[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How do you want your devilman bro?
>>
>>17513162
ugly crazy thin lines bad
ugly crazy thick lines good
>>
>>17513162
In Adobe Animate
>>
>>17513162
Devilman G anime done by Trigger when
>>
>>17513301
kek
>>
>>17513301
wouldn't mind ttbh
>>
File: Jack04_360.jpg (222 KB, 808x1200)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>17513162
>>
>tfw devilman's creator's mentor's best, longest lasting work will never get a decent anime
>>
>>17513907
fag
>>
>>17514774
Resolve the manga first desu
>>
File: Devil Getter.jpg (339 KB, 1740x1240)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
>>17513162
How I want my Devilman? This.
>>
File: 080[1].jpg (125 KB, 511x799)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>17513162
Crybaby just didn't have the heart and soul of Devilman. Like that time Miki's parents died then were totally fine a couple of chapters later. Or delinquents hitting spiders with baseball bats. Or angry eyebrows. Or the gigantic supervillain castle in the middle of Tokyo.
>>
>>17514792
Didn't the manga got resolved? Earth's fucked, Akira dies and it leads to Violence Jack.
>>
>>17513162
If Devilman got a highly accurate lavishly animated manga word-for-word panel accurate adaptation animated on traditional cel with every frame individually inspected, edited, and approved by a time-travelling Go Nagai from the late seventies, they would still say that it's bad if a wider audience liked it. Because it's less about liking Devilman and more about being in a sekrit club and getting mad when too many people they like Devilman. If the manga, completely independent of any adaptation, were to suddenly spike in popularity and gain widespread mainstream western popularity you'd get ten threads a day talking about how Devilman was never good.

Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was cool though. Was more of a guest-starring-devilman crossover though.
>>
>>17514868
Though I like the ending to that OVA....Devilman Finale and God War happening at the same time.
>>
File: AMON_VHS.jpg (137 KB, 600x340)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>17513162
>>
Devilman: the Birth OVA.

The art is actually better than Nagai art.

The 90s Amon OVA isn't all that bad either.
>>
>>17514850

I like you, anon.
>>
>>17514855
Anon was talking about Cyborg 009
>>
File: AH!.png (72 KB, 300x303)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>17515056
>Bubble era OVA has better production values than the pulpy 70's manga
How could they accomplish this?
Haven't gotten around to Amon.
>>
File: kys2.png (52 KB, 325x204)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>17514850
Or Miki telling people to kill themselves
>>
File: kys3.png (87 KB, 465x226)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>
File: kys4.png (49 KB, 226x272)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>
>>17514850
>Like that time Miki's parents died then were totally fine a couple of chapters later

They did twice? Didn't they mention they were alive when the house was attacked?
>>
File: 1331985116031.jpg (55 KB, 799x535)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
I like my Devilman on a train,
I like my Devilman in the rain.
I like my Devilman near a giant robot,
I like my Devilman near an android with a cute butt.
>>
I just hate crybaby so much, jesus, it is the anime that I hate the most in my life.
>>
>>17515250
It's better than Nagai art even when he got rich.
>>
>>17514680
He's a big guy
>>
>/m/ hates crybaby
>/m/ hates kotm
>/m/ hates uprising
This place has become like /v/ where people asspull the gayest reasons to hate things because hating things is cool. It's super fucking gay
>>
>>17515451
Crybaby just looks like shit m8.

I hate the zany style.
>>
>>17515454
No, you're devastated that normies, especially attractive females, like it, and since it looks different you're double mad because now "YOUR" devilman, the true one, isn't the most well known anymore
>>
>>17515459
Don't care about those shit taste bitches and whores famalam.

I want my well defined masculine lines.
>>
>>17515451
It's only a couple of vocal hateposters. They tend to be autistic for some reason.
>>
Finish the OVAs from the 80s.
>>
>>17515688
No, I've noticed this board has been on a decline over the last year likely due to lack of disciplinary action which has allowed a lot of shitposting to run rampant.
>>
>>17515451
>/m/ hates crybaby
>/m/ hates uprising
Nothing wrong with these.
>>
>>17515775
I liked both
>>
File: 513jctWE6dL._SY445_.jpg (36 KB, 313x445)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>17513162
Like this.
>>
>>17515796
I still need to check this out.
>>
>>17515759
Got to ask, was Devilman: The Birth and Amon Apocalypse related?
>>
>>17515796
Ah yes...Grendizer, Jeeg and Getter. Only fucking cameo'd. It's mostly Devilman and Mazinger with the OVA basically saying "Yeah, Violence Jack is a follow up to Devilman"
>>
>>17515250
Imagine if we had the whole series done from the bubble era.
So disappointed it abruptly stopped.
>>
>>17515815
Nah they are completely standalone entries with little to no relation between them, they have different artstyles, directors, voice actors, composers, etc...
The Birth/Demon Bird was meant to be a straight adaptation with very little changes (aside from the slightly more serious tone) while Amon is a what if scenario of a certain event late in the manga, complete with a very healthy dose of late 90's edginess (to an almost ridiculous level).
>>
File: saotome repairs.gif (286 KB, 206x250)
286 KB
286 KB GIF
>>17515813
It's pretty great and has some interesting scenes, especially for Devilman's side.
>>
File: 63889215_p8.jpg (691 KB, 1852x937)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
>the absolute butchering of Go Nagai's character designs
One of Crybaby's biggest sins. Also whatever the fuck they did to Ryo's character. I'm just glad there are still artists that use the old designs for their fanart.
>>
>>17514868
>they would still say that it's bad if a wider audience liked it
I like the OVA series and the few Devilman moments from the 009 though and while they're not nearly as popular as Crybaby, the OVA at least is well liked by a lot of people (or used to be at least, no clue what it's like nowadays).
Crybaby is just boring, it's the worst Yuasa series I've watched and I like his style usually it's not even a matter of it looking different or what have you.
>>
>>17515451
I like Crybaby just fine but Uprising is a steaming piece of shit that completely ruined what could have been a promising franchise and retrospectively should have remained a single movie.
>>
>>17515958
>Waaa why isn't this adaptation 1:1 the original? I just want the same thing over and over again!
The manga will always be there if you want the original designs. God forbid artists try something new once in a while.
>>
>>17513162
Well done. Like a steak.
>>
>>17515252
That's why original manga Miki is best Miki though.
>>
>>17515978
To be honest, not a fan of Crybaby. Only because I think the 80's OVA is already good enough introduction to Devilman for the uninitiated (basically a straight up adaptation of the manga) making Crybaby kind of pointless. And I do hear arguments that "it's an updated to the modern times, man"...because being menaced by rappers wouldn't be dated or anything compared to high school delinquents or anything.

But if someone likes it, no skin off my bones..but I really would suggest they also take a gander at the 80's anime (and the 70's anime for a palette cleanser) but if some jackhole said the 80's OVA design is crap compared to Crybaby, I do flip my lid.
>>
File: 37004591_p19.jpg (54 KB, 405x441)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>17515984
I'm actually more of a fan of the redesigns from the 80s OVA series that changed things up while also keeping enough of the iconic Go Nagai original designs. I feel the same way about newer adaptions for any older shows that entirely disregards the original iconic art style. Most of the crybaby redesigns are fine but Ryo's redesign looks like shit, what the fuck did they do to his hair.
>>
>>17515993
The OVA is incomplete though...
>>
>>17515688
When shitposting becomes the majority of posts, that mentality becomes the perceived norm of people lurking the board, until people like that are the only ones with the patience left to post. I'm convinced that's why you can barely have threads about Gurren Lagann or Getter anymore without it turning into some superfluous warzone.
>>
>>17516032
Would worry about it, I'd have a conversation about getter and I'd be fine.
>>
>>17516036
Wouldn't worry about it my bad, autocorrect is a bitch sometimes, please ignore that
>>
>>17516036
So, how was Devolution? Being iffy about it myself. Never did like Getter Emperor suddenly being the big bad, ya know?
>>
>>17514868
>sekrit club

