[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Guys, I started cycling again and my genitals are crammed into my freakin shorts. at the end of most rides im in pain for the rest of the night.

what are some good, high quality bibs with crotch room? I found these by assos, looks like the best bet. hoping for more suggestions. thanks.

t. ASSOS
T.cento_s7 Bib Short - Men's
>>
I can't find any reviews on these but they seem to be the newest version by the brand. not sure if crotch room is the same.

also im currently using some pearl uzimi

i average 30-50 miles when i go ride.
>>
bump
>>
Bibs are a meme for fat fucks that can't keep their shorts up. Aero Tech Designs SM010 shorts are nice, and only 40 dollars which is cheap for good quality cycling shorts.
>>
>>1296557
>spend 369 dollars on bibs for 30-50 mile ride
top kek
I ride in my 40 dollar shorts for up to 300km.
>>
>>1296553
Listen OP,
In order for cycling shorts to do their job, they're supposed to fit like a 'second skin', not have 'crotch room'.
The job of cycling shorts is as follows:
o Wick sweat away from your skin to the surface of the fabric, so it can be evaporated away
o Prevent chafing as much as possible where your body contacts the saddle
They can't do those things if it's not skintight or if there's 'crotch room'.
They should be skintight but not cutting off circulation. You may have just got too small a size.

Now, based on your complaints, I also have to question whether your saddle is the correct size, shape, or style, and if it's adjusted correctly for you specifically.
If the saddle is too large, you'll sit too far forward on it, placing too much pressure on the wrong points of your body.
If the saddle is too small, you'll be carrying your weight on your perineum (your 'gooch'/'taint') instead of your ischial tuberosities ('sit bones').
If the saddle fore/aft adjustment is wrong, you may end up sitting on the wrong part of the saddle.
If the saddle is not properly leveled or the height is misadjusted, you may have pressure on the wrong part of your body.
If your thighs are large, the saddle *shape* may be wrong for you, leading you to sit too far forward on it, which also would place pressure on the wrong part of your body (I personally learned this the hard way).
If the saddle is one of those heavily padded with gel, you will have more contact area between the saddle and your crotch, which after not very long riding becomes uncomfortable due to *chafing*; more padding does not equal more comfort, as unintuitive as that may sound.

You need to go to a LBS that has a good selection of shorts and try them on first. Buying online may not be best for you.
You also need to have someone who understands bike fitting check your saddle adjustment, and that you have the right size/shape/style saddle for you specifically. You may need a different saddle entirely.
>>
>>1296576
This is /n/, friend. No need to bump a thread unless it's been like 2 days. This is a very slow board.
>>
>>1296553
You know you are not supposed to wear underwear underneath your cycling shorts/bibs, r-right anon?
>>
>>1296627
>Bibs are a meme for fat fucks that can't keep their shorts up.
No, they're really not.
In order for cycling shorts to work properly they need to fit like a second skin, and more to the point the padding needs to *not move around* down there while you're riding, otherwise that just encourages chafing. Bib shorts accomplish that by keeping themselves in place and not moving around.
I ride with fast groups and race sometimes and I can't remember seeing anyone with regular non-bib shorts. I can't remember seeing any pro riders in anything other than bib shorts.
>>
>>1296634
Heh, this too. I forget that some people don't understand that you actually *increase* discomfort and chafing if you make the mistake of wearing underwear under your cycling shorts.
You have to wear underwear when trying cycling shorts on in the store for health reasons, but you're not supposed to wear them underneath wehn you're riding. I hope all you guys know this.
>>
>>1296636
>Bib shorts accomplish that by keeping themselves in place and not moving around.
Shorts don't move around unless you're fat.
>I ride with fast groups and race sometimes and I can't remember seeing anyone with regular non-bib shorts.
Caise they're fat friends so they need bibs, and the token skinny guy just does what everyone else does.
>I can't remember seeing any pro riders in anything other than bib shorts.
Cause their sponsors want them to cause bibs are more expensive.
>>
>>1296647
>fat friends
*fat freds
>>
>>1296628
I never bought Assos shorts, but I did buy the next best thing, which is Capo. They were really great bib shorts. But if you ride all the time (5-6 days a week for me 200+ miles a week when everything is going okay) they still wear out in about a year, two years if you want to push it.
'Wearing out' in this context means 'they get stretched' and also the padding gets worn. Then they move around more on your body when riding, leading to more chafing and overall discomfort.

If you guys want a recommendation for reasonably-priced kit, go to Voler. They mostly cater to teams, but they also sell generic kit. Good quality, it's what I wear all the time for years now, but as I said above, if you're an avid all-year-round cyclist, you should plan on replacing your shorts annually regardless of what you buy. Buy two pair if you can (I do) and alternate which one you wear so by the end of the year they're both still comfortable.
>>
>>1296647
>Shorts don't move around unless you're fat.
Speak for yourself, buddy. I don't know anybody I ride with who could even remotely be called 'fat'. People in glass houses, Anon.

