[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 15467102348.png (110 KB, 415x280)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
Assuming that Ansbach never managed to kill Kircheis, how different would LOGH be?
>>
>>17527479
yaoi hands
>>
>>17527479
Reinhard might not have even taken over at the time he did. The unification of the empire under the Lohengramm name may have been drastically different and perhaps with much less bloodshed.
>>
>>17527479
The alliance would still exist
>>
File: Reuenthal tea.jpg (48 KB, 640x480)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
My boy Reuenthal wouldn't have been framed.
>>
>>17527479
Nobody would wonder what it would be like if Kircheis was there because Kircheis would be there.
>>
>>17527479
Yang would have btfo them all because Oberstein would have less influence
>>
>>17527479
Oberstein wouldn't have gotten his claws into Reinhard and turned him into the very thing he toppled the previous government to stop.
>>
>>17527479
Kircheis would be in charge of the charges on Yang's base so the war would end very soon. The only reason Iserlohn lasted so long was due to the incompetence of the ones in charge of the raids.
>>
>>17527479

>Kircheis is present during Reinhard and Yang's meeting.
>Suggests to Reinhard that instead of trying to get Yang on their side as a military commander, they should instead offer Yang a tenured position as a professor of history in the university of Odin.
>Yang accepts. None of that bullshit dickbaggery caused by muh misunderstands happen. Everyone lives happily ever after the Church of Terra gets BTFO.
>>
Reinhard wouldn't have gotten where he did in even a fraction of the time he managed it without Oberstein to do the dirty deeds that needed doing
>>
>>17532328
Nah, Yang was too principled for that to ever work. But Kircheis helping Rein to getting one over on Julian would've been a sight to see.
>>
>>17532338
This. When characters say "If only Kircheis were here" They are just trying to cope with the reality of warfare
>>
>>17532346
Yang specifically said he won't join them as a military man but at that point he was going to retire anyways and working as a professor was something he had always wanted. I don't see how it would be in violation of his principles to just teach history on Odin.
>>
>>17532378
Because it's bending the knee to a fundamentally undemocratic system, and Yang is a dedicated democrat. For all of his objections to the FPA he stuck with it because he had a small hope that it could actually be reformed and course-corrected through popular democracy, and most of his objections were about democratic systems being subverted to become undemocratic (violent coercion, kangaroo courts, (((people))) pulling the strings, etc.). It wasn't ideal but it could at least in theory be set right. His ideals wouldn't even have a chance in the Empire, and it's all well and good saying, "but Reinhard was benevolent," but he was never going to be immortal and there's very little to keep the position exclusive for benevolent rulers. That's the big point Yang makes when the two of them actually meet.
>>
>>17532386
I think we agree on all points regarding Yang's ideals and reasons for sticking with the FPA despite it's flaws and his unwillingness to serve Reinhard despite Reinhard's benevolence.

However this is not an issue of that. Yang himself throughout the series have stressed the differences between soldiers and civilians and the freedom of choice each are afforded. He himself was retiring and leaving behind his role as a solider and becoming a civilian, it's not his role to fight or uphold anything anymore. Taking a job in a foreign country as a civilian contractor even if you don't agree with that country's political system is entirely reasonable to me. It's not like he's fighting for the Empire.
>>
>>17532399
First, if you don't like autocracy you're not going to enjoy living in one.
Secondly, by giving up the fight and switching sides it's giving tacit approval to the system, and at the end of the day it makes him complicit in whatever that system does
>>
>>17532413
I disagree. Over the course of the series Yang has stress that he himself does not hate autocracy as it is just a form of government but he finds it wanting because leaders like Reinhard are far too rare for autocracies to remain moral.

I believe that in a way it implies that he does not find the Empire while under Reinhard's rule to be despicable. He even voiced his frustrations at one point with how really felt like the Empire were the preferable choice right now compared to the rot that is within the FPA. I do not believe he would have been unhappy to live as a civilian in Reinhard's Empire.

