[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: image_1_27.png (331 KB, 350x526)
331 KB
331 KB PNG
So, is anybody here even slightly interested in it?
Read up a little about it and it sounds like collection of cliches with celebrity VA meant to draw in people.
>>
It is, but it's competently acted as a result and it's no less interesting that a lot of the generic mecha series that came out of late. Definitely far better than RWBY.

Worth a watch.
>>
>>17225972
>it's no less interesting that a lot of the generic mecha series that came out of late.
Unit Pandora aka Kawamori's Warhammer adaption was extremely interesting if you're into biology and technological progress.
>>
>>17225965
>add Ukrainian
>dark skinned
>(((genderfluid)))
The creator's knowledge about east European nations is only matched by their knowledge of mecha genre
>>
>>17225965
It is arguably the most innovative and brilliant piece of animation of this decade. A daring team is recruited to pilot a new form of weaponized neuroscience that powers devastating mecha, but they must be willing to sacrifice everything to save the world. I get goosebump just thinking about it.
>>
The first couple of episodes are pretty boring, but it's been gradually picking up. The latest episode is decent. I think the thing that will kill this series is the paywall, which limits the audience right out the gate and will turn a lot of people off unless they release it all for free when the season is over. Not everyone is going to go find m3u8s or sit on threads waiting for Mega links to watch it as it airs.
>>
File: 1549712382575.jpg (78 KB, 930x580)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>17225965
>(((Western mecha))))
why is this not a ban?????
>>
Kainar without the excuse of being chinese
>>
>>17225984
here (you)r gold
>>
>>17226000
Did you forget the iron giant?
>>
>>17226012
I did because it was shit
>>
>>17225965
boring. uninteresting. too much identity SJW politics. no better than the new voltron.
>>
>>17225978
>hurr
>>
>>17226017
>too much identity SJW politics
Is this true
>>
https://youtu.be/6w7jcvZFonY
got bored - haven't seen the series, doesn't look very original.
>>
>roosterteeth
>>
>>17226033
The lead character (who is black and voiced by Michael B. Jordan) is/was in a relationship with a white woman (Dakota Fanning's character) and one character is genderfluid (as is their VA) and referred to with they/them. That's it.
>>
>>17225972
>it's no less interesting that a lot of the generic mecha series that came out of late.
>Worth a watch.
doesn't compute
>>
File: 9d5.png (681 KB, 677x483)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
>>17226152
>copyright blocked by rooster teeth
>>
>>17226175
These two amazing artists give so much to the interpretation! I was like crying so much that I had to stop, so many powerful emotions were stirred by their incredible performance! Truly, a work of art.
>>
File: Michael Suit Jordan.jpg (69 KB, 800x603)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>17226175
Michael Jordan is in the last show you watched, what changes.
>>
>>17226244
Is he the main character?
Because it would be great to see him riding around in the Zeta dunking on some Titans
>>
>>17226244
Basketball Michael is an asshole though.
>>
File: yellow belmont.jpg (26 KB, 500x333)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>17226175
>genderfluid
das horror
>>
>>17226310
The character in question is said to have gone back and forth several times. Presumably in the show's future setting, it's a little more in-depth and easy to accomplish than the hormones and genital mutilation "transitioning" we have today.
>>
>>17226398
Reminds me of what's possible in The Culture.
>>
>>17225972
>Definitely far better than RWBY.
thats not saying much
>>
It seems to suffer from the same old issue a lot of western CGI shows have of the guns almost universally being really fucking piddly.
>>17226175
They did try really fucking hard to bash the latter and a few other things over your head in the last episode, which goes the opposite way of normalizing anything.
>>
File: 1521296038210.png (1.57 MB, 1920x805)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>17226000
Same reason RWBY isn't a ban for weebshit on /co/. Cool your jets, we'll be in /trash/ after the season is over.

And speaking of cool jets, let's discuss these cool jets! So how do you think the variable geometry turbines work? Some sort of "hyperjet" design using powerful electric motors to spin the blades with such instantaneous speed and torque that the housing of a turbojet isn't necessary to enhance thrust?
>>
>>17226398
Chase's Hispanic gearhead friend did seem to think it might be possible to regenerate Chase's body despite him being nothing but a torso, arm and head and Weller considered it for a moment before dismissing it. If regrowing an entire pelvis is something they can consider, swapping out the plumbing is probably child's play.

Also, one of the radical changes gen:LOCK technology would bring about that Weller didn't specifically mention during his inspirational science speech in the third episode is that it'll make swapping your entire body for a costume one possible.
>>
I've no problem with diverse casts in European and Japanese works but every time an American production tries it I can't help it but grind my teeth.
>>
>>17226945
japanese treat characters as people first, their ethnicity is usually just background flavouring. americans are too tied up trying not to offend people, which usually means non-white characters end up feeling preachy or bland.
>>
>>17226923
I dislike it immediately, seems like typical artstation overdesigned greeble filled generic scifi VTOL fighter design.
>>
File: 1520352469524.jpg (149 KB, 1914x794)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>17226963
Eh, they could've gone with something simpler, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to show off because of the fat budget they had to work with. At least they use more or less everything that looks like it would be a flap or something as they're flipping between the buildings. They didn't feel like there was a lot of shit on them not making seemingly useful motions during their scenes.

