[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 86 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 3434.png (41 KB, 541x506)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
/SQTDDTOT/ - Stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread.

My commute is 25-ish km one way (15 miles for ya yankees) with 200m (650 ft) difference in height. I'm sick of using bus or metro.
I can't get a car, since I cant get a license yet (i need to verify school certificate first, and it is not fast at all).
What meme transport should I use? Biking 200m height gradient every day is not cool at all. E-bike? Electric scooter?

Pic unrelated
>>
i commute the same distance but with 300-400 height gain
i use bike
a bso at that
>>
>>1299414
meter or feet?
>>
File: metros.png (5 KB, 354x243)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>1299415
meter
it is 25km if i take the highway which i do about three times a week, 19 if i go by downtown (which i avoid since it's more dangerous and slower imo but i end up doing one or two times a week)
that is for the 4 days i go to uni, the other three i got to my shit job as a cook which is a 9km path with about half the height gain
>>
>>1299419
So, 200m are absolutely doable with some training...
Hm. Ok
>>
is the whole 200m in the last 400m of the trip? because otherwise you're a fucking lost cause fatty if you can't make a 0.8% grade.
>>
>>1299421
yes, doable, specially if you use gears
but i have to point out i always take a second shirt with me (pants too if street are too dirty and spraying water), since i always arrive full of sweat, a quick 10 min water sip and deodorant bath is enough to solve it
also try to use a helmet or cap to keep most sweat off your face and your hair in place (i use a bundeswher cap beneath a generic helmet), having long hair will hide the mark the cap leaves after using it for a long time
wish you luck bro
>>
>>1299422
Relatively flat, but one place, where it is extremely high grade.
>>
>>1299424
and what does your flabby ass consider "extremely high grade"?
>>
>>1299425
6% grade
>>
>>1299426
does it peak at a higher grade? the biggest one on my commute is 7% medium but peaks at 15% which is absolute torture on a SS (i do ride it all the way tho, years ago i had to push the bike so there's evolution)
>>
>>1299426
a short amount of paved 6% grade on a geared road bike is fucking nothing. either quit looking for excuses or quit wasting our fucking time.
>>
>>1299428
I'm not a fucking athlete to climb 3 km 6% with decent speed.
>>1299427
Same thing here.
>>
File: 20190305_151909_HDR.jpg (2.56 MB, 3264x1836)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
since this is a SQTTDSDS thread i'm gonna ask my /n/augthy cycling friends here their opnion on my issue: i have the black bso and my local crazy bike guys is gonna sell me a box of old components for a bargain, in which there's a proper road bike fork, a double crank (39-53) and proper toe cage pedals (brown leather ones). This comes very handy considering i'm gonna put this hobbo mobile to race again in a month on a local 40km race (gonna keep it SS/Fixed tho, dont have time nor interest in installing gears); i plan on painting it again (it took quite a beating in the last month) with the leftover paint i have (white enamel on the spray gun, and rattle cans of acrylic grey and black); can you guys suggest some pattern for me to paint? i was going to do a simple hard fade but i figured /n/ might have better ideas. i have some experience with paint since i used to paint industrial machines me and dad refurbished and retrofitted

pic related is bso (ignore the handlebar situation)
>>
Man. I'm beginning to hate some people here. Just because you can do 100000km/h on your bike and you are so well trained and so professional and so hard doesn't mean that this is the standard...
>>
>>1299480
t. buttmad
>>
File: profile.jpg (48 KB, 1658x156)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1299480
>namefag is a defensive leglet
why am i not surprised. i've been riding a bike for literally a month, and it's a 42 lb clunker of a mountain bike and my out-the-door loop starts with over a mile of 6% with the last 1/5 mile of that initial uphill at 13%. i'm proof that 6% is babby-tier..
>>
>>1299490
Wow. That is powerful
>>
>>1299480
Fuck off back to your safe space then fag
>>
>>1299502
nice comprehension, dumbfuck. my whole point is that it ISN'T powerful. i'm shit at biking and i can still do it.
>>
>>1299563
I can't (without getting super tired). That is powerful.
>>
I am ~135lbs and my commute is 6 miles to and from, elevation to is 100ft down, and my bike is around 40lbs(?). given that I haven't biked in years, am I going to die or not.
>>
>>1299617
The answer to that stupid question is always yes, you are going to die. Someday.
>>
>>1299641
fascinating
>>
>>1299440
any way you can do another color than white? that's a ghostbike and bad luck bro
>>
>>1299413
Any replacement for ekikara?
>>
>>1299481
>>1299490
>>1299511

If the kid says that he already tried and it's to hard for him (maybe obese etc.) the the solution isn't just to say:
"Ohhh, I can do double the road in 20x harder conditions."

