[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 129 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: reboot.png (37 KB, 520x390)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
talk about public transport and other transport issues from australia and new zealand here
>>
>>1277496
Bit controversial when you demolish the old railway to build a battery tram, only hope they make hunter street worth visiting as planned I guess. Any local opinions about Newcastle Light Rail?
>>
>>1277496
First for seeing balls on the bus and train.
>>
Anyone on the pakenham line want to shed some light about all the fuckery going on over there? I'm on the other side of the city.
>>
File: 7470520-3x2-940x627.jpg (119 KB, 940x627)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
VLocity service to Albury when?
>>
>>1277759
What are you talking about? Emphatically no! VLocities do not have first class seating, or cars with a cafe bar, or a luggage car. They wouldn't make the service noticeably faster either. Just make sure they're hauled by locomotives that can do 160/210 km/h same as the VLocities or better yet the XPT. Then you'll realise the track isn't made for high speeds like that either. I cannot see a good use for DMUs on the long-haul.
>>
>>1277770
V/Line is buying 6 car DMUs with first class and dinning services. They are already running to Bairnsdale, which is almost as far as Albury.
Also this:
https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/work-starts-to-get-vlocity-trains-for-the-north-east-line/
>>
File: 1483404252002.jpg (24 KB, 250x250)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>1277652
b- battery tram?
>>
>>1277785
I'm a bit skeptical here of a few things:
- Where do you bring your bike and extra luggage on board? At the moment it goes in an extra carriage.
- Are the current passenger carriages really in a bad state? They've only recently been re-painted.
- What about capacity? They removed one carriage from each service and assigned one more N class to service and called it an improvement. Current services are fairly well booked at peak periods.
I watched one video of the Bairnsdale Vlocity and couldn't see any difference from an ordinary one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMTSS7L76M
>>
>>1277799
>- Where do you bring your bike and extra luggage on board? At the moment it goes in an extra carriage.
Yeah, thats a problem. AFAIK they've even removed bike storage from the medium haul routes.
>- Are the current passenger carriages really in a bad state? They've only recently been re-painted
Air con is mostly working on the N carriages -now-. But you can definitely tell they are 3-40 years old on the inside.
>- What about capacity?
New lay out carriage I think, with more storage/amenities. Slightly less PAX per train but more frequent service compared to the current trains.
>>
File: 20170822_092929.jpg (2.58 MB, 5312x2988)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
>>1277652
Never been to Newcastle and probably never will. That said, I think it's a mistake, and the locals seem pretty upset about it online. I reckon the city will regret losing its station in a few decades, like Sydney and its tram network.
>>
>>1277652
stupid fucking idea ripping up heavy rail in this day and age - as the problem of overcrowding in our cities gets worse the problem is more decentralisation to regional centres, and that means better transport to them

as seen from their experience trying to build sydney light rail I wouldn't trust the NSW government with anything rn
>>
>>1277858
wait, there is no train servicing newcastle now? just light rail?
>>
>>1277867
The intercity trains now all go to 'Newcastle Interchange' (one station past Breadmeadow), where you will have to get on the tram to go down Hunter Street. They've demolished the entire railway past that point.

https://revitalisingnewcastle.nsw.gov.au/what-we-are-doing/newcastle-light-rail/
>>
Everyone shits on it, but honestly Sydney Trains is pretty good. Also we're the only ones with double deckers.
>>
>>1278139
Double deckers take longer to load and unload so are better over longer distances between stops. Sydney has a higher average stop spacing than Melbourne so this works for them ok. The really increase throughput on the trains though, you'll need single deckers which can load/unload reasonably fast, just like they're getting for Sydney Metro. Big problem I see with that though, is that the metro will only run to Chatswood at first, so they won't be really useful until you get metro in the CBD.
>>
>>1277652
Honestly? If they ACTUALLY expand upon the tram system I'll consider the stupid sacrifice of rupping up the heavy rail worth it because light rail wouldnt have been built without it, but considering the appalling Sydney light rail debacle I sincerely doubt it
>>
File: Newcastle-Trams-1938.png (915 KB, 1141x749)
915 KB
915 KB PNG
>>1278153
A reminder of what once was...
>>
>>1277652
Remember that the mayor who took part and stood to profit from that fucked off quietly when ICAC came knocking and then decided to be shameless about it by having a cake in the shame of a brown paper bag filled with $100 notes.

And the state government still pushed ahead with it, but then it's no surprise seeing as how you could buy the premier with a bottle of grange. Too bad salim shady didn't think of that.

>>1278147
Most of the bottlenecking at the moment is on signals though with exchange type traffic occurring at a small number of stations (think Parra/Redfern/Central/Town Hall/Wynyard/North Sydney/St Leo/Chatty) while the trunk is boarding traffic so in terms of dwell you can easily optimise the timetable around that. Anyway, Metro is going to run at 4 minute intervals on ATO while the regular system already manages 3 minutes on glorified traffic lights. RER gets away with 2 minute intervals on longer double deckers because of SACEM.
>>
I dont know why you even include NZ lol. Wellington's trains are still totally fucked up, bus replacement more often than not.
>>
>>1278243
I wanted to include you guys
>>
File: kiwi.jpg (52 KB, 1000x575)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1278442
thanks aus bro
>>
File: The milk man cometh.png (42 KB, 160x132)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>1277785
>buying DMU's for long distance services
>>
>>1278552
At least a VLo might get you to Warrnambool in under 3 hours. Much more bearable than the Broken Hill Xploder.
>>
>>1278552
>Tim Farron meme
Why?
>>
>>1278552
What would your alternative be? The N class locos have a top speed of 130 whereas VLocity DMUs can get up to 160. In terms of passenger comfort I'd say the two are rather comparable. The distances involved make it uneconomical for electrification of the whole line. In addition, VLos can be built locally at the Bombardier plant in Dandenong.

DMUs are perfectly serviceable elsewhere in the world and there's no reason an improved model of a proven train wouldn't be perfectly fine.
>>
>>1278552
I'm actually really excited for what a long-haul vlocity will look like.
Perhaps they'll improve some of the styling, get rid of the corrie steel on the side ('muh australian aesthetics' fags get fucked, it looks bad). Plus you cna't take a 3 hcar set very seriously, a 6 car set on the other hand...
>>
>>1277652
The sane thing to do would have been elevating the line between Wickham and Civic to remove level crossings, establish a bigass station/mall at the three way junction for better interchange, then build light rail as well.

>>1279194
Electrify out to Geelong/Ballarat/Bendigo/Seymour/Traralgon and use electrodiesels for everything. They run enough trains out that far to justify that much.
>>
>>1279194
Get better locomotives that can actually do 160 km/h or more and whatever else needs to be done to ensure they haul the H sets over the track at that speed. There's nothing wrong with the H sets, the seating is infinitely more comfy than the VLocity I once had the displeasure of sitting on. Maybe it was a dud VLocity, but that seat felt really worn and didn't support my back properly.
>>
>>1279346
>>1279194
Get tilting capable sets that can do 200kmh. Tilt is going to be really important if state governments ever get remotely serious about medium/high speed rail on the garbage track alignments we have everywhere.
>>
>>1279369
APT-E clone in 1980s V/Line tangerine livery when?
>>
File: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (266 KB, 1000x667)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>1279369
Real talk, why does only Queensland have tilting trains?

Think about the time savings on Sydney - Canberra or literally any of the Victorian long haul lines.

Tilting DMUs exist too, pic related.
>>
>>1279660
If I had to guess, it's because queensland is the most decentralised state
>>
>>1279660
QLD narrow gauge vs VIC broad gauge and NSW standard gauge perhaps? Seeing as the other states' normal trains can match the service speed of the tilt trains
>>
>>1279785
Tilting obviously doesn't make much of a difference where the tracks are straight, but where they're curved, like so much of NSW's intercity routes, it'd cut loads of time from journeys
>>
>>1279660
They brought X2000 over for the XPT a while ago and just shrugged.

