[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Gundam Ground Type.jpg (210 KB, 890x501)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
How well would Gundam work into a tabletop rpg like D&D or Pathfinder? Are there any existing games that'd work with it? Mostly centered around mobile suit combat of course, UC specifically.
>>
File: 25403.jpg (168 KB, 900x1165)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Well there's pic related. Rules seemed cool, never actually got to play it though.
>>
>>17691575
No joke I am working on making a Mecha RPG to be used with the Powered by the Apocalypse system.

I've had three playtests so far. Its going well but slow work.
>>
>>17691672
link me some details, I'm genuinely interested
>>
File: Jcpromo_0.jpg (157 KB, 960x540)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>17691575
You could try Jovian Chronicles for a Gumdam like RPG. Then just skin real Gundam over it.
>>
>>17691651
veteran player, here. Mekton Zeta Plus and the Mekton Technical Suppliment are literal "build anything" kits. Literally anything from a human-sized cybernetic hand up to the Death Star. Combat is pretty simple, using Stat+Skill+1d10 for attack and defense, damage values are kept in fairly low numbers by the hits/kills system (one Kill [mecha hit point] = ten Hits [human hit point]) to minimize scratch paper use during battles. My favorite bit is the (optional) Parts Unknown table where you can roll 3d10 to generate a three-part name for a random component the players have to quest for in order to complete repairs.
On the player end, it uses the same game engine as Cyberpunk 2020 so it's easy to get players' imaginations going on characterization with random-rolled life events in the character's past. Also good for the DM to build plot points off of.
>>
>>17691712
almost forgot, there's also an official OYW Gundam sourcebook for Mekton, but it's in moonrunes. Easy to transcribe the stat sheets for the Gundam, Zaku, etc though.
>>
Allegedly D&D 4e is good for converting into a mecha game, but you'd have a way better time using any of the other systems in the thread
>>
>>17691575
I played a D&D game with my GM 3 years ago, the classes were GM, guncanon, and guntank never again.
>>
File: American Dream.jpg (16 KB, 576x432)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>17691719
>>17691712
>>17691575

Translation for Gundam Senki here. Uses Mekton Zeta as a base, and has stats for like, 90% of the MS that were in the OYW. Been linking this whenever people ask, cause apparently no one else has bothered to pull the translations from the forum they were posted on.

Link's got both the compiled book, as well as raw stat blocks and errata.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5t7EShjibTTbzlUWVRIRlhnS0U
>>
>>17692031
Thank you so much anon!
>>
>>17691575
I know there's one that behaves like WH40K tabletop, not sure if that's what you're looking for, I also forgot the name of it but I know it had Lt. Fran as a character
>>
>>17692586
there's bunch of old cardboard chit games from Japan, too
>>
>>17691575
>Are there any existing games that'd work with it?
GURPS Vehicles
>>
Mekton Zeta is fucking garbage, I tried writing a Gundam setting for Genesys. Pretty much just statting out all the suits and cannon fodder/support vehicles I could, but I never got around to writing stuff for Newtypes in the system.

You could probably do something like an AU Gundam with Battle Century G.
>>
File: mekton_zeta.jpg (234 KB, 600x775)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>17691712

Mekton Zeta is indeed an excellent choice.

>>17694440

As someone who actually worked on the game, I'm curious to know why you say it's garbage?

Believe me, I know it has its faults, but I'd love to hear your honest thoughts about them.
>>
>>17694812
Isn't Zeta extremely old now? Like decades plus old.
>>
>>17694812
>gm command space type
>hizack
based designs
>>
>>17694812
Based on the easily broken Interlock system, where if you don't pump everything you can into Int+Ref you may as well just sit there and get plastered since your character's going to have less points to share out among the game's fucking elephantine skill list and is going to be just straight up worse in any combat situation.
Ref is a godstat and it shouldn't be.

The mech creation system is far too autistic for my tastes, I don't want to spend a fucking week working out minutiae like how much fuel I need to cram into my mecha to make it fly. The Movie went some way to fix that but it didn't fix stuff like the mess indirect fire is.

Warbirds/Remnants does a far better job by divorcing vehicular/mecha combat from non-combat in a similar way to how Battle Century G does, and by having all character concepts equally capable of kicking ass behind the stick.
>>
File: Sentinel_full.jpg (662 KB, 1804x958)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
>>17694832
>Isn't Zeta extremely old now? Like decades plus old.

