[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: 1533437932719 (1).jpg (254 KB, 680x677)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>15 minute layover
>Departure gate is on other side of airport
>>
Why on earth would you ever book a flight with a 15 minute layover? I've done 30 minute ones, but even that's playing with fire.
>>
>>1263912
Because my company is a faggot that picks what's cheapest for it.
>>
>>1263916
Then get your drinks written off as an expense when you miss your connection.
>>
aren't there shuttles for those cases?
>>
>>1263924
america, so no
>>
>>1263911
If you're at DTW, you've got that nice cross-terminal monorail (unless you're at the regional jet terminal, lmoa); if you’re at ATL, you’ve got the janky rubber-tired people-mover thingy
>>
>>1263911
how fat are you that it takes over 15mins to get to the other side of a airport?
>>
>>1263924
>>1263926
Memes aside "yes" but they are slow as piss in most airports
>Looking at you Huston
>>
>>1263933
Not OP, but if his first plane is 20 minutes late, fucking Bolt couldn't sprint there in MINUS FIVE minutes. Whoever booked this is retarded.
>>
>>1263933
>What is holiday season foot traffic
>What is Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, other fuck huge airports
Not every airport is a little Fisher Price looking 3 terminal situation, Hank.
>>
>>1263935
In detroit they move so fucking slowly that I successfully outran one. Looked like a loon in the process, but there's only so much you can do during a 5 hour layover.

>>1263936
This as well.

>>1263937
Or LAX where the stairs are closed and elevators don't work.
>>
>>1263938
OP here. I fly into DTW a lot and as Handy as those would be, they truly aren't that quick and are always blocked by mobs of unmoving packs of stoller mom's and fat people. I regularly out walk them lel.
>>
>>1263939
Oh yeah, if we're talking point to point they're piss easy to outwalk. Its a crying shame. They look pretty cool too.
>>
>>1263911
Just asking an obvious question, because it happened to a f-friend of mine... are you crossing time zones?
>>
>>1263943
This instance was some months ago but I always am desu.
>Foreverjetlagged
>>
>>1263933
>the only airport I've ever been at a is a small bumfuck nowhere flyover airport
>>
>>1263944
My point, you mongoloid jetlagged creature was that bording passes indicate the local time - and your layover may well have been 1:15 hours. I- a friend of mine once got very stressed about this, pulled a Forrest Gump sprinting to the gate only to realize that yeah... time zones.
>>
>>1263947
Bitch I fly at least twice a month. I know how time zones work and I know how to tell time. I think I can figure out when I have a fucked layover. Piss off to a train thread
>>
>>1263950
>Bitch I fly at least twice a month.
Aww that's cute, mongo-san.

I fly planes for a living and time zones still bite me in the ass every now and then.

Welp, guess we'll just have to leave without you then.
>>
>>1263911
Some faggots will be delayed, lol.
>>
>>1263927
>ATL
Running or using the tram, you would be busting it the whole time to get from the outer T-gates to the furthest gates in Concourse E/F in 15 minutes
>>
>>1263950
>Bitch I fly at least twice a month.
Thanks for making this planet hotter
Why the fuck do you fly so much?
>>
>>1263953
You must fly for Delta.
>>1263956
Kinda ironic that you say that lol. I'm a travelling wind turbine mechanic. Sometimes I'm flying to a new site, sometimes it's to see family.
>>
>>1263961
>a travelling snake oil mechanic
>>
>>1263965
Not him, but this shit in some areas it can chooch quite good. But I don't understand what to service there
>>
>>1263961
>wind turbine
Even worse. Renewables that aren't geothermal and hydro are worse than nuclear, which is the best energy source that exists.
>>
>>1263968
Solar?
>which is the best energy source that exists.
Unstable AF. If it will explode, cemetery coffin gay. Damage to environment is high.
No, I don't believe in statistics and shit, only one (1) retard is required in order to cause an accident.
>>
>>1263969
Nuclear reactors don't explode, at worst they melt down. They're very stable all around.
Solar is shit because
1) they require a shitton of rare earths per kW
2) they require another source of power as a backup because the output isn't guaranteed, except maybe in the Atacama desert, and even there I wouldn't be so sure
>>
>>1263967
Wind on a large scale is one of the worst possible energy sources and 100% a snake oil. It's unreliable as fuck, produces fuck all energy and worst of all requires coal or some other even worse source of energy to fill in the gaps and to adjust the demand.

