[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: _n.jpg (1.05 MB, 1080x1080)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Florida CFI Endless Bummer Edition

Welcome to the /gag/~

/gag/ is dedicated to all the pilots and pilot applicants out there, and although the name suggests otherwise, airline, military, and charter discussion is welcome. Keep it on topic, keep the shit throwing to a minimum.

Old: >>1247015
>>
>>1256986
Boi this better either be near SUA or FPR cuz I know this coastline
>>
>>1256990
its nearby yeah
>>
Any military pilots in here?
>>
It's interesting to see how in 30 years of this raid, pilots got older and the planes got smaller and lighter.

http://www.rtsl.fr/rallye_2019/html/videos_youtube.html
>>
why are hot air balloons so expensive?
>>
anbody know much about working for Planesense? Training/how many hours you fly/contract? I just applied with 1,000hrs
>>
Oh no not another episode of “Sunday traffic patterns at the best breakfast spot around.”
>>
My school has some serious safety issues and won't refund the money for the hours that i haven't flown (Almost all of them). Should I sue them?

Europe btw
>>
>>1256986
Any advice for new student pilots starting out?
>>
>>1257001
Yeah what's up
>>
>>1257570
Right rudder
>>
>>1257670
Please explain this meme.
Is this caused by spinning prop, and this affects only single-engine AC?
>>
this thread is a lot slower than the last one

do you all hibernate at the first sign of frost?
>>
>>1257693
Keep trying to take a picture when I’m up but I keep forgetting. Also had 2 flights cancel today; one for student not knowing his stuff and the other for lack of resources.

>>1257672
God I wish it were a meme. It’s cause by spiraling slipstream (propwash hitting the vertical stabilizer and pushing on the rudder), torque (equal and opposite reaction from the engine’s rotation), and P-factor (descending blade has a higher AoA than the ascending blade at high power, high AoA, and low speeds causing asymmetrical thrust from the propeller). New pilots and applicants just don’t add rudder cause they get fixated on other stuff and half of the flight is uncoordinated. They are frequently reminded to use more right rudder.
>>
Any advice for someone who´s dreamed of becoming a commercial pilot since age 6, but lives in a shithole in central america which has no flight schools and can´t really afford one atm, guess I still got time since I´m just about to turn 19, but I still don´t know how to get there
>>
File: IMG631.jpg (636 KB, 1536x2048)
636 KB
636 KB JPG
>>1257709
Start with having rich parents. Relocating to another state would not be such a big deal.
>>1257700
Sounds like you're flying on untrimmed a/c.
You may need to apply a lot of left/right rudder on descend/takeoff, but the rudder should be trimmed in such a way that you don't have to apply a lot of pressure on cruise. I used to fly on a lawn chair like that. Rudder was trimmed with a bungee cord. After 3 hours of xc my right foot was getting very tired.
>>
>>1257700
>Keep trying to take a picture when I’m up but I keep forgetting
Why don't you take someone to take pictures for you?
>>
>>1257709
Military? But they won't hire basedboys.
I think Sopa-de-Macaco has some flight schools for sure.
>>
>>1257700
>God I wish it were a meme. It’s cause by spiraling slipstream (propwash hitting the vertical stabilizer and pushing on the rudder), torque (equal and opposite reaction from the engine’s rotation), and P-factor (descending blade has a higher AoA than the ascending blade at high power, high AoA, and low speeds causing asymmetrical thrust from the propeller).
So... It is caused by single prop spinning, right?
>>
>TFW the Florida winter is beginning
enjoy your snow faggots
>>
>>1256986
How do I learn 'foxtrot uniform Charlie kilo India November golf' phonetic alphabet?
>>
>>1257779
buy a kneeboard and actually fly
>>
>>1257782
But seriously?
>>
>>1257787
git gud, memorize that shit and fly a lot so you'll ease into it. when I started out I didn't know shit for radio but eventually I got better at it the more I flew
>>
>>1257779
Literacy say the NATO phonetic alphabet in order a lot. It’ll come.
>>
Planefags i am visiting San Diego and can someone please explain why the airport is located in the CENTER of the city and is a massive annoyance every 8 minutes REEEEEEEEEE I understand getting to the airport in 5 minutes is a blessing but why as opposed to my local airport (DIA) I would rather drive the 45 minutes into the middle of nowhere than live with this
>>
File: IMG613.jpg (475 KB, 2048x1536)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>1257779
Spell adverts, plate numbers of the passing by cars when you're driving/walking. Helped me a lot. Even better if you can do it out loud without attracting too much of unwanted attention.
>>
>>1257868
lmfao like there's any other feasible location for an airport anywhere near SD, just get a different hotel faget
>>
>>1257595
I applied to my country's air force (Canada). I got a good score on my aptitude test but I'm preparing for my interview at the moment. If you don't mind I'd like to ask some questions.
What aircraft do you fly?
Why did you decide to become a pilot in the military specifically?
What's an average day entail for you?
What was the most difficult part of the application process?
How did you deal with the more difficult parts of your application?