You speak the truth!

>>17694844
>gm command space type
>hizack
>based designs

The references are deliberate, of course. Pic related is art for the "GM Command" proxy.
>>
File: mekton.jpg (239 KB, 610x327)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>17694847
To say that Interlock is broken is an exaggeration. It suffers from flaws, yes -- most notably, the one you pointed out: having one "god stat" (REF) for almost all combat rolls. The later iteration of the system, Fuzion, splits REF apart with DEX, which helps (but Fuzion has lots of its own problems).

Still, even with REF being the one combat stat, what happens? In a game where everyone is a mecha pilot, all the characters have 10 in REF. Which isn’t insane, they’re all mecha pilots, who should&would have top-notch reflexes. The characters will all still vary in capability because REF is only half the picture — skills are the other half, and they’re varied enough that you can have everyone be especially good at their own thing.

Is the “god stat” situation ideal? Heck no, not at all. Does it mean the system is broken? Heck no, not at all. The core mechanics of Interlock work very well. The system is fast enough, fair enough, and fun enough to not deserve the description of "broken."

Speaking of skills, I’d hardly call the list "elephantine" -- it's longer than I like, yeah, but nothing compared to contemporaries like GURPs or Rolemaster or freakin' Rifts. Also, your complaint about INT (and REF?!?) being too important in terms of Skill points is just inaccurate -- in all my years with the game, I've never seen that be an issue.

As far as mecha construction goes, you said yourself that it’s too crunchy for YOUR tastes. That doesn’t make it broken, just something you don’t like. And I agree — I too find it too crunchy, nowadays. After a while I skipped worrying about Construction Points and Spaces, and that helped a lot. (Quick note: you don’t have to use the fuel rules, they’re optional.)

Anyway, your recommendation of Warbirds/Remnants is good, given your tastes as I assess them. I just think you’d do well to draw a distinction between “I don’t like how the game works” and “the game does not work.”
>>
File: Sentinel_OMS-120.jpg (2.03 MB, 3470x3600)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>17695078
>"GM Command" proxy

Some more of the Sentinel, for clarity's sake
>>
I'd love to play a Mekton Zeta game but:
1. My friends only know D&D 5E
2. Can't play in person due to lack of maps, tokens and time
3. No idea if the system would work in Roll20
4. Would have to stat every vehicle and MS in the OYW all by myself, only to end up using a handful of them.
>>
>>17692031
How come some of the pages don't fucking have any stat blocks boss?

However, Thank you. That's dope as fuck.
>>
>>17694812
got any pic if that cool Zaku like thing.
>>
>>17695183

I do... Somewhere. Unlike the Sentinel, that one was only sketched, by my then-roommate. I know I have a copy of it around somewhere. Next time I see it I'll scan or photo it.

>>17695158
I feel your pain, my bro. It's pretty tough to find folks who are willing to play anything but D&D, Pathfinder, Star Wars, or WH40K. But I'm pretty sure it would work fine on Roll20, at least...
>>
Cortex plus had a hack for drama with gundams. It was heavily focused on UNDERSTANDING to the point you could defeat an enemy mech by talking at the pilot.

My biggest issue with it, is that like most mecha tabletop games, they didn't bother making more than one or two sample mechs. So, you'd have to make everything for a game.
>>
>>17695123
Splitting ref into 2 parts( offensive and defensive) pretty much fixed the issue for me. It’s a bit of a holdover from C2020, which makes more sense since that game isn’t oriented around constant combat. At the same time, trying to make some stat like emp or bod equally valuable to piloting as ref just seems silly.
>>
Apparently my friend is in a game using Star Wars: Edge of the Empire rules as written, with the only custom stuff being the mobile suits themselves. From the sound of it their having a blast
>>
>>17692586
That looks like it's from Mobile Suit Skirmish iirc, looked really fun but I don't live close enough to my friends that would play anymore and I don't exactly want to bring a bunch of gunpla with me on a roadtrip and risk damaging it. Maybe i'll snap up some old 1/144s and make some cheap teams to play with
>>
>>17695158
If you can get a Mekton Zeta PDF it's already in Roll20 and my friends and I are doing a OYW campaign now (Technically 2 as we have a set of Zeon player and a Set of feddie players) its pretty intuitive all things considered
>>
>>17694812
>Maximum Mike lurks /m/

