[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: Statewide_System_Map.jpg (102 KB, 500x655)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Governor Gavin Newsom (D) officially put CAHSR out of its misery today.
>>
I could see this as a smart move if you consider once it's routed through a city, it's permanent. SF has amtrack once you hit San Jose and iirc LA has some form of lightrail. Maybe they're waiting to cement a decent line before blowing fat stacks of taxes.
>>
Source: (OP) semen filled anal cavity.
>>
>>1284732
OP is referring to his statements in the SotS, retard. Having said that, he only limited the route to one between Merced and Bakersfield, he didn't kill it entirely. Either way, nice to see the shills get BTFO of their dream of killing cars in the state. Get fucked, commie.
>>
So how much got spent and how many construction sites will sit partial done?
>>
>>1284744
They only started construction work in the Valley, which the plan to complete eventually. Many billions have been spent already, including $3.5 billion from the feds, which is why they are completing the sections already under construction but no more than that.
>>
>>1284740
t. airlines stock holders
>>
>>1284746
Which is even worse than just stop it immediately and walk away, in term of state financial, since the demand in central valley itself surely cannot support a high speed rail route.
>>
>>1284740
>I know that some critics are going to say, ‘Well, that’s a train to nowhere.’ But I think that’s wrong and I think that’s offensive,”
I am sorry that facts are offensive, Democrats.
>>
>>1284748
I'm glad they're half assing it just to trigger you autistic Br*wn shills. You lost, get over it.
>>
>>1284721
S
>>
>>1284751
I am sorry that infrastructure is considered brown in America
>>
>>1284754
>brainlet europoor interjecting on something he knows nothing about
Brown was the previous governor who shilled hard for HSR. Now fuck off back to threads about your own shithole, this doesn’t concern you.
>>
>>1284721
It was never a good idea to start with and being a life-long California resildent I voted against it. Didn't help it was proposed during the Recession when there was no money, but it was an ill-conceived project from the very beginning regardless. I liked Jerry Brown for the most part, he did a great job with lots of things, but this and the Delta Tunnels were not IMO his brightest moves.
>>
Well that's pretty fucking depressing, but not unexpected. I guess that means LA Union Station probably won't be getting its badly needed overhaul either.
>>
>>1284751
You're difficult to understand, do you know that?
What do you mean 'we lost'? Newsome is a Democrat, Cox was the Republican, and he was soundly defeated, California remains as Blue as ever.
Or do you mean the HSR project? As I said it was a bad idea from the beginning, and I voted for Jerry Brown, and I'm still saying that.
>>
>>1284740
>Cannot train from bako to LA
>HSR implemented
>Still cannot train from bako to LA

Fuck the bus route, avoiding traffic is the whole reason I'd take the train in the first place

Goddamnit why couldn't it be Fresno to LA or something

Or even normal speed trains to bridge bako to LA
>>
>>1284760
My family is from the Delta and will never forgive Brown for the shit he tried to pull up there.
>>
Assuming HSR trains actually start running on the Merced - Bakersfield section is only a matter of time until it's extended to LA/SF. Maybe newsom was playing 4D chess all along.
>>
>>1284767
Except Newsom will be out by the time the Valley route is even completed, so doubtful. The bond was passed in 2008, they've barely even completed several miles worth of line since then. It's not happening. California will be an anarchic wasteland before HSR enters Los Angeles from the Valley. Screencap this post.
>>
>>1284767
No one is going to extend a lost making line
>>
>>1284760
>Didn't help it was proposed during the Recession when there was no money,

That would have been the best time to take out bonds and work on the most expensive segments since the property values, cost of steel, and labor was cheapest. Still, it was bloated and the cost was rapidly spiraling out of control.
>>
It's kind of sad that California is so rich but they have the worst roads, the worst rail, the worst infrastructure, the worst urban planning, the worst public university system, the worst civil government of any major state.
>>
>>1284804
So you haven't been anywhere outside California then? Or maybe the problem is you're from some garbage-tier flyover state and have never visited California. Either way your ignorance makes your opinion easily discarded.
>>
>>1284812
I agree with them except for the university system
>>
>>1284796
Because the economy renounced
>>
Good, maybe then they'll reconsider the retarded and unnecessary Palmdale detour.
>>
Just goes to show that the future of HSR development in the US is clearly in the private sector. Leftists and statists btfo, big gubbmint cant control their spending and cant built shit
>>
>>1284804
>worst roads
Pennsylvania would like to have a word with you
>>
>>1284831
That is if private sectors are allowed to do so
>>
HSR requires
>country that's super centralized and everything is within 500 miles of the center
>extensive local and regional mass transit
>fairly wealthy citizenry but low car-ownership
So basically it can succeed in Japan and France and nowhere else.
>>
>>1284721
So Merced to Bakersfield is confirmed.