Stop showing the world how hard you are and start thinking if an e-bike may have enough range for him. I don't know so much about e-bikes.
>>
>>1299413
This thread is so stupid. You don't even know if it's doable on bike. This depends on many factors.

Just try it out on weekend and if you say that it's to hard then we can search for alternatives for you...
>>
put a petrol motor on ya local garage bike and enjoy.
>>
>>1299689
We on /n/ hate petrol.
>>
>>1299717
We hate attention whoring namefags even more
>>
>>1299751
Spam
>>
>>1299717
Yeah, kerosene is much better.
>>
>>1299689
I would need a loicense for this, and I don't have driving licence (yet).
Electric motor doesn't require license, but only under 250w but I guess sticker will solve this problem
>>
>>1299688
No, I tried, I can't do this every day.
Motor is needed
>>
is there ever a thread here that gives car purchase advice?
>>
>>1300145
our advice is to kys.
>>
>>1300145
Don't spend more than 200 dollars on it.
>>
>>1300145

Remove cagers
>>
The fuck do i even start
I don't know what any of that is, i just want an all around bike.
>>
>>1300356
you probably want a gravel/adventure bike. bikes like this will clear nice, comfy tires and fenders to keep you and your bike clean. they will take a rack if you need to carry things, and have slackish frame geometry for a more comfortable/sustainable riding position.
>>
>>1299652
on the spray gun no, unfortunately
that's why i mentioned the grey and black cans, they might not be the best type of paint out there but i think it will be enough as means of not having the entire frame in white. I was thinking about doing a fade on the extremities of the frame while keeping the seat tube area white
>>
>>1300145
Only reason to buy a cage is to put bikes on it. Maybe >>>/n/bqg will have people who know who has the most roof rack space.

Or >>>/o/
>>
>>1299413
So since I pulled out my old bike from the garage today and cleaned it up, saw my tires are falling apart and they're 700x23c. Made me realise that Performance Bike went out and I can longer get their inner tubes. Which I was a fan of. What is a good option for long life of cheap price? Im seeing Contis on Amazon for nearly 13 bucks a pop which twice what I used to pay for Fortes s I am pretty iffy on that.
What's a decent puncture resistant tire as well?
>>
>>1300717
post a picture lad, this is an image board
gp 5000
if your frame has the clearance, go up to 25 or 28
>>
>>1300719
Sorry man, it's 3 am right now, cant see shit in the garage. If I manage to wake up before noon again then it will go right into the PYBT.
>>
Please req me a bike for my mostly uphill city commute that's around 600$-800$. I plan on asking around at my local bike shop but I trust you guys to n here a little more.
>>
>>1301529
Get a 90s rigid MB with slicks. Convert it to an e-bike.
>>
What's /n/'s opinion on Specialized breand bikes? Everyone in my city has one and I'm thinking of investing in one myself.
>>
>>1301536
Well I actually want to pedal, I feel like e bikes are an oxymoron
>>
>>1301538
Then for your budget, do yourself a favor and buy a new bike. The Kona Dew comes to mind.

Main advantage of buying new is that you can get the shop to fit it correctly to you, which is a lot more important than slightly better parts you'd get used for the same price.

$500 - $600 is where buying new starts to make sense for new cyclists.
>>
>>1301543
The dew looks good aesthetically, the specs also look good but I don't know much about bikes so it could be garbage for all I know. Anyway thanks!
>>
>>1301553
It isn't. It's recommended a lot here.
>>
>>1301529
marin muirwoods
>>
File: h400.jpg (29 KB, 400x300)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Hi everyone I have a couple questions about fixing up my commuter since thankfully I will soon be moving to an area that I can use it as my primary vehicle again.

1: Does anyone know where I can get paint that matches a mid 90s Cannondale? Its an alloy frame will a few corrosion spots I want to take care of and touch up
2: similarly Does anyone know where to get the same era cannondale decals?

