[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1514394544210.png (363 KB, 1142x1098)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
Do you guys find it odd that the overall consensus from /mlp/ is that the mane 6 are the worst characters on the show? This is what the /mlp/ survey showed a while back.
>>
>>33625503

>Maud
>Top tier
>>
>>33625503
This is complete and utter bullshit.
> Celestia and Luna being liked that much.
> Luna being equal to Celestia
> Discord being liked.
> Scootaloo being liked.
>Spike being liked at all.
> Starlight being liked that much.
> Pinkie being above Rarity or Fluttershy.
> Applejack being below Rarity or Fluttershy.
> Big Mac being above Applebloom.
> Sweetie Belle being above Rarity.
> The Student 6 aren't in the bottom tier
> Trixie and Starlight are equally liked
> Maud being above Pinkie
> Rainbow being equal to Twilight. (eh, maybe)
At least you didn't fuck up and put Sunset or some other Barbie character, this is otherwise a complete trash fire. Do you even read the board?
>>
>>33625519
also props to OP for not putting Nyx, you are at least not completely a tard.
>>
File: reallynow.jpg (69 KB, 764x989)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>33625519
>Starlight being liked that much
Does that surprise you somehow?
She is the main character of the show, after all.
>>
File: the milf 6.jpg (102 KB, 900x680)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>33625503
shouldn't top tier be the Milf 6?
>>
>>33625503
Fuck off, togf.
>>
>>33625570
Whos togf?
>>
File: image.jpg (209 KB, 948x1168)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>33625503
>>
>>33625570
Shut the fuck up,Lee.
>>33625573
don't reply to him
>>
File: 1528570974101.png (65 KB, 770x180)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>33625573
Infamous offboarder shitposter who has been making incredibly retarded bait threads shitting on the mane 6 for years because moronic newfags like >>33625519 keep replying to him seriously.
>>
>>33625745
But isnt his data accurate? He is posting the results from the mlp survey. Thats not really a shit post, is it?
>>
>>33625780
For years we have been raided by retards coming from shiteating communities like Equestria Daily and Derpibooru who desperatly try to fill this place with retarded praises and concentrated shilling.
The idea of those fags coming in masse here to vote on the polls so they could give more favorable results isn't that difficult to piece together.
>>
File: 1412284349570.jpg (31 KB, 343x202)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>33625837
>t-that doesn't count
>>
>>33625837
>replying to bait
You're the reason why he comes here.
>>
What I hate most is that stuff like this makes it hard to tell how much value these surveys actually have on /mlp/. Induvidual lists and discussion are still worth it to me, but I know the big picture I make has to have lost value over time.
>>
>>33625986
Even Equestria Daily's staff admited their polls have little value, since they have lost a lot of traffic and only a very small number of users vote in their polls anyway.
>>
Does this really need to be explained to you faggots? The post season 6 crew only gives a shit about characters they consider their own. The Mane 6 we defined by Faust, Larson, Amy, McCarthy, and Morrow. When Haber, Vogel, and Confalone got into the show, they all adopted their own characters, Glimmer, Maud, Trixie, etc. Their efforts were put into them so of course they were the most well written and entertaining episodes. If they had instead taken up the mantle of the mane 6 we would have gotten a ton of Best Gift Ever quality episodes. Their selfishness destroyed the mane 6 we used to love.
>>
>>33626062
The CMC are still good though, even by this list.
>>
>>33626079
That's kinda case and point. See, the cmc were somewhat disliked despite being in season 1, and then got better as more attention was payed to them. If that can happen to the cmc, then the m6 can have the inverse happen.

