[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1514394544210.png (363 KB, 1142x1098)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
Do you guys find it odd that the overall consensus from /mlp/ is that the mane 6 are the worst characters on the show? This is what the /mlp/ survey showed a while back.
>>
>>33625503

>Maud
>Top tier
>>
>>33625503
>74 different anons
>consensus
>judging character quality on episode ranking
wew lad
>>
>>33625503
This is complete and utter bullshit.
> Celestia and Luna being liked that much.
> Luna being equal to Celestia
> Discord being liked.
> Scootaloo being liked.
>Spike being liked at all.
> Starlight being liked that much.
> Pinkie being above Rarity or Fluttershy.
> Applejack being below Rarity or Fluttershy.
> Big Mac being above Applebloom.
> Sweetie Belle being above Rarity.
> The Student 6 aren't in the bottom tier
> Trixie and Starlight are equally liked
> Maud being above Pinkie
> Rainbow being equal to Twilight. (eh, maybe)
At least you didn't fuck up and put Sunset or some other Barbie character, this is otherwise a complete trash fire. Do you even read the board?
>>
>>33625519
also props to OP for not putting Nyx, you are at least not completely a tard.
>>
File: reallynow.jpg (69 KB, 764x989)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>33625519
>Starlight being liked that much
Does that surprise you somehow?
She is the main character of the show, after all.
>>
File: the milf 6.jpg (102 KB, 900x680)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>33625503
shouldn't top tier be the Milf 6?
>>
>>33625503
Fuck off, togf.
>>
>>33625570
Whos togf?
>>
File: image.jpg (209 KB, 948x1168)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>33625503
>>
>>33625570
Shut the fuck up,Lee.
>>33625573
don't reply to him
>>
File: 1528570974101.png (65 KB, 770x180)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>33625573
Infamous offboarder shitposter who has been making incredibly retarded bait threads shitting on the mane 6 for years because moronic newfags like >>33625519 keep replying to him seriously.
>>
>>33625745
But isnt his data accurate? He is posting the results from the mlp survey. Thats not really a shit post, is it?
>>
>>33625780
For years we have been raided by retards coming from shiteating communities like Equestria Daily and Derpibooru who desperatly try to fill this place with retarded praises and concentrated shilling.
The idea of those fags coming in masse here to vote on the polls so they could give more favorable results isn't that difficult to piece together.
>>
File: 1412284349570.jpg (31 KB, 343x202)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>33625837
>t-that doesn't count
>>
>>33625837
>replying to bait
You're the reason why he comes here.
>>
What I hate most is that stuff like this makes it hard to tell how much value these surveys actually have on /mlp/. Induvidual lists and discussion are still worth it to me, but I know the big picture I make has to have lost value over time.
>>
>>33625986
Even Equestria Daily's staff admited their polls have little value, since they have lost a lot of traffic and only a very small number of users vote in their polls anyway.
>>
Does this really need to be explained to you faggots? The post season 6 crew only gives a shit about characters they consider their own. The Mane 6 we defined by Faust, Larson, Amy, McCarthy, and Morrow. When Haber, Vogel, and Confalone got into the show, they all adopted their own characters, Glimmer, Maud, Trixie, etc. Their efforts were put into them so of course they were the most well written and entertaining episodes. If they had instead taken up the mantle of the mane 6 we would have gotten a ton of Best Gift Ever quality episodes. Their selfishness destroyed the mane 6 we used to love.
>>
>>33626062
The CMC are still good though, even by this list.
>>
>>33626079
That's kinda case and point. See, the cmc were somewhat disliked despite being in season 1, and then got better as more attention was payed to them. If that can happen to the cmc, then the m6 can have the inverse happen.

If you want to argue that makes them not selfish, go ahead, but the best you can really really say is that their selfishness it isn't a cut-and-dry yes-or-no kinda thing.
>>
>>33625522
He didn't include Nyx because it'd be unfair for all the other characters.
>>
>>33625745
Hey, fuck you mate. He only posts here like once every two years because I've been here since winter 2017 and i ain't seen this thread type before.
>>
>>33625854
do you niggers want to go and off yourselves already? newfags will always exist no matter how you oldfag pieces of shit act and you can get over it and fix your own fucking board that you love so much instead of complaining pointlessly and adding to the shitposts.
>>
>>33626106
>>33626062
>>33626213
you people make good points. bravo on actually contributing to the thread instead of turning it into another newfag-hate / shitposter-hate thread.
jesus christ oldfags get it together
>>
>>33625503
> ponies by average episode ranking
> includes discord
> ponies
>>
>>33625503
Secondary characters have always been more interesting. They’re on screen less so they’re more intriguing.
>>
>74
That seems a bit small of a pool, more people took the autism test with waifus than this.
>>
>>33626559
I'd be willing to bet that autism test didn't take as much time. Problem with this has always been the fact that making a list takes hours with the sorter. Even after various Anons have kindly improved on it for me over the years. Using another system would make it incompatible with the previous survey results, so it feels like it's stuck on this system now.
>>
>>33626559
Its not.
>>
>>33625519
>> Discord being liked.
I would his voice
>>
>>33625503
>the overall consensus from /mlp/ is that the mane 6 are the worst characters on the show?
No you dipshit, the "consensus" (according to your graph, which is probably bullshit) is that they get the worst episodes. That's not the same thing at all.
>>
>>33626628
Hey, can I get a link to the source code for the current sorter? And do you have like a pastebin or something of all the individual ranked lists from the previous poll threads? I have an idea for speeding things up that I want to try.
>>
>>33627509
>consistently get bad episodes
Wonder why
>writers can write the other characters well
No, its totally not the mane 6, they cant be bad!
>>
File: buggin.gif (131 KB, 634x297)
131 KB
131 KB GIF
>>33625503
fucking kill yourself already gypo
>>
>>33627531
I didn't make the sorter, so I don't have the source for it. Sorry.
All the data from the surveys can be found here though. All the lists should be in the raw data tab of each survey workbook.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wq6m4p1b87s6y6i/Episode_ranking_survey_data_Post_S3_to_Pre_S7.rar/file
>>
>>33627531
Actually I may have it now that I was able to look, but it's the post S7 version.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e7zaf0igyfg4zpy/mylittlesorter.rar/file