At least they managed to keep the main mecha designs conservatively traditional without slapping on too many zippers and buttons. I was a little put off by the basic color palettes, but eventually I realized that using that approach makes them readily recognizable without having to get stupid with their shapes so their silhouettes differentiate them. They actually look like a military unit with standardized gear.
>>
>>17226982
I really like the Endoskeletons we see in episode 3.
>>
>>17226984
Yeah, I liked how much time they spent showing the endoskeletons in that episode. It really helped convey the sense of "human bodies in armor" that inspired mecha when you eventually see them with their combat plating. It also cleverly let them establish a visual lexicon of the endos flailing around with noodle limbs so they can throw more oomph into the motions with the plating on and not have it look too excessive and ridiculous in comparison.
>>
>>17226945
I've noticed this a lot, it just comes across as lame.
>>17226960
>which usually means non-white characters end up feeling preachy or bland.
In my experience, preachy comes from a place of them feeling like they have an obligation to use their platform to highlight those aspects of a character because they're not common, while bland comes from a place of having characters that exist to show off those aspects and very little else.

Both seem like pretty misguided ways to write and present characters.
>>
>>17227020
This show seems to be avoiding that for now.
>>
>>17225965
/pol/ hates it, so it has to be at least decent.
>>
>>17226989
Yes, the introspection they put in the extremely curated design of the mecha is commendable. It's amazing how they managed to get away with the greeble of babyformers and at the same time create a realistic and modern aesthetic for the mecha. The animation is also superb, fluid but heavy at the same time.
>>
File: 1532614373948.jpg (56 KB, 585x464)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>17227056
>>
One thing I really liked that isn't seen much in mecha is how Weller states that the gen:LOCK technology is still in its infancy but can be developed and enhanced to allow for greater pilot compatibility. "Only special people and especially the special MC can pilot the mechs" doesn't work in every setting. In ones approaching science fantasy it's fine and can improve the vibe, but it always bothers me when a scientist in something trying to be hard sci-fi basically goes "Yep, that's the extent this technology can improve. It will never get any better than this and become more accessible. This is the end of science."

>>17227056
Just be glad /m/ gets to reap the benefits of RT taking six seasons to learn how to make CGI not look like shit.
>>
>>17226000
Not all of them are bad, anon
>>
>>17225983
Yeah but who knows maybe Ukraine will be an economic miracle some day attracting thousands of African rapefugees.
>>
>>17226945
The issue that lately Americans make the diversity/sexuality the main focus whereas in other shows it's not really relevant.
>>
>>17226175

How the fuck genderfluids get them they pronoun? The dissociative identity disorder people should protest this travesty.
>>
>>17225983
Future America is on the verge of being driven off the continent. This clearly isn't the world we know today. Unless you need your media to always reflect the way the world is right now, it's perfectly believable that the Ukraine became more progressive as technology advanced before the Union arose and started taking over everything.
>>
>>17227056
laying it on a little thick, bud
>>
Here's my wild stab at the Union's evil twist: They have a technology similar to gen:LOCK, but rather than use it to upload a human mind into a cybernetic brain to control a mecha, they actually remove the brain and nervous system of compatible pilots, wire them up to a mecha and program them like computers (destroying most of the person's consciousness in the process) to control them. Chase's sister was the nervous system used to run the mecha they fought in episode 4, since she has similar compatibility as he does and made her the ideal candidate for the Union's prototype.
>>
>>17227254
Nah, it was funny for everyone. When you try to mock someone like that when you haven't actually seen it, sometimes you accidentally do mention the good points and the fans get to enjoy a sensible chuckle while the haters get a scathing chortle.
>>
It's 4 or 5 episodes in, we still don't know who or what the Union are, what they want, who or what the Vanguard or Policy are and what they want. We know nothing about the world but thank god they've referenced every other Roosterteeth property and gave Spike Spiegal's seiyuu the ability to say "Mecha?" and made sure genderfluid characters where normalized. That sure was more important. It's only going to be 8 episodes, and they've wasted half of them. At least Valvrave was fun to watch in it's total failure, this is boring
>>
>>17226982
making designs overcomplicated just because you can render them isn't a good design direction.
simplicity of form often makes the most iconic designs. there's nothing iconic or memorable about>>17226923.
>>
>>17227293
More has happened in the first four than in a typical full season of RWBY because the episodes aren't nine minutes long.

And I'm sorry the genderfluid stuff bothered you, but showing the society the soldiers are fighting for in a military sci-fi series isn't a waste of time.