If you want to argue that makes them not selfish, go ahead, but the best you can really really say is that their selfishness it isn't a cut-and-dry yes-or-no kinda thing.
>>
>>33625522
He didn't include Nyx because it'd be unfair for all the other characters.
>>
>>33625745
Hey, fuck you mate. He only posts here like once every two years because I've been here since winter 2017 and i ain't seen this thread type before.
>>
>>33625854
do you niggers want to go and off yourselves already? newfags will always exist no matter how you oldfag pieces of shit act and you can get over it and fix your own fucking board that you love so much instead of complaining pointlessly and adding to the shitposts.
>>
>>33626106
>>33626062
>>33626213
you people make good points. bravo on actually contributing to the thread instead of turning it into another newfag-hate / shitposter-hate thread.
jesus christ oldfags get it together
>>
>>33625503
> ponies by average episode ranking
> includes discord
> ponies
>>
>>33625503
Secondary characters have always been more interesting. They’re on screen less so they’re more intriguing.
>>
>74
That seems a bit small of a pool, more people took the autism test with waifus than this.
>>
>>33626559
I'd be willing to bet that autism test didn't take as much time. Problem with this has always been the fact that making a list takes hours with the sorter. Even after various Anons have kindly improved on it for me over the years. Using another system would make it incompatible with the previous survey results, so it feels like it's stuck on this system now.
>>
>>33626559
Its not.
>>
>>33625519
>> Discord being liked.
I would his voice
>>
>>33625503
>the overall consensus from /mlp/ is that the mane 6 are the worst characters on the show?
No you dipshit, the "consensus" (according to your graph, which is probably bullshit) is that they get the worst episodes. That's not the same thing at all.
>>
>>33626628
Hey, can I get a link to the source code for the current sorter? And do you have like a pastebin or something of all the individual ranked lists from the previous poll threads? I have an idea for speeding things up that I want to try.
>>
>>33627509
>consistently get bad episodes
Wonder why
>writers can write the other characters well
No, its totally not the mane 6, they cant be bad!
>>
File: buggin.gif (131 KB, 634x297)
131 KB
131 KB GIF
>>33625503
fucking kill yourself already gypo
>>
>>33627531
I didn't make the sorter, so I don't have the source for it. Sorry.
All the data from the surveys can be found here though. All the lists should be in the raw data tab of each survey workbook.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wq6m4p1b87s6y6i/Episode_ranking_survey_data_Post_S3_to_Pre_S7.rar/file
>>
>>33627531
Actually I may have it now that I was able to look, but it's the post S7 version.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e7zaf0igyfg4zpy/mylittlesorter.rar/file

Website should look like this when loaded:
https://mylittlesorter.000webhostapp.com/
>>
>>33627823
>>33627939
Thanks anon. I'll try coding up my new sorting strategy some time this weekend, and see if it's really faster than the current one.
>>
>>33627952
Great! Thanks for any help you can give.
I haven't done a pre-S9 survey yet, even though it's looking like it'll go into S9 if I start now, so that would be a big help if you cooked something up. If not then I was planning on making a thread sometime this weekend to see if the other sorter Anon was still around /mlp/.
>>
>>33627974
Do you think people will continue to believe season 1 is mediocre?
>>
>>33628506
Recency bias and enough Anons from the past leaving would make that happen.
>>
>>33627952
Just in case. If you do end up making it, this thread is dead, and you don't want to make another one for me to find it then drop it in mlpg and I'll find it there.
>>
>>33628528
Maybe, that or season 1 is just worse.
>>
>>33629303
You arent wrong.
>>
>>33625503
It's not too surprising if Glimmerfag trolls raid the poll thread
>>
>>33631055
It won't take much effort to influence it if participation is low for this one. Again, individual lists and discussion are good enough for me regardless. I'm not sure what to aim for for the number of lists, but activity is about 66% what it was last year.
>>
File: sort.png (16 KB, 183x521)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>33627974
Well, I tried a bunch of shit, but it mostly didn't work out.

My theory was that the sorter should be able to take advantage of past results, so it knows (for example) that most people put Best Night Ever above Mysterious Mare Do Well, and can thus avoid asking certain "dumb questions". But nearly everything I tried turned out worse than plain old mergesort, which is what the sorter currently uses. I did have one algorithm that actually beat mergesort (it's the one called "rangesort"), but only by <5%, so I'm not sure it's worth bothering.