Route selection from Bakersfield to LA is in the late stages, so we could have LA to Merced.
There's significant progress being made on a 125 mph alignment between San Jose and Merced so I still see it happening, just that it'll be much more piecemeal in its approach.
>>
>>1284831
meanwhile in the private sector:
Texas Central Railway was official declared not a railroad by a federal judge
and Virgin Trains USA (brightline) cancelled their IPO
>>
>>1284852
>France
>Wealthy
Oh (You)
>>
>>1284854
>Route selection from Bakersfield to LA is in the late stages, so we could have LA to Merced.
Kek, you people are fucking delusional. They can barely build a straight line through the flattest part of the state and you expect them to manage construction through the fucking Tehachapis? Bro, it's over, they aren't building your stupid HSR to Los Angeles. MAYBE they'll finally get a passenger route over the mountains via the standard-gauge Tehachapi Loop if the state is nice enough to the Class Is. Otherwise, quit living in your fantasy land while you expect everyone else to foot the bill. Your entitlement and delusion is un-fucking-believable.
>>
>>1284804
Most of those are bad, but you can easily find a state worse in one of the aspects you mentioned.
>>
Regardless of whether HSR in California is eventually completed, Newsom's decision means high speed rail won't connect to LA or SF until the 2040s at least and most likely much later.
>>
File: n4bedford-1.jpg (185 KB, 1140x798)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>1284804
>>1284833
>Michigan roads are all bad, but some are worse than others.
>—Arthur Jerome Eddy, early automobile enthusiast, 1902

Terrible roads are a hallowed tradition in Michigan, and claims by other states that they in fact have the worst roads are laughable.
>>
>>1284869
You're fucking kidding me.
>>
>>1284721
F
>>
>>1284721
>>1284901
S
>>
>>1284869
>Virgin Trains USA (brightline) cancelled their IPO

Confirmed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-12/branson-branded-train-to-disney-to-be-biggest-2019-u-s-ipo-yet

It's as if there's a systematic effort right now to eliminate every project or organization that promotes privately-run American rail travel. I'm going to "reeeee" now. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1284903
For real, I bet the shutdown of the California HSR is why the IPO was delayed. Virgin saw that there wasn't demand for trains in the US so they pulled their IPO, which is bullshit because cars are all people know in the US.
>>
>>1284903
>>1284907
I'm actually not that surprised that Virgin decided to delay there IPO desu cause it seems like they jumped the gun a little when Branson got involved when the whole system is barely a year old (they haven't even finished changing brands yet).
It makes a little more sense to assume that they'll try and generated better passenger numbers and revenue before public again to be more desirable to investors but I know jack about stocks so I'm probably wrong.
>>
>>1284912
In that case, then Virgin Trains USA is not as dead as Cali HSR or even Texas Central. Good times are yet to come, folks!
>>
>>1284903
>>1284907
>>1284869
The stock market situation is simply not right for such a large scale IPO now.
>>
>>1284869
>Texas Central Railway was official declared not a railroad by a federal judge
What they need to do is to either buy a rail line or build a short segment first
>>
>>1284879
It's clear that you don't understand how these projects work, and haven't looked at the planning documents.

