[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

I think it's finally time we discuss this franchise.
>>
>/tv/
>>
File: cc27e582.jpg (56 KB, 580x326)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1260634
>>
>>1260634
Ah, there she is. The face that smashed a thousand boners.
>>
File: r2_1280.jpg (176 KB, 551x800)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>1260641
>>
File: ⠀.jpg (9 KB, 259x195)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1260634
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462KBuAhncU
Obligatory.
>>
>>1260687
This is the most autistic thing I've seen all week.
>>
>>1260692
Why do you people insist on sharing THAT link?
>>
File: 2.png (1.72 MB, 967x659)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
I unironically like The Railway Series books and the early TV episodes that are faithful to the source material. I enjoy rereading them every so often. I guess that makes me autistic.
But something I really like about the books is for the most part the illustrations are realistic, barring the engines having faces of course, they're made to look accurate. I guess I like that, even though the content is aimed at children, there's no dumbing-down of the presentation as if kids are retards who won't comprehend anything but basic shapes.
>>
>>1260897
Are you me? I reread the books about once a year. The Railway Series is probably why I like UK trains more than US ones, honestly.

Also there's an officialbooks lore book for the series that goes into beyond crazy detail.
>>
>>1260977
>listing locomotives in alphabetic instead of numeral order
what the fuck
Also, here's the PDF of the lore book:
https://mega.nz/#!BqIBHIAb!HTx39ywzJ0w_558sZNo1Z-TM9XIWgi8VgbhoQiNIiwY
>>
File: fhm16.jpg (84 KB, 650x536)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1260634
I haven't watched in years, but from what I've seen- they've moved to their movie-style CGI for their television series as well. Can't say I like the choice, I grew up on that model railway style, and will always remember it as such.

What's worse are the toys. I went to Toys R Us (Back when it wasn't yet kill) because I wanted to get my little stepbrother a wooden Thomas train for his birthday. I figured that not too much had changed since when I had stopped playing with them (Besides some new engines or more complex features). I was wrong. They've seemed to have gone for a chunky, minimalist look for the new generation. I have a whole box of my old Thomas trains stored away in a room in my mother's basement, and seeing that convinced me to never let them go. If I ever do get around to starting a family- they ain't playing with the shit I saw in that Toys R Us.
>>
File: 2019 spencer.jpg (11 KB, 480x360)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1260993
The new Thomas Wood stuff feels like a "one step forward, two steps back" kind of deal. On one hand, I like some of the added details(splashers and painted buffers). On the other hand, most of the new cuts are obvious downgrades(no domes, shortening the big engines, tenders are literal blocks on wheels, Stephen). It got so bad that Mattel is ditching the unpainted wood aesthetic and reverting to the original painted wood.
>>
>>1260977
From your post I assume you are not native to the UK? I am, and that's another appeal of the series to me - the earlier books kind of capture that feeling of British rural life of the 40s and 50s. It's nostalgic even though I wasn't alive back then. Just wondering what your opinion is, if any, on that

I also love that the Rev W Awdry went into such minute detail, and all of it (again, barring talking engines) pretty realistic and grounded.
>>
>>1261166
>From your post I assume you are not native to the UK?
I'm from the US. To me, it's like a history book and it definitely helped to shape my interest in British railways and locos. I find it much more interesting than US railways.
>>
>>1261166
I grew up in the UK as well, and I suppose that a lot of the children's books which were introduced to me were those books, though, I must admit that I don't remember all that much from them. There were more unusual aspects I remember, more the fables to try and teach something about morals to kids and whatever.
I also remember the much older television series which used a mix of the eyes moving around and the model trains moving on some sort of model railway system. I think it was on ITV or something, dunno.... at any rate, I think that made me interested in model railways as a kid, though I did grow out of it. My father on the other hand kept being interested in model railways throughout his life, and in retirement, started looking into modelling narrow gauge railways which were around in the 1950s not far from where he grew up. I don't think he's interested in the actual setup of it, but rather having the models.....
Eh.... I find it somewhat ironic that of all things, I'm actually far more interested in modern and high speed rail than steam trains. While they are quaint, HSR is the future, and perhaps we will see another, albeit different, golden age of rail. We might only see it in Europe and Asia, but I'm excited for it.
>>1261173
A lot of the British railways are shit now. One of the big reasons is the fact that many railways failed to upgrade from their Victorian construction. I much prefer modern European railways over British ones, but that said, a lot of the Germanic steam locomotives were much more impressive, at least for their size and power as long distance locomotives.
Ultimately, Britain has one man to blame for this: Beeching.
>>
File: GranpuffRS3.png (2.19 MB, 1024x694)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
>>1261173
I see. I also prefer UK railways but that's probably home bias as it's naturally the one I grew up learning about.
Is there any sort of American equivalent to Thomas, a series of stories about US locomotives? As far as I can recall there's only one American loco in the whole of The Railway Series, and he only appears in a flashback as a rude, reckless asshole who gets turned into a pumping engine as punishment. Doesn't exactly leave the best impression on a kid as to what US engines are like.
>>
>>1261213
Can't you Americans accept ANYTHING we make without dumbing it down and begging for diversity?
>>
File: whoslaughingnowoldman.png (130 KB, 831x411)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>1261213
>Is there any sort of American equivalent to Thomas, a series of stories about US locomotives?
As far as the realism/historic side of things goes? Nope. Thomas was pretty unique in that respect.