Absolute state of 4chan- how delusional do you have to believe that it’s about that rather than people just not liking it? I liked the anime myself but people can have their reasons for disliking it. In addition, people using the phrase “secret club” need to lurk more and integrate into the culture of 4chan rather than have 4chan adapt to it. How entitled do you have to be to believe otherwise? Lurk or kill yourself.
>>
Nagai is a hack just as much as Miyazaki
>>
>Crybaby sucked
>Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was cool
/m/ gives me a headache
>>
>that poster who cries about people not liking crybaby because he thinks they’re just hipsters

Nah people just dislikes how it looks nigga, go back to whatever normalfag site you came from
>>
>>17515688
>hateposters

Lurk more
>>
>>17516056
Yeah, the writing can get up it’s ass sometimes and the retcon about every other previous contuninity is retarded, but the art is nice and writing isn’t bad when you get past the pseudo intellectual crap about being the “protagonist” and whatnot. It’s not like getter to use flowery words like that, usually it just cuts to cosmic horror.
>>
>>17515451
No, what IS super fucking gay is that they can't and won't articulate why.
>>
>>17515451
>/m/ hates KotM
No it doesn't, actually look at the Godzilla threads.
>>
Are devilman threads cursed or something because this is the third time this has happened?
>>
>>17515993
You're still a pretentious fag for assuming people who like Crybaby aren't well aware of the OVAs
>>
>>17513162
>How do you want your devilman bro?
Not done by Yuasa.
And not pandering to teenagers and pseudo-intellectual hipsters.
>>
>>17515993
>But if someone likes it, no skin off my bones
Liking it is not the problem. But if you look at the people who did like it and at how they behave towards fans of Nagai, that's reason enough to wish it never existed. Like those who invaded the most current Cutie Honey thread on this very board. They activiely try to ruin other people's enjoyment.
>>
>>17515451
you are actually retarded
>>
>>17515984
seething
how many post are you gonna make defending that shitshow?
however much they're paying you, it's not enough
>>
>>17516273
says the retard
>>
>>17516250
I stand correct, devilman threads really are cursed. And off all things nobody talks about the 1972 anime adaptation.
>>
>>17516303
>And off all things nobody talks about the 1972 anime adaptation.
To be fair, it can't compete with either the manga or the OVA. Still beats Crybaby by quite a margin.
It's flaws are somewhat excusable, knowing how it's from the early 70s and was made concurrently with the manga, not knowing where exactly the latter would go, storywise.
>>
>>17513162
I liked it. It's not the same as the manga or even as good as the manga, but I appreciate the fact it's a little different. Taking inspiration from Devilman Lady was a surprise. If I want the original manga I can easily load it up on my tablet and read it again. There's nothing about Crybaby worth getting asspained about.
>>
>>17516312
Believe it or not the 70s is believed to be what the original concept of was meant to be since episodes were made before the manga's debut. While the manga came out just a week before the first episodes airing, it is still interesting to say the least. Also when toei found out about Ryo auska, they wished they included him in the adaptation but by then during production it was already too late.
>>
>>17516298
>Everyone that disagrees with me is a seething paid shill!
Congratulations on graduating from the /v/ school of constructing an argument!
>>
>>17516327
>Also when toei found out about Ryo auska, they wished they included him in the adaptation but by then during production it was already too late.
Yeah. Nagai talks about that in Gekiman (great read).
I don't think anyone blames the 72 anime for not being perfect. Most people love it. I love it. I just like the manga and the OVA more. While all the Devilman anime adaptations were flawed, Crybaby is the first one to really fuck it up. And that's mainly because Yuasa eihter didn't get what the manga was about, or ultimately didn't care.
>>
NON BIASED OPINION HERE:
The beginning was a little rocky, the episode with Jinmen was painful to watch but the rest of the show from that point onwards is perfection
>>
>>17516557
>NON BIASED OPINION HERE:
That you wrote that makes me think that your opinion is incredibly biased - so much in fact, that you feel you have to deny it before anyone can you accuse you of any bias.
>>
>>17516575
Or *maybe* you're just overthinking it or really fucking invested in your shitposting. I dont give a fuck
>>
It could have done without all the blatant sexual shit. I didn't need to see Akira nutting all over the ceiling, nor did I need that gratuitous close up of his throbbing bulge. I didn't need to see those two fags doing anal. I didn't need to see Sirene masturbating every time she was onscreen.
>>
>>17516581
>shitposting
Point out one single shitpost I made, retard.
I just noticed how you behave very suspiciously. If you scream "I didn't murder that guy" before anyone even suggests that you did, there is a pretty good chance that you did indeed murder that guy.
Another indication is that you now get extremely defensive and low-key accuse me of shitposting, just for pointing your behaviour out, despite there hardly being any shitposts in this thread, and none of those few are from me. (And if they were, you'd have no way of knowing.)

>I dont give a fuck
Okay. If you say so.
>>
>>17514774
But Cyborg 009 (2001) was great, shitty digipanint aside. Literally the best thing Jun Kawagoe's ever directed.
>>
>>17516750
I was talking about Kamen Rider.
>>
>>17516273
Considering I actually met folks who didn't know that there was an 80's OVA and thought Devilman is a new thing...how the fuck am I the pretentious one?
>>
>>17516327
Didn't they tried to include Ryo but wound up making a new character? But yeah, I like the 72 anime, it's a bit of fun and it's basically it's own thing what with Devilman's origin being different.
>>
>>17516851
Yeah it's much more in line of being a motw show airing alongside mazinger z. Also it's interesting seeing him grow giant to fight many of the larger demons, made it possible for the mazinger z vs devilman crossover movie.
>>
>>17516851
Especially that the 72 anime has this character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNs15X0ELdU

The embodiment of fun right there.
>>
>>17514875
It's not God's War. It's Yomi.
>>
>>17517312
You sure it's not God's War?
>>
File: devilman lady vol10 c2.jpg (573 KB, 1456x1031)
573 KB
573 KB JPG
>tfw I genuinely love Devilman Lady but everyone thinks I only like ironically
I still maintain to this day the the hell arc is the greatest thing Nagai has ever written.
>>
>>17518388
Damn that's a nice art.
>>
>>17518388
I don't love it, but I like it. I think most of the negative reaction comes from people that haven't read it in its entirety, or even beyond the first one or two volumes. Despite the weird rape opening and a few other moments, Devilman Lady is a rather conventional action comic compared to the original Devilman. The ending is awful, but other than it's very solid.
>>
I'm split on whether to bump this thread, but I do have hope whether it can be salvaged.

I do wonder: Where does everyone here rank the Devilman franchise among Nagai's works?
Usually, on /a/ you'd expect something like:
Devilman > Cutie Honey > Mazinger
And I'd say it's generally the other way around on /m/ ... right?

For me personally it's:
Cutie Honey > Devilman > Mazinger
With many of the smaller things being below those three and some others somewhere about the level of Devilman.
>>
>>17521128
Devilman as a manga is by far the greatest thing Nagai has done.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (877 KB, 1228x2160)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
>>17513162
like this
>>
>>17522876
>Devilman as a manga is by far the greatest thing Nagai has done.
From a "Magnum Opus" standpoint, sure. But that doesn't automatically make it everyone's favourite. So ... is it yours or not?
>>
>>17522925
Yes, by far. Violence Jack comes in second place, though I haven't read a whole lot of it.
>>
>>17518388
I feel you anon, I feel you
>>
>>17521128
Cutie Honey isn't that good really. Just some neat Nagai fetish/sex thing that's a bit more popular than his others
>>
>>17522939
That's fair. Like I said before, I like the smaller scale of Cutie Honey best, mostly the original 73 manga, as well as how it incorporates its comedic elements. Speaking of which: I also really enjoy his pure comedies. Enma-kun or Abashiri Ikka. I'm not sure whether I'd put them before or behind Devilman though.
Devilman, of course, is pretty great. And I couldn't name a Nagai thing that I know that I didn't enjoy.
>>
>>17522982
>Cutie Honey isn't that good really.
Except it is. It's not heavy on any "fetish", quite serious (thematically speaking), just as symbolic as Devilman, just as much about morality - but on a more subjective, individual scale - and way more condensed and poignant.