My beloved is the same as pic related just larger
>>
>>1299413
>You were banned from /n/ for posting >>1301100, a violation of Rule 1:
>Off-topic; all images and discussion should pertain to transportation. Trains, planes, ships, bicycles, and flying elevators are welcome.

>Thread image was a school bus
>Thread theme was a bus accident
>Thread content was about quality t become bus driver
In which way was that off topic?
>>
>>1303597
Yet people, who make new "how bad subway is and how cool cars are" thread every day, don't get banned.
>>
>>1303642
Not in all shitholes you can get driving license in 16.
But that is not an issue here. There is another problem, I moved to other country, and they don't accept school certificate from other country, so I can't get a license. Yet uni accepted me with translated certificate without any (relatively) problems.
In other words that is complicated and not fast. And using (((public transport))) for a year kinda sucks.
>>
>>1304210
>(((And using public transport for a year kinda sucks.)))
>>
what's the best website or place (in usa) to buy water bottles without going bankrupt?
>>
>>1306819
How do you feel about used waterbottles with someone else's teeth marks from a thrift store?
>>
>>1306819
Walmart. Buy 0,5 liter bottled water (it is really cheap), and use those bottles.
>>
>>1306928
>0,5 liter bottle
Does your mom pick you up with her SUV when you run out of water and become thirsty after 20 miles?
>>
>>1306917
not too good. why do you ask?

>>1306928
you idiot, dont post at me again
>>
>>1306930
Carry more bottles nigga.
>>1307283
?
>>
File: file.png (163 KB, 611x435)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
I want a mono chairing 46T
and an e13 cassette 9-46T

should I go with a medium or a long rear derailleur?
the chain will be long enough hopefully
>>
>>1308998
look up the derailleur capacity and figure it out yourself.
>>
>>1309000
I made the maths and it doesn't make sense to me. They always show examples of calculation with double crankset.

front chairing: 46 - ?? = ???
back chairing: 46 - 9 =37
differential total 37 + ??? = ???
>>
>>1309004
If you only have one chainring what's the difference between 46 and 46? 0
>>
>>1309005
Yeah, I did considerate that too, wasn't sure until now. So medium cage will do fine. Thanks
>>
Are air-horn important on a fast ebike?
>>
>>1310521
Car horn would be easier to use. Just get 10A 12V DC-DC and a car horn from scrapyard.
>>
What's the name of that accessory that let's you mount your u lock to the bike?
>>
>>1310687
lock mount
>>
>>1301529
You need a low gear, and you want low weight.

>>1301537
One of the biggest bike labels in the world.
Brand name has a price premium.
Nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>1310521
>fast ebike
.... how about no
ebikes are for exerting less effort, not going faster
>>
>>1299413
Why hydraulic gear shifters aren't a thing?
>>
>>1310708
How about I accidentally 70 km/h on ebike?
>>
>>1312395
Cables work fine, are easier to service and weigh less. You don't need the force of hydraulics just to push against a derailleur's spring.
For better performance, electronic shifters work much better, which is why cars replaced hydraulic systems with drive by wire.
>>
>>1312395
But they are
>>
>>1312398
Fuck cables. Hydraulic are much easier to service, than cables.
I know that electric shifters exist. But hydraulics make more sense to me.
>which is why cars replaced hydraulic systems with drive by wire.
Not for performance but for lower price
>>
>>1310708
not if I get the right motor, battery and a good ratio
>>
>>1311149
>Deleted
why?
Do we have a new mod or something?
>>
>>1312396
Just get a license-free electric motorbike
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (1.08 MB, 249x250)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB GIF
Absolute bicycle newbie (learned to ride a bike about a year ago and this is my first bike)
TL;DR: what are some reasons why my front breaks might squeal?

