[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I have a question for Americans.
Why do they carry knives? I found that most Americans carry it on a certain website where everyone can post their EDC. Why do they carry for?
>>
>>40261765
Cause we can, unlike you "Oi!" types
>>
>>40261765
Knifes are a great tool. For my work, I use my knife every day, its a compact pocket folder from Walther, kinda tacticool looking, but it gets the job done and I appreciate being able to open it with one hand and especially the rubberized grip. Apart from work, it retains its utility, and is small enough to fit in a pocket. I imagine its many applications are useful to all nationalities, so I don't really get why you limited your question to Americans.

t. not-American
>>
>>40261765
“If you have pants on, you should have a knife in your pocket” - Grandpa

Knives are pretty utilitarian for a lot of jobs that people have. I’ve used the same knife in Masonry to cut bags that I have in Welding to scale and scratch metal.
>>
A knife is a tool.
It can also be a weapon.
Here in Georgia, USA a knife is not considered a weapon until the blade is over 5 inches long, 125mm approximately. Most of tge folding knives in the EDC threads are under 100mm blade length. If you have a Weapon Carry Permit, $75 for the background check fee, you can even carry a sword here. After all, if you can conceal carry a firearm, what extra risk isa knife? Georgia is also a Shall Issue, No duty to retreat, Castle Doctrine State. If you pass the criminal history investigation the State must issue the permit. If you are assaulted without provocation, you can repel the attacker with an equal level of force. Finally, if someone forces forces entry into your domicile, you can resist even with deadly force. A vehicle is also considered a temporary domicile.
FREE PEOPLE CAN DEFEND THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES
>>
>>40261765
Why not?
>>
>>40261765
>opens package
>breaks down box
>cuts up fruit and delicious kielbasa sausage
>can be used to pry open the tabs on drink cans if your fingernails were very recently clipped
>can wrap a cloth around it to clean in tight places like the gap between your wall and the baseboard
>cuts loose threads off clothes
>extremely sub-optimal, but better than nothing for self-defense
>also obviously useful for survival shit
>t. Canuckistan
>>
>>40261765
Extremely useful and so easy to carry you don't notice it.
And a worst case scenario defense weapon.
>>
>>40261765
I'll grant you that most EDC knives are bigger and more tactikool than they need to be, but people will express themselves through their choices. I stopped carrying my knife to work when I bought my Leatherman because my knife looks scary to customers, and honestly I almost never use the knife, I'll use a different tool. If I'm in a self defense situation I have a gun.
(The Leatherman has a knife so technically I'm still carrying one.)
>>
Thank you guys for your answers! Now I can understand the utility of knives. I’m a Japanese actually, and if I have a knives in my pocket without a clear reason, I will be frightened of people. envy!
>>
>>40261923
Think Korea was the same to. Which sucked cause we couldn't get the South Korean Marines to trade away their bayonets for that reason. Shame they were pretty cool
>>
>>40261812
Coolest grandpa ever
>>
>>40261765
because knives are very useful in a shitload of different scenarios. it's just very practical to carry one with you. open stuff, cut stuff, stab stuff. i never carried a knife, since enlistement i always carry.
>>
>>40261765
I carry a knife with a seat belt cutter built into it because I drive a lot for work. I'd rather have it on me every day than die trapped in my car after a crash. This is in addition to all the other utility reasons anons have posted. Pic related its my SOG. Tanto is nice and I find it easier to keep sharp, and the pocket clip attaching at the very back lets it sit deeper in my pocket. Most people don't even notice it.
>>
File: IMG_20190112_074824.jpg (3.78 MB, 3036x4048)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
>>40262028
Forgot Pic, I'm tarded
>>
>>40261765
not an american here, but there's plenty of reasons to carry a knife, and self defense is not one of the primary ones. Asking why people carry knives, is like asking why people carry phones.

It's just a shame how the urbanites here in europe made carrying them illegal almost everywhere, because immigrants and gypsies keep stabbing each other.
>>
I am so surprised to hear that it is quite common in foreign countries to have a knife. very interesting
>>
>>40262036
cool
>>
>>40262053
the more interesting question is; "why is it illegal to carry a knife in a lot of places?"

Knives can't be banned anywhere, as they're useful tools. But people somehow still think banning carrying them, makes people safer for some reason. Criminals out to do violence will keep carrying them. Law abiding citizens who's not out to do violence will not, even though they'd have lots of non-violent use for knives.

I borrowed my mom's car one day, in Europe, and noticed she had knives pretty much everywhere in that car. She's a farmer, so she's using those knives all the time. But if the cops stopped her, she'd get a fine of about €1000.

She won't stop keeping knives at hand, because they're useful tools, so I bought her some folding knives for christmas she can keep on her person, rather than in the car, because the cops won't frisk an old lady, but they will notice all those knives in the car if she's speeding.