Thanks in advance, anon.
>>
>>1257769
>TFW the Hawiian slightly cool and ranier season begins.

Enjoy your sub 60 temperatures faggots.
>>
>>1257750
I get busy trying to fit all the shit into the allotted time while my student drags their feet on checklists and procedures.

>>1257747
>untrimmed aircraft
All three of the aforementioned factors of left turning tendencies occur at high AoA, low airspeed, and high power setting. If the aircraft needs constant rudder pressure during level flight the ground-adjustable tab on the rudder isn't set correctly or the rudder cables aren't tensioned properly.

>>1257761
It is caused by the engine and propeller, yes. It affects multi engine planes arguably worse because you now have twice the torque and P-factor.
>>
>>1257996
>student drags their feet on checklists and procedures
ffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkckk
Literally everyday i remind myself multiple times that A) the student needs to learn this and B) every .1 they waste doing checklist i get paid to do nothing
>>
>>1257997
How do you like being a CFI?
>>
File: flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg (39 KB, 387x550)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1258001
>>
File: 5478885332165979853.jpg (83 KB, 960x391)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1258004
That says a lot, I have heard mixed things at least. Are you at least logging a decent amount of flight time?
>>
>>1258005
im getting good time yeah, depends on the school though. Im about to the place where i can apply for real jobs
>>
File: 20150208_101737.jpg (1.43 MB, 4128x2322)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>1257996
>the ground-adjustable tab on the rudder isn't set correctly
This is what I meant by
>untrimmed aircraft
That thing on the rudder is called rudder *trim* tab.
>>
>>1257996
>It is caused by the engine and propeller, yes. It affects multi engine planes arguably worse because you now have twice the torque and P-factor.
Why engines can't spin different directions to compensate?
>>
File: Boomerang5507.jpg (546 KB, 1860x1140)
546 KB
546 KB JPG
>>1258021
Some do... those are called "handed" props (bc they are like your hands that way). However, that does add to the cost, and now one engine is more "critical" than the other in case of failure on one side. Overcoming that left-turning tendency depends on the plane design. Size/configuration of the rudder, engine distance and angle from the centerline. Push-pull types (engines in front and rear of the fuselage) cancel each other out. Pic is Burt Rutan's Boomerang... assymetrical and weird-looking af, but it was designed to minimize all of that for easy handling even with an engine failure.
>>
File: Air Force bros.jpg (1.41 MB, 2048x1716)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>1257984
sub 60s is pretty comfy here and it never rains so there's no excuse to not fly
>>
>>1258046
Having propellers on a multiengine aircraft spin in opposite directions removes the critical engine issue.
>>
>>1258046
I'm trying to imagine what the performance and handling issues would be like on this plain if the nose engine failed.
>>
>>1258091
>plain
What's the point of being able to cancel posts before they go through if it doesn't fucking do anything.
>>
File: 20160604_160009.jpg (1.07 MB, 4128x2322)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1258090
This.
But it increases the price. At the very least you'll need "left" and "right" prop, cam shafts, and pickup/magneto locations.
>>
what is the most amount of ice you've picked up in a non-FIKI plane? I got about an inch today on a single engine cessna
>>
>>1258115
I think the most I've gotten is a quarter of an inch.
>>
File: 294722_big[1].jpg (329 KB, 1200x820)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
this thing popped up on my local craigslist

there's no way you could legally fly this in the usa, right? it's multiple-engine, and fucking jet turbines at that, strapped to your feet
>>
>>1258159
Would probably be fine up to a certain altitude.
>>
Why is there still so many MD11
>>
>>1257971
Not the same anon that replied before but I'm a pilot in training in the RCAF.

1. Doing phase 2 on the Harvard right now.

2. it's a lot more exciting than commercial flying, better pay and job security compared to entry-level commercial jobs

3. Average day is spent preparing for your flights, briefing, flying (or getting cancelled due to weather which happens a lot at this time of year) and de-briefing.

4. Aircrew selection in Trenton

5. Study for the mental arithmetic portion of the aircrew selection tests at this website: http://www.speeddistancetime.info/test
>>
an aircraft ive been looking for for a while now has popped up on barnstormers, but the catch is it's in canada (and 30 fuggin hours away by car)

