[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Where is the threshold between artillery and small arms?
>>
I would say how big the round is which corresponds with how easy it is for a single person to carry, operate and provide ammo for without a crew
>>
>>41745586
Good question
>>
15mm
>>
According to the ATF anything over .50 BMG
>>
File: AIDS.png (13 KB, 704x404)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
I fell like it's the way it's used, a .22 could be artillery if you fire it straight up in a parabolic arc, the bullet would bounce around inside the skull and do more damage
>>
File: AP-1024x576.jpg (62 KB, 1024x576)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>41745688
>88
>>
File: P1020869999.jpg (46 KB, 902x483)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
What about this? It can be easily fired from hands, but it's power is comparable to mortar.
>>
>>41745988
Canister/grenade launcher. It is a destructive device.
>>
>>41745586
20 mm and bigger artillery
>>
>>41745586
Varies between militaries around the world. I've seen different distinctions based on caliber, like 15/20/25 mm, whether the weapon is man-portable or not, intended use, etc.
>>
>>41745586
It doesn't jump straight to artillery. You have to go through cannons and then small mortars before you get to artillery.
>>
>>41745586

I think it's more about direct versus indirect fire, right? Look at tanks. They have bigass guns on them but we don't call them artillery because they tend to fire at shit they can see, whereas artillery guns, mortars, etc are always shooting at shit indirectly.
>>
>>41745765
It Would literally be like throwing a pebble at someone. The bullets don't come back down nearly as fast as they went up.
>>
>>41747088
Aren't there something like half a dozen people a year killed by 9mm fired into the sky in celebrations?
>>
>>41747491
9mm is 4x heavier
>>
>>41747088
terminal velocity and shiet
I think longer and thinner projectiles would be more lethal coming back down, im imagining something like a 200 grain 5.56 bullet
>>
>>41747491
Completely different and it's like 4 injured not killed. When they kill it's because some idiot shot it at like 45 degrees and it's still on it's standard trajectory
>>
>>41748861
Being extremely generous a 5.56 round round would be going 150 MPH is 220 FPS. Assuming the bullet hit dead on and wasn't wobbling (lol this alone is 1/million) it would certainly hurt but most definitely not kill unless your a newborn
>>
>>41745586

Number of personnel required to move and service.

Two or three people are small arms/light weapons, four or more becomes artillery/heavy weapons.
>>
>>41745586
Indirect fire
>>
>>41747028
I agree with this. Direct vs indirect fire.
>>
At least by US law .50 Cal is as far as you can go but I think it's time to progress and say that 20mm is a small arms cartridge.
>>
>>41745586
>(a) “Small arms” are, broadly speaking, weapons designed for individual use. They include, inter alia, revolvers and self-loading pistols, rifles and carbines, sub-machine guns, assault rifles and light machine guns;

>(b) “Light weapons” are, broadly speaking, weapons designed for use by two or three persons serving as a crew, although some may be carried and used by a single person. They include, inter alia, general purpose or universal machine guns, medium machine guns, heavy machine guns, rifle grenades, under-barrel grenade launchers and mounted grenade launchers, portable anti-aircraft guns, portable anti-tank guns, recoilless rifles, man portable launchers of anti-tank missile and rocket systems, man portable launchers of anti-aircraft missile systems, and mortars of a calibre of less than 100 millimetres.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.