[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

ITT: Not being able to plan for shit, collection of short stories, sharing smut with your professors, following canon, Hiro makes fools of us all, maps, what is fan fic for?, Voiceguy goes down Shin's rabbit hole but gets scared, hollow moon, anthro tree ponies, writing incest for money, the last season premieres and not many people care, morally upright gypsies, the Shinematic Universe undergoes changes, scientifically advanced minotaurs, and drinking your mother's breasmilk that your grandad kept frozen for twelve years.

>FiMFiction Starter Kit (recommended fics):
Winners:
http://i.imgur.com/vuTA7EN.png
List of nominees by category:
http://mlp-fanfics.herokuapp.com/

>How do I write fanfiction?
Ezn’s guide - https://eznguide.neocities.org/
Politics and the English Language - http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/
Vhatug's tips for anatomically correct clop - https://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f
Horse Behaviour - http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/equus/behaviour.html
Setting a story in motion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufO8LbwTdu0
Taking criticism - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v4R2ZcxPlA

>Can you pre-read my story?
Post it on Google Docs with comments enabled and give us a link.

>Reviews and riffs:
https://pastebin.com/u/notkickass222urmom
https://pastebin.com/u/IHeartShinzakura
https://pastebin.com/wmGX7FPm
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z9Bz7UnEbxo-svlXa2tV49PJkP-yFuR7pRXiBUn-IeU

>Voiceguy's readings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt68MpmvEketmqOdHncHI2w

Last thread:
>>
>>33728017
>>33728137
>complains that no one makes the op thread
>complains when someone makes the op thread
>>
>>33728194
>makes new thread when old is still on page 9
>>
Much better, thanks OP
>>
>>33728176
What happens when you reach 100%?
>>
>>33728513
You get double the breast milk, of course.
>>
>>33728517
But there's still -100% Milky Way.
>>
File: despair.gif (1019 KB, 500x373)
1019 KB
1019 KB GIF
Are you working on a story, Anon?
>>
>>33729336
>work on a story
>post it on fimfiction
>get high negative ratio to like ratio again
>put a lot of work into it
>still doesnt matter

You ask me?
>>
>>33729797
>get high negative ratio to like ratio
Then you obviously aren't putting the right kind of work.
>>
>>33729805
Like what?
>>
I've been away for some years now and was getting back into fics. What have I missed?

Any good recent recommendations? Things I should stay away from? What would be a neat idea to write that hasn't really been tried yet?
>>
>>33729810
>Any good recent recommendations?
Lmao
>Things I should stay away from?
Yes
>What would be a neat idea to write that hasn't really been tried yet?
How about: human goes to Equestria, hijinks ensue
>>
Me attacking people in the streets with a knife. Me running everywhere spreading the disease. Me attacking people everywhere they go. They turn into puddles of goop when they are cut.
>>
>>33729810
>What would be a neat idea to write that hasn't really been tried yet?
I'm sick of seeing fics where tabletop game nerds are transported to Equestria. I'd much rather see a fic that goes down the Harry Potter and the Natural 20 route and has a nerd's character transported to Equestria. I've joked about this before - stick a 3.5e Transmuter Wizard in season 1 and everything will write itself.
>>
>>33729797
Wouldn't happen to be for the contest, would it?
>>33729808
Do you read regularly? I mean standalone works, not fanfiction.
I've been reading more recently and it's helped me process ideas fasting when I'm trying to best implement them into a story.
>>
Me cutting because no one appreciates me. Me cutting because no one helps me. Me cut because I out of options. Me lose mind and stab into own eye.
>>
Me cut to ease the strain. Me cut to release the pain. Me cutting into the night. Me cutting till everything is alright.
>>
>>33729837
Unfortunately I feel that would turn into some LOHAV tier bullshit
>>
>>33729837
I feel like the only thing that would be interesting for Hie would be like a joke fic, like "Scott Steiner saves Equestria" I'd read the hell out of that.

>>33729836
>>33729839
You have another fight with your mom again, anon?
>>
I updated another of my stories.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/179585/a-new-moon-is-rising
>>
>>33729810
>>33729830
>>33729837
You could always do the inverse of this and put together a pony on earth story. Those are pretty rare to see, but when they're done right they're fantastic
>>
>>33730000
>pony in DnD
That's either get dark fast or just be plain boring. Pegasi and earth ponies are uninteresting outside of the fact that they're strangers in a strange land, and outside of someone Twilight tier, the best that a unicorn could hope for would be to live Trixie's life.

Hmmm... Trixie in DnD, could be a good short fic.
>>
>>33730014
That sounds fun actually.
>>
>>33730014
Wizards in DnD are basically Twilight, though, from what I can gather from my cursory knowledge of the setting.
>>
>>33730014
ponies playing dnd is a fun comedy I'd read
there used to be a general greentext with that premise but it also had to have anon fucking all the ponies and other bullshit, but that was like 5 years ago
>>
>>33730032
DnD Wizards are far beyond Twilight. Her only real advantage over DnD Wizards is that she gets unlimited spells per day (albeit with a limit on how much she can cast in a short period of time, she's like a Psion with PP that recharges per round). As for her magic she can, what? Do some shitty polymorphing, shitty telekinesis, short-distance teleports, and fire a death beam? Unless I've forgotten something, she'd be nothing more than an odd entry in the Monster Manual that I could build with a level 1 Wizard and a loose reading of Abrupt Jaunt and/or Prestidigitation. It's not like something like Harry Potter where each magic system is relatively overpowered enough to keep things interesting* - Twilight is just weak.

e.g. HP wizards have the unforgivable curses and spells that can destroy literally anything, but they can't resurrect people or contact other planes.

>>33730117
Might be the opposite of what you want, but both Ponyfinder and Friendship is Dragons exist.
>>
File deleted.
>>33729336
yes, I'm going to bring home the bacon with my Twilight & Shining incest story.
>>
>>33730265
>all the way to the base
Based Anon.
>>
Hold up, the Student Six isn't just a fan fic thing? Is it time to abandon ship?
>>
>>33730407
At the very least, this arc will be about the Student Six.
I think Newbiespud is still going to cover stuff from the other seasons. This is supposed to be a 7-10 years into the future thing.
I'll stick with it for now, but if the change is more than a one-off, I won't have a problem with closing the book on this one.
>>
Reading of Winter Bells when
>>
>>33730463
After Seeking Power.
>>
File: D&D FIM.jpg (742 KB, 1545x1448)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
>Mane 6 official D&D class is revealed

Now do your work writers
>>
So, on the subject of that trainwreck of a story last thread, the author hid the latest chapter. I assume to make it longer or something.
>>33730473
Were they actually released somewhere or is this a prompt to make shit up?
>>
>>33730482
Which story? There were a few of them
>>
>>33730500
The breast milk one.
>>
>>33729837
>tfw gm invites people over for new campaign
>it's pathfinder
>it's kinda shit
I'm very much at the point where I'm enjoying the sessions despite the system. Good players, fun story, but Pathfinder feels like such a bad fit for players that don't tend to focus much on combat.
>>
>>33730503
It's still up, the creator hasn't removed it
>>
File: Untitled.png (8 KB, 649x116)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>33730613
Help a blind Anon then. What am I doing wrong that my eyes cannot behold what yours perceive with ease?
>>
>>33730638
There were only ever those two chapters though
>>
>>33730237
No, I mean, like, the type of magic. Learned magic. Give Twilight access to a library of spells a typical Wizard learns, and I'm fairly certain she'll master them.
>>
>>33730680
No, there was a third. It went up the tenth. It went down today i assume.
It had the hobo and the hour of yelling in it.
>>
Is there a story that involved in other side of hemisphere?
>>
>>33730851

No anon, there were only ever two chapters, and we have always gotten our breast milk from Eastasia.
>>
File: 1518672702323.jpg (380 KB, 1024x768)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>33730912
I... is... is this gaslighting?
Am I being joshed around?
Did I buy a ticket for a ruse cruise?
Am I getting old?
Did I win a game of russian roulette?
Am I going bananas on the moon?
>>
File: full.png (548 KB, 1024x768)
548 KB
548 KB PNG
Question - If Applejack had to have a job, any job, what would it be?

