[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bike in sidewalk.jpg (60 KB, 500x588)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
/bbg/ - Bike Buy General

Post what kind of riding you will be doing, your height, inseam if you know it, budget, and other relevant details about yourself and your needs, along with a link to your local Craigslist bike page.

Last thread: >>1287759
>>
>budget: 400 - 800
>height: 5'11
>weight: 290lb hunky ass loser that wants to lose weight and ride trails

What should I get? I'm thinking of buying from my local bike shop, they deal primarily in Trek and I see they have those Marlin mountain bikes there but I have no idea if that's what I need.
>>
File: banzai.jpg (3.18 MB, 3648x2736)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>I want to buy a hybrid

Ok, just spend the money to get an 8 or 9 speed one, not a 7 (21) speed one. Those are excessively cheap, use very old standards and are not durable.
Also, do not buy a bike with front suspension for casual riding. It just adds weight, something extra to break, and bounces up and down sapping your energy. Front suspension is for mountain biking. If you want comfort, fit wide supple tires.

>I want to spend under $500

If you have a good used market, you should really consider buying a used 90s bike at that price, as it will be better value for money and likely simply better.

>I want to go for rides over an hour

You should get a bike with drop bars.
>>
File: marin muirwoods.jpg (212 KB, 1500x924)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1301657
Marin Muirwoods
You get a steel frame, unlike most hybrids, so it has a more plush ride.
It should be able to handle your weight. You might want to fit wider tires though, to protect the wheels a bit more.

You could also look at hardtail mountainbikes, which also should be quite strong. Although suspension will be really frustrating for you, because it's not tuned for someone your weight so you'll waste a lot of energy into it. And if you lock it out, then you end up with a really stiff bike, stiffer than a bike with a rigid fork.

Post your craigslist and I'll see if you have any good used options if you want.

Buy yeah, go and try ride a muirwoods, they're really cool.
>>
File: marin-pine-mountain-1-1.jpg (326 KB, 1200x800)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
If you want something comfy and stupid you could also look at some plus tire bikes like pine mountain
They're going to be very slow because of the huge tires, and heavy, and won't have ideal grip for road riding, but you can bash them around, they'll ride very comfy, and you won't have to worry about breaking it.
>>
>>1301657
other than that, any 8 or 9 speed hardtail mtb is not a terrible idea, but look for bikes with more spokes on the wheels.
>>
>>1301661
my cl zip code is 60430
>>
>>1301664
just give me a link lol
>>
>>1301665
im phone posting at work. its the south chicago area
>>
>>1301659
>You should get a bike with drop bars.

Oh okay im gonna go tell everyone doing a cross country marathon to ditch their flat bars because thats over an hour.
>>
>>1301669
thanks
>>
>>1301669
It's obviously a generalization lad
>>
>>1301669
>t. rides a flat bar bike on the road and gentle paths and doesn't do XC marathons
>>
>>1301662
these are very tempting. suspensions dont do shit for my fat ass so ive thought about getting a fat tire bike
>>
>>1301678
That's a + tire bike, not a fat tire bike.
It's kind of like inbetween. Still stupid but not as stupid. Kona Unit X is another cool one. They're honestly really fun.
>>
>>1301678
the other thing you could consider, is touring bikes. You could get something road-esque, so ideal for cardio and losing weight, just with high bars, low gears, and suited for your weight because they're designed to be ridden loaded.

Like Fuji Touring
>>
>>1301678
Yeah, going without suspension is a good choice. Get a rigid 90s mtb.
Fat bikes are fun and good for snow, sand, mud, etc but they're slow. Lots of rolling resistance. Don't get one without test riding it first (of course you should test ride whatever bike you pick out before you buy it, but this is ESPECIALLY true for a fat bike if you've never ridden one)
>>
>>1301667
https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bik/d/new-lenox-2018-breezer-doppler-pro-56cm/6845826329.html

this is pretty damn cool
It's a size small but you could probably be comfortable on it. I think it's worth going and riding to check out and take 600 cash with you to offer if you like it.
>>
When I've bought an old bike (1980) and the chain is measurably lengthened, but everything still runs absolutely fine, should I change it?
As I see it, changing it risks that it'll run like shit afterwards cause the entire drivetrain is worn out with it already.
Or should I keep it, run it till it's all completely gone, then probably replace everything?
>>
>>1301753
You should be able to eyeball wear on your freewheel/cassette & chainrings, just by comparing them with each other, as each cog wears at different rates.

If your chainrings are badly worn, yeah, ride the whole drivetrain into the ground. If they aren't bad, then replace the chain, and the freewheel/cassette, unless that's really good too. If you're unsure, post some photos.

A new chain is just nicer to ride on in general.
>>
>>1301657
Poseidon X. $599 gravel bike.

I have the Poseidon Triton and have put 4000 miles on it. Am 280 lbs.

Don't listen to these skinny dudes on here telling you to get a heavy bike. Get a bike that weighs under 24 lbs, has 32 spoke wheels, and a couple of spacers under the drop bars (because you are new and big you wont like a slammed stem).

Chicago has a good CL if I recall. Do you have a crazy bike friend? Take him along for a fieldtrip. Don't buy from blacks.
>>
File: DSCF0560.jpg (498 KB, 2000x949)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
>>1301756
looks fine to me, but I don't know shit.
It's a 1980 Dura Ace groupset with friction shifters in case that matters.

So replacing it would be pretty costly, as I want to keep the bike as close to its original state as possible.
>>
>>1301800
Get a new chain.
Those teeth are pretty good. Not unworn, but lots of life left.
Change the chain asap. Riding a stretched chain will fuck them.
A new kmc 7spd chain is like $10.

The bike will ride better with a new chain.
>>
File: 8af.png (19 KB, 480x480)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1301804
Thanks
>>
>>1301753
>>1301809
Yeah, replace the chain, and hope it runs smoothly.
If it starts skipping after replacing the chain, then you could always throw your old chain back on and ride it all into the ground.
>>
>>1301998
Replaced the chain. Guessed which one I need cause old Dura Ace shit on absolutely all standards, even those of the time.
I went for a 6/7/8 speed chain even though it's wider than the one that was on there, but who knows what the fuck the previous owner did?

Runs fine, only now it rubs against the front derailleur cage in the lowest gear, but I guess that's nothing a quarter turn of the limiter screw won't fix.
>>
>>1302007
I assume you have a 5-speed freewheel? Then yes, a 6/7/8 speed chain is the correct chain.
>derailleur rub
Assuming you mean in the lowest gear ratio (small ring, biggest cog), not crosschaining: Might just be that your low limit screw is a little too tight like you said, or it could be that you don't have quite enough tension on the front shift cable. If you don't know how to adjust those, see these links:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNG7g83lI-s
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
>>
>>1302007
>>1302014
Sorry, I should have said that it could be that you have TOO MUCH (not too little) cable tension. But again, it may well just be the limit screw.
>>
>>1302014
Thanks, the adjustment screw fixed the grinding, but it still isn't running smooth in small chainwheel/big cog.

It's a 7-speed freewheel, but I read that on 7-speed pre-1990 Dura Ace, you're supposed to use a 9-speed chain instead, which is what was on there as well. Others (including Shimano themselves and all non-forum sites) say that 7 speed is 7 speed always.

So if I can't get it to run smooth, I'll maybe have to try a narrower chain. And if that doesn't work, I'm starting to suspect that the previous owner cobbled together his own gear assembly in the back, cause I haven't found a mention of a 30T big cog at that time anywhere.