>As far as I can recall there's only one American loco in the whole of The Railway Series, and he only appears in a flashback as a rude, reckless asshole who gets turned into a pumping engine as punishment.
I'd like to think he gets the last laugh in the end.
>>
File: jrjdvqcf69g11.png (209 KB, 518x375)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>1260634
>Alec Baldwin is NOT MY CONDUCTOR!!!
>>
File: DtU0IzXVsAAulHE.jpg (40 KB, 552x409)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>"The model series was great"
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (65 KB, 1280x720)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1260634
>I'm just gonna leave this here. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=icsYSMteCTo

The new series is something specially stupid. The only upside is spillover interest into HO scale trains and classic Thomas on Amazon Prime. My 4 year old likes new, 16 month old like old. Starts yelling excitedly when I select Prime on the Roku.
>>
>>1261313
The model series was much better than the weird CGI stuff these days.
I'll admit that it wasn't the greatest, but at least it had a certain charm to it, which the CGI doesn't have.
>>
File: 391-025IMG_3957.jpg (109 KB, 1535x796)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>1261213
>rude, reckless asshole who gets turned into a pumping engine as punishment.
Considering he was made to order for French railways, he shouldn't even be behaving like an American stereotype.
>>
>>1261317
Season 17 - 21 were good though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4be73NBz_v8
>>
>>1261462
>season 21
>good
no
>>
>>1261253
Fuck are you on about, I'm from the UK too ya silly cunt. I just thought it was amusing that the one instance of an American loco is as stereotypical as possible
>>
File: EscapeRS6.png (484 KB, 640x434)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
>>1260897
John T. Kenney's illustrations were the most accurate of any of the illustrators, but I think the Gunvor/Peter Edwards paintings (as you posted) have so much more feeling to them. They also likely made a lot of kids (including me) aware of the horrible state of steam conservation efforts in Britain at the time.
>>
File: baldwinsdr-L[1].jpg (157 KB, 800x488)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>1261453
He was still built in the US so it's possible he picked up those mannerisms before he was shipped out.
>>
Reminder that pic related is official art. The Thomas the Tank Engine universe is fucking dark when you take the time to look into it.
>>
>>1261543
Not to mention that in the official lore, the "original" Henry was an unauthorized Gresley A1 knockoff that the Fat Controller was scammed into buying, and who had constant performance problems. After he derailed the Flying Kipper and nearly killed a work crew, he was sent away and returned a few weeks later... "rebuilt" as a Stanier 5MT. That's a pretty drastic change. Unless they had some kind of mahou shoujo locomotive transformation wand at Crewe, it's highly probable that the original Henry was just scrapped, and the Fat Controller bought a normal 5MT, painted it green, and told the other engines it was Henry. That's fucked up.
>>
File: henry.png (225 KB, 590x742)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>1261554
I cropped this out of the lore book just for you anon.
>>
File: Hank.png (364 KB, 482x416)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
So
Lets talk about this guy
>>
>>1261463
Yes. You're probably thinking of season 22, which is introducing all the PC shit.
>>
>>1261538
Doubt it. He would've probably been placed on a boat as soon as he was out of the works.
>>
>>1261554
>>1261556
Henry was probably this thing.
>>
>>1261560
Did you know that Nigel Gresley used the K4s as the basis for his A1s?
>>
>>1261556
cheers mate!
>>
>>1261571
>a shed for edward
>good
no
>>
>>1261181
I'd be inclined to blame Marples more for the state of the railways. Beeching was just an appointed technocrat.
>>
You can get good /co/ threads on this.
>>
File: 1327404344183.jpg (5 KB, 200x174)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I'm with the "I grew up with the original books and model TV series and the new politically correct, diversity for diversity's sake CGI series is crap" crowd.
>>
>>1261574
Henry didn't exist. Not in the way you think, Henry's basis never existed. Henry WAS that locomotive, and he proved a failure, so why build 2?
>>
File: BadLookOutRS6.png (1.08 MB, 1198x807)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>1261543
>>1261554
Adding to this, the mountain engine Godred recklessly came off the rails and fell down a mountainside on the line's opening day. As punishment (because safety is triply important on a mountain railway) he was left at the back of the shed and never repaired. Cannibalised for spare parts until there was nothing left.

