[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Thoughts on the man?
>>
White Noise was the most infuriatingly horrible novel I’ve ever had the misfortune of reading
>>
>>13448463
I’m currently reading through WN and enjoying it so far. What is it that you didn’t like?
>>
>>13448463
go shopping
>>
>>13448463

You didn't like the toxic cloud chapter?
>>
>>13448463
Bet this pussy ass nigga afraid to death of death lmao
>>
I really like his stuff, and his grandiose sometimes sublime tone is one you just don't get as often with that american brand of cynycism that's so common with some of his contemporaries. There were some chapters in Underworld that felt a little less than inspired for sure, but the ending of that book floored me in ways few books have. He has a pretty good touch when it comes to that american kind of cultural isolation that comes from consumerism and obsession with conspiracy
>>
>>13448364
are any of his novels as consistently funny as White Noise? it's the only one of his I've read but I love it.
>>
>>13448364
Horrible. If you think American literature is shit, this faggot sure as hell proves you right.
>>
>>13448364

I read Mao II and Libre and Cosmopolis. I get where he's going with a lot of things, but he just doesn't strike me as being very fun. I'm probably alone in that regard.
>>
>>13450430
You're not alone. Don DeLillo? More like Bore Dullilo.
>>
jim carrey looking guy
>>
should I even read Underworld? I’ve read White Noise, Point Omega and End Zone (in that order) and more or less enjoyed them all. Is Libra better?
>>
>>13450755
Looks more like Henry Winkler
>>
>dude niggers are the future of america lmao
>>
>>13451077
Was he wrong? You've been replaced, edomite.
>>
>>13448364
I think people keep responding about his books, instead of him specifically. I feel like he attempts to be complex and new/original most compellingly, and this is the case for Pynchon and Wallace too. I think he also took time out of his days in an effort to emulate what he'd heard of other great men. Reading some of his early life kinda makes me think he was insecure. I think they put a lot of effort into injecting these encyclopedic breadths of knowledge into their work, and they spend time polishing it until it looks effortless.
>>
DeLillo lost my respect when he made that book about 911.
>>
>>13451099
he never said that. I was baiting, you autist.
>>
File: elaine2.jpg (16 KB, 366x423)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I thought White Noise was pretty insufferable. Something something consumerism something something lets-make-fun-of-academics. I don't know, I read it when I was like 20.

I bought Underworld for like $4 but that's at the bottom of my reading list. I'm just not in the mood for his stuff. We get it dude, American culture can be shitty.
>>
>>13451199
I got halfway through Underworld two years ago and haven't touched it since. I just got tired of Delillo.

Libra is his best, most engrossing book. I like his work, but what tires me out on him is his tendency to lay out his big ideas directly in his stories as if it were an essay and not a novel. His stories are often telling and hammering the thematic argument over the head of the reader. There's no real room for interpretation
>>
>>13451199
whats with this meme about white noise being about consumerism? its about fear of death. did you even read the book?
>>
>>13451067
I skimmed over Underworld and it doesn't look worth it. Read Angel Esmeralda instead (short stories).
>>
Phenomenal writer but I always make it a point never to read the little synopsis at the back of his books, they're pretty terrible and do an awful job of promoting the book.
Also I dropped Zero K 50 pages to the end. Dunno why but I have no interest in continuing it.
>>
>>13448364
I wouldn't say he's one of my top guys, but he's definitely one of the best American novelists of the last few decades. Underworld was great, Libra and White Noise were pretty rad, too.
>>
>>13450420
End Zone was pretty damn silly
>>
>>13448463
I'm a delillo fan but i dont like white noise very much. maybe because that was my introduction to him but i found it unfunny pretentious drudgery. i've read like 5 other novels of his since and they were all really really great and simple and honest seeming
>>
>>13451199
this post exactly what i felt about white noise. dont let that color his entire work, even though it kind of applies it's not always that hard to read

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.