Knife laws in most developed countries have gone fucking draconian, and they're not making people safer.
>>
>>40262092
also, I get that knives are illegal on planes. That makes sense, because that's a law that can be enforced. It's possible to search everyone entering a plane for knives. But it's not possible to search everyone leaving their house for a knife. That way, criminals keep carrying their knives, while regular people leave theirs behind. Which in turn makes knife laws even more draconian, as now the perception is the only people who carry knives in public, are criminals who want to stab someone.
>>
I carry for work, my job involves cutting lots of zip ties, electrical and gaff tape. Even outside of that, it's an incredibly useful tool for many different applications. I also usually have to walk through some unpleasant parts of town for some of the gigs I work, and having some means to defend myself gives me peace of mind.
>>
>>40262036
Yes you are tarded because glass breaker tips are ass. Just keep a window punch in your center console.
>>
>>40262203
>breaker tips are ass

no they're not. a lot of force and a small point of contact and glass breaks. why would they be "ass"?
>>
>>40262203
Knife doesn't have a glass breaker, i keep one in the car though. Might not be able to get to it if I'm trapped in my seat because belt is jammed.
>>
>>40262028
>>40262203
>>40262210
>>40262227

Gentlemen, after my electronic door lock went full commie and seized my means of propulsion, (my keys were still in the ignition, gg car) I used that chance to test out a window breaker of my ~40 buck pocket knife. The rear side window was scratched, the window breaker tip broke off, the rest of the knife was perfectly fine. I finished the job with a wrench. Window breaker tips on knifes are shit, use a sizeable rock or a wrench.
>>
>>40262340
seriously? actually sounds like you used it wrong, the tip has to hit the glass straight. i've broken a lot of windows in my life, from my experience anything small and pointy made of any kind of material can break a window instantly if you hit it with force. and straight. even wood works fine. you don't even need a designated glass breaker, using the bottom end of most knife grips is enough.

were your car windows made of acryl or something? were you driving a former police car?
>>
>>40262340
Sorry about your shit knife.
>>
>>40262368

I hit it straight on in the center of the glass. It didn't have a lot of mass though, its pretty light.
>>
>>40262373

Meh. IMO it is a lot to ask from a knife to both be easy to carry(light, compact) and whack shit with it. It lacked the mass at any rate, I shwacked the window full tilt, glass breaker or no, with a heavier object it would have been easy. But with a small knife? Better use a rock.
>>
just ordered this dood
>>
>>40262340
I locked myself out of my 90s pickup with a substantial steel door on it with the keys in the ignition. I used my Zero Tolerance 0909 to pry the bitch open about 1/2" to get a piece of banding in and liberate my pickup. ZTs and Spydercos are extremely good knives for the money and the one I have is particularly over built and quite possibly one of the strongest folding knives on the market to this day.
moral of the story, spend good money on tools you will depend on.
>>
>>40261765
>Why do they carry for?

Stabbing commies
>>
>>40261814

Tennessee has all these plus all edged weapons are legal to carry (incl. switchblades) and as a bonus it's not one election away from flipping blue because of a critical mass of [canadians] and carpetbaggers
>>
>>40261765
>Why do Americans and 90% of the rest of the planet carry a universally useful tool when they're out working
I cannot imagine being this insulated from reality.
>>
>>40262661
I just got a Twosun ts16 in d2 and g10. Sadly not titanium, but for $40 i wont complain.
>>
>>40262469
>It didn't have a lot of mass though, its pretty light.

Maybe you should lift more if you can't defeat a simple window
>>
>>40261765
I carry mine to cut open packages and food mostly. I also sometimes use it to dig shit out of my finger nails and cut off snags.I accumulate historical styles like opinel and higo no kami, so I also like carrying a peice of history with me. I also sometimes do light prying with mine. I think overtime everything will be pretty knifeless. For a lot of these people who drool and spend money on Sebenza's and the like, it's more jewelry and to fill that empty hole in their soul.
>>
>>40262340
That's strange. I've tested a few glass breakers on knives (legally, worked at a race shop and used glass that was unwanted by customers after we'd replaced their windows with polycarbonate) and found them very effective and easy to use, not requiring much more than the knife's own weight to shatter side window glass.
>>
>>40262469
>center of glass
You're supposed to hit the corners of the glass homie.
>>
>>40261765
>>40261765
whittling wood.
You should try it, its great. I know that the vast majority of people in the UK live in paces that are composed of cement and social housing where there are no sticks to whittle, or trees for that matter and you decorate your outdoor cement spaces with packs of illiterate Pakistani men instead so you don't understand.
>>
>>40261923
Isn't there a law that lets you carry a knife if it is under 8cm? Why don't you just carry a 肥後守? Surely people must appreciate this and the local police would become more understanding.I do and the way the blade swings around makes police chuckle because it almost looks like a cheap broken toy and not a deadly knife, which it isn't.

>>40261936
Aren't they just M7's? what's so cool about that?
>>
>>40262663
You shouldn't be prying with a folding knife, but hey when you gotta you gotta.Glad it worked and didn't snap or bend on you.
>>
File: crkt.jpg (447 KB, 1024x570)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>40261765
I carry knives, usually the middle two, because I work in a firearm-free zone.
>>
>>40265351
I know but the blade is .170' and the whole knife is .640" so it can take it, no damage to the steel and the ball bearings are still smooth as butter, this knife will likely outlast me.
>>
>>40265249
what? who says that?
>>
>>40261765
to do knife shit with, dumbass
>>
A man always leaves home with a knife in his pocket. I am partial to the leatherman style multitool.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.