>>17227306
There's not supposed to be anything memorable about them. They don't appear again after the timeskip in the first episode. If you're gonna upgrade the MC's vehicle anyway, are you really hurting anything with five minutes of questionable design?
>>
>>17227306
I actually really like the variable axis thrust or whatever the fuck its in universe name would be, reminds me of trying to use the Hydra's VTOL in GTA as an air brake.
>>
>>17227312
They spent the first third of episode 3 saying what happened in episode 2, twice. They have the RT problem of the writing the show for people who don't watch the show which leads to it being repetitive and dragged out for anyone who DOES watch the show. I wouldn't say much has actually happened since half of it cycles back around anyways. And the genderfluid stuff doesn't bother me, it just feels needless. It's "look how diverse we are" more so than showing something with the actual character and it continues to make the fact her final form mech from the OP having high heels even more infuriating. The Reborns Gundam has heels for a reason, Raiden in his cyborg version from MGS has heels for a reason. The high mobility sniper custom unit doesn't have a reason to have heels.
>>
>>17227340
>reborns and raiden heels
>practical
They just think it looks cool.
>>
>>17227258
I feel like this was done in some mecha anime or video game, it sounds like some Zeon shit yet I could see them going for it.
>>
>>17227325
I don't think that guy saw them in motion. He probably just thinks the thrusters turn at a slight angle rather than whirl around like mad cunts while showing the effect of sudden increases in blade speed to increase thrust.

>>17227340
>The high mobility sniper custom unit doesn't have a reason to have heels.
Ruby Rose and Widowmaker. The high mobility sniper having heels is a trope now.
>>
>>17227340
>>17227348
Also, heels increase height and can house dampening units for recoil suppression. It's a mecha, it doesn't have to have perfect sniper posture to snipe and the issue isn't not being able to find a use for any bells or whistles, it's knowing when to stop adding bells and whistles.
>>
>>17227356
Those are human characters, putting it on a mech is actively sabotaging your structural integrity. Also Ruby wears combat boots, not heels. There's even a plot point in volume 3 that she's uncomfortable walking around in heels so I don't know where you're getting that from?

>>17227363
High heels on mecha is always retarded unless you actively justify it. Reborns as I mentioned earlier, is double sided. It's heels are the front of the foot for the other side as well as allowing it to plant itself for using the heavier armaments on the back. You can look at the reborns, get told it's gimmic and go "yeah, I see why it has heels" but the Holon's are built from a more military base than Ribbons Almark's custom gundam
>>
>>17227312
>There's not supposed to be anything memorable about them. They don't appear again after the timeskip in the first episode. If you're gonna upgrade the MC's vehicle anyway, are you really hurting anything with five minutes of questionable design?
just saying, you can make a grunt design not look so uninspired and boring.
>>
>>17227348
Raiden's heels have small grips in them like Bayonetta but for swords. He does his thousand stabs with his feet. So there's a reason for his heels, they turn his feet into secondary hands because he has a history of having his arms cut off
>>
>>17227258
She's very, very briefly is visible in that cyberspace thing before it goes offline but I wouldn't write off something like this.
>>
>>17227293
>and made sure genderfluid characters where normalized.
That's what they probably wanted but what they actually did with that is the opposite, especially with trying to use the dude as a surrogate for the audience and then implying he's stupid for not noticing.
>>
>>17225965
looking at this I don't think making your own mecha comic/show/game is that hard now, after two eps I just started drawing my own stuff.

if roosterteeth can do it, you can do anons!
>>
>>17227397
I've been picking away at my own mecha series for a while, but I can't draw and novelization is a shit medium for such a visual genre
>>
>>17227376
The endoskeletons are apparently some sort of flesh-imitating metal. Weller states that the holons don't contain organic material. You have no valid basis for saying giving them heels would reduce structural integrity due to the exotic and inexplicable nature of their structure at this point.

>>17227392
I like the Japanese meathead. He gives me a Jotaro vibe.

>>17227402
You don't need to know how to draw to make CGI mecha, you just need to have some sense of design awareness so you don't make stupid choices or overdesign.
>>
>>17227402
with the can't draw stuff, start off small

/co/ give me this links to help me out Basic(Japanese)
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=67552488
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=46913589
https://ichi-up.net/2015/074
Action(Japanese)
https://ichi-up.net/2017/055
Detail(Japanese)
https://ichi-up.net/2017/066
>>
>>17227397
Given their average amount of rigging screwups with shit like RWBY, you could at least come close just dicking about in SFM with ripped models.

It's not a million miles from how they got started with Halo.
>>
>>17227385
Neat, didn't catch that.