Anyway, it's strange that whenever you say that you like Cutie Honey, someone comes and tries to prove its "objective" inferiority, as if you weren't allowed to hold that opinion. The "sex == bad" argument is also pretty superficial, if you ask me. And the "just another Nagai fetish/sex thing" sounds extremely disrespectful towards a majority of Nagai's work, which tells me that you'te probably not a big fan of him, right?
>>
>>17523006
>you're probably not a big fan of him, right?
I like his integration of sexy shit in his works. Fuck you talkin' about. Also consider he also does pure ecchi
>>
>>17523061
>Fuck you talkin' about.
Well, your argument was that it's not that good because it's just "some neat Nagai fetish/sex thing". That sounds kinda harsh and judgemental. If you like that, okay. But you're choosing very strange words. Let alone that you replied to a subjective statement of taste with "It's not good".

And I do think that you underestimate what Cutie Honey does in comparison to, say, Abashiri Ikka. There's a reason it's usually not listed as a comedy, despite it's partially lighthearted tone.
>>
>>17523080
>>17523080
The Toei adaptation wasn't that particularly impressive and the manga's only two volumes. Like you said anon, it's themes themes are condensed due to its length so it really isn't much highlighted
>>
>>17523091
It is, chief.
>>
>>17523094
Like wasn't it confirmed that Violence Jack is Akira Fudo or something?
>>
>>17523093
>the manga's only two volumes
That doesn't make it any worse. We don't measure quality in pages used. If we did, Twilight would be orders of magnitude better than Poe's Tell-tale Heart.

>themes are condensed due to its length
And that's a good thing! It means that the themes, characters and narrative are more concise, dense and direct than in most other manga. Not everyone likes that style, sure, but saying that something is worse because it's not as long-winded as most other things is a very strange argument.
>>
>>17518388
Agreed. That arc stands out as one of my most cherished experiences in manga as a whole.
>>
File: 1490214818517.jpg (360 KB, 1280x720)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>17523091
>>
>>17523110
Care to elaborate these themes you speak of? All you're doing is telling me it has more depth than it lets on without any substantiation
>>
>>17523094
>>17523321
Violence Jack is something like an alternate sequel to Devilman and a crossover of most Go Nagai's works. Devilman Lady is the true sequel to Devilman, followed by Devilman Saga.
>>
>>17523357
>Care to elaborate these themes you speak of?
I'll try to keep it short, as it's obviously a bit off-topic in a Devilman thread, but:
The main theme it has is one of morality, namely that of the moral imperfection of human beings and the tension between "Good" and "Evil" as abstract principles. The symbolism in that regard is pretty clear: On the one side we have Honey, who is pure and righteous, on the other the purely evil Zora. There is a strong motive of corruption, greed, moral depravity when it comes to Panther Claw and Jill in particular. And there are always points of weakness for Honey herself - when she lets revenge and rage guide her - but she never falters. Where we do see a true middle ground are the side characters, Seiji, his family, the teachers, students. Those are what it means to be truly human. Honey herself has two aspects to her, but the one that dominates is that of a n opposing pronciple to Zora and Pather Claw as an organization.
That way, the "battle between Good and Evil" is displayed on two different layers: The immediate, human level in the foreground (a battle that is decided between Honey and Jill) and a manicheistic representation of moral extremes in the background (that cannot be decided).

And all of that embeded where it would naturally occur: In a lighthearted everyday setting with lots of personal interactions between characters. A community of rather "normal" (and yet very obscure) indiviudals (like all of us).

Well, that's basically it. Of course, there's more to it. Like Nat-chan's role in all of it, for example. But let's not get into that.
And, yes, that's just an interpretation. I don't claim that it's the only correct one.
But it does make sense. By the way: David Lynch uses very similar motives in Twin Peaks, especially in the third season. So it's not as if this thematic background was particularly uncommon.
>>
>>17515252
I like manga Miki because she actually has some fucking personality behind her. Most adaptations make her the cute nice girl next door which is BORING. Now jump off a bridge.
>>
>>17518388
I like Lady but I can understand why a lot of people couldn't get into it considering it doesn't start to get going until about the fourth volume and you gotta read through a lot of demon rape to get to that point. Personally I think demon rape is hot so that was a bonus but this world is filled with people who have shit taste and they'll never understand.
>>
>>17521128
Just those three, I'd say Devilman is top, Mazinger second, Cutie third. Top three for Dynamic house stuff would be Jack, Getter and Mazinger Angels though.
Mugen Utamaro is also really swell.
>>
>>17522948
>>17523161
>>17523406
In case you guys didn't know, Neo Devilman's Vol.2 Ch.3 is a canon Lady sidestory done by Nagai himself about the Devilman cat girl who was killed by Liger. She ends up meeting Akira in hell and venturing a bit with him. It adds a lot of cool details about hell in Devilman Lady like the fact that Silene likes to wander around in a Nazi uniform.
>>
>>17516846
So you don't even know what pretentious means eh? Retard
>>
>>17526196
>So you don't even know what pretentious means eh?
Well, I'd say that people PRETENDING to be Devilman fans, and not knowing anything about it except the butchered and superficial Yuasa version, are quite pretentious, anon.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (741 KB, 1440x1080)
741 KB
741 KB PNG
>>17522916
OVA naked Miki is better
>>
File: 000_1549806269.png (350 KB, 954x1371)
350 KB
350 KB PNG
>>17526188
Fuck it, I'll dump it. It's a pretty good story anyway and a great treat to those who read Lady. Plus it's not like this thread is having constructive discussion and it's always good to discover hidden uncle Go stories. It's story time!
>>
File: 001_1549806269.png (664 KB, 1988x1371)
664 KB
664 KB PNG
>>17526887
>>
File: 002_1549806269.png (306 KB, 960x1386)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>17526896
>>
>>17513162
crybaby is to devilman what TTGL is to mecha anime
>>
File: 003_1549806269.png (320 KB, 948x1365)
320 KB
320 KB PNG
>>17526901
>>
File: 004_1549806269.png (369 KB, 936x1351)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>17526906
>>
File: 005_1549806269.png (351 KB, 959x1375)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
>>17526907
>>
File: 006_1549806269.png (379 KB, 959x1373)
379 KB
379 KB PNG
>>17526914
>>
File: 007_1549806269.png (328 KB, 954x1370)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>17526919
I think we all know who this mysterious Nazi lady is by now.
>>
>>17526914
It's my brother KYOJIIIII
>>
File: 008_1549806269.png (395 KB, 959x1369)
395 KB
395 KB PNG
>>17526923
>>
File: 009_1549806269.png (194 KB, 959x1369)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>17526928
>>
>>17526902
Come on, I don't like TTGL either. But at least TTGL didn't look like shit.
>>
File: 010_1549806269.png (319 KB, 959x1371)
319 KB
319 KB PNG
>>17526932
>>
File: 011_1549806269.png (254 KB, 941x1360)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>17526939
>>
File: 012_1549806269.png (186 KB, 959x1375)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>17526943
>>
File: 013_1549806269.png (294 KB, 959x1370)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>17526948
>>
File: 014_1549806269.png (277 KB, 959x1370)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
>>17526951
>>
File: 015_1549806269.png (269 KB, 959x1370)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>17526953
>>
File: 016_1549806269.png (302 KB, 959x1370)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>17526956
I honestly love Akira in Lady. He just has an incredible presence.
>>
File: 017_1549806269.png (498 KB, 959x1370)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
>>17526959
>>
File: 018_1549806269.png (195 KB, 959x1370)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>17526967
>>
File: 019_1549806269.png (264 KB, 959x1370)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
>>17526968
She's pretty cute
>>
File: 020_1549806269.png (396 KB, 959x1370)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>17526973
>>
File: 021_1549806269.png (407 KB, 959x1370)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>17526978
>>
File: 022_1549806269.png (254 KB, 959x1370)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>17526989
>>
File: 023_1549806269.png (428 KB, 959x1370)
428 KB
428 KB PNG
>>17526991
>>
File: 024_1549806269.png (313 KB, 959x1370)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>17526994
>>
File: 025_1549806269.png (359 KB, 954x1370)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>17526998
>>
File: 026_1549806269.png (502 KB, 959x1370)
502 KB
502 KB PNG
>>17527001
>>
File: 027_1549806269.png (465 KB, 959x1370)
465 KB
465 KB PNG
>>17527003
>>
File: 028_1549806269.png (233 KB, 959x1370)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>>17527006
I honestly love the inclusion of this dark city to Devilman Lady's hell. It adds another layer to its already fantastic atmosphere.
>>
File: 029_1549806269.png (225 KB, 959x1370)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>17527009
>>
File: 030_1549806269.png (223 KB, 959x1370)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>17527011
>>
File: 031_1549806269.png (372 KB, 956x1370)
372 KB
372 KB PNG
>>17527014
>>
File: 032_1549806269.png (985 KB, 1945x1371)
985 KB
985 KB PNG
>>17527016
>mfw they say Nagai is a bad artist
>>
File: 033_1549806269.png (328 KB, 959x1370)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>17527020
>>
File: 034_1549806269.png (381 KB, 956x1370)
381 KB
381 KB PNG
>>17527029
why boner
>>
File: 035_1549806269.png (493 KB, 957x1370)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>>17527033
>>
File: 036_1549806269.png (575 KB, 956x1370)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
>>17527039
>>
>>17523492
explain pls
according to google translate, that means "Sequel work of Devilman"
crybaby's website also calls it a sequel

