[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Tomino is usually credited as Writer/Director on his Gundam projects, but he's almost never the writer/director for a given episode.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mobile_Suit_Gundam_episodes
In MSG he does write/direct some episodes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mobile_Suit_Zeta_Gundam_episodes
In Zeta he writes many episodes but is never credited as episode director.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mobile_Suit_Gundam_ZZ_episodes
And in ZZ he only comes in right at the end. By Victory, he doesn't have a writing or directing credit for any episode.

Did he take more of a backseat intentionally or was there some studio decision to give him less responsibility?
>>
>>17232321
He writes the general layout and original scripts.
Then BanRise picks out what they don't like and get competent writers to redo most of it. The reason why a lot of the character interactions seem out of place is that the writers are trying to bridge together events that Tomino planned with what they already did
>>
He directed the most important episode aka Doan's Island
>>
>>17232321
Isn't this sort of thing relatively common?
>>
>>17232343
>the reason why a lot of the character interactions seem out of place etc.
Can you give an example of this?
>>
>>17232426
Ever watched any of UC gundam before?
>>
>>17232321
CCA is the perfect representation of how a work can go wrong due to producers' intromission.
Best Tomino is novelist Tomino
>>
>>17232321
This is true for like every showrunner ever. Do u even TV bro?
This is like that guy the other week who thought Tomino storyboards every moment of every episode.
>>
>>17232436
I thought so.
>>
>>17232477
Yeah I realize that, but he's usually treated by fans as if he makes every decision, when apparently he didn't even pen a script for most of the series.
>>
>>17232475
F91 was better than CCA.
>>
>>17232515
Give it up bro this is really reaching even for Tomino-bashing. Might as well say the same thing for Roddenberry, Lucas, Takahashi, and every other creator ever.
>>
>>17232515
>apparently he didn't even pen a script for most of the series
Yikes. I hate Tomino now.
>>
>>17232542
I was curious if he was taken out of the writer/ director role early in ZZ since its tone is the exact opposite of Zeta. Research showed me that he wasn't even writing scripts for most of Zeta so I was even more confused.
>>
>>17232590
Bro do you even know that half of the shows Tomino has done are comedies like ZZ?
>>
>>17232601
He doesn’t. He probably hasn’t seen a mecha anime that isn’t gundam either.
>>
>>17232590
Watch something that is not Gundam for once.
>>
>>17232601
Has he done any other live action sitcoms besides ZZ?
>>
>>17232601
Nope, thanks. That explains a lot.
>>
>>17232515
>when apparently he didn't even pen a script for most of the series
Damn I guess we can't blame Tomino for the weird-ass dialogue anymore, guys!
>>
>>17232321
Credits in anime are usually an approximate guide to what was going on. It’s actually way more collaborative and chaotic than that. This is part of why when we do Sakuga archiving we often have to pull from interviews of people on staff saying “oh well I think X actually cleaned up 50% of the cut but was never credited for it since it wasn’t his official job” and etc. Tomino as a director has free say over every part of the final product and can get people to change things up to fit his vision and probably did way more than what he was officially credited for.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.