[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1548611169463.png (357 KB, 757x673)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
What is the best pony tabletop rpg? Is there any fully complete?
>>
>>34278240
The official one is decent. Roleplaying is Magic is a pretty nice fanmade RPG that's gone through several revisions. Ponyfinder exists if you can stomach Pathfinder.
>>
I use 5e with custom races
>>
>>34278661
>he's going full pleb!
>>
File: 1567892517017.png (830 KB, 4800x4800)
830 KB
830 KB PNG
>>34278628
what's wrong with Pathfinder anon?
>>
>>34278967
It's crunchy AF, and attracts spergs who will harangue you for hours about "muh build." They have a focus on league play which means a lot of rules designed to keep shitty people from ruining each others' fun, as opposed to 5e, which while rather bland, is at least written on the sensible assumption that you're going to be playing with people you can stand to be in the room with, who aren't trying to dick you over, and consequently is much easier to run and play.

That said, some folks have spent years playing Pathfinder (or 3e D&D its predecessor) and they like being able to reuse their massive store of system knowledge, so Ponyfinder does have its fans.
>>
>>34278240
I use WFRPG with custom races and careers.
>>
>>34278967
It's the strictly worse version of 3.5.
>>
>>34278628
The official one is shit and unbalanced if you're going to run it past a one shot. If I were going to run a lighthearted narrative horse game with a similar feel I'd run Tales from the Loop instead.
>>
>>34278994
Arent they make Pathfinder and by extension ponyfinder 2e and it supposed to be less autistic?