Even if it isn't her, some evidence of tech like that might lie in the nature of the weaponized nanosmoke. It can be lethal to organic lifeforms, yet can be completely blocked off by nonliving matter. That seems to imply some sort of genetically engineered airborne retroviral tech that would indicate they might experiment with other questionable genetic and medical manipulations.
>>
File: 1534600237290.jpg (450 KB, 1920x1080)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
The whole mind transfer with the possibility of it becoming permanent thing reminds me of ID-0 in a way.
>>
>>17227137
Because it's the only pronoun that already exists in English that doesn't dehumanize them. It's either "them" or "it."
>>
>>17225965
It just seems like they ripped off mecha and put in an ace combat plot
>>
>>17225965
Like it hope the quality doesn't drop.
>>
>>17227730
I forgot that even existed, had some neat stuff before it went full on batshit with the ore stuff.
>>
>>17227137
They/them has been gender neutral for hundreds of years.
It's just that it was usually used when you didn't know enough about a person to determine their gender, rather than for people who have decided not to have one.
>>
File: dgskeleton1.jpg (33 KB, 500x325)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Watched some.
I mean what I say in the least insulting way possible. What kind of media do fans of Rooster Teeth consume to become acclimated to this standard of animation, writing and execution? This seems genuinely amateur. I'm not convinced I would enjoy this even if it was my first foray into mecha. It's jarring, off-putting and doesn't have much of a hook.
I never tried to watch RWBY since it really has no content I'm interested in, but if It's anything like this then I'm pretty shocked at how overblown it's become.
>>
>>17227916
RWBY is the same kind of phenomenon as those terrible mid-00s web comics. It's fucking awful by pretty much every standard but something about the platform and subject matter gets people.
>>
>>17227916
>I never tried to watch RWBY since it really has no content I'm interested in, but if It's anything like this then I'm pretty shocked at how overblown it's become.
Imagine some 15 year olds first attempt at character design after binging on Final Fantasy.
Then imagine that same 15 year old clumsily animating those character designs in Poser while getting some e-celebs to voice them.
That's RWBY in a nutshell.
>>
>>17226000
go back to /a/frica
>>
>>17228140
I support a ban on western mecha, it would improve the quality of this board.
>>
>>17227940
It's pretty much the same shit with Avatar (the cartoon).

Muh (((west))) anime that somehow everybody love despite all the bad elements.
>>
>>17227940

It's probably no more awful than anything with a mass appeal. A lot of people consume mediocre or plainly dull media just because developing a taste takes some work while fawning over good guy beating a bad guy or fire guy having romance with an ice girl involves no effort.
>>
>>17226000
/m/ has nothing to do with specifically Japan or Japanese products relating to mecha. Western stuff is 100% kosher and encouraged as long as it adheres to some facet of Mecha or even general sci-fi.
>>
>>17228149
Why are you dragging Avatar into this?
>>
>>17228168
>Western stuff is 100% kosher
My god, they are here.
>>
>>17227730
>ID-0

Man, there was a show I really wanted to be better. I loved the concepts and the teaser had that cool folk song, but the animation was real hit and miss, the mecha designs were shit, and the story was super dull.
>>
>>17225965
Another shitty roosterteeth animation with too much advertising budget.
>>
>>17227970
you sound assbalsted
>>
>>17227970
so like most of every anime ever
>>
>>17228154
Eh, mass market garbage with terrible production values is rarer. People might have terrible ideas but there's usually a level of professionalism involved to at least make something look like it shouldn't be shit.
>>
File: 1549918912711.png (666 KB, 975x975)
666 KB
666 KB PNG
wow this thread
>>
>>17225972
>>17228154
>>17229584
Can someone explain this viewpoint to me in more detail?
It being 'better' than 'no anime in particular' doesn't seem like a real argument in favor of the show's quality. It's pretty much using comparison as a mean to defend this stuff, without actually picking something in specific to compare it to.
>>
>>17229695
Like the flash animations of the late 90s and early 2000s, people will watch it just because it's internet only. The novelty is enough to get people in the door.
Never mind that it's a dumpster fire and they could find a dozen much better shows with the same subject matter on the Netflix account they're already paying for.
>>
>>17229695
>>17229718
whats with you retards its just a cool show to watch is that a bad thing now or something
>>
File: Very Cool.jpg (417 KB, 1167x670)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
You know its shit if Collider are praising it.
>>
File: 1548211432906.jpg (10 KB, 236x213)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Do I just have low standards or is it not terrible from the 2 episodes I've seen? Maybe my wish for something with this "stuck as a robot" character concept is making me overlook other flaws.
>>
>>17229753
Don't be a fuckboy. You can enjoy the show and I can call it the /m/ equivalent of an Egoraptor cartoon.
>>
>>17225965
I like it.
>>
>>17230041
At least egoraptor actually put some effort into his animations before he gave up and became a fat videogame youtuber slob.
>>
>>17230036
You know the way things work around here. People will find any reason to shit on something, especially if it means being contrarian.
>>
>>17230521
the contrarian position here is actually liking a roosterteeth cartoon.
>>
>>17229953
thats because they wanted another chance to kiss Michael B Jordan's ass
they have had actors on their collider live podcast and im thinking this is just an attempt to get him on the show too.
>>
>>17225984
Can you spot the shill?
>>
Cringe
>>
File: (You).webm (603 KB, 640x360)
603 KB
603 KB WEBM
>>17231312
>>
It is a mix of Full Metal Panic and Argevollen mecha wise.
>>
>>17230534
you sound like a fucking idiot i dont know what you guys have against rooster teeth every time i ask its some retard mad they got popular and the sow is fine get over yourself
https://my.mixtape.moe/ringib.mp4
>>
/m/ is filled with some of the most jaded and cynical fans on 4chan. You really think we're not laughing at the desperate shilling you RT idiots are doing?
>>
>>17231327
Do you really see no problem with how horrible the voice acting, writing, sound mixing, 3d models, and animation are?
They are amateurish at best. I don't see how something so lazily put together got popular. Maybe as an animation short, but not as a show.
>>
>>17231341
It's only 4 episodes in, kinda hard to say it's popular when the show isn't even half done.
>>
>>17231341
The ost is also bad
>>
>>17231354
Even taking out the obnoxious insert songs that seem more fitting for some shitty CBS drama, the soundtrack is incredibly bland.
>>
>>17231348
I'm talking more so about RWBY. From the clip that anon posted, Genlock doesn't seem to be nearly as bad.
Though I definitely don't think its quite good either. The sound design makes it soumd more like a generic action movie amd the ost is bland. The mecha designs look a lot better than most western trash, but aren't anything special when compared to other designs from just about anywhere aside from the west. The voice acting seems okay from that clip though.
Post a longer clip and I might try watching the show. That is, if the show is free of course. Since I don't want to pay for a mediocre product.
>>
>>17231367
First episode is free, the rest require a subscription. Somebody's ripping it as it airs, though. A Mega link usually floats around these threads.
>>
>>17229695

