[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next 72 hours. Click here to submit your application.

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

How to cycle when it's cold? I need to get to a place 15km away and come back within a day but I don't wanna pay for transportation.
>>
>>1284637
>How to cycle when it's cold?
Jacket, wind tight clothes, gloves and a scarf.
When you pedal hard, you produce a lot more heat than when you don`t.
>>
>>1284637
>wear layered, functional, longsleeve clothes with a wind-proof outer layer, possibly including long johns
>wear gloves and put surgical gloves over them to keep them dry when it's really cold and wet
>wool socks
>bandana covering your nose, ears and mouth
Congrats you can now cycle when it's cold. Beware of polar bears, they're still faster than you.
>>
>>1284637
Everyone mentioned it already but protect your ears, nose, mouth, hands, and feet first. A balaclava is invaluable. Wear layers, sweater under jacket, double gloves, and double thermal socks on the coldest days. Wear weather sealed boots on mtb flats if you're not a fred that needs clips.

Things to note, it's easier to overheat while riding in winter. Your first few times are going to suck, you'll over or under dress until you learn the weather and how to gear up. If you're already toasty before starting your ride, you will overheat. Unless you plan to ride in the cold regularly, it'll be cheaper to pay for transportation that one time than pay for winter gear... but good winter gear is invaluable. Last note, good cold resistant gear doesn't have to be expensive.
>>
>>1284637
Dress in layers, and keep moving. Shoe covers, insulated full-finger gloves; rain gear as required.

If it's only 15km (less than 10 miles) then you're not even going to be 'warmed up' by the time you get there. I'd recommend doing something indoors to get warmed up and blood flowing before you head out on the bike, might help.
>>
>>1284639
Pretty much this but
>gloves with surgical gloves over them
Uh... I guess. But you're better off with water-resistant gloves. You can get a cheap pair of snowmobile gloves for $15
>>wool socks
Synthetic is better
>>
>>1284647
It feels really weird to cycle with your mouth and nose covered. Specially while climbing, I always feel out of breath.
>>
>>1284803
that's why I like the neck gaiter thing because you can just stretch it down over your bottom lip while keeping most of it covering your face. I like the stretchy kind not the fleece kind.
>>
A big thing is not to wear waterproof clothing unless it's raining. A waterproof jacket won't whick sweat and you'll get wet inside it and then if you stop you'll get cold. You need a windproof outer layer that isn't waterproof.
>>
>>1284805
yeah i like those strechy neck gaiters too, just a thin one
>>1284686
>>>wool socks
>Synthetic is better
merino wool socks are pretty damn great
>>
>>1284859
You want water resistant. If you can't afford a cycling jacket running jackets are made of the same material.
>>
File: RaabBoreas.jpg (751 KB, 2205x1666)
751 KB
751 KB JPG
>>1284866
yeah, those are good. I have a cycling jacket for when i'm worried about aero on road rides. But pic related is my favourite outer layer, and that's just a windproof climbing shell. It whicks sweat, & layers better than the cycling jacket.
>>
What are and if it exists, glasses/eye wear yo protect against the wind?
>>
>>1284918
um.. any glasses will protect against wind

If it's really cold, ski goggles are nice. They inhibit periferal vision a bit and at night tinted lenses can make it a bit harder to see (clear lenses are fine though), but they keep your face warm (they help with warmth a lot more than you'd think) and are comfy

Ski helmets are based for winter cycling too
>>
>>1284921
I live in dusty area. Is it gay to ride in safety glasses?
>>
>>1284932
who cares
the optics on them are generally pretty shitty though, even new, so it's kinda annoying if you like lookin at things, doing it through plastic not glass
>>
>>1284637
get a snood.
i dont wear them everywhere but i wear mtb goggles sometimes. that combined with a snood means no wind/cold in your face. plus you can keep your eyes good when its snowing or raining
>>
>>1284650
Whaat? I ride like 8-9km to work and i am warm before the second kilometer. Maybe cause i have some denevilation but even on flat surface i think you can get warm somewhat faster than making it to the 15th kilometer.
>>
>>1284932
It's gay to care if other people think it's gay
>>
>>1284637
How cold (in °C)? How fat are you?
>>
>>1286877
About 10. I've got a little chub going on now (because I haven't been cycling for months) but I wouldn't call myself fat.
>>
>>1287014
>10°C
You're a fucking pussy lmao are you serious or did you mean 10°F?
Cycling in Alaska, the only thing I've found I really need are gloves/barmitts and warm boots. A face mask is nice when it gets really cold and there is a lot of wind.
I'm pretty lean but even I can ride around in 20-30 degree weather in gym shorts and a t shirt and be perfectly comfortable. You don't need to buy one of those puffy REI jackets, layers, or whatever all the wannabees are decked out in to stay warm. Once you get moving you generate your own heat.
>>
>>1287014
Bitch, I have been riding 40 km daily in -15 and below all winter. Man up.
>>
>>1284686
>Synthetic is better
The fuck they are.
>>
>>1287014
This is the first time I've ever wanted a temperature to be Fahrenheit
>>
Be honest, /n/, what's better-

New bike or new pussy?
>>
>>1287077
a new bike won't give me the clap like shannon did.
>>
>>1287078
that's not new pussy dude, that's buy-here-pay-here autolot pussy
>>
>>1287081
incorrect.
>>
>>1284921
>um.. any glasses will protect against wind
nah, even "bike glasses" the wind still goes through, does pic related is good? Black or yellow lenses?

https://aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Motorcycle-New-Protective-Glasses-Windproof-Dustproof-Eye-Glasses-Cycling-Goggles-Eyeglasses-Outdoor-Sports-Eyewear-Glasses/32955424101.html?spm=a2g03.10010108.1000016.1.1c4f1c59k6uolY&isOrigTitle=true

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.