Secondly, from my point of view while Yang did not end up living in the Empire he intended to give up the fight when the FPA surrendered to the Empire. There's every indication that if no one had dicked around with his retirement he would have been happy just living the rest of his life collecting his well deserved pension. He only came back into the fray when they basically tried to use him as a scapegoat.
>>
>>17532445
>I believe that in a way it implies that he does not find the Empire while under Reinhard's rule to be despicable
Like I said, Reinhard was a benevolent ruler (actually, he was a kind of disinterested ruler but he knew how to appoint decent people) but he's never going to live forever. And with that particular system, what is there to keep the tyrants or incompetents out? Think about how even under a monarch as generally good as Reinhard someone like Oberstein could rise as high as he did and you can start to picture how difficult it is to ensure things stay as good under the lesser men who could very easily succeed Reinhard
>he intended to give up the fight when the FPA surrendered to the Empire.
I'm not convinced. He goes along with the arrest because of his respect for rule-of-law as a principle of the FPA (and more cynically because there wasn't really anything he could do about it from his position), but as soon as he gets busted out of the Alliance he sits around on the ship kicking himself that he's not in a position to negotiate with the Empire for some sort of autonomous territory, and then just declares independence from El Facil. He never gave up on carving out some little pocket of democracy.
>>
>>17532487
>you can start to picture how difficult it is to ensure things stay as good under the lesser men who could very easily succeed Reinhard

I would say that a rule that exceeds Reinhard's capacity to succeed him would be an impossibility but that's not the point of the matter. The point is that Yang would not be unhappy living in Reinhard's version of the Empire. At that point of the story there was no indication that Reinhard was going to kick the bucket so Yang had no reason to believe the good times were going to end all too soon.

>He never gave up on carving out some little pocket of democracy.

He never gave up the idea of some little pocket of democracy but certain things he said during his "honeymoon" with Frederica gave me the vibes that he was done with soldiering unless he was forced to fight for his life. I think at several points he even said to his wife that "it's not our responsibility anymore. We retired. Leave it to the people who are still on active duty". Sure as soon as he's back in the fray he's thinking about how to win for democracy but all he really wanted was to settle down with Frederica drink tea, and read a history book.

>Oberstein could rise as high as he did and you can start to picture how difficult it is to ensure things stay as good under the lesser men who could very easily succeed Reinhard

Funny thing is I think ironically if Yang had been brought to the Empire either willingly or unwillingly Oberstein wouldn't have been as bad as he was in the latter parts of the series. Oberstein is willing to get as evil as necessary to advance his agenda but Yang not being a perceived threat to the Empire would have allow Oberstein more leniency.
>>
File: Reinhard.jpg (445 KB, 938x2125)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
Lutz wouldn't have died
>>
>>17532676

>dat nervous look on Muller's face at Reinhard tempting fate
>>
File: 1526675780716.png (1.54 MB, 960x720)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>17532698
Imaging your Emperor being saying shit so dumb in front of armed men. Of course he was nervous. Why should he go down with him in such a retarded way. One thing is dying in a fight, another is dying after a weak boast.
>>
>>17527479
The FPA loses at Rantemario because Reinhard sends Kircheis to defeat Yang and prevent him from reinforcing the FPA at all.
>>
>>17533035
but the >F>P>A lost at Rantemario without Kircheis. It got BTFO to the point the fleet got sunk with no survivors. Bittenfeld broke their back
>>
>>17532522
>Oberstein is willing to get as evil as necessary to advance his agenda but Yang not being a perceived threat to the Empire would have allow Oberstein more leniency.
Reuenthal wasn't a threat to the Empire until Oberstein maneuvered him into a position where he was pretty much forced to rebel. There's no way Oberstein wouldn't have tried to purge an imperial Yang, civilian or no.
>>
>>17532522
>Oberstein is willing to get as evil
>evil
>>
File: 1510773152497.png (16 KB, 882x758)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>It's another episode of drunk crying to the OPs at 3 in the morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUf-8aXt9Hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sken4RHX9FY
>>
File: cri.jpg (35 KB, 567x437)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>17537601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwTn5CKubN8
>>
>>17537633
>Ending 1
>Scene shows only Julian and Reinhard at the end
God dammit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_xj0vTqXU
You know you've fucked up when they show's poster pureboi becomes this
>>
>>17537601
The third opening is so good that I never skipped it
>>
>>17529272
kek
>>
>>17537601
I cry every time I watch these openings, endings even more