>>1279999
NSW Intercity makes sense but the frequency and large fleet may also make it a problem with the maintenance they're already behind on. Regional is a wreck because the tracks are ARTC and the condition makes you want to bleed from the eyes.
>>
>go to Japan for a month
>come back to Australia
>our public transit is 3rd world in comparison to theirs
God damn I’m so jealous
Miss a train in Brisbane, wait 17 minutes for the next one. Miss a train in Tokyo, wait 3 minutes for the next one. The only city in Australia with inter-urban lines is Sydney as opposed to the rest of Australia where everything just converges toward the cbd. Its a fucking joke really.
I’m looking forward to the Sydney metro but god I hope that the company who buys it up doesn’t fuck it all to hell
[spoiler]it will be bought by some shitty Chinese company who runs it into the ground within 2 years[/spoiler]
>>
"BUt nOBoDy vOtED fOr sKYrAiL"

yeah well nobody voted for idiots who can't fucking drive, either
>>
>>1282174
Remind me why people have a problem with skyrail again?
Is it literally just a bunch of nimby's upset because "IT LOOKS UGLY WAAAAAAAAAH"
I fucking hate boomers so much, I can't wait for them to all fucking die
>>
>>1277652
imao Berejiklian
>>
I'm starting to wonder if the Sydney light rail is a giant psy-op to turn people away from public transport funding
>original proposition was a south-east metro corridor that ran underground
>liberal government decides to go with a light rail because it's "cheaper" and light rail is the hip new technology we need to make it look like we're a real modern country
>palm it off to some Spanish company while leaving out key information until after they've signed on
>essentially blackmail stores along the work corridor by undercutting them with relief then threatening to take funding away if they complain
>2 years over the deadline and well over budget
>now everyone hates light rail and will probably vehemently rally against any future developments
Very clever LNP.....
>>
>>1282191
it doesn't even look ugly, it looks nice
>>1281915
japan is gay and only basedboys like it
>>
>>1278552
>>1279194
>>1279346
DMU are also more efficient than locomotive, motive power is distributed through the whole vehicle as opposed to one at the front pulling everything, better acceleration and breaking and torque
you sound like an autist insisting on locomotives in spite of the facts
>>
>>1282191
Nobody has an issue with the skyrail
It was manufactured by the Liberal Party and The Herald Sun looking for something to whine about

A legitimate complaint which I don't recall anyone ever expressing is that it makes future multiplication of the line extremely difficult
In fact they should have done that as they built it, having two lines and a regional service and freight on just two tracks makes things pretty difficult during peak times and running expresses very difficult.
>>
>>1282195
>putting lightrail underground
yep its a con
lightrail is just the modern day tram and should be used accordingly
any effort to cowboy it up and make it high-tech or a cheap substitute for trains will not work
>>
File: 1539311124434.jpg (306 KB, 1600x1200)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Some suggestions to improve the Melbourne railway network:

>Better expresses
To do this you would take the three track lines and convert them to two tracks. Where you have a three track station, you would then make that four tracks with passing tracks (no platforms) in the middle, and the two outer tracks for stopping services. This happens a lot in Japan and with decent timetabling, you would not only be able to run a heavy express schedule (vital for the fools out in the far east) but capacity would be increased as well.

>Extra-urban capacity
Sunbury, Melton, Tarneit, Laverton and others will be seeing an explosive growth in the next decade or two. Of course electrification helps, but the 6 car sets running in the loop aren't going to cut it. For the exurbs, you would have express services running in and terminating at Southern Cross like the v/line services they'd replace. As rapid boarding isn't as much of an issue, you would be able to run double deck stock similar to Sydney, and the problems faced the the previous attempt at this would be moot.

>Sation spacing
Just get rid of some of the fucking stations. It's politically distateful of course, but having a station every 400 metres (especially around collingwood and clifton hill) is absolutely ridiculous.

>Improve the loop

2x clockwise, 2x anticlockwise, run services through those tunnels as needed, and with more flexibility. The current situation is a fucking joke

Thank you for listening
>>
>>1282461
apparently the loop will be phased out and they're just going to cross the lines with little metros
>>
>>1282461
Totally agree with you on rationalising the loop (at least take the fucking Frankston line out until MM1 opens) and closing some of the stations.

However, how would you convert a 3 track station to 2 tracks+express tracks, unless you close the entire station and rebuild? You might be able to take out side platforms and use the space for an extra track?

Additionally, you could easily add capacity for the west by utilising existing infrastructure better - 20 minute frequencies doesn't cut it now, even - and in particular for Sunbury once MM1 opens you could actually add that capacity by actually running trains along the whole Pakenham/Cranbourne-Sunbury route and not turning them back at fucking West Footscray.
>>
>>1282571
Ok so you'd have 2 main stages (the hashed-out part of stage 1 is just where you'd probably need to have some kind of temporary construction staging)
Current situation: ( _ is a platform, = is tracks)
_______
======
======
_______
_______
======

>Stage 1
Close the southernmost tracks. No more expresses can run on the line while construction takes place. People will accept it if you sell it to them like the level crossing removal.
Where the southernmost line is, you build a platform. The Southern half of the island platform is now demolished and track built where that used to be.

Now we have:
_______
======
======
_______
======
_______

>Stage 2

Shut the northern half of the island platform and also the middle running tracks. Again, we only have 2 tracks operational, so no expresses.
We now demolish the northern half of the island platform and build tracks where that used to be. We also realign the closed middle tracks for better speed through running and loading gauge tolerance.

Voila, we now have four tracks and two platforms:

______
=====
=====
=====
=====
______
>>
>>1282575
This wouldn't work for every station, but that's fine, as you only need a few stations with passing tracks for the expresses to be able to run entirely unhindered.
>>
>>1282333
oh sorry anon i meant an underground metro like in tokyo, as in a fully functioning underground train line with real trains (which is funny that you mention it because the LNP is whining that the orbital rail proposed for melbourne is too expensive and wanted to do underground LRT because it will be """"cheaper"""")
Trams aren't bad in fact they're great for small cities like the gold coast or newcastle where it's too built up to build a metro but there's not enough funding or financial benefit to building an underground rail line
The problem is most cities seem to think that it's the future of public transit when really underground or raised metro's surpass it in almost every way with the exception of looking "hip and trendy"
>>
>>1282575
Interesting. I know that the major earthworks from Hawthorn-Camberwell have provision for a fourth track dating from when Box Hill quadding was still on the cards, but I think that would be a good place to start. You could have Alamein trains run slows between Camberwell and Burnley and Belgrave/Lilydale run express, much like Dandenong trains through the MATHS stations. During construction there would probably have to be pretty heavy speed restrictions in place for having work done so close to running tracks but I guess it wouldn't be any worse than a full shutdown.

