[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

File: 1479595888039.jpg (234 KB, 900x600)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
Toronto transit thread, light rail/streetcar edition
>>
The only decent-looking post-PCC streetcar design.
>>
>>1276110
How long until CLRVS and ALRVs are kill?
>tfw will never get to see Toronto full of PCC-style trams with trolleypoles
>>
>>1276115
Last I heard 2021 (although I have also seen 2019 as a date as well). Currently Bombardier looks to be on tract to complete their order by the end of the year. However the TTC wants to purchase 100 more Flexity's.
>>
>>1276131
Damn.
>>
File: 124_ Alden_Oct-25-2010.jpg (299 KB, 900x598)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
>>1276111

Too good for the Kawasaki trolleys?
>>
File: toronto.jpg (661 KB, 2048x1365)
661 KB
661 KB JPG
>>1276143
Modern LRV design just doesn't do it for me.
>>
>>1276154
I want to charter a streetcar for a day, it's like 1800 bucks. Think alcohol would be allowed on chartered cars?
>>
File: PCC II.jpg (1.19 MB, 1254x1019)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>1276154
Old Green and Cream PTC colors on Girard ave. Rotue 15 PCC II. Things are active but SEPTA's looking to retire them, after all they were hauled out of the scrap yard and rebuilt and reaching their EOL
>>
>>1276172
>Things are active but SEPTA's looking to retire them
Any sauce on that other than that report a few months ago?
>>
>>1276208
Best I can come up with: https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/15014.pdf.

SEPTA is keeping its cards close about that matter, although they have already tried to shutdown trolley lines in the past and succeeded.

Regarding the report, it was the Kawasaki's that are reaching EOL. The PCC's have a bunch of spare parts in the scrap yards, but the Kawasaki's are turning into the GE Silverliner's with no cheap spare parts
>>
why must commuting into york region suck by bus and car insurance be high as fuck in toronto?
>>
File: MP40_619.jpg (2.64 MB, 3264x2250)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
Isn't it strange how we're the one city that gets a frequent general? Wonder why that is, I'm gonna guess the general North American disposition of 4chan combined with our preserved streetcar network.

>>1276246
because the system is optimized for travel in the opposite direction, sadly
>>
>>1276346
Probably because there is always something to discuss on the topic of transit here in Toronto. Sure most of it leads nowhere but it has becomes such a public and divisive debate here you can't really not talk about it. I mean is there really anywhere else in North America where the issue of public transit is contested as here?

Its only going to get even worse come the spring when the Province uploads the Subway. Nobody seems to know what will happen, hell I am sure not even the Province knows.
>>
>>1276346
As a foreign spectator it seems that people in Toronto care more for public transport that most NA cities, even if actual service quality isn't too satisfactory. I also get the impression that Toronto has an above average downtown, unlike those American cities that tore up half their city to build parking lots.
Then ofc you have people like yours truly mirin your streetcars. My autism likes to keep up to date on tram happenings around the world.
>>
>>1276110
moved away 3 years ago. is the eglinton line up and running? is it any good? yes i could google it
>>
File: LongBranchLoop.jpg (180 KB, 1050x644)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>1276454
well toronto's certainly the only place you'll get lots of tram habbening in north america
>>
>>1276464
nope, it's planned to open 2021
>>
>>1276464
still under constructy
>>
reminder to join the discord

https://discord.gg/psaS2M2
>>
What's Doug gonna do in Scarborough?
>>
>>1277068
Who the fuck knows. Not even he knows.
>>
>>1277068
Sink a FUCK LOAD of money into a 3 stop extension, fer shure dawg
>>
>>1277140
they should have just converted it into LRT...
>>
>We will be experiencing a temporary delay in subway service as there has been an injury at track level or signal problems or some idiot has flipped the emergency switch or we just can't fucking get our shit together during rush hour, but hey, let's keep building more condos and inviting more people into the city

Thanks TTC, keep up the good work
>>
TTC = Take The Cage
>>
File: kek.png (58 KB, 1592x206)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
is this true torontonians?
>>
>>1278097
Quebec city is better but the rest of that is bullshit unless the highest ranked hostel in the city with expensive breakfast restaurants nearby is in fucking regent park or Jane and Finch
>>
>>1278097
I know this hostel it's right by Kensington market on college so this is probably bullshit
>>
>>1278097
Junkie ODing is a free space on the bingo card when it comes to cities.
>>
>>1278285
>such is life in the third world
>>
>>1278097
havent heard of any shotgun attack like that before.
almost all shootings here are the result of fights at night clubs or criminal dealings.
>>
>>1278097
Fake news
Almost all random gun violence is national news in Canada
Just gang killings go unreported
>>
>>1277338
I pray for this

It would already be operational and Scarborough would have its own line which would be aesthetic on a transit map. The subway debate is absolutely ridiculous
>>
Fun fact:

Toronto Union Station is the busiest train station in North America outside NYC.
>>
>>1279400
When is Bay concourse gonna open?! Also will it be connected to york food court at the basement level?
>>
>>1279549
At this point I'm unsure if anyone born before 2010 will see the end of construction at union
>>
>>1278441
>>1279291
This is definitely regurgitated news that this guy bullshitted into a current story he Larped.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-shotgun-shooting-pedestrian-cyclist-1.4731918
>>
>>1278097
Pathetic bait, no one eats biscuits and gravy in Canada. Good ol' burger insularity strikes again.
>>
>>1278097
I heard that Toronto is pretty sterlile and boring for a "diverse" city?
t.bong
>>
>>1281317
I'm from Buffalo and Toronto is one of the closest cities with an actual defined downtown which I enjoyed.
>>
>>1281317
For a city of its size, it's pretty boring Imo, maybe that's just because I'm used to it
>>
File: DyqS9zsWwAAU9Wt.jpg large.jpg (476 KB, 1243x2047)
476 KB
476 KB JPG
Finch West LRT construction begins in the spring.
>>
>>1281944
I'm excited for both this and eglington
>>
>>1281944
>decide to scroll west around each spot on Google Maps to see what the LRT will be like, every stop is around subsidized housing, employment services, legal aid, immigration aid, cash money pay day loan stores, jamaican chicken or fried chicken places, adult education centres, etc.

Why does government favour the poor over the wealthy when the wealthy pay more tax?
>>
>>1282112
tbf many wealthy neighbourhoods throw hissy fits when a streetcar line is supposed to be built, so why even bother
>>
>>1282112
>Why does government favour the poor over the wealthy when the wealthy pay more tax?
Because its the wealthy neighborhoods that consistently oppose transit expansion into there neighborhoods.
>>
>>1282130
because it connects them to people from Rexdale and Jane and Finch
>>
>>1282133
Yea thats an excuse I see a lot in the states but have never seen it here in Toronto. Here its either because they want it but don't want to pay for it, or its because they think it will ruin there property values even though the exact opposite is true.
>>
>>1282112
what, you mean the government has been redistributing wealth by investing in public infrastructure for people who really need it ?
>>
>>1281317
this is true, toronto has no sense of place or atmosphere
>>
>>1282140
govt is supposed to invest equally tho, not more for the poor than for the rich.
However these >>1282115 >>1282130
>>
>>1282115
>>1282130
At some point, boomers decided "subway = rich, streetcar/bus = poor" and started resisting anything that isn't subway. Of course, subways are the most expensive type of public transportation to build and operate, and unless it's built in a highly dense area, it can't make back it's operating costs (see Sheppard subway, Scarborough extension, etc.).

It got to the point where the city had to go on a PR war to convince boomers underground LRT is not streetcar, but like smaller subway.
>>
>>1282338
Toronto Transit died with Bill Davis as premier. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>1282552
Yea pretty much. He helped continue construction of the Subway, supported Toronto keeping its streetcars, planned on electrifying GO and expanding it through GO ALRT, and killed Toronto's Highway Expansion plans (a point that still makes drivers seethe to this day). The only blemish you could possibly say for Davis is the SRT and well it shouldn't have been built the technology used ended up being successful elsewhere.
>>
>>1282558
Davis was voted out before the Etobicoke RT could be constructed. Ever wonder why the Bloor line was extended one stop west to Kipling directly south of the hydro corridor? Because it was a right of way to build an RT up to the finch hydro corridor, then east on the Finch corridor connecting to the subways up there. Davis never got t build it with made in Ontario technology because he lost the election to Peterson. Really makes you think
>>
>>1282558
sauce
https://www.blogto.com/city/2012/06/whatever_happened_to_the_etobicoke_rt/
>>
>>1282572
That's true. Just a slight correction, Davis wasn't voted out, he actually retired even though polls had him winning a 5th term as Premier. Makes you wonder what would have happened had he stayed on for another 4 years, would the NDP and the Harris conservatives ever been a thing had Harris lead into the 90's? The Conservative party in general went to shit the minute Davis left, ever since then the inmates have been running the asylum.
>>
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1095337185467719683?s=21

well it was nice riding the ttc
>>
Anyone else seen the Go bus commercial they released recently. It’s on YouTube and might deserve its own thread. A /n/ marketing thread might be neat.
>>
>>1286601
you could have posted the fucking link
>>
>>1286601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuWS4XGb-G4

this it?
>>
File: Pedestrian-accidents.jpg (295 KB, 1000x679)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
Has anyone reported a low-speed pedestrian collision before? I've been hit in the downtown core like 3 times in the last year, all under 15km an hour. One was a hit and run. It seems like more trouble than its worth but Im incredibly sick of the culture in this city and need some kind of justice

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.