Somehow I’m not even remotely surprised.
>>
search for buildfightsystem on reddit. You get your custom gunpla rated, make a sheet for it, and battle others in the discord through roll20. its pretty active.
>>
>nothing compared to contemporaries like GURPs or Rolemaster or freakin' Rifts
Comparing to the absolute worst isn't really useful
>>
>>17695730
I tried that out a little more than a year ago, everybody on that server is either autistic or genuinely has never played a tabletop before. Game is more than unbalanced and the guys who write the handbook don’t even bother fixing shit/making the handbook coherent. Also
>reddit lol
>>
>>17695123
I said it was garbage, not that it didn't work. And if REF has to be at 10, why the fuck don't you give it to the players for nothing?
You want broken? Look at the encumbrance rules. Or how combat works if you have REF 10 peak humans for PCs against any quick stat block NPC in the book.
I will grant you that MZ's skill list isn't as much of a gigantic disaster as Cyberpunk 2020's though. Talk about trying to be all things to all men.

The reason I wrote a Gundam hack for Genesys (which is 99% the same as
>>17695475) is because it's fast, cinematic and defaulting to having zero skill ranks in something a la Amuro isn't a major problem thanks to story points and talents (I was toying with borrowing or creating Newtype-only ones before I got lazy).

>>17695465
>Trying to make some stat like EMP or BOD as equally valuable to piloting as REF seems silly
That's exactly how Warbirds does it though. All three stats, Body, Mind and Spirit are totalled into one for the stat you actually use in aerial combat. Maybe you're tougher than the others and can handle higher Gs. Maybe you can easily predict an enemy's flight path or quickly work out exactly what path to take through the AA fire. Or maybe you just have the balls to pull moves nobody else would consider.
>>
File: 20170104_012248.jpg (3.17 MB, 4128x2322)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
gundam senki exists
its an official gundam tabletop based on mekton zeta
complete scans have been posted on /m/ several times before and translations were promised but never delivered
>>
i would be interested if someone could port gihrens greed into table top format
>>
>>17696004
Keep up mate, >>17692031 posted a translation of a lot of it. Definitely enough to play it with.
>>
>>17696054
i meant to say official translations
also there is still alot untranslated in that book. i have a copy
>>
>>17695178
The guy putting the book version together never finished it. Check the other folder in there for the rest of the stats.

I'd try and finish it, but I'm complete shit at graphic design, so just gonna keep circulating the books.
>>
>>17695158
If you can convince 'em, just use the stats from >>17692031

There's stuff for pretty muc heverything you could ever need, minus some really obscure MSV stuff.
>>
I'm doing >>17691672, except instead of doing the smart thing and working with a solid foundation I'm just building a Frankenstein mess of a system. Going to make the character sheet later today, and I'll probably finish most of the basic rules by the end of the week.

Then I'll coerce some friends to playtest and hopefully it won't be too horrible as to hinder our fun.
>>
Using The Greasemonkey Handbook for D&D 5E for a cyberpunk/mecha campaign. First time GM'ing though and I honestly feel like I'm lacking hard. I've been randomly picking designs from random series and giving them stats and setting appropriate names. The lack of tabletop maps with a cyberpunk/futuristic motif doesn't help much which is why I'm having my players fool around in backwater planets instead of megacities.
>>
File: GC Layout 1.0 17.jpg (121 KB, 556x720)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>17695696

Nope, sorry. I'm not Mike. I've shown up in /m/ TRPG threads before, some people here might know who I am.

>>17695898
>All three stats, Body, Mind and Spirit are totalled into one for the stat you actually use in aerial combat. Maybe you're tougher than the others and can handle higher Gs. Maybe you can easily predict an enemy's flight path or quickly work out exactly what path to take through the AA fire. Or maybe you just have the balls to pull moves nobody else would consider.

Hm! That's an interesting approach, one I hadn't heard before. I'm glad you mentioned it -- gives me some things to consider. I'm always on the lookout for cool game system ideas.

Although... if all PCs are built using the same number of points to distribute as they see fit... that means all PCs would have the same combat stat. Like Mekton. Again, if skills are also a factor that's not as much of a concern.