The only places where wind makes even the slightest sense is in small units out in bumfuck nowhere without a power grid and all your power comes from solar&wind which is stored in batteries.

>>1263969
Solar requires massive amounts of rare materials for the panels and thus is certainly not a great energy source when looking at environmental side. If it would be possible to get solar energy without first raping the earth for rare materials it would be a better option. Though it shares the same problem as wind that it requires other sources to fill in the gaps and adjust for demand. Those sources are coal, oil, or gas if there isn't hydro available.

Also nuclear is unironically safer than coal or pretty much any other energy source. And making a reactor melt down would require massive neglect and/or actively trying to do so. There isn't a single case of a reactor just spontaneously melting.

If only people weren't retarded and stopped being so fucking afraid of nuclear power and we could have a much cleaner world. Germans have unironically driven down their nuclear power plants and replaced them by burning coal in an effort to save the world.
>>
>>1263970
>1) they require a shitton of rare earths per kW
Which exactly?
Silicone is anything but rare. Panels are basically silicone diodes, which are designed not to rectify, but to produce electricity.
Try shining laser on glass diode - it will provide some voltage.
Also you there are solar plants which don't use photovoltaic, but use mirrors in order to heat water.
>2) they require another source of power as a backup because the output isn't guaranteed, except maybe in the Atacama desert, and even there I wouldn't be so sure
Yes, but you can have a battery, unironically. Lead-acid battery will do.
>>1263973
>It's unreliable as fuck, produces fuck all energy and worst of all requires coal or some other even worse source of energy to fill in the gaps and to adjust the demand.
As long as it produces (steals) more energy, than used for manufacturing - it is not a meme.
>Also nuclear is unironically safer than coal or pretty much any other energy source. And making a reactor melt down would require massive neglect and/or actively trying to do so. There isn't a single case of a reactor just spontaneously melting.
You think that people, who work on nuclear plants are not retards, right?
In case of retard (or an earthquake) fucks up gas or coal - worst thing that will happen is fire.
In case of retard (or an earthquake) fucks up a nuclear: see Chernobyl (retard), Fukushima (retard+earthquake). Ionizing radiation fucks up DNA, and it causes cancer. Much worse than CO and shit.
>If only people weren't retarded and stopped being so fucking afraid of nuclear power and we could have a much cleaner world. Germans have unironically driven down their nuclear power plants and replaced them by burning coal in an effort to save the world.
>Be me
>Get hired on nuclear
>Press all buttons, disable retard-protection
>Everyone in 100 km zone gets cancer.
Or
>Be me
>Get hired on coal
>Press all buttons, disable retard-protection
>Fire trucks arrive and put down the flame
>>
>>1263982
Also disposal of used nuclear fuel doesn't exist.
>>
>>1263933
What kind of third world latin american shithole are you from where the airports are only 100m across? Most major airports in Europe and yankland are vast and require internal shuttle systems to ferry passengers around
>>
>>1263935
...uhh, which Houston airport? Hobby or Bush?
>>
>>1263982
>Lead-acid
fuck that, salt all the way

>You think that people, who work on nuclear plants are not retards, right?
>In case of retard (or an earthquake) fucks up gas or coal - worst thing that will happen is fire.
>In case of retard (or an earthquake) fucks up a nuclear: see Chernobyl (retard), Fukushima (retard+earthquake). Ionizing radiation fucks up DNA, and it causes cancer. Much worse than CO and shit.
I don't think you realize the sheer magnitude of retardation required for these disasters. And even if you take into account long term cancer risk spikes from the fallout of fukushima, they still don't surpass the death tolls of solar or wind historically.
Nuclear energy isn't some idiotproof safe source of energy, but they require a galaxy brain to fuck up and still do a bad job of killing. This also ignores oversight mechanisms. In Three Mile Island, it was considered expedient to ignore the glaring warnings of poor worker training. The USSR didn't give a shit that they were building a bomb despite how many people told them to stop, and Tepco was on the brink of getting legally blasted after failing several inspections when the earthquake hit. After which grace periods drastically shrunk (to my knowledge)
>>1263983
You can keep processing wastes for power generation till they're inert, and in terms of mass it pales in comparson to our other outflows of 'permanent' wastes.