A couple of weeks ago I went to a candy store type of place and I noticed some cherry cola cans (they're not sold here and my mom loves it, so I figured why not).
I got a few cans along with some other stuff and placed them in two plastic bags which I hanged over my handlebars.
So these bags shat all over my balance, one of the bags slammed against something in my bike and a can exploded on me and the bike itself.
The chain got jammed but I 'fixed' it by basically wiggling it around a bit (I later wiped it clean and applied lubricant) and my front breaks, which were in the splash zone, started squealing loudly when I used them.
My first thought was that some cola got between the breaks and the rims, so there's more friction because shit's sticky, which causes them to squeal, I detached the front breaks, wiped them with a moist towel (they really were ever so slightly sticky) and put them back on.
first time I rode after that the front breaks squealed a couple of times, then stopped for a while, and today (a few days after) they're squealing again, not quite as bad but still do.
How would I go about figuring out the proverbial culprit behind this?
I don't ride my bike every day so I can't really tell if the squealing is diminishing or staying about the same.
It also seems like my front break is harsher than my back breaks, and when I bought the bike (new bike) they were even, so I'm guessing there's more friction there than before.
>>
>>1315353
Your pads are still dirty. Clean them with alcohol. The rims, too.
>>
File: _20190415_105208.jpg (353 KB, 1200x767)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
I don't know how this happened. It's like the screws were ripped right out. Should I replace the screws or get new pedals?
>>
>>1315409
Unscrew the other two and see if they still grip inside the threads where the screws were ripped out.
If yes, new screws.
If the threads are fucked, new pedals.
>>
What's the price point of diminishing returns for bikes?
>>
Is there a good smartphone app that can plot bike routes using ONLY dedicated bike lanes/paths? Or it can let me know that there is no path if not.

I know Google maps can do this, but I don't think it factors the existence of a bike lane at all.
>>
>>1315445
Map my ride is cool

Not sure if only dedicated bike paths though
>>
>>1315433
1000$ gets you a good bike without compromises you'll notice unless you rode a much more expensive bike before.
2000$ gets you a lighter bike with 1-2 more gears, but you could buy 2 good ones (eg. road and MTB) instead and open a whole different world of cycling.
>>
Can a 56 cm frame work for a height of 6'2"
>>
What kind of bike for local trails paved and off road?
>>
File: IMG_2957 (Custom).jpg (1.36 MB, 3000x2000)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>1315460
Yes. i'm 6'2, here's my old 56cm bike setup for a 160km race, with a 130mm stem.

I regret how long i rode a bike that didn't fit me though. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>1315468
What's a better fit for you?
>>
>>1315474
60 or 58
>>
>>1315463
this depends on rider preference and how rough the trails are - could be anything ranging from a XC mtb to a cyclocross racing bike to a "gravel" road bike with wider tires
>>
>>1315463
a road bike with 28mm tyres
>>
>>1315481
This pretty much. Only reason to go wider is if you're going to ride in snow and even then 28c will be enough.
>>
>>1315463
>>
>>1315485
I rode a 28mm along the Baltic coast last year.

W O U L D

N O T

R E C O M M E N D

Once you've pushed your loaded tourer through 5 miles of deep, fine sand in the sun while kids on MTBs ride circles around and laugh at you, and then realize that the next 10 miles are old cobblestones and the 10 after are old tank roads with 2 inch gaps every 10 feet, and the 10 after are unmaintained roads that only consist of potholes, you'll be ready to trade your $2k bike for a B'TWIN with 50mm tires.
>>
Would you ever buy a bike online without trying it first?
>>
>>1315639
I did when I was drunk and it's the best bike I own. But it was pure luck.
>>
What's the difference between urban, commuter and hybrid bikes? I often see them being grouped together? Are they only meant for short distances with alot of traffic?
>>
>>1315650
hybrid = catch-all term but usually a flat bar road bike with wider tires
commuter = catch-all term but usually a hybrid with rack, lights and fenders
urban = fixies, faux vintage and fashion bikes, often made from Hi-Ten steel, chrome-colored plastic and imitation leather
>>
Can I use 220V LED bulb on my e-bike as headlight? That is around 10W, so it is about 80W on incandescent.
No optics, ofc, blind everyone.
>>
>>1315650
All three are effectively marketing terms in the US. Commuter is meaningful only in eruope, where you have people who actually commute.

They're mostly for short casual rides. Commuter bikes are expected to have something to carry shit, and possibly fenders.