is importing from canada to the usa a nightmare for aircraft, or is it easy? can i just truck it in and call it scrap parts?
>>
>>1258159
Probably counts as an ultralight, no license needed
>>
>>1258159
This thing is supposed to be wired to the ground/sea right? at least that's what I saw from a nearby amusement park
>>
File: 20181122_124312.jpg (351 KB, 2949x1659)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Post pictures.
>>
File: chad-experimental.png (280 KB, 1438x697)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
Mad skills.
>>
>>1258260
Can you 92 gasoline (European octane number) into some Cessna which needs avgas100ll?
>>
>>1258262
No, afaik. Continental is a high compression engine, it may start detonating on a lower octane fuel.
>>
>>1258263
How about this https://generalaviationnews.com/2012/06/04/c150-owner-saves-800-annually-with-autogas/
>>
>>1258263
They have like 7:1 ratio while modern shitbox has 10:1, and yet, shitbox can work on 91 gas
>>
>>1258272
>modern shitbox
They all have injectors and the ignition timing is controlled by a computer.
These engines are designed to adapt and run on low-octane fuel even though they have higher compression ratio. But if you put lower grade fuel into an old carb+magneto engine designed to run on a higher fuel grade - it will probably run ok for a while, until you end up with crooked exhaust valves and spark plugs.
There's also a problem with alcohol contents. Fuel lines and all related rubber parts may start cracking and decomposing unless they are designed with alcohol in mind.

But probably the most important problem is regulations. You can put any donkey piss in your experimental a/c and fly at your own risk, but if you intend to do business, you must adhere to the operator's manual, which states what type of *certified aviation fuel* is acceptable for this specific engine. AFAIK, none of the automotive fuel is cross-certified as an aviation fuel, so chances are none of the certified engine's operation manual has a reference to any type of mogas. Rotax on the other hand has a line of non-certified engines (e.g 912UL). Ops manual for them states which types of aviation or automotive fuels are acceptable. The manual is actually the only difference - certified and non-certified versions are physically the same. The only difference is what you are allowed to do with them. If you put non-certified engine in your plane, the whole a/c becomes non-certified and you're a Chad now.
>>
File: ares front.jpg (6 KB, 296x170)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1258091
Handling would actually be easier than a similar engine failure on a more standard multiengine design. The dead weight of the nose engine is much closer to the good wing engine. So you don't have to bank into the good engine as much, and the drag is on the fuselage, half the distance than a right-wing engine would be... so less rudder needed to stay straight. Less overall drag and easier control, so gives you better chance of getting it back. Weird, but good... making planes symmetrical is more of a habit than a necessity. Burt Rutan designed other asymmetrical planes that also flew great. Pic related....intake on one side, gun on the other, with tilted engine exhaust.
>>
>>1258432
>They all have injectors and the ignition timing is controlled by a computer. These engines are designed to adapt and run on low-octane fuel even though they have higher compression ratio.
Yes, but some 90's shitboxes with carbs had engines with 10:1 compression, and ran on 91 (RON) without any problems. Injection won't magically allow engine to run on donkey a piss.
> but if you intend to do business, you must adhere to the operator's manual
Or be in thirdworld shithole.
>If you put non-certified engine in your plane, the whole a/c becomes non-certified and you're a Chad now.
But can you make non-certified a/c certified by installing certified part back?
I guess I know why nobody cheap on fuel, engines are expensive, there is no 92/95/98 gas in the airports.
>>
File: skyking.jpg (28 KB, 1024x576)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Any CFIs in here? Currently working on my commercial licenses, wanna know how the pay is around the US. I would hope to instruct part time, and fly skydivers on the weekends, always been something I've wanted to do. Just how brutal are the CFI checkrides?
>>
>>1258530
>Yes, but some 90's shitboxes with carbs had engines with 10:1 compression, and ran on 91 (RON) without any problems
Old carburated shitboxes with mechanical ignition used to have compression ratio of about 8:1. And none of them were air-cooled.
>Injection won't magically allow engine to run on donkey a piss.
Injectors + oxygen sensors allow near-perfect stoichiometric mixture regardless of how oxigenated the fuel is or how high is the fuel grade (within reasonable limits).

But I agree, it is not a single thing which does the magic. It is the whole lot of things:
- manifold turbulence
- intentional limit for the peak power output
- water cooling (keeps CHT stable)
- ignition timing (electronic ignition allows superior timing control and this is extremely important for anti-knocking)
- continuous mixture control (go reach if EGT goes too high)

