[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1530683999764.jpg (1.14 MB, 1080x1350)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
Hey anons. So I was wondering, where can I read some extensive information about the Moriquendi or "Dark Elves" of Tolkien's work? There seems to be very little information about them.
For example, did they still exist during the War of Ring? And where? What were their motives and allegiance? Were they neutral as a whole?
>>
>>12393789
They weren't really a tribe as such. It's a term that describes the elves that did not journey to Valinor, which could apply even to Legolas and most of the elves in Mirkwood. They refused the call to pilgrimage and never witnessed the light of the Two Trees, unlike Galadriel and her bunch.

There's also Eöl, "the dark elf", who was a cunt.
>>
>>12394041
I'm pretty sure Legolas was Sindar

But yeah, pretty much correct. Dark Elf is a catch-all term for the elves who never entered Valinor or Beleriand. Most of the elves of Mirkwood, for example, are dark elves
>>
Knowing that LotR is pretty anti-industrialization (see Isengard and the Scouring of the Shire chapter in RotK), what other kind of themes or influences can be found? I see Tolkien's experiences in WWI rub off on his descriptions of certain events and characters, for example, which I find very interesting.
>>
>>12394526
Leolas is a Grey Elf, they left the pilgrimage halfway through so they never went to Valinor but traveled with the Valar for a while. The Dark Elves are the Elves who didn't bother with the pilgrimage at all and stayed in the far east.
>>
>>12394041
Maybe some would be found in the East around the forests of Rhovanion. Maybe the king there was aware of them.
>>
>>12393789
Their story is in the Silmarillion. There should be some still around during the War of the Ring but I think they keep to themselves for the most part. I think also these are some of the elves that would be still around today.
>>
>>12393789
Book of Lost Tales (can't remember if it was volume 1 or 2, or both).
There are stories about the Moriquendi named Nuin, who taught the first humans the art of speech.
A story about the wizard-king of the Moriquendi, named Tu, who everyone seems to confuse with Sauron, even though they're completely different people (i think people get confused by the similarity of one of Sauron's alternate names, Thu).
Tu was a maia, a servant of Mandos, and the prison warden of Melkor, during the time period when Melkor was a prisoner in Valinor.
After Melkor was freed, Tu went to Cuivienen and ruled the dark elves that remained there.
The city which he ruled from (unnamed) was an underground cavern entered from a waterfall (or perhaps it contained a large waterfall within it? can't remember specifically).
Eventually the moriquendi went to war with the humans (humans under the influence of Melkor, or specifically, Melkor's servants that he sent into the far east, i think the name was Fangil? Fankil?) and were either all killed or driven into hiding.
The three houses of Man that eventually made it to Beleriand and befriended the Noldor (i.e. the Edain, the proto-Numenoreans) were directly related to those earliest humans that Nuin first taught speech to, and where they learned of rumors of Valinor.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.