>>1282917
It's amazing that we have Australian companies that a fully competent in building trams (*cough* Melbourne *cough*) yet the NSW government went with a Spanish company halfway around the world.
>>
File: 1492782651375.gif (1002 KB, 250x251)
1002 KB
1002 KB GIF
>>1278243
lol last time I used Auckland's trains was to travel between avondale and new market
>arrive early - train is an hour late
>arrive on time - train was 1 hour early
>arrive late - train is on time
>>
>sydney has the north south metro, CBD paramatta metro and northwest metro
>melbourne has melbourne metro, airport line and orbital rail
>perth has metronet
>adelaide has the underground CBD loop (in long term) and tram corridor redevelopment
>Gold coast has the G:Link stage 3A and future long term extension projects
>Newcastle has the proposed mcdonald jones stadium and john hunter hospital extension
>and finally
>the third biggest city in Australia
>Brisbane
>has a single 5.9km underground tunnel with only two new stops that has been in development for almost a decade now and won't be finished til 2024 at earliest
>and maybe a busway extension out to carindale
What did we do to deserve this Queensland-bros?
>>
>>1282917
>proposed Melbourne orbital
Is that the insane outer suburb thing that makes no sense whatsoever?
>>
>>1282999
yeah it is, what makes it insane?
>>
>>1283000
Too far out, too twisty, too underground, and doesn't take advantage of preexisting track and former corridors. I'm on phone right now so I can't draw you a picture, but joining up the Alamein line, the old inner and outer circle corridors, the racecourse branch, and the Williamstown branch would make a million times more sense and be a lot cheaper.
>>
>>1283006
Yeah I'm not too experienced in melbourne's train network since I've never been there myself so I don't know the viability of this project, I just found the response of "why can't we just do underground light rail instead? It'll be cheaper!" to be a predictable LNP statement to make
>>
>>1282997
went to brisbane recently, it's cool to see BRT here but yeah if you're going to get to 3 million people soon that won't cut it
>>
>>1283029
it's pretty worrying that neither of the state governments have proposed a long term plan for a rail network considering how they're bragging about how in 25 years time we're going to be the same size as sydney and melbourne are currently. All we have is the redcliffe line (which doesn't even go into redcliffe it just stops at sandgate) completed in 2016, the CRR which has been squabbled over since 2011 and earlier and MAYBE a link between Springfield and Ipswich (because that's what brisbane needs, not better inner city interconnectedness but more sprawling suburbs in the middle of nowhere)
What I really want to see is an underground subway that links all the different sides of the river so I don't have to spend 5 years on a ferry to get anywhere
Ideal route:
Toowong (interchange with heavy rail) > St Lucia > UQ > West end > Southbank > CBD > Kangaroo point > Newfarm > Teneriffe > Bulimba > Hamilton > Eagle junction (interchange).
It's not even that long a distance so I think it'd be doable but Australia sucks so I can't see it happening until 10 years after we ACTUALLY need it
>>
File: Metro.gif (396 KB, 875x648)
396 KB
396 KB GIF
>>1283491
Here's a shitty drawing i did. As much as i'd like a train line that goes Toowong > UQ > west end it would be super inefficient and waste a lot of money so i made some alternative routes which would be more appropriate. For some reason in this day and age state governments have an alergic reaction to building stations in medium density areas of population so the green ones can be taken or left even though it would be nice if they'd stay.
Feel free to shit on it and maybe even leave a critique xoxo <3
>>
File: DSC_5726.jpg (3.38 MB, 3008x2000)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>
File: DSC_5695.jpg (3.22 MB, 3008x2000)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>
File: DSC_6710.jpg (2.58 MB, 3008x2000)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
>>
File: DSC_6716.jpg (2.54 MB, 3008x2000)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>
>>1283508
All those river crossings. I’d never be able to afford it in Mini Metro.
>>
>>1283534
>>1283537
>>1283538
>>1283540
NZ trains are cool
>>
>>1283560
because of the shape of the Brisbane river commuting between the north and south is a fuck
there's 5 bridges connecting the north and south bank of the inner city area and only two of them are designed for large flows of traffic (trying to get onto the M3 around 4pm is a fucking nightmare)
It's only going to get worse as time goes on and what's not going to help is influxes of people moving into the inner city who need to commute between the north and south side of the river seeing that there's only one bridge for trains and one bridge for buses forcing more people onto the roads. The government will probably just build more road bridges which will temporarily alleviate the problem but we'll never get a real solution
>>
>>1283534
Originally from Perth, moved to Auckland then had a facelift
>>
>>1283582
I was gonna say, it looks facelifted but it's a horrible job of a facelift at that
>>
>>1283491
It'd be cool to see a mini metro type thing in brisbane with density. I know that SE QLD sprawls out a lot, and I have no idea what the transport situation out in the suburbs is like.
I'm from melbs so I like the orbital rail, I think it's one of the few forward thinking things I've seen from the country so I hope they really do establish major centres at those outer suburbs like doncaster, cheltenham etc so it's viable.
>>
>>1282970
The Gov should be required to prove that an Australian company is unable to complete the contract before getting a foreign country involved.

Fucking QLD Gov got trains made in India that arrived FUBAR and so the companies that should have got the contracts to build now have to fix them. Work till 2026, good for the town but it should have been more.
>>
>>1284138
Yeah but when you read the report, Bombardier totally fulfilled all of their contractual obligations perfectly, they were blameless.

The reason why they were fucked was successive Queensland government flinging shit at each other and QR /other contractors getting salty with each other and refusing to co-operate in specification.

Classic retarded auspol shit
>>
>>1284023
honestly i wouldn't even mind if it was BRT like the busways they currently use. Brisbane is a nice enough place but there's basically no convenient way to get from any of these places to the other without a car and even with a car it's still a pain in the ass in some spots
I'd hate to be living here in 20 years time if they haven't developed a decent public transport corridor for any of these besides jerking themselves off over some pedestrian bridge traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare.
>>
File: 49cr.jpg (16 KB, 240x193)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1282970
>alamein to Camberwell shuttle
Don't you dare
>>
File: toorak rd level crossing.jpg (513 KB, 2048x1152)
513 KB
513 KB JPG
Comrade Dandrews has done it again!

We going skyrail straight over Toorak rd, boys

Let's see how the Libs manage to manufacture outrage over their precious $3m houses this time

LRXA should really remove Glenferrie and Tooronga roads at the same time, but hopefully they'll extend the scope of construction work to include them after a bit of the ol' "community consultation" routine
>>
>>1284138
Tell that to the dirty shits Gladys and Co. in NSW. Stadler offered to build the New Intercity Fleet locally and the government straight up said no and went with someone else.
>>
>>1285041
beautiful
>>
File: Exterior_08_0000_ALTA.jpg (85 KB, 780x439)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
CAF awarded NSW intercity train fleet renewal contract

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/regional-rail

Personally I feel the design could be better but I'm glad they didn't go for the Downer (or was it EDI I can't remember)/CRRC partnership. Retards will be yelling 'muh australian made' but pretty much everything is made in China and then shipped here for assembly. It's what happens with the Waratah trains as well as the HCMTs in Melbourne.
>>
>>1285371
I heard these may well be tilting as well - that would be a game changer in rural NSW
>>
>>1285041
based
>>
File: waratah_2006.png (660 KB, 991x729)
660 KB
660 KB PNG
>>1285371
I wouldn't worry too much about the design at this point, renders like these are usually rushed so they can make the tender bid on time. I mean, this is how the Waratah looked when it was first proposed in 2006. Hopefully they'll refine it more and make it look sleek.

Whether these trains are built locally or not, it'll be refreshing to see a design that looks unique and runs better on our network, as opposed to the XPT which is basically a cloned InterCity 125 from Britain.
>>
>>1285525
I want to believe, Anon, I really do - but in my experience the concepts always look good and the final product looks far more pedestrian.
>>
File: IMG_20190213_174140_033.jpg (2.77 MB, 3120x3120)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
Who /4000class/ here?
>>
>>1285752
Why did Bombardier insist on fluted sides for a brand new train?
>>
File: Three-car-VLocity-VL38.jpg (126 KB, 1024x676)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1285755
Must be a Bombardier thing considering they were built at the same plant

>inb4 corrugated steel anon
>>
File: newcastle light rail.jpg (39 KB, 598x351)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
hey so that newcastle light rail is a bit trash isn't it
>>
>>1285877
Why do we need to compromise for no wires when you can power it from below?

I looked this up and they are running trams like that in places.
>>
>>1285930
It was probably some slick talking businessman selling gadgetbahn bullshit to the sub 75iq government who thought any of this was a good idea. I remember someone saying the reason they couldn’t use overhead wires was because “the sea water would corrode it” even though they had an electrified heavy rail line running even closer to the ocean. It was either that or some NIMBY fag who thinks overhead wires look ugly
>>
File: 1476542955463.jpg (102 KB, 1024x518)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1277496
Does your countree have one of these?
>>
>>1285976
I'm just hoping that there's been a misunderstanding and it's actually a two minute wait at the terminal ends, rather than at every stop.

Christ that'd be useless
>>
>>1286368
has to be, I'm pretty sure other systems like this just run as normal. think people that are opposed to it always try to make shit up to get people scared
>>
>>1285930
The same bullshit reason they went for a proprietary power supply in the Sydney CBD: guaranteed income for the supplier because you're locked into the technology for the life of the system.

