[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

Why are steel bicycles so aesthetically pleasing?
>>
>>1292186
No idea. I really like that bike though, even if it has an ugly top tube bag.
>>
>>1292186
No other material allows thinner tubes.
>>
>>1292191
How about titanium?
>>
>>1292211
It allows for thinner tubes than aluminium, but still thicker than steel. In case you're interested:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/01/09/myth-2-titanium-is-lighter-than-steel/
>>
>>1292186
Post an actual good looking steel bike if you're going to start this thread holy shit.
>>
>>1292186
Because you're a millennial who grew up thinking thick tubes = aluminum and aluminum = cheap BSO, and you can't quite afford carbon (or at least you think you can't because you're probably a cager and all your money goes into care and feeding for a 5000 pound metal box)
>>
>>1292225
>force
next
>>
>>1292186
Because they don't look like a plastic toy for manchild crybabies like >>1292225
>>
>>1292186

I dunno OP how am I going to destroy my prostate if the handlebars are so upright? I want to really fuck my entire life up, sexually, psychologically, and spiritually
>>
File: picard.jpg (9 KB, 303x276)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1292233
>metal is now plastic
Did you vote for Trump by any chance?
>>
File: m93.jpg (82 KB, 800x535)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1292222
>>
>>1292261
try again
>>
File: pedersen.jpg (759 KB, 910x388)
759 KB
759 KB JPG
>>1292262
>>
>>1292264
i imagine only serial rapists ride this
>>
>>1292225
>1x road
>disgusting, visible welds
lmao
>>
>>1292186
I'm more of an element 13 guy myself
>>
>>1292225
Hey Pal, what the fuck is your problem. Let the man enjoy his practical, minimalist bike you fuckin sperg
>>
>>1292186
Thin tubes and a horizontal top tub
With Bikes like the one in the picture it's also the earthy colors and natural materials.
>>
File: equilib20.jpg (122 KB, 1300x772)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1292222
>>
>>1292456
This is just awful anon.
>>
For me it's the flat top tube and remaining simple geometry.
>>
>>1292225
>carbon
Nice failure mode bro...
SNAP! AAAAAAAAUGH
>>
>>1292490
that's aluminum you mouth breather.
>>
>>1292491
Sweetie don't @ me if you don't understand the subject matter.
http://www.bustedcarbon.com/?m=1
>>
>>1292491
>>1292493
>>1292490
To reitarate in less smug manner, carbon has great mechanical properties, but a catastrophic failure mode: when it fails it fails explosively and usually without warning, as opposed to steel that has a longer deformation zone before untimatly breaking apart.
>>
>>1292494
*ultimately
>>
>>1292491
I thought this was the case too but i crashed my allum nitto bars and they just bent
why was that?
>>
>>1292496
Yeah I've also crashed steel and while it's true that it doesn't literally explode, the bike is basically garbage at that point, you can try to bang it back into shape and you might even succeed, but the amount of trial and error it will take to get it back into the right shape, with the right tension in the right areas, is hardly worth the effort unless you're stranded in the Gobi Desert or some shit.

Steel is just for people who love to fantasize about SHTF scenarios they'll never run into IRL.
>>
>>1292237
>Did you vote for Trump by any chance?
I voted for Jill Stein because I'm not a RETARD
>>
>>1292186
>Why are [INSERT FRAME MATERIAL AND/OR CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUE] bicycles so aesthetically pleasing?
Fixed that for you.