Website should look like this when loaded:
https://mylittlesorter.000webhostapp.com/
>>
>>33627823
>>33627939
Thanks anon. I'll try coding up my new sorting strategy some time this weekend, and see if it's really faster than the current one.
>>
>>33627952
Great! Thanks for any help you can give.
I haven't done a pre-S9 survey yet, even though it's looking like it'll go into S9 if I start now, so that would be a big help if you cooked something up. If not then I was planning on making a thread sometime this weekend to see if the other sorter Anon was still around /mlp/.
>>
>>33627974
Do you think people will continue to believe season 1 is mediocre?
>>
>>33628506
Recency bias and enough Anons from the past leaving would make that happen.
>>
>>33627952
Just in case. If you do end up making it, this thread is dead, and you don't want to make another one for me to find it then drop it in mlpg and I'll find it there.
>>
>>33628528
Maybe, that or season 1 is just worse.
>>
>>33629303
You arent wrong.
>>
>>33625503
It's not too surprising if Glimmerfag trolls raid the poll thread
>>
>>33631055
It won't take much effort to influence it if participation is low for this one. Again, individual lists and discussion are good enough for me regardless. I'm not sure what to aim for for the number of lists, but activity is about 66% what it was last year.
>>
File: sort.png (16 KB, 183x521)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>33627974
Well, I tried a bunch of shit, but it mostly didn't work out.

My theory was that the sorter should be able to take advantage of past results, so it knows (for example) that most people put Best Night Ever above Mysterious Mare Do Well, and can thus avoid asking certain "dumb questions". But nearly everything I tried turned out worse than plain old mergesort, which is what the sorter currently uses. I did have one algorithm that actually beat mergesort (it's the one called "rangesort"), but only by <5%, so I'm not sure it's worth bothering.

Have you thought about changing the format to allow partially sorted lists? Like, maybe they've done enough work to identify their top 20 episodes (and the order those 20 go in), but not enough to put the remaining 180 in a total order. Dedicated anons of course could still sort all 200+ episodes if they really wanted to, but I think you could still get some value out of lazy anons who sort just enough to find their personal top 10 and then quit. I think I could come up with a good algorithm for this, where it produces the top 10 relatively quickly (with maybe 1/3 the number of comparisons of the current approach) and then extends that to top 20, top 30, etc. as you keep on sorting.

TL;DR: The current sorter is nearly as good as it gets. The only way I can see to get any major improvement is to change the format at least a little bit.
>>
>>33632158
I wouldn't mind as long as everything unsorted is a tied rank in the middle.
>>
>>33626062
>we would have gotten a ton of Best Gift Ever quality episodes
Your whole post doesn't make sense when Vogel, one of the newfags you're complaining about, wrote that episode.
>>
File: 706 reading.png (1.15 MB, 982x1066)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>33625503
I'm an AB fan and have participated in those sorters from when they began to post-S6, and it always seemed to me that her episodes were generally quite low for most other anons. In to-the-point character sorters, too, she was always near the bottom, if not dead last. Through the years, I can't recall any popularity contest results that are kind to her.
>>
>>33632169
Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. If 100-110 are unsorted, assign points as if they were all #105.
>>
>>33625595
Fuck off, TOGF
>>
>>33632396
Her later episodes tend to be rated higher. I am assuming this episode counted any episode she had a major role in, which would boost her score a bit.
>>
>>33633911
For that survey it looked like I settled on these for her:
Call of the Cutie
The Cutie Pox
Family Appreciation Day
Somepony to Watch Over Me
Bloom and Gloom
Brotherhooves Social
On Your Marks
The Perfect Pear

Keep in mind that this graph is very much subjective since I had to pick which ponies/groups I thought were major enough in each episode to count for them.
>>
>>33625837
>fans of the retarded fandom and faustdrones are conspiratards
Well color me surprised!
>>
>>33625503
this research shows that the board has at least some good taste after all
Maud, Luna, Celestia and Big Mac are top
>>
File: ignore pedos.png (246 KB, 500x408)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>33634830

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.