>Caise they're fat friends so they need bibs, and the token skinny guy just does what everyone else does.
Like I said: speak for yourself.

>>1296647
>Cause their sponsors want them to cause bibs are more expensive.
Oh, please...

Quit coping/trolling/shitposting so hard and get real.
>>
>>1296647
>Cause their sponsors want them to cause bibs are more expensive.
no one can be this stupid
>>
File: amerifat.jpg (62 KB, 552x419)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1296656
>coping
How is that a cope? I wear cycling shorts that cost 40 dollars and have done multiple 200km+ rides in them and a 300km+ ride. They don't slide around cause I'm not fat.
>>
>>1296664
woah hold up we got an epic long rider here
>>
>>1296662
What is your point, fatty? I bet you also thnik 1x12 is necessary, right? You probably ride a 650b+ gravel bike right?
>>
>>1296667
it’s wild that you jumped to those conclusions so fast. i ride a supersix evo
>>
>>1296673
Okay but you are saving up your money for a 1x12 650b+ gravel bike right?
>>
>>1296675
no, why would i?
>>
>>1296677
Because the industry says that's what you should want, just like it says you should want bib shorts
>>
>>1296664
>multiple 200km+ rides in them and a 300km+ ride
Show proof

>I wear cycling shorts that cost 40 dollars
Uh huh. If you're that poor then they're probably the only pair you've ever had, therefore you have nothing to compare them against. Also I'll bet they're several years old and are worn out now, and they've worn out slowly so you didn't notice the change from new to worn out.
You clearly don't have the experience with this to know what you're talking about, and are just talking out of your ass about it, shitposting, and so on. Nobody believes you, so you can stop now.
>>
>>1296678
i wear bibs because that’s all my team kit offers. you sound like you care about the bike industry way more than i do
>>
>>1296682
>Show proof
How the fuck do you expect me to prove it? Not sure why it's hard to believe anyway, plenty of people ride that much.
>Uh huh. If you're that poor then they're probably the only pair you've ever had, therefore you have nothing to compare them against.
I have 8 pairs.
>>1296685
Okay so you admit that you have bibs only because that's what people want to sell you, good, glad we got that cleared up.
>>
>>1296703
Your eyes must be brown because you're so full of shit. Do you really think anyone believes any of the crap you've posted in this thread? Hilarious.
>>
>>1296703
i don’t understand, if shorts were better than bibs wouldn’t companies only make those and charge as much as they do for bibs now? your logic is broken.
>>
IM JUST GONNA BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONES
HOLY SHIT THIS PLACE IS A DUMPSTER FIRE LMAO
>>1296629
nO i had the bike fitted for me by a pro, i use sit bones. they get sore.

but .

my dick and balls. mostly balls. theyre sensitive. and that tight ass bib smashing against my body is fucking my shit up

everythings fine but the bibs.

for fucks sake you guys can't even recommend some bibs for people with sensitive balls
>>
I thought ASSOS was just M$ Windows
>>
>>1296736
>coming to 4channel looking for legitimate advice
fuck you
>>
>>1296739
fight me in real life, boi
>>
>>1296743
big talk for a guy with sensitive balls
>>
>>1296744
just dont kick my nuts, fg8
>>
>>1296553
>crammed into my freakin shorts
Size up
>>
>shilling for shorts instead of bibs
Even the women I know that ride bikes prefer bibs because shorts are shit. And that's with the added trouble that bibs are for the ladies.
>>
File: 1n8bs5hh9iw11.png (1.2 MB, 1440x1398)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>get in to cycling
>Bro works at some cycling company
>hooks me up with gear all the time
>"yeah Bro it was just gonna get chucked otherwise d/w"
>goes on for some time, wardrobe full of jerseys, bibs, etc
>he ends up leaving company to go elsewhere
>few years and many kms later and some kit is starting to wear out
>tfw he worked at Rapha
>tfw I've been one cervelo short of full fred for years without even knowing it
>too poor to actually buy Rapha
>no idea what other brands there are, let alone which ones are good

Oh fug
>>
>>1296647
>shorts don't move around unless you're fat.

can't wrap my head around how anyone can write this
>>
>>1296736
>my dick and balls. mostly balls. theyre sensitive. and that tight ass bib smashing against my body is fucking my shit up
>everythings fine but the bibs.
>for fucks sake you guys can't even recommend some bibs for people with sensitive balls
You mentioned in your OP that you're 'just getting back into cycling', maybe you just need to get used to it again, i.e. HTFU.
Or perhaps cycling just isn't for you, if you can't handle it for some reason or other. It's not necessarily for everyone.