Calfee pioneered using bamboo as a frame material.
Many manufacturers use titanium alloys, aluminum alloys, combinations of aluminum and carbon fiber.
As materials science progresses, even more exotic materials will be made available for framesets.
A few years ago, something called 'structural aerogel', a material dozens of times stronger than steel but almost as light as paper, was developed, promising framesets so strong yet so light that a stiff breeze would blow it away.
Any 'aesthetic' of bike can be made using any of the above materials.
The bicycle in your pic could be re-created in the highest modulus of carbon fiber, have precisely the same look, but be much lighter and much more energy-efficient.
There is nothing 'magical' or 'special' about steel. It is merely iron processed in a certain way, and it happens to be easy to work with using simple tools, nothing more.
Perhaps your romanticizing about something not particularly warranting your sentiment is merely your subconscious desire to simplify your life? Perhaps you should consider looking inward, instead of trying to fulfil your inner desires with material objects, OP.
>>
>>1292530
All bikes are garbage once they are damaged enough, so what's you point? You can salvage a fucked carbon frame? How is a bent aluminium frame any less fucked than a steel one?
The failure mode of steel is safer than alluminium and carbon simply because it's region of permanent deformation is longer. It bends more before giving way completely. While many composite materials like carbon behave with high rigidity right up to the point of failure were they burst into smithereens with little warning (if you're lucky you might catch some hairline cracks upon close inspection). Their overall mechanical properties are superior to steel but their failure mode (how the material behaves when it breaks) is much less safer than steel. A carbon fork is overall stronger and lighter than a steel one (and I'm told they ride quite nice) but in case of a crash or failure a steel one will behave more favorably and will absorb more energy before breaking. That is all I'm not expressing a preference for one or the other. Steel is in fact safer than aluminium and carbon, it's not a meme.
>>
All I did was come to ask about aesthetics, why don't you guys post aesthetic bikes instead of talking about this other crap?
>>
>>1292548
>All bikes are garbage once they are damaged enough, so what's you point?
My point is that choosing a bike based on whether it still "sort of works" (after 100 hours of hopeful bashing with a hammer and some prayer) is fucking retarded. You don't live in a Mad Max universe, humans are worth more than bike frames. If you crashed your frame and it's fucked, don't bother to try and un-fuck it. Just buy a new one.
>>
>>1292530
>Steel is just for people who love to fantasize about SHTF scenarios they'll never run into IRL

Or for people who just like it?
>>
>>1292548
Here's why you're completely and totally wrong:
If you damage a steel bicycle frame to the point where the tube(s) are actually bent, then you've also stressed the welds to the point where the frameset is no longer safe to ride.
"""Banging it back into shape""" may make it ride straight again, but all that does is stress the welds even further; you cannot trust it at any speed at that point, it's *scrapmetal*.

Same goes for any metallic frameset material. You crash it bad enough to bend it, it's *scrapmetal*.
Do you really want to be descending a hill and have a weld break on you, sending you to the emergency room?

Therefore metallic framesets are actually no better than carbon fiber framesets when it comes to damage.
Oh and by the way those pics you see of '''exploded''' CF framesets? They're all counterfeits of name brands, not the real thing. All the claims of CF not being safe are highly exaggerated.
>>
>>1292559
What is hard to understand about failure mode? I never mentioned bending steel frames back into shape, What are you even going on about?
>>
>>1292561
You seem to be incapable of understanding what I'm talking about.
Go here: https://www.mensaiqtest.net/
Report back with your results
>>
>>1292563
He's talking about the fact that a steel frame bends if stressed too much and then you throw it away.
A carbon frame breaks and splinters and makes you eat dirt (or asphalt). If you survive, you throw it away.
>>
>>1292566
If you crash your bike hard enough that CF would splinter and break to the point it would be in pieces, then it *does not matter* what frame material it's made of, *you are going to the Emergency Room* -- or the *morgue*.
You cannot logically refute this.
>>
>>1292567
Are you retarded? A fork exploding underneath you is the same as one bending and then beeaking? The carbon will take more stress before breaking but when it does it will do so suddenly and without warning. Steel will start breaking earlier but will aborb more energy. This are the failure modes what is hard to understand?

