[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

This honestly isn't that good and I'm not even trying to be contrarian.

There are some songs on here that are very average and most of the music here skates by on aesthetic and not strength of song writing or interesting composition.

It's not a bad album, the sound of the whole thing is pretty interesting but wow is it overrated.
>>
nice!
>>
>>88341924
Let me guess.. You think you're a "dreamy, ethereal" type of person and you walk around listening to this album to give yourself confirmation of your identity.

I mean that's okay but it doesn't make the album good and it doesn't make you interesting.
>>
>>88341855
good one anon! now, they never gonna post about this album again!
>>
>>88341855
That’s fine, anon. Not everyone will enjoy this album just like how I fucking hate Starsailor and everyone seems to jizz themselves over it
>>
>>88341855
A lot of the tracks on the record are objectively good and It also sounded very unique and innovative when It came out. It's ok If you personally didn't like the aesthetic but you contrarians really need to fuck off by making retarded threads like this
>>
>my bloody vagina
>>
>>88342081
but "unique" doesn't mean the song writing is very strong or the chord progressions are good.

There are tons of albums with unique sounds.

This is not even close to being one of the best albums of all time. It's ridiculous.

I would bet that you're a teenager desu. I was a lot more fond of this record when I was younger.

Song writing and interesting composition will be more important to you when you're older.
>>
It's the most convincingly dreamlike album in the "rock" genre that still feels grounded in a way. No other album comes close.
>>
>>88341957
Let me guess... you're a complete pleb. Oh wait I don't have to guess you've already confirmed it.
>>
>>88342106
Not the guy you're responding to, but that's like saying 2001: A Space Odyssey can't be the greatest film of all time because it features sparse uncharismatic dialogue.
>>
love it when retards seethe because they can’t into loveless
>>
>>88342106
define good songwriting
>>
>>88342150
I was "into loveless" when I was a teenager.

Then I grew up and my mind required more stimulation. A "neat aesthetic" isn't enough keep me entertained anymore.
>>
>>88342167
There are 100s of things that can make a song interesting or compelling, anon. Unfortunately half the songs on this albums lack those things.
>>
>>88342106
Loveless has great songwriting you dumbass pseud. That's the main thing that sets it apart from other shoegaze albums, that and how much further it goes with sound design.
>>
>>88342144
I disagree. I think that film isn't as one dimensional as this album.
>>
>>88342106
>bro, everything needs to have AMAZING songwriting, otherwise It's unlistenable trash
They weren't even going for that you braindead fuck, the songwriting on It Is decent enough, but It Isn't It's strongest point and It doesn't have to be
>when you grow older, this and this will be more important for you
typical argument of a mongoloid retard
>>
>>88342106
absolutely based
fuck loveless and its retarded underage fans
>>
>>88342106
Listen to acoustic covers of loveless sons online, there is good songwriting under the effects
>>
I like it, but I prefer Slowdive.
>>
>>88342259
Wow, you're upset.

I never said the album is bad.

It's just not one of the greatest albums of all time, at all.

Do I think that an album needs to have good song writing to be considered one of the very best albums of all time? Well when the entire fucking album has song writing.. yes I actually do.

>>88342277
I will check that out.
>>
>>88341855
At the time, it was the most original and challenging record probably ever made. At a time when every cocksucker and their sister/wife were trying to be Kurt Cobain.
>>
>>88342106
>but "unique" doesn't mean the song writing is very strong or the chord progressions are good.

Agreed. But great albums don't always need great chord progressions or arrangement or songwriting. Led Zeppelin has great arrangements but they are boring as hell
>>
>>88342320
I don't consider It one of the greatest of all time either, but It Is enjoyable and you called most songs average and muh bad songwriting
>>
>>88342216
What makes it one dimensional? MBV's songs still sound amazing even without the effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdGELqz0_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrVcXmmd0v0

The synergy between the songwriting and the style of arrangements with which they're presented gives Loveless that wow factor. Loveless doesn't excel because it simply uses an aesthetic, it excels because each layer/track in a song is presented with the aesthetic that best complements the style/mood of the melodies they're presenting. Mark Hollis used a similar approach with his arrangements and it's most noticeable on the last two Talk Talk albums.
>>
Loveless is garbage and if you enjoy it your taste is garbage. Sorry I don't make the rules, I enforce em.
>>
>>88342332
>Led Zeppelin has great arrangements but they are boring as hell
>>
desu senpai imo this album is not that great but it's already a classic and was innovative so it deserves some praise. I think it's not aged very well and it seems like a lot of the love young people show for it is part of some indie cred circlejerk. yeah there are some great tracks but shoegaze isn't even cool anymore stop pretending!
>>
>>88342106
>>88341855
but the chord progressions are nothing like anything else. even the chord shapes he uses are interesting. it's repetitive for sure but definitely intentionnally so cause it aims to induce a certain state of trance. also some songs are elevated to the point of unrecreatible uniqueness by the textures like touched. what even is that song. If this isn't bait then you haven't listened to enough music to identify what's compositionally conventional. It's okay to dislike the sounds but this album is both harmonically complex, melodically catchy and texturally cool and new. it could be argued that it's kinda boring though.
>>
>>88341957
shit up faggot lol
>>
>>88342449
epin
>>
>>88342449
>t. alan mcgee
>>
My first post.