>>1286368
The timetable does indeed have 2 minutes between stops but that doesn't suggest they'll be for charging, rather that the tram itself is shit slow with an average speed of around 13 km/h and you could probably jog faster than it.
>>
>>1286471
>13km/h

What the fuck is the point then
>>
>>1286532
literally nothing
they tore up the old heavy rail line to sell of the harbourside land to property developers then implemented this joke of a solution to make up for it
the only good that MIGHT come from it is if they expand upon it and build a decent tram network [spoiler]they won't[/spoiler]
>>
>>1286532
Maybe so it takes you 30 minutes to get to work instead of 1,5 hours on foot?
>>
File: hsr.jpg (61 KB, 700x467)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
bump
>>
>>1287354
>RABe 501 in V/Line livery
>>
How the fuck do we improve SEQ's public transport, the entire region is just an abomination of suburban sprawl. It's probably the closest region in Australia to a mid western American city. Every time I drive down the M1 and see all those 50 foot high fast food signs it makes me feel physically ill.
>>
>>1282330
>motive power is distributed through the whole vehicle as opposed to one at the front pulling everything
This doesn't matter for long distance services
>better acceleration
neither does this
>and breaking
nor this
>torque
not true

>>1279194
Buy better locos?
>>
File: All the Tims 2.jpg (388 KB, 2048x1006)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>1278800
>>
>>1287419
Unclusterfuck the BCC bus routing. You have the busway section that gets a bus every 10 seconds, then the trunks every 2 minutes, and then beyond that, it drops off a cliff to every 30 minutes or hour which fucking sucks. So maybe consolidate the bus routes into slightly more snaky, less direct but high frequency 5-15 minutes so you don't get cooked waiting for one.
Actually give money for bus operations outside of BCC too thank you very much. It's fucking depressing how the bus service drops off a cliff once you leave the BUZ.

Trains are a bit better but maybe think of redoing crewing. Split trains to 3 cars for higher off peak frequency and think of going guardless and turning them into drivers because the QR guards seem to do very little compared to CityRail.

It is hard because the roads really are good and almost always unclogged outside of Ipswich and Milton rd so yeah, gotta make the PT attractive and hope for the best.

>>1287432
Given the nature of existing services stopping at every station with the shit tracks and speed limits that go from 160 to 40 in the space of a few hundred metres, it probably does matter.
>>
>>1285877
>>1285930
>>1285976
why do shitty local politicians always try to reinvent the fucking tram
>>
>>1287435
>Given the nature of existing services stopping at every station with the shit tracks and speed limits that go from 160 to 40 in the space of a few hundred metres, it probably does matter.
That doesn't exactly sound like a long distance service.
>>
File: 1496120299035.jpg (57 KB, 729x410)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1287437
It does run to Brisbane/Dubbo/Melbourne/wherever. It's just that it stops at pretty much every station along the way. If you're lucky you'll average 70 km/h as per timetable.

>>1287436
Could always be worse like the "Brisbane Metro" the council presumably dreamt up between rounds of cocaine that's just a bus, so you get to ride the Busway except a 1 seat journey is now a 2 seat.
>>
>>1287436
Shiny technology used to try and curry favour with the brain dead masses
>>1287501
I fucking hate that so much words cannot describe my anger
>it’ll be an automated and self driving!
>why? Who gives a fuck why, shut the fuck up and look at the shiny new bendy busses
>wait no automated tracks are too expensive now it’s just regular bendy busses
>also it isn’t a metro we’re just running these new busses on the existing 66 and 111 routes
>but we’re building a tunnel for all these busses to avoid traffic going onto the busway so now the bottleneck will be moved to the Myer centre instead of the cultural center, hoooraaaaaaay!!!
Graham quirk can go fuck himself I hope he gets raped by a million AIDS patients
>>
>>1285930
>>1285976
>>1286368
>>1286467
>>1286471
>https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5915666/tram-breaks-down-near-newcastle-beach-stop-will-possibly-be-towed-to-depot/
Less than a week in service and it's broken already. Pantograph for charging got stuck, and even worse the article confirms that it will have to charge at every stop. On the bright side, it appears it will only have to stop for closer to one minute a charge instead of two.

>>1286567
It's only 3km long so there aren't very many people who would use the new tram in the first place. It replaced a perfectly good train line so now instead of having a 1 seat commute to the CBD, people have to change.

>>1287437
Really, V/Line is stuck in an awkward position of having to cater for both outer suburban and regional passengers. Geelong line with Tarneit/Wyndham Vale, Ballarat line with Melton/Deer Park pax etc. Additionally, without quadding the lines to the north and south east non-stop V/Line trains will be stuck behind Metro stoppers to Craigeburn and Pakenham. Until suburban electrification is extended "long distance" trains have to share the downsides of short distance ones.

>http://www.southwestvoice.com.au/mayor-welcomes-20-minute-airport-ride-on-trackless-trams/
In other news, I'm not astonished to find out they are seriously considering another "trackless tram" instead of doing things right the first time and having a proper transit corridor to connect Badgerys Creek airport to Liverpool. Luckily there are plans for heavy rail into Sydney, right?
>>
>>1288356
blunder of the century.jpg
>>
File: brick layer.jpg (81 KB, 645x671)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1288356
>even worse the article confirms that it will have to charge at every stop
Fucking hell
>>
>>1288356
>Really, V/Line is stuck in an awkward position of having to cater for both outer suburban and regional passengers.
Ah, I see. DMU's still aren't the solution, separating the 2 with separate services are.
>>
>>1277496
NZball so cute
>>
File: 153 fitzroy.jpg (309 KB, 1800x1181)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>1277496
Victack are a bunch of dribbling retards who are slowly trying to erase the history of rail transport in Victoria and they are doing it with aboslutely no remourse. Few days ago they signed the effective agreement to rip out the South Gippsland Railway, which could have been a valuable asset, but no 'muh bike tracks' that no one will fucking use
>>
>>1283009
they also cant afford it.
>>
File: e_class_tram.jpg (145 KB, 700x467)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
trams in melbourne to finally get priority

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/new-technology-to-give-trams-priority-at-traffic-lights-20190225-p51013.html
>>
>>1290303
Really, trams should get traffic light priority at all times and not just when they're running late. This is a good start to speeding up the overall network nevertheless. Though, I have to point out the stretch of the 75 they are rolling this out on is already largely separated from general traffic and runs in the median, but I guess it could make sense by working on the technology first and foremost in as controlled an environment as possible without the unpredictability of dumbfuck drivers.
>>
>>1290312
It's a good step to utilise what we already have and make it better. I knew they would use a largely separated route to test it out on as well, and there's news that they could use the same technology for buses (I'm assuming mostly for the smartbus fleet).
>>
Shit thread why is noone talking about FREIGHTS.
>>
>>1291002
freight is gay and boring
>>
>>1290303
>""""""""new""""""" technology
>technology to prioritize tram has been used in switzerland since the 1970s
>le trial to see if it doesn't disturb the holy automobiles
dohoho
>>
>>1285371
Wouldn't be surprised if these end up being a modified from a UK design at the moment.

A DMU version of the UK Class 397. Might even be a 331/195 evolution.
>>
>>1290321
The T-Way in Sydney had traffic light priority since the early 2000s and then they tossed it in the bin without explanation. Later on they also flogged it off to Transit Systems and ripped out the real time information displays (as one does).
>>
>>1290321
I remember I was in Nara japan a few months ago and some of the bus stops had real time GPS display showing how far away the bus was. It'd be cool if we could do that for our bus fleet so i don't know if the bus was a minute early and i missed it or if it's going to be 10 minutes late
>>
>>1291347
I think some smartbuses already do this, but I don't use them I just know from when I worked at the ptv call centre and idk if that info is available to users
>>1291078
lol wtf
the T-way is the bus yes? did it run into financial problems?
>>
>>1291467
It's the bus system yeah. Seemed fine and was really just another STA route, just the grange sculling o'farrell government was looking for things to give to its mates.