10:1 engine must be specifically designed to run on 91 RON, otherwise it may detonate. Other thing to consider is a safety margin. Having detonation problem in a car is not nearly as bad as having the same thing in a plane. Aircraft engines must be designed to run at a high power setting (WOT during take off, or 75% on cruise), while automotive engines are designed to run at 10-25% most of their life. Given that detonation is most likely to occur on a higher power setting it is also adding to the mix.
>Or be in thirdworld shithole.
Yeah, I've heard horror stories about a fuel contamination at gas pumps in Russia.
>But can you make non-certified a/c certified by installing certified part back?
I don't think so, although regulations may vary depending the country.
Certified a/c must be always maintained by a certified mechanic. If something goes south with the plane, some poor bastard's AMT/AME license is at stake. If you were allowed to tamper with the plane, no one would probably agree to take the blame of releasing it to service, even if it was legally possible.
>>
>>1258678
>>But can you make non-certified a/c certified by installing certified part back?
Although, I'm not sure what would happen if you are AMT your self and doing dodgy stuff to your own experimental a/c and what to get it back to certified state.
>>
>>1258534
The oral and flight for CFI can be a bit long but it depends on both your preparation and your examiner for how rough it’s gonna be. Just remember to give the important ideas, reference the ACS, and have a source for everything you say.
>>
>>1258530
>I guess I know why nobody cheap on fuel, engines are expensive, there is no 92/95/98 gas in the airports.
I've heard an interesting story about an ultralight club trying to set up an official mogas pump at the field. They've got the figures and made arrangements with one of the major fuel supplier.
Supplier was initially very happy and even offered a huge discount. Club got the county and the aviation authority approval. The pump and the tank was successfully installed at the supplier's expenses. But when the time came to actually fill the tank, the supplier suddenly pulled out. They had to dismantle the pump and take it back at their own expense.
Turns out that someone at the very top of the company heard that they will officially supply fuel to an airfield and has instantly terminated the contract. I can only speculate why they've done it, but it seems to be very reasonable to me.
Imagine you are a fuel supplier and must adhere to certain automotive fuel standards. What's the worst which could happen if you occasionally don't? Someone's car may stop somewhere and if the guy is smart enough to go with an investigation which will point back at the bad fuel in your pump, you, as a pump owner, would have to pay for the repairs and promise that this will never happen again. But what if some one died in a plane crash and compulsory investigation points back at you? First of all, it's going to be all over the media. Then you'll have to deal with dead bodies and aviation authority lawyers at the court.
>>
>>1258678
>Certified a/c must be always maintained by a certified mechanic. If something goes south with the plane, some poor bastard's AMT/AME license is at stake. If you were allowed to tamper with the plane, no one would probably agree to take the blame of releasing it to service, even if it was legally possible.
I didn't know that.
I guess it would be much cheaper to get an experimental amateur built (modified) a/c. It would be cheaper from the beginning (since it can't fly commercially anymore), and it will be cheaper, since non-certified mechanic (owner) can service it. Btw, can you fly experimental with friends and other pax?
Anyway, I think it is possible to make in normal again, but it would be expensive (paperwork and so on).
>>1258679
As long as it is not documented it is fine, but it is semi-legal.
>Imagine you are a fuel supplier and must adhere to certain automotive fuel standards. What's the worst which could happen if you occasionally don't? Someone's car may stop somewhere and if the guy is smart enough to go with an investigation which will point back at the bad fuel in your pump, you, as a pump owner, would have to pay for the repairs and promise that this will never happen again.
This is literally what was happening in Russia. It is Russian roulette, gas might be fine, and next day they will fill natural donkey piss.
>But what if some one died in a plane crash and compulsory investigation points back at you?
Dead can't sue. But this rule will work only for individuals.
Worst case if plane crashes, people got injured. You might end up paying for medical, for airplane repair/replacement...
>First of all, it's going to be all over the media.
Media is cool to general aviation. They are even cool to freight crashes.
>>
>>1258706
>I guess it would be much cheaper to get an experimental amateur built (modified) a/c.
Experimental/ultralight/microlight regulations are different depending on the country.
It is not so unusual to sell used 10 years old non-certified 2-seater a/c for +$100,000.
>It would be cheaper from the beginning (since it can't fly commercially anymore), and it will be cheaper, since non-certified mechanic (owner) can service it.
Yes, it is usually much cheaper to maintain non-certified aircraft, even if you're not doing it yourself. Although there is nothing complicated about changing the oil and the oil filter yourself, which is a major part of the 50/100 hour checks.
> Btw, can you fly experimental with friends and other pax?
Yes. You'll need to pass annual inspection and fly the first 25-40 hours solo. You are not allowed to fly it for profit, although I think it's ok to share the fuel costs at least in some countries.
>Anyway, I think it is possible to make in normal again, but it would be expensive (paperwork and so on).
AFAIK, it is not possible. At least not in the UK.
>>
>>1258199
>http://www.speeddistancetime.info/test
I've been practicing these tests everyday. Since you're RCAF this is perfect. How long did it take between writing the forces aptitude test and Aircrew Selection? Also where abouts are you from and are you going for fast jet?
>>
File: RCAF-CT-156-Harvard.jpg (238 KB, 1024x658)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>1258836
The wait time can vary quite a bit depending on when you're available to do it. My recruiting center tried to get me loaded on an aircrew selection course just a month after doing the aptitude test, but i couldn't make it work with my exam schedule, so I had to wait a few extra months. I'm from BC, and I am trying to go jets, though it isn't a great time to become a jet pilot right now, so we'll see what happens.
>>
>>1259049
Good luck man. I already graduated Uni so I’m hoping to get going ASAP. I’m from Montreal so Kingston isn’t far for me.
>>
>>1257971
USAF C-130 pilot, still currently in the training pipeline for MC-130 so not very experienced yet. Looks like that other anon was able to answer your questions pretty well, and I don't really have knowledge of the Canadian process. I guess what I can answer is that I started down the military aviation route because it was a stable job and offered a much different experience to the average commercial pilot, also it's a great resume padder if I do decide to go commercial after leaving the military. Also an average day usually consists of various squadron duties like working the step desk or making popcorn and various busy work, while studying things like aircraft systems and emergency procedures to stay sharp for checkrides. On flying days the mission planning shop will hand me all the materials I need for the flight but I'm responsible for checking it over to make sure the filed routes, LZ/DZ info, and charts all make sense for the mission. Then it's route study with the navigator, then we go out to the plane to brief the crew, walk around, fly, debrief, then go home.
>>
>>1259145
Thanks a lot. I'm sure there's a lot of overlap in the daily routine.
>>
WHY ALL MODERN AVIATION USES RETARDED UNITS? REEEEEEeee!1111
WHY ONLY SOVIETS USED NORMAL UNITS?
No, really, why knots, when km/h exist? Why feet, when meters exist? Why nautical miles, when kilometer exist? Why weird tons, when metric exist? Why everyone, who wants into aviation should learn fucking units based on subway sandwich length?
>>
File: aDGb7Kw_700b.jpg (31 KB, 700x185)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1259526
Because the US invented aviation. Deal with it
>>
>>1259531
Yes, but I don't live in US, so I should have normal, world-wide known units, not some subway sandwiches per hour.
>>
>>1259536
to be fair no one here uses knots either so it's just as foreign for us
>>
>>1259526
>No, really, why knots, when km/h exist?
One knot is equal to one minute of latitude. Navigation is more important than your unit preference.
>>
File: pot of keks.jpg (60 KB, 500x500)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1259526
Same reason why a British pilot once told a German pilot why he had to speak english in a german airport
>Because they lost the bloody war
Also the USA invented Aviation
>>
File: lead_720_405[1].jpg (48 KB, 720x405)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1259531
>>1259558