The point is, it might be awful but a lot of people still consume awful stuff like no tomorrow. That's not necessarily good or bad, that's just how the things seem to be.
>>
>>17231327
>>17231341
>>17231367
i love how the mechs do almost zero damage to the environment around them, literally only a few cars and a streetlight get knocked over
giant ass mech thrown into the side of a building and it doesnt even break a window.

also the concept art at the end credits looks good, but the execution looks bad because it lacks texture and turns out looking like an old video game.
>>
Amazing how negative some people are. Hate to sound like an old codger but I would have killed for a show like this when I was a kid.

We should be applauding anyone's attempt at taking a stab at the mecha genre, especially in the west. if it turns out bad for you, it turns out bad, fine, but if someone somewhere liekd it and got into Mecha because of it then it did a good job imo.
>>
>>17231882
That's nice.
>>>/co/
>>
>>17231466
This is what I meant when I said bad 3d models.
The reason why there is barely any damage is because they were too lazy to make the models for it.
I don't see why such laziness is praised by the shills from >>>/co/ why are they even on /m/? Just to shill for Roosterteeth? Didn't the same thing happen on /a/ when RWBY was airing (is it still ongoing? I have no idea).
They don't even seem to comprehend the idea of quality. They think that just making a show is praiseworthy enough. I guess it's because /co/ is used to shitty western animation though. Their standards are so low.
>>
>>17232043

I appreciate the compliment that we are somehow a big community to be shilled at. (Do people even shill here, really? It seems like a lost cause)
>>
>>17232081
>do people really shill on a board for Japanese toy commercials?
Proof that you are from /co/ right here.
>>
>>17228154
As much as I hate mainstream media it does have production values. Yes capeshit is dumb but they make it look like a visual orgasm.
>>
>>17229753
I have a bakaBT account and could enjoy 1000 anime shows right now. Basically there needs to be a better reason than "the internet talks about it" or "it made a billion at the box office" for me to watch something.
>>
>>17231882
And it will turn off far more people to the genre because they'll see this shit show as the the representative of it. You can't make a fan letter series to something you don't understand
>>
>>17231882
>Hate to sound like an old codger but I would have killed for a show like this when I was a kid.
I guess /co/fags would have never watched any mecha when they were kids, so I understand why you like it in that case. But you're on the wrong board if you want to find people in the same situation.
People on /m/ are harsh on it because we've actually watched other mecha and this isn't our first shitshow.
>>
>>17225965
sallright
>>
>>17226000
this
>>
>>17226963
what did he mean by this?
>>
I hate /co/mblr
>>
>>17227137
jesus fuck you're a moron
>>
>>17232134
Why the need to gatekeep? Surely any attempt to make a mecha show is better than none. And it's not like mecha in the West has much of a following outside of Transformers anyway.
>>
>>17232179
>Surely any attempt to make a mecha show is better than none
Wrong.