https://devilman-crybaby.com/genealogy/
>At the end of the story, Violence Jack (1973-), which began serialization after the end of Devilman, revealed that it was a sequel to Devilman, and the attempt to organically link the entire Nagai work accelerated.

>EOP
I know it's a cliche, but I'm actually italian
>>
File: 037_1549806269.png (237 KB, 959x1370)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
>>17527044
>>
File: 038_1549806269.png (326 KB, 957x1370)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>17527048
>>
File: 039_1549806269.png (390 KB, 959x1370)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>17527054
>>
File: 040_1549806269.png (420 KB, 955x1370)
420 KB
420 KB PNG
>>17527057
>>
File: 041_1549806269.png (354 KB, 959x1370)
354 KB
354 KB PNG
>>17527063
>>
File: 042_1549806269.png (368 KB, 956x1370)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>17527067
>>
File: 043_1549806269.png (355 KB, 959x1370)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
>>17527070
>"You're beautiful..."
>"Flattery will get you nowhere!"
>"...as a bird. You'd make some pretty good teriyaki"
I fucking love Nagai's one liners. Guess we have another one for the legend.
>>
>>17523129
CBGNW confirms it is, retard, and CB is canon to all associated series, retard.
>>
File: 044_1549806269.png (399 KB, 954x1370)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>>17527084
>>
File: 045_1549806269.png (404 KB, 959x1370)
404 KB
404 KB PNG
>>17527088
>>
File: 046_1549806269.png (408 KB, 953x1370)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
>>17527090
>GATTAI!!
>>
File: 047_1549806269.png (699 KB, 1948x1373)
699 KB
699 KB PNG
>>17527094
>>
File: 048_1549806269.png (516 KB, 1947x1363)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
>>17527098
>>
File: 049_1549806269.png (385 KB, 959x1370)
385 KB
385 KB PNG
>>17527105
>>
File: 050_1549806269.png (378 KB, 956x1370)
378 KB
378 KB PNG
>>17527110
>>
File: 051_1549806269.png (280 KB, 959x1370)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>17527115
Can someone explain this to me? Did she create a new timeline where she is alive? Or was the world rewritten so that she never fought Lady?
>>
File: 052_1549806269.png (322 KB, 959x1370)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>17527125
>>
>>17527088
Godzilla on blast
>>
File: 1552412680480.png (2.75 MB, 1328x1144)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB PNG
A lot of modern material seems to try painting Sirene in a more sympathetic/less malicious light than she was originally. I know she's one of Nagai's favorite characters, but is "Sirene did nothing wrong" really true?
>>
File: 053_1549806269.png (342 KB, 959x1370)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
>>17527129
Aaaaand the end, hope you guys enjoyed it, I sure did. Well that's if anyone actually bothers to read it, and judging from the activity in this thread I don't have high hopes...
Anyways that was my very first story time, I'll probably try to do another Nagai related one in the future if I ever have the occasion again.
>>
>>17527141
It's funny that even after all this time, go nagai never lost his style.
>>
>>17527137
>is "Sirene did nothing wrong" really true?
It's all a matter of perpective. (Even in the original.)
>>
>>17527143
>go nagai never lost his style
His drawing has definitely changed over time. I think his 70s stuff is by far the best, though Devilman Lady looked pretty good whenever it came to the more grotesque stuff.
>>
>>17526948
>>17526951
>>17526953
>Allor porsi la mano un poco avante
>e colsi un ramicel da un gran pruno;
>e ’l tronco suo gridò: "Perché mi schiante?"

>Da che fatto fu poi di sangue bruno,
>ricominciò a dir: "Perché mi scerpi?
>non hai tu spirto di pietade alcuno?

>Uomini fummo, e or siam fatti sterpi:
>ben dovrebb’esser la tua man più pia,
>se state fossimo anime di serpi".
>>17527141
Thanks anon, it was a good read.
>>
>>17527282
Oh fuck I never read the Divine Comedy so I never actually noticed this. I guess that's another thing to appreciate about those hell chapters.
>>
>>17513301
As long as I get to see blue Sirene animated I’ll take it.
>>
>>17513301
I haven't read Devilman G, but I've heard it basically just shits on every single theme of the original in favor of shonen bullshit.
>>
File: annoyed.png (462 KB, 600x465)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
>come in this thread to what's going on
>nothing but hate for Crybaby and this one guy who will jump on every comment that also hate it just to say "I agree"

I thought this was /m/, not /v/.
>>
>>17527799
>I've heard it basically just shits on every single theme of the original in favor of shonen bullshit.
No, that's Crybaby.
G/Grimoire is actually quite fun. Lots of humour, lots of homages to the original - and even the OVA (they even included breast-ripping). Not as serious as the original manga, but something you can throughoutly enjoy if you like the original. Kinda like the "Cutie Honey a Go Go" manga for that franchise.
>>
>>17527821
Get used to it: Where people think for themselves, you will get opinions different from your own. If that triggers you, try echochambers like ANN, MAL or Tumblr. Good thing for you: They love Yuasa above everything, so you will find your opinion echoed right back at you!
>>
>>17527834
I understand people have different opinions, but I came in this thread for discussion, not sheep baah circlejerking about everything thing they hate and this one guy who have suck every dick he see that agree with him. Where's the positive, that's why call this place /v/.
>>
>>17527861
>sheep baah circlejerking about everything thing they hate
The OP asked for individual preferences. And pretty much invited giving opinions on Crybaby.
And people, especially Nagai fans and especially on /m/ , didn't like that one. Of course, you can call that circlejerking, but unless you prohibit a certain group of people from voicing their opinions at all, this is what will happen.

>Where's the positive
In nearly every statement about the manga, the original anime, the OVA, even Devilman G, Cutie Honey, Mazinger. Lots of positive sentiments in here. Shared sentiments, just like people share their not-so-positive sentiments on Crybaby. And everyone contributes slightly different angles.

On the other hand, in every other Nagai-related thread, you get one Crybabyfan butting in, trying to make it all about Yuasa and how much better, in his opinion, that adaptation was. Look at the last Cutie Honey thread here on /m/ , where one shithead spammed one-line comments (multiple replies to one post in one-minute intervals) saying how shit CH Universe allegedly was and how much better he found Crybaby. Just to derail the thread. Multiple times. That's an actual problem, not people giving thought out reasons on why they don't like an adaptation that's highly problematic as an adaptation.
>>
>>17527884
>OP asked for individual
From my perspective, I thought of something else so I apologize for that.

>positive
When I was talking about that, I meant on things what the show did great. I can understand how people feel about new things, but what I saw was something different. I called it circlejerking because of that one guy won't shut up. I can understand certain parts of show may not be up to some people perspective, this is coming from a guy who read the original Devilman. I thought it was great, despite adding new things to it.