Alsok eep in mind we,ve reached this point with nuclear being hideously underfunded. Give the researchers money and we'll likely have better solutions to waste and reactor idiotproofing in the future.
>>
>>1263942
>>1263939
>tfw you get on an empty one and you begin walking fast on it

I always feel like the flash whenever I do that. The one reason to like ORD
>>
>>1263982
Its not that simple in the modern day.

>>Be me
>>Get hired on nuclear construction
>>'Forget' to build retard protection
>>Get litigated

>>Be me
>>Get hired on nuclear
>>Press all buttons, disable retard-protection
>>Everyone within 10m gets increased risk of cancer or dies immediately, everyone within 20km needs to be sprayed, local area becomes overzealously cordoned for a few years.

>>Be me
>>Get hired on coal
>>Die in Explosion/Fire, choke out local population with smog and carcinogens

>>Be me
>>Get hired on oil
>>Killed by fall/bilge pump backflow/loose connection/pipe collision

>>Be me
>>Get hired by oil
>>Press all buttons, disable retard-protection
>>Kill literally EVERYONE
>>
>>1263989
>fuck that, salt all the way
Why? Cheap, recyclable, and designated types last long.
Some people live off-grid with such system.
>I don't think you realize the sheer magnitude of retardation required for these disasters.
You underestimate humans. Just imagine AF447.
>And even if you take into account long term cancer risk spikes from the fallout of fukushima, they still don't surpass the death tolls of solar or wind historically.
I don't think that solar had killed someone yet tho... Wind turbines surely did.
>Nuclear energy isn't some idiotproof safe source of energy, but they require a galaxy brain to fuck up and still do a bad job of killing
Galaxy-brain tier persons are quite common. You see them all the time. Some use two foot to drive a car with automatic, some cyclists don't respect traffic lights, or me, who measured current in pretty mean battery... They are everywhere, thus possibility of having one on nuclear plant is high.
>This also ignores oversight mechanisms. In Three Mile Island, it was considered expedient to ignore the glaring warnings of poor worker training.
So, retard is the cause.
>The USSR didn't give a shit that they were building a bomb despite how many people told them to stop,
No. There were retards, which broke absolutely functional reactor.

And now, let's compare number of nuclear station (yes, not kw produced, but quantity of stations) to other types, which are apparently more retard-proof.
I bet there are 500 of them, not more. While coal, oil, or gas stations are literally in every shithole town in every shithole.
>You can keep processing wastes for power generation till they're inert, and in terms of mass it pales in comparson to our other outflows of 'permanent' wastes.
Except it is difficult. They might be useless for generating heat, while they are still potentially dangerous for humans and shit. Otherwise they won't keep them under 15m of water.
>>
>>1263989
>Give the researchers money and we'll likely have better solutions to waste and reactor idiotproofing in the future.
It is impossible to idiot-proof a thing, that has a potential to explode badly, causing fall out.
For every retard-proof feature, there will be a retard, who will bypass it.
>>1263993
>>>Be me
>>>Get hired on nuclear construction
>>>'Forget' to build retard protection
>>>Get litigated
Thirdworld shitholes do exist.
>>>Be me
>>>Get hired on nuclear
>>>Press all buttons, disable retard-protection
>>>Everyone within 10m gets increased risk of cancer or dies immediately, everyone within 20km needs to be sprayed, local area becomes overzealously cordoned for a few years.
Make it fail so badly, that wind spreads shit for thousands of kilometers.
>>>Be me
>>>Get hired on coal
>>>Die in Explosion/Fire, choke out local population with smog and carcinogens
Except you can put fire rather quickly, thus minimize damage, unlike nuclear, which can't be shut down instantly.
>>>Be me
>>>Get hired on oil
>>>Killed by fall/bilge pump backflow/loose connection/pipe collision
Yes, but only you will suffer, and some coworkers. And final product.
>>>Be me
>>>Get hired by oil
>>>Press all buttons, disable retard-protection
>>>Kill literally EVERYONE
Happens the same thing as on coal or gas.
>>
File: 1543871909580.jpg (44 KB, 480x454)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>going to Barajas in 9 days
>both of the terminals are at least a mile long
joy joy
>>
>>1263933
>>1263936
you assum the first plane arrives on time. if its late hes fucked
>>
>>1263973
>There isn't a single case of a reactor just spontaneously melting.
There are cases of reactors melting down fully or partially though
>>
>>1263911
>going to Texas with buddy
>flight into ORD delayed by 30 mins and connection is 45 mins
>land on 10R because fucking O'Hare
>end up taxing for longer than expected since they had to reassign gate
>end up at concourse F
>next flight is at concourse C all the way at the end
>get off plane go straight to counter ask for a different flight since they boogered up and I'm not walking all that in 10mins
Fuck that noise god damn I fucking hate O'Hare for stupid shit like that.
>>
>>1263996
>not using two feet to drive an automatic
Confirmed for the retard he is afraid of operating nuclear power plants.
>>
>>1263923
genius
>>
>>1263911
Run girl
>>
>>1263969
solar
>mine out entire craters
nuclear
>bury a basketball court worth of waste WORLDWIDE every year

