[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: 1543903761748.jpg (138 KB, 1432x1076)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
There hasn't ever been a good Macross anime
>>
>>17049199
>>17049197
>>17049196
ayy jannies i think we gettin raided
>>
>>17049206
i don't think it's a raid so much as an influx of kids on school computers, since "4channel.org" isn't blacklisted on their network yet
>>
Only Delta is bad
>>
you made this thread yesterday and got dumpstered for it being shitty bait. get off the computer dipshit.
>>
So which macross series should I watch? I've only seen Plus.
>>
File: 1542974526983.webm (2.84 MB, 480x360)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>17050165
SDF, it is a flawed masterpiece.
>>
>>17050165
All of them
>>
I only liked the original series. DYRL is pretty but is worse than the original series in every way.
Plus was okay. Had fun with 7 but dropped it halfway through.

Only know of Frontier because of SRW but it seems alright. The main girls seem annoying.
>>
File: dilandau.jpg (82 KB, 500x386)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>17049199
>Macross anime
>posts pic from Gunbuster
>>
>>17050165
SDF, DYRL, which ever version of Plus you didn't watch, and the Frontier movies.

Zero establishes a lot of lore that would be relevant in later entries. 7 has some of the best music in the franchise, but drones on for way too long. II is said to be not canon to the mainline of stories, but time has proven that it's one of the better entries.
>>
>>17049296
DYRL, Plus, and 7 were less than 3/10s
>>
>>17050974
None of those are below 7/10.
>>
>>17050995
DYRL is
>>
>>17050706
More like II is one of the most boring entries.
A complete snoozefest with the shittiest mecha designs of the franchise.
>>
>>17051019
But DYRL is a 10/10 audio visual masterpiece.
>>
>>17051138
Anime/movies aren't all about visuals and sound. I saw that the creator said that DYRL is how Macross would have been if he had just made a single movie but that's obvious bullshit and you can tell that stuff is missing since it's just the series modified and compressed to fit into 2 hours or however long it was. The visuals are of course going to be better than the series but the characters and plot are much worse.
>>
>>17051066
Still 10x better story than the moe-shit we've been getting as of late.
>>
>>17050974
>DYRL, Plus
>3/10s

Good god, man. You're probably one of those otaku faggots that buys all the figurines of the female cast and pours hot glue over them.
>>
File: DYRL QUALITY.webm (2.55 MB, 1280x720)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB WEBM
>>17051138
>>
>>17051151
That's exactly who DYRL appeals to. Only incels who wish Minmay was their girlfriend like it
>>
>>17049206
>being so much of a newfag that you think we have janitors.
guessing you're the maker of those other 2 threads
>>
>>17051141
The thing is that there is nothing wrong with the plot and characterization. It lacks the depth of SDF but it doesn’t fuck up in any way, it does what it tries to do well in that regard, which is give a basic structure to make all the cool scenes flow, and then audio-visually it is god tiered. It isn’t just about animation and art detail as well, it is about things like shot composition and scene flow, which isn’t a given with films, just look at modern shit like You’re Name. As a huge cinematic spectacle of fanservice for the music and mecha parts of the series it achieves its goal perfectly. On an objective level it is great, whether someone or not care about its goal is another story, but irrelevant to the actual quality.
>>
File: robotech.jpg (70 KB, 622x350)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>17049199
Dubs of truth.