Sure, it's not perfect, but I will say that it was a something nice that can be said that it introduced a cool thing to many people. Also the Crybaby guy sound like someone from /v/ would do.
>>
It's just fucking bizarre to me I guess, because I was taking a long hiatus from 4chan at the time, and when I saw Crybaby I just assumed everyone here would like it. Coming back here for SRW T and seeing that people have knee jerk nitpicks dumbfounded me and makes me feel that the board has gone to contrarian hell
Just fucking admit you like it and post otherwise because of the "normies".
At least be fucking grateful this led to the manga in physical English
>>
>>17527920
>the Crybaby guy
Which one would that be? Because my impression is that it might be multiple people.
Meanwhile, there seems to be at least one guy in here who dismisses all criticism with "you're just hateposters", "you're just mad that it's successful", "you're just a sekrit club" and other troll arguments. Plus claiming that no one made an actual argument why they dislike it, when, as everyone who reads this thread can see, there have been detailed elaborations on what's there to dislike.

I, personally, have no problem with people liking it, but most fans of Crybaby are indeed not interested in an honest exchange of opinions. They just want to silence any dissenters, not by argument, but by shouting louder. Especially when those dissenters are the majority.

I did have a some more or less successful attempts at discussion, mostly on /a/, about the quality of Crybaby. It most often comes down to the animation, because there's no common ground on the story and too much common ground on the soundtrack (which I liked). And the level of excuses the Yuasa apologists come up with is astounding, According to them, Yuasa can do no wrong: Animation is stiff and repetitive? Well, then that's definitely there to show how much worse those humans move in comparison to Akira. Animation is hyperfluid? Well, then it's because it's meant to symbolize an LSD trip. No shading? That's for the "mood". Sloppy linework? Well, the animator was "INSERT SEMI-POPULAR NAME HERE", so he know what he was doing.
It's somewhat tiresome.
>>
>>17527930
>when I saw Crybaby I just assumed everyone here would like it
Go to MAL or Tumblr. You'll find what you're looking for. Reddit works too, I guess.

>knee jerk nitpicks
That it doesn't respect the original is a "kneejerk nitpick"? That it looked like shit? Had too much teen drama? Didn't get what the original was about? Was unfocused? That its fans behave like you are behaving now and try to ruin Nagai threads for everyone? Is that a nitpick?

>Just fucking admit you like it
Fuck off, retard. No, I don't like it. Deal with it.

>At least be fucking grateful this led to the manga in physical English
Why would I care? I've already read the manga in English. And I'm living neither in the United Kingdom nor Australia nor 'Murica.
>>
>>17528113
oh shit, thanks for reminding me of that
>>
>>17523394
By all means anon, continue
>>
>>17528337
Considering that this is about Devilman fist and foremost, and that I don't want to derail the thread, I really can't go into too much detail. If this was a Cutie Honey thread, I gladly would. I have written about it there before, but mostly in the context of Universe, which is the first adaptation to add new themes to the moral interpretation. Namely a Kantian perspective; that's what Tarantula is about. It also greatly increased Natsuko's role: Lets her interact with all other characters and gives her the same meaning in those interactions that she originally only had with Honey. She also mirrors them as a "better" (more serene, more complete) version of some of their characteristics.

Her role in the original, by the way, is both that of a catalyst (her death triggers the main plot advancement and Honey's swap from a relatively passive to a more active character) and that of an "anchor" for Honey: She is what allows Honey to be human, not just the symbolic representation of "Good", but also a moral agent herself. Notice how Honey is still the dialectic opposite to Zora, not Jill, but it is Jill she fights.

There are of course also nuances in Panther Claw itself. In other words, nuance to what doing evil means. The original anime excels in that aspect, even though it, generally speaking, weakens the moral motives in its narrative and trivializes a lot of what Panther Claw does, especially when it comes to Zora herself.

Well, if you show up to the next Cutie Honey thread, here or on /a/ , we can elaborate more on those points. It's not that they don't matter to Devilman - they do and Devilman also lends itself to a moral/ethical interpretation. But Devilman looks at morality more on a societal level. Different focus. Think Hobbes, but less optimistic.
>>
>>17528391
>Considering that this is about Devilman fist and foremost, and that I don't want to derail the thread
It's a Devilman thread on /m/. Wha'chu blabbering about.
>>
>>17528408
Well, sure, thread for one Nagai thing, thread for all Nagai things. I'm not against discussing Cutie Honey things in here, but this right here is basically about my reading of the franchise as a whole, and thus an insanely huge topic. If you do have questions on how I see this one thing or this other one, or disagree on a certain interpretation of mine, that's discussions we can have in here. I'd just suggest that it's better if I don't fill this thread with multiple posts close to the character limit that don't have a direct relation to Devilman.
>>
>>17515451
>/m/ hates kotm
/m/ fucking loves kotm the shit are you talking about
>>
File: Spoiler Image (421 KB, 1698x1200)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>>17527170
>though Devilman Lady looked pretty good whenever it came to the more grotesque stuff
That's an understatement, at times it had some of the best art Nagai ever did.
>>17527020
Something I really like about Lady is that mysterious and dark urban fantasy feel it has. Sure the original Devilman was like that at times but it never was for long and the stories it told didn't really capitalize on that specific feel you get from this kind of setting due to the direction Nagai was taking with it.
>>
File: x22.png (810 KB, 1703x1200)
810 KB
810 KB PNG
>>17531393
>>
File: x24.png (383 KB, 822x1200)
383 KB
383 KB PNG
>>17531394
>>
File: x29.png (726 KB, 1707x1200)
726 KB
726 KB PNG
>>17531404
>>
File: x32.png (426 KB, 821x1200)
426 KB
426 KB PNG
>>17531405
>>
File: x33.png (409 KB, 830x1200)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>17531408
This entire chapter was a sight to behold.
>>
File: x51.png (318 KB, 813x1200)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>17531409
And while it may not be impressive compared to others, this is by far my favorite Nagai art piece of all time.
>>
>>17531405
>>17531408
>>17531409
>torreggiavan di mezza la persona
>li orribili giganti, cui minaccia
>Giove del cielo ancora quando tuona.

>E io scorgeva già d’alcun la faccia,
>le spalle e ’l petto e del ventre gran parte,
>e per le coste giù ambo le braccia.
>>
>>17533990
>the honeyfag that shit up every honey thread for the past year
You do realize that having a discussion is not "shitting up the thread", don't you?
And that liking Cutie Honey is not the position of one lonely poster in Cutie Honey threads.
Apparently, you are one of the trolls that come there to spam their hatred and then think that they are only arguing against one person when the whole thread tells them to fuck off. Well, you better fuck of right now as well, before you make this thread any worse than it is.

>It's also a bunch of pedobait
Yes, seems you indeed are a shitposter. Who would have thought.
>>
>>17534046
>Having one of your main characters be a 11 year old girl who you see in repeated sexual situations, stripped, dressed slutty, tentacle raped and more isnt pedobait.
Well, I don't read manga primarily to fap to them. No rape in the Devilman franchise has ever sexually aroused me. So I don't really see a problem with a fictional child being violated for dramatic purposes.
But I guess, if it had a sexual effect on you, you are in a better position than me to evaluate that point than me.
>>
Devilman Crybaby
>shit artstyle
>tries to flesh out characters that didn't need fleshing out
>completely fucks up Ryo
>>
>>17534159
>the franchise never had pedobait till Grimoire
I don't consider that pedobait. It's as easy as that. You can argue that certain scenes could have been avoided, but the history of literature and film is full of sexual descriptions or depictions, some of them involving minors, that are not primarily about getting anyone aroused.

>how bad cutie honey universe was
Ah, look at that. You just keep on trolling, right?
Well, sorry, but most people seem to disagree with you, not only me.
>>
NEW THING BAD
OLD THING GOOD
Am I a part of the kool kids club yet senpai?
>>
>>17513162
>Normalfags thought this shit had both great art and animation

What in the goddamn
>>
>>17534480
It's Yuasa. Literally the goto director for nornalfags who want to feel "intellectual" and "artsy". In other words: Hipsters.
They see something that looks ugly and pretend that for that reason alone it's bold and daring, when it is anything but.