I've given you the best advice I have to give. All I have left to tell you is maybe you need to see a doctor or some other professional about your problem if it's that bad.
>>
>>1296825
Let me (>>1296825) say one more thing:
If you're not using chamois cream, then get some.
I recommend Assos Cream (pic related), it's the best there is. If that doesn't help you then I don't know what else to say.
>>
Im 64 270 and ride a 61cm al roadbike. Wear shorts not bibs and a long aka tall 3xl jersey. Aero tech also makes my kit because they make tall jerseys that are nice and long. I have to have additional ball support so I wear a pair of xl size adidas performance boxer briefs. I rode 2500 recreational miles in this kit. When it is cold I add a base layer top and bottom and glove liners under my gloves. Shorts 40. Jersey 79. Underwear 10. Full baselayer 40. Glove liners 20.
>>
how much volume do your balls and flaccid penis occupy?
>>
>>1296707
Everything I've posted is true though, shill
>>1296719
No because they can get away with charging more for bibs because they have more material. By having shorts also on the market, they can sell shorts for whatever price they'd normally sell for, and then mark up the bibs and consumers go for it cause it's more material. And cause the pros wear it.
>>1296736
Don't wear underwear under your shorts faggot
>>1296785
Unironically probably trannies
>>1296805
If you're fat you need the suspender straps to hold them up
>>
>>1296825
>Or perhaps cycling just isn't for you, if you can't handle it for some reason or other. It's not necessarily for everyone.
Cycling IS for everyone, but gayfuck bibs are not. And admittedly, cycling shorts are not either. Nothing wrong with being a casual and just wearing normal shorts.
>>
>>1296828
Stop shilling meme products. Chammy creme is a meme.
>>
>>1296956
>he doesn't ride enough to need it
leglet
>>
>>1296959
I ride more than you faggot, post Strava
>>
>>1296959
Not him but I rode 11 000 km across Canada last summer and also race and I've never needed it.
If you have chafing, your bike fit or pedalling technique is probably off.
>>
>>1296965
based
>>
>>1296881
Aha, so you're this guy: >>1296627

>>1296881
>says he's 6'4" 270 pounds
>>1296627
>Bibs are a meme for fat fucks that can't keep their shorts up

So you're a FAT FUCK yourself yet you're shooting your mouth off like you're Lance Armstrong or something? HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!

>I have to have additional ball support so I wear a pair of xl size adidas performance boxer briefs
HA HA HA HA HA WHAT A FUCKING FATASS LOSER DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WEAR UNDERWEAR UNDER YOUR SHORTS!

>rode 2500 recreational miles in this kit
IN ONE YEAR AT 10MPH

OMFG you're unbelievably stupid!
>>
>>1296964
>hurr durr I want you to dox yourself
get rekt fatass leglet
>>
>>1296965
My saddle adjustment was checked by a professional and my kit fits properly, I just have fucked skin that gets irritated a little more than some people, chamois cream takes care of the problem. If you don't need it (or think you don't need it) then don't buy it, but if someone is having issues then they should at least try it rather than suffering for no reason, and by the way that's the only one really made for use with the padding in cycling shorts.
>>
>>1296970
>>>1296881
>Aha, so you're this guy: >>1296627
No, I am the second guy but not the first guy. I am only like 14% bf (which is not skinny, but it's not fat) and I am literally the first guy in this thread to tell OP to not wear underwear with cycling shorts. Faggot.
>>
File: babar-civilized.jpg (2.07 MB, 2931x3965)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>1296736
are you tucking your dick up? I used to try and scrunch it up and hide it or go down but now i just lay it right up and it's right there and if cunts want to have a geeze then thats onb them im not gay

your balls are much better positioned that way as well
>>
>>1296976
That's fair. I did have to use hemhorroid cream on the bike tour but that was due more to a bout of E. coli than chafing.
>>
>>1297035
Can I give you some advice, based on my research and experience with this sort of thing?