Exception - nothing to do with farming.
>>
>>33730966
Construction worker.
Rodeo performer.
Freight carrier.
Anything that requires a workhorse.
>>
I'm going to make an alternate account and then you cant stalk me anymore anon!
>>
>>33730966
Cook for the others working on the farm
>>
>>33730957
I literally posted the original screencap. Dude there were only two chapters.
>>
How hard is it to get followers man, I want to have a lot of followers by the end of the week.
>>
>>33731009
just wrire more and be good at it, lol
>>
>>33731009
Why do you care about followers?
>>
>>33731023
But I write a lot and am still shit.
>>33731027
Because it gives me more information on how to improve through exposure
>>
>>33731106
>But I write a lot and am still shit.
Boi some of us have been writing since the dawn of this damn show, and let me tell you: You can't make all the mistakes yourself. You just don't have time to. If you wanna gid gud you're gonna have to keep reading shit and watching others rip it apart.
>>
Apparently the raridash fanfic contest ended up causing quite a bit of frustration
apologies for the mobile screenshot I just had to share
>>
File: lewd twilight senpai.png (1018 KB, 733x2200)
1018 KB
1018 KB PNG
i need a plot for a twilight x shining armor incest fic. im thinking something along the lines of they have always been incestuous and during a visit from twilight to the crystal empire they are trying to sneak fuck without Cadance finding out. or maybe Cadance would be into it?
>>
>>33731521
I've been thinking about trying to write something along the lines of Twilight developing a spell based on changeling magic and disguising as Cadence either with the sole purpose of fucking him or it just happens and she rolls with it, but I can't write for shit so I probably won't.
>>
>>33731521
How about Shining casts the Want It, Need It spell on his dick and then waits in his bedroom for Cadence to show up. But then, uh oh, in a wacky turn of events his sister shows up instead, and then is overcome with an urge to get that dick.
>>
>>33731521
Cadence comes down with alicorn flu, which makes her magic get all loopy. While she's in bed, she gets a magic surge that makes everyone in the Crystal Empire get extremely horny. Not being able to contain themselves, Shiny and Twily fuck like there's no tomorrow until they both pass out (Shining passes out first, but Twilight keeps going for a round or two) One year later, the birthrates have skyrocketed and the Empire starts expanding.
>>
>>33731443
Damn, what was the name of the contest? I want to know more.
>>
File: 1427135.png (577 KB, 1600x1295)
577 KB
577 KB PNG
>>33731740
http://raridashdoodles.tumblr.com/post/183885139634/twilight-have-read-and-graded-all-your
>>
>>33731749
Wow what a fucker.

Can someone explain to me how raridash even makes sense as a ship outside of this person drawing them together? They share none of the same interests, and they don't even have that 'opposites attract' angle that rarijack does. They're mutually exclusive to each other.
>>
>>33731874
They're friends.
That's more than enough reason for some people.
>>
>>33731874
Lonely nerds mistaking friendship for love, because they've never really experienced either.
>>
>>33731874
I think it's mostly that they just want the ship to happen?
Still, it doesn't make much sense, like how Rarijack doesn't make sense in the context of Equestria. In the context of Equestria Girls, however, they've practically outright shouted 'RARIJACK' into everyone's ear, with both Rollercoaster of Friendship (with the Les Yay moments) and Spring Breakdown (Ragamuffin being Applejack's literal opposite-sex clone, anyone?
>>
>>33731874
The stories were shit, I'm glad he called them out and caused a minor outrage

Anyway all ships are just fantasies, so saying they're mutually exclusive but "opposites attract" doesn't apply is only because you don't want to apply it
all inter-M6 ships are basically "they're friends = they're fucking", so you can just watch Rarity Investigates and off you go

>>33732129
>Ragamuffin being Applejack's literal opposite-sex clone
If you're boiling Applejack down to "the orange one with an accent" then yeah
>>
>>33728176
>Voiceguy goes down Shin's rabbit hole but gets scared

Wait why did I get scared?
>>
>>33732146
>If you're boiling Applejack down to "the orange one with an accent" then yeah
Well, true. But they both have green eyes, blonde hair, and a freckled face.
>>
>>33729336
last week I was out of the country. wrote almost an entire one-shot, but didn't have time to finish it before I got back. this week, despite being at home and not at work (long break, go me), I wrote nothing.
why am I like this?
>>
I'm having trouble finding a FiM or if it was a pastebin I don't remember, but i do remember it being titled "In the Mountains" where Humans were like the fabled Dwemer from Elder Scroll leaving behind massive ruins that were never explored due to the deadly machines there in. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>33732197
It's called 'Deep in the Mountains.' I think it's still being updated, albeit very infrequently. Ask the RGRE thread for more details, that's where it's from.
https://pastebin.com/N9Kp3X8j
>>
>>33730473
>Pinkie
>not a Bard
Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>33730545
DnD is a fundamentally combat based system. It's right in the title. I know that DnD is the standard and you might have little choice in what you can play, but it's just how things are - if you want to do mainly non-combat, then you don't want to play DnD.
>>
>>33730780
I can't see how that story would work. Give her a library and she becomes god.
>>
>>33731521
Holy fuck that art is so bad.
>>
>>33732163
It was starting to convince you it was a good story.
>>
>HPN20 fans
My brothers in good taste. Is there a plot hole in the second book? Draco switches out Milo's wand for a fake during the duel, but the fake wand works just fine at the end of the book when dairyRiddle uses it.
>>
File: 1417384300679.png (66 KB, 141x196)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>33732607
>>
>>33732741
Don't worry bro I got you covered
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/429190/the-longest-day
>>
File: 1751828.png (224 KB, 2247x1388)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>33732743
goddammit
>>
>want to check if there were any updates to the breast milk story
>the third chapter got removed instead
huh
>>
>>33730966
sheriff?
>>
>>33730966
Breeding Sow.
>>
File: 1554591851044.gif (504 KB, 864x486)
504 KB
504 KB GIF
>>33732749
See?! I'm not crazy!
>>
Gonna write a story about the bravest space marine the USMC (United States Marine Corps) (Israel Foreign Auxiliary) has ever known teleporting to Equestria, fighting a manticore, and hubreeding the thicc big tiddy haybunnies (anthro).
>>
>>33732979
don't do that
>>
>>33732979
do that
>>
>>33731874
there's literally episode about it called "The End in Friend". Watch the show, fucker.
>>
File: boop'st'd've.png (431 KB, 1024x576)
431 KB
431 KB PNG
>>33733413
that's a shit episode that does the ship more disservice than anything to be fair
>>
>>33732743
Has anyone actually read this? I've not picked it up since back when it was 3 chapters and only on fanfiction.net
>>
>>33732438
I have to begrudgingly admit that it has good ideas. But it's marred by the fact that the protagonist is a boring, unlikable cunt.
But even AAG is better than The Chase. I've been doing these 'every time I die I narrate the chase' streams when I play CoD games, and there's a fucking bit where Diamond Tiare gets stung right on her pussy by hundreds of bees.