>>1291347
Sydney does it through PTIPS and Brisbane has whatever it has for real time. I think Melbourne they just have to make it public.
>>
i just want to be able to ride on the road with no bully
>>
>>1291467
>>1291677
okay but in nara you just stood outside the bus stop and they literally showed you where the bus was on the road in real time on a TV although i think it was only at select stops
>>
>>1291727
Same deal here just it's on your phone. If they wanted it at the bus stop, all they'd need to do is put a screen with a $20 phone and an app running.
>>
File: sydney metro.jpg (34 KB, 620x350)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>tunnels so small that there's no walkway either side of the train to exit in an emergency
>instead all passengers will have to exit the train via the front and rear windows of the train
>tunnels so small that due to safety reasons they probably won't be able to run the trains at 100kph like they promised
Is there anything more JUST in rail infrastructure than the sydney metro honestly?

Also i'm still confused about stage 2 of the metro, are they just going to tear up the existing line that runs from the CBD to punchbowl station? Man the liberals are fucking scumbags, make sure to vote labor this federal election
>>
>>1294422
They will scorch the earth if it means getting back at the RTBU. The tunnels are 500 mm diameter smaller than the existing Eppy to Chatty. Once you account for all the other shit, you're probably looking at a clearance compliance deficit of maybe 130 mm on the corners (probably close to but not quite 50 mm in practical terms). It's rumoured that the slightly larger TBMs were offered at the same price but the government decided against such a decision.

For the next stages, it'll be a dedicated line to the Central under the harbour with, bizarrely, unusually large distances between stops unbefitting of a metro system. If anything, more like an interurban. Then more tunnel until it surfaces at Sydenham and then continuing to the soon to be redeveloped up Bankstown line. St Peters and Erskineville go to the East Hills and/or Illawarra.
>>
>>1294453
Literally the only reason i can think of why they'd be doing this is to remove train drivers from the equation
Anyway can't wait for the train to break down and kill dozens of passengers in a few years and for no one to ever take it again making it the biggest boondoggle in australian public transport history
If we're lucky maybe we'll see stage 2 cancelled and restructured under a sensible plan
also
>researching stage 2
>"the land used for waterloo station will be taken from existing public housing which will be razed and replaced with new medium density apartments"
lel of course it makes sense they'd choose waterloo, why make a station at a place people actually need it *cough cough*USYD*cough**cough* when we could use it as an excuse to tear down public housing and sell it to chinese construction companies to build yet more high rises on am i right?
>>
File: Capture.png (1.04 MB, 1276x673)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>1294422
>Decently sized walkway on one side for emergencies
>Testing up to 100 km/h in the tunnel.

BTFO in one picture.
>>
>>1294492
whoops, misread the article
>In the six-kilometre-long tunnel between Epping and Cherrybrook stations, no trackside ground level UK-type counterflow walkways exist for emergency and rescue workers. That would have enabled the carriage doors on both train sides to open for direct trackside/walkway passenger escape.
Can't seem to find any other article beyond the original backing up this source but it doesn't sound like something that would surprise me really. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for the tunnel to open to see if it works or
>testing up to 100kph
yeah that's the keyword "testing". It'll be interesting to see if when they actually start running they travel at 100kph

Either way the sydney metro is a distaster simply because it's just a stripped down version of the original greater sydney metropolitan rail plan
>>
>>1294422
I'm not from sydney so I thought this thing was going to be amazing. :(
>>
>>1294876
Never trust any public transport infrastructure proposed by the LNP they will ruin it
>>
File: new map.jpg (243 KB, 2047x1158)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>1294422
I want to ask some questions here, from my vantage point in Australia's superior city it all seems horribly unfocused.

• What are the frequencies on Sydney Metro? Is really "metro" and not just fast single decker trains?
• How much of the city circle's capacity is used? Is there any way to add capacity other than replace T3 with metro?
• How needed is more fast capacity to the west for Parramatta metro? From what I can see the aim is a 20 minute trip but it's already timetabled for 25min - I can't see the extra 5 minutes being so important.

As a side note I'm glad the red Northern line is going to be coming back and they're breaking up the horrid yellow octopus that is T1.
>>
File: c16424_0204_c.jpg (1.82 MB, 3500x1702)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>1294918
The City Circle is absolutely at capacity and was never designed to run as it currently is. The best thing to do is to isolate as many lines from it, and build additional stations in the CBD. When John Bradfield designed the City Circle in the 1910s, it was meant to be complemented with an additional loop and lines to ease congestion. They were never built due to the great depression and WWII, and the suburban sprawl/auto-mobile obsession afterwards finally made sure of it.

This is why St James and Wynyard stations have abandoned tunnels and platforms, and why the Sydney Harbour Bridge used to carry four railway tracks instead of two.
>>
>>1294878
yeah, they privatised our whole network the fuckers
>>
In lieu of the Boeing 737 max controversy it seems that Virgin Australia is the only operator here that uses this model, not sure about NZ. Just something to think about.
>>
>>1295684
VA doesn't have any delivered yet and NZ doesn't have any 737s left.

As far as I can tell VA will be the only carrier to use the MAX in Aus/NZ, everybody else is currently using or will eventually move to the A320neo.
>>
>>1295686
I flew with Virgin recently, in a 737-800 and it was a comfortable enough flight but yeah I'm just worried about the max-8s. I like Virgin, definitely my favourite carrier
>>
>>1295188
>This is why St James and Wynyard stations have abandoned tunnels and platforms, and why the Sydney Harbour Bridge used to carry four railway tracks instead of two.
No, that was the "trams" on the bridge that were meant to become the Northern beaches line and run through St James and Museum.
>>
>>1295778
Yeah, if you really want to get specific, they were tram tracks. But the intention was for them to form the Northern Beaches and Southern Suburbs line via Pitt Street station (not St James Station - that's where the Western and Eastern Suburbs lines were going to converge).
>>
File: proposal.png (267 KB, 2302x1354)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>1294876
>>1294918
Metro has a place, but the implementation of the North West Rail Link as it stands is complete fuckballs idiocy. The whole point of a metro is high stop density and lots of in-out traffic at each stop. It's supposed to be slower than suburban, but here they are trying to trim costs from the corners by building the minimum number of stations and attempting to keep the speed up. It also would've made more sense and been less disruptive to build another set of platforms at Epping with the line instead going via Drummoyne to cover dead space.
The same stupid shit is happening with Metro West.

Metro operating frequency is a 6 car train every 4 minutes in peak hour, but the system should be 8 car, 2 minute capable vs the existing system which uses glorified traffic lights and runs 8 cars every 3 minutes, with room for 2 minute 40 second frequency. You can (just barely) push 2 minutes on it, but not reliably. ETCS is coming which should make it possible to achieve more reliably a la RER A though (still clouds in the air).
City Circle is full.
As for the Metro West thing? Vanity project in its current form because it has the same problems as above.
Would make more sense to turn the all stopper into metro, then shift South Line services over to speed those up without losing stations to stop at and the straggler western line runs that stop at more stations.
Then the Main Suburban Main (the one Intercity likes) from Stratty can be used exclusively for Northern line.
Finally, the tunnel for what was going to be the metro can be used for express runs.
Dodgy morning MS Paint job.
In doing so, you retain travel time benefits, cost difference is minimal, and the main/suburban can still retain emergency crossovers for fallback if things go awry in a track pair.
>>
>>1295684
Qantas has a quite a few 737's
>>
>>1296155
Not the specific model that crashed down in Ethiopia.
>>
>>1296341
MAXX BLACK
>>
>>1296000
Why not just fully convert T2 into Metro (like what they're going to do to the Bankstown line) and link that up to the North West Metro. You free up a City Circle slot and get rapid service through the densely packed Inner West, with more appropriate station separation for a Metro.
>>
Loserfruit is from australia <3
>>
https://www.9news.com.au/2019/03/12/19/22/ethiopian-airlines-plane-crash-boeing-737-max-suspended-australia
>>
>ridiculous amount of roadworks on my usual bike commute
>either have to go on THE most dangerous road in the state or drive to work
>once the roadwork is finished in about 2 years there'll be a brand new dedicated bike path... on the road coming from the OTHER direction from where I live. I'll have the pleasure of a shared bike and pedestrian path
>>
>>1277496
I thought Kiwis said “fush und chups”
>>
>>1296464
are you the adelaide anon that bikes?
>>
>>1296000
sounds like a much better plan which means the LNP will never consider such a thing