Such is the life of trying to restore a vintage road bike instead of running it into the ground.
>>
>>1301798
290lb first poster here,
this is what i bought. my local bike shop fitted me for a bike and let me ride it. this one felt great.
>>
>>1302097
Wow, that's a step up from your original budget.
You can have lots of fun on that while watching those pounds melt away.
>>
>>1302104
yeah i didnt mind spending big bucks if its a worthy investment. time will tell. they didn't try to "sell" me that bike i just told them that i enjoyed it and they basically said "more power to ya its a good one"
>>
>>1302097
You did pretty well. Normally I vehemently oppose hybrids with suspension forks, but since you're fat and new to riding bikes, I think it will be a good option for you. What matters most is that it's a bike that you enjoy riding and spend a lot of time riding. Ride it, ride it hard, get fit. When you get in better shape you'll probably outgrow the bike and want a different type of bike especially if you do long rides (over 100km), but don't worry about that right now, this one will serve you well for quite a while.
>>
>>1302097
And I should add: If you decide you don't want a suspension fork (which you will likely decide once you get in significantly better physical shape), you can swap out the fork for a rigid fork instead of buying a whole new bike. But again, don't worry about that right now, just ride hard and get fit.
>>
>>1302116
>>1302118
yeah we'll see. also the suspension on that bike can be locked apparently. it has switches on it.
>>
>>1302025
anon replacing a chain is hardly a restoration, you're just servicing the most basic thing, like anyone would do.
>>
>>1302144
>it can be locked
yeah and then it's stiffer than the passive suspension a rigid fork gives you and still has the weight penalty

you got memed on
>>
>>1302175
>passive suspension
This is negligible unless it’s a steel fork with a decent amount of rake and of decent tubing. Better to go just for bigger and more compliant tyres
>>
>>1302178
wrong
there's a very tangible difference in ride quality between a locked out hardtail and any decent rigid frame
>>
>>1302175
>you got memed on

whatever i didnt buy it for that feature. im not experienced enough with bikes to be autistic about everything yet.
>>
File: toadline crimeboss.jpg (96 KB, 960x813)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1302181
it's still a fine bike
enjoy it lad
>>
>>1302097
Really bad value on that bike, you could have bought a killer XC hardtail like the Giant Fathom 29er 2 which would be much more versatile than a hybrid like that, specially with a tire swap.
>>
>>1302097
I think you bought a great bike that will last you many years. Ride the hell out of it!
>>
>>1302097
looks like fun dude get out there and shred
>>
File: IMG_20190321_181134.jpg (152 KB, 711x883)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Please help me choose the best bike! Money is secondary.
>>
File: IMG_20190321_181104.jpg (150 KB, 699x894)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1302308
>>
File: IMG_20190321_181030.jpg (132 KB, 607x915)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>1302308
>>1302309
>>
File: IMG_20190321_180936.jpg (160 KB, 705x891)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>1302308
>>1302309
>>1302310
How are my options?
>>
>>1302174
yeah, that's not the only thing I did or will do.
>>
File: 1552618688723.jpg (617 KB, 1405x933)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
>>
>>1302311
buy one from a store, new or used.
reason being that you linked bikes with sizes ranging from midget to giant, so you probably have no idea how to fit your bike and what to look for. Bike fit is the most important aspect for beginners. If it doesn't fit, it'll hurt and you'll hate riding. Don't spend less than 600 when buying new.
>>
File: 1552624776230.jpg (412 KB, 2175x1554)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>1302315
Thank you! I'd guess that a shop charges twice that tho.
>>
>>1302316
At a shop, you get a bike with lower tier components for the same price, but you also get a frame that fits you, a saddle that fits you, a stem that fits you and a guy who can make adjustments when something is off after the first long test ride.
Fit is more important than component tiers.

Plus, you get a bike that has been looked over by an LBS tech and not Jamal from South Central.
>>
>>1302321
How much is a good bike fit anyway?

Plus any parts and labor to make the bike fit.
>>
>>1302322
Depends. Parts may include a new fork and/or frame if you bought a bike that simply doesn't fit cause it was a great deal with full 105 groupset.

If it's generally the right size, expect to pay anywhere from 0 to $200 depending on where you go and how well you know the LBS.
>>
>>1302325
>>1302315
>$600 bike with probably not even claris
>$200 meme fit that tells you your vo2max
Is this typical for /bbg/? I don't normally open these, I just saw this by accident

This is why people shit on generals
>>
>>1302326
it's not really a legitamite bike fit if it takes less than 2 hours, and they don't shine lazers at your knees and make a 3d model of your asshole. Otherwise you're probably just going to injure yourself if you can't afford that

the general rule of thumb, is that you should spend 1/2 the value of your bike on the bike fit.
>>
>>1302341
I can adapt to all bikes. Like humans have always done. I'm not Goin to ride tour de farce or any other race
>>
>>1302341
This is some real triathlete shit right here
>>
File: 20190309_162813.jpg (3.58 MB, 4032x1960)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
What's the best Carbon handlebars for MTB?
>>
>>1302370
are u just a retard who wants to waste money on something sketchy or do u actually have a top tier rig and you're extremely fit yourself and marginal gains make sense
>>
>>1302370

If you think a 3k$ visit to the dentist is a worthwhile investment, be my guest.
>>
>>1302370
Syncros Fraser
>>
is ktm any good?
eastern yuropoor here
>>
>>1302311
just spent 600euro on a new one dingbat
>>
>>1302461
Generally, yes. They offer everything from low end (but no BSO's) to highest tier, for all forms of cycling, and have a decent value for money.
>>
Specialized Crosstrail Sport 2017 for 250$ in really good condition, good deal?
>>
>>1301653
>TFW slowly assembling accessories for a new bike next month
>>
>>1302528
cool tnx for the info
>>
5'8 180lb chunky boy here looking to get into MTB trail riding as it looks fun and like a good replacement for snowboarding in the summer
Budget is $400 - $600 but I can go above if needed
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia is my local Craigslist
>>
>>1302552
Contact these immediately:
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/d/grand-rapids-haro-double-peak-29/6841689265.html?lang=de
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/d/grand-rapids-santa-cruz/6834288790.html?lang=de
>>
>>1301653
/n/ I NEED YOUR HELP!
3 days ago i was run over by a car, and my commuting/winter bike was totally destroyed.
It was a Cube agree Carbon bike with Ultegra, and it was nice. However sometimes i would have loved some more clearance for wider tyres, and disc brakes.

This is where my questions comes! I have been given money to replace the bike by my insurance, but i have no idea what to look for!
I want a drop handlebar bike which can run decently fast with normal road bike tyres, but also fit gravel tyres on it, so i can go offroad.
It also has to have disc brakes.
What would you guys buy, if you had a budget of 2500$ A roadbike? CX, Gravel or something else?
>>
>>1302097
looks good anon! remember, aside from normal cleaning and lubing, to buy some silicone spray to spray on the suspension forks regularly. that will keep them running smoothly and protect from rust.
>>
>>1302588
Damn thanks man, these look great
>>
>>1302602
Salsa Vaya if you want something fun and versatile, but a bit slower. I've ridden lots of different bikes and worked at two LBSs and the Vaya is one of the most fun bikes I've ridden in my life, highly recommend. However it's not going to be as fast or light as a road bike. It's designed for having fun and going on adventures.

An alu or carbon gravel or cx bike if you want something light and fast.
>>
File: image.jpg (849 KB, 1569x906)
849 KB
849 KB JPG
Are these bikes decent? I’m considering it for my commute with some weekend trips.
>>
>>1302638
That style of bike? Yes, they're great.

That specific bike? Not sure what brand it is so idk.
>>
>>1302638
yeah dude that looks very decent
columbus tubing, conventional 9spd setup, very versatile, 3 sets of bottle mounts,

I don't always love nu-cinellis, but cinelli is one of the oldest most prestigious cycling brands, and that one seems good.

The one slightly odd thing is the top routed cables, which is a design to keep them away from mud (normally they run down the bottom of the bike), but means the housings are longer and so have more friction and shifting might be a little worse and you've got a lot of cables on your top tube. I've never had a bike like that but it's a bit unconventional, not really bad though, just a thing.

It's also a little wierd that the top rail on the front rack, isn't parallel to the ground. I mean what the fuck? It's a stock rack and it doesn't fit the bike. What are they smoking in italy.

But yeah nah, if you like it, go for it.
>>
>>1302638
the one other downside i can think of, and this doesn't really matter that much, is that there is no boss on the frame for barrel adjusters.
That rear derailer has a barrel adjuster, to adjust shifting, but any higher end new mtb derailer, does not.
It looks like that bike has in-line barrel adjusters partway through in the cables themselves, right at the front, but that is an akward strange way of tuning a derailer.
So it would be slightly annoying to upgrade.

But this doesn't matter that much.

Another very very similiar option for a touring bike like that, is a fuji touring. I would buy which one of those two you like more for arbitrary reasons like which paint you like more and stuff, or just which you can find locally and test ride
>>
File: IMG_7852-1024x768.jpg (131 KB, 1024x768)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>1302097
>brushed aluminum with chrome letters

Jesus Christ that is fucking slick
>>
Hey there /n/. I'm getting a little older and a little more successful and am thinking about buying myself a nice bike, ideally I like the idea of a titanium frame because I've broken 2 CF frames in the last 6 years due to shitty road surface in my area. I'm 5'5", currently bike is a 51cm and slightly too big, weigh 140 lbs and my budget is about 3.5-4k for an entire bike or 2500ish for a frame set. What would y'all recommend?
>>
>>1302830
>I'm 5'5"
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>1302830
I'd get high end steel man. The ride is gonna be just as good and it's probably more durable. I think they look better too. Ti is kinda gaudy imo.
Throw in some custom wheels, with a dynamo hub, and an r8000 group

Gunnar or Waterford is my rec.
>>
>>1302833
Anon is used to carbon. Steel is heavy as fuck. Titanium is about as light as carbon. I love steel and I ride my steel bikes more than my carbon bikes, but a steel bike is really not the kind of bike anon is looking for.
>>
>>1302837
Have you ever ridden a high end modern steel bike? It's a different beast. And we're talking about a couple hundred grams. You can get a pretty damn light steel frameset.

