[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hey fellow /m/en
Never seen robotech but I have this collection which order do I watch it in and is it better than gundam?
>>
Robotech takes place after Turn A, have you seen that yet? You can't really appreciate the beauty of Robotech without watching most of Gundam and Chargeman Ken.
>>
>>17470486
What? How? No way
I made it to victory gundam then got these n decided to check it out but I sincerely doubt that
>>
AND
>>
File: Updated.jpg (397 KB, 1744x1490)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>17470495
Here it is right here man. There is an updated one showing how Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, and Build Fighters series all connect in too.
>>
>>17470475
Wow that's quite the collection, start with Shadow Chronicles and work backwards from there. If you are watching the Macross saga last then that you are doing it right. You may want to pick up the Megazone 23 collection to fill in some gaps oh and don't forget to buy the new Robotech comics that are available in your local comics store TODAY!
>>
>>17470670
That literally just shit on everything I thought I knew about gundam.
Thank you
>butfuckyou
But seriously thank you
>>17470741
Also super helpful! I’ve seen a few episodes but it’s not too late for me to change the order, I just went with the oldest looking one. Still better than victory gundam
>>
File: srw story flowchart.png (2.21 MB, 1541x1600)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB PNG
>>17470670
>>17470495
That's not all, Robotech is actually a culmination of multiple series like Avengers, so when you reach chapter 12 of Robotech: The Macross Saga keep in mind that it's a direct sequel to SRW OG
>>
>>17470670
I mean I’ve seen a fair amount of gundam, being mid twenties of course I’ve seen the obligatory wing and Gfighter series and made good progress in the old UC but with so many smaller details it feels contradicting that they’d all end up at robotech?
>assuming that’s the claim.
I wanna believe but I guess I just havnt seen enough.
I have foreshamed my fellow /m/en and watched sailor moon in my absence of mecha
>>
Robotech is garbage, Macross is the proper version. Asking if it's better than Gundam is an odd question because of course it is, but because gundam is so bad it's easy to be better
>>
>>17470475
>Hey fellow /m/en
>Never seen robotech but I have this collection which order do I watch it in and is it better than gundam?

Forget Roboshit. Watch the 3 unrelated Japanese original series from which the american show was stched together. That is watch :

Macross
Southern Cross
Genesis Climber Mospeada

Then since neither Southern Cross or Mospeada have had any kind of sequels in Japan, just watch if you desire the rest of the Macross franchise (Macross 7, Macross Frontier, God Help You Macross Delta, Macross Zero, Macross Plus and Macross Do You Remember Love).

As for Gundam it's kind of a different franchise from the Macross one. One has airplanes and idols, the other has autistic characters, esoterism and giant robots doing strange shit. Both franchises have good and bad entries.
>>
File: robotechlol.jpg (229 KB, 957x929)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
I can't even laugh at the robotech fandom anymore, now I pity them
>>
>>17471629
What the hell.
>>
File: wenotlaughing.jpg (295 KB, 1283x945)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>17471631
The robotech site for cool kids is even more dead.
>>
>>17471582
the robotech versions of southern cross and mospeada are better than the originals
>>
>>17471629
AND WE
>>
>>17470636
WE
>>
>>17472094
True
>>
Oh my.
>>
>>17472938
AT
>>
File: Ha.jpg (156 KB, 734x452)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>17472973
Oh wow that's beautiful
>>
File: haman.gif (1.49 MB, 346x261)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>17472973
>that cut off at the bottom of their legs
>>
File: robotech titans.jpg (332 KB, 1000x1352)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>17473362
>>17473366
The art in this comic is something special, even by Robotech standards.
>>
File: Quality.png (2.06 MB, 1223x896)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB PNG
>>17473617
Ain't it, though?
When they're not tracing already existing material, they're copying and pasting previous images and duplicating them all over the page, even reusing the exact same facials or bodies in previous panels. They were even so ballsy as to trace the blueprint design of the Factory Satellite from Macross VF-X2 as Dozle's main fortress, then they doubled back and traced the original fortress instead on the very next issue as if realizing they had no real ownership to us it.

Hell, in one of the recap pages on one of the comics they actually forgot what really happened in the previous book and wrote up a bunch of trippy shit about Miriya unleashing Invid from a time vortex. Zero fucks given.
>>
File: jelly.png (552 KB, 984x762)
552 KB
552 KB PNG
>Southern Cross/Mospeada DVD set
very nice
>>
File: Spoiler Image (169 KB, 707x1080)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>17473786
>Dozle and not Dolza
Damn, its late.

At any rate, not to worry, for you see this comic has a special weapon that's 'sure' to turn this whole shitshow around; a long neglected character in the franchise's lore.
>>
>>17473799
i dont know shit bout robotech, who is this?
>>
>>17473806
yeah even if you watch robotech many these characters don't look anything like their normal designs
>>
>>17473806
>>17474046
>>17473806
>>17474046
Its Dana Sterling (Jeane Francaix) from the Southern Cross portion of the series. She's actually one of the least liked characters in the whole franchise with a very small cult following.

