[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1520800609698.png (982 KB, 850x1158)
982 KB
982 KB PNG
How real are "mental effects" of HRT anyway? Do they exist for non-passers? I've seen people claiming euphoria after being just one week on HRT. I got literally nothing after more than a year, and I got attacked for saying it, because apparently it makes me "fake trans", even though the perspective of going off HRT horrifies me. Are mental effects just placebo or something that simply does not happen to everyone?
>>
Looks like youre not trutrans, hon
>>
>>11539695
Hons are saying those things because they've had a lot of masculunization and testosterone. Personally for the entire year there was almost nothing. After 2 years it was better, and now after 3 finally there are some.
>>
before i started hrt i was really close to killing myself and i was a depressed wreck with no self esteem and my anxiety was through the roof.
i got on hrt as i didnt really see another "way out" and i must say that it helped alot. im finally able to focus and think clearly and my depression is alot weaker than it used to be. just the thought of getting more feminine helps alot.
>>
>>11539756
this i constantly wanted to die when i thought i was a boy now that im a girl i feel life has meaning
>>
I don't pass, I'm still completely alone, I don't have any support, family is disappointed, will always be perceived as male by strangers and surgeries are unattainable for me. How are some micrograms of estradiol in my bloodstream supposed to make me feel good?
>>
I dunno. I mean I felt a lot better after I started HRT but I think that was just from knowing T is gone and E is here to stay.
>>
It helped with my depression a a few x more than SSRIs ever did
>>
>>11539756
>>11539790
t. prepassers that get to keep passing
>>11539795
this
>>
>>11539695
I personally always got this weird warm like body euphoria and love for everything every time I start estrogen after stopping for awhile it usually goes away after like a month then I just feel normal it’s weird and I have no idea why it happens
>>
There's a lot of relief in knowing things aren't getting any worse
Idk how long it took exactly but 3y in I can't imagine life without it, I can't see how I survived before with that shit. I was constantly angry, anxious, on edge, all for no understandable reason and no specific target. All that's gone; although I still get those emotions they're at least understandable and directed toward something concrete and sensible, and they aren't a total state of being.
Other mental changes I think are transition related rather than strictly hrt related
>>
>>11539795
I'm pretty much in the same boat, but 3 months on spiro & estradiol I feel less anxious, less hopeless, like everything is less difficult. I can actually function like this.
>>
>>11540481
I felt the same during the first months, then I returned to my original depressed and full hopelessness state. I could have avoided falling into depression again if I had some sort of emotional support, but being an avoidant loner does not help. I hope it goes well for you.
>>
>>11539795
>>11540564
This the truest shit i was happy and hopeful at first but it all went away cuz i'm never gonna pass and be a lone freak for the rest of my life
>>
Going to have to join in the club of less depression, less anxiety, less anger, and just overall happier. It has even given me confidence that I didn't have before. And I realized that I will pass in a much shorter time than I thought. Hell before starting I was convinced that I was utterly manly and chadly, but now I realize just how feminine I've always been, both in personality and appearance. Literally nothing has gotten worse since starting. Unless you count having to clean my house and take care of myself as a bad thing, because I would never do those things before due to depression, and thought of them as a chore. But now I'm happy to see things clean and nice and pretty like they should be. And I love seeing myself doing things to better myself and see to my health, instead of just drinking and loathing.
>>
>>11540779
>I will pass
This seems to be the common denominator.
>>
>>11539695
>Are mental effects just placebo or something that simply does not happen to everyone?
They are definitely mostly placebo. You are feeling better because you're doing something to fix your gender dysphoria.
>>
>>11540564
>>11540628
I think that I could slip into this but I'm just doing by best to not give up hope. Honestly I have no idea if I'll ever pass despite being a few months on hormones, so all I can really do is hope for the best and keep working towards transition.

