[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: discovery_bay.jpg (63 KB, 630x421)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>Move to a carless community
>Great, there's no car, you can take bus and ferry to reach nearby urban area and can also choose to take bus or bike within the community to anywhere you want.
>Oh but let's also allow some golf kart running in the community as they are not cars and there's are probably some need for them to travel inside the community that are not satisfied by bus, with a quota system as one won't want their community being flooded with carts
>It now cost 300,000 USD to buy a fucking used go cart with the quota included or cost 1000 USD for monthly rent, just for travelling in between the few facilities in the community and residential area, when there are extensive bus services that are serving all of those facilities directly.
>>
>>1271563
See, you can't design carless community.
You have to allow some cars.
But yeah, this is something really amerifat-like, drive 1 km in residential area.
>>
this has to be america right?
not amazed, goddamet they are retarded haha.
i like to travel and have been to a lot of places, yet still not to america. debating if its worthwhile.. like.. it must have interesting stuff right?
>>
>>1271567
Hong Kong
>>
>>1271569
Wow.
>>
>>1271563
How do you carry enough groceries to last a couple weeks without your own car? You like carrying around bags of food every couple days?
>>
>>1271572
>How do you carry enough groceries to last a couple weeks
No one in Hong Kong do this because apartments are expensive as fuck and people would rather have more rooms for themselves to move around in it instead of using those rooms to store groceries.
>You like carrying around bags of food every couple days?
Why would you need to carry around bags when you can simply get what you need the day everyday?
>>
>>1271574
Well, I can see that you're totally fucked and trapped in that hellhole. Enjoy your busrides and sooty air.
>>
>>1271584
at least he isn’t living in mainland china
>>
>>1271572
I generally do groceries bi-weekly or weekly, because food spoils after some time
>>
>>1271584
At least it's still rare for AQI to be above 200 here. Unlike some region where it get over 1000 frequently.
>>
>>1271572
How often do you go grocery shopping? I thought visiting weekly was relatively common with maybe a rare midweek visit for one item if you ran out and absolutely need it.
>>
>>1271566
>drive 1 km in residential area

I don't see the problem, especially in a battery powered golf cart. You sound poor.
>>
>>1271574
>when you can simply get what you need the day everyday?
Going to the grocery store is not fun and something I definitely don't want to do daily. Weekly at most.
>>
>>1271572
As already mentioned, you don't and visit every other day, or you man up and get efficient. I use a small bike cart to carry groceries, and get enough to last a family of 4 two weeks in one go (or two if I need a rice bag)
Is it really that hard to imagine?
>>1271624
I feel the same.
>>
File: 1545760361781.jpg (13 KB, 167x175)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1271572
lol, my town wasn't designed by car cucks so there isn't a reason to buy weeks worth of bullshit.
I don't need to make any of my trips 'worth it'.
Hell, sometimes when I'm cooking, I'll go a couple times a day when I realize I don't have something I need.
>>
>>1271627
You should see just how much fucking crap Amerilards buy on a trip to the grocery. Fucking mountains of cheap packaged carbs, sugar, frozen pizzas and tendies, etc.
>>
>to last a couple weeks
If you aren't shopping for groceries at least one a week then that means you aren't buying fresh food. Stop eating garbage out of the can and box you lard ass.
>>
>>1271624
>>1271627
Most part of Hong Kong are high density residential area, with at least a wet market or super market within 5 minutes walk from most peoples' home, so it would not be an obstacle to most people
The Discovery Bay area mentioned in OP is a comparatively lower density area but the supermarket there is conveniently located right next to the regional transportation hub that it shouldn't be too difficult to buy things from it daily.
>>
>>1271622
There are better options for 1 km.
- Walking
- Kick scooter
- Kick scooter with motor
- Maybe bicycle
>>
>>1271572
There is literly no transport method on the planet that let's you buy 2 weeks food in one go because most food doesn't last 2 weeks unless all you are buying is microwave dinners.
>>
File: bakfiets.jpg (226 KB, 640x428)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>1271563
Aren't bikes a thing in Hong Kong? Ofc you don't want to wait for a bus every single time you're making a quick trip to the grocery store but where I live people use bikes for that.