>>1315653
Don't forget the urban SCRAPER BIKES, tark shit and other similar garbage.
>>
>>1315568
>loaded
well yea durf
>>
Can a bike get stolen while you're riding it?
>>
>>1316056
Yes, if you're stealing it.
>>
>>1315765
Does your e-bike have a 220v outlet?
>>
>>1315653
Seems like some overlap in the different styles. Do you think a hybrid would be the way to go for someone that isn't too bike savvy and not exactly sure of what type of riding they'll be doing?
>>
>>1316070
At least that's exactly what they're designed for.

On the other hand, 90s MTB with slicks is an /n/ meme for a reason. They're similar to new hybrids, but much cheaper than buying new.
>>
>>1316061
No, but I can light bulb make glow full power from 26V
>>
Why no kickstands?
>>
>>1316235
Same reason /n/ hates hybrids. We're all professional racers here.
On a road bike, a kickstand adds unnecessary weight cause you start at home and end your ride at home.
On a mountainbike, a kickstand is dangerous cause it can wedge inside the spokes going over harsh bumps.
On a commuter, city beater or touring bike, kickstands are practical and useful.
>>
Any good DIY reflectors?
20W LED lightbulb doesn't light a fuck, besides signs.
>>
>>1316235
They are useless. Brick under pedal works better.
>>
>>1316268
Great tip, I'll always carry a brick around on my rides now.
>>
>>1316235
There's no scenario where my bike would be by itself and not locked against something
>>
>>1316270
Sure, get skookum one, without holes.
>>
>>1316276
Nah, I'm gonna get a titanium brick and drill holes in it to save weight.
>>
File: Aerogel_hand.jpg (113 KB, 879x619)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1316280
i like how you think, but you should really try an aerogel brick.
>>
>>1299413
Scooter I guess if you're not fit enough / don't want to put up with cycling. Assuming you don't need a license (one you don't have that is) for something like a 50cc scooter. I have no idea about those things but one of my coworkers uses one and he paid like 300 bucks for it. Was used though. Definitely the cheapest option because you pay hardly any insurrance, it consumes very little gas and as far as I can tell some of them have a small storage space too.

If your fitness isn't completely shit you could get a road bike. Always pace yourself, don't go too hard even though you feel like you can and get some easy gears, you'll still go pretty fast and won't get sweaty at all. Well at least I don't. My commute is just 8 km one way though and I don't ride when it's raining like crazy so there's that.
>>
>>1315459
I think these days pretty much every $1000 bike comes with an 11 speed groupset, a $2000 bike isn't really worth it at all, just a bit lighter but not anywhere near to highend.
>>1315433
not that easy to answer but I'd say everything in the 1500-4000 range is what I'd avoid. Reason being that a 1000-1500 bike these days has all the core features of a highend bike, paying more only makes the bike lighter, more aero and gives you electronic shifting and maybe a 12th gear. So it's either buy a basic bike or go all out and get the best there is. In the 1500-4000 range you're best off getting a used (but often barely ridden) highend bike that usually cost 2-3 times as much as it's being sold now.

That's just my opinion though
>>
>>1315460
yes, pros that are even taller than that ride 55/56 cm frames. Really depends on your bodytype though. I'm what would be a little over 6'0" in your unit system and one of my bikes is a 54 cm frame. I have long legs / short torso and the frame has an aggressiv fit so it took quite some time to get used to it and I can't slam my stem because I'm already riding as bent over while in the hoods as most people are while riding in the drops. Good for crits though
>>
Is it true that CF frames are extremely fragile and if you ding them it can render them useless?
>>
>>1316301
no
>>
>>1316301
stahp
>>
>>1316301
Yes.
Why would you plastic bike? Even airplanes still have alu/ti frames...
>>
>>1316301
No. CF frames are stronger against some things, weaker against others. RACE frames can be rendered useless with a hard hit, or say sanding them down to try to get wheel clearance to use them as a touring bike, but that isn't carbon specific.

>>1315460
Possibly, but it will be on the small side. Figure out stack and reach.

>>1315463
How offroad are we talking?

>>1316056
Yes. At that point it's usually considered a bikejacking.

>>1315433
This varies from year to year.

Road: Somewhere around Tiagra/105 with a good wheelset. Perhaps somewhere around 1600.

MTB: Somewhere around Deore/SLX or equivalent with GOOD suspension. Either hardtail or FS depending on terrain. Perhaps 2k for full suspension, plus a dropper post if needed.

Commuter: A well equipped german trekking bike with integrated dynamo, and IGH.

