[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1521369230324.png (225 KB, 513x497)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
Books about all the damage money and technology has done to the human race? I'm new to politics and the economy.
>>
>>13122509
I'd recommend starting from Marx's Das Kapital and the Critique of Political Economy working your way up to Freudo-Marxists and posmarxists such as Lukacs, Bataille, Adorno and other authors like Debord and Baudrillard.
If you want some technological determinism just go to Mcluhan, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man or even Paul Virilio, The Vision Machine.
Just be aware that any of these authors are an easy read.
The great transformation by Karl Polanyi might also help. I'd actually say this is a work that everybody should have read already.
I hope you can get through my shit english. Good luck.
>>
>>13122584
I'll look into all of those, thanks.
>>
Revelation of St. John
>>
Heidegger's confrontation with modernity: Technology, politics and art, by Michael E. Zimmerman.
>>
File: DenmWihXcAAHTdS.jpg (38 KB, 526x152)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>I'm new to politics and the economy

Verily i say unto you, dear anon, do not lose yourself in meaningless politics. If I may ask of you, so humbly, to search out the embers of our great poets so as to stoke a flame of passion within you. For there is much more in the works of Blake and of our Bard than in these foul men, bewitched by language.
>>
>>13123234
Blake was political af, he corresponded with Thomas Paine and wore the bonnet rouges to support the French Revolution.
>>
I think people lose perspective when it comes to technology. Technology isn't good or evil, it's morality is dictated by its user. Even a gun, a tool made with the specific intention to kill things easier, holds no malice for whatever its aiming at and can't kill someone out of its own will, because it lacks one. I think it would be more interesting and informative to find out WHO is using technology for nefarious ends
>>
>>13123270
Blake was political insofar as you can downscale anything into a lower resolution image, yes.
>>
>>13123271
The origin of a piece of technology should be investigated. We want to know the reason why this new technology was made by its inventor, what motivations they held, and beliefs about how it should be used and to what ends. Blindly accepting each piece of new tech is how we end up with having to be reactionary towards it, and thus those who wield it.
>>
read anything about modern urban planning
and weep
>>
I need excuses/thread
>>
>>13123234
have sex
>>
>>13122584
wtf, good advice on MY pseudboard?
>>
I don’t have the capacity to properly articulate my current situation /thread
>>
>>13123234
poetry is gay. read marx instead
>>
>>13122509
It's a bit dated but The Arrogance of Humanism by David Ehrenfeld is a pretty sobering look at technology compared to modern views of tech where some high-tech industries almost view it as godlike.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.