It's considered to be comparable to ti.
>>
>>1302830
maybe even try find a local builder to do a custom frame for you. That would be a pretty cool experience and you can probably just afford it.
>>
>>1302833 Isn't a steel bike gonna be significantly more heavy than a Ti bike? I'm not a massive weight weenie but I don't think I could go back to a 20 pounder after riding on sub 15's for the last ten years.
>>
>>1302841
>Have you ever ridden a high end modern steel bike?
Admittedly no, but if steel has gotten to the point where it can be almost as light as ti, that is very surprising to me. Not saying you're wrong.
>>
>>1302833
Also, and maybe this is an unfounded fear, but I live in the Pacific Northwest and my bike gets wet, a lot. Is corrosion gonna be an issue with steel?
>>
>>1302860
It shouldn't be. Get some Frame Saver and coat the inside of your frame with it (you'll just need the bike disassembled, spray Frame Saver inside the tubing, block the holes with paper towels, and shake the frame around).
Rust on the outside of your frame is unlikely to be a problem as long as you take good care of your bike.
>>
>>1302860
no lol
>>
https://discord.gg/5WDwYG6
>>
>>1302830
>I've broken 2 CF frames in the last 6 years due to shitty road surface in my area
how exactly?
>>
File: made in china.gif (1.96 MB, 350x276)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
>>1302867
She probably got Chinese frames on eBay lol
>>
>>1302866
>not posting the /n/ discord link
https://discord.gg/QNXdTx
>>
>>1302870
unfortunately I'm male, just a massive manlet. Both times they cracked at the place where the skewer rests when the back wheel is in place. I have some very large hills here and rapid descents + giant chunky potholes = smashing my back wheel pretty damn hard pretty much unavoidably. First time i thought it was a fluke but I broke my Cervelo last week and I'm just done with carbon fiber.
>>
>>1302884
>the place where the skewer rests when the back wheel is in place
So many words when you could have just said 'the rear dropouts', kek
>but I broke my Cervelo last week
rip
>>
>>1302884
it's fucking annoying but you also do feel a little bit like a boss when you ride like such a hard cunt that you break frames
>>
File: amandla-stenberg-2.jpg (369 KB, 1220x2000)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>1302896
>pedantry about gratuitous explanations
>'rear dropouts'
>>
>>1302897
>tfw I shattered my carbon enduro bike's frame by jumping a flight of steps at the university campus
>tfw one time when I was jumping steps at the university a police car showed up and I didn't know if they were there for me so I got tf out of there
>>
>>1302830
Litespeed Ti frames are considered the coolest and best mainstream Ti bike maker.

If you DGAF Motobecane makes a pretty nice Ti frame as well.
>>
>>1302899
Are you trying to say something, anon? You do realize 'rear dropouts' is the correct term, right? Faggot.
>>
File: 02.jpg (32 KB, 360x288)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1302902
their just called dropouts
>>
>>1302901
>Litespeed Ti frames are considered the coolest and best mainstream Ti bike maker.

lolno
>>
>>1302903
Except front dropouts exist too, retard
>>
>>1302904
Could you recommend some others? I know of Litespeed and Lynskey, as far as Ti goes.
>>
>>1302906
not part of the frame
>>
>>1302909
Kingdom
>>
>>1302884
Have Ruckus repair the dropouts (should cost like $500), mount your rear wheel properly and don't overtorque the locknut, and avoid potholes. Ti can have the same issues if you slam it, except it'll crack at a weld and be unfixable. Steel can also break, except it's usually fixable.

That said, since you're in the PNW, I'd hit up Breadwinner. The Breadwinner Lolo and B-Road frames are really fockin' noice. If you're dead-set on Ti, TiCycles is breddy gud, tho I couldn't say if he's better than Lynskey or Moots.
>>
is a mtb an ok choice for commuting?
>>
>>1302624
looks cool. will look into it. thanks anon
>>
>>1302978
If it's a hardtail and has slicks and a rigid or lockable fork, then yes.
Otherwise, it's better than walking, I guess.
>>
>>1302990
okay
this is the one I'm planning to buy

thoughts anyone?
>>
>>1302532
???
>>
>>1303039
If it's for commuting, you could do a LOT better for 500€.

Since they ship it only partly assembled, you could do a HELL OF A LOT better buying used.
>>
>>1302791

>>1302796
Thanks bro. Really good info.
>>
>>1302656
>>1302656
>Not sure what brand it is so idk.

It's a Cinelli, one of the last remaining Italian brands still surviving. They make hipster bikes now that are about $200 overpriced but they are cool as fuck.

In the end they are no more overpriced than any other overpriced "cool" steel brand like Masi or All-City.
>>
>>1303039
According to /n/ you will DIE if you ride an MTB with a front fork on a road.

However the entire country of Brazil rides hardtail MTBs. Germans, never known for their extravagance, also love bikes with front fork for commutes.

That being said if you are mail ordering get a Vitus Razor or Triban for 500 euro
>>
>>1302867
With carbon you have to be careful not to overtorque any screws or else it's just fucked
>>
Hey, it's my first post on /n/

What are your thoughts on electric bikes?
Eurofag here, Poland, if that matters
>>
>>1302849
Does 5 pounds on a bike really make a bigger difference than losing 5 pounds on the body? And where the heck do people get bikes that light that will hold anything besides themselves?
>>
>>1303076
cool because they get older people or people with injuries into riding. cool because it is one less cage.

not that cool when they DONT MARK THEIR STRAVA AS E-Bikes.

not cool when you are using your human motor and some 55 year old retiree passes you on the flats.
>>
>>1303074
Bikes are all bikes and you can ride anything but what's even the point in asking for advice from enthusiasts if you're not interested in looking at all past what other casuals do and what you'll be steered towards at a local shop?
so many people just come here to ignore advice and hopefully get a nice pat on the back for their milquetoast choices.

Just how tolerant of newfags and lacking any preferences or opinions, do you want this board to be?
>>
>>1303079
>Does 5 pounds on a bike really make a bigger difference than losing 5 pounds on the body?

yes, lots.

> And where the heck do people get bikes that light that will hold anything besides themselves?

Almost every bike today is rated for at least 220 lbs and in reality they can hold much more. Limiting factor is the wheels/spoke count (a $300 set of Shimano ultegra 32 spoke wheels will hold a 325 lb person).

I was a 325 lb person, now a 275 lb person I've put 3000 miles on my road bike in the last 15 months. I hated bikes that weren't a mountain bike going downhill. Nobody ever told me to just buy a road bike. It's insane. Mine isn't even that light- it's a 61cm AL framed bike that weighs 23.0 lbs with cages and (empty) bottles
>>
File: image.jpg (489 KB, 931x1902)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
I’m the guy considering a Cinelli and I’ve been using hydraulic disc brakes for years. If I go back to this style rim brake am I going to regret it? I do a lot of city riding but no downhill.
>>
>>1303085
nah, cantis are really quite good when you set them up well
they're a cunt to setup though
>>
>>1303084
I've already got a 20 pound bike, I mostly want to know where anyone gets a 15 pounder at a reasonable price.
>>
File: briftin 4 lyfe.jpg (249 KB, 800x800)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>1303082
I hear you bro. My counterpoint is that a spring front susp roadbike with a triple is essentially just a way more awesome and comfy cruiser that you can take on 99% of trails.

Of course I tell everyone here to take the roadpill and not to fall for the 'allroad' meme.

>Just how tolerant of newfags and lacking any preferences or opinions, do you want this board to be?

Since bikes are egalitarian, probably much more tolerant than most boards. Plus /tv/ doesn't like tv, /v/ doesn't like videogames but it still appears that /n/ likes bikes.