But the tunnels would never be able to converted to full (double decker) heavy rail because they're too small, right? Seems to me like the Libs being petty and shortsighted in order to be able to brag about M E T R O
>>
https://www.baka.com.au/national/nsw/cyclists-forced-to-move-aside-for-new-motorway-to-sydney-airport-20190213-p50xja.html

NSW how hard is it for you to get something done without fucking everything up?
>>
>>1297044
can't quote the sydney morning herald without baka but ok
>>
>>1297044
baka.com always makes me chuckle
for real though hiroshimoot needs to fuck this filter off already
>>
>>1296352
If you convert the system south of Granville, you have to lose the Cumbo or make a dead fork with the Y-Link and you lose the loop and redundancy in the network. When there's trackwork on East Hills, they run XPT/XPL and Endeavour on the South Line and in the other case, they can divert things to East Hills out of the city if it goes awry. The Sector 2 works as its own little system, but chopping the local tracks instead would prevent disruption.
>>
>>1297044
>cyclists-forced-to-move-aside-for-new-motorway-to-sydney-airport-20190213-p50xja.html
>>1297049
>>1297070
ALL PRAISE SAINT FI

SAINT FI
WHO WORKETH IN CoS
YOUR PLAN BE DONE
YOUR ROUTES BE COME
ON EARTH AS IN PLANNING DOCUMENTS
GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BOURKE
AND FORGIVE US OUR REDLIGHTS
AS WE DO NOT FORGIVE THE LIBNATS
LEAD US NOT INTO THE AIRPORT OR CROSS CITY TUNNELS
BUT DELIVER US FROM DOORZONES
>>
>>1296476
as far as I know the major adelaide bike upgrades coming with the northern connector "should" be done by the end of the year

unless there's something else, not sure how long the darlington interchange needs.
>>
File: 1540093085752.jpg (25 KB, 641x530)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1277847
museum station is full of poofters
>>
File: sniff off central.png (672 KB, 513x686)
672 KB
672 KB PNG
>>1297111
what do you think about the pigs strip searching for drugs at central?
>>
>>1277719
some tunnel or some shit being built
>>
>>1297118
What the FUCK man
>>
>>1297118
if real, its fucked. Give me a country with America's gun laws, even as they are, but spare me this.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>trains trains trains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8ZNqaG-dE
>>
>>1297028
not only that but the tunnels are too steep for the existing double decker fleet to run on
The LNP went above and beyond to ensure that this system would never be able to be compatible with the existing system. "Automation" allows them to remove the rail union from the equation
>>
File: 1498503793340s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>1297118
>Calling police pigs
>>
>>1298005
unironically NSW and QLD police are why every cop gets called a pig

>drug dogs
>strip searches
>extorting music festivals and shutting them down
>no such thing as white collar crime
>systematic racism and corruption
>>
what's the best way to get involved in promoting public transport in my area?
Brisbane is notorious for it's horid public transport and reliance on busses, are there any local council groups of clubs I can join to work toward improvment
>>1298243
QLD police are more concerned about catching people speeding for fine money then they are actually preventing crime
>>
>>1297118

all you have to do is not be a drug fucked loser and you'll be fine.

same cunts who are up in arms about this hate mandatory drug testing to get their benefits because they know they'll fail the test

how hard is it to just not be a fucking retard and be a net contributor to australian society

>runs on tracks, is train
>>
File: 1552125902594.gif (754 KB, 607x609)
754 KB
754 KB GIF
>>1297118
they've done that for years
so glad i've moved away from their, i spent the last 15 years in that city; it's going downhill fast
>>
File: tupnqttg2jj21.jpg (111 KB, 1200x800)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1298005
I gotta agree.
Pigs are on some level cute, friendly, surprisingly intelligent, and useful animals.
>>
>>1297897
I have a feeling that's a convenient cop out to further make it difficult on the engineering side. Older trains sure, Tangaras are happy to overheat on the Chatswood to Epping. But part of Waratah specifications is they can run the most demanding parts of the network fully crush loaded with half of the traction motors failed without overheating, and also do the same with 75% motor availability without falling behind timetable.

>>1298243
That's how mafia works.
>>
>>1298348
based post
literally don't do drugs and they'll stop going there
>>
>>1298383
back to NUMTOT with you faggot
>>
>>1298348
>>1298430
"i literally cannot stop licking boots"
>>
>>1298348
>dude who cares about the spectacularly high false positive rate of sniffer dogs, anal play is great!
Kick the fucking chair out
>>
>>1277496
kiwiball is so kawaii~~ :3
>>
>>1298638

citation needed
>>
>>1298651
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sniffer+dog+false+positive+rate
>>
>>1298324
Join the greens or labor left. Join your fucken Union.
>>
>>1298348
>dude why do you mind getting your privacy invaded unless you committed a crime?
based retard
>>
File: pink wojak.png (297 KB, 960x960)
297 KB
297 KB PNG
>berejiklian government announces 4 new metros
>suddenly everyone loves the LNP again
>"labor cancelled all their rail expansions when they were in power, THEY'RE the ones who are anti public transport!"
>"why are they cancelling the bankstown metro extension! We need to upgrade our trains to be metros!!!!"
I don't even care anymore, if the people of NSW vote liberals in power again it will be their own fault for whatever horrible half assed train abortion that is the existing sydney metro they can have it. Wow a couple of troglodytes with some shiny new trains and jerk off about "high capacity" you probably won't even deliver and you'll have them drooling all over you.
>>
>>1298748
I mind my privacy being invaded but if someone with a dog asks me to strip in public and finger my anus I’m down to fuck. Pigs need to stop trying to force finger my anus.
>>
>>1298348
It's not so much about the drugs but the invasion of privacy and the treatment of literal lower classes.

Why are drug dogs only deployed outside music festivals and not at the horse races?

Why should poor people on welfare be tested but not pensioners or politicians? They all receive money from the government and by extension the Australian taxpayer, so shouldn't they be treated similarly? Tony Abbott was was often too drunk to show up to parliament.

Why should some people be treated better because they have more money? It's not a coincidence that those rich and old people always vote LNP, who are the ones that put these laws in place.
>>
>>1298792
Yeah love to see sniffer dogs at fashion week or the arias....
>>
>>1298759
one good thing about the vic government is that they've actually delivered every promise in regards to infrastructure so far
>>
File: le godlen man.jpg (359 KB, 800x800)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>3 days till New South Cucksmen vote liberal in so they can turn all their roads into toll roads and privatize the rail lines so a trip from central to museum station costs $5
oh boy I am a laffin'
>>
last page bump

federal LNP is busy project barreling again with yet another Melbourne-Geelong HSR proposal, now with average speeds of 160km/h
>>
>NSW are actually going to vote the libs in for another 3 years
Holy shit you can't make this up what the fuck is wrong with NSW?
>>
REST IN PEACE NSW
ENJOY YOUR MEME RAILROAD
ENJOY PACKING INTO TRAINS RUN BY A PRIVATE COMPANY THAT WILL DEFINITELY NOT RUN AT 100KM/H AND WILL NOT HAVE FREQUENCY OF 1 TRAIN EVERY 4 MINUTES
>>
big F for all you upside down faggots that got b&% from 4chan
>>
>>1302365
jokes on you, my isp isn't shit
>>
Time for a bit of a transport ticket discussion I think.