We have enough space to bury high level waste long enough to figure out cold fusion, i.e. as long as we fucking want
>>
>>1264114
>Oil or gas
Make a small hole.

>Solar
Silicon is just sand. Metals are recyclable.
>>
>>1264119
>he thinks solar is just silicon
>>
>>1264001
Nuclear doesn't explode, stop with the 80's Chernobyl-derived paranoia

>>1263982
Solar takes a shitton of space that could be used for carbon capturing, or even farming. Nuclear takes minimum space.
>>
>>1263911
Connections like this are only possible if there are delays or your company is retarded and breaking every rule of corporate travel by booking each segment on a separate ticket.
>>
File: three_mile_island.jpg (27 KB, 940x627)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1264165
>Nuclear doesn't explode, stop with the 80's Chernobyl-derived paranoia
Oh?
>>
>>1264185
>TMI

That's Fukushima.
>>
>>1264185
>>1264188
Neither Fukushima nor Three Mile Island ever exploded lmao
>>
>>1264203
Fukushima did demonstrably explode, as did Chernobyl.

Neither were atomic explosions, though.
>>
>>1263911
did he make it guys?
>>
>>1264165
>Nuclear doesn't explode, stop with the 80's Chernobyl-derived paranoia
If it has a potential to explode - it will. Just like a car with LPG.
>Solar takes a shitton of space that could be used for carbon capturing, or even farming.
Fuck farming, no food - no overpopulation.
Smaller population - smaller power usage - less pollution.
>>1264220
Chernobyl was exactly atomic explosion.
>>
>>1264241
>If it has a potential to explode - it will.
Then ban everything from pressure cookers to power plants.
>Chernobyl was exactly atomic explosion.
but, by very fucking definition it wasn't.
>>
>>1264203
>>1264185
>>
File: d.jpg (140 KB, 750x560)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>1264244
>Then ban everything from pressure cookers to power plants.
Pressure cooker just splashes some hot water in 3-4 meter area.
N*clear station can spread shiton of radioactive shit for kilomiles.
>but, by very fucking definition it wasn't.
It was.
Radioactive stuff caused it, so it is atomic explosion. Or you believe that bullets kill, not guns?
>>
File: IMG_1856.jpg (1.99 MB, 3608x2394)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
beme,,arive Honolulu 11,,flighton 5am.,
,,lay FULLY packed bike downand snuggleup!,
,,,,,sleepy peekat clock,4:50!!,Boom jumpup!!,
, HA justintime!, pullup to strangly empty gate,,?
,,"Sir, this is gate 00001. You want gate 10000. It's that way a mile, I'll call ahead for y......",
,her voice fades out as I BOLT!,,NITREOS BOOST!!, ahead,,man with radio waving!pointing!,"it's just thru th..." fadeout!,
,,Topspeed advanced!!tearing thru like andrunk cageracing tothospital witha broken leftleg!!,
,Pedestrian Saftey?!!WAAAAHAHA!THISSSSS ISSSSS PODRACEING!!,
,ahead!man with radio pointing thru Gate,Ahead another holds gateopen ,wavethru!,,blast onto apron,manwith wavey handlite things signals towards Plane STOPED on taxiway!,
,skid tostop atopen bagage door, help hoist Heavy bike up,run to stairs, getfront seat,,,nostop takeoff!,
bestflight.
>>
File: 1524322837159.jpg (153 KB, 377x670)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>1263911
>20 minute layover at SLC
>get hungry halfway through walk to other gate
>get in line at Smash Burger and buy chicken avocado sandwich with fries
>continue walk to gate
>make it as the last people are boarding
>>
>>1264255
steam explosion isn't an atomic explosion. A supercritical explosion would have levelled the entire fucking plant (and the second explosion is largely considered to be caused by pressure generated from fizzle, not a supercritical explosion).
And this only happened because the plant disabled all the safeties, retracted 90% of the rods overriding their automatic controls, ignored 5 alarms, flooded the core with still hot coolant, ignored literally all the reactor readings telling them this was a bad idea, and then forcibly shoved all those rods back in the core.
Which only resulted in catastrophic failure because the very FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN of this fucking reactor was ass backwards to begin with, a fact known for years by engineers and scientists at the time but conveniently ignored by the top brass. And a large portion of the resultant death toll came from the Russians conveniently not telling Ukraine something blew up on their soil, poorly informing everything involved, and ignoring both scientific knowledge and common sense in the resultant evacuation and cleanup.
It took a penultimate combination of a fucked reactor built thanks to government obstinacy operated by mistrained and uninformed personel with every safety off and all warnings ignored to lead to this trash fire. The pathways to failure in modern reactors even in similar operating conditions are nowhere near as catastrophic, it would be easier to do the same amount of damage by building your own dirty bomb.

