[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: car-house.png (908 KB, 400x2200)
908 KB
908 KB PNG
what kind of housing is most comfy for the /n/ lifestyle?
>>
>>1257257
those rowhouses and three story walkups are dense enough to support heavy rail and are more comfy than apartments for me
>>
>>1257257
Does anyone have a link to that video which had a bunch of NIMBYs at a council planning meeting interspersed with wrestlers suplexing people and calling it a quadruplex?
>>
In preferred order:
3>4>11>1
>>
File: 94894815665.jpg (396 KB, 600x400)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
>>1257257
fixie in a midwestern brick multiflat about 5-10 miles away from the heart of the city.
>>
>>1257257
Housing is not “comfy” it goes against our hunter-gatherer instincts and needs.
>>
>>1259811
It's literally comfortable
>>
House in the suburbs and a car and a road bike to ride on the perfect tarmac is the best.
>>
commie blocks or boats
>>
>>1257257
Medium density housing close to regional train system which connects to a major long distance station, and with rapid transit in the city.
If it takes about 20 minutes from something that's more dense than American suburbia, but less dense than British towns, then that's the perfect system to have. Fully integrated regional rail with a city's rapid transit, like can be seen in Germany and Austria (or taken to a national level like in Switzerland) can be great, as it means you can be in whatever part of the city within the hour while also having a relatively quiet place to live.
>>
>>1257257
>live in small-ish commieblock
>live near tram/light rail hybrid
Pretty accurate chart
>>
I live in commieblock (khrushevka in moscow) in 3 minute walk from subway station.

It is good for you when you are 20-30 year old - you don't need much for living (2 small rooms (for 600$/m) is more then enough for me and my wife) and have option to get wherever you need quickly and cheap (50cent for a ride).

But when when we will have a child we'll move to a bigger flat or a house.
Somewhere in suburbs near new city railroad + buy a car.

I think city is a complex system and there is a place for various type of housing (from one-family home to commieblock) and transportation systems.
>>
>>1260023
>khrushevka
While they fit the definition of "commieblock", they're pretty unusual compared to the more infamous Brezhnevka.
I've been in a number of different Khruschevkas around the former USSR and some similar designs in the former Eastern Bloc, but they're more..... classy, and they're extremely pleasant if they've been modernised.
Brezhnevkas though, they're total garbage, and they deserve to be knocked down and replaced.
No idea about modern constructions in Russia though. It's been a long time since I was last there, and I've not heard positive things. Kyiv has had a lot of nice, new buildings built. Tbilisi is lagging behind though.
>>
>>1257257
Suburbs are superior. But I will never buy an SUV, since I don't want to hear "bank angle" and "terrain" warning.
>>
>>1260023
I moved from that shithole... Commie blocks sucks, man. Without carpets of floor you will hear every fucking fart of neighbors, also some pidory ponaehavshie will flood you at some point.
Suburbs are 20/10, no wonder best nation in the world lives in them. No need in hammer-drill in order to redo wiring, all water pipes are in basement and easily accessible, drywall are straight, unlike brick/concrete. No fight for parking space.
Subway is the real meme in Moscow. I used suburban trains and buses/trams, it was faster, and quite empty, since goyim don't know about this. But before Sobyanin shit I just drove a car, like a white straight man, with heater, and radio.

If I had an option to nuke some cities - I'd definitely nuke Moscow and other default cities.
>>
>>1257257
This out in the boonies would be maximum comfy
>>
>>1259803
Four plex city, bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=kvA_DtvW4u0
>>
>>1260038
My krhushevka is made with bricks, not so panels. So it quite warm and good noise protection (I heard neighbours only once in last year and it was his wife screams during sex... I was not even mad - this beast was fucking her hard for 15 minutes non stop).

Nah, fuck American subways. Car industry cucked American cities. Good city is comfortable for walking.

Europe cities are better organized. We need to transform soviet commiblock cities in more europe-like(3-6 floor max, good public transport, mix zoning)
>>
File: 1575278.jpg (177 KB, 899x556)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>1260036
>No idea about modern constructions in >Russia though.
I present to you modern Russian houses.

For Your Information: in soviet time architecture would be sent to gulag for this monstrosity - soviet commieblocks looks ugly but there is a tons of requirements(green areas with trees, near by infrastructure and etc) on them and you see city planners were thinking how people are gonna live in them. Modern development company just want to sell, sell, sell.
>>
>>1260038
>Subway is the real meme in Moscow. I >used suburban trains and buses/trams
It is just impossible. Before sobyanin busses didn't have bus lanes and trams were old and slow. And even after sobyanin transport reform metro is will superior.

I was in London, Madrid, Athene, Berlin, Paris,Warsaw - Moscow metro is the most clean, nice and efficient. Crowdy in rush hours - yes. But they already built second circle line (MCC), and are building third circle line and also 5 light railroads going through the city (like RER in Paris or S-hahn in Berlin)which might will decrease crowds.
>>
>>1260084
American suburbs*
>>
>>1260085
Is this Hong Kong?
I don't get it, Russia has shitton of space to develop. While it certainly doesn't need to go full US suburbia sprawl mode, there should be enough room for less dense projects, shouldn't it? Or is this what corruption looks like?
>>
medium density housing with trams
>>
File: 00s.jpg (382 KB, 1100x724)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
>>1260090
Reasons:
- poor population
- high demand for housing
- low experience in quality house development (old soviet school)
- developer's greed
- state support those developers who built as much flats as possible (it is political reason - to decreace social unrest).