>>17534457
>NEW THING BAD
>OLD THING GOOD
>Am I a part of the kool kids club yet senpai?
No, you don't get it. It has nothing to do with how old or new something is. /m/ in particular loves lots of new stuff. Nagai fans liked Mazinger Infinity (new). Nagai fans liked Cutie Honey Universe (new). They just didn't like Devilman Crybaby.
>>
I geuinley think both the OG and Crybaby have their own strengths
One of Crybaby strengths is the fact it kinda did it's own thing, also Akira shines through more as a character instead of the question of how much he's still Akira in the OG
Ryo is way worse though
>>
>>17526923
Is this from Devilman and Ryo's Weird Gay Adventure?
>>
Thinking about the underlying base premise of Devilman makes me deeply uncomfortable...
>>
>>17534769
>Thinking about the underlying base premise of Devilman makes me deeply uncomfortable...
That probably means that it's spot on, anon. As pessimistic as that may be.
>>
>>17534769
>Thinking about the underlying base premise of Devilman
And what would that be?
>>
>>17534701
ill keep knowing it.
>>
>>17527141
Thanks. I love Lady, but I'd never read that one. Really enjoyed it.
>>
>>17534799
Good for you. And now stop shitting up another thread, please. You're giving all Crybabyfags a bad name.
>>
>>17534769
>the end is nigh, you can be a wuss and die soon or be totally fucking badass cool and merge with demons and overpower them through strength of will and love and stuff and die later
yeah I can see why you would be uncomfortable
>>
I actually like Crybaby's art, although the animation definitely has its ups and downs.
I enjoyed a fair bit of it, but some choices really dragged it down for me. Miki being so generically really reduced the impact of her death for me. It feels like she got rewritten into an anime-female-martyr archetype that's already been done to death in a million other shows and she's way less memorable as a result.
The scene of people reacting to Miki's social media post is one of the cringiest things I've seen in years and so saccharine that it's probably sending henchmen to rob Tintin as I speak. Having something so trite be such a big moment close to the finale really hurts the ending as a whole.
I'm also not a big fan of what Crybaby does with Sirene, although I kind of get why they did it, because Crybaby really wants to highlight sex as a driving force. Still, she stands out much less as a result.

My favorite Devilman things are probably the original manga and Lady. I thought the OAVs were going in the right direction, but it's impossible to say how well they would have handled later parts since they never finished.
I have a soft spot for Amon, but a lot of that is for goofy shit like Amon punching Satan so hard that Satan spontaneously grows tits and sees the future while tossing Atlantis out of orbit to kill the dinosaurs (God's chosen people).
The manga remake of Maou Dante is one of my favorite Nagai works period, although it's only loosely tied to Devilman.
>>
I can't believe the Netlfix subtitles (in both English and Japanese) for Crybaby fucked up and revealed Ryo being Satan way before you're supposed to find out.
Did they ever fix that?
>>
>>17534175
>I don't consider that pedobait.
then you're a idiot.

>but the history of literature and film is full of sexual descriptions or depictions, some of them involving minors, that are not primarily about getting anyone aroused.
Don't try to sound smart dumbass, it doesn't suit a guy who doesn't even know what he's reading. Earlier Devilman manga like Lady had nude depictions of children, but it was never seen in a positive light or deliberately sexualised till Grimoire, you disingenuous fuck.

>Well, sorry, but most people seem to disagree with you, not only me
Lmao no, they really fucking dont.
>>
>>17534813
>implying i'm shitting on you because of Crybaby
You are so fucking spineless Jesus, fuck all to do with Crybaby and it never got brought up.

Enough with this autistic as fuck no true scotsman bullshit.
>>
>>17534836
My favorite things Crybaby did was make Akira more at odds with his demon half and try to make him and Miki feel a bit more intimate. Also I liked its use of lust as a main theme to represent the demons.
>>
>>17535544
>but it was never seen in a positive light or deliberately sexualised till Grimoire
How is it "seen in a postive light" in Grimoire?
Sounds more like you're forcing a narrative here.
>>
>>17513162
God I hate yuasa
>>
>>17535842
>God I hate yuasa
I don't think personal hate is justified.
Yes, he brought much unrest to the fandom and lots of trolls to Nagai threads, but I'm sure that wasn't his intention.
I do fundamentally disagree with his creative decisions, find his approach disrespectful, think he's generally overrated and his work mostly lazy ugly hipster-bait.
But that doesn't mean there's any reason to hate him as a person.
>>
>>17513162
With gay sex
>>
I'm glad Crybaby was made because it made people more aware of Devilman in general, but I do have to admit that literally everything Yuasa did was ultimately for the worse and the only good bits of Crybaby are pieces of the original manga which somehow managed to survive Yuasa's tampering.
>>
>>17535971
>it made people more aware of Devilman in general
But was that really a good thing? Initially, I had assumed that getting new people into the franchise could only be a good thing, but looking at what kind of people it brought, many of them trolling Nagai threads and hating on Nagai himself and his fans, I do wish it had stayed more obscure.
>>
>>17536010
Yeah it's a good thing. Sure there are a lot of idiots, but ultimately there are more people aware of Devilman's legacy than ever and there are definitely more fans now, even with all the shitters.
>>
>>17534529
I'm not gonna take you seriously when you attribute things you don't like to "hipsters" like your 17 years old
>>
>>17536031
>when you attribute things you don't like to "hipsters"
Stop denying that Yuasa is exactly what "hipsters" go for. His work is the definition of pretentiousness, where the only argument in favour of the ugly artstyle is "You don't get it".
Thinking that being different makes it good by default is a "hipster thing".
>>
>>17515985
How fucking dare you
>>
>>17536137
>dare you
dare da?
are wa dare da?
>>
>>17536157
A history professor in Kanazawa once insisted on getting my whole class drunk and then started singing the Devilman theme.
>>
>>17536040
What's wrong with Yuasa's work in anything except Crybaby?
Tatami Galaxy's look and presentation felt appropriate to the book it was based on.
Kick-Heart, Kaiba and Ping Pong all have presentation appropriate to their subject matter and wouldn't benefit from looking more like other anime.
The episode of Space Dandy he did was solid.
The only other thing of his I could see calling "ugly" is Kemonozume, which again feels like a good match for its ugly, disjointed plot (whether the plot being ugly and disjointed is a good thing is, of course, another matter entirely).

If anything, I'd complain that Crybaby has less distinctive and cohesive aesthetics than a lot of his other work.
>>
>>17536157
DARE DA
DARE DA
DARE DAAA
SORA NO KANATA NI ODORU KAGE
SHIROI TSUBASA NO
GATCHAMA-

Oh sorry, wrong song
>>
>>17536157
>>17536192
I like Denki Groove

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DgSZKBavEKE
>>
>>17536187
>Tatami Galaxy's look and presentation felt appropriate to the book it was based on.
I agree: It did fir Tatami Galaxy the best and didn't irk me as much there. Still not what I'd call a good-looking or visually impressive anime.

>Kick-Heart, Kaiba and Ping Pong
Haven't seen the first, but for the other two I do think that a bit of shading and more traditional, less stilted animation, would have done wonders, especially Ping Pong.

>The only other thing of his I could see calling "ugly" is Kemonozume
Haven't seen that one either. But from what I've seen it looks like a typical Yuasa, just a bit less saturated than usual. Less flashy and lower contrast.

>If anything, I'd complain that Crybaby has less distinctive and cohesive aesthetics than a lot of his other work.
Maybe. But unlike Tatami Galaxy, you can't say that his style fit the work or Nagai's original style in any way. At best he's a one-trick-pony who's unable to sufficiently adapt to what he's working on. At worst he has a very unflattering style that sometimes happens to work.
>>
>>17536223
I definitely agree that Yuasa's art doesn't mesh with Nagai's aesthetics at all. And Crybaby's art has enough of Nagai's designs in it that the clash becomes noticeable.