>And it's not like mecha in the West has much of a following outside of Transformers anyway
Let's keep it that way.
>>
>>17232187
That's pretty close minded.
>>
>>17231882
When you were a kid there were many, many way better mecha shows available.
And this isn't particularly accessible to kids considering they need to pay a subscription fee to a company most famous for talking over footage of video games just to watch it.
>>
>>17232217
Censorship and regulation is sometimes necessary for a healthy community.
>>
>>17232217
It's also close minded to disregard the opinions of people that have experience with a genre. If it's bad, then it's bad. There's no changing that and it shouldn't get a free pass.
>>
>>17232226
And essential to create a stagnant one.
>>
>>17232179
>Surely any attempt to make a mecha show is better than none.

Haven't you heard the saying:
"If you're going to do, then do it right, or don't do it at all."

That's what this show is. Half-hearted, and full of SJW non-sense that distracts from the story. No one gives a damn about gender fluidity. Why does sexuality matter in mankinds' war for survival? Here's a hint It doesn't.
>>
>>17232231
But it being bad is subjective, there are plenty of BBS boards and other communities that are discussing this show and taking something positive from it. Who are we to say we know what's best, when we can rarely agree on that?
>>
>>17232239
>there are plenty of BBS boards and other communities that are discussing this show and taking something positive from it
Stay there then?
>>
>>17232235
>No one gives a damn about gender fluidity. Why does sexuality matter in mankinds' war for survival?
I know you're being stupid on purpose but I'll bite anyway.
If you'd watched the show you would have recognized that the characters aren't intended to be cardboard cut out soldier people, and have their own personalities and problems in addition to fighting a war. This method of storytelling that mixes a larger conflict with smaller character focused stories might be familiar to you if you watched
Gundam
Macross
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Power Rangers
Kamen Rider
Or anything else, instead of endlessly regurgitating reddit memes about cartoons you haven't seen.
>>
Show is fine. Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>17232179
>Surely any attempt to make a mecha show is better than none.
A bad product is a bad product. I don't give shows a pass for "trying".
>>
>>17232258
>This method of storytelling that mixes a larger conflict with smaller character focused stories might be familiar to you if you watched
Damn, totally convinced me to watch this show now. Genlock ftw!
>>
>>17232155
to put it simply, it looks like pure shit.
>>
>>17232258
None of the shows you listed had characters caring about their sexuality, gender, or race unless it was a gag done for humor. You think POWER RANGERS cares about gender fluidity? Don't preach when you know nothing about the shows you listed.
>>
>>17225965
Why do Americans care about ethnicity so much? It what universe do you get the perfect ratio of Black, Mexican, White? This show is trying to hard to appeal to the reddit crowd.
>>
>>17232258
>/co/fag looks up popular mecha and toku and lists them
Doesn't really prove your point
>>
>>17231466
they where told not to idiot
>>
File: 1514805778700.png (16 KB, 625x626)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>17231341
>>17231354
>>
>>17232361
>people who disagree are baiting
The absolute state of /co/ brainlets here
>>
File: WOOLAY.jpg (10 KB, 241x209)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
wow look at the cool guys in this thread
>>
File: 1515627764416.jpg (176 KB, 980x1040)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>17232364
fuck off retard you care coming up with the most retarded shit to hate
>g-g-g-go back to /co/
you sound like one of those youtube "critics"
>>
>>17232258
Nice to know anyone can go on wiki and list out famous mecha and toku shows. You didn't even put in the effort to explain how "Gen:Lock" relates to anything on that list.

I give this post 1/10. Put in more effort next time.
>>
/co/ was a mistake.
>>
File: Boring Thread.jpg (24 KB, 268x282)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>
>>17232386
cry more fag
>>
>>17225965
So this is what we get when Americans try to imitate famous mecha shows. Full of baizuo garbage.
>>
>>17232386
Yeah, /co/ is a prime example of what happens when a board prides itself on being nice and welcoming, not like those other nasty 4channers.
>>
>>17232383
Gen Lock sucks ass. My problem with shitposter-kun was that his only complaint was that they had a genderfluid character instead of calling out the dull unoriginal plot, horrible dialogue and unpolished CG.
People who constantly bitch about surface level elements make it impossible to talk about the actual shit aspects of bad stories. I don't want another Ghostbusters 2016 on the mecha board.
>>
>>17232401
This is a preview for Legendary's live action Gundam. They'll hire writers from Gen:Lock and have them do it.
I can't wait for black trans woman Amuro to fight back against the Fascist regimes of Space Nazis (they will have actual nazis instead of zeon).
>>
>>17232409
Funnily enough, I remember Ghostbusters 2016 having shill threads on /m/ as well.
>>
>>17232419
>I can't wait for black trans woman Amuro to fight back against the Fascist regimes of Space Nazis
You're glowing in the dark.
>>
>>17232422
>everyone I don't like is a /pol/tard
>>>/co/
>>>/lgbt/
>>>/mlp/
>>
File: cry harder baby.jpg (62 KB, 500x375)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>17232431
>>
File: 1507771658371.gif (1.49 MB, 256x192)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>17232431
>>
>>17232361
>>17232367
>>17232381
>>17232390
>>17232422
>>17232433
Need any more (You)s?
>>
>>17232441
>/a/ & /co/ filename
What are the odds?
>>
File: 1519543679301.png (1.1 MB, 926x1300)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
@17232442
>>
>>17232431
>spout /pol/ rhetoric
WOW I wonder how he knew
>>
File: 1548037192786.gif (1.62 MB, 480x360)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB GIF
>>17232447
>>
>>17232450
>every board except /co/ is now /pol/
Wow, nice bait.
>>
>>17232409
The most notable thing about this show IS the SJW elements. It's not worth talking about anything else. Everything else about the show is boring, and poorly executed garbage.
>>
>>17232458
All 4chan boards except /mu/, /co/, /lit/ and the other tumblr/twitter colonies.
>>
>>17232461
How did he think a joke about live action Gundam was /pol/ rhetoric anyways?
There have been threads on /m/ saying the same kind of stuff I did yet the /co/fag didn't come to whiteknight those. Is this his first time outside >>>/co/ ?
>>
>>17232472
>Is this his first time outside >>>/co/ ?
Clearly.