There are some developers who decided to build less dense ... And built "auschwitz".
>>
File: 13.jpg (320 KB, 1100x733)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>1260090
Good thing there a lot of people who traveled to Europe and understand what is good housing. So slowly demand for decent houses is increasing. Some developers already understand the trend, and , thought they still built commieblicks, they try to prettify them
>>
>>1260094
Fuck that looks like hell. And there's a fucking Leroy Merlin in it.

>>1260095
Pretty. Would like to see the face of that cladding in a few years though.
>>
>>1260094
>>1260106
>Leroy merlin in russia

Wtf? i though they weren't popular enough to move out of france and it's surroundings
>>
>>1260107
Spain is full of them too. I think there is a correlation with fucked up urbanism and presence of fucking Leroy Merlin and other french retail stores
>>
>>1260107
Heh, I worked on LM IT project for half a year (were doing automated regression testing for inner system). They are a big market player in russia. Top 3, I guess.
>>
>>1260094
>developer's greed
Yeah no shit, they are not some charity. "Developers are greedy" is literally the worst of NIMBY arguments. Their greed is backed by actual demand for housing.
Russia has, like America, some stupid regulations like setbacks and parking minimums. Good housing wouldn't be so expensive if it didn't have to pander to agers' and NIMBYs' whims.
>>
>>1260090
> Hong Kong
Why don't you look across the border for commieblocks and microdistricts?
>>
>>1260090
>there should be enough room for less dense projects, shouldn't it
There's plenty, but it's easier and much cheaper for the developer to bribe their way to hook up to existing mains in the old block than build new ones in the middle of nowhere (as well as roads, schools, shops, etc.) By the time new homeowners happy with cheap housing realize overloaded shit's breaking down all the time, there are twice as much cars in the block than the possible parking spots (lawns included), the only freeway out is in traffic jam 24/7 and all you see from the window is next building at the cigarette butt throw distance the developer's long gone and it's not like they can legally complain anyways because they wanted it cheap and didn't mind the fine print back then.
>>
>>1260090
Or like in >>1260085 pic, try to squeeze as much as possible on as little land as they can as well as get away with the absolute minimum of infrastructure required by law to keep the costs low.
>>
>>1260084
>My krhushevka is made with bricks, not so panels
They all are the same.
>So it quite warm
They have relatively poor thermal insulation, but central heat fixes it.
>good noise protection
It is difficult to make a good noise protection. Even European commie blocks suffer from this.
>Europe cities are better organized.
Yep, European cities are better designed, and they didn't fell for 9000 stories meme, like Moscow did in 80's until now. And they feel much more comfortable, even though they are nearly identical commie blocks.
>We need to transform soviet commiblock cities in more europe-like(3-6 floor max, good public transport, mix zoning)
It would be a good idea to build a underground parking, or at least put building enough far apart, so there will be no fight for parking lot, and no shitboxes near entrance.
>>1260087
>It is just impossible. Before sobyanin busses didn't have bus lanes and trams were old and slow. And even after sobyanin transport reform metro is will superior.
Bus lanes are meme, since it creates more traffic, dangerous situations (just look on marking near turns and camera placement), and bus will end up it traffic anyway.
Bus lanes could be done properly, but that wasn't a purpose. Sobyanin made it for money.
> But they already built second circle line (MCC)
Except they didn't built it, just electrified.
>5 light railroads going through the city (like RER in Paris or S-hahn in Berlin)which might will decrease crowds.
Suburban train lines are close enough. For ex: Paveletsky heading. There are a lot of short trains that go to Birulevo, and Domodedo (and Airport...). Interval is like 10-15 minutes, good enough.
Or Kurskoe heading...
It replaced for me 9, 2, 7, 10 lines, even though I lived withing 6 minutes of walking to subway. If combined with bus or some e-scooter (which are pretty usable in winter) it is top way to get around in Moscow.
>>1260088
No, they are max comfy.
>>
>>1260120
btw, driving car in Moscow now requires a cabin crew of at least 2 people now, since one should drive, other should be looking for cameras and shit.
>>
>>1260120
>or at least put building enough far apart, so there will be no fight for parking lot
>if we build an even more unwalkable hellhole, finally there would be enough place for cars.
This is what nimbys actually believe
No. It doesn't work like that. There's never enough place for cagers. Remember, large distances = bad. Density = good.
European cities are so comfortable because there weren't cages around when they were built.
>>
File: 1542523534699.png (91 KB, 187x200)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
Holy shit this place looks exceptionally comfy.
>>
>>1260050
>>1259803
It was everything I had hoped for and more.