Have you thought about changing the format to allow partially sorted lists? Like, maybe they've done enough work to identify their top 20 episodes (and the order those 20 go in), but not enough to put the remaining 180 in a total order. Dedicated anons of course could still sort all 200+ episodes if they really wanted to, but I think you could still get some value out of lazy anons who sort just enough to find their personal top 10 and then quit. I think I could come up with a good algorithm for this, where it produces the top 10 relatively quickly (with maybe 1/3 the number of comparisons of the current approach) and then extends that to top 20, top 30, etc. as you keep on sorting.

TL;DR: The current sorter is nearly as good as it gets. The only way I can see to get any major improvement is to change the format at least a little bit.
>>
>>33632158
I wouldn't mind as long as everything unsorted is a tied rank in the middle.
>>
>>33626062
>we would have gotten a ton of Best Gift Ever quality episodes
Your whole post doesn't make sense when Vogel, one of the newfags you're complaining about, wrote that episode.
>>
File: 706 reading.png (1.15 MB, 982x1066)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>33625503
I'm an AB fan and have participated in those sorters from when they began to post-S6, and it always seemed to me that her episodes were generally quite low for most other anons. In to-the-point character sorters, too, she was always near the bottom, if not dead last. Through the years, I can't recall any popularity contest results that are kind to her.
>>
>>33632169
Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. If 100-110 are unsorted, assign points as if they were all #105.
>>
>>33625595
Fuck off, TOGF
>>
>>33632396
Her later episodes tend to be rated higher. I am assuming this episode counted any episode she had a major role in, which would boost her score a bit.
>>
>>33633911
For that survey it looked like I settled on these for her:
Call of the Cutie
The Cutie Pox
Family Appreciation Day
Somepony to Watch Over Me
Bloom and Gloom
Brotherhooves Social
On Your Marks
The Perfect Pear

Keep in mind that this graph is very much subjective since I had to pick which ponies/groups I thought were major enough in each episode to count for them.
>>
>>33625837
>fans of the retarded fandom and faustdrones are conspiratards
Well color me surprised!
>>
>>33625503
this research shows that the board has at least some good taste after all
Maud, Luna, Celestia and Big Mac are top
>>
File: ignore pedos.png (246 KB, 500x408)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>33634830
>>
>>33634094
Bridle Gossip also features Apple Bloom as an important character, I'd say.
>>
File: file.png (108 KB, 1525x1048)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>33637264
Main 6 are the ones learning the lesson and are the focus of the problem though, so that's why I picked that for them. AB was just a vehicle to help deliver it in that episode.

This is the full list for that survey if anyone else that's curious.
The ones with a question mark were ones that I was shaky on even at the end. That one in parenthesis I ended up not including, but was still back and forth on.
>>
File: Rating categories.png (193 KB, 2204x1302)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>33637285
I understand your point. Thanks, I was curious for the entire list. Here is my personal autismlist, for comparison. My view of what constitutes and X episode is a little bit broader, which is no big deal, but I do think you have been inconsistent with a few side characters (particularly Luna, Discord, Big Mac and Starlight Glimmer). Feel free to take inspiration.
>>
File: Rating categories.png (220 KB, 2204x1599)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>33637357
Glorious MSPaint decides to cut off more than I would like. Reposting.
>>
>>33637362
I'll take a closer look at that list when I get the chance. Especially the S8 one since I have to get on making one if I hope to do a similar comparison for post S8. Thanks for that. I'm actually in the middle of rewatching it now to have it as correct as possible since I have the week off.
For future reference, you should just be able to copy paste directly into the 4chan quick reply if you have 4chanx. Makes it a bit quicker than going through MS Paint.
>>
>>33637369
You should change especially bad episodes to be that of the characters who ruined them. An episode like Carts Before the Pony should be an AJ/Dash/Rarity episode rather than a CMC one. Cutie mark Chronicles shouldnt be a CMC one for the opposite reason.
>>
People act like it's strange and they don't understand why the show got better around season six, when obviously a new main character was added that changed up the pace
>>
>>33625519
> Discord being liked.
he's the best character and is the only reason I still watch the show
>>
>>33638241
You arent wrong.
>>
File: file.png (183 KB, 1710x1574)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>33637362
So I got some time to look and it seems like we agree with most of the episodes, but there's still a good amount that we have different opinions on. What was your criteria for picking who's important in each episode?
If I recall correctly, mine was that they had to be a focus of the lesson/problem and driving the plot forward. Subjective as this is though I can see changing some on my end if I hear good reasons to do so. Especially on S8 since this is a first pass.
>>
>>33640224
Made a few mistakes counting there. It's actually 101 we agree on and 81 we don't. Questions still apply though. Also GI is Gilda in there since I forgot it in the legend.
>>
>>33625503
You got that from Reddit, didn't ou?
It's widely considered the Mane 6 are being mindcontrolled by Starlight Glimmer.
Also, Applejack seems to be one of the most popular ponies judging by the leaked sales records listing her after Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash.
You need more than 1 thousand for a real poll.
>>
>>33640224
>>33640299
I'm noticing your post, I can go into depth later when I have time but you don't have to tire yourself out over the details. As a general rule, I just called something an X episode if X featured prominently, not necessarily that X was part of the lesson or propelled the plot. This is really a subjective matter, and I think your rule may be better in many cases. Again, we can straighten it out in a few days.