I would also like to say that the Suntour XC line of forks (aka what goes on a sub 1k mtb) are miles ahead of old shitty spring forks and they do a great job for what they are intended for.
>>
>>1303089
>I mostly want to know where anyone gets a 15 pounder at a reasonable price

Giant TCR
Fuji SL
Kestrel Talon

are all pretty reasonable and lightweight.
>>
>>1303080
What's Strava?
>>
>>1303089
Used. I got my Cervelo R3 for like $1400 with full ultegra.
>>
>>1303096
An app that lets THEM know where you live and how fit you are, to plan the culling that is coming soon.
>>
>>1303122
Who is they?
>>
>>1303126
Antarctican Jewish lizard people lead by Hitler, Soros and Clinton.
>>
>>1303144
Oh gotcha, they already have all of my other information, I don't think they care what my FTP is.
>>
I'm looking for a steel commuter with flat bars. My options seem limited...?
Can anyone give me any suggestions?
>>
>>1303220
rigid 90s mtb with slicks
or
marin muirwoods
>>
>>1303220
>steel
unless you have a budget of $800+, post your local Craigslist. Steel is a premium enthusiasts market now if you don't buy used.
>>
>>1303039
Are you riding really bad streets?

On my third world shithole there is some rock garden tier potholes, so a front fork is a must to go fast.
>>
>185 lbs 5'11, /fit/
>looking to get into riding bikes, never really rode bikes in my life. Want to zip around town pedaling as fast as I can.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1420539229

Im unsure of the price this guy has on it.
>>
>>1303236
Dont get a fixie.
>>
>>1303238
Why not?
>>
>>1303092
These aren't 15 pounders but I'll be looking out for them.
>>1303116
Of course.

>>1303239
If you want to go fast downhill and uphill, you need more than one gear.
>>
>>1303239
Because fixies are garbage. You should be considering an old ten speed road bike from Craigslist or something like an All-City Macho Man or Space Horse or Mr Pink, Surly Pacer, Specialized Allez, Kona Rove, etc. Salsa Vaya is super fun but maybe not quite as fast.

>>1302978
>>1303039
A rigid 90s mtb with semislicks is a good option for commuting. A modern mountain bike is not. You do not want suspension for commuting. Please do not get a bike with suspension. Used 90s rigid mtb or used old ten speed road bike or any of these:
Kona Dew Plus
Marin Fairfax
GT Tachyon
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus (Vita if femanon)
Cannondale Bad Boy
Giant Escape
Salsa Vaya
Surly Straggler
All-City Macho Man
Kona Rove
Kona Jake
>>
>>1303251
>A rigid 90s mtb with semislicks is a good option for commuting. A modern mountain bike is not.
Pretty sure a modern cross country bike with fast rolling tires is heaps faster than any 90s rigid mtb.
>>
>>1303511
it's also in a price range that allows you to buy an actual commuter bike.
using MTBs for commuting only makes sense of you can't afford anything recent and good.
>>
>>1303239
Fixies are great, but not for getting into cycling, more for commuting in the literal ghetto or a fun third bike. Expensive fixies make no sense.
>>
>>1303517
It also makes sense if I don't want to buy two bikes and ride trails.
>>
File: 182620_12-LG-HD.jpg (438 KB, 2280x1283)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
>>1303541
>ride trails
I am so sick of this phrase. 90% of the time it means gentle shared paths.
If you're actually riding singletrack, those tires are going to be terrible for commuting on road, and if the 'trails' are as tame as they generally are when people say that, you could literally just ride them on a road bike, and a commuter or rigid 90s mtb is probably ideal.
>>
>>1303543
lost his arm in a cabbage shredder
most common way to lose an arm in germany
>>
>>1303220
>I'm looking for a steel commuter with flat bars.

Raleigh Carlton 8 is $403 on sale right now via the Raleigh corporate portal. Just sign up as a dealer you get pretty sweet discounts.

Also on the site that fits your criteria:
Raleigh Back Alley (SS with flip flop hub) $311
Raleight Redux 2 (8 speed, MTB geo, Rigid, flat bars, disc brakes) $579
Raleigh Preston (SS, disc brakes, copper mustache bars, retro seat and colors) 269.99
>>
File: lexaslx.png (1008 KB, 1490x1080)
1008 KB
1008 KB PNG
gf is eyeing this for about $500. She doesn't really bike but would like to get around the city/work up to longer day rides. Bike's in v good shape. Good idea or mistake for a first bike?
>>
>>1303673
If it's the exact bike in the pic, that seems to be a decently specced run-of-the-mill beginner road bike, possibly a $800 value new. But don't post any links or even its name or anything so we could get more info.
>>
>>1303673
First bike EVER or first road bike? Drop bars are a bit much for a first bike ever, especially if she's only going on short trips (less than 5 miles). But it's not terrible. The brakes are probably going to be dogshit flexy crap that ride up the rims and blow out the sidewalls, I'd plan on replacing those with original shimano (those low end bikes usually advertise "shimano groupset" but they swap in random generic garbage for anything other than the shifters and rear derailleur)
>>
>>1303677
Ooops, didn't see the Altus lever and RD. More like $650 new.
>>
>>1303681
This is so correct and most people getting into bikes don’t understand how dangerous drop bars are for novices. It takes years of practice to become experienced enough to handle them safely, I can’t tell you how many broken collar bones could have been prevented if people stopped trying to look “pro” on their drop bar bikes.
>>
>>1303681
no trek is going to implode on a rider 3 years into it's lifespan. you are an insane person.

>>1303673
I respectfully disagree with the others, drop bars are fine for a newbie. Just take her out to parking lot and neighborhood rides so she can get the hang of the drops, etc. She will probably be scared initially to use the drops.
>>
Sorry rushed morning. It's a 2013 Trek Lexa SLX. She can ride/had a crappy hybrid, but I think this will be her first road bike.
>>
>>1303696
wut
It's not like it takes SKILL to use drop bars
>>
File: Ladies-laughing-.jpg (656 KB, 2365x2057)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
>>1303696
>most people getting into bikes don’t understand how dangerous drop bars are for novices. It takes years of practice to become experienced enough to handle them safely

incompetent retard
>>
>>1303673
Should be fine, as long as its what she's interested in. imho the twitchy steering of a road bike is something we might all be used to but can be troublesome for new riders. but its nothing she won't get used to. If she wants to get into road rides as you say I would think it would be a good first bike. Also mostly 105 drivetrain for $500 is a steal, even if used a bit

I wouldn't worry about the drops...you work up to using them, I had a gf who was glued to the hoods because her balance was awful and had a hard time moving one hand from the flats to hoods to shift or brake. She eventually got over it. Maybe your gf is better coordinated though.
>>
>>1303717
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=3044731
https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2013/Trek/lexa_slx_compact#/us/en/2013/Trek/lexa_slx_compact/details
https://road.cc/content/review/93301-trek-lexa-slx-women-specific-road-bike

tl/dr: good deal
>>
>>1302370
renthal fatbar
>>
>>1302552
>>1302588
i'd ask for receipts on that santa though. if the dude can't provide proof of ownership that price is sketchy as fuck.
>>
Found out today that work has a Cycle to Work scheme, which basically knocks 30% off of any bike up to £1000. Any recommendations for <£1000 for something of an investment bike. Mostly light commuting and some longer weekends rides in mind, all on road.
>5'8/9"
>/fit/
>>
I posted this in the wrong thread, so here it is again.

Any thoughts on the Marin Nicasio RC?
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-pavement-fitness-transit-beyond-road-nicasio-rc

Are internal gears and belt drives just a meme? I'm looking for something to get me to work, and something that can take on gravel roads. I know about proper gravel bikes, but I don't feel comfortable on drop bars, and like sitting upright when I ride.
>>
>>1303866
>all on road
Just get a Sora-equipped road bike from a major manufacturer, plus some fenders and misc. stuff you'll need.
Unless your roads are shit, then you should get a road bike that can fit wider tires, but I've no idea if they're called CX, all road, gravel, endurance, rando, or something else this week.
>>
>>1303868
If you're planning to go up actual hills, derailleurs are better. For commuting, IGH + belt is god-tier.
>>
>>1303868
>Are internal gears and belt drives just a meme?
Yes

>I don't feel comfortable on drop bars
People generally spend most of the time on the hoods of the brake levers, which I feel holds the wrist in a much more natural position than flat bars. Most "gravel" bikes are going to have a fairly upright positioning compared to a typical road bike. Even on a road bike, you can generally go from almost fully upright to full aero tuck on the same bike, especially if you go one frame size down.
>>
>>1303871
Roads are likely to be fine anywhere I'd take it out besides me commute, so that isn't a concern.
As an aside, what's /n/'s verdict on using a plain road bike for consecutive long stretches/touring? Nothing longer than a week.
>>
>>1303875
>As an aside, what's /n/'s verdict on using a plain road bike for consecutive long stretches/touring? Nothing longer than a week.