The false assumption that /pol/ controls 4chan makes these tumblr tourists assume that defending tonally jarring garbage gives them trolling points. Or maybe they're genuinely trying to force SJW ideology onto the rest of the website, I don't know.
>>
why do people even want western mecha shows when it only brings tumblr to this board?
>>
>>17232487
Western mecha COULD be good. If a /m/an actually made one. Instead we get normies, SJWs, and hollywoodfags making all the mecha in the west without any love of mecha.
>>
>>17232487
are you retarded
>>
>>17232497
That does seem to be a big issue.
Too many of these western mecha producers seem to have only watched like, whatever gundam was on toonami once 20 years ago. Its why so much of it seems so cliche. The insufferable tumblr shipping bait characters don't help though.
>>
>>17232487
this board's talked about shit like Battletech, Robokek, Megas XLR, Pac Rim and shit for years, and had plenty of threads where that didn't happen. Tumblr or leftypol or what have you seems to show up here regardless of the geographical origin of subjects.
>>
>>17232536
I think calling it cliche is giving it too much credit, if it had cliches /m/ was familiar with there would be much more tolerance towards it. Most of what you call western mecha has the problems you mention, but now we'd also have to include gurren lagann and code geass since those shows are pretty accessible.
>>
>>17232497
>Western mecha COULD be good.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MAN GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE
>>
>>17232554
>gurren lagann and code geass since those shows are pretty accessible.
Can someone explain to me how these shows are accessible? I started Gurren Lagann and it's alrgith but it didn't really immediately seize my interest and I've yet to complete it, but I've seen enough to know that it isn't naruto or dbz or any other typical normie selection, yet it's latched onto without hesitation whenever you ask what mecha story some normie WOULD watch. Code gayass is borderline /m/ kino but also drew the interest of normies for some reason. What even makes these shows "accessible"?
>>
>>17232487
THIS western mecha will never be /m/ and need to be banned
>>
>>17232568
Probably that the plots could've progressed the exact same way if the characters just had super powers instead of mechs
Also they were shown on western TV at just the right time to reach a desperate audience in an uncrowded market
>>
File: 1522873679582.jpg (46 KB, 456x520)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>17232576
The fact that these is obvious advertisement threads are not deleted is absurd. With these whole 4channel bullshit they are clearly getting paid for advertisement, but they should at least be clear about it.
>>
It's okay I guess. Not dropping it yet at least.
>>
>>17232577
>Probably that the plots could've progressed the exact same way if the characters just had super powers instead of mechs
Code gayass had both though, and it wouldn't work missing one or the other. Plus it gives enough screentime and detail to the mechs themselves that I would say it is "distinctively" a mecha cartoon.

>>17232585
Got anything to substantiate this besides your gut?
>>
>>17232536
hold on most mecha show follow the let's copy Gundam rule and most of them that do this is from Japan
>>
File: 1516003483939.png (303 KB, 677x592)
303 KB
303 KB PNG
>>17232576
>>17232600