Robotech is superior.
>>
>>17051278
Maybe my opinions are skewed because I watched it right after the series but compression movies just aren't my thing. I had the same problem with Akira but I felt that Akira didn't do it anywhere near as poorly as DYRM did. Hikaru and Minmay's relationship in the movie felt contrived as hell with there not being enough time to do it the way they wanted to. I recall Max's relationship existing somewhat in the movie too and it coming out of nowhere. I didn't like the plot with the lost piece of music at all either. I feel like it's a waste of time to allocate money and manpower to making an abridged version of a TV series rather than making something original.
>>
>>17051192
>who wish Minmay was their girlfriend
No reasonable person would wish this.
>>
>>17049206
>>17051200
Jannies only delete posts if the name of a certain shitposter is mentioned.
>>
>>17051428
Well the relationship comes about the same way it did in the original, with their being trapped alone together after he saves her and them bonding that way, and he moves on to Misa for the same reason, her and Minmay are in different worlds were him and Misa are together in the millitary. I didnt see it as contrived at all, it is just shallow in comparison to what they TV series did with way more time to develop it. With Max we kind of just get a hint - he beats Millia, sees her face, is entranced, and then next we see them fighting side by side with Max in a Zentradi suit. So we do get a scene that builds it up first, but I think that is all mostly just fanservice for fans of those two.

I actually think the Akira movie is better than the manga as well, where DYRL is equal to the TV show to me. In Akira they cut out stuff that was really only interesting on the world building level and didnt add on much to the plot and was kind of dragged out and repititive anyways. Having a movie in color, animated all on 1s with incredible cinematics is worth way more to me than some interesting illustrations of a post disaster Japan and extended manga chase scenes.
>>
>>17051192
>Only incels who wish Minmay was their girlfriend like it

If you hate delicious '80s anime style and wish that Minmay was your gf that much you should probably leave this board.
>>
>>17051580
Akira at least is one of the best animated anime out there. DYRL's art and animation was definitely a lot better than the series but not that much better than other stuff from the 80s and 90s I've seen. And I don't watch anime just to gawk at the animation. It's certainly nice but if you just want pure animation there are shorts that go beyond what anyone would be able to do with a feature length movie. If I don't really like the movie itself the animation probably isn't going to affect my opinion much. I'm more of a manga guy in general so that's probably part of it for me too. Mecha is more of an anime thing though, which I've always been disappointed with since I started watching stuff in the genre.

I liked a lot of the stuff that was absent in the Akira movie. It wasn't all just scenery shots and extended chase scenes.
>>
>>17051635
I think what sets DYRL apart is that were most animators either sacrifice fluidity for detail or vice versa, DYRL has really smooth and detailed shots that are very busy all over the place while having more complicated artwork than what is standard by far. We also don't have anything else depicting big space battles around that level other than Crusher Joe and CCA, and those aren't as gorgeous looking art wise.

Anno's effects animation there is probably at his best other than the rocket launch scene in Royal Space Force - and were Itano's animation directing in Plus is more impressive when it comes to Itano circus and individual plane animations, DYRL has really busy battle scenes with a ton going on near that level while accounting for way more moving parts. So I think it is a really notable achievement for animation, definitely the most notable from the first half of the decade save the dinner scene in Beautiful Dreamer.

There just aren't enough shorts when it comes to cel animated sci fi. If Itano had gotten a place in Robot Carnival or Manie Manie to show off all his chops then yeah - maybe it would be more worthwhile to see that than DYRL. But the man is unbeaten in his way of creating the illusion of three dimensional sense with two dimensional animation and making space and aerial combat look dynamic, and Anno is only beaten by Okiura when it comes to fidelity in animating realistic effects work. I think just in terms of cinematography the movie is top tiered as well. Books always do stories better - so if I am watching film I am going to put extra weight on those things fundamental to film.

I like what was in the Akira manga as well, I should be more literal, "depictions" is a better word than "illustrations". It does a really good job showing off the post disaster world and how the people are living and all that, but to me that isn't worth nearly as much as bringing Neo Tokyo to life completely with animation that has yet to be topped.
>>
I kind of like delta
>>
>>17053146
I like the music and the VFs.
Apple girl was cute too.
>>
>>17051190
what exactly is wrong with this one, I must need new glasses
>>
>>17050706
>Zero establishes a lot of lore that would be relevant in later entries.
No it doesn't. None of the Macross entries are relevant to any of the later entries (except for SDF to 7 because of the shared characters). Other than that, the cast, the villains, and even the technology involved operates in substantially different ways with every new entry.
>>
>>17051141

characters and plot aren't much worse, cause no one ever in the history of all the anime in the universe as well as any concievable universe AS WELL as any unconcievable universe EVER saw the movie without watching the show first. We all know the characters and their motivations already. You might as well have a friends the tv-show movie and then complain that the characters weren't established enough during the 1,5 hrs. It would come of as ridiculous to most, as your nitpicking does to me.