I was screaming in horror.
>>
>>33733748
>there's a fucking bit where Diamond Tiare gets stung right on her pussy by hundreds of bees
haha dude what
>>
>>33733748
Well shit, you've just given me a new sex move. My girlfriend's never going to see that coming. Her twin sister, Lefty, will have to help her deal with the bees.
>>
>>33732213
Why isn't this on FiMFiction?
>>
>>33733748
Did they do a collab with BSting or something
>>
Finished To Perytonia.
If anyone cares for a random asshole's review: Adventure was fine. Perytons were interesting, but the herons could have been elaborated on a bit. Romance sucked balls. Fluttershy was a stupid bitch and it was really irritating.

Gonna read Celestia Code and it's sequels next. Any suggestions for 30k+ shipfics?
>>
>>33733413
>The episode where Dash and Rarity admit that they're only friends because they're forced to be fiends
>Proving Raridash

These things are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>33734622
>Fluttershy was a stupid bitch
>not Rainbow Dash
u wot m8
>>
>>33732979
Don't steal my ideas, Anon.
>>
>>33734769
She broke up with Dash, because she couldn't be bothered to tell her she liked being pushed.
Rainbow Dash was a bit dense worrying about hurting her, but Fluttershy was the one who needed to communicate what was wrong.
>>
updated
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/436540/applejacks-treekickin-california-adventure
>>
>write as story to have indepth concrete writing
>"This story is too much and needs an editor, you need to cut out a lot"
>write a story to have cut out to the point story telling
>"there isn't enough description or depth, by that fact, the story is abysmal."

What the fuck do you want then?
>>
>>33735218
Balance, nigger.
The story must have nough meat to make it interesting, but not so much that it is overbearing.
>>
>>33735236
and what the hell does that constitute and where do I learn how to balance my writing then?
>>
>>33735239
Experience.
>>
>>33735239
Read a lot. A whole lot. That will help you identify when a story is going overboard and when it's lacking substance.
Train yourself to do this and it'll become easier to do when you're writing.
>>
>>33735218
>Approver straight up saying 'your story is abysmal'
Brutal
>>
>>33735483
>>33735535
I'll try
>>
>>33734622
Dunno about everyone else but I dropped the whole Celestia Code series after they did the ship in there dirty. I really didn't fuckin like it.
Adventure was fine there too though. If you're going into Celestia Code looking for the ships and romance, you might get mad like I did.

As for suggestions for romance, oh boy do I got a few for you, let me hook you up bro.
Family Tree - A great HiE mystery fic, has some of the best Pinkie I've ever seen.
Bugging Out - Another HiE, has a lot of bugs in it. A pretty fun read.
The Haunting - Here's another HiE, really good slice of life stuff in this one. No grand adventures or anything, just a dude wanting to live his life.
The Boopening - A bit of a memey fic, but fun none the less. More HiE.
Bedbound and Beyond - I tend to read a lot of HiE. In this one, the Human gets fucked up and has to lie down in a hospital bed for a long time.
C'est la vie - A pretty decent romance fic, has a really hot smut scene. Doesn't bullshit you a lot either.

A Change in Fashion - NOT HiE. A fic about a bug becoming a fashion model and meeting Coco Pommel. I dont think this fic bullshits you too much either, I remember liking it a lot.
Fractured Sunlight - A pretty interesting EQG romance fic. I normally really dont like images in my fics, because they break up the text and are fucking annoying, since I read on mobile mostly, but the images in this one are smaller, directly tie into the scene, and are pretty okay in my book.
Green - I remember this fic throws a lot of bullshit at you and it also sucks you in by saying its a Rarity x Fluttershy fic, but it ends up including like 5 other ships and touching on two more, it's pretty fucking crazy.
The Greatest Treasure - A crossover fic, Celestia lands in Middle Earth and meets Smaug. It's not as dumb as it sounds, and it was pretty good.
Bug in The Herd - Chrysalis meets a pony OC who nurses her back to health. It's a pretty heartwarming fic, shorter at 44k words.
>>
>>33735671
>Green
I vaguely remember someone being upset at that story and tearing it a new asshole
>>
>>33735677
I'm really not surprised. You start reading it for Rarity x Fluttershy and it throws all this other shit in your face.

>>33735671
btw what I call bullshit in fics is stuff that makes your eyes roll, tropes like misunderstandings causing a lot of drama, drama for dramas sake, stuff that makes you just sigh and want to get this section over with. etc.

Going Bump in The Night - A HiE fic where the human is shipped with a batpony. I remember this fic as the fic that sold me on batponies.
Lyra's Confession/BonBon's Acceptance - A threesome herd HiE fic. Honestly I liked Bonbon's Acceptance more than the first, it tackles some neat stuff you don't usually see in romance fics.
The Sun & The Rose - Another HiE, but on the more realistic side. In a lot of HiE romance fics you get shit where the human has no problems fucking the horses, but in this, the guy actually has a few problems doing it. Because they're horses.
Exchange - A great adventure/romance HiE, I'm due for a reread on this, but I remember it being really good. And my friend raves about it almost constantly.

Sunset Reset - I remember this series being pretty fucking wild, has its fair share of bullshit in it, but I really like Sunny and I had fun reading it.
Changeling Doll - A really fun read where a bug has this utterly insane idea of pretending to be a life-size friend doll, for Twilight Sparkle.
The Games We Play - A neat mystery/romance fic, I had a lot of fun reading this.
Affliction of The Heart (Series) - The first one is the best one, but I had a lot of fun reading the sequels too. It's about a bug and a royal guardspony falling in love.
The Best Night Ever - Groundhog day but Blueblood instead of Bill Murray. Certainly a fun read.

And that's all I got on my favs list, any more and I'd be going into my Approved shelf, stuff that I read and liked, but it didn't make the cut for favs.
>>
>>33735698
>Changeling Doll - A really fun read where a bug has this utterly insane idea of pretending to be a life-size friend doll, for Twilight Sparkle.
I remember this one starting out wonderful and then at one point near the end it just decided to randomly procure a serious edgy plot for some reason. Is it still incomplete btw?
>>
>>33735706
Still dead, unfortunately.
I read it a while ago, but I don't remember that edgy plot you're mentioning, I might have to look around for it later though.

Just looked through it, the thing with Celestia? I don't think that was too bad, seemed like it would go back to its normal slice of life-y sort of thing pretty quick after that, but it never got the chance to since its incomplete.
>>
>>33735710
I don't remember what it was, but I do remember that one moment it was an absurd/random comedy done well, and the next it had a deep plot and the changeling doll apparently had some ulterior motives etc.
I should probably reread it though, since I did enjoy most of it a lot.
>>
>>33734622
>Celestia Code
I've really lost track of if this fic is actually good or if it's just popular.
>>
>>33735890
First one was imo actually good, that's how it got popular, the sequels not so much
still read them except for Skyla that one I just skimmed through to get a vague sense of what happened in it, the one before that already started losing me
>>
>>33735944
Celestia was good
Luna had that god-awful Twiluna shipping. I don't care if it had an in-universe excuse, that shit was painful to read
Twilight was just weird
Skyla was pretty good again. Just a good old-fashioned adventure fic for most of it
>>
>>33736187
Yeah the Twiluna really tanked the second one, third with the sort of fausticorn (iirc?) was where I kinda stopped giving a shit about the story and Skyla with the parallel universes and the little shit didn't interest me because the meat of the story wasn't pony/equestria related, it went off the rails with the Twilights too
>>
>>33729135 >>33732287
Male characters with female siblings? Besides Shining, there's Big Macintosh, Pound Cake, Timber Spruce, Zephyr Breeze and...?