Being the way I was pre-HRT felt so terrible and after feeling happy I'm terrified of feeling that way again.
>>
>>11539790
This was a big factor for me as well, before I started transitioning I literally couldn't picture myself five years in the future because I just assumed (hoped) that I'd die in some painless accident or something. Now I actually have a desire to live and better myself since I don't have a bleak outlook anymore
>>
>>11541030
But yeah, that's the same attitude that I had about myself before starting. It was a big source of the depression. But once I got started that faded away quickly. I got over the notion that I had to be "hot" and realized that I will pass as a woman, but I'll have to settle for pretty or average. And that still makes me happy, because I want to be a woman, not eye candy, or someone's prize. I just want to be a woman.
>>
>I've seen people claiming euphoria after being just one week on HRT
AGPs bullshitting to try and seem more legitimate

anyone who claims to get "gender euphoria" is a literal spastic hon

I feel better on HRT, definitely, but I'm not like high on estrogen like those men claim to be
>>
http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2014/04/03/is-the-oculus-rift-sexist.html

>Over the next few years, I embarked on one of the strangest cross-disciplinary projects I’ve ever worked on. I ended up in a gender clinic in Utrecht, in the Netherlands, interviewing both male-to-female and female-to-male transsexuals as they began hormone therapy. Many reported experiencing strange visual side effects. Like adolescents going through puberty, they’d reach for doors—only to miss the door knob. But unlike adolescents, the length of their arms wasn’t changing—only their hormonal composition.

>Scholars in the gender clinic were doing fascinating research on tasks like spatial rotation skills. They found that people taking androgens (a steroid hormone similar to testosterone) improved at tasks that required them to rotate Tetris-like shapes in their mind to determine if one shape was simply a rotation of another shape. Meanwhile, male-to-female transsexuals saw a decline in performance during their hormone replacement therapy.

>Along the way, I also learned that there are more sex hormones on the retina than in anywhere else in the body except for the gonads. Studies on macular degeneration showed that hormone levels mattered for the retina. But why? And why would people undergoing hormonal transitions struggle with basic depth-based tasks?
>>
>>11539695
it makes you very very very want to have the boy fucked out of you by a big and masculine man with his cock :3
>>
File: 1516010441151.jpg (88 KB, 707x554)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>11544953
>>
>>11544595
So you become more stupid?
>>
If you haven't had the feeling of a full body orgasm as your two milligrams of estradiol absorb through your tongue, then you aren't trans.
>>
>>11544595

I don't want to lose my spatial rotation ability. Guess I can't get on hrt...
>>
Pre-HRT:
>depressed
>anxious
>suicidal episodes
>drugs (was clean 2 years prior to hrt)
>hated myself
>horrible body image
>severely underweight
>no ambition or energy
>thought I'd never pass
>*knew* I'd never tell my family
>thought I'd never pass and be accepted

Post-HRT:
>genuinely happy
>love myself and my body
>came out to my family
>super supportive sister/mom
>both helped convince me to start presenting female fulltime
>can go out in public without massive anxiety now
>manager to get a bf
>got a career
>even moved out and have a house to myself now at 21

There were 100% mental changes after starting HRT, but I imagine it was more so due to feeling "right"
>>
>>11544595
Could someone transition just for the biological differences? Without actually wanting to be a girl but if their job requires depth perception or whatever estrogen helps?
>>
>>11546432
HRT will not increase depth perception.

There are "femboys" who take HRT with a regimen that supposedly mininalizes breast growth so they can stay a twink (I think that's what they call themselves, sorry if its offensive I'm uncultured)
>>
>>11541711
this desu, I was planning on crashing my car on the interstate outside my town going 80 so everyone would think it was an accident
>>
>>11544595
>is-the-oculus-rift-sexist.html
I don't know, is it sexist that men are stronger than women or women have periods?

Although the conservatives and feminists/TERFs will probably use this to justify women continuing to have exclusive tournaments in chess and video games, because their hormones make them unable to compete with men. Funny how they'll still want trannies on HRT kept out though...
>>
>>11546111
reeeee why did my roastie whore mom and sister betray me
>>
>>11546559
What did they do anonette?
>>
>>11546559
Yeah what'd they do?

Like is I said I wouldnt be where I am now without them.

