[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

As long as stinkin' cars and motorcycles dominate the roads, I will not make cycling my main form of transport. If I commute to work on my bicycle, the exhaust fumes are unbearable. In my car however, with vents closed, I experience zero problems.

Cycling is a huge bodily effort. I cannot understand why anyone would want to exercise next to motorized traffic, or through motorized traffic. It is terribly unhealthy in the long run. The equivalent of a few cigarettes a day.

Aside from the toxic fumes, there is also the highly irritating noise from motorized traffic on the outside, combined with the wind noise, possibly rain and cold. It is very uncomfortable. In my car, I am sheltered from all these elements.
>>
Just leave China and stop blogging so much
>>
The devil is in the details, somewhere out there on the internet there's a breakdown of the break even point in terms of cardiovascular benefits offset by pollution exposure. As long as you don't live in New Delhi or Beijing your average bike commute is going to put you in a better position than cage commuting, health-wise.
>>
File: 1537869704755.jpg (160 KB, 667x960)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>
>>1272694
oh ffs stop being a whiny crybaby and ride your goddamned bike, kid. the world isn't going to change to suit you so either deal with it or go hide under your covers and cry like a little bitch.
>>
Duly noted
>>
Get a pollution mask suitable for cycling. I have a Respro mask.
>>
The atmosphere in your box is less healthy than outside: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/12/children-risk-air-pollution-cars-former-uk-chief-scientist-warns
>>
>>1272694
>ywn place your car in the bike box with a smug while you rob at least 10 seconds from a car driver
you're a massive beta
>>
>>1272694
Why are they not using the cycle lane?
>>
>>1273520
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line
>>
I have 5 words for you....

STAY OFF THE MAIN ROADS!!!
>>
>>1272694
(your place)
>>
>>1272694
Bikes aren't really a practical alternative to cars unless you live in an urban area with good bike infrastructure, live close to school and work, etc. And even then only if you don't have a family, don't transport anything you can't just carry on you or your bike, and the weather is normally good and you don't have winters.
>>
I know you don't like people telling you what to do but just send out construction workers to make it worse
>>
File: 1545760361781.jpg (13 KB, 167x175)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1273646
>if i keep saying it, it will be true!
>>
>>1273646
>and the weather is normally good and you don't have winters.
Don't be a pussy. I couldn't argue with you up until that point because everything you said up until that point applies to me, but the last qualifiers are laughably ridiculous. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>1273526
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line

Only useful to prevent conflicts between left turning vehicles (UK) that can't see bikes in their blind spot. But there's a bus in a dedicated left turn lane in OP's picture. So, why?

Here's the problem: Cycles have a dedicated lane between intersections. But they spread out in front of every lane at a stop. Now, on the green, they have to get going AND somehow move back to the left (UK) where the cycle lane is. But cars are faster, so they get cut off and panic trying to cut across. I've seen this numerous times where these are just starting to be put in (in Seattle, switch left and right lanes).

In Seattle, the 'cycling advocates' are really just anti-car. So increasing the auto/cycle conflicts works to their political agenda. Safety studies by cycling groups don't mean shit. Because they are just anti-car activists.
>>
>>1274329
>the 'cycling advocates' are really just anti-car
I've noticed this to be the case more often than not. The types that always take the lane, will try to chase down a car for any pass they deem too close, and for whatever reason seem to pick riding on the worst roads at the worst times. I don't really get it, I can count on both hands the number of times I really thought a driver did me wrong, and I ride about 6-7000 miles per year.
>>
>>1274333
I'm anti-car in that I'm tired of them being centered. Cycling-centered infra doesn't preclude car travel, but the inverse isn't true.

>>1274329
Maybe in theory, but in driving as well as cycling, motorists have trouble getting away from a green. If I time it right and am able to shift down before I come to a stop, I'm getting across the intersection just as fast, if not faster, than a car. None of this is happening on a wide open track, but on a street where you're limited by the cars in front of you and around you.
I'd rather take the visibility.

That being said, cycling infra needs to be thought out better. One street in town has a nice, protected lane on the left hand side (In N America), but randomly changes to far right and you have to get across two lanes of straight moving traffic, and one lane of right turning traffic. (Which everyone drives straight through) It's really obvious when the lane change happens but no one will ever cooperate with you and suddenly you're in the fastest lane of traffic.
>>
Friendly reminder that any modicum of pushing back against decades of social engineering sponsored in the way of trillions of dollars in subsidies to the cage isn't "anti-car". It's just making streets livable again and functional for all users, like they were for thousands of years before the cage.
>>
>>1272694
>Cycling is a huge bodily effort.
I guess if you're fat and weak. Why do you allow yourself to be that way, OP?
>>
File: RunawayHorse.jpg (56 KB, 500x336)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1274475
Friendly reminder that roadway conflicts existed and people died long before the automobile.
>>
>>1272694
If you feel so bad about not cycling to work that you have to post an essay excusing yourself on 4chan, than wouldn't it be an idea to move somewhere less busy or a country with better cycling infrastructure?

Pic related (London) is more or less the worst place in the world to ride a bike so assuming you live there, moving to pretty much anywhere would be a step up cycling wise.
>>
>>1272694
>As long as stinkin' cars and motorcycles dominate the roads, I will not make cycling my main form of transport. If I commute to work on my bicycle, the exhaust fumes are unbearable. In my car however, with vents closed, I experience zero problems.

as a sedentary driver, the carbon monoxide and oxygen saturation of your blood is worse than the cyclist who are fitter than you

anyway these cyclist would prefer to be on a road with no competiting motorists, leaving you in bumper to bumper traffic inside some long poorly ventilated tunnel
>>
>>1272694
Research has shown that you inhale more toxic fumes per mile inside of a car than riding a bicycle next to a highway.

Think about that. The entire interior of a modern car is comprised of cheap plastic and flame retardants deteriorating in the heat for years. Cars literally give you cancer
>>
>>1274696
>The entire interior of a modern car is comprised of cheap plastic and flame retardants deteriorating in the heat for years

This.
The air quality inside of cars is terrible. You should never switch off ventilation and always leave your doors open for 5 minutes before driving. What's more, a lot of cars have their air intake pretty close to the ground, thus you inhale more CO from exhaust fumes in a car than on a bicycle.
>>
>>1274696
I have lived in my car for 233 years, your argument is invalid
>>
File: AHHHHHHHHH.jpg (593 KB, 2048x1356)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>1274696
That sounded like a *citation needed* at first, but holy shit, I finally have something to quantitate me feeling gassed in cars

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.