>>34279014
>WFRPG
whats that?
>>
>>34278240
on the topic of this, is there anywhere online where people host pony RPGs? I feel like it could be fun to join in on one but I never know where to look.
>>
>>34280486
Warhammer Fantasy RPG. It's pretty much exactly like Dark Heresy but a better fantasy setting with a more open ended career path system. Except for 3rd and 4th edition, but hose are shit. It's also made by Fantasy Flight Games.
>>
>>34280508
There's a few discord servers, but discord is fucking cancer. Honestly we should have a /tg/ general here for gamefinding /wbg/ and discussing homebrews here. We had threads for more specific systems come and go but it would be nice to have a thread for it that pops up once in a while.
>>
>>34280965
It would be nice to have place with all RPG in one place. Even the mlp games overall because a lot of games must come and go without even people noticing.
Only exception is tfh. I hope at least they stick around.
>>
Anyone tried Maid RPG? Seems like with a bit of a "reskin", one could run an incredibly cutesy game in line with early seasons of the show and with little in the way of crunch.
>>
>>34282268
I got invited to a game by some AiE fags ages ago but it never hit off. Busy these days but wouldn't mind trying it later on.
>>
>>34280486
Pathfinder 2e is a thing, and yeah, it's less crunchy and autistic than 1e.
>>
>>34278661
>>34279014
Post them.
>>
>>34283976
This is our baseline:
https://www.deviantart.com/cheezedoodle96/art/MLP45E-Dungeons-and-Dragons-With-Ponies-490872927
We brew things that aren't in it, like kirin.
>>
>>34282355
Didn't pathfinderfags shit themselves over 2E because it was closer to DND 4E than 3.5, which was the one main reason they broke off from that garbage in the first place? Well, that and being able to play a custom special snowflake race to wank off under the table. So far I haven't heard anything good about it.
>>
>>34284867
Well yeah, it's not really designed to court that slowly shrinking niche audience.
>>
>>34278240
The one where discord burns in Tartarus for all of eternity. And I get my waifu.
>>
>>34278994
>they have a focus on league play
are you retarded? no one from 4chins plays pathfinder society unironically.
>Game crunch and builds
shocking, a gamist system with a lot of crunch and options has a bunch of community discussion on neat builds.
>>34282355
Pf2 is less crunch and autistic and is also broken on release. you're welcome to play that garbage if you want. it's no 5e killer.
>>
>>34283976
If you're asking for the base books look on thetrove. As for the homebrew I need to get those notes together fist. If this thread lives over the week I might have something.
>>
Here we see an example of the kind of person you meet when you join Pathfinder groups:
>>34285797
>are you retarded? no one from 4chins plays pathfinder society unironically.
And I'm sure "a handful of people from 4chins" had a big impact on the designers of the game, which is why the rules are written in such a way as to assume trust between players and DM!
Oh no, wait, they aren't, because the designers created the system with PFS in mind, and were not the least bit interested in whether some dipshits from an Armenian popsicle-stick-sculpture.circular were going to play PFS or not.
>>
>>34278240
Depends on what you want to play, FATE for something casual, Pathfinder has plenty of modules available, GURPS if you hate your friends.
>>
>>34285756
Ideal.
>>
What would you guys like to see as a horse homebrew? Personally I wouldn't mind Runequest just for the feel of the bronze age Glorantha setting. Playing as very primitive, pre unification pones that still live in open fields for grazing, and the marvel of technology is a woven or rock fence to keep predators out would be fun.
>>
Has anyone ever thought of doing a campaign featuring mostly canon characters?
>>
>>34286889
>created a system with pfs in mind
>bans half the content of the game because it doesnt fit pfs
fuck off jew.
>>
>>34288726
Fuck off yourself, I never said they were good at their job, the mouse-throwing chucklefucks.
>>
>>34288708
Like, the pc's are cannon characters? Sounds fun. I did play in a few games where canon characters were around. But never as pc's.
>>
>>34285756
Based
>>
So basically only option is a homebrew? No actual pony rpg?
>>
>>34292404
But several have been mentioned already?
Roleplaying is Magic is arguably the best for mimicking the show.
>>
>>34292404
>>34292449
This. ToE is shit. There are better lighthearted narrative based games. At least they tried.
>>
File: Dungeon Side.jpg (611 KB, 1200x713)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>34278240
>>34292404
Seeds of Harmony is complete and free to play and is not Dungeons and Dragons.
You can build the character based on what you want to do rather than being forced to follow a specific path, with the only restriction that you can't learn everything but instead have some guidelines to follow. Like you can do a stealth/fighter, a warmage etc and is quite balanced.
Basically a character earns experience which then uses to buy Feats which allows you do to more stuff than normal or be better at something.
There are no classes but Careers Types so you don't need to be forced to play a core class then find a broken homebrew class and make your GM mad at you.
Skills are improved by using them often and use the d100 while combat is d20
HP pool is low, armors grant damage reduction and is quite tactical for those who want heavy focus on combat but is also flexible to let you do more stuff with roleplay and exploration.
>>
>>34292648
God damn, Anon. That's a nice set up.
>>
>>34292648
that sounds awesome
>>
File: SoH Tokens 04.png (1.1 MB, 900x635)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>34293775
>>34294671
The only downside is that it took me too long to write it so the huge hype there was back in 2012/13 was already cooling down, so even when i published i didn't managed to get enough interest apparently, especially because i tried to make the announcement on EQD but they fucked up the first time
>>
>>34295652
I remember seeing it. Personally I wasn't too interested because I hate d20 systems. I saw the d20 and I immediately thought of how fucking garbage DnD and pathfinder is and how I don't want to try another. I much prefer something more narrative these days like WoD or if I'm itching for number crunchy and strategy, anything else from FFG which is full d100 and distances itself from everything I hate about DnD and pathfinder.
>>
>>34295888
Yeah i understand. back in the days when is tarted writing Seeds of Harmony i basically already had in mind what i hated of D&D even if 3.5 was my favourite. I hated the fact you could reach absurd values impossible to beat or high level means you could do werid stuff.
But still i liked the d20 as dice since grants you a certain degree of result not too complex like th d100 does.
So i opted fo hybrid system which uses both: d20 for combat, and d100 for skills and checks which are usually those which requires more granularity.

Combat is d20 + your attacking modifier vs d20 + defender modifier and the one which get higher result wins, which means you can never be 100% sure of the outcome, instead of "yeah my AC is 60, i can't be hit unless is a 20".
Even if you have a +12 to Dodge or Parry but roll a 3 and the other rolls a 13 but has just a +3 he can still hit you. Also i removed auto-hit and auto-miss so even rolling a 1 doesn't necessarily means you fail your roll. And that's all, the D20 is mostly used to counter rolls.
The d100 is used for skills, morale checks, fear and terror checks and so on and also has a degree of failure if the GM allows so. for example let say you have a 55% success to jump but you roll a 57: the GM can just say "you jump over but you misscalculated the sprint and even though you reach the other part you only barely manage to catch the border and now the others must pull you up".