Here in Melbourne you can now use mobile Myki on Android devices with NFC, but there are still some issues to be worked out. Over in Sydney the reelected LNP (ugh) is planning to introduce a $50 weekly cap on Opal, and as far as I can tell Wellington is still stuffing around with integrating buses and trains under a single system. When I was there last I could use a Snapper card for buses but had to get a paper ticket for trains, which was truly an odd juxtaposition of technology.
>>
>>1298005
how does boot polish taste, anon?
>>
>>1305505
I gotta say as shit as the public transport is in brisbane i love the go card system
>get on bus into the city for $1.30 (gotta love being a uni student)
>travel pretty much anywhere i need to go free for the next 2 hours
I was shocked when i went and visited my mate in sydney and i managed to rack up $7 in fees over the course of probably 3 trips. I know opal is supposed to be charged per distance traveled but i honestly could not tell how much i was going to be charged each time i tapped off.
Haven't tried Melbourne or Adelaide's yet but i'll hopefully be going there some time this year and being the autist i am i will give a thorough review of their ticketing systems
>>
File: mykis reddit.jpg (82 KB, 960x540)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1305592
Not sure how Brisbane works but for Myki there are two main zones that cover the majority of the Melburnian suburban area. Fares are cheaper if you stay in zone 2, otherwise you pay a higher zone 1+2 fare. It massively benefits long range commuters though, as a train trip 1km from Flinders St to Richmond is the same cost as a 40km trip from Frankston to the city. Conversely, if you stay on the train through the city and out to the other side back into zone 2, say 100km from Pakenham to Sunbury, you pay less. Also, there's a daily cap at $6.40, and time-based "passes" which are weekly, monthly and yearly.

It's rather inflexible, especially if you live just outside the zone boundary, and it cost millions of dollars more than it should have to implement, based on a entirely new system unlike existing smartcards such as Octopus or Oyster. I miss the original colour of the bright green Mykis though, the new dark design looks too "same-ey" like Opal, I reckon.
>>
>>1307096
It's sort of the same in brisbane with the zone system. Technically we have 8 zones but you really only hit zone 4 and higher once you REALLY get out of brisbane, for the most part we have the same thing where there's 3 zones for the inner metropolitan area.
If I travel from zone 3 to zone 1 i can travel between zone 1, 2 and 3 for free for up to three and a half hours for up to three trips as long as the time between trips taken isn't over an hour.
After 8 trips on the system every trip after that is half price too for the rest of the week
I like the GO card, it's got some nice colors to it although i despise how you have to still pay money for them unlike melbourne or sydney where you get em for free and you just have to pay to load them up
I wish Translink would update the scanners on the busses though, the ugly original game boy green screens are hard to read sometimes
>>
>>1299069
True, but rural vic has had not nearly the same amount of attention, the vic government is entirely citycentric
>spend big bucks in east gippslan
d improving roads
>run out of funding to resurface them
>>
File: disruptions.png (289 KB, 957x967)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
Don't you love it when decades of deferred maintenance is being done all at once in a few years? Can't wait for it to pay off once HCMTs and the Metro Tunnel come into service... eventually...
>>
File: train line.png (130 KB, 1024x1005)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
Going back to what an anon said earlier in the thread, have the outer inter-suburban rail lines on the east side of the city? If not why can't they just y'know, reopen those lines again instead of spending billions on an underground rail

>>1308236
I honestly don't understand why they need to cut off the entire line, why can't they just cut off services up to a certain point within reason then have a busses feed people into the city?
A literal month without train services is a fucking joke
>>
File: disruptions.png (131 KB, 869x607)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>1308314
Well they don't actually cut off the whole line, the work *is* being done in stages just like you suggest. It's bits and pieces disruptions over a month, not an entire month without any train service thankfully. The diagram is just a tad confusing to interpret, that's all.

Also they can't just reopen all of those closed lines, while a lot of the right of way is now parkland parts of it have been sold off or reused like the Chandler Highway bridge. The SRL will also help connect trip generators to the rail network, such as Doncaster and Monash, La Trobe and Deakin Unis,
>>
>>1308314
they really need to reopen the inner circle line, travelling between the northern suburbs is really inconvenient with buses. they could even potentially make it underground and keep linear park as is
>>
>>1308314
>>1308572
hell, even an east-west tram line connecting the 86, 11, 96, 1/6, 19 and the 58 along the former inner circle would be better than the bus services currently running
>>
>>1308579
The 1 tram even has a turnout to go east an west along Brunswick Road

Actually where the fuck is my tram investment at?
All this money getting thrown at a pissing mental plan for an outer loop when there's not even any kind of inner loop running (city loop get fucked)
>>
File: adelink.jpg (130 KB, 600x603)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
so i was looking at the labour government's plan to build adelink and it looks pretty interesting but kinda stupid as well
The only route where there's a decently sized median strip is the northwest route and with a median strip that large why not just build a heavy rail line?
The other lines look like they have little to no room for a dedicated right of passage which means that they'd have to either widen the street somehow or the trams would be in the same traffic as cars which makes the whole system redundant.
What are they aiming to do with this plan?
>>
>>1308711
What the fuck is up with that seemingly pointless rail realignment?
>>
>>1308716
The underground line? I assume it's to keep train traffic flowing through the city instead of having to terminate at Adelaide station and then turning the train around to run on a different line
>>
>>1297090
darlington is supposed to be done by mid year
>>
>>1305592
adelaide is the same as you describe, one flat fare for two hours with unlimited transfers in that time
>>
>>1308711
So I had to look on a map because for all I know Adelaide doesn't really exist, but that northwest tram route is currently heavy rail! Why is replacing it with a tram even on the cards when there's a perfectly good rail line already?
>>
>>1310172
Actually, you are right. I glanced at it and assumed it was going down Port Rd, a duplication of the metro but perhaps not a terrible idea to have a tram service Port Adelaide and Semaphore, but what the fuck

>>1308729
The terminus doesn't seem like too much of a bottleneck, train turnaround times seem pretty fast
>>
will we ever get bullet trains?
>>
>>1310229
intercity bullet trains? (newcastle to sydney, gold coast to brisbane etc)
Probably in the next decade but what will happen is labour will announce the project then get voted out mid way or before the project is started, then the LNP will con people into their epic new "cheaper" bullet trains, are 10 times worse, will have major budget blowouts and cost billions of dollars in horrible infrastructure that can't be upgraded. The trains will run at 150kph or slower and the LNP will jerk off about what a good job they did.

East coast bullet train?
Probably not in the next 50 years
>>
>>1310236
Every election cycle they keep making promises of some form of HSR. Sadly, in reality it will never get built by either party, no matter what. It’s just too high an initial cost and too big of a project.
>>
>>1310284
I for one welcome out new Chinese overlord’s infrastructure projects.
>>
>>1310172
>>1310178
It's not perfectly good heavy rail though. The stations are far too close together and the train never gets up to speed, or if it does it has to immediately start braking
>>
>>1310579
there's a bikeway of sorts along that line, on a non-express train I can easily keep pace or sometimes even outpace the train. Which is annoying since if you get to the road crossings (shared with the train) too soon then you gotta wait for the lights to change.
>>
>>1310580
Which is exactly the problem. People are never going to go for removing stations to speed up the trip, so the only real solution would be to replace it with light rail which has much better acceleration and braking which would allow it to get to speed and actually stay there for a while. Added bonus of already having the tracks going to the train station, all you'd need is to plug it in after Bowden
>>
>>1310557
Don't get your hopes up. We'll find some way to fuck it up resulting in huge cost overruns and delays.