>the USA invented aviation

u wot
>>
>>1259563
Frenchies get their aerodromes and random other french terminology, we get the units. millibars can suck a dick
>>
>>1259563
Fixed Winged Aircraft are an american invention
>>
>>1259582
"Fixed Wing" is a phrase helicopter pilots use to feel important. Its airplane single engine land, not fixed-wing single engine land.
>>
>>1259582
Brazilian.
>>
>>1257747
How’s Daytona beach?
>>1257769
>>1257984
>tfw northern Virginia winter is starting
>>
>>1258242
>>
>tfw plane went in for maintenance last week
>tfw should've been back tomorrow
>tfw got a call they found a bulge in the exhaust system and have to order replacement parts
Welp
>>
>>1259671
Sounds all too familiar
>>
>>1258678
To add to that, classic airplane engines rotate very slowly and thus have lower piston speeds, giving more time for an explosion to turn into a detonation. But i'm disappointed airplane engines are not designed to run with higher compression ratios to take advantage of the lower temperature and pressure of air at high altitude, it would be a tradeoff between slightly less power at takeoff (which would have to take place at part throttle) and better power and fuel efficiency at higher altitudes.

Then again, carburettors are still widely used despite their problems with icing and syncronization.
>>
>>1259673
I guess modern stuff has higher compression.
Anyway, it works, it is bullet-proof. Sure, it could consume less fuel, but... I can't even afford 1960's plane yet. I don't even have a license.

>>
something like this was flying at my local airport today

i talked to the guys flying it, and they called it a 'gyroglider' and told me people use them as gyroplane trainers

but i got to wondering later: how to hell does the FAA class these?

they aren't gyroplanes, because by definition gyroplanes are powered

while i think they could be classed as gliders, im pretty sure the few glider pilots ive met would scoff loudly at that. and theres no way you could get a glider ppl in it

what do you say /gag/
>>
>>1259792
Got an idea of the specs of the thing? Looks really interesting, probably would be classed a ultralight not needing license
>>
>>1259797
what do you mean by specs? i didnt think about asking them the weight, but i assume it's pretty light/ ultralight for unpowered is 150 i think, not sure what this thing weighs

its a frame with a chair, some little wheels, a rotorhead, and a pair of 25 foot or so rotor blades. no engine