>>17696765
>The guy putting the book version together never finished it

More accurately, R. Talsorian never got around to completing the project.
>>
>>17697829

Doesn't surprise me that they never finished it. I love R. Talsorian, but they move at the speed of a geriatric glacier on anything that's not Cyberpunk.

I know they did a Mekton panel at Gencon or whatever recently, and it seemed promising, but I'm not gonna count my Haros before they hatch.
>>
>>17697895

Yeah I think Mekton Zero is dead forever. They gave the Kickstarter funders their money back (after not delivering for several years).
>>
>>17697986
Mike said they were going to keep going with it, and aim for a Fall 2020 release... Not that anyone should expect them to stick to it.
>>
>>17697986
>Yeah I think Mekton Zero is dead forever. They gave the Kickstarter funders their money back (after not delivering for several years).

At least they did that, I'm not super versed in KS but arent they technically not obligated to deliver? (I mean legally)
>>
>>17698073

Legal action was threatened, based on a recent case in the same state (Washington).
>>
>>17697829
Yes, skills are a factor, but again they are separate from out of combat skills. The standard Situational Awareness stat (the totalled three regular stats) for most starting Warbirds characters is one, while the skills used typically don't go higher than two at chargen, so you're expected to have some progression.
I built a Swedish ex-rescue pilot NPC for an upcoming campaign (that's pretty much a love letter to Ace Combat and Area 88) with bugger all beyond the minimum of one when it comes to firing at things, but when it comes to control she's one of the best. It balances out if she's willing to risk an enemy escaping her sights: in air-to-air there's an opposed check to get in a firing position, if you're confident you can do it over and over again you can hold fire for a turn to get a bonus.

Anyway, back to mecha. Did you give Battle Century G a look? That's hands down what I would use instead of Mekton Zeta: it uses the same 1d10 task resolution but with 5e's advantage/disadvantage system and with damage dealt by how much your check beats the target defense by.
That one's interesting in that there are _no_ skills that factor into mecha combat, only special moves: the only stats that matter are the mecha's up until you spend a point to activate something. Since all mecha are custom builds and improve at the same rate their pilots do, it allows for a fair amount of individuality.
>>
>>17698259

I have indeed checked out Battle Century G. It has a lot of good ideas, is very clearly inspired by video games. I found it too dependent on special moves for my taste, and it also seemed to focus a bit too much on mecha of a certain scale, IIRC. However, it's not bad on any level -- just not quite I'm looking for. Lotsa great ideas, though, like I said.

I'm gonna check out Warbirds, it sounds clever.
>>
Tfw no tabletop system for non UC timelines because wack tech balancing
>>
>>17700028

Nah, it's doable.
>>
>>17698259
>5e Advantage and Disadvantage
That's gonna be a big yikes from me.
>>
>>17695629
Someone should post one here sometime.
>>
>>17700749
Cry harder, it ties into how task resolution works pretty well by having it go beyond just two dice. If you like you can trade each advantage die in for a bonus to the roll, which is a good idea for having advantage of 3x or higher.
>>
>>17700028
Nothing's stopping you from using Exalted to do a G Gundam campaign.
>>
File: Screen Shot .png (1.14 MB, 1071x624)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
Does anyone know where I can find the rules for this game?
>>
>>17701594
Try googling it
>>
>>17701594
http://mobilesuitskirmish.proboards.com/board/27/mssk-rules-units

It mentions 1/400 gundam figures, more googling says gundam toys in this size are gachapon and blindbag toys. Does anyone know a product line name or something I could use to find them more easily?
>>
>>17701623
>1/400 gundam figures
iirc it's something frustratingly search engine unoptimized like "Gundam Collection" with various bits like "Neo" "EX" and whatever
I got a mess of them cheap at a brick and mortar store that was running a sale, nice little figs
>>
>>17701623
thank you, thank you.
>>
>>17701623
For the 1/400 line, it's usually Gundam Collection Vol. (Number), but there are alot of variants. Hiro-Japan-Brand carries a ton of them, I usually just look through the shop to find the names of sublines I wasn't already aware of in the scale.
>>
>>17700028
Don't see why, the only two series that doesn't just require a mindless tech increase is G and 00 and I'm sure you can create rules for GN shenanigans
>>
>>17691575

Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist.

Alternatively, Hybrid.
>>
>>17701579
Except the fact Exalted's core systems are terrible.
>>
>>17691575
D&D seems like a terrible system for roleplaying UC or anything else, I'd rather just use Star Wars D6.