What is it like to be perpetually furious that the world isn't precisely how you wish it were?
>>
>>1284940
Yeah and Los Angeles planned to build an underwater water hose from the Columbia River to their shithole decades ago. Funny how your pipedreams don't always work out for you, eh?
>>
It's a good idea to finish the central valley portion of HSR. Even though it doesn't reach SF or LA, people will come from all over to ride the only true high speed train in the US. Basically it will be a huge tourist attraction and bring lots of tourist dollars to the central valley cities.
>>
>>1284869
>Federal
That's not federal
>>
>>1284942
>Tourist attraction
And that's not a sound business case.
>>
>>1284942
Have you ever BEEN to the Central Valley? It's a wasteland, there's no scenic appeal whatsoever to that route. On a clear day you might be able see the Sierras, but otherwise its just dusty orchards, cotton fields and vineyards as far as the eye can see.
>>
>>1284943
Elaborate anon
>>
>>1284941
That's not an argument.
I have reasons to believe that it will be a crawling finish, late and over budget. You have...weak analogies? I don't have any need to convince you because it'd simply be impossible. Do some digging, do some of your own research and think through what you're saying rather than simply yelling on the internet.

In the meantime, we'll simply have to sit and watch as events unfold.
>>
>>1284947
>That's not an argument.
It actually is
>>
>>1284946
County courts aren't federal court.
>>
>>1284947
>we'll simply have to sit and watch as events unfold.
Please hold your breath.
>>
>>1284952
>>1284948
>>1284946
>>1284945
>>1284944
>>1284941
>>1284879
>>1284831
cop this samefag
absolute bloody madman
>>
>>1284944
The central valley part of HSR is already half built. They might as well find some use for it. When they're not running tourist trains Amtrak can use the tracks as well to run faster service. Maybe there can be Acela-type service between Bakersfield and Merced. If they build HSR further north to Stockton maybe it can connect with ACE and now you have a link to the SF bay area although not as fast as the original HSR system would have been.
>>
>>1284954
>multiple people disagree with you and call out your delusions with brand new evidence that even Newsom isn't interested in risking much political capital on this boondoggle anymore
>"better claim samefag!"
Yikes!
>>
>>1284955
You are delusional

A tourist line may not even break even, causing even more losses and bloating the project

Does the segment under construction even connect to other lines?
>>
>>1284957
It wouldn't be too hard to build some terminals in Merced to the Amtrak San Joaquin route or in Modesto. The real delusion is believing it will still be built to Los Angeles despite all evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>1284960
>It wouldn't be too hard to build some terminals in Merced to the Amtrak San Joaquin route or in Modesto.

I changed my mind. I agree with you. I can't wait to see how your proposal works out
>>
>>1284957
How am I delusional? If they build HSR to Merced I guarantee there will be huge political pressure to build further to Stockton and provide connectivity to the bay area. If the tracks are built there will be multiple uses for them including Amtrak and rail tourism.
>>
>>1284831
Its been a shitty week for private rail as well.

>Texas HSR was ruled as not a railroad by a judge
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Leon-County-residents-celebrating-district-judges-ruling-on-proposed-bullet-train-505693511.html

>No IPO for Brightline
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article226155030.html
>>
>>1284956
>no screenshot

it's a samefag!
>>
>>1284956
All these multiple people with the exact same writing style and the exact same snark