>>1292563
I never said you should bend steel frames back together that is not my point. And I never said that one is overall better than the other. All I did was present a case why steel isn't inferior on all counts.
>>
>>1292567
Unless it's got some damage before. That's the real reason why people use steel. They want to lean their bike on house walls, leave it unattended, load it up on their car and drive at highway speeds, maybe have a low speed crash where they drop it sideways in gravel. And afterwards have the peace of mind that steel isn't significantly weakened if you exert puncturing force to the side of it, whereas a carbon frame that has been stressed and damaged that way may still look fine, but can be significantly weakened or even destroyed.
>>
>>1292571
>ignoring the point
Crashing is crashing and going to the ER with severe injuries is the same no matter what goddamned bike you were on. STOP BEING FUCKING STUPID.

>>1292573
>wants to abuse bikes
Then you get what you deserve
Stop acting and thinking like a child

Fuck this shit. Everyone else in this thread is a goddamned moron. You all get what you deserve.
>>
>>1292574
>wants to abuse bikes
That's not abuse, it's simply what will happen if you use your bike for everyday transportation, not just sport.
>>
>>1292574
Obviosly if we take a case of an extreme crash your bike construction won't have much influence, but what about all the other cases in between?
It won't be the same because your bike will behave differently depending on its materials, steel will absorb more energy, but will start breaking sooner. It is the same theory behind crumple zones in car construction. If something bends considerably before breaking it absorbes some of the energy.
>>
>>1292576
I put 30k miles commuting on a crabon frame, I treated it like shit, left it locked up to random sign posts, dropped it, etc. People used to treat crabon with kid gloves because it used to be very expensive and normies didn't understand it. Now, it isn't, and they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM
>>
File: an1.jpg (144 KB, 1200x750)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
jesus you people are all retarded, the point of the thread is to celebrate aesthetically pleasing steel bikes. not to have another bitchfest about steel vs crabon
>>
File: 43985245670_4483dd6445_k.jpg (478 KB, 2048x1365)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
here's another one for you ungrateful faggots
>>
>>1292186
You might as well drink onions on that thing cuz it'll make you impotent, bud.
>>
>>1293240
fuck i meant onions
>>
>>1293251
i meant a drink, drunk by liberals as a meal replacement, derived from onions.
>>
>>1293240
>>1293251
>>1293254
You guys are cucks man.
>>
File: 1972Pro-4-mid.jpg (162 KB, 648x486)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
steel is real niggers
>>
>>1292530
>Steel is just for people who love to fantasize about SHTF scenarios they'll never run into IRL.
Nah it's for sane people who aren't chasing hamster wheel Strava records or swallowing bike industry bullshit and world like a springy bike that lasts their entire life and and doesn't need coddling like it was made out of literal resin and fiber
>>
>>1292567
If you crash your bike just a little your carbon fork needs replaced. Really the whole frame.
>>
>>1293240
>You might as well drink onions on that thing cuz it'll make you impotent, bud
This is fucking beautiful
Our generation will be the one finally waking up to bike industry roadie bullshit
Fuck these crotch rocket shaft crushers
>>
>>1293260
I mean, just the fact that they removed the word *onions* is fact enough
>>
>>1293260
Spoken like a true soiboi
>>
>>1293266
You see that? Incredible
>>
>>1293270
How new are you.
Stop posting.
Fucken bikefags, always new or retarded. Or both.
>>
>>1293271
I thought it was common that you go on the net, and you shit on pussies with that drink. But I guess you guys are SO pussy, SO onions, that you outlawed that word. You guys are scared of people mocking you ON THE INTERNET. How sad is that? How sad are you people?
>>
onions