There is also a bunch of fan-made plug-in rules for 40k and LotR for wargaming the One Year War, I haven't tried it but it looks pretty neat.
>>
>>17702745
>d6
You could probably cludge something together out of that one d6 Heavy Gear conversion floating around, someone adapted Jovian Chronicles with it as a base and that may as well be Gundam with the serial numbers filed off.
>>
If we were to use D6 I would stick a generation stat in it, similar to the scale stat used by minisix. Basically the highest gen suit gets bonus dice on all rolls over the older gen suit equal to the difference.
>>
>>17701579
>>17702077

I'm quite interested in Exalted 3e's idea of Initiative as a resource that's kinda tied in to damage & hit points. Reading about it now, sounds like it has potential.
>>
>>17701908
>00
>doesn't just require a mindless tech increase

Wow, talk about wrong
>>
File: English Motherfucker.gif (762 KB, 500x281)
762 KB
762 KB GIF
>>17701935
>Wisher, Theurgist, Fatalist.
>Alternatively, Hybrid.

how does this word salad answer OP's question
>>
>>17701594
>>17701623
If you're gonna play this, stick to OYW suits. My local hobby store had a large group of about 40+ people playing this game and off, helped sell overpriced Gunpla like hotcakes. Discounting me and my friends, these players either had no idea what Gundam even was or took the concept of "Gunpla is Freedom" waaaaaaaaaaay too literally.
>>
>>17703144
I guess the build series were accurate in the kind of things people do?
>>
>>17703149
Imagine being one of those background characters that only has a neatly recolored Zaku. Meanwhile everyone else is a powerlevel fag using shit like Avalanche Full Armor Dark Matter Exia 7S Full Saber to do FTKs. The game degenerated fast and hard due to these powerlevel fags, it reached the point where the store owner took away the tables we played on. The game simply caused too much autism, we would have a player break down and cry at how his Exia didn't oneshot you, other players would actually start selling gunpla inside the store (obviously the store owner didn't like this shit since he was losing customers to these guys) and at one point I even saw a player smack their son for distracting him during a game.

I stopped playing after less than 10 games. I couldn't bear the social embarrassment of playing with these fags. One of the highlight's of those games involved one of the game's playtester (his name is still in the credits) ruling it to be completely fine for a Qubeley Papillon player to summon 84 invisible funnels to one shot my gunpla because "the wiki doesn't specify how many funnels it has so theoretically it has infinite funnels". This was so bad that it ended up becoming an in joke between me & my friends that we still like to joke about.
>>
File: Does Not Compute.gif (822 KB, 600x366)
822 KB
822 KB GIF
>>17703175
>>
>>17703175
I don't even.
>the wiki doesn't specify how many funnels it has so theoretically it has infinite funnels
This is baffling. Everything else is LCS autism you can find during 40k, magic and yu-gi-oh games. But this, like, hot fuck.

>Stored in Qubeley Papillon's shoulder binders, they are normal funnels made of clear plastic, giving the illusion that the opponents are destroyed by attacks coming from nowhere
This is flaring MY autism. The clear funnels and absurd amount of regular funnels were only achievable because the designer was abusing the fact that the units were gunpla. If you are assuming the units in the game are "real", then it has zero invisible funnels and a quebley load of regular funnels. If clear funnels are allowed, then I can equip my gunpla with hobby knives and nippers for perfect armor penetration 1 hit kills.
>>
File: Just blow em up.jpg (27 KB, 908x680)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>17703175
Qubeley Papillon player to summon 84 invisible funnels to one shot my gunpla because "the wiki doesn't specify how many funnels it has so theoretically it has infinite funnels"

I would legit just go full stupid when they are going equally as retarded.

Whats stopping me from creating a 20km vaporized crater with the twin buster rifle and winning the game instantly if we are just going off the wiki? Wiki says I can blow up a colony so just do that.
>>
>>17703452
Oh I definitely decided to go full retard after that. I jokingly asked the playtester dude if I could give my Double X infinite range with its double satellite cannon. The moment he ok'd it, I quit because I just knew that these powerlevel fags would only get worse if they heard that. Game has been completely dead since late 2017 now but I can confirm it indeed kept getting worse.
>>
Alright, so I might chop something together with the idea of using it with the kind of player you pick up at your LGS in mind.