Haha nice it's a crowd of 17 year old prageru watchers
>>
>>1284962
That's just speculation on my part, not the guy you first responded to btw. To be honest, I've taken the Amtrak San Joaquin line, it actually does a quite decent job of providing service to the Valley with fairly frequent schedules. The HSR through the Valley is pretty redundant and unnecessary as a result, but it's not the worst thing if it does end up being built. Billing it as a tourist line though is insane to anyone who has the displeasure of passing through the area frequently. Only way they could make it scenic is by hugging the Sierra foothills, and that's definitely not happening at this point.
>>
>>1284963
I changed my mind. It's a great idea--go for it!
>>
>>1284721
>“But let’s be real. The project, as currently planned, would cost too much and take too long. There’s been too little oversight and not enough transparency.”
Based Newsom, these words are kryponite to the shills. Now watch the rats ITT scurry around trying to refute what Newsom said and somehow call him a liar.
>>
>>1284972
He's not lying but you're fucking mental m8
>>
>>1284974
I see you are conceding the argument, I accept.
>>
I wanted to get into train travel to go down to San Diego for a few weekends, but it was way more expensive than driving there and I kept hearing from people who always said it was late.
>>
People getting all excited about nothing. High speed rail valley section will be completed as planned. Connection to bay area will now be done by transfer to existing rail infrastructure - Amtrak, ACE, BART, etc until funding for the direct route becomes available. Connection to LA put off to the indefinite future just like the original plan.
>>
>>1284977
>Connection to LA put off to the indefinite future just like the original plan.
Nice revisionism, look at the fucking OP map and what is covered in Phase I. LA getting the shaft is new and a huge victory. They could extend the HSR to Sacramento and even Redding as far as I'm concerned and that would be just fine. Fuck LA.
>>
This is the best thing that could happen to CAHSR. The price kept going up with little to no oversight. Best to kill the white elephant and try again in a little while with a better plan.
>>
>>1284979
I'm talking about the current plan they came up with a couple of years ago to abandon LA and focus on connecting the valley to the bay area. My point is that the status quo is pretty much the same before and after the governor's announcement today.
>>
>>1284967
I am sorry that you have antisocial personality symptoms that cannot tell different persons apart
>>
>>1284980
That is if it can
>>
>>1284980
What it will happen is that it will capture 0.1% traffic between the greater Los Angeles and Bay Area for travel demand close to both terminals, and then they will use the data to show that it have already covered the Los Angles to San Francisco market and thus future large investment is unwarranted, and that it can only cover a marginal market will show the rail is non-competitive, and the traffic number will also show the construction of the rail is a bad decision and it will make operational losses that will cause the line be closed down in the future.
>>
Ah, so it seems like what he is saying is just that the Central Valley portion will be public investment and let private investment do the connect into cities part
>>
>>1284721
Literally didn't happen though. First planned section still under control striction and to co time. Planning work for the full SF to LA phase 1 still happening. Read what was actually said.
>>
>>1284750
Nigger, you understand it can be used for passenger rail other than standalone HSR, right?
>>
>>1284804
You're dumb as fuck. The UC system is literally the best single public university system on Earth.
>>
>>1284980
The price didn't keep going up. A previous estimate was $100B and later went down to $77B. The total costs estimate has fluctuated both up and down. Still cheaper either way than adding equivalent capacity with new
highway lanes and airport expansion.
>>
>>1284994
What will be the demand for such an region with relatively little population, mostly low density development and lack non-car-based mobility options, and is also relatively underdeveloped with little reason for others to travel into it? It will be worse than Brightline's current performance
>>
>>1285000
It's not a self contained line you fucking reatrded chimp. Existing Amtrak services, that have near record high ridership for those lines (which stretch beyond this section of HSR track) can operate on the track at higher maximum speeds than they currently do.
>>
>>1284996
>In the Voter Guide for Proposition 1A, the California Legislative Analyst’s Office noted a 2006 estimate from the California High-Speed Rail Authority that the total cost to develop and construct the entire high-speed train system would be about $45 billion. In 2011, a preliminary Business Plan stated that Phase 1 (between the downtowns of San Francisco and Los Angeles) would cost $98 billion.
kys shill, Brown should stop sending you fucks paychecks since you do such a shit job of selling a failed product. The bond would have never passed to begin with if they were upfront and honest about the true costs of the project when the vote was held. You are such a blatant revisionist it's disgusting.
>>
>>1285002
You literally just confirmed that the point made is, in fact, true. Congrats.
>>
>>1285002
The initial bond was EXPLICITLY stated to be a seed fund, not the total cost. It's 100% your fault if you didn't and don't understand that.
>>
>>1285003
>>1285004
>$45 billion at the time of the vote to $98 billion three years later is not the price going up
Brainlet-tier disingenuous revisionism
>>
>>1285001
Until you reach San Francisco/Los Angeles the statement is still true for all the lines in the network. The "record high ridership" on those lines couldn't even support a hourly service. And just the central valley portion of the line would not be able to improve the service between San Francisco and Los Angeles into being a very competitive one either.
>>
>>1284996
>The price didn't keep going up.
Yes it did
Original estimate was $40 billion
That goes up to $64 billion
Inflated too $100 billion
Nah j/k it's $77 billion
They don't have a fucking clue

>Still cheaper either way than adding equivalent capacity with new highway lanes and airport expansion.
Nope
>>
If ACE is extended to Modesto or Merced the high speed rail system can still provide a viable commuting option for people who want to live in the valley and work in the SF bay area
>>
>>1285009
Not competitive enough against commuter flights and existence if such service will be used as reasons against further extension
>>
Cool now I can just ride to Bakersfield instead of San Fran.