>>1260085
>>1260094
>>1260095
There's nothing inherently wrong with "Projects" like these. Just make sure that they're broken up by attractive public spaces and recreational areas, and that transportation and everyday necessities are in reach. Avoid ghettoization at all costs.
>>
File: hangars-plane-storage.jpg (35 KB, 522x369)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1260041
Why bother with this expensive door setup though if it's in the boonies anyway? Just build a cheap open steel hangar.
>>
>>1260132
>large distances = bad. Density = good.
large distances = bad. Density = bad.
>>
>>1260142
>large distances = bad. Density = bad.
There's a contradiction here, don't you think?
>>
>>1260145
No. Density is bad, and large distances are bad.
But large distances>>>>shit>density
>>
Both are equally bad when people living in a housing sprawling over large area have to commute to densely packed businesses.
>>
>>1257257
>the /n/ lifestyle
Since this is 4chan, I'd have to say 'cardboard box in an alleyway'.
>>
>>1257257
The chart needs one more tier- a cyberpunk arcology with the elevator as the mode of transportation.
>>
>>1260111
> Their greed is backed by actual demand for housing.

So much this.

Developers don't build houses and apartments for shits and giggles.

I live in a city with old housing. We recently had a boom in "luxury" apartments, but people cry about the lack of new cheap apartments walking distance from everything. You can't have it both ways. It costs a bit more to make new construction "luxury" which attracts less cost conscious renters who pay for the building over the first few years. Meanwhile we have walk-able small towns with transit to the city that are dying.

>nice
>close to things
>cheap

Pick 2
>>
>>1260151
No density = no public transit
>>
>hate apartments
>hate living in a city center
>want things relatively close by
>want lots of space
What do?
>>
>>1260348
Commit sudoku. Or get a car, it makes world closer... Or a bike, if you live in rain-free area. (snow is OK tho).
>>
>>1260203
We have more empty houses than homeless
>>
>>1260348
Find a better city.
I lived in Toronto "suburbs" where every suburb "has its own skyline." And those suburbs and downtown are all connected by the TTC. It was by far the best place I've lived in.
>>
>>1259807
Found the fellow Minnesotan.
>>
>>1260111
What I meant by "greed" is that they use as cheap materials as possible, sell house and then vanish, and another house management company is responsible to maintain shit they built.
>>
>>1260359
If you're concerned about the homeless, go build a house and give it away for free. Or shit, even invite a few homeless people to stay in your home. That's right, you wont, faggot.
>>
>>1260449
If you're really concerned about homeless, hire them and provide a room... And a shaver with some soap.
>>
>>1257257
>>
File: MaxComfyAdjustment.jpg (56 KB, 400x204)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1257257
#6 has been altered via third party for maximum comfy.
>>
File: acorn st dusk.jpg (203 KB, 500x461)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>1260133
Boston's Beacon Hill and Back Bay neighborhoods have lots of elegant brownstone buildings, narrow, low- and no-traffic streets, lots of green space and tree coverage. The quality of light in these neighborhoods is pretty spectacular as a result of the walled-in design and foliage shielding and screening from direct sunlight, and nighttime walks in the winter among the softly-glowing yellow lamps are hopelessly romantic. I really can't wait for more snow to fall here. (Although I'm half sure they've gone and fucked it all up by now with LEDs, as Rome has done. It irks me to no end that only fiscally responsible, energy-efficient change most cities are willing to make is one of the only ones that actually reduces our quality of life.)

These neighborhoods are also notoriously expensive even by local standards. Although rapid transit is pretty accessible here, it's also figuratively beneath most of the actual residents. My mother lived in the pictured neighborhood, Beacon Hill, as a student working at a bookstore. Today she would have to be a Dean of Students at least to make rent.

The North End neighborhood has similar appeals but I've never spent much time there.
>>
>>1260151
As someone who lives in rural American I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong. I'd rather be packed like sardines than be a 30+min drive, without traffic, like I am now.
>>
>>1262103
>Although I'm half sure they've gone and fucked it all up by now with LEDs
man this fucking angers me as well.
>>
>>1262232
Nigga, they have low color temp LEDs. Or you can put a fucking filter on the lamp itself.
>>
File: ashiki sailing.jpg (187 KB, 1200x736)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
maximum freedums
>>
>>1260085
>For Your Information: in soviet time architecture would be sent to gulag for this monstrosity - soviet commieblocks looks ugly but there is a tons of requirements(green areas with trees, near by infrastructure and etc) on them and you see city planners were thinking how people are gonna live in them. Modern development company just want to sell, sell, sell.
Same in ex-Yugoslavian countries and even in western European countries.

Architects these days are like manchildren playing with lego bricks..., state level regulations are anti urbanist and anti customer allowing developers building cheap, ugly and uninspired shit and sell it for maximal profit..., that's all.

I think housing architecture of our time period will be seen as abysmal in the future.,
>>
>>1260085
I wish we had this in bay area.
>>
>>1262228
>be former Wyomingfag
>visit city
>oh my god the traffic, it takes ages to get anywhere
> go back home and drive an hour and a half each way to get groceries
Once I drove four and a half hours one way because I needed to go to an Apple store in person.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.