Kaiba I think was going for a 60s Tezuka/Mushi Productions look, and I think it evokes that aesthetic fairly well.
Ping Pong I just really enjoyed the look of, although I'd probably have to watch it again to say why more clearly. I think it uses a fair bit of rotoscoping, which I know is divisive in terms of how movements look.
I'm not sure more shading would have done much for either, honestly. (Although I generally think most current anime could use more.)
>>
>>17536157
Are wa debiru Debiruman Debiruman
>>
File: Spoiler Image (64 KB, 242x478)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>17513162
Like this.
>>
>>17538143
>promoting
No one is promoting anything. Seems you're the stupid (and very judgemental) cunt here. And, no, depictions of something don't equate to approving of it. You talk like a tumblrite.
>>
>>17536187
he hasn't actually seen it, he just calls it shit to suit his narrative

unrelated, but it was pretty cool seeing how Yuusa used some scenes from the Devilman manga in Kemonozume
>>
>>17538155
Fuck off, troll.
>>
File: 1509517726511.jpg (85 KB, 444x446)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>17513162
eating babies
>>
I don't believe any of you, you just don't like it because Normies like it 4chan is painfully predictable now
>>
>>17538306
>responding to a namefag
>>
>>17538328
You are right, I was putting too much faith in him. It's one of my biggest flaws: I believe in people's sincerity far too easily.
But I think after this display of his I can safely ignore him from now on.
>>
>>17538325
>putting in their fap fantasies in Devilman
Motherfucker, have you even READ Devilman? Fap Fantasies up the ass. So, fuck off with your puritan shit.
>>
>>17515411
For you
>>
Devilman threads really went to shit after Crybaby.
>>
>>17538474
Tell me about it.
>>
File: Devilman Hiruta.jpg (55 KB, 281x479)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
So ignoring the pissing war down there...apparently there's 2 other Devilman manga. One's based on the anime but with a different origin (Akira getting killed by Devilman instead of his anime origin)
>>
>>17538757
whats the worst devilman manga in your opinion then
>>
>>17538739
I don't know much about the more niche Devilman things, but the one youre picture is from can be found (as a raw) in the Nagai MEGA archive:

>https://mega.nz/#F!wCQHgRQQ!MV4oAjL83GymIOGK4J7BvQ!NKIGRA7K

under the filename
>(一般コミック) [永井豪・蛭田充] デビルマン 冒険王版

Your pic does imply that it was translated though. So that must be out there as well.
Maybe you'll find the second "other" manga in that archive as well.
>>
>>17538757
You know where a guy can find Devilman Battler or Toshin Devilman? The art for Toshin looks damn good. Kinda reminds me of the Megaman mangas.
>>
>>17538766
it might be a cop out but probably Neo, but even the weakest stories in that have some merit.

if not that, then the 009 crossover manga because it feels overly long and kinda dull till the end, but again has pluses, like giving Zann a actual role for once instead of standing in the background.
>>
>>17538770
Thanks for the link anyways, chief.
>>
>>17538776
The crossover manga? What's that about? I mean, the OVA kinda ends with both series going to their finales..
>>
>>17538757
>i own this and you dont.jpg
I own that figure as well. Nice try "hurting" me, though. The more you talk the more I think you're one of those Tumblrites shitting up the Cutie Honey threads and just came here to stirr up some trouble as well.

>I prooved you wrong
Do you actually believe that, shithead?

>get the thread back to Devilman instead of you being wrong.
Funny, because you're the one who keeps throwing around buzzwords and accusing people of being pedophiles because they like a manga that doesn't comply with your Tumblr sensibilities.
>>
>>17538775
Toshin got raws online, check random raws. Its ok and very much a modern version of the tv anime, has a real odd Sirene design, looks all Saint Seiya like. Pretty sure the guy who made it did do some mega-man comics.

Battler though, its another thats apparently "lost", so much as in its just never been collected. Still, I've never seen a page of it only two single illustrations for the cover of the magazine it was in. Both manga get heavily referenced in Grimoire.
>>
>>17538808
Just ignore that shitposter. He's revealed his true motives already. (Once the trolls start their anti-tarantulafag-cruscade you know exactly where they are coming from, and incidently, there's always two of them that appear together.)

Let's talk about manga instead of calling people names or, worse, fetishes.
>>
>>17538822
Anyways...I'm a bit confused here. Is Devilman meant to be red, blue or flesh-colored?
>>
>>17538830
>Is Devilman meant to be red, blue or flesh-colored?
Yes.

Seriously though: Depends on the one you're reading/watching. Nagai himself has drawn him with wildly varying designs over the years. Mostly flesh or blue (or black and white). Red colour is highly circumstancial and only in more stylized scenes.
>>
>>17538830
Nagai doesnt give a shit
>>
>>17538830
>>17538845
Old school mangaka don't give a single fuck about consistent coloring. They do whatever feels good for whatever mood they're in.
>>
File: jesus and his stand.png (151 KB, 540x451)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>17513162
I loved Crybaby, the artstyle, the OST, and all of the action sequences. I loved the redesigns, and I love the accurate portrayals of biblical characters. I'm a devoted Christian and love Jesus and His Stand, God-sama; I think the portrayal of degeneracy, demons, and satan in this show were accurate and consistent with that of it in the bible.

I think the reason that people hate Crybaby is because everyone unanimously agreed that it's good, so it's just the true hipsters being contrarian as always. There's nothing wrong with loving multiple takes on good material. It's no different than people who hate Turn A Gundam but then praise G Gundam. There's nothing wrong with loving both.

This is my hot-take.

Unrelated but I think it'd be cool if someone made a Angel-Man series where instead Akira is infused with an Angel and hangs out with Jesus who doesn't know he's Jesus the whole show, and then shit hits the fan when Satan tries to take advantage of that fact. So basically an animated version of the new testament.
>>
>>17538854
The manga is far better and has much deeper Biblical connections. Go Nagai basically took the Old Testament, Gnosticism, The Divine Comedy, The Salem Witch Trials and made them sci-fi horror.
>>
>>17538854
See, this is the kind of shitpost I like. Creative!
Thanks, anon.
>>
Yeah I get sort of a money and the miles (and bitches) feel from what I see of Uncle Go.
He seems to give infinitely less shits about such things.
>>
>>17538867
>He seems to give infinitely less shits about such things.
I wouldn't put it like that. He just seems to care more about making individual pics look good than about consistent designs. He also did develop his style over the years, so the Devilman things he drew in this Millenium look very different from the original Devilman design anyway.
>>
>>17538873
fair enough
>>
>>17538862
I’m goddamn unironically not fucking around. I’m being serious. Debate me BITCH
>>
>>17538857
Which is awesome. But I think Crybaby is also awesome. At the very least, people who liked Crybaby may delve deeper and check out the other DM content. I don’t get why we can’t love all content for what it is and tries to bring to the table, especially when it’s isolated and doesn’t modify the core lore.
>>
>>17539109
>I don’t get why we can’t love all content for what it is and tries to bring to the table, especially when it’s isolated and doesn’t modify the core lore.
We can. But we can also look at it and see that we don't like what it did. Or something inbetween. You can't just say that everyone has to love something no matter what it does: People have differing opinions.
And, yes, Crybaby doesn't destroy anything about Nagai's work, but it did bring it in disrepute when lots of people who like it started attacking the original manga, Nagai, and his other works. And that's not limited to Tumblr, Reddit and the many trolls we have on 4chan since Crybaby came out. "Professional" reviewers did the very same thing and made hating Nagai a popular thing among the kiddies that they influence.

Little reminder that those people criticized Cutie Honey Universe for the sole reason of it being close to the manga and not like Re:CH. Once the next (authentic) Devilman anime comes out, they will do the same thing here, but it will be much worse, because they rated Crybaby even more than Re:CH.
Crybaby did a lot of damage, not to the franchise itself, but to its reception and its fans. That's why I can't just ignore it.
>>
>>17539498
I see your point. It's fine if folks who liked Crybaby and then go down the Nagai hole to experience the other Devilman stuff but it's crap when they shat on the original because it's not Crybaby.
>>
File: DevilmanCameo.jpg (180 KB, 700x984)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
This may not be the best place to ask, but I read the first devilman a few months back and really liked it. but I could never figure out who this cameo was supposed to be, it must have been something Nagai liked, since its (to my knowledge) the only cameo in the original manga, and it's used as a one-panel gag.
>>
File: DevilmanZakud.jpg (81 KB, 800x513)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>
>>17513162
I despise the designs in Crybaby
>>
>>17514868
Except I enjoyed the OVAs a lot.
>>
>>17515451
>/m/ hates kotm

Source: Trust me bro
>>
File: 019.png (457 KB, 640x944)
457 KB
457 KB PNG
I really didn't care for the anime original stuff that got shoved into crybaby, I just felt it wasn't really needed. The old OVAs changed things up, but I found it just added to the original while not taking away from it. Also personally I found crybaby just really lacking on the gore but again, I'm comparing it more to the goryfest of the OVAs. I also can't stand what happened to Ryo.