I'm fine with being cautious about nuclear and its dire consequences when done wrong, but eschewing it entirely in case god himself removes the brain of every person involved while ignoring the statistically and historically more deadly power generation methods is asinine.

>>1264307
Lucky you.
>>
Post yfw you have a tight connection and you're lined up to land on THAT runway at AMS
>>
>>1264299
Happy to see you made your flight, Bacon.
>>
File: SUBARASHI LEVELS.png (476 KB, 675x675)
476 KB
476 KB PNG
>>1264345
>>
>>1264241
Chernobyl was absolutely not an atomic explosion, it was a reactor meltdown, learn your shit.
>>
>>1264345
Polderbaan? Yeah, I just camp out there and walk to the terminal in the morning, still beating the plane to the gate 9 out of 10 times.
>>
File: humanity has declined.jpg (103 KB, 723x712)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1264241

>steam pressure explosion = nuclear explosion

wew

Scientific illiteracy does us a great disservice.
>>
>>1264307
Thats because KSLC isn't a terrible airport.

Also Greek Souvlaki is the best airport food in KSLC
>>
>>1266259
Ehhh, steam explosions containing fissile materials are in a league of their own.
>if steam explosions are regular cum, then radioactive steam explosions are AIDS CUM
>>
File: 1534182823743.jpg (65 KB, 770x702)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>1 hour layover
>have to clear customs before I can get to the gate
>>
>>1263924
>forced to fly unaccompanied minor at like 12 because of the airline
>have a 15 minute layover and next gate is across the airport (SLC, I've never not had to go across that airport for a connecting flight)
>tell the flight attendant this and ask to be let off the plane first
>no sweetie, you have to get off last
>I promise you I'm not making that flight unless you let me off this plane as soon as possible
>don't worry sweetie, we'll get someone to shuttle you to your next flight
>get off plane
>son, you need to wait here at the gate until someone is available to walk you over
>my next flight literally leaves in five minutes
>huh, just a sec
>ok, someone's coming in a cart to take you
>cart goes slow as fuck
>they have to hold the next plane, delaying potnetially thousands of people
>>
>>1268670
And aids cum don't actually transmit aids unless you contact them immediately after ejaculation.
>>
>>1263911
lel, I once had to sprint across Detroit airport because of a short layover and agents were dispatched to surveil me. At my departure gate I pulled out my book, Animal Farm, and flashed it at an agent because Orwell. At my arriving airport, one of which followed me with a drug dog all the way to the airport train station and it's elevator. Sharing a mini elevator with an agent and drug dog is anxiety as fuck but I got my lels from the whole situation
>>
>>1274233
>At my departure gate I pulled out my book, Animal Farm, and flashed it at an agent

Based autist

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.