[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 13 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Not a bike guy but I really, really need to improve my cardio and because it's freezing cold in Canada, I can't bring myself to run outside. I usually do speed rope at the gym but it's so boring and tiring for the delts. So I recently started looking for some indoor cardio options I could do at home and got really interested in the zwift gaming app. What would be a cheap and effective bike/trainer combo? I hate spin bikes because I'm never able to adjust properly so I'll get my bike fitted. Side note, I am not planning to do a lot of biking during the summer
>>
Riding on my trainer is extremely boring and I love riding bikes. I don't know how long you would hang on. I manage to do with audiobooks but not sure you could.

Honestly it sounds like a big investment for something you're not sure to hold.

I'd say look at some tabata circuit if you really want to do some effective cardio at home.
>>
>>1272941

In my experience outside of just pumping iron the best exercise at the gym for the time is the elliptical by Precor that you can adjust the incline and resistance.

When I ride those bikes like the upright ones and the recumbent at the gym it just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything, plus it makes me long for my perfect bikeu fit.

Gonna get shit for this but the spin classes are unabashedly fun and there are lots of hot women in them. The only problem is they are 30 mins-1 hr only and are usually at 630am.
>>
>>1272942
Really? I thought it would be fun. I don't mind being repetitive, as long as I am sweating
>>
>>1273291
With zwift it can be pretty fun I guess, but it doesn't compare to real riding.

I'd just go for it, get a taxc bushido and the cheapest canyon endurace. Or maybe a gaint if you can get a good deal with a fit.
>>
>>1273356

guys said he won't be riding outside and you tell him to buy a 700$ trainer and 1000$ bike.
Kek
>>
>>1273358
Thought the bushido was the cheapest one...
But yes get a 1000 bike it's an investment poorfag
>>
>>1273359
The guy clearly said he won't use the bike outside the trainer, he shouldn't spend more than 300 on it.
>>
>>1272942
>>1273291
>>1273356
Can confirm it's soul-sucking boring.
I too LOVE to ride outdoors, can be out for many many hours without a hind of boredom just taking everything and staying alert.

So I got myself the NEO like in the OP thinking I could maintain my fitness through the winter.

But MAN is it difficult to find the motivation to get on that thing.
It's a little bit of hassle to set up, having to move it in front of some monitor, connect it to Zwift, start a workout program, find some sort of entertainment that lasts for a good while and is a good mix between not requiring too much concentration and not being too boring.

I think with all the boredom and such I feel like I perform a good 30% worse than I would have on the road, if not more.

I still do it - from time to time, but I can't get down to some sort of regular routine. No way.

That all being said, there are PLENTY of people who mash out mad hours on Zwift and such.
Read some article today about Boasson Hagen having a +6hr session in Zwift not long ago
>>
>>1273369
OP here. I won't be using it on a daily basis but from time to time yes. Am I better off with rollers instead of a trainer?
>>
File: 8541631561.jpg (73 KB, 1000x1000)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>1273404
You might be better off with a stationary bike if you honestly don't see yourself riding outside. I'm a northerner myself and I understand how rough winters can get but summer riding is one of the greatest feelings in life. So if you don't see yourself riding outside ever, just get a stationary bike. I don't know if they have one that connects to zwift since I can't stand trainers or indoor riding myself (I just tough out the winter, in fact winter riding is easier than summer riding IMO) but maybe there's a stationary bike that can link up to zwift. One things for sure, it'll be cheaper than investing in a bike and trainer you will never take outside.
>>
>>1273404
also, rollers are a different thing completely. The provide almost no resistance, meaning you won't get any real meaningful workout from spinning on rollers.
>>
>>1272941
I think cycling is only the second best form of cardio. Running is the king and easier to do in the winter/snow. Do more running if you're interested in winter cardio.
>>
>>1274257
Running burns more energy but is hell on your knees. Run a lot if you want fucked up knees
>>
>>1274259
Not true, run with good form and off pavement if you're really worried about it.
>>
>>1274648
>good form
hard to keep up when your smashed
>off pavement
foot ball fields and public parks are good for that
out side of that gets quickly into ankle rolling territory
>>1273481
air resistance stationary bikes are nice
>>
>>1273481
>1700$ for a heap of metal you can't even ride anywhere
lulwat
>>
>>1274648
Even with perfect form and off pavement your joints will suffer eventually. Knee cartilage is designed to wear over time when running and it won't grow back. The only thing you can do with good practices is slow the wear. Because they don't wear off joints cycling (if you don't mash but spin) and (moreso) swimming are objectively superior to running.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.