Fuck that
>>
Reinhardt wouldn't have been abandoned by Annerose again and wouldn't have Oberstein and the Phezzani pulling his strings. The FPA is still fucked either way though.
>>
>>17537362
Immoral? Unethical? Pragmatic? Pick whichever you want, just don't take it the wrong way when I say "as evil as necessary" because Oberstein is one of the characters I could relate to the most.

>>17537309
Try he may but unlike Reuenthal, Reinhard would actually expect Oberstein to try to kill Yang. Yang is also a cut above Reuenthal given the two (Yang and Reinhard) work together to keep Yang's ass out of trouble, I expect Oberstein to be outmaneuvered.
>>
>>17529272
Do you think they'd say "Thank goodness Kircheis is here" instead?
>>
How long do you think Kircheis and Annerose would take to get together. Do you think it wouldn't be until after Reinhard became Kaiser and got married himself?
>>
>>17532929
>Imaging your Emperor being saying shit so dumb in front of armed men.

Have you never heard of what happened after Napoleon escaped from Elba?
>>
File: ruenthal.png (476 KB, 960x720)
476 KB
476 KB PNG
Why did he do it? Haven't watched it in a long time I don't remember.
>>
>>17539965
struggled between loyalty and ambition, when he was framed he said fuck it, not gonna beg, gonna put up a fight so both he and reinhardt would be satisfied as warriors, even if it cost their friendship.
>>
>>17539965
It was a perfect storm of Reuenthal's long-established problems with his personality and the situation in general. In no particular order:

>Reuenthal admires and respects Reinhard, but, being a man of great ambition and ability himself, also wants to challenge and surpass Reinhard. Reuenthal's own recognition of this desire was sparked by the challenge Reinhard made to him when Reinhard was in a dark mood after Kircheis died.
>Reuenthal has a fundamentally self-destructive nature as a result of his mother trying to kill him at birth and being raised in an environment where his father hated and cursed him for being his dead wife's illegitimate spawn. It is the reason why he fathers a child with an insane woman who repeatedly tries to kill him and feels restless and ill at ease when things are peaceful.
>Reuenthal has a great deal of pride, and resents the notion of having to present himself before Reinhard and beg for forgiveness like some kind of criminal, doubly so when it's a crime that he is accused of committing by scum like Lang. He did it once, and doesn't want to do it a second time.

There might be some other aspects as well, but these are the main factors involved.
>>
>>17539953
Do tell.
>>
>>17541378
Napoleon's first exile, to the island of Elba, happened because of the Battle of Leipzig, which itself happened as a result of the disaster in Russia. He escaped from Elba in less than a year and returned to France with a small group of followers. The new French government, which was again a Bourbon monarchy, ordered Napoleon to be arrested.

The most famous incident that came out of this was when the first group of soldiers encountered Napoleon and his small party while they were on their way to Paris. When they got to within speaking distance of him, Napoleon approached this group of hundreds of soldiers who had been sent to arrest him alone, announced who he was, and asked them if they would kill their Emperor. Rather than arrest him, the soldiers instead joined Napoleon's party. Napoleon went on to overthrow the restored French monarchy without any bloodshed at all, just by continuing his progress towards Paris and having an army of his supporters and followers spontaneously rally to his side.

That scene in LoGH that guy is complaining about is obviously inspired by this historical event, and the hilarious part is that what happened in real life is way more over the top than what Reinhard does.
>>
Yang would've actually lost since Kircheis was his equal, not Reinhard.
>>
>>17541945
Neat, thanks

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.