You should never use anything down there that has either petroleum jelly (like Vaseline, Bag Balm, and similar) or really anything with mineral oil in it. The reasons why are twofold:
1. They clog up your pores, and can actually *cause* saddle sores to form
2. You can never fully get those things out of the padding in your shorts, effectively ruining them
Assos Creme uses dimethicone as a skin lubricant and protectant, which is a large enough molecule that it can't clog your pores, and will completely wash out of the padding in your bike shorts. Futhermore there's some topical anti-inflammatories in it that help prevent skin irritation on long rides (i.e. you're more comfortable longer). Honestly, I was skeptical about the stuff after having used things like Chamois Butt'r, but this stuff actually does what it's supposed to do.
>>
>>1297034
Yeah, OP, ^^^^^this, too. I didn't think to mention this because I'd assume any dude would automatically do this. If you're literally sitting on your dick and your sack then you're fucking up and it's no wonder you're in pain all the time.
>>
>>1297237
>>1296828
I have a tub of Assos creme but I don't like it for really long rides. It's great on mid length 2 - 4 hour rides but past that it starts feeling like shit usually. It's also great on short recovery rides if you've spent the entire previous day in the saddle.
>>
>>1297282
>It's great on mid length 2 - 4 hour rides but past that it starts feeling like shit usually.
Your crotch isn't going to stay fresh as a daisy after more than 4 hours in the saddle no matter what you slather on down there, dude, not even if you re-apply it. But I'll bet you if you put some on anyway at least the first 4 hours will be more comfortable, and more comfortable equals less fatigue which equals better overall performance. It's not like you put much of the stuff on to start with, just a thin layer.
>>
>>1297388
If I know I'm in saddle for more than 5 hours I don't put any on because riding without at the start is better than having to ride with shitty feeling bibs for the last hours. I also select the best bibs I have for those days so riding without isn't an issue.
>>
>>1297237
Bruh, I had a waterfall coming out my ass while riding a 70 lb bicycle 110 km a day through Northern Ontario, which led to hemhorroids forming. Ruining my shorts with hemhorroid ointment was the least of my worries.
>>
>>1297695
>mixing pounds and kilometres
why
>>
File: zdjubutu2dg21.png (326 KB, 577x457)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
I'm a fatso and I wear a trisuit with a jersey over the top
>>
>>1297842
Because Canadian?
>>
just got my first bib shorts
when i put them on i got an erection
is this normal?
>>
>>1296647
Y'all nibbas finna get trolled
>>
>>1297876
If you want us to diagnose the issue, you'll need to post a pic.
>>
>>1297905
cant now, had a jimmy shuffle and took them off
maybe later
>>
>>1297876
>just got my first bib shorts
>when i put them on i got an erection
>is this normal?
You're suffering from an acute case of Extreme Youth. You'll grow out of it.
>>
>>1297240
OP here
this has been amusing

ok so i aim my dick up but let balls stay danglin. theyre more towards the upper front of saddle but i guess when i go "aero" they get smashed some?

cna u draw a ms paint diagram of how you guys do it?

i figured if i had a lot of room id be safe.

i have an EXTREME fear of getting a testicular torsion so im always super careful when it comes to my balls. i dont want to aim them up in fear that one will get twisted...and die.
>>
File: 1484806091716.jpg (61 KB, 303x480)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1298013
>tfw in my 40s and still get random erections
>>
>>1298254
Not quite badass enough to be Wesley Snipes in 'Blade', and the glasses are the wrong glasses. Otherwise not-too-bad cosplay.
>>
>>1298254
>forearm touches a sheet of paper
>these ugly-ass veins open wide
>die from hypovolemic shock
>>
>>1297876
yes, biking is just that much fun
>>
File: 1538113395178.jpg (27 KB, 564x428)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1298487
>he doesn't veinmax
>>
Okay I know I am replying to mouth breathers but hopefully someone will read this post and take away something useful. The 'great debate' between bibs and shorts is pretty dumb in my opinion, the straps of bibs and the elastic/grippy waistband of shorts do the exact same thing; they keep your leg tubes from working their way down your legs when you move. It has nothing to do with being fat or companies shilling more expensive products or any of that you knuckledraggers. While shorts rely on a single strip of elastic around your waist to keep your chamois from moving, bibs do the same thing but with shoulder straps. The straps distribute the 'weight' (for lack of a better word) of the shorts and honestly is more comfortable in my opinion. If you've ever walked around with bibs straps slung around your waist surely you've noticed your leg tubes sliding down as you walk around before a race, right? Yes, the leg tubes are tight, but I guarantee you with out an elastic waistband or bib straps your chamois would be squirming around at the end of a 2 hour race.

One great thing about bibs is that they will always cover your lower back if you're tall and skinny and need to buy S or M jerseys. Shorts can leave a gap. Very embarrassing.
>>
>arguing over whether bibs or spandex shorts are more gay
or you could just mountain bike and wear real people shorts.
>>
>>1299084
>honestly is more comfortable in my opinion
Fat fuck detected.
>>
>>1298246
You are literally asking /n/iggers to draw you a pic of our own genitals in paint.
>>
>>1299116
It does not matter to me for you to remain ignorant and uncomfortable.
>>
op here, i bought these.

also did a ride today, tilted my seat down some in the front. better but still needs attention
>>
>>1299129
they wont be here til friday -_-) and last ride, nuts def hurt. this time i still had some discomfort but ive noticed it more like im getting gas when i ride.

i eat 8 eggs and a bowl of steel cut oats every morning, but i wait like 3+ hours til i ride

still want space for my junk, also anyone else get gas?
>>
>>1299132
why the fuck do you eat 8 eggs and oats at the same time? you're eating too much at one time
>>
>>1299135
SHUT UP ARMLET i cycle for cardio im not a string bean like you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.