perfectly fine. Just make sure everything is in good mechanical order before pushing off.
>>
>>1303875
IMO it depends on season and camping yes/no.
If you are touring in summer and sleeping in houses, a road bike is god tier, cause you need almost no luggage.
If you are camping, or riding in winter, you'll carry around loads, so you won't go fast anyway and a more comfy tourer.
If there are any stretches of sand on your route (common along the coast), wide tires and low gearing are a must, so road bikes are out. Even 5 miles of deep sand can ruin your entire day with narrow tires and a loaded bike.
>>
>>1303074
>However the entire country of Brazil rides hardtail MTBs

yes, at 15mph, spinning in the wrong gear, often seen pushing their bike uphill by foot if it's more than 5%
i have a rigid mtb singlespeed conversion and have never seen a commuter faster than me -and i'm not fast- or pedalling the hills all the way up
they've just all been memed by their local zé bike shop and edu capivara into being whiny thinking you will absolutely die and explode your bike if you ride on the shithole streets with a rigid fork and that there's nothing wrong about jumping into the sidewalks when you feel like.
also not surprising is that 99% of macacos out there have their seat lower than their handlebars
>>
>>1303876
>>1303879
Good shit lads. Planning on touring for the first time come summer, glad to know I don't necessarily have to fork out the extra dough for a tour bike.
>>
File: appat.jpg (769 KB, 1600x1200)
769 KB
769 KB JPG
>>1303904
Any bike you take on a tour is a touring bike. I toured for over a week on this.
>>
>>1303868
I recently bought a Marin Nicasio, and I love it!

The RC has a few extra additions such as fenders and hydraulic brakes I believe.

The RC has flat bars, but personally I think drop bars would be better for a commuter bike. If you ride on it every day you'll quickly grow to like drop bars I think.
>>
What does /n/ think of a Jamis Allegro II x for 150$ - whatever I can haggel, it seems essentially brand new
>>
>>1301653
>Budget - $0-150
>height 6'2
>weight 195lbs all muscle

Looking for something slightly better than walmart quality that I can upgrade over time. I will be riding hilly trails on my land in NKY.

This seems like a good deal, what do you reckon, bike gods?

https://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/d/brooks-cannondale-m400-mountain-bike/6829396152.html
>>
>>1304156
I'm not far from Cincy either, I should add

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/hamilton-chopper/6844453342.html
>>
>>1304156
yeah that cannondales not bad but i think this;
https://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/d/louisville-specialized-hardrock-22-inch/6846443063.html
or this if you can afford it (worth it)
https://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/d/louisville-marin-muirwoods-hybrid-20/6826820138.html
are better options

Really though, there's no real option which isn't this;
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/mason-trek-9200-mountain-bike/6848672948.html
TOP TIER STUPID RETARDED COLLECTIBLE MEME BIKE DEORE XT TOP OF THE LINE WEEEOOOOWEEOOOOWEEOOOOO
please get this even though it probably rides like shit it will be fun
>>
>>
>>1304265
kek
I would unironically ride that down a gnarly canyon trail
>>
>>1303977
it was $750 new so make sure it isn't stolen.
>>
>>1304263
I want that Trek!
>>
What's the deal with bikedirect? The prices almost seem too good to be true.
>>
>>1304429
>They are ordering their frames from the same Chinese factory as the lower-end competition (in Hebei, I believe–you can find their frames on Alibaba), note SE bikes, Fuji bikes, etc.
>They are speccing their bikes with some non-branded parts produced en-masse in China without dedicated design or no longer used by the big brands. And as a side comment, it is impossibly hard to compare specs on their website.
>Models are rarely upgraded from year to year
>Pretty much this is a part-slapping-onto-frame operation, and you get what you ask for.
>>
>>1304429
They use gruppos from a previous year and buy cranksets that have triples which are out of fashion. They aren't really spending any money on updating frames from year to year.

There is nothing wrong with a BD bike. But some are better deals than others. Their best price point is low-middle end components. They are one of the lowest in terms of sourcing a claris driven AL road bike. Only direct equivalent on price are the other direct to consumer retailers.

On their MTB's they are putting one level less beefy of a shock. They are using Suntour XCM instead of the superior Suntour XCR you'll find on nearly every other 500-700 dollar MTB.
>>
>>1304431
>>1304440
So, if my craigslist is terrible this is a good place to get "new old stock"?
>>
>>1304338
No way
>>
>>1304476
It's good in general if you're looking for a good unused bike, but not necessarily need the latest technology. Just make sure you know what components are actually on the bike and don't get blinded by an XT derailleur while the hubs are no-name.
>>
>>1304516
OK just checked again. Need more info. Bikes named Jamis Allegro 2X go for $345 or $750, probably others even less or even more.

We need to know how it's specced then.
>>
>>1304520
Apparently only ridden a once/all stock, it even still has one of the original tags on it. it's either a 2011 or 2010 based on bicyclebluebook
>>
>>1304526
You don't understand, they're sold in varying configurations. Like you can buy a car in base trim or loaded.
>>
>>1302532
bump
>>
>>1304760
Crosstrails suck because suspension does not belong on hybrids. But if for whatever dumbfuck reason you want a hybrid with suspension, yes, that's a quite good price if it truly is in 'really good condition'. Make sure to test ride it and verify that it shifts smoothly and doesn't skip, especially in the smallest cog (small cog wears out the fastest and as such is most likely to cause the drivetrain to skip).
>>
I'm thinking about buying a Salsa Timberjack Deore 29er as my first trail bike. Does that sound like a good choice.
>>
>>1304873
If you don't want rear suspension and you want meme 2.6" tires, yeah. Imo trail bikes should have more like 2.3" and should have a bit of rear travel but it's really personal preference.
>>
Hey guys what's the bets mtbiking helmet?
>>
Really considering an e bike for errands and commuting.

https://www.pushys.com.au/shogun-sb100-electric-bicycle-18.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqZGGvtCh4QIVQiQrCh1jkgCPEAkYASABEgIUtvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

how does this look, any e bike advice?
>>
>>1304941
Giro Hex
>>
>>1305031
It'll probably not kill you, but all the info they give for basically every component is "alloy".
Don't buy a $1500 BSO. Get a $2k actual ebike, or buy used.
>>
>>1305031
i agree with above, although it's not a strictly terrible idea.
the line for ebikes, like regular bikes is 8 or 9 speed, not 7.
it's good it doesn't have a crappy suspension fork though.

I also think the best thing is to get a bbs02 or bbshd mid-drive kit and put it on something decent.
>>
>>1304941
Giro Montaro is nice. If you want max safety and are willing to pay 200-300 dollars for the newest technology, there's new helmets that use new safer technologies which are Bontrager Blaze WaveCel and Smith Forefront 2 MIPS koroyd. SUPPOSEDLY the WaveCel is safer than koroyd, but that's just comparing Bontrager's claims to Koroyd manufacturer's claims.
>>
Tommaso - yay or nay?
>>
>>1305057
I had one of their top of the line carbon bikes with Dura Ace years ago.
I liked it but there were lots of small defects like the clearcoat peeling and bottle cage bosses coming unglued

It's not a premium italian brand. It's a chinkshit brand. This was ages ago so maybe their quality control has changed, iunno. I mean really all bike brands are basically ok. I think I'd personally probably prefer like a lower tier of componentry on something more reputable though, but that's not a very strongly held opinion.
>>
>>1305057
the brands strategy is basically hoping people confuse them with tomassini
>>
>>1304776
I do want suspension.
But aside from it, is it a good bike?
>>
>>1304535
ah, no clue
>>
>>1305102
Well, it's a hybrid, not a mountain bike, so it depends on why you want suspension. If you want an actual mountain bike, then I would suggest checking pinkbike.com/buysell and buying a real mountain bike
If you are dead set on a hybrid with suspension, then yeah, the Crosstrail is fine. It's a good quality bike for a casual cyclist. The only problem with it is that suspension doesn't belong on hybrids. If you really, really want a hybrid with suspension then a Crosstrail Sport for $250 in good condition is about as good as you could possibly do.
>>
>>1305256
when i ride my road bike i often find myself in situations where i think 'i wish i had suspension' so thats the reason honestly, also, i have some really light trails nearby which i could probably ride with a hybrid
>>
>>1302884
you could probably do better than a cervelo as far as carbon frames are concerned. There are good offerings from Giant (TCR?), though I admit I'm not as up to date on the models as I used to be. TCR.
>>
Do I have to get autistic about what kinda bike I wanna buy? So many options it makes my head spin. I just wanna ride around town; to the gym, to work, to my moms, and maybe just explore a bit.