it's tethered by a car (not sure if you could do it with a plane?). the forward movement causes the blades to spin, creating lift. it rises like a kite, and the tether is disconnected by the pilot who then zoops around in autorotation until he comes back to the ground
>>
>>1258260
Wait, can you really just buy a ultralight and be in the air? Sounds crazy as a europoor
>>
>>1259049
What's the deal with that 'gusset' fin forward of the vertical stabiliser? You see them often on planes with squared off tailplanes, like the P-51 for example.
>>
File: 1447946880921.jpg (57 KB, 500x562)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1259526
Navigation is key and we got their first so we wrote the rules.
>>
>>1259908
Not true, the French were the first, and have always been world leaders.
>>
>>1259557
That's not true. First of all, a knot isn't equal to an angle, it's a measure of speed, and is equal to exactly 1,852 km/h, or one nautical mile per hour. Second of all, the nautical mile was originally based on the distance over the Earth's sphere when you moved along a meridian by an angle of one minute, except not much later we found out it's inexact, as arcs of minutes are shorter at the equator, and longer at the poles. Worse, it loses any practicality when you stop moving in a strictly north-south direction. In the day and age of current year, with current technology, the nautical miles/feet system makes 0 sense. It would work just as fine with

Feet are absolutely unjustified, as they are not even an exact subdivision of the nautical mile, which is defined as 1 852 metres.
>>
>>1259914
Why US-tards can't just use meters, kilometers, and kilometers per hour, and metric tons of fuel?
>>
I have stupid question: why B*eing stretched 30 meter long 737 into 44 meter long 737 MAX, if they could shortened 757 (and they had designed short 757)?
Sure, 757-100 didn't take off back in 1980, but now airlines want exactly this... Also, they would have less problems, since 757 is much newer, wings are higher, so kosher engines would fit. Wingspan is larger, so more fuel efficiency, plus higher cruise speed...
>>
>>1259918
From what I know, Reagan halted the metrication process that had started in the mid 70's. Whenever Americans elect some clown that will "Make America Great Again", the country is set back three decades.
>>
>>1259926
When US will elect thirdworlders? I think I can fix US...
>>
File: heli_addon_02-500x273.jpg (18 KB, 500x273)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Hello! I am a bit confused and need a little info. So im just another wage cuck. But once I have enough money, I would like to work on entering flight school.

What work is there for amateur pilots? I'm not looking for big airport gigs, rather the smaller stuff. If anyone has anything, it would be 100% appreciated.

Also - I would love to get a degree, totally saving up, but many have suggested going the simpler route of
fly first, school later. I don't have much guidance in real life, so I must resort to online aid.
>>
>>1259946
CFI
>>
File: PicsArt_11-16-05.59.49.jpg (149 KB, 1793x954)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>1259956
Whats CFI?
>>
>>1259918
Why can’t you function with more than one unit system? They are all arbitrary anyway.
>>
>>1259959
>wants to go into flight school
>doesn't know who the CFI is
>>
>>1259961
>>
>>1259956
that poster wasn't me, calm your roasting.
Is there a high demand for flight instructors? Does anyone know any tips before I get too far into this?
>>
>>1259959
Lurk moar newfag
>>
>>1259961
That is why flight schools exist. All they do is teach students abbreviations and shit. And CFI exist there as well.
>>
>>1257709
What country? Couldn't honestly say man but your military or a law enforcement agency would be your best bet
>>
>>1258534
Like this anon said
>>1258534
Its a bear. At one point I think during 2008-2013 the CFI Initial First time pass rate was somewhere in the vacinity of 20%, which means 80% failed first time. When a few of my buddies went to the airlines and asked if they had any training failures on their record, they were asked to not include initial CFI.
>>
>>1256986
>be me
>get super into Band of Brothers
> want to own a C-47/DC-3 and run curahee daily
>Dont give a shit about family because I have none. The only bros I have are on the battlefield or 6 feet under..
>>
>>1259959
certified flight instructor
>>
>>1260471
take your blog shit to reddit
>>
>>1260471
Why don’t you enlist in the Air Force or Air Guard as an aircraft loadmaster and you can deploy paratroopers from C-17s?
>>
And, so it begins.....
>>
>>1259526
Modern China use metric unit for things like flight level too
>>1259539
Where?
>>
>1965 tour package from Hong Kong to Japan
>The leg to Tokyo will use "IATA Luxurious jet aircraft"
There were jet aircrafts that aren't IATA?
>>
>only until the end of next June/start of Juli before the theoretical exams run out
>still have to fly a bunch of navigation flights and all of the radio navigation training
>only got saturdays to fly
I'm scared, I don't want to have to redo all these exams

>>1260745
IATA is just the airline association, a business jet is not necessarily going to be under IATA standards for example. IIRC at least.

>>1259526
It doesn't really matter. It's just numbers on your instruments that you have to memorise, you're not going to convert any of these for anything and they all work with eachother as is.
The only really annoying one is when one plane uses gallons for calculation and another uses liters or kg.
>>
File: 1454925459729.jpg (254 KB, 980x652)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>1259910
Right... Maybe with lighter than air, but not so much when it came to aeronautical navigation.