>>1261533
I agree. The expressions were also some of the best, pic related.

>>1261704
Anyone capable of critical thought is.
>>
>>1261453
>>1261538
>>1261572
>“No. 2", said Duke. "Was American and very cocky. He rode roughly and often came off the rails. I warned him to be careful!"
>"Listen, bud!", he drawled. "In the States, we don't care a dime for a few spills!"

That would imply he worked in the states at least for a little while, to have learned that "we" (they) "don't care a dime for a few spills".
>>
>>1261794
>Three steam locomotive type drawings were sent to Baldwin Works (finance guaranteed by the French Government) for production of C n2t, 2C n2t, and light Mallet BB n4v for 600 mm (1 ft 11 58 in) gauge lines. With the usual American liberty, Baldwin Drawing Office produced their "version Americaine" of these locomotive types. The first C n2t (based to Decauville design) came out in November 1914 and the first batch of 2C n2t in January 1915. Only two more batches were built for the French.

>The reason why the British War Office decided to adopt the type as its principal military steam locomotive is uncertain but Baldwin started production in 1916 and built 495 locomotives between October 1916 and April 1917. All were delivered except for nine which were lost at sea.[1]

Maybe Awdry just got some of his research wrong.
>>
>>1261677
"A Shed for Edward" and "The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor" are the only bad episodes of that season. The rest all range from good to meh, at least.
>>
>>1261847
>>1261794
Isn't it entirely possible that No. 2 picked the idea up from American engines that were getting refit or rebuilt at Baldwin while he was being built?
>>
>>1261709
>Henry WAS that locomotive, and he proved a failure, so why build 2?
See >>1261556
>Nothing was proved, but it was alleged that a Locomotive Builder with a grudge against Gresley had engineer a "leak" so as to steal a march on him. His spy, however, blundered and took the wrong drawings. The mistake was discovered too late.
There was never supposed to be a second engine of this type, but it(Henry) was built because the spy fucked up his job. The original prototype was scrapped.
>>
>>1261852
Maybe, but it doesn't make much sense that he would keep this ideology well through WWI.
>>
File: Edward'sExploitRS3.png (1.35 MB, 969x647)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>1261852
>>1261854
Could just be a pride of heritage type deal. Ironically, human Americans like to make a big deal about their heritage in this same way, "I'm part cherokee/half Irish/quarter german so blah blah blah". If the locos at Baldwin had this attitude he could have learned it from them. If they boasted about how the states don't care too much about railway accidents he'd have had no way of knowing how full of shit they were, having never worked there in his life.

>>1261543
>>1261688
Whenever we get threads like this the scrapyard illustration or Henry getting bricked up in the tunnel are ALWAYS posted, but for me the worst has always been the accident in pic related, Edward's Exploit. Even as a kid I thought it looked painful. It's the equivalent of breaking your leg whilst running and having the shin bone flip up and stab you in the stomach.
>>
>>1262127
>>1261853
>>1261793
>>1261556
Jesus H Christ
I know very little about the show itself, but I thought that Shed 17 is just a creation of a sick mind, but maybe both things have the same creator.

Shed 17 is canon!!!
>>
I’ve been waiting this comment for awhile
>>
File: ToadStandsByRS5.png (570 KB, 640x436)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
>>1262133
>>1262127
are we not going to mention the two separate stories in which sentient wagons are crushed to death (Douglas with the brake van, and in pic related, after Duck straight-up tells Oliver to do it)? and which both end with the moral that the other wagons, presumably fearful of being destroyed, stop giving the engines trouble?
>>
File: 1534338290790.jpg (188 KB, 848x956)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>1262135
fuckin nice
>>
>>1260897
It is erroneous to assume content for children need to be dumbed down anyway, that's obscurantism.
>>
There was a really hilarious post on the last Thomas thread from a few months back. One poster posited that it is obvious that Thomas was created to help autistic children, to which another anon responded that autism was probably the last thing on Awdry's mind when he created Thomas. Really enjoyed those two posts.
>>
>>1262302
> One poster posited that it is obvious that Thomas was created to help autistic children
As a fan of the books it saddens me a bit when people start theorising about the corporate strategies behind Thomas's creation, as if the fact that it started out as a bedtime story for a train-loving vicar's poorly son is some kind of arcane knowledge. In fact the existence of Rev. W. Awdry or even the fact that the series was adapted from books seems to be largely unknown these days.
Yes, after it was adapted for TV no doubt all kinds of personal/business/political agendas were funnelled into it over the years, but the stories themselves were written with no intent other than entertain and educate the most simple of morals.