One thing I can say is that I used some extra categories you don't have: Trixie, Flim & Flam, Hearth's Warming, Maud, Daring Do, etc. I keep track of them because these characters really have specially themed episodes (for Trixie I'd argue she's even a main character as of Season 6). So if you like you can omit such side categories and see how well we match up then; or you may even adopt said categories.
>>
>>33640645
I wasn't asking you to go in depth if you don't want to. Just curious what your criteria were.
>>
>>33640493
Nope, its from the /mlp/ survey. This is legit what /mlp/ users think of the characters.
>>
bump
>>
Mane 6 are bad, who knew.
>>
>>33632158
Make any progress Anon?
>>
>>33641442
It's what /mlp/ thinks of episodes, not of characters. Even if you wanted to argue that a character's value is exactly proportional to their effect on the enjoyability of the episode and you want to argue that other character's aren't simultaneously skewing the results because averages or something, that still wouldn't tell us what /mlp/ thinks of the characters because /mlp/ can be wrong, so our thoughts might not line up with the "proven results" produced here..
>>
>>33645722
Plus it's based on a subjective selection of who's episode is who's, and may be helped or hindered by other characters in an episode. There's no way I'd say it's what /mlp/ thinks of the characters as much as how well an episode may be if they're the central character.
>>
>>33644450
You mean for the partial-ranking version of the algorithm? No, but I'll work on it a bit this weekend again.
>>
>>33640741
Okay I'll go through the episodes of S1 and S2 for now. I'll skip the ones that are different due to more precise categorization (e.g. Griffon The Brush Off). Don't take these as defenses, I'm only trying to explain my reasonings. If you think I have been inconsistent in some cases, you may be right.
>The Ticket Master
Features every character of the Mane 6 independently; they have their own stake in the plot
>Look Before You Sleep
Since Twilight is directing the sleepover. Granted, she's neutral in the conflict and the episode clearly puts her behind Applejack and Rarity
>Bridle Gossip
Apple Bloom acts as a central character who is not only the object of conflict, but also the one who delivers the lesson of the day
>A Dog And Pony Show
While Spike is prominent at the very beginning, he doesn't take much of a special role after he calls in the rest of the Mane 6
>A Bird In The Hoof
In my memory Fluttershy was the focus for most of the episode, but it turns out Twilight gets onto the scene at around the 12 minute mark; so fair enough
>Owl's Well That Ends Well
Twilight felt like a parental voice of reason and "above the conflict", and all focus was on Spike
>Return Of Harmony
I guess you could say Twilight took the central role yet again, when all of her friends were hexed
>Luna Eclipsed
Twilight was just kind of steering the plot, while the true focus was on Luna
>May The Best Pet Win
Fluttershy served as the basis for the episode (including the song); but it's true that she became less relevant later on
>The Last Roundup
I personally thought none of the Mane 6 really stood out, but you're right that they definitely do work as a unit here
>Hearts and Hooves Day
Because Big Mac is more relevant than any time before, even if he was just being puppeteered by the CMC; it felt wrong to exclude him but I see your point though
>A Canterlot Wedding
Compared to RoH, it's definitely true that the Mane 6 have a less relevant role.
>>
>>33647196
I may have to consider a few of those points that I like more. You have some good arguments there. Keep em coming when you get the chance.
>>
>>33647743
I'll definitely agree that your classifications are better at least for A Bird In The Hoof, Return Of Harmony and The Last Roundup Moving on:
>The Crystal Empire
The Mane 6 definitely contributed to the plot by guarding the Crystal Heart, organizing the jousting competition, etc.
>Spike At Your Service