I thought there might be some in the extended Apple family, or the Hooffields or McColts; but none confirmed that I could find.
>>
>>33730265
>no source
You're a monster, you know that?
>>
>6 submissions to the contest already
Better crank up those typewriters, you invalids. If you aren't ready your story will drown in the surrounding smut.
Not to mention the newest entrant clearly doesn't want to be paid for his work.

>>33735218
Overly verbose writing, if unnecessary, tends to drag. Too little detail? Readers have difficulty grasping what's there.
For the most part, you want:
>enough story that it can carry the reader along
>enough scene that the story doesn't exist in a vacuum
and
>little enough that neither each, nor the total, overstays the reader's attention span.
Not much else I can say about it. Also not a pro, so take from this what you will.
>>
>>33730265
why was it deleted lol? She was not even sucking him
>>
>>33738883
Such suggestive behaviour is not appropriate for a family website like 4channel.
>>
File: 3158.png (33 KB, 993x262)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>33733868
>>
>>33739081
That's actually kinda hot
>>
>>33739081
lol what the fuck

Is this supposed to be a horror scene, a fetish scene, or some baffling mixture of the two? Does Diamond Tiara punch anyone while wearing a bear costume?
>>
>>33739210
She calls Dinky a retard, and Dinky goes apeshit like a retard would and summons a horde of bees with magic. So I guess it's supposed to be a 'revenge' scene?
>>
>>33738242
I feel a sudden urge to reread that "wow anon, was your father really that powerful?" greentext.
>>
Requesting a fic where Fluttershy attends a prog rock concert. Think
https://youtu.be/c47UdP9byvM
https://youtu.be/MM_G0IRLEx4
>>
>>33729810
You mean apart from porn/fetish-related ideas? Plenty of those.

How do you feel about pun-based ideas? HiE ideas? EU-based ideas?

Or I guess you could talk to >>33740146.

>>33731521
I feel like that's probably been done. Though I guess it can always be done again.

What if filly Twilight raped Shining in a pubescent magic surge, not comprehending anything wrong with it or any reason he might object?

What if Twilight transformed herself into a stallion to try to help Shining be more confident as a mare? (Ignore Magic Duel, or say that Twilight leveled up or something.)

What if Twilight found out/convinced herself that she and Shining were the reincarnations of Clover the Clever and her lover/husband/wife?
>>
>>33729929
>Anthro
Not surprised you don't have any replies.

>>33730117
https://www.fimfiction.net/group/200623/folder/25341/ponies-playing-games ?

>>33730237
What about the time travel?

>>33730874
I didn't think MLP geography was well-defined or consistent enough to have sides of hemispheres. It's not even consistent whether they're on a sphere at all.

>>33735218
Since you didn't say it was the same commenter, I'm guessing it wasn't.

>>33735671
>they did the ship in there dirty
Who did the what in where how?

>The Boopening - A bit of a memey fic, but fun none the less. More HiE.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/435554/the-boopening doesn't have a Human tag.

>>33735677
Was it Zaid?

>>33735698
>on the more realistic side. In a lot of HiE romance fics you get shit where the human has no problems fucking the horses, but in this, the guy actually has a few problems doing it. Because they're horses.
Meanwhile, I'd seen that in enough HiE stories that I just assumed thaht it was standard. I don't really see what makes it "realistic"; or what the narrative purpose of it is. A contrived "flaw" for the protagonist to "overcome"? An attempt to make them "relateable" to lure imagined normie readers?

>>33738401
>Not to mention the newest entrant clearly doesn't want to be paid for his work.
Who? And that's a bad thing?
>>
>>33732129
>Rarijack doesn't make sense in the context of Equestria
lol wut

>Les Yay moments
>>>/tvtropes/

>>33732146
(You)
>>
>>33739899
What what greentext?
>>
>>33740463
>Who? And that's a bad thing?
'The Elusive Badgerpony' and no, it's not bad. I'm just surprised anyone would forfeit free money. The guy paying up isn't shelling to anthro or >filthy nohooves
>>
>>33740588
>The guy paying up isn't shelling to anthro or >filthy nohooves
Based.
>>
>Trying to write a big important speech for a character but have writer's block
>>
>>33740146
Oh and this song too please
https://youtu.be/SvrOzYtnLMA

thank you so much
>>
>>33740463
>What about the time travel?
Oh yeah, I always forget about what the later seasons did to that.
>>
File: It's like 50 pages.png (109 KB, 663x761)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>33740479
The one where stallions have to fuck their mothers to become adults.

>>33741348
Skim Atlas Shurgged.
>>
>>33742349
>Skim Atlas Shurgged
No thanks, I'm not a masochist.
>>
File: file.png (224 KB, 694x578)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>33741348
Find some speeches that seem relevant to what your speech is going to be about, then read them.

>>33742349
Don't do this.
>>
File: Rite of passage.png (1022 KB, 1040x5080)
1022 KB
1022 KB PNG
>>33742349
>>
Did a post get deleted? My bookmark isn't snapping me down to where I left off this thread.
>>
>>33743046
I think >>33736569 did
>>
>>33740463
>they did the ship in there dirty
>Who did the what in where how?
In Celestia Code, they set up a lesbian ship but it doesn't go anywhere because one of them isn't a lesbian. This is fine, a ship not going anywhere is okay, but what happens basically immediately the day or so after the lesbian finds a new person to pine over. And then in the sequel, Luna Cypher, apparently the not-lesbian that I mentioned earlier, goes lesbian for another mare.
That's why I think the author did the ship dirty, I have no idea why the romance angle was even in there, they could have just been written as good friends and nothing would have changed. It just feels like padding and ship-bait to me.
The adventure in Celestia Code is great though.

>doesn't have a Human tag.
Sorry, I didn't realize there were multiple. It's this one.
ttps://www.fimfiction.net/story/344262/the-boopening
>>
>>33740463
>Meanwhile, I'd seen that in enough HiE stories that I just assumed that it was standard. I don't really see what makes it "realistic"; or what the narrative purpose of it is. A contrived "flaw" for the protagonist to "overcome"? An attempt to make them "relateable" to lure imagined normie readers?
Really? We must be barking up different trees then, any good fics you've seen?

As for the realism thing, I guess it's more a trait of the times. The Human in Rose & Sun is a knight from the Medieval ages. I don't think its just a contrived flaw, and I don't think it was any attempt to get normies to read it. A major part of the fic is the Humans personal struggle of trying to disassociate his love from the beasts of burden he knows of from home.
So, a little bit more details. The mare was initially on Earth, and in the form of a human. The knight and the mare fell in love, got married, and then she found a way to get back to Equestria. So he has to sort his own feelings, realizing now that his wife was a pony the whole time.

Seeing as most of the HiE that I've read features humans that are xenophiles, reading this one was a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>33744259
I enjoyed Sun & The Rose as well, but personally I found the protagonist & Celestia to act a bit gratingly OOC at times
HiEs I have in my 'Very good' folder are
>Lord Barleycorn
>The Whittler
>ARTICLE 2
>Bad Mondays
>Souls Apart
>Quantum Castaways
>Grossly Incandescent
>Dexter's Lab: Equestria
>I Come From a Land Down Under
Not big on HiEs myself, but would recommend them to people who don't usually like HiEs
>>
>>33744259
>Really? We must be barking up different trees then, any good fics you've seen?
I don't really see "HiE" as compatible with "good"; sorry.