I always thought that if you want to go full narrative you can just have your character sheet and then use them to more or less define what you can or can't do, then play, for example if you specialize in being agile and get lots of athletic skills you cna just play along with the concept that "you usually get through such parts with ease while the others could struggle" and so on, but i put lots of effort in combat because i always liked it, espceially tactical combat, since your HP pool is low and you must think before.
>>
>>34292404
>>34292623
>>34280233
The official game really feels like they didn't expect anyone to play more than one or two sessions ever. Now to be fair, it's made with kids in mind. But still. At the end of the given session / quest you level all of your skills and gain a new one, and the DCs for even the toughest things are super low so really within five sessions you're god. Also if you don't roll good you've got the friendship tokens which are basically free wish spells, so, you're god. I mean, the rule set is SO barebones there's hardly anything to go by, but what there is to go by is terrible. Strong contender for the worst RPG system I've ever seen.
>>
>>34296501
Kids these days can't handle failure
>>
>>34296501
>>34296541
That's why I pointed out Tales from the Loop. If you use that and replaced the Iconic Item with a cutie mark and general setting you have something that isn't so different, but way more balanced. The cool thing is that the older the characters get, the less luck points (Which act like friendship tokens) you get. So you end up relying more on what the character learned and whatnot as the campaign progresses.

And the way you get exp is perfect for a more narrative horse campaign.
>You get one if you participated
>One of you used your pride.
>One if you had a problem with your relationships (Doesn't have to be resolved).
>One if you risked your neck for someone else
>One if you can say what your character learned that session.
And it's 5 exp to get one more point in a skill. So if you don't put your character out there and have them out of their comfort zones you're never going to get a whole ton of exp, and even if you do it never feels overpowered but it does help.
>>
>>34289645
Yeah, like characters from the show rather than OCs, I’d definitely play that
>>
>>34296845
That does sound fun, at least with people that know the characters well and can do a mean RP.
>>
>>34297904
Yeah but most people think to know the character while is not actually true and they just do weird shit, and when they get called out they start arguing.
Playing as the official cast is most of the time a bad idea
>>
>>34298193
Honestly if it resorts to that, everyone at the table is going to be shit no matter what you play. If someone is shit in my group, especially the one DMing they'll hear about it and we're close enough pals to know if someone is calling you out on shit or begginer-tier rp, it's true and you should probably take the advice. Or if we're being playful and shitposty about it we'll go all in for a laugh.

If people are the kind to get offended or defensive about their special snowflake characters or waifus from a show, get them off your table. Everyone will be all the more happier about it.
>>
>>34288960
hearing this makes me wonder if I know you.
>>
>>34298420
That is also true, as long as you play with trustworthy people, even for shit and giggles
>>
>>34296449
I've never heard anyone call d100 complex. If your Agility stat is 57%. You just roll less than 57. It's not that hard. d20's are just memed to hell.
>>
>>34278240
Fallout Equestria PnP
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fsNLwKTWEt0pawFWLRzBtEPfvDQGitGPh8NN3Zk0xo4/edit?pli=1#

With DakkaLazy's Occupy Trottingham/Wish You Were Here House Rules
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14pjPEQ2RwKSm_RHdtuFL1blgzAvUDeVxl8722OWeoBs/edit
>>
>>34299455
he probably means that a d100 can grant more variables than a d20 not that is complicated
>>
File: Ledyanoy Svet.png (162 KB, 698x617)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>34278240
Anyway for those interested here's the links to both the games. While SoH has more stuff and rules, Wasteland Equestrians is still new so it could have less content but the game systems are similar.

Seeds of Harmony (Fantasy)
https://velgarn.tumblr.com/SoH_Material

Wasteland Equestrians (Fallout + Metro). Based on the Fallout Equestria concept but updated up to Season 9 with some extra stuff from Metro.
https://velgarn.tumblr.com/WE_Rules

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.