Loaded Touring: Individual taste matters a lot here. Probably around 2000.

In general, above that gets you more racing specific marginal gains, or bizzare gimmicks.
>>
>>1316338
>How offroad are we talking?

I guess it would be considered gravel or light dirt, fairly flat surfaces. I just wanna ride for fun and fitness.
>>
>>1316347
Literally any bike. My favorite for light offroading like that was actually a fixie with 23mm tires. Far from ideal, but loads of fun. Point being, bicycles are versatile. You'll likely be on tarmac 90% of the time anyway, get a road bike.
>>
>>1316367
Ok Road bike it is
>>
>>1316367
why do bike people always say that bad things are fun
>>
>>1316255
>commuter, city beater or touring bike
Wrong. Tourers and others that load down their bikes might want one. But a commuter has no use for one for the same reason that a racer has no need.
>>
Do I want a rigid fork?
>>
>>1316760
Yes
>>
>>1316760
No, you want a fork made out of a material that has some give and dampens road vibrations, such as Chromoly or Carbon.
You do not want a rigid Aluminum or Hi-Ten steel fork and definitely not one with suspension (if you actually needed that, you'd know and wouldn't ask).
>>
Are you still supposed to ride if you didn't sleep well and are tired due to apnea and general malaise? I feel like this could be dangerous to myself or others
>>
>>1316268
>>1316270
>>1316276
>>1316280
>>1316284
underrated
>>
>>1316822
If you don't trust yourself to be able to safely ride in traffic or off road, don't.
>>
>>1316822
why do you even ask that..
>>
>>1300356
>Dirt/Street

Is this the same as hybrid?
>>
File: Kona-Sutra-LTD-Review_7.jpg (362 KB, 2000x1333)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>1300474
Something like this?
>>
>>1317249
yes like this, but with 2x drivetrain. 1x is a meme for shitlords. desu, just buy a crosscheck. this shit will outlive you and can handle whatever riding you might want to do in the future.
>>
>>1317249
>>1317319
Shouldn't these be flat bar?
>>
File: Figure_12-26.jpg (514 KB, 2608x1954)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
>>1315353
Make sure you're angling the brake pads correctly as well when reinstalling. They should look like this.
>>
>>1316295
Every bike shop in my area has Sora aluminum $1000 bikes
>>
>>1317363
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-al-7.0/2176.html?dwvar_2176_pv_rahmengroesse=3XL&dwvar_2176_pv_rahmenfarbe=RD%2FBK

Dont spend 1k on a fucking Sora bike.
>>
>>1317373
Oh lol meant $1000, not GBP
>>
>>1317377
Still, don't buy a Sora bike for 1k anything. There's plenty of full shimano 105 bikes out there for 1k with great quality aluminium frames and carbon fork.
>>
>>1317373
>Canyon

Yeah, buy something without trying it
>>
>>1316760
Probably. If your streets are New Jersey tier, get a good XC fork. Don't half ass suspension.

>>1317248
They probably mean dirt jumpers.

>>1317351
Not if he can afford better.
>>
>>1317319
Does this look like a decent deal? Not a Cross Check though. Price is CAD

https://www.ucycle.com/product/surly-straggler-328516-1.htm
>>
>>1317393
>ride it around the parking lot for 2 minutes
Now that’s an informed decision
>>
>>1299413
I have 5 km and 60m height gain. I'm dying daily. Kill me bros
>>
>>1317406
At least you can get the fit right. Good luck doing that online
>>
>>1317476
I know what stack and reach I need in a frame, it’s not very hard.
>>
>>1317409
My commute is 2km with a brutal 12m ascent.
I'm barely alive when I get to work.
>>
>>1317362
They need to be angled? this is new information for me, cheers anon.
>>
>>1317512
Angling vastly improves modulation because the braking force gradually increases as you push more of the pad onto the wheel.
>>
>>1317351
why the fuck would anyone want a flat bar.

>>1317404
no, fuck the straggler. crosscheck.
>>
Is Cannondale considered a meme brand?
>>
>>1317545
No. The CAAD is arguably the best aluminum road frame on the market. They also have very good high performance bikes for on and off road.

