[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next 72 hours. Click here to submit your application.

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: gunslinger.png (1.03 MB, 1004x822)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
Tell me about pre-WWII railway electrification in the United Kingdom. General facts, comfy pictures, everything.
>>
First thing you need to know is that electrification was slow in the UK.
The first electric railway in the UK was Volk's Electric Railway in Brighton. It was a technology demonstration and it would take passengers up and down the coast. The railway is preserved and still runs today. That was built in 1883.

The City and South London Railway was built with 4th rail electrification due to deep level tunnels under London. That started in 1890 and today forms part of the Northern Line of the London Underground. The railway was initially going to be cable hauled, but electrification was chosen instead.

The Liverpool Overhead Railway also electrified in 1893, and established 3rd rail electrification in the UK for full size trains. It was demolished, but the electrification standard was used later and became the standard for Merseyrail.

1921 was when the UK legislated to make all future electrification comply to 1500 V DC with overhead lines, however many 3rd rail railways expanded. It wasn't until 1958 that the first overhead line electrification came into service, the Woodhead Line in Sheffield.
>>
>>1284484
Don't you think you should do your own research for your school report assignment instead of making 4chan Anons do it for you, OP?
>>
>>1284494
>until 1958
imagine lads, just imagine
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/modern/marshall_01.shtml
>>
>>1284663
The more I learn about Britain's history the more I realize they don't get nearly as much hate as they deserve. America is bad in many respects, but thank God I'm not British.
>>
File: cc7gfb0nazl01.png (35 KB, 601x401)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>tfw WWII neutered the Northern heights projects
>>
File: george-liquor-stimpy.jpg (69 KB, 591x437)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1284656
No, I just want b*Ngoloids to give me comfy old electric train pictures or I'll shoot them because both are my God-given American right.
>>
>>1284663
The more I read that article, the more I realise that "Global Power" mentality is what lead to Brexit.
>>
>>1285096
Just sit back and enjoy the shitshow.
>>
>>1284656
If you're done with your assignment please post it so I can review it for accuracy. thx

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.