They helped me with
>bra shopping/proper fitting/sizing (thought I was an A cup, turns out I was a 32C)
>makeup
>emotional support
>helping convince me to present female fulltime when I was finally able to do so (took convincing because I still thought I couldnt pass, they disagreed)
>shopping with me
>etc
>>
>>11547465
>tfw no hot sister to help me get bra measurements
>>
>>11541352
nope not placebo. although I am a permahon
I used to be on patches for a month and only felt the euphoria of finally starting my transition in the first week with nothing after that
then i moved to sublingual pills and suddenly started experiencing these good moods and uncontrollable laughing fits consistently almost every time shortly after I take a dose. it comes when i'm not even expecting the laughter (although now I do expect because it happens so often), and it can happen with anything, although reading some of the bullshit on this board really gets the laughter going
it's obviously the large spike in E2 levels that sublingual administration gives that makes me feel this way. literally never felt a thing on patches, which of course give stable levels.

>>11540564
>>11540628
these are probably going to apply to me, since I'm a loner and only two months in and I feel like I lost a lot of my initial drive and motivation that I had from starting my transition. I could blame it on shitty holidays but that feels like a cop out. but I'm not going to stop transitioning just because I think I won't pass. I guess the demotivation has more to do with still being stuck in the same situation as I was before and not knowing how to pull myself out of it
>>
>>11547465
Fuck, my mom is on the verge of morbidly obese and can barely move around the house, even if I come out to her I'm never going to experience this. Oh and my sister lives halfway around the world and I'm estranged from her so that's that I guess
>>
>>11551059
your mom needs your help.
>>
So, I got a little drunk and I BECAME one of the anime girls that people always post here. I was just looking at my smooth legs and pretty painted toenails and giggling like crazy and rolling around on my bed haha. Like "OH MY GOD I REALLY AM A GIRL!!!" I was actually laughing almost like crazy person. It was the best euphoria I've had so far. I was a smiling ball of cuteness.
>>
>>11541711
>>11539790
A lot of this. I never assumed I'd be alive a year or two down the road and now I want to be even if things are still shit.
>>
File: 1540957006787.jpg (138 KB, 758x863)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Placebo, 100%. I mean, HRT has an obvious mental effect in relieving dysphoria, and that in turn is gonna help a lot of trans people improve their lives, which makes them feel even better. But I don't think the meds have any direct physiological effect on your mind.
I'm soon gonna be a year in and I didn't get any mental change whatsoever. I'm a late transitioner and HRT has very little effect on me. I've resolved to permaboymode and am pretty much not changing anything about my life except taking the meds. I'm a depressed lonely NEET. The fact my state of mind isn't changing is proof that this kinda stuff is caused by other factors and not HRT itself I think.
>>
>>11547465
Different anon, but please appreciate what you have. I really wish I could have this but now I'm pretty much forced to move out or suffer deadnaming driving me to depression
>>
>>11539695
Just knowing that I wasn't getting more masculine calmed me down immensely. I saw an increase in average exam score of over 20 points as a result.
>>
>>11539795
You've already given up. Of course you're miserable dumbass.
>>
My depression/anxiety went almost completely away after a few weeks. I'm extremely maternal and the thought of anything happening to my puppy makes me freak out. I'm happier in general. Recently I've wanted to carry around food for the homeless cause i see some in pittsburgh. Gonna donate some clothes soon. Life is as good as you make it.
>>
>>11550862
Dont turn it into a sexual thing

>>11552250
I di really appreciate it. Unfortunately it just so happens I got a house like 5 minutes from where she lives recently, and she is moving to a different city in 4 months for a job. So I only get this for so long, but at least I know they're supportive.
>>
>>11552448
Aw I'm sorry, try and appreciate them while you can I guess :(
>>
>>11552448
>Dont turn it into a sexual thing
why not?
>>
>>11552760
Yeah I'll take all the time I can get

>>11554863
Cuz it's weird
>>
>>11555152
i'm sexually deprived, projecting my incest fantasies on people with happy families is all i have

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.