is that it?
>>
>>1293273
mods are gods dude, is this really your first experience with wordfilters in this place? really, how new are you
>>
>>1293277
I guess the link between bike riding and impotency is true, after all.
>>
>>1293279
that didn’t answer either of my questions
>>
>>1293282
Dude what kind of retard outlaws a word on 4chan? This is a free place. What the fuck happened?
>>
>>1293286
dude how new are you
is everything you learned about this place from ED
>>
>>1293288
Dude. Came here once, and I'll continue coming here now that I know that this shit makes you guys mad.
>>
>>1293289
thank you for finally answering the question, i always like to know if someone is new or retarded
>>
>>1293293
Don't tell me you're ok with this. Don't tell me you've given up, FIGHT THIS
>>
>>1293289
newfag, I've been here all summer.
>>
>>1293301
Somehow I don't feel bad about being new to this board.
>>
File: fuji roubaix.jpg (1.95 MB, 2268x2268)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
stop bickering and have some pretty steel bikes.
>>
File: shinybby.jpg (1.91 MB, 2268x2268)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>
>>1293273
>keeps doing the same thing expecting a different result
new AND retarded.
wordfilters have been part of our site culture from the beginning.
please go back to /r/thedonald you boomer newfag cancerous faggot.
>>
>>1293351
What if I value function/performance over so-called 'aesthetics'?
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
You can make a 'pretty' BSO, but it's still a BSO and therefore only a half-step above scrapmetal.
>>
>>1293404
>What if I value function/performance over so-called 'aesthetics'?
Then you buy a caad12 105 or allez sprint 105, both of which are still good looking bikes
>>
File: Reeb SixFiddy 650b.jpg (501 KB, 2200x1467)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
>>1292186
I want one so bad. Too bad they are overpriced as shit. Can you guys recomend me a similar bike ie. similar geometry, SS drivetrain, 650b+ or 29er and 140+mm fork? I'm thinking about Kona Unit. Or should I build one myself?
>>
>>1293404
>thinks a 105 equipped bike is a bso
found the problem - you probably don't even own a bike.
>>
>>1293416
Redline Monocog
>>
>>1293416
>I'm thinking about Kona Unit.
you're thinking right friend
>>
Steel is the best metal because I can't afford titanium yet.
(my other bike when I first bought/restored it)
>>
>>1293638
Sweet bike
>>
>>1293644
Thank you. It took me forever to find a Bridgestone frame in manlet size.
>>
>>1293473
No, you just don't understand a goddamn thing I said is the problem. I'm sure Walmart can sell you some BSO that looks real pretty but it's still a shitty BSO. Never said anything about a Shimano 105 component group, so how about you fuck off?
>>
>>1293682
I have never seen a good looking bike for sale at Walmart. You can feel free to prove me wrong though.
>>
>>1293682
I’m sure you could stop being a huge faggot but we all know that’s never going to happen either.
>>
>>1293416
if you buy one you get free admission to REEB ranch!
>>
>>1293682
you starting spouting about bso's in response to my classic/vintage bike, which made it hard to assume anything except that you know nothing. also, you totally outed yourself as a simpleton who believes that function, performance, and aesthetics are separate, and even contradictory.

>>1293729
this guy got it right.
>>
>>1293830
>'aesthetics' only
cheap
>'function' only
>cheap
>'aesthetics'+'function'
medium-priced
>'performance'
medium-priced
>'aesthetics'+'performance'
high-priced

So fuck you and your insults against my intelligence.
Most of you don't ride with any real 'performance' in mind anyway, you ride merely for 'transportation' so you don't give a fuck about the bike being built with performance in mind, and if you can't strap a bunch of racks and panniers and baskets and shit on it, you call it a 'Fred bike' and dismiss it as much as you would a BSO anyway, so now I say: What do (You) know?

Bugger off.
>>
>>
>>1293879
at that point, why not buy a donkey?
>>
>>1292567
Did you even read the post you replied to?
>>
>>1293883
i believe that can can reach nice speeds on downhill on the roads.