Core concept: I want the combat trappings of D&D's battle system and a tactical layer for commander types. This is for the sake of familiarity, players respond better when the combat is close to D20 in an RPG. So, movement, ranges and d20+skill.

Chargen: Since everyone is humans, we'd just go with a class. Classes would probably be as follows: Mechanic, Pilot, Commander and FUCKING NEWTYPE. These are tentative names and everyone can pilot at about the same level, tho. Players have separate character combat, mecha combat and social skill pools. More on skills later.

Mechanic: Only class that can perform field repairs. This class doesn't have a complex combat gimmik, they shoot and take cover and get bonuses for engaging at range.
Pilot: Pilots are actually the hot blooded idiot who pushes everything to the limit. Pilots get to push their mobile suit beyond factory parameters and do shit like turning off the limiters for three times the speed. These guys mostly get abilities that break their suits in exchange for breaking the rules.
Commander: Commanders are the only class that can make the supplies they have last longer. Commanders can deploy particle missiles and weapon barrages from a carrier with bonuses to their roll and do it more often. On the piloting side, Commanders can hand out bonuses to their allies as part of their regular actions.
FUCKING NETYPES: These are the only assholes who can completely avoid being hit from time to time. They can also do bullshit like forcing other FUCKING NEWTYPES to take the hit they wanted to avoid. They get the ability to UNDERSTAND shit, which allows them to sometimes force enemies to surrender instead of blowing up when killed.
>>
Combat: Combat will be simple on the basic level. When you attack someone, both roll and the winner of the roll decides where the hit lands on the defender. Armor works as a threshold that prevents all damage from any weapon that is weaker than it and a hit over the threshold always breaks the part being hit. Player characters and important NPCs will have points they can spend to negate a hit or go over a treshold with a weaker weapon.

Mobile Suits: Mobile suits and vehicles work the same, with the main distinction that vehicles have no limbs to redirect hits to, so they don't last as long in combat. Additionally, mobile suits tend to have systems and weapons that have their own rules and can be used a limited ammount of times.

The tactical layer: When deployment happens, mobile suits tend to enter the airspace/land between the thing they want to battle and their own command ship. Command ships are much like mobile suits, but they can interact with the battlemap while outside of it. Their own cooldown abilities are oriented towards creating cover, providing bonuses and area attacks. The idea is to provide a choice on what the players will use each turn from their communal resources So, a game with no command ship should still have some form of offscreen backup they can call upon.
>>
I bet there could be something fun to make out of that papercraft Dougram book and some manner of miniatures rules for turn-based living room battles.
>>
File: Gundam08thMSTeam01.jpg (1.81 MB, 2415x2669)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>17705703
>>17705705

Wow. There are some REALLY useful ideas here. I'm not a D&D fan so I'd go with a different dice mechanic, but a lot of your methods here are quite inspiring.

So in your system, Shiro Amada (MC of Gundam 08th MS Team) would be of the "mechanic class" I surmise. Fascinating.

>Commanders can deploy particle missiles
Don't know what you're on about with this though...
>>
>>17706003
In AGE, they fired missiles that dropped clouds of beam scattering particles. It reduced their effectiveness in an area. I mentioned them because the system is not tailored for any specific setting yet.
>>
>>17695158
>My friends only know D&D 5E
The eternal suffering. CoC, LotFR, OSR D&D, VtM, Traveller, so many games I never get to play
>>
>>17706035

You're gonna have to run it for them bro
>>
So should I run a Mekton game over the interwebz? Like, a one-shot, for some folks here?
>>
>>17706187
Do it. I'll play for sure.
>>
>>17706187
If you do, you might find this useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gvDPNflvd2b8T2kbIKfXVssPfPnM84Kz42ucJwmo_Xo/edit?usp=sharing

I made it for a short-lived attempt at running a Mekton game on here previously. It automatically calculates just about anything that can be automated.
>>
File: IMG_5833.jpg (44 KB, 800x600)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>17706218

Noice, thanks!
>>
>>17705703
>>17705705
>>17706003
I'll probably sound like a shill but The Greasemonkey Handbook for D&D 5E is the best homebrew mech system out there for it at the moment.