are you mad its not from /a/ or something
>>
>>17232623
I like western mecha though.
>>
>>17232623
I'm mad its garbage.
>>
>>17225965
the only cool thing about this show is that the mc's body is completely fucked up
everything else is just boring as fuck
>>
File: 1516582187648.gif (1.49 MB, 300x300)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>17232658
>>17232655
>>17232636
>>
>>17232623
i'm mad were letting western trash here and shiting up mecha
>>
>>17232700
retarded weeb
>>
>>17232700
>>/a/frica
>>
>>17232712
>>17232703
stay mad western cuck
>>
>>17232726
no mad /a/ fag
>>
>>17226923
Didn't RWBY get run off of /co/ to /trash/, regardless of new episodes or not, because it was a literal cancer?
>>
File: Down.gif (560 KB, 365x205)
560 KB
560 KB GIF
>>17232600
>Got anything to substantiate this besides your gut?
If you ask for the photo of a cheque, clearly no. But it should be pretty evident to someone like you, regardless of the merit of the series.
First they arrived with the clearly ad post (now dead, I believe) that was straight from reddit, which was quickly identified and told to fuck off. Then they realised that anons here a bit different and after lurking ten minutes they came up with this more sensible thread, while at the same time stepping up with the, less sensible, positive comments in it.
Now, unless a bunch of normalfags discovered gen:lock and all of sudden flooded from tumblr to fucking /m/ this is hard to explain otherwise.
I don't even have anything against Gen:lock, but I find these kind of tactics against the genuinely autistic spirit of the board.
>>
>>17232741
its only there when the show is off because the mods don't like generals every show has one there and you can still talk about rwby on /co/ so fuck off with your retarded rage
>>
>>17232735
>>>>/c/uck
>>
>>17232726
>>>/a/frica

>>17232750
>First they arrived with the clearly ad post (now dead, I believe) that was straight from reddit, which was quickly identified and told to fuck off.
I see, I must not have picked up on that then. Besides I use reddit like once a year so I wouldn't know.

>Now, unless a bunch of normalfags discovered gen:lock and all of sudden flooded from tumblr to fucking /m/ this is hard to explain otherwise.
I feel like this place has had that type of person for a while, what with the steady supply of people trying to bait /pol/ shit, dismissing criticisms of forced diversity as "racist" and complaining about things like people casually saying "nigger" on 4chan.
>>
>>17232789
>Besides I use reddit
The fact that you're a namefag was enough of an indicator. You don't have to be such an attention whore about it.
>>
>>17232789
>I use reddit
> namefag
>>>>/co/
>>
>>17232568
Just the time of their airing to be honest, code geass and lagann are both shows that aired in 2007, I wasn't on 4chan during those times, but I do know that both enjoyed immense popularity on 4chan that bleeded out into the normal anime populace at the time, like most 4chan trends.
>>
>>17229695
"Perfectly watchable, but nothing special." It's amazing how this middleground seems to have disappeared from the consciousness of /m/.

It's something you can comfortably consume on a day off with nothing better to do. I enjoyed it more than Macross Delta, I guess.
>>
>>17232169

That's just one of my personalities anon, turn down the hate speech please.
>>
>>17232860

Right, I couldn't make it past half of Delta's first episode despite all the production values and all. So it's probably no more awful than Delta.
>>
>>17226982
The designers also have a rule that both the character and humanoid mecha designs have to be cosplayer-friendly rather than toy-friendly. That really plays well to the military aesthetic, since the designs are necessarily practical and have decent articulation (not sure if those endoskeletons are benefiting from the ventilation holes and storage areas but whatever.) You basically just need high heels or stilts to imitate the legs.
>>
>>17232892
>mecha designs have to be cosplayer-friendly
>not toy-friendly
No wonder they're so bland and mediocre. "muh military" doesn't excuse it either
>>
>>17232892
Is that why they had a fucking bunny in the early marketing stuff?

Also where did you hear about this rule?
>>
>>17232918
The bunny is still there in Hackergirl's mech.

Speaking of which, I'm calling it now that Hackergirl and Weeb Bait end up dating.
>>
>>17225965
I like the other mechs the AT-ST walkers, who hs a pic of them?
>>
>>17232937
Good the two best characters deserve it.
>>
File: images (50).jpg (43 KB, 425x721)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>17225983
>Laughs in Khohol
>>
>>17233687
>WE
>>
>>17233735
>WUZ
>>
>>17225965
Genderlock
>>
>>17226175
Something to note is Dakota Fanning's character has an ace of spades on the side of her mech.

The symbolism there is probably going to cause a shitstorm sooner or later.
>>
>>17233744
>LAUGHING
>>
>>17234962
>N' SHIET
>>
>>17231882
>We should be

No. If you wants us to watch your show you need to make a show we'll want to watch. You can't guilt trip or browbeat someone into enjoying something, no matter how much you don't understand why, or don't agree with why we don't like it.
>>
>>17235022
Are you perhaps a bigot?
>>
>>17235058
FUCK
OFF
>>>/co/
>>
>>17235058
Go back to the Devilman thread. You're not going to catch anything if you keep using the same bait over and over again.
>>
>>17231882
>but I would have killed for a show like this when I was a kid

That is fair. I too remember the days before digital piracy. You actually had to buy some overpriced imported DVDs, we didn't even have anime shows on TV here.

But there is no goddamn excuse in 2019. Everything is available to you. You can watch something good.
>>
>>17235090
There's always going to be somebody who seeks out bad stuff to watch and gives themselves an excuse for it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.