Guess ones it is built we will finally be a big city
R-right guys
>>
Why not just have it from Modesto to Burbank??

Fuck going deep into the city. Take the last leg by bus or cab. Besides not everyone wants to go into downtown SF/LA. A bus hub/uber hub for the final 80 miles web.
>>
>Merced and Bakersfield as tourist attraction
HSRfag delusion simply has no limits.
>>
>>1284986
In other words, it's cancelled.
>>
>>1285053
What's the point of high speed rail if time spent on connecting to and from both terminals are almost as long or longer than the rail trip itself
>>
>>1285060
"Inviting private investment participation" = cancel?
>>
>>1285053
>Why not just have it from Modesto to Burbank??
There's a huge mountain range separating the central valley from socal. Tunneling through those mountains for high speed rail is impossibly expensive for a state to finance without federal help. There's another smaller mountain range separating the bay area from the central valley which also requires an expensive tunnel. High speed rail can only be built relatively cheaply where the land is flat which is why it will only run in the central valley.
>>
The thread is another prove that /pol/ board is a mistake.
>>
>>1285062
yeah just sit and wait for all those investors looking to cash in on HSR without billions in government subsidy, it'll surely happen.
>>
Why didn't they do sacremento <-> SF or SJ?
This thing is exepensive boondogle.
How many people even go between SF and LA? Plane faster and same price desu.
>>
>>1285069
You mean Brightline and Texas Central?
>>
>>1285070
There's already a train from Sacramento to Oakland and then you can BART to SF. Caltrain already runs from SF to SJ.
>>
>>1285070
Sacramento SF or SJ would be too short for high speed rail? A higher speed rail will already suffice .
Amount of demand between SF and LA is large and train will capture most of those traffic even if planes are going to launch a price war to undercut trains given international experience.
>>
>>1285075
But it will never be finished.
>>
>>1285086
That's problem in the execution not the plan itself
>>
>>1285071
You mean a novelty shuttle service that does 27 miles in 36 minutes, not counting boarding? HSR is truly amazing.
>>
>>1285089
The phase II. Their current phase I is like the alternative plan proposed here by the current governor.
>>
>>1285071
Texas Central is basically a shell company to funnel government moneys into rich people's pockets.
>>
>>1285091
What government money are we talking about?
>>
>>1285090
>of course HSR can succeed, just look at this non-existent thing that's surely already working
>>
>>1285094
They're still farther ahead in progress than CAHSR phase II
>>
I wish we could be proud of something that isnt the military for once. Why cant we have nice things too? Its all so exhausting.
>>
>>1285113
Republicans are retarded or malicious. Democrats lack the will or come packaged with stuff we dont want.
>>
Did anyone ever think about floating the train in the ocean? Stick it 50m below in a floating tunnel and you don't have to worry about mountains or property acquisition.
>>
>>1285117
>>
>>1284721
Kek america's infrastructure is truly 3rd world. Even fucking kazakhstan has high speed rail now. The borat movie won't even make sense anymore within a generation.
>>
>>1285117
Floating tunnels have never been built yet, but Norway plans to construct them in the near-future.

The Netherlands is in the process of building a sea floor tunnel, but it will require sinking sealed pre-fabicated parts, sealing the parts together, burrying it under concrete and sea sediments and rocks and then opening up the parts between the pre-fabricated parts.
>>
>>1285053
Once you're to Burbank it's pretty easy to get downtown. I believe there's an old RoW they were planning on using and if not the trains could merge onto Metrolink's tracks for the last leg.
>>
>>1284980
>again in a little while with a better plan.
In the what, 2030's? At thos rate I'll be dead before it ever happens.
>>
S
>>
>>1285159
No
>>
>>1284721
>the first high speed railroad on the west coast would've been in the rather flat state of California
good. make a Seattle To Portland line instead. it would be a much better achievement than building even more shit in Cali.
>>
>>1285230
I wish, but as usual they're stuck in a loop of conducting studies and making plans, which do little but produce binders of bullshit that sit in a box somewhere.
>>
>>1285063
Not in America where every single land owner kicks the fuck off about muh freedom and muh eminent domain.
They have a similar issue in Japan which is why 86% of the Chuo Shinkansen is being tunneled (lmao no views).
Tunneling can be cheaper when land costs are prohibitively high such as in the LA exurbs.
>>
>>1285249
>tunneling in areas of active fault lines
Smart. I’m aware this applies to Japan too btw
>>
>>1285274
Also I should add that HSR can gas it up hills much easier than freight trains for obvious reasons.