They DO have some meme bikes. The Bad Boy lefty belt drive. The Delta V. Their old time trial bikes. 1990's track bikes.
>>
>>1317623
The Bad Boy is one of the best hybrids available today. What's your problem with it?
>>
>>1317630
Before I go further, lets lay it out. Do you actually own one? And I mean the expensive version? If not, what bike is the closest so we're clear on the comparison.
>>
>>1317639
https://www.gessato.com/10-reasons-cannondale-bad-boy-1-unquestionably-best-urban-bike/
>>
>>1299413
How far away from the ground should my front panniers be? I put my rear panniers on them and they're quite a bit lower, I'm afraid I'll scrape them when making some turns or if they're loaded more.

Also, are there any left-handed x8 shifters? I'd like to put a twist throttle on my ebike sometime in the future.
>>
>>1317767
Also, how large should front panniers be? What would be the maximum size you'd be comfortable with?
>>
>>1317767
how about you post some photos of what you're talking about on this image board, lad.
it's quite common to run big boy panniers up front and the lower centre of gravity the better, unless you're concerned about ground clearance because you're going offroad.

how large panniers should be and how safe your setup is, is really something you can tell by riding it better than we can by speculating based on nothing. there's so many variables.
>>
Can someone help me understand bike geometry? I was never good at math
>>
>>1317901
Youtube will help you more.
>>
>>1315411
whats the right way to remove a pedal? i had to do it once and i could even stand on the tool and nothing would happen
>>
File: IMG_2292 (Large).jpg (507 KB, 1620x1080)
507 KB
507 KB JPG
>>1317921
a better question is how to install a pedal so it isn't hard to remove later, and that's
>clean the threads really well with kerosene/degreaser/whatever and a rag if they're dirty or gritty
>dry them
>grease the threads

but yeah, if you need leverage, stick a big ass piece of pipe over a spanner like pic related
>>
>>1317921
When the handle of your tool is pointing upwards, push it towards the rear wheel to loosen.
If that doesn't work, add plenty of WD40 and leverage.
Don't be too cautious, I needed a 4ft steel pipe as lever once on an old road bike. If the thread is fucked up afterwards, the thread was already fucked up.
>>
Should I even worry about the weight of a bike if I weigh 215 lbs of mostly muscle?
>>
>>1318048
>215 lbs of mostly muscle
Post pics, big boy. Also, no.
>>
>>1317901
horizontal top tube = good
seat stays not meeting top tube = bad
that's all you need to know for /n/
>>
If you can keep up with the speed limit, is it ok to ride in the middle of the lane?
>>
>>1318084
yes, naturally.
it's also Ok even if you're slow if that is the safest option (debris, door zone, etc.)
I ride in traffic all the time. I let cars in all the time and generally stay right to let cars by just so that everything flows, big picture-wise. but never hesitate to take the lane. it's your right. you don't have to be a dick about it; but if you're flowing, flow on, my brother.
>>
Are flat bars the training wheels of handle bars?
>>
idi/o/t here
do bicycles run sealed chains or plain chains?
Also, how often do you guys have to clean/lubricate your chains? I dont ever remember doing that as a kid, dad might've done it though
>>
>>1318106
wtf is a sealed chain
>>
>>1318108
the pic i posted is a sealed chain, commonly used on motorcycles
those o-rings keep grease in a channel to prevent links from contacting each other
>>
>>1318106
Don't clean your chain, relubricate only. Cleaning will remove some of the only good lube your chain will see over its lifetime. Every couple of months should be good
>>
>>1318110
>Every couple of months should be good
Only if you never ride your bike. Lube at least every 200 miles.
>>
>>1316056
bring a handgun
>>
File: _20190419_205554.jpg (115 KB, 1080x716)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
I'm just getting back into cycling after many years. Is gravel the way to go or should I just get a road bike?
>>
>>1318173
a gravel bike that will fit fenders and a rack.
>>
File: WP_000363.jpg (594 KB, 2592x1944)
594 KB
594 KB JPG
So, I converted mains LED bulb to e-bike voltages...
>>
File: WP_000364.jpg (332 KB, 2592x1944)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>1318188
But there is an obvious problem.
How do I make optics on cheap?
>>
>>1318173
Do you have good scenic gravel roads close to you? Gravel riding is fantastic and you can often get away from cars on it. But if you don't have it on your doorstep, I'd get a road bike.
Pure road bikes are beautiful things, they all fit 28 tyres now and can handle short bits of gravel, and once you make a few concessions to gravel you end up with a capable but milquetoast road bike.

