[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: armson-o-e-g-sights-8.gif (56 KB, 640x464)
56 KB
56 KB GIF
Has anyone gotten to play around with an Armson OEG or a similar blindsight? I've been really fascinated with the idea behind them, but I can't really bring myself to drop $200 on an obsolete optic.

For those not in the know, it's basically a tritium & fiber lit red dot sight, but it isn't see through. You use both eyes to superimpose the dot on the target (similar in principle to an ACOG).
>>
File: 1545012044272.jpg (73 KB, 540x706)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>40260620
>You use both eyes to superimpose the dot on the target
>>
>>40260620
You can achieve the same thing with any red dot by leaving the front lens cap on.
FYI, the ACOG is designed for this as well.
The problem is eye fatigue when you're aiming that way for a prolonged period.
>>
File: oeg-concept-2.gif (278 KB, 962x702)
278 KB
278 KB GIF
>>40260650
See pic

>>40260692
Yeah, I've done it with several different red dots and it seems to work well. The main benefit for me would be not needing a battery without dropping $500 on a fancy dual illuminated sight. But that's offset by the Armson being $200 on its own.
>>
>>40260620
I don't know if companies are still making them due to all the Chinese red dot sights available today, but around 2010 companies were still making them and marketing them toward the paintball crowd. Reason being they were simpler and less likely to get damaged when they got shot than a cheap red dot sight. You could get them for under $50 at the time IIRC.
>>
Are there any decent 1x unpowered optics like this except not retarded?
>>
File: It's fuck.png (286 KB, 456x340)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>40260972
You're gonna have to define "not retarded"
>>
>>40260972
trijicon reflex is pretty decent, should be able to get the retro 1x24 for not much these days.
>>
>>40260620
>>40260935
On some looking since the OP made me curious, companies aren't making occluder sights for paintball use anymore and there doesn't seem to be much information about the ones that were made. Only one I can find the name of currently is the DYE Izon sight. You may be able to find some info about the cheaper options and where to find one used if you find a forum about paintball and ask there.
>>
>>40261028
As in you can actually fucking see through the sight.
>>
>>40260972
>unpowered
look at 1x prismatic scopes.
>>
File: seeall_ruger.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
See-all sights are basically the same concept, only miniaturized and chopped in half.
>>
>>40260972

vortex makes a 1x prism scope, its pretty ugly tho
>>
>>40260620
I used the trijicon-made armson oeg for about a decade. It worked well enough, at the time red dots were still pretty new, with mediocre battery life and were quite heavy, so the oeg was still viable despite its issues with phoria. Nowadays its utterly obsolete except for paintball and similar situations where the line of sight over the top of the barrel is obscured.
>>
File: 1547261674402.jpg (166 KB, 980x603)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>40260620
I wouldn't go with a dedicated one. I use my aimpoint in this way for home defense, and it's better contrast for the dot. The thing is, past about 30 feet, your poi is different from your poa. I don't remember the exact amount, but it gets significant. With a dedicated one, this might be lessened, but aside from cool factor, why choose this over a used aimpoint for 250?
>>
>>40260972
Trijicon reflex, meprolight m21. I dont think any military uses the trijicon officially, the meprolight m21 has been the issue reflex sight for the Israeli army for decades. The M21 is the only reflex sight I've found that doesnt cause problems with my astigmatism. I have one on my AR pistol set up for hurricane shtf duty, partly because its a solid piece of kit, and partly because the triangular reticle works well for precise shooting using the tip, or fast shooting using the entire triangle.
>>
>>40262703
>past about 30 feet, your poi is different from your poa.
That is a question of zero. The real problem is phoria. Normally your eyes are looking at the same thing so your brain keeps both eyes aimed at the same spot. When you obscure one of the eyes as with the OEG, the brain loses the visual feedback it needs to correct the eyes' aim, so the eye behind the OEG starts to drift, which makes the dot drift around. It takes a few seconds for this phoria error to build up, so as long as you are snap shooting you are fine. So if all you are doing is relatively close fast work then phoria isnt a problem. I shot mine in matches against guys with 1st gen aim points when they were shiny and new, and we shot comparably. But you arent gonna settle in prone and hit a raghead 300m away with an oeg, whereas you can with a regular reflex sight.
>>
File: sweeper.jpg (1.2 MB, 1920x1080)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
They're surprisingly capable.
>>
>>40260620
They are truly only sighted in for one range due to the occluded-eye nature of their design.. While they work for paintball (and yes, I played with one) and are surprisingly tough, they are a generation or more behind a current Aimpoint.

If I got one for free or cheap, yeah, I might put one on my paintball gun, but there's better choices.
>>
>>40262763
Makes sense, I have it zeroed as a red dot, using it cap down just lets me keep it at a lower setting and get the same contrast for quick use. So if I were to sight it in, cap on, it should be capable out to the same distances as using it as a red dot? You just get more eye fatigue?
>>
File: ucwOFQh.jpg (1.59 MB, 5312x2988)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
I love mine, just a pain to zero.
>>
>>40260620
Honestly recommend you look into the see all open sight. I don't know if it's my eyes, but to focus it I have to focus on the target and the sight is clear, if I focus on the reticle, the reticle blurs. I really like it for plinking/squirrel/rabbit because I like focusing on the target. It will obstruct some vision, but less than that.

It's less expensive, or close to the same price if you get the tritium night sight
>>
>>40260620
I had one 20 years ago when they were still fairly cool.

They're pretty light
They're pretty tough (get the other model though, the one where the body extends around the fiber)

There are a couple of significant issues with them though, both of which are due to needing both eyes to use them.

When taking a corner you have to expose your whole head in order to get line of sight from both eyes. You expose yourself much more than with a conventional reflex sight.

In low light you can't keep an eye closed to protect your night vision. The first flash of white light and you lose your night vision in both eyes and now can't see shit and can't use Armson because it's very dim when on tritium only.
>>
>>40265444
>get the other model though, the one where the body extends around the fiber
Pic related

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.