Also, seems like Paris is burning m8. Great job leading by example. Shit posting aside, I hope everything gets better over there for you all.
>>
I have my initial class 1 tomorrow but somehow managed to miss the part about needing my GP records with me to give to the medical examiner. So I'm going to have to try and get in my GP first thing and beg them to print me some form of records before the hour drive to the aeromedical center.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>1260935
Reschedule?
>>
>>1260938

They want 48 hours or you pay the full amount AND have to book another at full price.
>>
>>1260941
Hmm you may be cucked, I don’t know desu
>>
>>1260945

There's a chance they'll hand me a record tomorrow morning but if not I'm gonna call them and tell them I don't have it. If they say I have to rebook then tough shit it's my mistake and i'll take the £500 hit I guess. Shit happens.
>>
>>1260935
lol last two times i got my medical, the doctor listened to my heart then we talked about his helicopter and his tesla. Then I handed him a $100 and he signed my paper and that was it
>>
File: 1327629539911.jpg (27 KB, 749x558)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
All went ok but I need fucking glasses.

>mfw
>>
>>1260935
I have a small hump. Will it somehow class 1 medial? For what do they check?
>>1261149
Glasses is OK. Fixing back is expensive.
>>
>>1260647
which exam?
>>
>>1258159
Which local Craigslist? How much? I would seriously consider buying this for the right price. Hopefully with a parachute...
>>
>>1258221
You're thinking of the ones that work by shooting out seawater from a hose. These are actual, air-breathing, turbine engines like you would find on a cruise missile or expensive af rc plane.
>>
>>1261293
Indianapolis, IN
$1500

we live all around corn, so if meth doesnt kill us, amateur aviation does

sometimes both
>>
>>1259946
>
You cannot work AS A PILOT if you don't have a commercial pilot's license. Other kinds of work that may consider amateur pilots: aerial photographer, aviation museum guide, Signature Flight Support, UAV ("drone") operator (pilot or payload); helicopter news camera operator.
>>
>>1261297
wouldnt aerial photographer and helicopter news guy be considered working 'as a pilot' or 'in furtherance of a business'
>>
>>1261298
He means the non pilot wielding a camera or microphone depending on which of the jobs you’re specifically referencing.
>>
>>1261296
At first, I was stoked for the little turbine-powered hoverboard for $1500. Then, my bullshit meter started screaming. Little sucker looks like it has 6 r/c-sized turbine engines on a platform. Buddy, any ONE of those engines probably cost $3k or more. Since its Craigslist, its gotta be a scam. If you're local, do go check it out in person. I hope that I'm wrong, but since the water-powered version costs as much as a Tesla, I just don't see how. Bring some backup if you go.
>>
>>1261248
FIA
>>
TFW you see your local international airport in your anime
>>
>>
File: IMG_9567.jpg (1.67 MB, 3264x2448)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1261601
I would squeal if I saw MIA, MAD, or ORD in an anime
Also I'm not sure but I think outside of Japan, we only see IAD, JFK, and most prominently LHR in anime.
>>
>>1261717
TFW they show Five Guys from the B concourse
>>
>>
>>1261717
>MIA
Why do they make it so inconvenient to transfer between Tri-Rail and Metrorail? It looks like there's a direct connection, but every time, I end up walking a lot further than it seems like I should have to.
>>
Well fellas I passed my Commerical checkride today. One of my best flying days too. Got broken up with from a 2 year relationship, got burnt out on flying and a bunch of other personal shit that happened. It's almost ironic how much my personal life went to shit when I had to set it aside and be "professional" about it and fly when I didn't want to.

On to multi and time to find a job :)
>>
>>1261898
>On to multi and time to find a job :)
I assume you're going for CFI then?
>>
>>1261898
Congrats lad.

Why don’t you start your CFI now, start racking up your hours immediately and just do your multi over the course of the next year? You’ll get to 1,500 faster that way
>>
>>1261900

>>1261904

Nope, I don't have the patience for CFI. I have a local aerial survey opportunity this spring while I'm doing my multi. That should get me up to 500-600 hours and put me in a good spot for Air Choice One or Cape Air or something like that
>>
>>1261905
I wish I was as lucky as you.. i’m studying for CFI right now and I’m seriously dreading this shit. I should be like this guy and work in Hawaii

https://youtu.be/XbRSJWGscp8
>>
>>1261906
Yeah I got really lucky. The Chief of Flight Ops at the aerial survey place was a student in my commercial ground school and he is really into giving low time pilots opportunities.

Also, if Mokulele wasn't such a shit company it would be awesome working in Hawaii
>>
>>1257779
What >>1257875 said. Just start using it. Every time you spell something out, use the radio letter for it - even if only in your head.
>>1258159
Best way would probably be to operate it as an ultralight under Part 103, but since it's faster than 55 knots you'd need to get a waiver from FSDO as per §103.5. Similar waivers are commonly used to permit paraglider and hang glider pilots to conduct tandem (2-person) training flights.