Didn't understand why not gearings though
>>
>>1293836
the way you bring up money suggests a poorfag projection. no one was talking about money, chief. you’re in the steel bike thread man, you’re seething at the wrong crowd. if you’re so performance oriented, lets see that strava. otherwise, pipe down lil bitch. go project somewhere else.
>>
>>1293883
give the donkey rollerblades, bigot
>>
>>1293907
ass I missed>>1293890
>>
>>1293883
why buy donkey when you can be donkey
>>
>>1293892
>thread about old shitty things that have been left behind
>talking about it so much bullshit nostalgia
Get off the internet, grandpa, go watch TV, your Matlock reruns are on.
>>
>>1293890
>Didn't understand why not gearings though
i think it has a rohloff hub
>>
>>1293943
i had to look up that tv reference. matlock seems like a chill guy.
>>
>>1293836
>starts shit
>then tells people to fuck off afterwards
>>
>>1294073
>expects people to just swallow baseless insults
you can fuck off too
>>
>>1293416
>i9
>not Profile
y i k e s
>>
>>1293943
Matlock's based, give Barnaby too and I'll take your offer on
>>
>>1294172
You ran into a thread about aesthetics, made a strawman, then got butthurt because people didn't swallow your bullshit. Why not just leave?
>>
>>1294224
I enjoy torturing you Luddites. Stay mad, it makes me giggle.
>>
>>1294238
>I was only pretending to be retarded
nope, you're retarded.
>>
What's wrong with a custom steel frame made for you with modern parts? It sure as hell beats custom from any other material for price.
>>
>>1293416
kona honzo st or big honzo st
>>
Ok, what's a good, modern, off the shelf steel bike that can fit tires wider than 28mm and isn't like 27 pounds for under $2000?
>>
>>1294311
you can put road tires on a kona rove ST or kona sutra LTD. these are lightweight and aesthetically quite pleasing. and my LBS is doing 15% off for the spring sale which puts both of them into your price range.
>>
>>1297580
or you can join me in writing to kona and begging them to bring back the honky tonk
>>
>>1294253
Fuck you. I'll poke you faggots and your outdated obsolete meme bullshit all I want and tough shit if you don't like it. What are you, a bunch of actual unironic boomers who can't into modern things? Steel is shit, FFS at least get aluminum. Assuming that is any of you faggots actually own and ride a bike and aren't just LARPing (which is what I expect).
>>
>>1297675
>Steel is shit
No it isn't.
>>
>>1294311
Jamis Quest if you want racy, Jamis Aurora if you want tour-y, Jamis Renegade if you want offroad-y
>>
File: miyata le mans.jpg (183 KB, 1599x1179)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>1297675

lol, so triggered - this rare 650b miyata will likely finish you off for good.
>>
>>1297735
god damnit that is such a fucking sexy bike

FUCK
>>
>>1297675
triggered as fuck lmao. i am actually a 30yo unironic boomer. aluminum is a hard, brash metal for people who haven't outgrown their edgy phase, like you. post your bike you fucking faggot, or maybe you can only project it?
>>
File: 57 jo routens.jpg (397 KB, 2744x1764)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>1297741
why so angry bub ?
>>
>>1297748
did you mean to reply to me? i like this bike and >>1297735 this bike.
>>
>>1297741
>blah blah blah words words words
Who's the edgy one here? LOL what an idiot.
>>
>>1297675
>>1293404
u mad
>>1292548
now I wonder why I like carbon forks because this post makes sense to me and I understand the reality of it.
maybe I like the idea of a composite fork because the rigidity combined with vibration dampening properties makes for a superior ride, while in the instance of a head-on collision steel will fail just as spectacularly. I don't mind the all or nothing type of explosions associated with failed carbon if it's on the front end. I would find bottom bracket failure or rear triangle failure to be much more damning since power is being put thru the drivetrain, while on the front end there is less weight.
Maybe it's because I ride rim brakes for lyfe and I don't have braking forces extended down the blades of the fork.
maybe I enjoy the idea of having a slight amount of compliance.
maybe I anticipate further developments in the engineering of composites.
I'm not remotely sold on carbon steerers. I dislike the idea of carbon fiber dealing with torsion from multiple directions, especially when an impact could occur.
maybe I've outgrown them because the next fork I'm seriously considering purchasing is Titanium.
>>
>>1292490
I have a carbon bike. Should I be worried?
>>
>>1297849
no.
>>
>>1297787
still you dawg, sorry
>>
>>1294311
Surly Straggler
Salsa Vaya
Marin Gestalt 2
Genesis Croix de Fer
>>
>>1292490
I have a steel bike from 1994. Is it valuable nowadays?
It is still rocking btw.
>>
>>1297995
No it's just outdated technology, underperforming versus other materials. If you're happy riding it and it's not holding you back then great, if you want better performance then think about getting something newer.