The only other reason to get a gravel bike is if you wanted to tour on it, they can make great touring bikes.
>>
>>1317901
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD7rq568Nvw

>>1318048
Only if you care about hard acceleration.

>>1318099
Unless you're offroad, yes. We ditched that shit for road use 80 years ago.

>>1318173
Sit on a bike and ask your back pain.. You probably shouldn't want anything more relaxed than endurance road.

>>1318189
freznel lens off of a toy?
>>
>>1318216
>freznel lens off of a toy?
Where can I get it?
>>
I heard everyone will experience a bad crash at least once riding a bike, resulting in broken collarbones and eternal bleeding. Is this true?
>>
>>1318281
No.
I have no fucking idea how can you hit something with head or brake bones on bike.
>>
>>1318325
By pushing your limits
>>
>>1299413
Gravel bikes on fire roads and singletrack?
>>
File: _20190418_155534.jpg (259 KB, 1080x712)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>1318366
>>
>>1318281
I didn't have eternal bleeds, but I did brake my cbone
>>
>>1318367
I was mostly asking if it was viable to do rather than asking for a specific model, but I'll take that as a yes.
>>
Is Bianchi still considered a decent brand?
>>
I have a gravel bike that I only ride on roads now. Any recommendation for tires? My current ones are 37 width. Should I get thinner ones and do I need new wheels if I do?
>>
>>1318379
>>1318366

Fire roads? Yes. Single track? Frequently, but check the trail first.

See this thread >>1317424 for examples of inexperienced riders learning what they and their bikes can and can't do the hard way.

If you have great skills and technique, you can throw a road bike party on anything your tires can manage, but that's less flow and more trials. Taking a beating on a black diamond rock garden or downhill is no fun. XC moved to suspension and 2"+ tires very early for good reason.

Vid vaguely related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZkKE9Z35g
>>
>>1318458
Figure out what your rim width is. Get the right tires for your road conditions. You could get lighter tires, but no real advantage to going super thin.

Say, some panaracer ribmos in 35"?

>>1318461
ROAD BIKE PARTY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0
>>
>>1318458
gp5000 32mm
>>
>>1318456
yes, good but not cheap
>>
>>1318458
I'm riding 28c gp4000ii on my Checkpoint right now. Love sprinting with them on.
>>
How do I incorporate cycling into my routine of lifting, running and jumping rope? Is it even feasible or worthwhile?
>>
I own an old giant halfway and want some new wheels/rims. I know fuck all about bikes, so do all 20" wheels fit all 20" bikes? From what I gathered the 20" category contains childrens, bmx, folding and simple 20" bikes. Is there anything I should look out for? Any good/cheap companies for this kind of stuff?
>>
>>1318752
It's basically a form of LISS cardio, so since you're probably doing only LISS running anway you can swap it out. It obviously can be more but you'd need a device to measure the intensity (hr for running and I think serious cyclists use watt). If you are only doing HITT you are lost to the meme anyway and should completely rebuild your schedule instead of adding/incorporating shit.
>>
File: IMG_2019_04_21_18_25_29.jpg (909 KB, 1600x1200)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
>>1317779
Alright, here's what I'm talking about. I know that it's good to keep them low on the front, but how low is too low?

I feel like I'll scrape them when loaded or near a curb, and will be more likely to overload it when doing a grocery run or something.

Also, can I run a left-side friction shifter to control the rear derailleur?
>>
>>1318762
20x fraction
20x decimial
are DIFFERENT SIZES, although wheels of both are likely to fit. You need a matching tire to the wheel. See 406 vs 451.

Check hub widths as well, although this is not s much of an issue. .

>Any good/cheap companies for this kind of stuff?
Expect everything on folding bikes to be stupidly expensive.
>>
>>1318762
Check out Sheldon Brown's wiki. If you're unsure, just look at the side of the tires or rims, or the product documentation. There should be an ETRTO number on one of them, like 37-406 or something.

Personally, I really like alexrims. They're more for ebikes, though, so if you're opposed to using 36 spokes or are a weight weenie, steer clear.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.