For my part I'd say that "Only Shallow" manages to do that extremely rare thing, where pure emotions are trapped on tape, and preserved flawlessly.

Like anything that's legendary, some people are going to be upset because they don't get it -- AND simultaneously, others are not going to get it, but still use it as an emblem to describe themselves to others.
>>
>>88341957
>immediately proves himself to just be a contrarian faggot
gj m8
>>
>>88342277
https://youtu.be/ZhP_Usc9LKs
Or just listen to this
>>
>>88343197
>my first post
Kys but also nice post
>>
>>88342081
>contrarian
>retarded
>>88342117
>pleb
>>88342150
>retards
>seethe
>>88342214
>dumbass
>pseud
>(((sound design)))
>braindead fuck
>mongoloid retard
why can't lovelessfags ever make a real argument?
>>
>>88342193
based. half the album is truely unlistenable
>>
>>88343963
they're just kids defending the sacred cow
>>
I love this argument that only kids love this album.

No fucking kids or teens love this, especially zoomers. Their attention spans are too short for thiS
>>
>>88341855
I agree, however the album offers a unique enough soundscape to be considered at least a 7/10. Don't get me wrong, each track could've been cut in half except Touched. Still, the sound they managed to achive is off the wall and innovative. I wish there was a bigger focus on composition and changing the fucking rythms though. Some riffs just go on and on and on and on. Still a classic for what it is.
>>
been studying this album for this whole month. its a total accomplishment for humanity and a huge leap in recording technique, and the very notion of what constitutes music. now im almost ready to output Loveless 2, and literally no one can stop me.
>>
>>88344847
>I wish there was a bigger focus on composition and changing the fucking rythms though. Some riffs just go on and on and on and on.
yeah, im glad you didnt take part on the album production because youre a brainlet whos not even ready for timbre based music supported repetitive stuctures. i suggest you kindly off urself ;)
>>
>>88344614
You're no older than 23 lmao. Manchild
>>
>>88344933
wrong, just stop
>>
>>88345026
>a 30yo that weights 68kg
show tits or gtfo. or go to the doctor.
>>
>>88341957
>thinking I’m a ___ for listening to ___
Nice projection fag but I’m not a woman. Loveless>your favorite album
>>
>>88341855
It could be argued that aesthetic is actually one of the most important elements of music, as it lends to the overall feeling and that aspect is very important to a lot of people. A lot of "critically acclaimed" modern albums are not because of "strong" song writing and "interesting comoposition" (which is a vague fantano-esque criticism).
>>
>>88343963
faggot see>>88342751
>>
It's the epitome of an album that attracts others solely on its aesthetics. And I won't even not admit it, the amount of work that went into layering the guitar parts (in some cases other noise building elements as well) then how they are all mixed together is phenomenal.

But I feel that ignores the rest of the aspects about this album. The rhythm section does next to nothing at all in this album for the most of it I feel like it just plods along. It's pointless to have it there. The vocals feel muted, lifeless, with their only justification being that they are mixed a certain way to fit the aesthetic. But I think the worst aspect that's kinda all encompassing is that the songs are written like banal straightforward pop songs. It's not just the fact that the band seems to not know how to write interesting melodies of character most of the time, or how tired the ABAB structures get. But I find it kind of tragic that the songwriting, vocal approach, and the rhythm section all show that a possibly brilliant texture based idea got watered down with a required adherence towards being pop. Again, maybe more justifiable if those pop aspects of the music were actually good. But they really aren't; most top 40 pop songs even the typically lame ones shit on the songwriting here.
>>
File: T0BoiZB.png (91 KB, 354x337)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
I have a funny story about that album.

I heard the album in the summer of 2017 and I loved it so much honestly. I was listening to it 24/7 and I was pretty sure this was going to be my album. The album I'll listen to forever, until the day I die slowly by some OP disease.

However I went out with my friends one time at Buffalo Wild Wings, and got super drunk. I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning there as well. The next day I was miserable.

Not only did I get a massive hangover but I got some dirty flu as well for three days. After that I got a painfully sore throat and an intense ass cold for 4 days straight. Life was basically kicking my privileged ass for a full week.

To...This...Fucking...Day...Every time I hear Loveless it makes me feel sick and grossed out because it reminds me of the fucking painful week I suffered through. Haven't heard it sense. I love Slowdive though. Probably the band I'll listen to till I die.
>>
>>88345994
shit story desu.

anyways i got once a toothache that was fucking killing me, ended up removing the fucking thing, and i coped it with Centuries of Damn, and i get comfy feelings everytime i listen to it ;)
>>
>>88345530
t. the epitome of the filtered pleb.
>>
you made me realise is better
>>
/hiphop/ Eric B scratches way too fucking much I wish he did little of it
>>
>>88346342
Shit I'm so fucking retarded this was meant to be a post
>>
>>88346342
>>88346354

Jesus Christ anon
>>
>>88346354
it IS a post, you meant a thread, anon. you keep losing anon, see what listening to chimp hop did to your brain.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.