Those marin muirwoods seem pretty decent. Is that the kinda thing I should be looking for?

>6'2"
>220lbs
> less than $1000 CAD budget. remember its CAD
>>
>>1305382
>Those marin muirwoods seem pretty decent. Is that the kinda thing I should be looking for?
I would buy exactly that. All the competition/similiar bikes won't have the chromoly frame. I've ridden to compare and think it makes a difference.
>>
>>1305382
also you're gonna want an XL, try find one in a shop you can test ride. The Rhasta colours look really good in person too imo if you want something cooler than just black.
>>
>>1305433
>>1305435
thanks friend
>>
>>1305382
If you were interested in buying Canadian you can get a NORCO Valence Claris for 999 CAD according to the website. That's a solid, lightweight, responsive, fast bike for unde $1000 and would be IMO more fun to ride than a Marin because it would be 9-10 lbs lighter.
>>
>>1305502
this isn't a bad idea, but it's not really an issue of better or worse,
more upright position with wider tires and a comfy steel frame is more 'fun' for cruising around at lower speeds and riding off curbs and riding on gravel and stuff and it will handle racks and loads better than a road bike like that

but i agree if he's young and fit he should strongly consider a drop bar road bike like you suggest, especially for riding in a hilly area, or if he wants to get cardio in.
>>
File: shrekprano.png (1.24 MB, 906x680)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
Hey gang, looking at some CL ads in my area. I am a casual commuter not big into gucci bikes, but looking to upgrade to a higher quality. Prefer steel and fixed gear. My last bike was an SE draft lite (got stolen) and I liked it a lot but know it's hi-ten crap and I could do better for a bit more.

Can anyone tell me how these deals look? Thanks senpai

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-55cm-milwaukee-single-speed/6824793982.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/bik/d/champlin-surly-steamroller/6847591619.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-specialized-langster/6805389301.html
>>
>>1306341
should add that the price on the milwaukee is down to $500 per a more recent ad
>>
>>1306341
They all look good.
Decide if you want to pay a $300 premium for a Cromoly frame instead of aluminium (I would, cause what's the point of an alloy fixie).
Then decide if you want 26" or 700c wheels (I would go for the 700c, cause it rolls better on road and you won't take the Surly down any trails either).
So I'd go for the Milwaukee. Try to haggle a bit, but if the components are really all new, it's worth it.
>>
>>1302929
>except it'll crack at a weld and be unfixable

Why do bike people think METAL is unfixable? It's easier to find a TIG welder who does repairs than it is to find a carbon specialist who can do a job properly. Also carbon frames are molded by pressure from the inside out, you can never repair it to be how it was originally.
>>
>>1306344
Thanks for the insight. I think I agree re: frame material.

i'm not super experienced at haggling, what kind of range do you think is reasonable to offer for that one?
>>
>>1306356
Me neither, I'd take a look at it, try to find some flaw (paint blemishes, missing freewheel) , ask if he'll take closer to $400, try to get settled on $450, but basically accept if he's firm. Cause that thing is in good shape.

Bring some pedals and a set of allen keys to adjust saddle height in case he doesn't, so you can test ride in any case.
>>
>>1306354
>Why do bike people think METAL is unfixable?
Because bike frames have extremely thin wall strengths that are designed to deal with the stresses involved if they are undamaged.
There's lots of welders around, but not too many who can weld a 2mm tube wall that your life depends on.
>>
File: IMG_20180626_153439.jpg (828 KB, 1728x3072)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
>>1306368
The great thing about metal is that no matter how much you fuck it up you can always add more or chop a section out and replace it completely. A welded joint already has thicker material and fixing a crack on it should be much easier than joining the two tubes originally.

My remote lockout lever was cracked because the dumdums who designed it put a hole through the body with like 0.5mm of wall thickness. The manufacturer told me to take it to a dealer and order a replacement (which was also destined to fail) so instead I paid some guy off craigslist $20 to weld it and add more material to the area.
>>
>>1306390
Your remote lockout lever isn't a structural part.
Your frame is. Do you want to trust your life on some Craigslist welder's ability to not accidentally overheat your frame at one point, fuck up its heat treatment, significantly lower its tensile strength and bury your front teeth in your steerer when you hit a pothole at speed?
>>
>>1306394
More than I'd trust any carbon repair.
>>
File: barcelona_1000px_green.jpg (200 KB, 1000x1000)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
Citizen Barcelona ridden 8times
It has a bunch of girly options and special colorway. What is a good price of one in mint condition? Are they good bikes?
>>
>>1302532
>>1305315
Price is B+. Fork is trash. Don't know about the brakes. I'll assume you know your fit.

You should at least check your local mountain bike options for comparison. There may be better ones in that price range.

>>1303074
Germans are ALSO known for overengineering. Don't get a front fork if you don't need it. If you DO get a front fork, get a good one and not low end garbage. Quite a few forks are worse than no fork at all.

>>1303091
The XC series goes from better to worse
XCR, XCM, XCT

You should be trying to get above the XCR class, even at 1k.

>>1303977
Recent year? Suspiciously cheap.

>>1304429
They specialize in last year's, about to be discontinued tech thrown on maxway and kinesis frames. They also sometimes cut corners. Their saddles and pedals are infamously bad. Know exactly what you're getting and don't be a mechanical retard.

There's legit deals to be had, especially if your CL is weak, but there's also some real dogs in their lineup.
>>
>>1303228
Nah you just need to hunt the bargains. I bought this for $450 last year. It was on sale because it was the 2017 model.
>>
>>1306557
noice. it's like that dude who got the balleur marin for $350.
>>
>>1301653
is ebay good for cheap old road bikes? i've only bought [spoiler]anime figures off ebay[/spoiler]
>>
>>1306639
I found some absolute treasures on ebay. As with everything, it varies by region. And you can't test ride before you buy.
>>
Question for any fellow bo/n/gs. C2W voucher scheme is back at work knocking pretty much 30% off any bike up to a value of a grand. Only issue is at present we're restricted to getting a bike from Halfords, although as I understand it you can circumvent this somewhat by ordering a bike they themselves don't stock through the store. Anyone had any experience doing so?
>>
looking at a Jari 2.5 for a commuter, short range daytripper, light trails

what's the best place (US) to shop for equipment and parts with all the money I'll be saving?
>>
What options do I have as a 6'8 lanklet?

I'll mostly just be commuting in the city, and as for budget, somewhere around $400 - $600 would be ideal if possible.
>>
>>1306671
You should be able to go to Cycle Republic, as they have the same parent company. I've used Halfrauds vouchers in CR before.

Pop in and talk to them about it they can probably make it work.

They do some nice bikes in CR.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1306884
Get an old bike boom ten speed, those things have fucked up geometry perfect for people with weird skeletons
>>
>>1306887
Do you happen to know if Halfords still offer the old deal of being able to source any bike though? The SLR 8.9c looks like it could be decent, but for the same money an Allez Elite looks to offer more bang per buck
>>
>>1306890
Educate yourself how they have to be fitted, it's different from modern bikes. Then actually take the time and do it properly, a difference of a quarter inch in brake lever mounting height or 5 degrees bar angle can make a world of difference.

I just spent 2 hours fine tuning my 1980 road bike, and I'm amazed how comfy a bike with that amount of saddle to bar drop can be.
>>
>>1306884
post your local craigslist, i'll have a look
sometimes, really awesome classic big boy bikes pop up
it's especially worth looking because really huge lads often had custom bikes made for them, which are extremely high quality.

you could probably fit on a 60/62cm road frame or an XL/XXL for a hybrid, which standard models will come in, maybe try test ride some. But ideally you'll want bigger, 64 or 66cm, which they won't except select models, and those will likely be out of your price range. It's definitely worth looking at used.
>>
is this Folding Fat Tire Electric Bike a good investment for the way to work, shopping and cycling tours?
>>
>>1307101
no
>>
hello /n/
5'9 270lbs interested in getting a bike for exercise and eventually long distance rides
budget 400-600 usd
going to look at local shops but not 100% sure what to look at
https://newyork.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia
>>
>>1307101
>give me a bike with ALL the memes
Say no more senpai
>>
>>1307747
in shops, look for an 8, 9, 10 or 11 speed bike
7 speed (21) are quite low quality.
and try to get something which doesn't have suspension
especially as a big lad, you'll just waste a lot of energy into it and it's another thing to break.