>>1262234
The thing is, Thomas' world (in the books at least) is 99% true to reality, the only difference being machines are sentient and can talk. They are still judged on their effectiveness and usefulness, just as we would do in reality. If a truck refuses to haul freight smoothly, if an engine refuses to operate trains, what good are they? This is why in the stories they sometimes need to be taught to do the job they were literally created for.

How about an anti-dark moment, where Thomas crashes into a fucking house and not only is everyone fine, but the wife's only complaint is that breakfast is ruined and now she'll have to cook some more?
>>
>>1262300
I agree wholeheartedly, but it seems that no-one creating children's media feels the same way these days.
>>
>>1262309
That's why series like Pretty Cure are nice
>>
File: 3801%20Locomotive_Flickr.jpg (1.94 MB, 2208x1253)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
One big missed opportunity for the current series is that there are episodes where Thomas is on railways in different countries, but they refuse to use the real historical locos that run them. I mean, we can have the Flying Scotsman, Green Arrow, Mallard, Duchess of Hamilton, and the Bluebell engines, but we can't have 844, 3801, Fairy Queen, etc. Instead, we get a bunch of OC donut steel engines like Rajiv. Also, all the rolling stock is just copypaste British stock.
>>
>>1262690
This is what happens when you feed Gordon steroids
>>
>>1262690
>'Henry takes steroids and other stories"
>>
>>1262690
looks like a dildo on wheels, moreso than your average steam engine
>>
>>1262690
Steam powered SCUD missile.
>>
File: IMG_0437.jpg (104 KB, 800x522)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>1261574
I found a more accurate image
>>
File: big-boy-4012.jpg (232 KB, 1200x659)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>1262307
>How about an anti-dark moment, where Thomas crashes into a fucking house and not only is everyone fine, but the wife's only complaint is that breakfast is ruined and now she'll have to cook some more?

Kek. You're funny. Are you a writer by hobby?

Oh, here's a Union Pacific Big Boy... for (you).
>>
>>1262993
Range slightly greater than regular SCUD.
>>
Wasn't a big reason for Henry's rebuild due to dissatisfaction with the first artist and his refusal to look at real trains?

"Here's a real LMS locomotive, look at it!"
>>
>>1260977
What's the name of the book?
>>
>>1263488
Actually Awdry originally wanted Henry Killed off. It was the publishers insistence that Henry still exist
>>
>>1263655
Not so much killed off as left to rot, if I recall. He wanted him left in that tunnel forever, for the egregious crime of not wanting to work. The publishers refused to publish unless Henry got to leave the tunnel.
>>
>>1263493
The Island of Sodor: Its People, History, and Railways. Pdf link here >>1260982
>>
>>1263694
>https://mega.nz/#!BqIBHIAb!HTx39ywzJ0w_558sZNo1Z-TM9XIWgi8VgbhoQiNIiwY
Thanks!
>>
>>1263693
I was referring to the original ending to "the Flying kipper" but yeah that also kinda happened
>>
>>1263693
>>1263822
It does strike me as odd that despite that they never insisted they change the end of "The Sad Story of Henry", where the Fat Director says he will be left there "for always and always and always". Even the TV series used that line. Makes Topham look a little weak for going back on his word in the very next story
>>
>>1263488
Yes. It didn't help that at the end of the first book, Henry is painted blue, which coupled with the artist's inaccuracies made him indistinguishable from Gordon at times. Pic related is the worst offender; Awdry had to respond to a fan letter asking about the inaccuracy explaining Henry had been temporarily fitted with a set of Gordon's square buffers.
I remember as a kid not being sure if the engine here was meant to be Edward or Gordon - even the face doesn't really resemble Henry, who was previously (and since) drawn with a straighter nose.
>>
File: ThomasandtheGuardRS3.png (1.36 MB, 976x661)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>1263488
>>1263930
Oops, here's the pic.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.