According to the current comic, she was in a separate craft that fell from the SDF-1 when it first crashed to Earth. When a salvage team found her she was encased in a stasis tube, leaving the military to believe she was so important, or so dangerous, she had to be separated from the main crew. So I guess she's being built up at Robotech very own Captain Marvel.
>>
>>17474194
>with a very small cult following.
so given the Robotech fanbase size that's what, three guys?
>>
File: Breetai Color.jpg (331 KB, 974x1539)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>>17474194
So wait she's not Max and Miriya's kid anymore?
>>
>>17474199
Like the rest of the second arc of Robotech? Pretty much. Honestly, I don't even know why these fans are still around since Harmony Gold has demonstrated they give zero shits about them with very minor lip service. The only bone they've been getting lately is a shitty card game from a tabletop game publisher nobody's heard of along with two character drops in the comic: Dana and Nova Satori's mom or something?

Regardless, they pretty much skipped the Southern Cross arc of the series and very much imply that it barely exists within the current timeframe, period. In fact, thanks to Lazlo Zand (hoaky character from the novels) time portal and the Invid Regess mucking about with time travel, they appear to just have plucked her from another plain of alternate universe altogether.

Speaking of: Its Regess Patrol! They're coming to skull fuck your realities!
>>
>>17474239
at the end of Gundam Unicorn 4:1 The Movie Finalling U Can See The Time we find out it wasn't the Ide all along but was actually Protoculture energy
>>
>>17474232
Kinda?

Like I mentioned here>>17474239 time travel/world warping is very much a thing in this comic as it was in the Robotech novels, especially since Carl Macek wrote that the whole timeline is a massive loop that ends with the SDF-3, piloted by Rick Hunt and the other surviving oldy cast, being sent back intime as the SDF-1 that crashed on Earth to restart the story all over again. So either Dana is still Max and Miriya's child or they picked her up from an alternate reality.
>>
>>17470475
I still find it funny how both macross and robotech have Max’s daughter as the main female lead.
>>
>>17474292
there's a few odd coincidences between Robotech and where Kawamori took Macross, like the brain control shit they made up for the novels predates the thing from Macross Plus, but obviously neither invented "dude brain control amirite"
>>
File: MDC Drums and Keys.jpg (416 KB, 1215x779)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>17474305
Yeah, even weirder is Palladium going towards the "music as weapons" that later Macross did.
>>
File: Rock and Roll MDC.jpg (408 KB, 1214x783)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
>>17474890
>>
The only Robotech things worth bothering with are the McKinney novels if you want Macross filtered through pulpy 80s sci-fi novel writing and the Battlecry game.
>>
>>17473018
ROBOTECHX.COM
>>
>>17474952
ALL
>>
>>17474975
LAUGHING
>>
File: Fam_OneWayOut.png (261 KB, 734x604)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>17473799
>>17474194
>>17474239
>>17474246
>Protoculture 'shapings' are back
>Novel art design of the SDF-3
>Dana is a secret Newtype weapon
>Everyone is now breaking time barriers and crossing over to different time periods with the 'End of the Circle' story taking charge

Holy shit! Tommy Yune really wasn't fucking around when he openely declared all Robotech content from the series, books, and novels were all canon to one another. They really went through with this.

How even?!
>>
Robotech alone is proof that the US copyright and IP Laws needs to change because holy fuck.

>>17473799
>Simon Furman
Suddenly it all makes sense now.
>>
>>17475725
Desperate men trying to keep this corpse alive in any way shape or form they can and squeeze out any money left until 2021.

Does HG even do anything else nowadays?
>>
>>17476703
>>Does HG even do anything else nowadays?
They are a real estate company/mafia front, this anime dub thing was just a side gig for them.
>>
>>17471629
Doctor who? Huh besides that the fanbase really shrunk dramatically in the past few years.
>>
>>17476703
>>17476734
Here's a catalog of what they do. They also buy rights to super cheap shit, and various imports, and try to resell them with the price jacked all the way.

There's actually a funny story about Legend of Blue (AKA South Korean ripoff of Blue Submarine No. 6). Harmony Gold actually tried to push that show several years back as an all-new show they were dubbing. They even dug up their entire available RT voice cast to do it and were treating it as some sort of big deal, even showcasing it at cons. Then, as if with a sudden realization that what they're were peddling was actually complete unwatchable garbage, they just abandoned it and haven't said a word about it since. Needless to say, even their core audience were absolutely confused on what they were watching. There was even a video somebody posted with some hilarious reactions to a scene they were watching of it, but it looks like it no longer exists.
>>
>>17476972
Shit, forgot my link
http://harmonygold.com/catalog/
>>
>>17471414
Surprised this clusterfuck has no mention of Gilliam Yeager and how the one in OG is the very same individual as the one in Hero Senki
>>
>>17476694
>Robotech alone is proof that the US copyright and IP Laws needs to change
US IP law has changed drastically since the 80's.
>>
>>17476694
>Robotech alone is proof that the US copyright and IP Laws needs to change
unless you make a law of "Tatsunoko (or whoever the fuck it was) can't sign shitty deals with real estate firms that have shady connections" there's not much to do about it
Macross was enough of a clusterfuck even in Japan ownershipwise that it went to the courts a while back over there
but it'll be hard to get your senator on board "The Protect Japanese Businessmen From Signing Stupid Agreements" act, and HG's trademark crap goes back to Japan not knowing what the fuck they were doing to begin with
>>
>>17471629
>all robotech fans are leftwing SJWs
>"hurr durr amerifat jews"

Way to project.