Would you be prepared to buy used? I think you can get a much better deal. NYC is a great market.
>>
File: boltcutters.jpg (26 KB, 450x450)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1307771
>NYC is a great market.

>bike worth $2k
>snibbety snap
>now on sale for $400-$600
>>
>>1307772
well sure lol but that's all the more reason to buy a cheap used bike
It's a ruthless cycle
>>
moved to a new city and almost broke, so i got a big box store bike to get to my new job.

after two months the breaks are kind of buggered, they either do nothing or lock on, is it worth taking to to a store to get fixed or should i buy a better bike?

if i upgrade i'd only really spend $300 max, i just use it to get to work, used my first paycheck to get a motorscooter for anything longer
>>
>>1307804
IMO you'd get a used bike that is much better in every way for not more than new pads, cables and calipers plus service would cost. Post Craigslist and height, for $300 you can get a really nice, high quality bike in good condition used.
>>
>>1307808
no craigslist here, i'm 177cm

http://bicycle.passo.co.kr/

kill me pls
>>
>>1307810
>>1307808
>>1307804
i'm just after a couple of gears and disc breaks, there is never any need for me to ride more than 3km to the station, i've even considered a folding scooter for the one km it is to work

>just walk
if i walk, i'd have no excuse not to walk with a co worker who lives in the same building, she walks slow as fuck and never stops talking
>>
>>1307804
Or you could actually look at what the pads are doing and adjust them so that they work.
>>
I'm planning on picking up road biking this spring.
A good road bike for a beginner? My budget is about $1300
>>
>>1308215
entry level bikes are all much the same man
you can get varying levels of spec, and different frames might be better or worse, but they'll all be good at that price.

Claris, Sora, Tiagra & 105 are all good.

I'd buy from a local shop which can fit it well to you. Fit is extremely important. Make sure to budget some clipless shoes & pedals in too. You want to try those shoes on in a shop, and how well they fit/ how comfortable they are, is much more important than spec, or even whether they're road or mtb shoes. Both are good for road riding.

A friendly shop with people you like matters.

If you want opinions on specific models you're considering, ask that.
>>
>>1301653
is this just push bikes or motorbikes too?
>>
>>1307813
fix it yourself. an 'upgrade' to a sub $300 bike is just gonna get you another piece of shit. Disc brakes are absolutely not where your priorities should be. Even cheap rim brakes can be setup to work decently. For 3km you're absolutely fine with them.

It's not worth paying a shop to work on a very cheap bike either. Buy some new high quality new brake pads for it, and adjust them well. Maybe recable the brakes, if the cables have friction in them (unbolt the cables, and then you can feel it by pulling the lever and holding the cable end). Or try a few drops chain oil in the cables. Then they should work quite well. Post pictures if you want more help. Youtube, Sheldon Brown and the Park Tools sight all have good guides.
>>
>>1308217
fuck off to /o/
'push bikes', bicycles don't need a prefix. There's bikes, and motorbikes. You push both of them.
>>
>>1308216
Thinking about the Trek Domane AL 3 right now, the specs seem good and all, thanks for the advice
>>
i will be commuting in the city (NYC) but also would like something light/fast for joy rides across bridges or outside the city etc.

i'm 6'1 32 inch inseam

would like to spend 500$ or less but willing to pay $600 if it will get me a much better bike

https://newyork.craigslist.org/search/bia?search_distance=4&postal=11249
>>
>>1308243
no worries
go for it anon
>>
>>1308245
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-bianchi-vigorelli/6854867190.html
by far your best option if you're prepared to do a little work. It is a very high end modern frame. Spend maybe another hundred on parts, rebuild it, you get something very good. Infact, putting on a new chain, new bartape, maybe a new derailer, and maybe recabling and servicing the bearings, maybe new tires, is gonna mean you get a GREAT bike.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-used-cannondale-caad8-61-cm/6851041485.html
if you can't be bothered, this is your next best option. It's more modern, but lower end, and it's relatively overpriced. But good. I'd take $500 cash, ride it, see if you like it, and shoot for $400 in person. But it is more modern, lighter than above, and probably basically new.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-schwinn-madison/6854538510.html
curveball option, here's a decent fixie. You could get it for $200. Not a bad idea.

There's also this motherfucker who's massively inflating your market, and buying up all the good bikes himself, and who i wouldn't even trust to fix them up properly because a few of his GREAT CONDITION TUNED AND READY TO RIDE listings were clearly fucked by the photos but for the most part probably they're good, but atleast twice the price they'd be from a private seller, but still not terrible deals and good bikes really.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-lotus-legend-road-bike-great/6851732958.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-trek-400-elance-road-bike-mint/6838672699.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-cannondale-12-speed-road-bike/6836589634.html

those would be my picks from him

If you get something come back and post some pics of it in the pybt
>>
Can anyone see why Cannondale lowered the price of the Caad12 105 for 2019? The only real difference I see is they changed the wheelset but I don't think that's what's behind the price change.
>>
>>1308290
If they haven't changed anything else, then it's worth less this year cause you generally get slight improvements in components and/or geometry for the same price each year as technology progresses.
>>
>>1308255

thanks anon. im gonna get in touch with a friend of a friend who rebuilds bikes about that bianchi. also i might as well make an offer for that lotus
>>
What's wrong with sram?
>>
should i buy this single speed nashbar shitter? i have parts to slap on it. listed for $189, wouldn't give them more than $150.

>https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/d/new-york-city-brand-new-55-cm-nashbar/6855699394.html
>>
>>1308704
If you need a beater and it's in like new condition, why not? Just don't blindly believe in the "moving" reason for the sale, could be he bought it, fucked something up right away and couldn't return it.
>>
>>1308706
good point, ty
>>
>>1308710
double check that he didn't do some dumbshit noob assembly stuff like strip the pedals (look to see if crank arm threading is stripped)
>>
>>1308704
>>1308704
also don't be afraid to directly challenge him on the "moving" by saying 'seems like a bike would be pretty easy to move' or even 'why are you really selling it'.

The answer you want is
>I don't like it
>I got injured
>It's too big/small
>dont wanna ride gearless

You don't want more dogged assertions that they can't carry a 20 lb bike in a moving truck.

They should also move down on the price to at least 150 probably less. SE fixie is 249. So is the Raleigh fixie.
>>
>>1308704
My friend has that exact bike, bought it brand new from performance when they went out of business. It’s actally pretty well put together but I wouldn’t pay anything over 150.
>>
>>1308753
Forgot to say, he paid 160 brand new.
>>
>>1308740
stripped pedal threading on cranks was also my first guess. Or overtightened axle nuts fucking up the hub play.
>>
best bike for under 1000$ for some commuting and fun rides? i live in Brooklyn NYC and want something fast. will pic related be too uncomfortable in the city?
>>
>>1309108
that depends on you, and comfort isn't a good or bad thing.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-schwinn-madison/6854538510.html

that though, would be more comfortable, due to the steel frame. If it fits you it's a better deal for a fixie. Iunno if you're the same anon i recommended it to earlier, but if you're just gonna ignore all my recs then iunno what you want us to say now. get anything, a bikes a bike
>>
>>1309108
also if you have $1000 and want to go fast, just get any entry level claris/ sora road bike from a shop. They're all much the same. And invest in some clipless pedals.

You can go off, spec, where there may be slightly better or worse deals between shops and brands, but more important almost would be a; which you like the look of for arbitrary reasons, and b; which shop you think will help you best with fitting it to you well.
>>
>>1309108
Assuming that's a fuji feather? It would be fine for the city, even though it's aggressive it's fun as hell.

I know most of NYC is dead flat but if I was buying a fuji I'd buy the Sportif model that had claris 50/34 up front and 11/32 in the back so you can go upstate and climb some hills. Fuji the higher the number the worse the groupset. 2.3 is the rim brake claris Fuji Sportif and is $800 for 2019 modela and $587 on citygrounds for the '18 model.

If it wasn't NYC I'd buy the Fuji Trans-sonic but that would get stolen in approx .08 seconds and is above your budget.
>>
File: 1504242861703.png (22 KB, 612x491)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
My mom bought me a bike. It's a Hardtail MTB called Centurion Backfire Fit1 according to the label. Doesn't look like it was used much. She paid 120 bucks, was she ripped off?
>>
>>1309818
Depends on the year and state of the bike, but that's a good price.
Now stop being an autistic frogposter and go ride.
>>
>>1309818
if it rides and shifts and has tires that inflate $120 is a good price for any bicycle for an adult Looked online with the specs it's a 300-500 dollar bike. yer momma loves you and wants you to get fresh air now ride your bike germanbro
>>
>>1309819
>>1309833
Already am using it. Thanks though.
>>
I'm in the Netherlands and my work reimburses half of the cost of a bike up to EUR 1000.