That being said I'd still for Glads over Labor.
>>
Anyone know any good books for reading up on the history of railroads in Australia?
>>
Is becoming a pilot a career even remotely worth pursuing in Australia?
>>
>>1311217
with all the chinese tourists coming over and going to melbourne, sydney, uluru and nowhere else? Probably
>>
>>1310229
I would venture that even at current population growth levels or going down to sustainable levels (lol), highspeed rail in any form is simply not feasible due to the extreme distances between any state capitals.
Domestic airspace isn't anywhere near capacity and as flying gets cheaper there is even less short-term incentive to deliver something like hsr
>>
>>1307096
myki's zone system isn't bad, esp. for interchanging-relied transportation, using this to commute between suburb and city always makes life easier for outer suburb residents

but why myki sucks is the shitty sensitivity, overbudgeted shit, and the weird transport system itself isn't really build for outer-suburbs
the overly radical railway system in outer suburbs with a looooong waiting bus network, which makes zone system works bad when traveling between outer suburbs which doesn't have dense transport getting through
while inner suburbs has a sophisticated tram system, traveling between south-east and north-east always takes forever for both trains and buses due to slow journey for bus and curvy route for train
that's why that outer circle like >>1308314 is proposed, it tries to eliminate this issue, but looks like those politicians uses an overkilled heavy rail metro, not a light metro/separated lane tramway
>>
Last page bump, I'll post some content later
>>
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6079333/the-moment-we-grow-up-canberra-light-rail-takes-its-first-passengers/

So the new light rail about to open, I wonder if it will provide a little bit of civilisation to the desolate hellhole that is Canberra. It's been a very long time coming and is a bit sparse compared to Walter Burley Griffin's original plans for trams back in 1912, but hopefully will become a useful public transport network. That is, if people learn how to act around them - while still in the testing phase someone's managed to get hit by one already.
>>
>>1317834
I just spent a month in Canberra, it's pretty depressing that the core plan of Burley Griffin was so nice but it ended up this overly spread out, depopulated shithole. I do hope the light rail makes the city slightly less dead.
>>
File: new intercity.jpg (139 KB, 960x636)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>1285371
>>1285525
The new electric intercity trains for NSW trainlink got spotted in Korea, the ones that are too wide to fit through the blue mountains tunnels. Looks exactly the same as the new Sydney Trains rolling stock.

With both S and V sets on the way out, there won't be much classic corrugated steel around for much longer ):
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QWLFTGueps
The end of an era indeed my friends
>>
>>1321891
woah i like the colour pallette
Whatever happened to those trains anyway? Did they just run them on new lines?
>>
How come Queensland has the best long distance rail travel in the country?
>>
>>1323455
How is long distance QR? Top tier $$$ comfy like the Ghan or Indian Pacific, or decent tier regional trains? A lot of the lines only seem to have 2 services a week so it sounds a lot like the former
>>
>>1323643
They are actual legitimate services, not just cruise trains. I've only ever done the one out to Longreach, the only reason why that only runs twice a week is because there's fuck all people out that way. First class is simply comfy, not Edwardian luxury at a bum puckering price, economy is a coach. There's a handful of economy sleepers that you have to book well ahead of time which are great for the price.
>>
>>1323660
>economy is a coach
By which I mean upright seats like a road coach. Pure cattle class, not recommended (though it must surely be better than that goddamn Bris Mt Isa bus which I'd never take in a million years but each time I saw it it would make me cringe at the thought).
>>
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-05/sydney-metro-driverless-trains-to-open-on-may-26/11081490
>Sydney commuters will get to ride the city's first driverless train when the Northwest Metro line opens to the public on May 26.

IT'S HAPPENING
>>
>>1326322
As much as I think Sydney metro is a stupid plan and certainly has a lot of room for improvement, I have to admit that it's a good first taste of new infrastructure development.

Feels like it was built pretty quickly compared to other projects stuck in construction hell. How many more years is it for the light rail to be finished?
>>
>>1281915
Could be anyone but... Lochie?
>>
>>1283508
Building a line through those areas would be fucked though
>>
>>1326335
I know it's just a fucking pain move between those points without either going about some obtuse roundabout way or interchanging between 2-3 different modes of transport.
>>
>>1326335
Is tunneling under rivers any more expensive than tunneling under normal ground? Without any geotechnical knowledge of the soil conditions (apart from basalt = hard to dig, clay = easy to dig) I don't see why it would be so hard apart from the lack of political will to do it
>>
File: sydney metro.png (237 KB, 1200x900)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
So can someone actually tell me what the fuck the idea of the southwest portion of the Sydney metro is going to achieve?
Are they going to tear up the existing bankstown line then create a cut and cover underground line??
What happens where the bankstown line splits going out toward lidcombe and liverpool? What's going to happen to the T3 line in general?
The purpose of this infrastructure project honestly fucking baffles. The northwest makes sense even if it is a scaled down version of the original project but what is the southwest corridor hoping to achieve beyond the slow, expensive and painful transition to automated trains to shit on the rail union
>>
>>1277496
kiwiball is a cute, A CUTE!
>>
>>1329803
Upgrading the Bankstown line will remove it from the City Circle, which will help reduce congestion on the line. This is a very good thing, because Town Hall and Wynyard stations can get dangerously overcrowded during peak hour, and it's mainly because so many people are waiting on the same platforms that serve three different services. If people waiting for Bankstown trains go to Martin Place or Pitt Street metro stations instead, it should theoretically make the City Circle safer and more efficient.

The line will not be ripped up or buried, it'll look more or less the same as it is now, but the stations might change a bit to support level platforms and screen doors.

No one knows what's going to happen to the line beyond Bankstown, and that's probably my main gripe with the plan because no one seems to know what's going to happen. I guess they could run trains from Liverpool to Bankstown, and then reverse to Lidcombe as a 'new' Bankstown line, but that arrangement seems kind of strange to me. I guess we'll find out eventually.
>>
>>1278139
We have double deckers not for much longer, they're rolling out some retard trains with more standing space and an eighth of the number of seats as current models
>>
Well, Federal election tomorrow. Just remember to put the L/NP last. The Coalition have fucked us enough in the last 6 years, and would gladly go for another round.

It's a shame Bullet Train Australia isn't running this year.
>>
It's over boys
ALP isn't getting this one
No more rail infrastructure unless you live in Sydney
QLD will probably lose the next state election too
>>
Bad luck australians. Looks like the usual low-key race baiting and hatemongering won out again.
>>
Great win for Australia.

Once again fearmongering on climate policy sinks another hopeful labor personality.
>>
>>1333123
the preference deals with one nation and Clive Palmer is probably what stole QLD away from ALP. An honest shame really
>>
>>1333123
It was anything but low-key. Labor ran on policies, the LNP won on fear, outright lies and blaming the Labor party.
>>
>>1330293
>No one knows what's going to happen to the line beyond Bankstown

That's my problem with it too. I usually take the Bankstown line to uni and back because I hate stopping at random stations in the inner west, but now I'll have to stop at every station along the corridor AND change at Bankstown on top of a 30-40 minute bus ride? Fuck off. Just another plan to lazily gentrify a transport corridor for big property bucks rather than an actual transport solution.

If I had it my way, I would run the metro through the airport and East Hills instead. The northern terminus is already far from the city out woop-woop, so the southern terminus might as well be too. In fact, it would be better if the new metro just terminated in Epping or even Carlingford, but I guess "high-tech" driverless trains are the only way to sell transit to cager Hillsongs, pollies, and property investors.

>>1330316
>retard trains
Single-decker trains aren't entirely bad, it's just the way the government is deploying them that's retarded. The faster alighting-boarding touted by the government is supposed to be because metro is intended for shorter trips within a smaller area, not for hour-long commutes. Hence, you ideally wouldn't be standing for long anyway, so more seats wouldn't be necessary. Also, one level with a wide carriage and less seats in the way would make getting off and on easier. But, of course, the government had to cock it up once again.
>>
File: golden man.png (22 KB, 486x391)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>all the cagers foaming at the mouth because Dan Andrews refuses to accept money from the LNP for the east west link
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
GET FUCKED BOOMERS
>>
>>1334091
>1 biLLiON tO nOT bUiLD a rOAd
>informing the LNP government that signed the contracts weeks before the election in the first place
>>
>>1334098
I cannot wait for the boomers and gen-x'ers to die off already so we can make progress on ending cagie culture
The first wave of boomer die offs is beginning, they'll probably all be gone in another decade or two.
>>
>>1334135
The problem is what kinds of damage they can inflict before they die. Both on a political level since they're giving away their fortunes to lobbyists, and on a physical level since no one can take away their cage licence

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.