>>1297849
No. CF exploding is mostly a meme, all the gore pics you've seen of bottom brackets completely broken out of the frame and shattered forks were either extreme high-speed collisions or counterfeit/cheap-ass shitty framesets that were never safe in the first place. CF framesets from reputable manufacturers are extensively stress-tested to ensure not only that they deliver the performance promised but that they can withstand abuse well above anything it'll ever have to endure in normal use. Otherwise Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Cannondale, and every other major manufacturer would have stopped offering them a long time ago, or at least would have stopped warranteeing them. Anyone who tells you anything different is trolling you.

Also CF doesn't rust, unlike old-fashioned, outdated, obsolete materials like steel.
>>
>>1297995
What frame was it?
>>
>>1297952
How hard is it to get a Croix de Fer in the US?
>>
File: SwksSL.JPG.jpg (123 KB, 1024x685)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1298003
:^)
>>
>>1294311
All City Mr Pink will do 32c and ships at right around 20lb, with room to lose more weight. It would be ez to build a Trek 520 frameset or some other tank to be under 25 pounds...the stock build uses a lot of heavyass shit.
>>
File: 8293.jpg (100 KB, 882x575)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>1298152
woh very much context with that image you have convinced me of many such things
>>
>>1298152
And they make planes from this shit...
Fuck 787, fuck A350. Ty154 is the way to go.
>>
File: 4892058374_e62d3cd7ab_b.jpg (165 KB, 768x1024)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1298196
:^}
>>
>>1298152
>couterfeit
>impact damage from a collision
>intentionally destroyed for propaganda purposes
>photoshopped
>>
>>1292186
>steel bicycles
Melt them down to make more cars.
>>
>>1298152
I ride an almost 30 year old carbon bike daily and I’ve never had a problem.
>>
File: 8924.jpg (515 KB, 1370x912)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
>>1298283
That simply looks like a good time
>>
>>1298334
I crashed a carbon bike 5 times last Saturday and it's in better condition than I am.
>>
and by that I mean it's just a bit dirty while I'm having an extra greasy poo on the loo right now. feels fucking gross
>>
>>1298361
stop, you’re gonna get the fringie’s granties in a wad
>>
File: Madone Frame.jpg (304 KB, 957x1600)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>1298330
COPE
>>
>>1298196
>bike only fails under obviously catastrophic circumstances and every piece gives up
>still in one piece
>>1298152
>bike completely snaps in two from what appears to be much less force, everything outside of snap appears unscathed
>>
>>1298462
How are you drawing these conclusions in any way other than directly out of your asshole? Do you also look at the shape of your shit in the toilet and predict the future based on what you see?
>>
>>1298393
LOL I don't even need to argue with you that that's IMPACT DAMAGE because that's the only way that damage could have occurred. You're clearly and objectively a faggot if you think that pic is an argument for carbon fiber being unsafe.

>>1298462
>provides no context whatsoever for the pics but draws conclusions from them anyway
There's so many Logical Fallacies being committed here that I don't even know where to start.

>>1298469
Silly, don't you know that these Fringies, who are literally on the autism spectrum, will obsessive-compulsively just repeat the same things over and over again?
>steel is real
>steel is real
>steel is real
>steel is real
>CF is BAD and EVIL and will KILL YOU
..and if you challenge their OCD repetitions with things like FACTS and LOGIC and REASON, they'll get VIOLENT on you, which here means they'll start insulting you.

>Do you also look at the shape of your shit in the toilet and predict the future based on what you see?
That's about the level their intellect is on, yes.