Also, would someone not primed by the show's title and presumable translation conventions really see Equestrians as "horses"? Especially someone closely familiar with actual horses?
>>
>>33745156
>I don't really see "fanfic" as compatible with "good"; sorry.
>>
>>33744868
>I Come From a Land Down Under
Is that about the guy finding himself with changelings? I remember finding it decent but ultimately dropping it out of boredom.
>>
>>33745184
That too.
>>
>start reading Memoirs of a Royal Guard so you can get to the warfic story
>it's 140,000 words of Nothing Happens: The Story
It also has this strange amalgamation of canon Luna and the fanfic Luna who fucks around playing games all day and not doing any actual government work. I thought it was a 2011 fic until I checked and saw it was from 2014. And faggot hater anon would love the bigoted father and lesbian sister subplots.

>>33728194
>Death, Violence, Sex
>Comedy
Every time.

>>33724699
>died of severe blood lose
>from botox
Wouldn't she die of botulism?

>>33725089
>How many ships does the US have in drydock?
The reserve fleet has 98 ships currently, most of which aren't combat ships. There's currently 36 named ships being build, two of which are supercarriers.

>>33729810
>that hasn't really been tried yet
I've still yet to encounter a really good mirror universe fic. Sunrise and Fire came close, then it died.

>>33730966
The Oranges appear to be incredibly wealthy Manehattan socialites who have a very nice relationship with Applejack, so she could hop over to whatever business they're in, and given it's Manehatten, that'd probably be either some kind of merchantile company or banking.

>>33731009
>write a popular multichapter story
>announce a sequel once it's done
It's how I got most of mine.

>>33731443
>4chan notification
There's a 4chan app?

>>33733748
Must have been written by bee sting anon.

>>33735218
>to have indepth concrete writing
Now I'm imagining a story about an OC who's a concrete engineer designing and building Canterlot Castle.
>>
>>33745552
>4chan app
Several, Clover is the most popular one, works for some other chans too
>>
>>33745552
>it's 140,000 words of Nothing Happens: The Story
Then why didn't you stop reading? If the first 140k words are shit, then I have serious doubts that the rest of the fic will be good enough to be worth reading all 140k of shit. Do you have nothing else on your reading list?
>>
>10 hours with no posts
>>
How long until the first story about a cultural landmark burning down?
>>
>>33747756
DYEWTS? Twilight's treehouse burned down forever ago.
>>
Could >>33745916 work to narrate fanfics?
>>
Which writer/what fic is the Edgar Allen Poe of fimfiction?
>>
>>33746270
>Then why didn't you stop reading?
It wasn't badly written, was tagged SoL so there weren't really lofty targets, and there was always an expectation (muh griffons, muh officer drama, etc.) things would pick up a bit, but never did. In hindsight, it was missing the background elements that help keep longer SoL fics interesting, like things happening in Canterlot Castle (meetings to guard, bureaucrats to organize, Luna doing anything at all, etc.) or minor political drama.

It's one of those fics that baits you into continuing to read it, then when you realize you're 80% of the way through and there's no rewarding climax coming and the SoL just wasn't rewarding enough, it's too late and you've already wasted six hours reading it.
>>
I'm sure whoever PMed me awhile ago was from this thread, so I'll reiterate from there:

I didn't select the stories that got into the compilation; it was a public poll. Polls have a side effect of being popularity contests, which is why two most viewed one-shots on Fimfiction are here. Nothing insidious in that.

The poll results are public too. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gHzIh5KLrPWaIzskJ7D28JHEhvC5iPu0Y9vsqJMrp7g/ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lK4zTUo_4SWZwGUqjtjQ_qNAtEC38NtBBeDoJdz2ZK8/
The first round was for write-ins, best 50 of which (based on vote count, views, and like-to-view ratio) were passed on to round 2, where one could vote for up to 10 of their favorites.
>>
>>33749288
What fics have made it in? I'd love to see this thread tell us why your voters have bad taste.
>>
>>33749431
Stuff like My Little Dashie
>>
File: unknown-2.png (30 KB, 267x338)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>33749431
Ordered best-to-worst in my opinion so you could shit on my taste instead.
The people's tastes can be utter horseshit - they'll buy a book if it aligns with them.
>>
>>33749446
Huh, I guess I'll ignore everything under 'Sunny Skies All Day Long'. That seems to be where the power gap is.
>>
>>33749446
there are three fics in that list that are remotely worth reading.
>>
>>33749886
Why are you gay?
>>
>>33749896
Who says I'm gay?
>>
>>33749936
Everyone. including your mother
>>
>>33750016
I'm that anons mother and I don't say that. You are gay.
>>
>>33728176
If every fucking writer on Fimfiction just learned to directly rip-off episode concepts from the cartoon show then they would have been hired at Hasbro ages ago. (and then told us that their scripts are murdered by the investors and executives in the final product)

But still, if these writers were more organized and understood the market then they would have tried to focus all their efforts since season 1 to give the middle finger and show off "Here's how this episode could have been executed better" and then a secondary point would be made "Here's how this concept would have been far better if we changed the entire plot of it".

They and everyone in the 2010s are dumb. They don't realize that even if you're good nobody will know you were there. I don't think I've read more than 30 fanfics, most of which were garbage in ideas and actions.

When you're up against shit, your mediocrity gets a massive bonus and suddenly everyone's praising you like Jesus. So even if you suck, you cannot suck more than Hasbro.
>>
>>33750016
>he doesn't know the meme
>>
>>33750090
I'm your mother, and we both know my grandson is gay.
>>
>>33750226
Mom, stop enabling Anon's gay ideas! He's going to grow to be a good christian boy!
>>
For those who were waiting, Cold in Gardez is posting the final chapter of The Archetypist tomorrow.

It's been real solid so far, very excited to see how it ends.
>>
>>33750522
Cool, I can binge it over the weekend, then.
>>
>>33749446
man I only read like three of them and seen the RDP for Star in Yellow
I should catch up probably
>>
>>33750739
The best I can say is that, sans a few, none of them are bad.
>>
>>33729810
Has anyone written a first-hand account of the fall of the alicorns? Maybe from the perspective of some cosmic being, sealing them in the firmament (ignoring that comets exist), and the sun and moon are actually the sisters' mom and dad?

(Too bad the fanon that they became changelings is dead. Maybe windigos, but I can't think of a very good explanation for it.)
>>
>>33751516
>the sun and moon are actually the sisters' mom and dad?
Or vice versa. Didn't mean to imply a particular correspondence.

Or they were going to destroy the universe, and they were sealed by ancient heroes using the Elements of Harmony? Do the latest seasons still leave room for unknown backstory of the Elements?
>>
>>33750109
>be anon
>think doing thing is a good idea
>be perfectly capable of doing thing
>don't do thing
>complain on mongolian throat-singing BBS that nobody else is doing thing for you
>>
New chapter, and better title this time.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/436540/sweet-apple-california
>>
Fuck you guys, you spoiled my tastes. Now everytime I try to get into some new fandom's fanfiction all I see is "bad" shit and """good""" mediocrity.
>>
>>33750174
then its not much of a meme, now is it?
>>
File: nani.gif (115 KB, 600x329)
115 KB
115 KB GIF
>>33752559
Is... "he doesn't know the meme" the meme?
>>
>>33752237
Be sure to let them know.
>>
>>33753274
>crunchyroll watermark
shill
>>
>be cracking out 2K words of gud smut for the contest
>the getting is getting good, kicking ass
>this is gonna win fo sho
but then
>BSOD
>boot to black just before login
>Okay, i can fix thi-
>OS mismatch, can't repair with USB
>corrupt SYS files, can't even tell which ones because the ones that tell me what's fucked, are themselves fucked
>pulling files from backup to main disk does nothing
>can't do native repair cause those are borked as well
>literally_nothing_werks.tar
>spent the whole day just to roll onto the backup and start pulling back profiles manually

I know one of you fucks had something to do with this. Can't let competition get in the way, huh?
>>
>>33755232
It's punishment for not using cloud services.
>>
Redlightponyville.com
>>
Just read a pon fic
>>
File: 1527465076432.png (412 KB, 500x667)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>tfw you find and reread a fic you read ages ago remember liking a lot and it is in fact pretty good
>>
Does anyone else not like reading short fics? I don't know where the cut-off is for me, but anything less than 20k words just feels like it's a waste of time to me. Sure, it's decent light entertainment, but it just feels sort of hollow. It's not like I find them forgettable, it's more like there's nothing to remember or any food for thought in them. At least with a longer fic my mind has enough to go on that I'm still thinking about the fic months after reading, but 20k never makes that cut.