Otherwise, to operate under Part 91 it'd have to be registered as an experimental aircraft, probably powered lift category, and you'd need a pilot's license with a powered-lift category rating (and AFAIK the only people with those to date are test pilots and ex-mil who were trained to fly tiltrotors or jump jets). So potential dead end there.

Either way, I'd call your local FSDO and ask what they think the best route would be.

>it's multiple-engine
Oddly enough, that's completely irrelevant in either case. ONLY airplane-category aircraft have to deal with additional hurdles when multiple engines are used for propulsion. The FAA makes no such distinction between mutli- and single-engine examples of ANY other category of aircraft (helicopters, airships, etc.).

>and fucking jet turbines at that
Again, not an issue whatsoever for Part 103, nor for Part 91/61 in this case. § 61.31(a)(2) ONLY applies to airplanes in particular. Jet-powered motorgliders are exempt, as would be any hypothetical jet-blimp or jet-autogyro.
>>
File: 20181206_112130.jpg (2.69 MB, 4160x2340)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
Check out these cool engines I saw today
>>
File: 20181206_112147.jpg (2.5 MB, 4160x2340)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>1262061
OK they're not actually sideways
>>
File: 20181206_112713.jpg (2.47 MB, 4160x2340)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
>>1262062
>>
>>1261905
Lucky cunt. I'm going to have to buy my hours.
>>
File: IMG_1129.jpg (878 KB, 3883x1613)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
>>1259946
Ok,,,start,,Now!
,,paper airplane,,build,,Fly!,
,,,thatseasy,,howas the flight?,no drift?, clean descent?,open runway??,
,,,learn the crash,,avoid.,
,now play with weight and balance,,how little makes disaster!,
,,,doit!, everyday,,twice,,fly,,putitin your Dreams.,
,,we want reports!,flight analisissy!,Pics!,
,pic of Pplane,,,,,,ill wait,,,,,,
>>
>>1262061
>>1262062
>>1262063
What museum?
>>
File: G6b5tTZ.jpg (25 KB, 254x213)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
How we doing boys? I think I'm about to be offered a job at a cargo airline. It's not one of the big boys like Cargolux etc but it does give me the opportunity to get stuck in and there will be jumpseating required for some overnight ops in different places. Downside is it's mon-fri so it greatly reduces my flying opportunities. Even so, the amount I'll learn and the time I'll spend on the flt deck makes it surely worth it. Right? RIGHT?
>>
>>1262173

For clarification: this is an ops job not a flying job, im only doing PPL atm.
>>
am i the only one in here flying helicopters?
>>
>>1262205
what do you pay for lessons?
>>
File: 20181206_112133.jpg (2.48 MB, 4160x2340)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>1262136
It's the Rolls-Royce heritage centre in Derby UK
>>
>>1262205
Explain how autorotation works.
>>
>>1262205
Due to the sheer costs involved you might just be
>>
>>1262173
you're getting paid right?
>>
>>1261723
there's a station that has both the tri-rail and the metrorail. also lose weight fatty
>>
>>1259946
>What work is there for amateur pilots?
nothing for you unless you have a commercial pilot's license
>>
>>1262612
what if i sell $150 handshakes that include a free hour flight
>>
File: 1543906909649.jpg (42 KB, 425x425)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1262615
>Private Pilot Privileges and Limitations
>1. As a private pilot, you may not act as a pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire, nor may you be paid to act as a pilot in command, except a) You may act as a pilot in command, for compensation or hire, of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if the flight is only incidental to that business or employment and the aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.
>>
>>1262610
>lose weight
I'm underweight.
>>
>>1262615
If you get caught you will lose your license
>>
>>1261909
what is the survey company? i'm a survey pilot too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXWCiG8v64
Why it was recommended to me by YT? I don't speak chopstick...
And why chink is ranting on Airbus interior?
>>
>>1262858

https://youtu.be/Qe50R7Iufls
>>
Is United Airlines about to unveil a new lively??.

https://youtu.be/NGs3hiETjfY
>>
File: 0637762.jpg (271 KB, 1200x802)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>1263036
They should revert back to their old livery. I wasn't happy with the stolen livery from Continental.
>>
File: IMG_20180812_1618155~2.jpg (1.17 MB, 4618x3197)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>1257868
What up fellow DEN-bro.
>>
Need some advice guys. So I'm getting to the point of applying to colleges in the hope of working for an airline. I've started getting my PPL and I'm considering ASU and Western Michigan, anyone have any advice for applying?
>>
>>1264052
ASU will have better weather year-round for flying. That being said its gonna be hot in the summer. Michigan will be freezing in the winter, and stuff like ceilings, visibility, wind, and icing (plus deice ops) will fuck with your flight training.
>>
how do i get a blimp rating without working for goodyear

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.