>>17706035
Way too many systems that I wanna use and none of my friends play them. FATE, ORE, Star Wars D20, Mekton, GURPs, etc.
>>
>>17706375
The module is crunchy. Very crunchy. It also seems to be far more oriented towards 40k or armored core than anything, with a heavy emphasis on custom building from a toolbox. It feels like the amount of work needed to play Gundam with this is about the same as using GURPS or mutants and masterminds.
>>
Does anyone know of any UC timelines that lists when new units were produced/rolled out? Gundam Wiki has a few precise dates, but most entries only list the year.
>>
Is there ever any talk a out how much anything costs in gundam?
>>
>>17706375
>I'll probably sound like a shill but The Greasemonkey Handbook for D&D 5E is the best homebrew mech system out there for it at the moment.

Hey, sounds very cool! Thank you for the recommendation.
>>
>>17691651
I've played my fair share of MZ. It's very old in it's design sensibilities, on top of just being fucking broken. For Mecha games, I have two alternatives I'm been wanting to try out.
The first is Silcore, which is the system Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles use. It's much more modern and sensible, and has just as many option as MZ. It has its own quirks, like damage being based on multipliers, but I'd pick it over mekton nine times out of ten.
Then there's GURPS, but since no 4e mecha supplement exists, trying to run a satisfying game with it requires a level of system mastery and ingenuity that I'm pretty sure I don't have. I think I might just wing it one of these days, though.
>>
>>17703175
>>17703235
>>17703452
There's a problem shared with all game about real tank/plane warfare, it's that some war machine are simply superior to other.
Unless a setting have been created to have meticulously balanced vehicle, or multi-vehicle teamplay, it's simply pointless to make a game from it.
For instance, a typical Gundam before mid-season upgrade would have to be fighting 2 enemies at once to even the odds.
>>
>>17706187
I've never used the system but I'd be into it
>>
>>17691575
I'd like to see mecha setting for Genesys' Narrative Dice System imo.
>>
>>17711507
>>17695898
>The reason I wrote a Gundam hack for Genesys

Do you have a pdf or do I have to dig in /gengen/?
>>
>>17707941
Not really. Resupply was already a hand waved topic much less higher level appropriations of new equipment.
>>
Someone's hacked up something using Blades in the Dark for an 08th MS Team style game.

Beam Saber: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14uhsdQIyMEoKEx0jGcE9eXIEm0R3MYv6uRCafKINa2k/edit
>>
File: DYxzMVrU0AMyAl_.jpg (100 KB, 910x517)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>17708191
>MZ is very old in it's design sensibilities
That is undeniably true
>MZ is broken
Your opinion is incorrect
>Silcore is better than MZ
Cetainly better supported, but system-wise I don't think so
>Silcore damage based on multipliers
True... I actually really like that idea, in theory. In practice it will slow play down. Not a lot, but it will. Still, it's rather clever, I think.
>>
File: mekton copy.jpg (17 KB, 289x376)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>17706187
>>17706194
>>17706218
>>17708983

OK, how about I run a game on Sunday, August 25th? Say 2pm to 7pm PST (GMT -7).

I guess we'd use Roll20... which I've never used before, so I'll need to familiarize myself a bit with it.

Should I create a new thread about it?
>>
>>17711590
So, since we don't get an idea of the value of money in gundam, what i'm thinking of doing is just using a generic "supply unit". A supply unit is spent after each sortie to recover each mobile suit and vehicle deployed and the ship's own stock of abilities. Ships tend to carry a number of supply units equal to the amount of mobile suits they are expected to carry x 3 and an extra three units for itself. Supply units carry an ammount appropriate to whatever it says in material for them. So a ship that carries "enough to supply two musais" carries whatever a musai needs x2.

Players are paid in supply units or new equipment for missions and favors or get them from allies when they dock.
>>
>>17698073
Yeah, they can get away with not delivering. Palladium did the Robotech RPG Tactics guys for 1.4 million. At least the RRT guys torpedoed the Rifts board game in retribution. That was some hilarious trolling.
>>
>>17712726
I'd be up for it. You might want to make a proper announcement thread once you've got the Roll20 game set up and you've decided on things like how many points you want the players to have.
>>
>>17713921

Good idea. I might actually just use Skype or something like that... I'm not sure I even need to use Roll20. Certainly the map function might be more annoying to me than useful.
>>
>>17714321
I recommend Roll20, personally. It's pretty simple to use.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.