The height difference between Tehachapi town and the Bakersfield valley is only 1000m or so over about 25 miles. The Hokuriku Shinkansen does a similar gain in height between Takasaki and Karuizawa in just under 25 miles.

The tehachapis are a nightmare if you're a freight train, but not so much if you're a high powered EMU
>>
>>1285286
Curves will dictate max speed more than elevation change for lightweight passenger trains
>>
There was a time this would have upset me but by now I have given up on HSR in the US. At this point I would be happy with just upgrading conventional amtrak lines to handle 125mph.
>>
>>1285288
Exactly, it won't need to curve around so much and do all the loops like the current freight alignment.

it can straightshot (obviously tunneling here and there - or tunneling the whole way but it's not necessary) up to the maximum height without needing to twist and turn to keep the gradient flatter
>>
>>1285249
Japan has really strong property rights. Though it usually isn't a problem as they like rail development and get paid decently for the land.

In the USA. It's all driven by lawyers and real estate barons. Trying to suck every penny from a project just for the profit.
>>
>>1285333
I've never known anyone here in the US who had to deal with eminent domain of their property, but offering a price well above market value should be the first step. I imagine what probably happens is that the property owner gets an offer of their current land's value that is determined by bureaucrats (thus undervalued) and not at or above the actual market value which is why many people are resist it. Paying people a lot more for their property that it's technically worth seems quicker and cheaper than dealing with a series of protracted legal battles, but as I said idk much about it. The risk would be that if it wasn't all done at once, people would start holding out for even more than that.
>>
>>1285401
Not sure about what the US usually does but the UK acquired land at value +20% or so, I believe.
>>
>>1285401
What you dumbass doesn't realize is that "market value" changes greatly and constantly as government accumulates more and more land around you.
>>
>>1285425
>at value +20% or so

That's a start but it doesn't seem like enough when you factor in the landowner's inconvenience and moving costs. You really have to sweeten the deal so they'll want to take it willingly at the first offer

>>1285427
Look at how stupid you are
>>
>>1285401
>>1285429
What your not understanding is the government doesn't give a shit and can take the land for fucking free if they wanted. That's why when retards don't the sell to the government for market value they fuck your ass.
>Pay for inconvenience
Lol again you don't own your land in America and they give 0 fucks.
>>
>>1285453
>What your not understanding is the government doesn't give a shit and can take the land for fucking free if they wanted.
In theory they can, in practice it has resulted in years, even decades worth of litigation

>Lol again you don't own your land in America and they give 0 fucks.
You don't really own your own land anywhere

Great feedback
>>
>>1285230
Are they actually going to do Seattle-Vancouver HSR? Both British Columbia and Washington state are being very forward with the project, but it's not going to be until later this year where they will actually have a proposed rail routing and cost estimate.
>>
Why don't they just build the high speed rail tracks along the 5 freeway to get through the mountains? If cars and trucks can make it over the mountains can't they build a train that can do the same?
>>
>>1285472
Possibly curves that would put a limit on its speed, maybe the availability of suitable land without significant earthmoving

And I'm not certain but land along I-5 might still need to be purchased to widen the total ROW, so you're really just hamstringing the project for no real gain
>>
Based NIMBY
>>
I wonder if Boring Company can make digging tunnels cheap enough to where it makes more sense to bury the line rather than trying to buy everyone out of real estate.
>>
>>1285596
US is one of the countries where land owners own mineral rights for anything under their land as well.
>>
>>1285596
>I wonder if Boring Company can make digging tunnels cheap enough to where it makes more sense to bury the line rather than trying to buy everyone out of real estate.
Boring Company currently owns only 2 sewage tunnel TBMs. They are constructing a 3rd which will be small as well.