I'm thinking of buying this one:
https://www.12gobiking.nl/merida-scultura-400-2018

I cycle a lot with my hybrid, it's a specialized sirrus from 2015, but I feel that I want to go to the next level and by a road bike.

Is this a good buy? Any other suggestions? Should not be much over the EUR1000 range.
>>
>>1309852
It's a last year model and not the newest in frame geometry, but yes, a name brand bike with a carbon fork and complete 105 groupset for about $1k is a good deal.
>>
>>1309852
>>1309855

the scultura is one of those great entry level road bikes. But at 1100 euro you will probably want to look at the Bianchi Via Narone and the Cannondale CAAD ULTIMO and the Specialized Allez to see what one you like. Literally all bike makers have a killer bike in that price range.
>>
>>1309852
Oh and I forgot Merida owns Specialized so that's going to likely have similar frame geo to some of the specialized lineup. They don't sell Merida in the US because it would compete with Specialized.
>>
>>1309855
>>1309942
>>1309946
Thanks for the tips, I also appreciate the other options.

I will look with care into them, if it were for you which one would you buy?
>>
>>1309986
I'd test ride them and then decide. They're all beautiful bikes and that's pretty much all you can tell before you spent an hour on it.
>>
recommended bike for a bike messenger? (paper, not food)
want a steel frame, something 1x, bombproof, but aggressive and twitchy. dont really need racks
>>
>>1310234
how much money?
the problem is most rigid steel mtbs these days, like kona unit x, use + size wheels which is really too much to drag around a city
surly has good options but doing that is probably out of your price range

i think you need to look to do a custom build with a used bike as a starting point.

maybe a marin muirwoods or something and convert it to 1x. those are steel and pretty nice with appropriate rim size.
>>
>>1310247
price range is like 1-2k. enough to get something to last, not too much to be fucked up if it gets crunched under a bus or some shit. prob gonna just go the route of converting something to 1x
>>
>>1310250
see if you can find a kona unit x or unit or a marin muirwoods to test ride

you could put a 29er wheelset on a unit with road slicks could be pretty good
they are fun bikes
>>
>>1309108
>fixed gear
>go fast

Those two dont mix mate. fixed gear is for hipsters. if you want optimum cadence and efficiency to maintain high speed, get a bike with gears. 1000$ will get you quite a lot of roadbike
>>
>>1310250
I don't know what sort of """"paper"""" you're delivering, but I'd overthink that budget. Any bike used for delivery will get fucked up. And you don't earn much. I and everyone I know use beater bikes worth about 200 Max.
>>
>>1310262

what is the best road bike for 1000$?
>>
>>1310649
The one that fits you the best and suits your personal style and preference of riding the best.
>>
So should I buy a older 26" mountain bike. Someone near me is selling a 2009 Giant Trance X3 for pretty cheap and need a mountain bike so bad.
>>
>>1310773
Need more info. If you want to ride down actual single tracks fast, an old 26" isn't a good choice if you can afford something else.
Does it have a suspension? Then it could be capable.
If you just want an allround bike that you can take on fire roads, a rigid 26" is a good option.
>>
>>1310776
It's a full suspension bike and I really can't afford anything else right now. At least while still being financially responsible.
>>
>>1310802
Yeah, that's a capable bike. Have a bike mechanic go over everything before you bomb down mountains on it.
>>
Active military

Don't have measurements yet, though my inseam is 37ish inches. Need a commuter bike for a 30 minute commute that can carry a little bit of stuff. I've been reading/watching videos and I'm enamored by the idea of a single speed, but I'm torn between a fixed vs free wheel. How much more expensive is maintenance on a free wheel vs a fixed? I need to be able to carry enough stuff to get changed and shower, and while I'm used to rucking, I'd rather not shoulder carry my days worth of stuff, so, which is better for a rear rack or panniers?
>>
>>1310810
most fixed gear bikes have a flip flop hub with a different cog on each side, so you can just unbolt the wheel and turn it around to change between fixed and free
>>
>>1310816
Oh that's pretty cool, actually walking to the local shop now, going to ask
>>
>>1310818
yeah, generally only actual track bikes will just have the fixed cog and no freewheel on the other side, and those won't have brakes so they aren't great for riding on the road
>>
So this is a sequel question to one from earlier. So I want to buy a giant trance x3 from 2009 on Craigslist. Would 350$ be a good price for it or too much. I looks to be in good condition but I may have to replace the brakes.
>>
all the fags on kijiji sell ther crap for way too much. always end up buying new anyway.
>>
File: rocco.png (572 KB, 889x1015)
572 KB
572 KB PNG
tfw my uncle sold his custom specialized epic for $950 to some guy on craigslist when I offered him $2000 for it last year. He didn't even tell me he was trying to sell it. claimed it had to go due to his divorce. what an ass.
>>
>>1311566
kek i've bought a couple of bikes off guys 'due to their divorce'
they're never happy about it
>>
>>1311568
Loved that thing. probably the best bike I have ever rode on. Too bad he decided to take nothing for it instead of selling it to me for 2 grand lol
>>
>>1311569
try fuck his ex wife
>>
>>1311570
Lol, I couldn't be paid to fuck that disgusting wreck of a person.
>>
>have generic Chinese road frame, looks to be same factory as Vilano maybe since same dropouts
>Aluminum frame, hiten fork
>Upgraded shifters and various components
>Feel it's still untrustworthy especially on 45 mph descents and hard sprints

Thinking about getting pic related as a replacement. Thoughts? Will the dick brakes just overheat/carbon fork break on extreme descents and I'll be worse off anyway? Or is it trustworthy enough?

I'm wary to even go big 3 as Giant the distributor and Giant the manufacturer just pointed fingers at each other for broken carbon forks.
>>
File: epic.png (704 KB, 684x853)
704 KB
704 KB PNG
>>1311568
Lol, Pretty sure this is the exact bike being sold by a dealership a few towns over. looks just like it and has a lot of the same upgrades. fucking christ.
>>
>>1311566
Money was going straight to the ex. There could have also been some weird complications from him selling it to family, such as her claiming that he didn't get full value or whatever.
>>
What do you think of buying an ultra cheap touring bike? It's about 180 USD, I've seen someone selling it used for 140 which is very affordable and already comes with fenders, racks (front and rear) and pannier bags. I figured out if I buy it used I'll just upgrade the full groupset to Sora as it is still cheaper for complete package rather than the competitors (total 350 $), the closest I've found would be Marin Nicasio which is about 530 $ but for the bike only. It's steel bike, quite heavy but pretty much what I want for general use and running errands, maybe take it out on weekends somewhere far.
>>
>>1311698
Don't burn more than the bike to get a slightly better groupset if it works fine. If you can't live with the groupset look for a $400 used bike or a sale on a model 1-2 years old.
>>
>>1311674
the opposite. he was selling the bike and taking the money himself. if he sold the bike to you she would have found out about it and clawed back half the money.

>divorced man mind: 0 for ex 950 for me better than
>1000 for me 1000 for ex, a bike for my nephew
>>
>>1309108
yeah, road bikes are shit for city
t. riding a road bike in the city for years
>>
Looking for something decent to do part time delivery on (britbong so deliveroo) whilst at uni

>Budget: £250
>Height: 5'10
>Weight: 63 kg
>>
Is this bike any good chaps?

https://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/d/louisville-nishiki-sport-single-speed/6851467788.html
>>
>>1312013
>https://louisville.craigslist.org/bik/d/louisville-nishiki-sport-single-speed/6851467788.html

It would be fun at 100-150. But it's cool that it's a 63cm frame. Oddly enough all those jap 80s bikes came in great 63cm plus sizes that were comfortable as hell for tall guys.

Search your CL for shogun, univega, panasonic and see what other 60cm+ offerings they have.

It's also a huge red flag about the different color rims. Ask them a leading quesiton like, this got crashed and replaced, right?

Honestly the fad 10 years ago was to make these fixie but nowadays people would rather ride them using their original gear mech which were unfortunately tossed to make fixies.
>>
>>1311783
https://fjb.kaskus.co.id/post/5ad94efd1a99751d728b456c#post5ad94efd1a99751d728b456c
What about this then? It's $400, but can I at least put fenders on it? Living in the tropics so when rainy season came puddles are guaranteed.
>>
New thread.

>>1314009

>>1314009

>>1314009

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.