[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: tramway du couserans.jpg (1.73 MB, 1628x1026)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
Daily reminder building railroads to all villages that have under 500 inhabitants is in fact not unrealistic. The French had such lines in the middle of the mountains in the early 20th century.

Daily reminder cagers started ruining everything starting in the 1920's when Fascists, and later, Nazis, built highways because le epin Keynesianism mandated that tons of asphalt be layered everywhere to create jobs.
>>
>>1261443
Roads =/=> Cagers
Cagers <=/=> Bus
>>
>>1261443
>blah blah blah CAGERS blah blah blah
You guys are really tiresome insufferable little cunts, do you realize that? Fucking grow up already.
>>
>>1261474
Imagine getting this triggered over a nickname
>>
>>1261491
These are the same “people” who get “road rage” so it shouldn’t surprise you
>>
>>1261504
Just because they suffer from mental illness does not make them lesser people, they need our help and support
>>
>>1261474
t. cager mad that he's being called out on being dangerous and destroying the environment because muh freedoms
>>
>>1261520
They also need to stay the fuck away from heavy machinery
>>
>>1261464
Motorways were definitely built to cater to cager needs, and are on of the reason cages became so ubiquitous
>>
>>1261443
>Fascists, and later, Nazis
Same thing, really
Remember that back in that time, railroads were basically the only means of transporting goods and people over long distances efficiently. A village would get a railway connection instead of an asphalt road because cars simply weren't as widespread yet.
But on such remote routes, even if you did have a train station, a train would only come around 2 or 3 times a week. Once a day at best. That's not preferable to having a bus line that at least comes along once or twice an hour in the modern day.
>>
File: 2015 Ford F-150 truck.jpg (325 KB, 3000x1805)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>1261731
>commuting to work in a full size truck as a single occupant
>smelly poorfags stuck on the bus crying about muh environment
feels good man
>>
Kys my man
>>
>>1262213
>be cager
>get stuck in traffic
>literally can't leave by any means
>still pay taxes for public transit
>>
>>1262094
>a train would only come around 2 or 3 times a week. Once a day at best.
That might be true for American Far West towns, but not so much for Europe. The train running from Boussens to St. Girons, Ariège, had 4 trains a day in 1890, and 3-4 in 1923. For the comparatively much smaller line (in terms of inhabitants in the towns), that linked St Girons to the small town of Castillon and the small village of Seintein, there were up to 8 trams a day in 1934 (not long after the 1929 crisis, mind you).

Populations in 1931 (census date):
St. Girons: ~6 000
Castillon-en-Couserans: 610
Sentein: 1 097
Oust: 560

Nowadays, there's buses, but AFAIK there's only two a day.
>>
File: bus-rar.jpg (39 KB, 690x518)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1262339
yep and I get to keep the temperature how I like it, drink my coffee, in a comfy private cab, while your face gets stuffed into some homeless mans armpit
>>
>>1262350
>implying you're not just raging because you're wasting gas and worrying about Mr. Goldstein firing you for getting late
>implying I'm not just enjoying smalltalk with my friends on my way to some leisure activity because I'm not a social outcast
>>
>>1262350
Imagine drinking coffee in such packed bus.
>>
>>1262353
back to /pol with you, Anglinbot.
>>
>>1262213
only """people""" who drive SUVs are either obese retards trying to be alpha, dumb bimbo women, or baby boomers
Yeah I'd much rather sit on a bus while I can read, do emails, or even post on /n/
>>
File: Interior_tren_FGC.jpg (2.24 MB, 2592x1944)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1262350
the virgin cager
>can't phonepost
>can't watch videos
>can't read
>can only listen to radio or music
>can't dunk donut in coffee bc only one free hand
>sits in traffic going on average 10 mph but has to focus on the road, causing fatigue and stress without even being productive
>has to find parking space
>thinks he is free to move around but can only move freely on off hours bc traffic, can spend hours stuck in this "freedom"
>thinks his car is comfy but is actually breathing in all the exhaust from the other cars around him
>doesn't get exercise on the way, becomes a lardass or has to waste time at a gym
>can't go have beers w/ colleagues after work bc has to drive
>spends 5-10 times as much money on transportation as transitfags
>has to post shitty 3rd world meme pic to COPE

the chad trainfag
>phoneposting during the whole train ride
>or watching videos
>or reading
>or having coffee and donuts and dunking like the chad that he is
>doesn't need parking space
>always takes the same time to go places, dgaf about rush hours
>every journey means walking to and from stations, gets a bit of exercise each day
>maybe has a few drinks later
>saves money which he spends on lube to fuck stacy
>can post actual pic of daily ride, no need to cope
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (268 KB, 1200x900)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>1262406
Based. Look at this one chad bus cucking the SHIT out of cagers.
>>
>>1262414
This photo is so comfy... I wish Moscow would be still like this.
>>
>>1262344
Ok 4 trains a day vs. 2 busses a day is a huge step back of course.
Did the population decrease or stagnate completely in the area?