>>1271572
>How do you carry enough groceries to last a couple weeks without your own car?
Pic related has the same storage capacity as a normal car. I'm pretty sure you need a van if you want stuff for a 'couple of weeks' though
>>
>It now cost 300,000 USD to buy a fucking used go cart with the quota included or cost 1000 USD for monthly rent

Buy a cycle-truck
>>
>>1271563
Ma Wan is not very less stupid.
> It now cost 300,000 USD to buy a fucking used go cart with the quota included or cost 1000 USD for monthly rent,
There are some noises on learning from Singapore's COE in the terriory. Allowing isn't bad, as long as you pay. The managing company need some profit to support bus and the costly ferry. Look at what Park Island went through.

>>1271567
Thought OP is going to bring up Tom Scott's vid on Peachtree City.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVGqtmd2w
>>
>>1271673
It's that in those parts of HK. Other than the outlaying islands, mainland New Territories bike usage is still mostly recreation and leisure (though not sure on residents exactly). Walking is sufficient and the best way
> pic
Never seen this before.
>>
>>1271673
>Aren't bikes a thing in Hong Kong?
It is, but less popular than some other places. Granted, Discovery Bay seems to be a place where bikes are more popular as stats show 40% residents use bikes to travel within the area.
>>1271681
>Learning from Singapore's COE
They are just "noises". Government policy in recent years seem really pro-car.
>>1271686
bicycle as a form of transport is also a realistic option in some of those pre-war villages in New Territories but that's it
>>
>>1271654
>There are better options for 1 km.
Lol that's your opinion faggot. People stop using cages in favor of green alternatives and you're still seething

It could not be more obvious how jealous you are of people with an income higher than yours

>>1271659
t. never bought groceries
>>
>>1271705
Actually I do buy groceries and they have to be eaten fast before they go bad. Things like mushrooms go to shit within 4-5 days, milk and bread last a little over a week. Cars are the reason that society throws out absolute mountains of food because they bought too much and it went bad before they got to eat it. If we had local stores and made a trip every 3 days the problem would almost go away
>>
>>1271730
I buy all those things and you are absolutely delusional except for mushrooms but I can do without those for a few days because I'm not a spoiled little liberal shit
>>
>>1271735
Not him btw
The longevity of groceries is subject to their refridgeration or freezing and the local climate. When I bought bread in Brisbane, it would go moldy on the fourth day after I bought it. No, it wasn't the cheapest bread either. I'm not sure if you eat vegetables, but they start to spoil after about 6 days. Same goes for unfrozen refridgerated meat, it goes bad after a week. Now I don't know how full of preservatives they pump everything where you live, but you can see that I did, in fact, have to go shopping at least every 4th day.
>I can do without those for a few days because I'm not a spoiled liberal shit
That's nice, you can live on milk and oats for a week, doesn't mean it's healthy.
No seriously, do you just not mind eating vegetables that are going bad?
>>
>>1271738
I have a fridge and freezer
>>
File: Venice-Wallpaper.jpg (1.27 MB, 4116x2705)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>1271563
this is how you build a car-less city
>>
>>1271758
Then why are you buying 2 weeks worth of groceries at a time? How far away is your mega mart that you have to justify the trip?
>>
>>1271705
>green alternatives
>When the energy source is still fossil fuel, now with battery added to the process
>>
>>1271794
Private boats are just like private cars in such situation
>>
>>1271566
Not poor, just not fat.
>>
File: Nothin personnel kid.jpg (160 KB, 1200x800)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>1271794
>slows your commute
>>
>>1271871
Why does this same mouthbreather comment get posted non stop. Its debunked endlessly in so many different ways. I'll give a quick list of them so you can do your own research.

Having all electric cars makes it very easy to reduce pollution by just switching the power plants to renewable.

Power plants run way way more efficient than internal combustion engines so burning coal in a power plant and then piping the power to an electric car is more efficient than burning it in the car which is constantly changing its power output.

Even if you are burning coal in a power plant you are still doing it far away from the streets which hugely improves health for the people living in the cities.

Also golf carts weigh shitloads less than cars so they use hardly any energy compared to a car to move around.

Also many places like South Australia are already almost fully renewable so its almost entirely cars on the streets causing air pollution.

Electric golf carts are better in so many different ways that you can choose to ignore most of the advantages and still come out ahead.
>>
>>1271876
If it is that easy to "just switch to renewable" then we will be using 100% renewable energy globally already
Hong Kong is still using >50% coal.
It's planning to switch to LNG but that's about it.
Renewable energy is only providing 2% energy source for the city.
Options like offshore wind farm have been considered but they also have significant environmental impact.
>>
>>1271880
Even if renewable energy didn't exist, electric golf carts are still better in so many ways by a huge margin.
>>
>>1271848
I buy groceries ever 7-9 days because I don't like grocery shopping. I don't have a problem with things rotting or molding because I live in the first world. I don't care where you live or how you grocery shop, why do you care how others do it?