>>17538854
I'm just going to respond seriously even it this might just be shitpost. I'm glad that you at least enjoyed crybaby as much as you did but I found it a frustrating experience.
Honestly, I think crybaby is okay by itself but it isn't a good adaption of the manga to me with how many things got changed. I'll agree that the ost is good but that art change just doesn't do it for me. If it gets people into devilman fine I guess, but it will always be my least favourite adaption and I'll always recommend either the original manga or OVAs over it. My angry and disappointment have cold over time but it still upsets me that crybaby will probably be the only full adaption we' ll get. At most, I hope it may get some of his other works adapted but I highly doubt that. I would kill for a Guerrilla High anime or hell even the manga getting an english release.
I also don't get the comparison to Turn A and G Gundam because they are not different adaptions of the same work. It would work more for something like 0079 series vs. the movie compilation. Same work is being adapted but in different ways.
>>
>>17527141
Thanks for posting senpai. Is the Devilman Lady anime worth watching?
>>
>>17539975
>Is the Devilman Lady anime worth watching?
Not the guy you're replying to, but: It depends on your taste. I found it worthwhile, as did many others.
But the only way to ever find out whether you'll like an anime (any arnime, really) is by watching it yourself. Don't let others dictate what you should or should not like.
>>
File: DevilmanKillem.jpg (204 KB, 700x1074)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>
>>17540451
>Kill all the malcontents!
I agree. Kill MAL and all content on it. Might get rid of some of the trolls that come here.
>>
>>17540509
>everyone that has a different opinion is a troll!!!
like a broken fucking record
>>
>>17541251
You're overreacting to a pun, retard.
>>
>>17539498
>>17539498
>people criticized Cutie Honey Universe for the sole reason of it being close to the manga
>sole reason
that's not even close to being fair
>>
>>17541267
>that's not even close to being fair
But it's a fact. Many people brought forward exclusively elements that Universe shares with the manga when criticising it. And blamed it for not being Re: Cutie Honey.
If you need an example for that exact thing, look up the review for it on that "Anime Feminist" site. Or scroll through some old threads on this board.

Yes, there were other "criticisms" as well. But, funnily enough, the "critics" can't even find a common ground. Some found the animation bad, others said that the animation was the only good thing about it. Some found it too flashy, others not flashy enough.
And of course, there was the obsessive whining about missing nipples ... when some others called it too sexualized.

But, yes, there were countless critics who only argued that it was too much like the manga, at the same time arguing that the manga was bad. Deny that all you want, it is true.
>>
>>17541251
>He said "troll".
>He sure must mean me!
Interesting that you'd make that connection when no one even implied that.
>>
>>17541291
Interesting you that I saying that when I was just calling you out on your overuse of troll all the fucking time.

You really didn't need to respond twice you fragile boy, lmao
>>
File: IMG_0653.jpg (6 KB, 211x239)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>17541290

>But it's a fact. Many people brought forward exclusively elements that Universe shares with the manga when criticising it. And blamed it for not being Re: Cutie Honey.
If you need an example for that exact thing, look up the review for it on that "Anime Feminist" site. Or scroll through some old threads on this board.

>Yes, there were other "criticisms" as well. But, funnily enough, the "critics" can't even find a common ground. Some found the animation bad, others said that the animation was the only good thing about it. Some found it too flashy, others not flashy enough.
And of course, there was the obsessive whining about missing nipples ... when some others called it too sexualized.

>But, yes, there were countless critics who only argued that it was too much like the manga, at the same time arguing that the manga was bad. Deny that all you want, it is true.
>>
>>17541291
>>17541259
>pedophile calling others retarded
>>
See, everyone, this is what how Nagai-hating Yuasafags operate. I guess that settles it once and for all.
>>
>>17539107
Why not have Akira merge with Ryo instead? Might bring some new stuff to the table considering now Ryo has some explaining to do.
>>
>>17541605
I love nagai you disingenuous manchild, can damn well bet i know a fuck ton more than you too
>>
>>17541766
>I love nagai you disingenuous manchild
Why are you destroying Nagai threads then? Calling multiple people (me and at least one other, but probably more than that) "pedophiles" for no reason whatsoever?
Spamming literal trollposts like >>17541598 ?

>can damn well bet i know a fuck ton more than you too
Oh, it's you again! Of course it is. You use that ridiculous argument all the time (as if it mattered) and then fail to back it up. Aren't you the very same guy who confessed to disliking the Cutie Honey manga because it had "boring fights"? And who embarrased himself because he thought that Animal Kedaman was released after Cutie Honey, was too full of himself to look it up before trying to shame others with your "superior knowledge", and then was too proud to admit to having been wrong when you were shown the evidence to the contrary in black and white?

You really hold grudges for a long time, mate. I've offered you peace multiple times, but you can't get over the fact that you got beaten in an argument. You should work on that, it's unhealthy. Really. I worry about you.

If you are a Nagai fan, and if you really care about the quality of these threads, how about we smoke a peace pipe? I have no interest in carrying on that shitflining contest, and neither should you. Neither of us has anything to prove. What do you say?
>>
>>17513162
Let’s sum up this thread.

>Some people dislike the show (Like me)
>Some people like the show
>People on both sides can’t fathom someone having a different opinion than them, so they make up claims to justify an opinion

There. Now we’re up to speed.
>>
>>17541290
>look up the review for it on that "Anime Feminist" site
no, thanks
>>
>>17541837
Yeah, I didn't want to imply that it's worth the read. It isn't.
But I have read it (and regretted reading it), and it is the perfect example of this type of dishonest and politically motivated review. Lots of mormative statements ("This should be this and that way in 2018!"), many claims of misogyny, underhanded attacks on Nagai.

You know, I'm not saying that Universe was perfect. I've criticised its pacing problems, for example. But all those "professional" online reviewers can't review objectively at all and always consider their own preconceived notions more than technical aspects or storytelling. Sadly, they seem to have next to no knowledge of wirting or filmmaking either. And that is worrying, because many of their readers seem to trust their uninformed opinions.
>>
>>17541797
Heh, you are not wrong. I'm certainly guilty of that myself every now and then. I just wish we could keep those debates more respectful.

The ugly accusations that got thrown around after that awful Devilman Grimoir debate with that namefag, especially that one aggressive guy (with a grudge) chiming in and accusing me of pedophilia for making harmless non-erotic fanart ... well, those accusations definitely go too far. And while I can deal with that shit, those trolls don't even know when they're talking to me and when they're spewing that same shit at other posters. Look how much this shitposting has derailed the thread.

So, while I think you're spot on with what you're saying, that isn't what ultimately ruined the thread. That took much greater effort by dedicated trolls. And, honestly, I don't know how we can deal with that, because even if I try to ignore them, someone else won't. And even if everyone ignores them, they'll just butt into some discussion and start derailing from there.
>>
God what an awful thread this was. At least I managed to get more Devilman Lady discussion out of it than in the entirety of 2018. And I haven't seen a Devilman thread hit bump limit in a long while (even if it wasn't the way I wanted it to be), so that's nice.
>>
>>17541921
>At least I managed to get more Devilman Lady discussion out of it than in the entirety of 2018.
I feel you, anon. I'd love a more specific discussion about certain things, without any personal attacks and people feeling that their opinion is the objective undisputable truth.
Hey, maybe we can have a dedicated Devilman Lady thread some day soon. That might even solve the problems we have in more general threads like this one.

I promise to keep an eye out for a Devilman Lady thread in case you want to make one!
>>
>>17541921
I at least tried to talk about other incarcerations such as the 1972 anime and actually got some decent discussion about it before the thread went off its wheels again. Oh well on the bright side it wasn't deleted like the other threads as you stated before.
>>
A really sad state of affairs. Not much we can do about the trolls that plague these threads. That's what Crybaby caused. Stupid tumblrites. Stupid namefags. The worst is that some claim to be Nagai fans. What a disgrace.
Hope the next thread will be better. See you, guys.
>>
>>17544179
Crybaby was a normalfag Netflix Original and chill meme show, it's already forgotten by those types.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.