[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1554915742767.jpg (259 KB, 1200x1472)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Can someone recommend me some /m/ to watch? Off the top of my head I've seen and liked 0079, The Origin, G Gundam, Thunderbolt, GBF, G Reco, Big O, TTGL, NGE, Gargantia, Gunbuster and just finished up Sidonia. I've seen and didn't like IBO, GBF Try, Build Divers, DitF and Knight's & Magic.

What I really want is something I can just turn on after work, watch a couple episodes and chill out. Something that takes itself more seriously than GBF or G Gundam without being grimdark. And preferably something that will take me awhile to get all the way through. Any ideas?
>>
What's DitF?
Anyways, the original SDF Macross is a good series.
>>
>>17470586
I'm guessing he means Darling in the Franxx.
A few recs:
Gun X Sword
Patlabor
Armored Trooper Votoms
>>
>>17470547
G Gundam takes itself very seriously though. Which is why it's so amusing.

Speaking of, Danball Senki looks like GBF at first, and then by the end of like episode 6, a bunch of ten years olds have thwarted a plot to assassinate the Prime Minister. It needs more love
>>
>>17470547
Patlabor and Macross?
Battleship Yamato?
Zeta Gundam? Unicorn, Victory and Turn A? All the OYW OVAs?
>>
File: Mazinger_Z.png (1.29 MB, 740x1307)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
OG Mazinger Z
There's a DVD available. If you pick up a torrent, get the DVD rips and not the Xpearse ones.

Downsides are the old animation and periodic QUALITY
Upsides are that it's fun, fulfills your length requirements at ~90 episodes, takes itself seriously enough to be enjoyable but can still be goofy both intentionally and unintentionally, and is pretty nice overall.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (407 KB, 720x542)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
Bonus: watch long enough and you also get to see the single greatest robot of all time
>>
File: 1557764494695.jpg (59 KB, 960x720)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>17470547
Real /m/en watch Ideon.
>>
>I literally forgot about Ideon
Listen to this /m/an >>17470733 and his dubs. Watch Ideon.
>>
File: 1504555580804.jpg (56 KB, 960x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>17470733
Thirding
>>
>>17470547
Dougram

Its a good grounded war drama with lots of interesting economic and political machinations added in and a compelling father vs son conflict at its core, but it isn't that grimdark. The plot moves slowly though and some episodes just feel like some random military skirmish with not much going on in terms of big picture relevance, but it remains engaging for all 75 episodes despite that.
>>
>>17470547
What's the source on that pic, OP; I like it's style
>>
>>17470547
Make sure to watch the second season of Thunderbolt if you haven't already.

For very noncommittal viewings you have Dragon's Heaven, Gundam F91 (which you should be able to enjoy given that you've already seen the original), off the top of my head.

A couple /m/ shows I like to shill here since they are less known but bredy fugin gud are Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar and Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i.

If you hate Knight's & Magic but want to see a version of that pseudo medieval aesthetic that might better suit your taste, you can try Break Blade's OVA.

For that relaxing, post work chill you can consume semi regularly there's Gundam X, which is fairly serious while still being extremely uplifting and comfy sometimes despite being about a post-apocalyptic world.

I would also suggest Gundam SEED actually, it's not the most intelligent writing but it's a very exciting trip. If you decide you hate it that's okay because it gives you enough background that you can and should definitely go on to watch CE 73 Stargazer, which is an OVA that happens concurrently with the sequel, SEED Destiny.
You probably shouldn't watch Destiny for more than a couple episodes (for additional background on Stargazer) unless you want to get really mad.
>>
File: watch gaiking.gif (997 KB, 450x338)
997 KB
997 KB GIF
>>
OP here, I really appreciate everyone's replies. I think I'd like to dig into Patlabor next, but I'm not sure how to watch it. I'd like to avoid piracy if possible, because I'm on thin ice with my ISP.

If you still have other suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm generally not really into super robot stuff like Getter and was hoping to watch something a little newer (ie after 2000 or even 2010) anyway. I'm kind of kicking myself for watching Sidonia, unaware that it doesn't have a proper ending, because it left me wanting more. But, I once had a dream that I became a millionaire by selling a VHS copy of Patlabor 2 that I found at a flea market, so I may as well start with that for now.
>>
If you want to get depressed watch Bokurano

If you want to get happier watch Gurren Lagann
>>
>>17471347
>If you want to be retarded watch Gurren Lagann
fix that for you
>>
>>17470763
When does this pick up? I'm 6 episodes in
>>
>>17471642
The next 3-5 episodes pull the trigger on the main plotline, but it is a really slow moving show. If you can't handle that then I doubt going through all of it will be worth it to you.
>>
If you haven't seen it yet, I have to recommend watching Giant Robo: the Day the Earth Stood Still. Especially if you enjoyed G Gundam. They share a director and several plot themes and crazy wuxia action.
>>
>>17471347
>If you want to get groan and watch malicious idiots get what they deserve Bokurano
Fixed
>>
File: laughing mazingers.jpg (107 KB, 960x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>17470698
Yeah, get the standard def and not the blu ray one. Makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>17470547
The Aquarion trilogy, Gravion, Godannar, Gun X Sword, Acrobunch, Jushin Liger, Raijin-Oh, Ryu Knight, Dougram, VOTOMS, Giant Gorg, Neo Rnaga, Nobunaga The Fool, Unit Pandora, Shin Mazinger Z, and New Getter Robo. Alright that should get you ready.
>>
>>17472292
Given xpearse's highly questionable encoding and subbing decisions, yes.
>>
>>17472292
>>17472655
xpearse used the Spanish BDs, which are upscales
the new JP BDs were recently uploaded, but no one has bothered timing the subs for the eps yet
https://nyaa.si/view/1137677
>>
If you liked 0079, Origin, and Thunderbolt, you should work your way through the rest of UC, or at the very least Zeta through CCA
>>
>>17472604
Good list, definitely atypical.
>>
>>17470959
www.instagram.com/momopich/
>>
>>17472655
And this is all based on what? Your opinion?

>>17472861
How's the video quality? Was the JP release also an upscale? Although, the Spanish one did look better than the DVDs.
>>
Eww. This is probably just from the encode since I doubt they put a giant de-grain/smudge filter over the entire thing. I don't think anybody will want this to be subbed.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.