>>1271884
>Not if you're comparing it against buses or bikes.
Not every community can support a bus system nor do they want it. Not everyone is able-bodied and can ride a bike or walk to where they need to do. You're so myopic that you must be in college
>>
>>1271882
Not if you're comparing it against buses or bikes.
You're just lowering the standard by comparing it against ordinary automobiles
>>
>>1271886
>Not every community can support a bus system nor do they want it.
The thread already stated that there is an extensive bus network in the particular community. And the thread also stated it's supposed to be a carless community. Why would anyone who don't want to use public transportation live in such community?
>>
>>1271888
Your argument:
>Why isn't everyone just like me?
>>
>>1271886
TIL first world = processed and frozen food. No wonder so many people in the west are fat and disgusting.
>>
>>1271890
Why would one move to a community when their ideal are incompatible with their own ideology
>>
>>1271891
Do you know what refrigeration is?

>>1271892
Using an electric golf cart to get around isn't equivalent to gas powered cars no matter how much you try to meme it
>>
>>1271900
>Using an electric golf cart to get around isn't equivalent to gas powered cars no matter how much you try to meme it
That depends on your goal and objective. If your goal is to drive around in a more environmentally friendly way? Then sure it is different? But if your goal is to reduce the total traffic and have a nicer community? Then sorry they're just the same destructing factor running on the road.
>>
>>1271903
Sounds like you just want to control everyone who doesn't adhere to your variety of autism.
>>
>>1271905
There are 20,000 people living in Discovery Bay. Only 2.5% use the kart. Yet that result in lot of kart traffic on the roads there. If the other 97% residents can do what the community is intended to do then why can't those few people?
If it is "autism" to build a carless community then why would one move into it only to defy it? What sort of autism is it to insist driving something "car-like but not a car" in a carless community?
>>
File: chart3a.png (29 KB, 566x288)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>1271880
replacing power plants takes time, first you need a permission then you need to build a new plant, then you can decommission an old plant, this replacement is already happening for a decade but it may take another one or two decades to go 100% renewable.
>>
>>1272096
The problem is this is Hong Kong we are talking about with the limited amount of space ot have. Geothermal and hydropower are literally impossible due to geology, solar power is okay but only when placed on rooftop for buildings for supplementary purposes, any piece of flat land you can find that's suitable for solar power plant would be more suitable for constructing new developments. Wind turbine is okay but considering the noise from it it can only be put offshore and there's probably only a few places suitable for them in the entire territory which limits the capacity. Tidal power exists but due to the busy marine traffic I doubt how many of them can be effectively utilized. Additional nuclear power plant in the territory is nice until you realize the whenever anything went wrong you would have nowhere to go.
>>
>>1272130
> in the territory
Daya Bay Nuclear Plant outside is already too close.
The Colonial Government did seriously examine a desalination nuclear plant doubling for electricity last century.
>>
>>1271910
>If the other 97% residents can do what the community is intended to do then why can't those few people?
Fuck off bugman

>If it is "autism" to build a carless community
They did. Golf carts aren't cars.
>>
>>1272164
>Golf carts aren't cars.
And white horse is not a horse
>>
File: non argument.jpg (33 KB, 567x565)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1272180
pic related
>>
>>1271572
You absolutely cannot live without car, if you don't consider it when choosing where to reside.
You need reasonable grocery shopping opportunities in walking distance, and obviously access to public transport (at least one line to the local train station is a must).
Places where all of that comes together are limited and usually not exactly cheap to live in, so people that can afford to live like that can consider themselves to be lucky.

I really don't like that "cager this, cager that" shit that people sprout all the time.
It's like complaining about people with disabilities not being able to run as fast as you. It's not fair.
>>
>>1271563
>2019
>still complaining about shit you're never going to change
>still fighting reality instead of flowing with it
Fringies never learn, never change, never improve
>autistically obsessed with bicycles to the point of self-harm!
Someone really should scoop you people up and put you on a 48 hour psyche hold, figure out what mental illnesses you have, and forcibly medicate you.
>>
File: 1482343956569.jpg (364 KB, 709x465)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>1273091
For a simple man like me, it is impossible to know for sure who possesses the truth. I don't know if it's the bikefag, healthy and free. If it's the satisfied cager, I don't know either. But there is one thing I do know. That is, that it's not the person who gives people 'wake up calls' on 4channel.org.
>>
>>1273077
You know train lines arent rivers and shit that naturally occur. Someome [with money and profit opportunity] developed a country that made it near impossible to be carless in those places. That's what I'm fucking mad about.
>>
File: DSC01707.jpg (759 KB, 1920x1080)
759 KB
759 KB JPG
>>1273077
>You need reasonable grocery shopping opportunities in walking distance, and obviously access to public transport (at least one line to the local train station is a must).