>>17472094
>>17472972
>the robotech versions of macross, southern cross, and mospeada are better than the originals

Whatever (You) say.

>>17474199
>>17474239
>if you like robotech you have to absolutely agree lockstep with HG

Can you people do anything other than project? It's called appreciating past experiences and memories. If you enjoyed anything in your life, you would understand.

>>17476694
>muh zog conspiracy

That's why you edgelord hypocrites should be shot.

>>17476734
HG is just as rotten as Disney but with fewer resources. Their overpriced real-estate should break off into the Pacific along with the rest of that god-forsaken state.

>>17476742
Every fanbase eventually shrinks or becomes less active, especially when having to deal with such clinically-psychotic haters and complainers on the internet.

The best way to preserve the past is to leave it the way it is. Carl Macek's creation should be preserved as a well-intentioned, and well-received, artifact of the early days of Japanese animation in the West. Those who grew up with it should be free to enjoy it as long as they exist, and those who didn't because they had the convenience of internet should leave well enough alone.
>>
File: Bob_Errortfw.png (93 KB, 215x162)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>17477858
>Way to project

Way to completely miss the joke. Its not so much the topics of the threads, its the fact that the forum itself is so inactive that most of the threads are all from the same dude,...in "parts",...with not even a page full of responses for each one. Robotech.com has always been notorious for how completely devoid of life it is.

>if you like robotech you have to absolutely agree lockstep with HG
>Can you people do anything other than project? It's called appreciating past experiences and memories. If you enjoyed anything in your life, you would understand.

Where the fuck did you even get any of this from? Its a well established fact that the Masters Saga is the least liked of the Robotech series and only has a 'very' minor group of fans that still appreciate it. I have nothing against any of them whatsoever. I just don't understand why they still hang around a franchise run by a company that gives zero shits about them. They always, 'always', complain about not getting enough product or character appreciation with their series year-after-year and the most they get is a couple of scrap merch like coffee mugs, wall scrolls, and office supplies while the rest of the series gets character figurines, models, and mech figures. Its just a glutton for punishment every single time.

>Every fanbase eventually shrinks or becomes less active, especially when having to deal with such clinically-psychotic haters and complainers on the internet.

The Robotech fanbase is not inactive because people are bitching about Macross blu rays not arriving on Western shores or trolling purists, its because Harmony Gold is running it into the ground with absolutely NOTHING going for it. Every single animated project has either failed or is doomed to indefinite hiatus, the live action movie is going nowhere, the merch is a bunch of broken overpriced trash, and the current comic is practically a joke amongst the community. There's nothing to talk about!
>>
The persecution complex robotechfags have concerning macrossfags is hilarious
>>
>>17477858
>Every fanbase eventually shrinks or becomes less active
Is that how you rationalize the state of the fanbase right now? Not years of failed projects and delayed promises, just "being less active"
>>
>>17478090
I'm not even convinced Robotechfags on /m/ are real. They're probably just shitposters looking for (you)'s.
>>
File: All Laughing.jpg (256 KB, 1000x1549)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>17478872
There are a few. They mostly show up when there is genuine news, good or bad about the franchise. Right now there is nothing going on so they hide in their little enclaves whispering about the live action movie like it is some coming messiah.
>>
>>17479801
Didn't know Exedore worked for IGN.
>>
>>17479839
>besmirching the good name of PROTOCULTURE BLOWJOB WOOO WOOO
>>
File: 662070._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg (559 KB, 1280x1942)
559 KB
559 KB JPG
>>17474194
>>17474232
>>17474239
As someone who's read these shitty comics up to this point (and no, I didn't pay for a thing, calm down), I really don't see how Dana can still be Max and Miriya's child because the two never got together anywhere in these books. There's no chemistry at all with either of them and they spent what little screentime they had trying to kill one another. Sure, Max flirted with her a little during combat, but he never reapproached her with it. Miriya just sees him as an obstacle, not even as an adversary because she kicked his ass last they met. He's nothing to her. So if anything, this Dana really is probably something that was snatched out of the 'canon' Robotech timeline from the series/books or whatever.

Then again, they never really built up Rick and Lisa's relationship either. They only ever got that one moment while they were captured on Breetai's ship in the middle of the series, but there was no real connection with them except for commander and pilot, and in that tiny instant they shared very brief glimpses of their past and they just felt sorry for each other. The writers completely abandoned any notion of them ever getting together after that until the very last issue where after Dolza gets obliterated by the SDF-1 main gun, they just randomly had a kiss together. So I guess leave all relationships up to chance, as the people working on this thing (if you couldn't tell already) have no clue on what they're doing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.