Really, you have to pity them. They'll never have anything like a normal life, always held back by their disability.
>>
>>1298472
I think there might be hope for some of them. When you start out with bikes listening to the looney bin of GP et. al. its hard to understand that a carbon fiber frameset could ever be ridden for more than 5 miles without exploding and killing everyone in a 5 mile radius. I used to be like that despite hundreds of thousands of people riding CF frames every day without incident. I had buried my head in the sand and decided that the ‘steel is real’ hill was the one I would die on. Why? Who knows. I don’t sell bikes. I just ride them. I had no dog in the fight, yet I would get legitimately MAD about carbon race bikes. Maybe some of these anons can also learn to relax like I did. I have steel bikes, aluminum bikes, and carbon bikes now, and way more friends who ride than I did before. Racing is tons of fun. Fast group rides are great. Big kinda slow rides with a friend or two out in the country are also super. They’re just bikes. For fucks sake.
>>
>>1298480
You're replying to the guy who went into a thread about steel bikes just to shit on them.
>>
>>1298490
I did. What a useless post. I bet you kiss your dad.
>>
I can't wait to see how people react when Trek announces their Dyneema bike on Tuesday.
>>
>>1298472
>impact damage
OH NONONONOOOOOO
http://www.bustedcarbon.com/2011/06/too-much-power.html?m=1
>>
>>1298513
If you have never broken a bike your legs are weak
>>
>>1298480
Unlike many around /n/ I actually agree with and *like* you, you sound intelligent, well-rounded, well-adjusted, and not too-edgy-kid-like. Thanks for the input.

Now, if only there was a way to automatically differentiate between the too-edgy-kids, the brain-dead Fringies, and other problem children around here..
>>
>>1298515
COPE harder
>>
>>1298528
>cope
Have an original thought for once please
>>
>>1298518
>>1298480
>>1298472
Samefag
>>
>>1297580
>>1297683
>>1297952
>>1298192
These seem pretty nice, I'll be checking out the used market. Thanks for the help.

I'm surprised how close they get to the weight of aluminum for the same parts and price.
>>
>>1298491
If you're advocating for all materials for bicycles, then why act like the one guy who's spent all thread shitposting like someone smacked him in the head with a steel bar is the reasonable one?
>>
>>1298587
Because I like him the most. His posts have energy and vigor.
>>
>>1298515
>>
>>1298734
If you haven't kicked a soccer ball so hard it sheared a steel goalpost in two, your legs are weak.
>>
>>1298739
Bonus round: extra points if the goalposts were aesthetic, and moving.
>>
>>1298513
>>
>>1298743
>namefag making shit up
nobody believes your shit faggot STFU
>>
>>1298743
what is your point? that the comments are absolutely retarded?
>>
File: bike park .jpg (1024 KB, 1440x1440)
1024 KB
1024 KB JPG
>>1293416
i built mine, 650b/2.4 tires, 160mm travel, ns bikes surge evo frame. buying most parts with discount i would say its cost me around £1.6k
>>
File: Titelloses 3.jpg (882 KB, 1200x900)
882 KB
882 KB JPG
built that from an 80s steel frame with modern components, rides like a dream
>>
File: wet noodles.jpg (34 KB, 299x400)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1299256
>never gets KoMs
>always loses the sprint
>all because of wasted power
sad sad sad
>>
>>1299256
Why did you use a long cage RD?
>>
File: 1x 6000000.jpg (72 KB, 960x566)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1293416
kona honzo
kona unit
kona EXPLOSIF - very good option
cotic BFe
ragley

numerour others HC HT frame brands

btw-the wheelbase on your pic is way too short
>>
>>1299381
it feels plenty fast and is really fun to ride, also i dont worry about KoMs anyway since I wouldnt get any even on a 9000dollar hillclimb bike in my sad current shape

>>1299396
the complete groupset was only available with the long cage. i actually dont need it but if i ever decide to climb the alps i can put a dinner plate on my cassette with that derailleur
>>
>>1299476
You're no fun to make fun of if you aren't even going to get angry. Spoiler! :-(

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.