[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: blacktranstrumpet.jpg (9 KB, 300x180)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>Trumpet is the debut novel of Scottish writer and poet Jackie Kay. It chronicles the life and death of fictional jazz artist, Joss Moody, through the recollection of his family and friends, and those who came in contact with him at his death. Inspired by the real life of jazz musician, Billy Tipton, a white American transgender male, "Trumpet" challenges diasporic norms by taking Black transgender lives into consideration, while also highlighting Black Scottish subjectivity. In an effort to reclaim the BLACK QUEER BODY from normative representations within the Black diaspora, Kay employs a jazz aesthetic in the construction of the novel, and as a framework for her analysis. Matt Richardson, in his analysis of the transgender subjectivity and the use of a Jazz aesthetic in the novel, notes, "As a form that encourages the transformation of standard melodies into multiple improvised creations, jazz is useful in expanding our conceptualization of the potential for Black people to recreate ourselves and our gender identities in a diasporic practice (Richardson 2013: 108)." By using jazz as an analytic, Kay demonstrates the ways in which jazz serves as both an epistemology and a vehicle for Black queer expression.

>black queer body
>queer expression
>transgender subjectivity
>>
>>12393460
billy tipton is an interesting human, but i ain't reading that shit. making him black and scottish lightens his deception of others, and whatever motivation he had for deceiving others.
>jazz is useful in expanding our conceptualization of the potential for Black people to recreate ourselves and our gender identities in a diasporic practice
did it read 'jazzy' to you, OP?
>>
Scotland is becoming like the new Sweden. I fucking hate Scotland and its aggressively matey politically correct leftism.
>>
>>12393524
Haven't read it yet as my course hasn't officially started, but it's second on the reading list, next to Virginia Woolf's 'Flush' which actually seems interesting...I really don't want to read Trumpet however
>>
>>12393460
Germinal
Memoirs from Beyond the Grave (last part only - who the fuck wants to read the last part? also not enough time to start with the beginning)
Philosophy Of Natural Science (Carl Hempel)
Otherwise than Being, or Beyond Essence
>>
>>12394038
Germinal is a brilliant novel though anon, though not as good as L'Assommoir
>>
>>12393460
>have you ever been forced to read
No, and neither have you apparently. Fucking nobook faggot
>>
>>12393460
>It chronicles the life and death of fictional jazz artist
>Inspired by the real life of jazz musician, Billy Tipton, a white American transgender male
why?
why not just write about the actual person? or the numerous actual jazz musicians who actually existed and could probably have some light shed on their stories instead?
>>
I was forced bro read Joyce in HS and that ruined it for me.

Shame, some of his stuff seemed interesting.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.