>The visuals are of course going to be better than the series

no in fact it isn't obvious, there are many feature films and videos from the time before and after DYRL that look worse than SDFM, and this doesn't take anything away from the fact that it IS better than the series visually anyway even if it were as obvious as you think it to be.

I bet you think the new star wars movies look better than the old ones too.
>>
>>17051734

This guy knows his shit, I stand by this message.
>>
>>17053389
The movie is a retread of the story in the TV series. They may as well have made another story in the universe if they wanted you to watch the series first. Why would I want to watch the same story done again but with much less time to do much of anything but throw some fancy fights in it? Just like I don't think the Akira movie expects you to read the manga first or the Gundam summary movies to expect you to watch the series first.

>I bet you think the new star wars movies look better than the old ones too.
Haven't seen them but I have seen the terrible CGI in the prequels and what they replaced the effects in the original movies with. But we're talking about a series and a movie made in the 80s, which nearly always ends up with the movie looking better. Even if it isn't always the case it is the expectation and it happening isn't exactly something that's going to wow me.
>>
>>17053479

>They may as well have made another story in the universe if they wanted you to watch the series first.

But like others also have stated, they didn't want to. They wanted to make changes to the existing story. You got some points but the I disagree with you on that the movie doesn't expect you to have seen the show. I believe the creators very much expected this.
>>
>>
>>17053479
Yeah it just boils down to who the movie was made for. One of the two biggest draws for Macross was the idol stuff and early sakuga nerds jizzing over the amazing animation shots in the TV series. If you loved SDF and want to relive your favorite moments of the series, get a few interesting variations, some extra fanservice, amazing animation and more Minmei songs, then this movie is exactly what you want as a diehard Macross fan, then and now.
>>
if I was in just for the valkyries
what series would be the best ?
I already watched the orginal series and I had to say the writing felt a bit too teenager oriented and the animation kinda meh
I loved Macross 2
I have only Macross plus on my list
all the other stuff I heard it was mostly kawai harem idol shit is that accurate ?
>>
>>17053951

My guess is that you would not like Delta or 7, and probably at best would find Frontier tolerable. Zero may work for you if you don't mind CGI. DYRL and Plus will work out well for you, both have excellent animated valkyrie action.
>>
>>17053990
alright mate
I'm adding DYRL and frontier to my list
I'm going to pick up dvd of macross plus this sunday
I'm kinda hyped i wish they sold the blue ray in my cunt though can't find it in at least english at a reasonable price
>>
>>17049199
cuz ur gay and u don't deserve a girlfriend
>>
File: OP_is_lame.jpg (155 KB, 529x576)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>17049199

Why is OP such a shit poster?

There's hasn't been a good OP thread
>>
File: robotechlol.jpg (229 KB, 957x929)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>17051346
>robotech
You know every now and then I pop into the robotech forums to drink their tears or laugh at how pathetic robotech fans are and boy did this last visit deliver.
>>
>>17050243
The main flaw of SDF being, of course, that Minmay doesn't die off early on.
>>
>>17049238
I personally felt that the series could have been better done,
DYRL was great tho
>>
>>17051066
>More like II is one of the most boring entries.
Nobody who fapped to Sylvie and Ishtar in the 90s would ever say that.
>>
>>17059657
Good character design alone doesn't make a show good.
>>
>>17060141
All the time I spent laying in bed thinking about Sylvie being my girlfriend means I have to disagree with you there, fren.