Only deep level London Underground loading gauge trains will be able to fit in tunnels built by Boring Company. Boring Company is nothing but a ploy to force you to by Tesla cars which will be the only cars allowed in the Loop tunnels.
>>
Bay Area <--> LA flights are a huge waste of existing slots at airports. Freeing some of them up for better medium and long haul connections would be great.

And adding the equivalent capacity as HSR in the form of new highway lanes and airport gates/runways has been repeatedly estimated to cost more than building HSR.
>>
>>1285679
>And adding the equivalent capacity as HSR in the form of new highway lanes and airport gates/runways has been repeatedly estimated to cost more than building HSR.

Doubt it
>>
>>1285673
>deep level London Underground loading gauge trains will be able to fit in tunnels built by Boring Company
Then why not just use tube trains instead of cars? Anyone who falls for this is a retard.
>>
>>1285596
There is no new innovation with The Boring Company. They just bought standard NATM tunnel boring machines that existed since the early 80s. They _might_ have a plan to make their own machines with proprietary features at some point, but I doubt they will be better than the top-of-the-line stuff from Italian and Japanese manufacturers who currently dominate the tunnel boring machine market.
>>
>>1285683
It was repeatedly put into cost estimate reports from multiple sources.
>>
>>1285683
Do you have any idea how much money thousands of lane-miles of freeway costs? And that's not even accounting for land acquisition.
>>
>>1285687
>Then why not just use tube trains instead of cars?
Because, it seems that everyone in the US hates MRT systems, because they think that the New York Subway, BART, Washington Metro, Chicago "L" and the MBTA Subway are shit.

This is forgetting that Miami Metrorail, LA Metro Rail, Cleveland RTA Red Line, PACTO Speedline, the New Jersey PATH, the Baltimore Metro SubwayLink, the Atlanta MARTA and even the San Juan Tren Urbano.

I think Americans are too in love with the car to think about not owning a car and properly investing in MRT in their cities. Boring Company could make the tunnels for Tube like sized trains to fit in. This is forgetting that there are even narrow gauge underground systems like the Glasgow Subway in Scotland. But, because Americans are stubborn about their cars, they'd rather have a glorified road tunnel.
>>
>>1285697
>It was repeatedly put into cost estimate reports from multiple sources.
I don't see any

>>1285700
>Do you have any idea how much money thousands of lane-miles of freeway costs?
Less than $77 billion including land aquisition

Obvious adding terminals and runways would cost less as well

>>1285701
>Boring Company could make
When is this meme going to die
>>
>>1284902
>t. cagecuck
>>
>>1285791
>When is this meme going to die
When Elon does with it.
>>
>>1285691

I have to somewhat agree here. Musk idea makes sense to optimize for certain diameters and continuous boring, but it does seem like there are a lot more issues you run into that have to be custom tailored to where you are digging. Out of all of his companies, this one seems to be the most likely to fail.
>>
>>1285117
I guess you didn't follow the news about underwater cable and how easily they could be damaged as well as how frequently getting damaged
>>
>>1284756
nothing that is regarded as public transport in usa concern us anon
you are like 3 decades behind europe in that matter
your trains are never on time
they look awfull
they smell bad
your buses are like from the 40s boring and dull
everything is done purely for profit and nothing else
>>
Why don't they try setting up a high speed bus service between LA and San Francisco? If they get some high speed buses and have dedicated bus lanes on the 5 freeway it could be competitive with high speed rail travel times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNixDlRoMvA
>>
American politics are controlled by local politicians and therefore nothing meaningful can get done re: transit.
>>
>>1285986
Good.
>>
>>1285984
Not competitive against planes?
>>
>>1286887
Good for American auto industry? Unfortunately no one buy them
>>
>>1286908
Interesting point, Wang
>>
>>1285986
>american politics is controlled by politicians
>>
File: ACTIVATE CAR.gif (671 KB, 320x240)
671 KB
671 KB GIF
>>1284831
>>1284869
>>1284903
>>1284907
This is fucking blackpilling. At least Texas Central is receiving equipment and help from the people running the Japanese Shinkansen lines.