Is it just a quality vs quantity issue? Or am I on to something?

>>33755232
Run a Linux live CD and do whatever needs to be done to make the drive stop thinking that's it's hibernated (Windows 10 is weird like that, I think that you just need to delete one obscure file). Afterwards, you should be able to access your old drive as if it was a big USB stick. I'd suggest following that up with installing Linux, because you're never going to pay the money to get Windows working again and I imagine that this might've been the last straw for you..
>>
>>33755993
No, I agree. I think a couple of threads ago there was a big discussion about this, about how short fics can be really good, sure, but that still doesn't make them anything more than a 10-minute light entertainment break. To really be a lasting experience, the story itself must last.
>>
>>33750016
>>33752559
Here's the meme btw, just for you guys: >>>/wsg/2805009
>>
>>33755993
It was win 7. Didn't need the Linux live boot since I have dual boot set up (but never use it, like a dummy), and just booted to the backup anyways.
>Last straw
Not quite, but I'm closing in on that. The biggest hurdle will be getting used to the debian UI, then getting the boot to not insta-default to windows every time I switch and make a backup. After that, I'm sure I can make that my daily.
>>
>>33756137
>getting used to the debian UI
GNOME? It's not a problem as long as you've not got a version from like 2015.
>>
>>33756137
>I have dual boot set up (but never use it)
Story of my fucking life. "I-I swear I'll stop using the botnet next week! Right now I don't wanna reboot though..." "Oh it restarted for updates, well it's already booted into windows so I guess I'll just login..."
>>
File: no_garbo.png (1.67 MB, 1000x1044)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
Hello my friends I've come to shill yet again

I wrote a fic for RockstarRaccoon's Nightmare Night in April contest; know you guys are focused on the incest (how could you not be with all those dank incentives) but this one could be good to tackle if you got the extra time

besides you can just be the ultimate madlad and write a crosspost to both the incest and the horror contests like I'm in the process of :^)

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/437023/the-river-reversed

it's about time anomalies and all that good shit

h8 r8 masturb8
>>
>>33756795
You're in luck, bby.
I like horror and yours is just the right size to have a quick fun time.
>>
>>33756148
The botnet is much harder to escape than that.
>>
>>33756857
owo
>>
>>33756137
>debian
I've been using nothing but Artix Linux (Arch Linux for hipsters, which is already Gentoo for hipsters, which is already Manjaro for extra hispters) on my laptop for a year and it's done splendidly. Have to unfuck it every few days due to some obscure safety and or hardware peculiarity, but the thing is: *I can unfuck it*. And it stays unfucked *forever*. And I know how to unfuck it the next time it happens, if ever, and know how to unfuck similar looking things. With Winbotnet, all I get is UH OH I DONE A BAD OOPSIE WOOPSIE :( and I'm screwed into another complete system reinstall.

Now all I need to do is unfuck the arch dualboot I have on my main compooper, but its other boot of Windows 8.1 works just fine. And it can be (mostly) debotnetted. And it's a lot less painful to play video gaymes on it.

At least get something akin to Red Hat or similar. Never Ubuntu. I personally like Arch's whole pacman thing, but every distribution out there worth its shit has its own. Pacman just happens to work quite a lot like conda, so it's nice.
>>
File: mylittlevoid.png (75 KB, 1920x1080)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>33756137
>>33757032
>not using Void Linux
>>
fucking nerds
>>
>>33757183
Nerds don't fuck, though.
>>
>>33755983
Fic name?

>>33756795
It's in the list ;)
>>
>>33757372
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/304040/bad-girl-twilight
>>
>>33755232
>write like half a story for the contest
>put it down, figure i'll pick it up later that day
>weeks pass
I'll get it done by the end of the month, I swear.
>>
>>33757601
What are you doing right now that's so important, huh?
>>
>>33757607
I'm just kind of lying on a couch, I guess.
>>
>>33757625
You can write while lying on a couch. You just wrote ten words while replying to me.
See? You've got this.
>>
>>33757635
I suppose. We'll see what I can get done.
>>
>>33757676
Do your best, Anon.
>>
Don't worry lads I'm in the same situation. I have pretty much given up on the contest now
I do need to revise for exams too, which I guess is an excuse, but I'm not even doing that. Maybe the AI anons can help me grok RBF networks and SVMs
>>
https://www.strawpoll.me/17843072
Alright, polling about those contestants. I wanna know what the numbers are.
>>
>>33757032
>Never Ubuntu
Other than their shitty version of GNOME, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>33757957
Posted mine and got many downvotes. Deleted it in shame. Was 3000 words too.
>>
>>33758022
Was it the one that was like 4th or 5th submitted? I saw it. Was gonna go through and see what was wrong for myself.
Were you at least able to identify some problems?
>>
>>33758022
How do you even get downvotes on FimFic? Unless you're Bleeding, of course.
>>
>>33758060
Why does bleeding constitute downvotes? Unless your some kind of hater that downvotes for no reason other than spite perhaps.
>>
>>33758049
Yea, got the book The Elements of Style so I could finally get out of this mundane negativity fiesta.
>>
>>33758141
B, baby, we've been over this. Your type of stories invites downovtes because they're not good.
>>
File: 1555634164829.png (181 KB, 1440x2560)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
>>33757957
Pffffft
>>
>>33756795
>I wrote a fic for RockstarRaccoon
How Rational is it?
>>
>>33757032
Debian is where it's at, though. I spent a couple years making my way through increasingly hipster Gentoo variants: Gentoo, Gentoo with Paludis, Gentoo with Paludis and custom multilib support hacked in (before they added the real deal), Exherbo bootstrapped via LFS. Eventually I got tired of fucking with it, since I wasn't really learning anything interesting by doing so any more. So I switched to Debian, which is sort of the sysadmin's version of a "just werks" distro.
>>
>>33758315
When's the deadline for this thing, anyway?
>>
>>33758370
not overly
>>
>>33730432
Honestly it needs a break after the fucking shitshow the Discord arc turned into.

The commenters went fucking insane.
>>
>>33758690
Really?
I never read the comments, what happened?
>>
>>33758700
Just this big fucking to-do about if Discord was abusive or if the OG DM was abusive and I legit think it might've messed with the writing a bit. It was like every story beat over and over was just how the players were being abused even though the co-dm clearly backed off when told "Hey that's too far".