I even grew up and became a journalist.
>>
>>17051066
Idk, I thought it was pretty interesting that they took the time to show a Valk take a non-destructive hit during combat, which left it stuck, helpless, in mid-transformation.
>>
File: basara leaf.webm (998 KB, 1440x1080)
998 KB
998 KB WEBM
>>17060165
>journalism
is that another word for glorified blogger
>>
>>17060229
I worked as a sports reporter for a while. Interviewed a few interesting people, including a former UFC heavyweight champion. I definitely wasn't a war correspondent.
>>
Even if she fucks all of her male co-worker superiors like an uber status climbing thot, I can't help but like her.
>>
>tfw no 1/64th Zentraedi gf
>tfw haven't been able to marry a girl like her yet
>tfw nobody will even call you a cuck for liking a slut
>tfw Macross II will never get a reboot
>tfw no Sylvie doujins to fap to

these feels hurt
>>
>>17051346
The absolute state of Robotech and it's fanbase.

Just fucking let Robotech die already. It's a badly dubbed lobotomy of a series which was only groundbreaking back in the early eighties because it was the only thing that was anime on Americunt TV.

Just watch DYRL.
>>
>>17064227
>tfw not pilot
>tfw NEVER EVER mecha fighter jet will exist
>tfw no one makes good fighter jet/mechs action anymore
life is trully pain
>>
>>17064227
>>17064645
I will concede that I really like Macross II as well, and I also feel sad that we will never get more Macross II because it is clearly overshadowed by DYRL and the rest of Macross.

The rest of Macross is great, but so is Macross II.
>>
>>17064811
Muh cross.

It had a great 90s OVA aesthetic that obviously you don't see today. I think they hit the perfect mix, overcoming some of the cartooniness of earlier 80s animation, without everything looking overly smooth because it's all done on computers like stuff today. It obviously wasn't perfect, animation suffered at some point in the OVAs, and there's really no excuse for that with something shorter than a TV series, but it was nice. The designs were cool too.

I dunno. I just really liked 'boy meets girl in space' but with Macross. It was pretty redpilled for the 90s too... if you watch Macross II today, you will probably see a lot of recent headlines, like the government lying about the military situations far away, mainstream media censorship, propaganda, an 'evil' enemy that turns out to be manipulated in the same way as Earth people, etc.

Most people have no idea about this.
>>
>>17064811
Well it is better than Zero, Frontier and Delta at least.
>>
at least it isn't Medabots
>>
oh no
a macross energy surge has bumped this thread from page 10
>>
>>17064868
I actually really liked Frontier a lot

Delta and Zero are on the bottom of my Macross list, but they're still ok
>>
>>17049199
Your shit-taste makes Noriko sad.
>>
>>17049199
I loved SDF and I thought Plus was a worthy sequel.

DYRL looks great but it cut way too much out of the story. Lovers Again was just bad IMO.

I've been told delta and 7 are pretty awful though so that really only leaves Zero and then Fronteir for me to watch.
>>
>>17068270
> 7
> pretty awful

whoever told you that hates fun and/or is an idiot
>>
>>17068270
7 is an acquired taste.
I really like it, but then again I like all the Macrosses.
>>
>>17049296
delta had cool fights
>>
>>17050243
i have a feeling that this scena had more budget that some whole episodes of sdf macross
>>
>>17068333
wait, i thought that his guitar was somehow hardwired to valkyrie controlls directly. now it turns out he just uses guitart to move joystick with it?
>>
>>17068369
His custom VF-19 has a guitar hero style control setup.
>>
>>17050257
7 literally only starts halfway through.
>>
>>17068369
That's just an old civilian market VF-1 that he borrows.
>>
Macross is stupid and retarded
>>
>>17070898
I don't like Mikimoto's 80's character designs
>>
>>17068333
>7 is a shit taste.
>>
>>17070930
Maybe for you, but not for me
>>
>>17049199
females
>>
>>17068361

You mean just --if not mainly-- scissor fights?
>>
File: 0083.jpg (1.07 MB, 2160x1620)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>BTFOs all Macross
>>
>>17076505
0083 isn't even one of the better Gundam entries.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.