California turned down help from both European and Japanese railways in designing and planning their lines. SCNF even had a private funding proposal.

This country is fucked and we're going to be stuck with planes, busses, and cars until the 2200s.
>>
>>1286966
I would be shocked if the US lasts beyond this century. Shame I'll be gone a bit after 2050 rolls around.
>>
File: ptg 2.jpg (141 KB, 763x809)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>1284831
>The American government can't control their spending and can't build shit
Lolbergs:
>big gubbmint cant control their spending and cant built shit XD!!!!
>>
File: State of (((You))).gif (1.72 MB, 480x368)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
>>1284869
>Texas Central Railway was official declared not a railroad by a federal judge
haha
HAHA
Someone needs to put America out of its misery.
>>
>>1285425
It's 125% of property value in the UK, but that's it usually. None of this negotiation bullocks.
>>
>>1287082
It was literally a county judge from Leon county. Not a Federal judge. Texas Central is incorporated and recognized as a railroad company by the state of Texas, meaning that they have the right to survey private land to determine the best routing for the rail line (the issue the county judge ruled on). The anon you quoted is a fucking dumbass.
>>
What they really ought to do is replace CAHSR with a mid-speed auto train. The route would be vastly cheaper to build, it'd still be faster than driving if it could average over 70mph, and I think people would be much more likely to actually use it if they could take their own car with them and use it to get to their final destinations while also being able to kick back and enjoy a train ride instead of fighting semis and traffic all the way up I-5
>>
>>1287251
It's not entirely a bad idea but be forewarned that if you do that and want true HSR later you'll spend decades upgrading it bit by bit like the NEC
>>
>>1284869
>Texas Central Railway was official declared not a railroad
What does this mean? I don't understand. Is it BRT? Monorail? what?
>>
>>1287251
What we should do is just have pic related moving back and forth based on orders of the executive council
>>
The high speed rail northern terminus in Merced is already connected to the bay area via the amtrak san joaquins and ACE in the future. They should just spend some money on upgrading those existing corridors to higher speed rail.
>>
>>1285687
>Then why not just use tube trains instead of cars? Anyone who falls for this is a retard.
First of all, you are the retard for falling for the Boring Company meme.
Second of all, tube trains are speed limited due to the third rail and just lack of room for equipment.
>>
>>1285984
>BRT but it's intercity
Please stop posting.
>>
>>1287230
thanks for the clarification anon
>>
>>1287251
>it'd still be faster than driving if it could average over 70mph
HSR is supposed to be competitive with flying as well as driving.
>>
>>1287415
>They should just spend some money on upgrading those existing corridors to higher speed rail.
The track alignments probably aren't good for HSR.
>>
>>1287429
Stockton to Fremont takes about 1.5 hours on ACE which of course goes through the Altamont corridor. The ACE train is very slow. If they can improve the route and increase the speed ACE might be good enough for commuting from the valley even if it can't reach high speed rail speeds. Once you get to Fremont you can ride BART to Oakland and SF pretty easily or stay on ACE to San Jose.
>>
>>1284748

This. Its now the train to nowhere.
>>
>>1284831

brightline already runs empty
>>
>>1284912

if they do an ipo they cant make up their ridership numbers anymore
>>
>>1286966
Don't worry mate, it's not like America will be relevant then. The future will be a struggle between China and a Global German-led free trade alliance
>>
>>1287581
Fuck off reatrded. It's connected to the tracks Amtrak uses beyond d this segment.
>>
Everyone ITT has checked his Twitter by now right and the "clarification" he made, right? He basically said he supports CAHSR 100% and his plan (CV first, then valley to valley) is what CHSRA's plan always was. Everything will continue according to schedule, coming up soon are the EIRs for Pacheco which will hit at about the same time the SJJPA considers putting existing San Joaquins onto CAHSR tracks. Newsom will then have to conjure up funding for Pacheco tunnels in his next budget, with construction starting in about 2021 and lasting thru 2026. Tehachapi's EIR is expected to be done in 2021 for a build from 2022-2027 which sets up CAHSR for it's final build down into Los Angeles Union Station.

Everything is coming together nicely, except for the three mile stretch between 4th&King and the new TTC which SF still hasn't figured out and is unlikely to for another decade.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.