The ending of the Discord arc being "idk this sucks i quit." is really frustrating too. I was hoping for MORE adventure not more of the gm letting her players walk all over her. As a GM the entire arc frustrated me because we went from some really fun, creative challenges to the same stuff we covered in Rariry's thieves guild arc.

idk maybe I'm high, what did you think?
>>
File: 1433389561319.jpg (60 KB, 393x407)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>mfw writing for contest
>mfw haven't written in awhile
>mfw everything I've ever written I've never posted
>mfw I don't even know if my fic will get traction because I'm a literally who
>mfw I haven't even gotten to the sexing part, just lots of teasing/tension
I'm gonna finish it I swear, I'm horribly unproductive with tasks I hate doing so I figure I should at least be productive with tasks I like doing.
>>
File: mp.gif (64 KB, 350x360)
64 KB
64 KB GIF
>>33758822
>>
>>33758148
you better read a few good books and try to copy the writer's style than wasting ur time on this useless crap.
>>
File: archlinux.gif (291 KB, 267x199)
291 KB
291 KB GIF
>>33757983
Just like you should never trust a male feminist, you should never trust a Linux "desktop" distribution.
>>
>>33758822
>tfw write romance involving one of the sisters on a near weekly basis
>*know* I'm good at this from several trustworthy sources
>have a great tongue-in-cheek idea in mind already
>but have to finish approximately four projects due next week and deal with so much shit that I'll be lucky to pump it out at all
>>
>>33758473
Think it's open til the end of April.
Y'all think I should enter it? I'm pretty decent at smut but kinda indifferent to incest.
>>
>>33759108
Give it a shot, Anon.
>>
>>33759097
SpikeJack a cute.
>>
File: +dsasa.jpg (7 KB, 200x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>and itfucking destroyed her
>I… fucking shit
Why?
>>
>>33759121
Guess I'll dust off the old fimfic account. I wonder if a Twilight x Sparkler fic would fit the criteria, since they're siblings in the Kickerverse... I'm just so disinterested in most of the canon siblings as a pairing.
Might just say fuck it and do a Hothoof x Rainbow story. I can actually think of a premise for that.
>>
Well, I'm dropping Fractured Sunlight at chapter 5. There are a couple of things that ticked me of, for example this
>>33759194 , but a scene where Twilight laughs for 30 minutes is too edgy for me. Fuck whoever said this was good.

I'm reading Regi's fic next.
>>
>>33759252
Eh, I read it a long time ago. I thought it was good but honestly don't remember it that well.
>>
>>33750522
That ending was not what I expected. Still no idea what to think about it.
>>
File: Celestia1351306203763.jpg (213 KB, 1280x1024)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>33758822
>mfw I recognize that Celestia picture

Still shooting for a contest story, but my progress is way too slow. Good luck, Anon.
>>
>>33759402
Yeah I was actually super disappointed by the ending and I'm not sure I can recommend it anymore. Another unfortunate case of a great story and a great journey that faceplants just in front of the finish line.
>>
The fuck is an INO?
>>
>>33758370
Funny, I was just about the mention about how non-cancerous the past few threads have been.
>>
Something something Chain Beat.

>>33758700
Isn't half of the point of FiD the comments section?
>>
File: 1171994.png (143 KB, 1028x740)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>33760220
There's no greater or more interesting recommendation than "great story that goes to shit at the end," maybe if you added "written by Andre."

But yeah, mixed feelings. But not just on the ending, I saw that coming, but the journey itself. I'd still recommend reading it, it's interesting, thrilling, bit frustrating, but it's under 50k, you could waste two hours on much worse things. That's why I'll politely spoiler my rambled thinks.

I loved some of the ideas the fic pitched, I just think the execution sucked. Masquerading ambitions with dreams, as if everyone always dreams just about what they want to be, fine. But things start feeling off once the changes start propagating. Trixie wished her horn away, and this phases exactly one pony. Nobody even wonders how it's possible, should I believe that's the curse in effect? How come Twilight was the only "woke" one, then? The amount of nonchalantness puts me off. Dreams are literally coming true, that's huge. If Discord wanted to unfuck it, why did it take him so long to do anything? Why did it take so long to contact Luna? I can only take the deal with Twilight as a metaphor to her devotion to Celestia, but speaking of, where was she the entire fic? Where was Spike? Like halfway through I just kept wondering why the characters aren't doing what they should. Applehouse burns down, and that's okay, because now she's free~. Thank god no pony dreams of genocide, or becoming a god, or ending the world altogether, right? Starlight even admitted to dreaming of a better Our Town, but instead she just changes colors? That's one avenue I expected as a double-cross at the end. Predicted the Bad End from what was said, but Twilight said it herself, you can't really contain Discord. Didn't mind the ending, though.
I hate CiG's ultra mature and all-wise Shy. The image of ponies with scarred, swollen skin for eyes was disturbing.
Needed more thought and polish/10, but it's a captivating read.
>>
File: 1554455.png (243 KB, 1000x1000)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>33761439
Actually, I'm not done yet.
Twilight's ending was bullshit. Twilight's whole predicament was bullshit, she only got this whole idea from the book Discord shot without apparently any ulterior motive other than a pun. Shy dreams of not being shy and being a furry, AJ wants freedom, Rarity to be the best artist. Twilight wishes for... ignorance? By turning herself into a hardcore blind cultist? Everyone changes to reach their dreams, their goals and aspirations, meanwhile Twilight literally fucking sews her eyes shut. That's what she wanted deep down her whole life, ever since reading that book a week ago.
So I guess that the whole point was that Twilight was perfectly happy with how things were? That's an alright idea - Twilight is living the dream, so when her life changes because other ponies start living their dreams, that's a problem. But the fic itself shows that Twilight does not actually live the perfect life. Instead of bettering herself to an ideal, she is the only one fighting the change.
I can't help but think the whole sew your eyes shut business was there just because CiG wanted something with "deep" meaning and mainly for the shock value. If we're to assume only "good" dreams are fulfilled it doesn't make sense that Twilight's choice is to devote herself to her fake religion by developing hypersensitivity and staring into the sun. If we're to assume that all sorts of dreams and deep dark fantasies are coming true, the world probably shouldn't exist at that point in the first place.
Meh. At this point I feel like I'm putting more thoughts in the concepts than the fic did.

Alright, now I got it out of my system.
>>
>>33761439
>There's no greater or more interesting recommendation
I disagree. https://www.fimfiction.net/story/284135/the-one-who-got-away
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/19198/background-pony
And I know the "classics" (To Perytonia, Through The Well Of Pirene, etc.) this general has probably apply too, but I haven't read them yet so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>33762060
> I disagree.
With the polarization those employ, you ought to specify whether you think these don't have a shitty ending, or they do -and- make a lackluster recommendation.
> To Perytonia
With every new review proclaiming a 2017 story with three thousand views the best story ever written, it just keeps resembling an inside joke of Fimfic critics taken too far, like Sic Transit is.
>>
>>33762461
Oof :(
>>
Sparlight!
Featuring Trixie being a good friend.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/343054/accismus
>>
>>33762060
I mean that if you wanna pique my interest there are very few ways better than "it's really good before it completely flops", I'm not arguing about the actual quality of the fic or whatever you're doing there
>>
>>33763895
Not him, but I will admit that those fics are always interesting in terms of how much discussion they generate. A really good work gets enjoyed and that's pretty much it unless there's some sort of mystery to discuss, but a work that turns from good to shit generates endless discussion. TMA
>>
>>33763934
Yeah for real, if cG just said "it's good" I'd put it on the backburner to let it cook for a few weeks, forget about it and read it months later, but instead I had to find out what was up with it and read it immediately
>>
File: 1554944197526.jpg (137 KB, 800x533)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>33763934
>spoiler
Shut your fuck up
>>
>>33764824
yudkowsky
>>
>>33764848
He's different. It's basically impossible to discuss his work without discussing his ideology*, but all that you can really derive about Forthwidth from reading TMA is that she must've liked HPMOR and is clearly educated within an inch of her life.