My hometown used to have its very own local railway back in the day. I thought we really lost a valuable asset by dismantling it sometime in the 60s or 70s. But those trains really had nothing on today's bus services. They moved at a snail's pace and mostly served a potassium mine and a secret ammunition facility during WWII.

My point is, complaining about lost railwaxys only makes sense if they didn't get replaced by something better. Our current busses are pretty shitty all in all, but they are a huge step up over the local railway.
>>
>>1261443
>>1262344
Interesting, can you explain this system further? Sounds like a great form of public service to rural areas. Who built them? Were these lines privately owned or were they operated by local/provincial/national authorities? Where did they get their electricity, hydropower? Can you elaborate on how/why they died? Thank you!
>>
File: AMG-800-b.jpg (1.41 MB, 1440x1080)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>1262463
France had a very extensive secondary rail network with metre gauge lines. Many of them were built and operated by the CFD (Compagnie de chemins de fer départementaux), others were independently organised as "tramways" or "chemins de fer économiques". Their lines reached pretty much all the places that were too small or too difficult to build a normal railway line to. Many networks reached impressive lenths of over 500km, though service was always pretty low. Most of these lines were closed either in the interwar period or past WWII, but some survived till today, like the network in Corsica or the line from Nice to Digne-les-Bains.

In Germany the term for these railways was "Kleinbahn" or "Kreisbahn", usually metre gauge or standard gauge lines that were built and operated by local investors and municipalities to reach smaller cities and factories. In Austria and Switzerland these lines were mostly electrified, many of them are still in service.
>>
>>1262460
The population of the villages that have been mentioned has been divided by two or three between the 1930's and the 1990's, when it got to its lowest. As of lately, it mostly stagnates.
I agree that, when there's nothing, buses are better, but dismantling existing rail infrastructure and then adding buses is certainly worse. Especially when the bus service is so shitty. Electric trams back in the day moved so slow because they didn't have the technology to get a nice 80 km/h (or even 100 km/h) cruising speed they could use nowadays. Now everyone has to use a car or perish. I'm confident a large part of the demise of the area, aside from the loss of rural jobs due to industrialisation, was the fact that the infrastructure worsened so much. Not only rural trams closed, but small retail stores as well. To live as comfortably as in a city, you need to drive at least 50 or 70 km a week, and that's assuming you plan your purchases very well and don't have emergencies. If you have to commute with your car, make it 200 km. And when the rural exodus happened, cars were very expensive, an upper middle class item that you certainly couldn't afford with a blue collar wage.

>>1262463
I can only speak for France, but basically, departments (administrative levels below the region) had the authority to declare that a train line was of local interest, and then it was built and exploited by a particular company. In the case of OP, it was the Society of Electric Trams of Ariège that built it in 1907, extended in 1911, and with further branches planned, but never built, for nearby valleys. The Great War thwarted those plans, and in the 1930's, owing to the economic crisis, the apparition of cars and buses, and the accelerating depletion of rural areas, they closed down.
>>
>>1262648
Legend for pic related because I had reached the 2000 characters limit:
Black lines: general interest (i.e., national) railways. Full = exploited, dashed = conceded (planned), dashed-dotted = in construction
Red lines: tramways, local interest railways. Full = conceded (built and running), dashed = planned (these never saw the light).
The symbols, from top to bottom, mean:
"Stations"
"Halts"
"Optional stops"
>>
>>1262645
What kind of rolling stock is this?
>>
>>1262924
AMG 800, built by CFD Bagnères (ex Soulé) starting 2009
>>
The Karlsruhe model of tram-trains could fill this role
A large regional town, like Karslruhe, would have a tram network on its streets - this gets connected to the mainline railway on which regional and interurban trains operate on and uses the railways to go to other surrounding towns providing much more frequent services than waiting for the intercity trains to make a stop
>>
>>1261443
Shut up faggot.
>>
>>1262955
Building a mainline main line is not exactly building more branches and spurs to every town and village.
>>
>>1262955
Karlsruhe's interurbans are working too well at this point. They built an inner-city tram tunnel in recent years. Not to make room for cars on the surface, but to spread trams out evenly on both the tunnel and the surface street. The demand is enormous.
>>
>>1262955
Karlsruhe is several orders of magnitude above a small town in terms of population though. For smaller places, I don't think building 1 435 mm tracks in the middle of the town is a great idea.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.