[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
https://4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
https://mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
https://pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
>>>/t/language

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Wuhan dialect
>What language should I learn?
Namibian Black German

Old thread: >>118106296
Old challenge: >>118106718
>>
>>118212183
The only language I speak is BBCeese
>>
>>118212239
west african pidgin english?
>>
I learn latin on https://www.memrise.com/, goal is to speak with pope in latin and shame him because of his vocabulary
>>
Remember to practice speaking so that when a qt native speaker of your target language asks you to demonstrate what you've learned from studying for two years, you don't struggle to introduce yourself.
>>
sveiki ko tu dari?
vai tev patīk latvija?
>>
>some languages lack "the"
Its literally caveman speak
Imagine "I go to store" being proper
>>
>>118212996
>Noooo languages are not allowed to be different from English! They all must obey the same rules otherwise I can't understand it!
>>
>>118212996
and yet the meaning of the sentence is resoundingly clear you twat of a humbug. it's people like you espousing the "purity" of our quite-clearly-and-really mutt language that I can't wait for the rest of the people here to deride you into earth. fuck off
>>
>>118213085
you're one to talk, Himmler. there's a difference between having one or two articles for "the," but it's entirely and horribly another to have not one, not two, but at least TEN different articles for various things

der - masculine nom.
die - feminine/plural nom.
das - neuter nom.
den - masculine acc.
dem - masculine/neuter dat.
der - feminine dat.
des - masculine oh fucking hell i'm stopping here

asshole.
>>
>>118213172
I have no fucking idea why you're bringing this up. What does the German language have anything to do with this you butthurt burger?
First you complain about a language having NO articles and how that's caveman speak and now you complain about too many articles because it's too complex and "horrible". I'm unsure if you're the right person to learn foreign languages if you're seething about simple differences to the English language left and right.
>>
Remember to not give trolls any attention.
>>
>>118213235
don't reply to him, he's a mental midget
>>
>>118213235
for the record, lustige person, i'm not the one who was originally complaining about the aforementioned absence of articles in certain languages; however, i think the excessive presence of articles in yours really undermines the fluidity with which I generally learn languages; not even latin competes with you in the abject complexity and willfully-difficult mindbodysoulfuckery of your language--I wouldn't even call root canals as painful as spending a day in your language, goethe
>>
>>118202769
What language is it?
>>
>>118213525
Capparian
>>
>>118212183
Question for non-native English speakers. What was the hardest thing in English for you to learn?
>>
>>118213567
i'm a native but I can answer it for you just based on the experiences I've had--articles, articles, articles. basically, when to use them, how to use them, and for what purposes. articles are so intuitive to us as mother-womb-connected-speaking users of the language that we tend to forget that articles straddling the line between "the" and "a/an" are quite confusing considering that "the" actually (here's the trick) generally names something that was already mentioned before in the sentence or that's clear to the reader. that's why if I went out and just talked about the car in this paragraph, any native speaker would get quite bamboozled. but if I start out with "a car" then it's fine, because the "a" there just talks about a general, non-specific car. and then now I can move on to talking about "the car" that I just mentioned, without any kind of jarring, car-into-department-store-window-crashing transition
>>
>>118213567
Pronunciation and spelling. Still need to look up words almost daily to make sure I spelled them right. Or should I say spelt? :^)
>>
>>118214045
spelt
only y*nks say spelled
>>
>>118214045
Everybody has troubling with spelling even natives, we should really update our spelling desu
>>
>>118214081
I mix BE and AE all the time desu. Bad habit of mine.
>>
>>118213567
I'd also say it's articles that nearly drove me crazy when I first started learning English. They made no sense to me, and I couldn't understand why they use it and what kind of meaning they add and what kind of difference they made, like the difference between car/a car/the car. My native language, Korean, doesn't have articles so it was really hard to grasp the purpose, meaning and usage of them. There were bunches of books that tried to explain it but they didn't help much. The best they could do was just describing when to use which articles, which still didn't make sense to me. Well, I'm nowhere near being good at English even now so there are a lot more things that frustrates me when learning english, but still I'm certain articles are the most difficult thing. I think other Asian people feel the same way such as Japanese and Chinese.
>>
absolutely devastating when you don't touch anki for a week. i literally have to reset my progress because i remember nothing.
>>
>>118214766
>i literally have to reset my progress because i remember nothing
Imagine your reviews are "new" cards that you remember a few of. Why would you reset your progress?
>>
Imagine being on page nine
>>
>>118214766
Its quicker to re learn than to learn the first time
>>
>>118215647
Thanks Russiabro
>>
Goodnight /lang/
>>
>>118212996
我之於店 it's literally chinese lmao
>>
How's my German?