*Example? Open the Spacebattles riff thread.

>>33764824
I'm not wrong. Most of the reason why I reread that fic was because I couldn't understand what happened to it.
>>
>>33764925
+ has a weird if not outright creepy fixation on motherhood
>>
>>33764972
Yeah, that's also there.

Poor girl. Academia almost literally costs you your firstborn child. It won't be long before she hits the age where it gets really fucking hard to get pregnant.
>>
File: renbo dersh.png (23 KB, 181x163)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>33765031
Don't you worry, that one somehow even creepier anon would be more than happy to help her out with that.
>>
>>33764925
I never said you were wrong, I just asked you to shut the hell your mouth and not bring this up here
>>33765031
Wait, it's a she? And she works in Academia?
>>
>>33765417
The Moon's Apprentice.
>>
>>33765417
It's not off topic.
>>
File: 1554486203096.jpg (100 KB, 720x680)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>33764848
>>33765440
SHUT YOUR FUCK SHUT
>>
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/432970/rarity-gets-enslaved

Finished writing my second story. Not fully published yet though. Unfortunately I won't be able to reach my goal of 500 unique views but oh well, happy I was able to finish it. Third story probably coming in a few months.
>>
>>33765920
>Rarity Gets Enslaved
>E tag
wtf is wrong with you, anon?
>>
>>33765930
It's an E story.
>>
brony writers are literal envy people. Always deriding other peoples success or attempts to because the said user can't write a story past a hundred words. They hate on a user for writing something that isn't in their liking and act like subhumans to their fellow man like some kind of disgusting troll.

Get a life you kids.
>>
>>33766355
did you forget to take your pills again bleeding
>>
>>33766409
Link me his latest fic, I want to see how badly he sucks
>>
>>33766657
https://www.fimfiction.net/user/65695/BleedingSequine/stories
Knock yourself out.
>>
>>33766844
Violence, death, and slice of life all in one thousand words?

What?
WHAT?

The picture also seems wildly inappropriate. She looks like an upper class horse whore.

Alright, lets read this thing...
>There was a crunch, several boots slammed against the dirt that a single slop of mud had been quieted by loud shots.
What? I'm not too sure what that even says. Is that supposed to be what hooks me on the rest of the story? I'm so fucking turned off.

Hell, upon reading that, my first response wasn't to keep reading, it was to scroll up and recheck the tags to see if this is HiE. It turns out that it's got the Human tag, but nothing in the synopsis had me expecting that.

Alright, lets assume good faith and finish the paragraph...
>A man covered in a green suit, a metallic hat with an engraved number sat on his head, and boots that were black and tall that ran up the side of his feet to his ankles. He raised his long-metallic, bolt-action rifle with a long barrel and a jutted ammo canister that protruded down its open ammo taker. Several of these men felt their shoes had dug into the death-filled expanse of earth. Many corpses had fallen into the cold, ever-accepting, life-eating planet that was below them.
Yeah, I'm fucking done. That's way too many adjectives for describing something that should be tense.
>>
>>33766844
God damn, I've genuinely never read a bleedin fic before. The most recent one is only 1k words and I'm pretty sure I tapped out after around 100. Are they all like this? Is he a master ruseman or does he genuinely think this shit is good?
>>
>>33767333
In his defence, that's an April 1st fic.
>>
>>33767333
From what I've gathered from a very quick skim, he has good ideas that are backed up by utterly irredeemable prose.
>>
Can anyone rec me a decently long fic that might make me use my brain a little? I've been reading a bunch of sub-10k word one shots and they're enjoyable but I'm in the mood to sink my teeth into something more substantial lately.
>>
>>33767377
Read https://www.fimfiction.net/story/434003/the-archetypist before CiG goes full damage control and changes the ending.
>>
>>33767384
Sounds like a plan, thanks anon.
>>
>>33767377
Backgrounds Pony? It isn't really "smart", but if you like it it'll definitely leave you thinking about it.

>inb4 noob prose nigger die
:(
>>
>>33767861
I read it and loved it, so I might be easily pleased. I don't mind purple prose as much as the rest of the people here seem to.
Also, I really appreciated that the ending was not only more depressing than I expected, but was depressing in a way that I didn't expect at all. Lyra beginning to forget herself was totally unexpected but made perfect sense, and it gave the last couple chapters some much-needed tension and sense of urgency. I felt awful for days after finishing it.
Honestly, I think the ending was good enough that it makes up for all the slower bits.
>>
>>33767311
>a jutted ammo canister that protruded down its open ammo taker.
It just kinda pisses me off when people clearly don't know what theyre writing about and cant be bothered to do any research
>>
>>33768001
>I felt awful for days after finishing it
This. I was literally sleepless for some days after finishing it. I've never cried for so long after just finishing it.

>ending was good enough that it makes up for all the slower bits
Fucking this. It didn't have a Dash arc, the Snips arc was pure edge and I'm pretty sure there are more weak points to it, but overall the story stands.
>>
>>33768001
>forget herself
Make it forget her cat and then we're talking
>>
Anyone been reading Georg's new PiE? It's pretty comfy
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/387047/farmer-bruener-has-some-ponies
>>
>>33761557
No you're right, we literally see that it is a bad thing but CiG does that fucking "no it's okay do whatever you want even though you were brainwashed." shit at the end.

Fucking waste of my time.
>>
>>33769143
I'm more of a cake kind of guy.
>>
Oh boy, Archetypist just got a new chapter. Did CiG chicken out and retcon the original ending? I haven't finished the fic yet but it seems like the ending was pretty unpopular.
>>
>>33767384
This gave me some Ligotti vibes, weirdly enough. I'm about to dig through the rest of CiG's work, but before I do does anyone have specific recs if I liked this?
>>
Is MythrilMoth the worst big porn writer on the site? All his stuff comes off as really awkward and not erotic. Knowing he's an actual 40 year old man who mainly writes about the teen EG cast makes it really cringe to read too for me.
>>
>>33771075
>EqG cast
What's the fucking appeal? Good writer or not.
>>
>why doesn't it have a happy ending REEEEE
>>
File: drink.gif (67 KB, 400x360)
67 KB
67 KB GIF
>>33770909
>>33771215
Look, I really liked the story, but that ending is really something.

It's not that it's a bad ending. It's not that they tried but ultimately failed, or had to see everything fall apart after they gave up, because then everyone could agree things just Went Bad.
That would have been fine.

No, instead the story has a sick ending on a deep level.
Everyone just accepts that horrors are the new normal, you're expected to call the nightmare a dream.
As if you'd be the rude person for bringing attention to the burning homes and killing friends.
It's like an anti-friendship letter.
>>
>>33771331
Yeah, I'm shitposting about it but I'm genuinely pretty conflicted about it. On one hand, this was a really well written fic with a super bizarre atmosphere to it and tonally it was the polar opposite of almost everything MLP stands for, and the ending reflects that even if it is a tad anticlimactic. On the other hand, almost everything in that last sentence could easily be argued to be a bad thing, so I just don't know what to make of it. I guess I'm just annoyed by what seems to be overwhelmingly negative reception to what I thought was a fic that, at worst, started strong and lost its way. I like seeing writers play with the general formula for mlp, and this was an interesting take on a "bad end".
>>
File: prophet-twilight.gif (1.67 MB, 960x540)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB GIF
Does anyone know the name of that fic where Twilight accidentally kills Rainbow Dash and is forgiven by her friends but she still feels guilty?
>>
>>33771075
How does he compare to MrNumbers?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.