Applejack had the heroic opening role and was basically the cause of Spike's behaviour throughout the episode, even though she didn't do that much later on
>Princess Twilight Sparkle
As with ACW, it feels weird to have a two-parter with all of the Mane 6 but only crediting Twilight
>Power Ponies
It's hard to dismiss the fact the Mane 6 with their interesting superhero personas, they even steal his spotlight for most of the episode
>Bats!
Applejack and Fluttershy clearly represent the two different camps here, and I'd argue they have a special role besides that (it's AJ's farm, and Fluttershy had the Flutterbat scene)
>Three's A Crowd
I thought it was important to credit Cadance, she isn't in a lot of episodes
>Twilight Time
Mostly because her name is in the title; the combination Twilight + CMC is a remarkable one
>Maud Pie
I highlighted Maud's relation to Pinkie but it's true that all of the Mane 6 were involved so I'll change that
>Testing, Testing, 123
The episode both starts off with Twilight helping Rainbow Dash, and she ends up guiding her to the resolution
>What About Discord
I see this one as Discord & Mane 6 vs Twilight
To be continued
>>
This is why AJ is being written off the show.
>>
>>33641442
It's assumptions based on an episode ranking survey done on /mlp/. After the fact I tried to pick central characters for each episode then did an average for each creature with the episode ranking points.
I can't say for sure that it's what the Anons that participated think of the characters.
>>
>>33648611
>Do Princesses Dream Of Magic Sheep?
I think you may be right with this one, the Mane 6 had their own dream scenes and acted collectively as support
>What about Discord
For some reason I covered this one in my last post
>The Crystalling
Again a two-parter featuring the Mane 6 so I mentioned them. Also with Flurry, SA/CA are relevant
>On Your Marks
This really is a CMC episode, even if the focus was on Apple Bloom and her anxieties
>Flutter Brutter
Rainbow Dash was there with Fluttershy nearly all the time, and she and Zephyr Breeze had some notable dynamic too
>The Cart Before The Ponies
I would classify this as "CMC + CMC sisters" but that created yet another subcategory; still, I think that would be the best way to put it
>Dungeons & Discords
Since all these three are the protagonists
>Buckball Season
I was hesitant to credit four ponies at once, but I actually agree that the episode is also about Rainbow Dash and Applejack
>Where The Apple Lies
Both Big Mac and Applejack are the protagonists here
>Top Bolt
I haven't seen this one in a while, I'll have to check if Twilight has such an important role
>To Where And Back Again
I think I was confused here with The Cutie Re-Mark. I'd say this episode is about Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, Discord and Thorax
>>
>>33651892
>All of season 7
Is just me being overly specific
>School Daze
The Mane 6 do have a significant role in there, but whenever I think of School Daze I think of the Pukwudgie scene. Maybe it's better to credit them after all.
>Friendship University
Rarity deserves mention. Also "Pillars" is a bit unfitting if it only features Starswirl, in a marginal support role
>A Rockhoof And A Hard Place
Again, "Pillars" is overkill, I'm just being reluctant to introduce a tag for 1 episode, but it's necessary I guess
>>
>>33651892
>>33653162
Thanks for all the insight.
>>
>>33644450
>>33645924
Hey, I've been sick all weekend and didn't do shit. Sorry senpai. If you're still interested, I can give it a shot next weekend (should be better by then)
>>
>>33625503
Why odd? They are basically shit Hannah Montana rejects that don't really fit their world, on top of being murican stereotypes further killing their appeal to anyone else. Why the hell magicless redneck is protagonist in rich fantasy world? That's like two different 'trash' reasons right there in one pack...
>>
>>33654386
My pleasure. Anything else to discuss?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.