this is the case almost everywhere in Europe and Japan and every place worth living in every developed nation
>>
>>1273623
In Japan? Absolutely.
In Europe? More so than in the US, but by far not everywhere.

>every place worth living in
Well, since that's close to the very definition of places worth living in, that goes without saying.
>>
>>1271572
The grocery store is on my way home from work and i have a big back pack.
Shopping every few days isnt a problem.
>>
>>1271563
>quiet
>clean
>don't go very fast
>not as big as a full-size car
You're just a whiny crybaby fringie who can't accept that the world isn't going to change to suit (((You))). Grow up, faggot kid.
>>
>>1273677
The problem of cars aren't unquiet, unclean, fast, nor their size. Stop using strawman arguments.
>>
>>1271563
I don't see why we can't enforce a mini car or keicar or golf cart class for deep urban environments. Hell, even the sub-compact class is a little too big for denser urban travel. A lot of cars are being driven one person per vehicle too, I find it such a wasteful practice.
>>
>>1273802
All of those are problems with cars what in the blazes are you talking about
>>
>>1273837
>A lot of cars are being driven one person per vehicle too
You are understating there by quite a margin.

The average number of riders (including the driver) in one car is like 1.1 to 1.4 depending on the time of day.
It's understandable that especially many Americans perceive their personally owned car as part of their freedom, and I won't belittle them for that, but they ought realize things can't go on like that.
>>
>>1273844
Yeah but not the main problem. As in taking the road away from non-motorists.
>>
>>1271572
I use a bike cart.
>>
File: timeless wisdom.jpg (184 KB, 402x572)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>1271563
>>
>>1274411
Yeah, please follow the rules.
>>
>>1271563
>Move to a carless community
Yeah, I was fascinated by that idea. PBS had a series called "Islands Without Cars". I watched one of the episodes, about Inis Meain (Ireland). While I was watching the show, I brought up Google Maps satellite view of the island and zoomed in. Guess what I found?

Cars.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cL5Nud8d7w
>>
File: 2-format43.jpg (132 KB, 800x533)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Yeah, cars are not environmentally friendly and they pollute the air in citys so people get lung cancer and shit but just getting out of your house, walking 3 steps and then just operating a machine a while to get everywhere is just awesome.

Since I was a kid I hated to go by bus to school because it was stinky, you have to sit next to another person, you can’t listen to your favorite racist music so I took the bike always. Made 10km to school and 10km back every day even when it was -15°C. My lips were

Driving bus is horror for me. Your description “Great, there's no car, you can take bus and ferry to reach nearby urban area and can also choose to take bus or bike within the community to anywhere you want.” Is just wrong.
It shall be: “Fuck, there is no car so I have to walk to wait for a bus that makes stops every 200m once I got into it where I have to sit next to stinky people and listen to the screams of small kids while the air is really thick, just to be able to get out and wait then again for the other bus where the whole games starts again so I can get nearby the place that I wanted to go just to walk another 15 minutes just to get to it.”
City’s are polluted and ugly places. Deal with it. Make trips out of the city for the weekend. Don’t try to get everyone in a fucking stinky bus.
>>
>>1276875
This. Fuck public transport.
Make personal transport more efficient (eg. electric kick scooters).
>>
>>1276879
Electric kick scooters are great for summer, spring and autumn if it doesn't rain but I also need a big car anyway because all my family lives 400km away from town and I like to be there I have some days without work or for holidays.
>>
>>1276881
It is good in snow too. But it absolutely sucks when rains.
>>
>>1276875
Where do you live? Have you ever been on buses in latin america? You just get used to it. You ever been on an over crowded bus in 95 degree heat? At least the service is regular and they stop wherever you want. Its not really a big deal, and it makes buses in the US seem opulent.
>>
>>1276933
Latin micros have aire cannabizado, so it is not an issue.
Also, drivers have no clue what door switches do, so they drive with open door, providing needful ventilation in +30 °c

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.