The ocean had been getting very hot. But the rivers were dangerous.
I’ve heard that there’s no food in the rivers,” said Alice. “And what will you do if the mouth of the river freezes? There is no way out. Nemo, you’d be trapped.”
“I have to try,” replied Nemo. “It’s so hot here. Sometimes I have the feeling that I’m boiling.”

> Der Ozean war sehr heiß geworden. Aber die Flüsse waren gefährlich.
> „Ich habe gehört, dass es in den Flüssen kein Essen gibt“, sagte Alice. „Und was machst du, wenn die Flussmündung gefriert? Es gibt keinen Ausweg. Nemo, du wärst gefangen.“
> „Ich muss es versuchen“, antwortete Nemo. "Es ist hier so heiß. Manchmal habe ich das Gefühl, ich koche.“
>>
>>118213567
verb tenses and articles
>>
>>118212183
Anybody have good recs for old english? Got beowulf and my goal is the read the oe script but I want to learn the language as well.
>>
How you do say
>When I afro jack I finger my asshole
in your target language
>>
I need reasons to boost my will to learn Russian. anyone? what made you learn Russian?
>>
>>118217282
HAVING AN ACTUALLY GOOD REASON TO
GOD SHUT THE FUCK UP WE ARE NOT YOUR SELF-HELP GROUP OR LIFE COACH, WE ARE HERE FOR LINGUISTIC SHIT NOT PEP TALKS
GET A FUCKING LIFE OR ACTUALLY LEARN TO SUFFER FOR ONCE IN YOUR PATHETIC WORM LIFE!!
>>
>>118217326
take your meds
>>
>>118217378
fuck off and die stupid negrillo
>>
>>118217282
>what made you learn Russian?
high school
>>
>>118213172
Having lots of articles is nothing out of the ordinary.

Don't complain because English dropped so much, so that the colonised would be able to pick it up faster.
>>
>>118216612
Identifiable as non-native speaker.

I recommend reading more and consuming German media.
>>
>>118213520
You got pleb filtered. The cases and articles work very well if you know them.
>>
>>118214145
>we should really update our spelling
If we do then we lose the etymology. We have gone too far towards universal assimilation unless we are going to cull and start over.
>>
>>118217754
ok any suggestions for making my text more natural?
>>
boomp
>>
>>118212183
I reckon this tome would be a useful additon to our Library.
>>
How old is /lang/? Who created it?
>>
What is a good resource to learn russian
>>
>>118218012
In general? Learn whole sentences too, to get a feel for it. Phrases, expressions, ...

(Though to read stuff, you probably need to know way more vocabulary (& expressions) than if you only had to speak.)

(In German sentences are not as short, and often combined into main sentence & sub sentence. I don't remember the details. This might help:
https://usaerklaert.wordpress.com/2006/10/08/plain-english-fur-komplizierte-deutsche/
"Plain English"-style vs German-as-taught.)
>>
bump
>>
my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife
>>
>>118219816
I actually meant specificly in my text....
>>
>>118213567
Pronunciation was, and still is, the hardest part for me. Every now and then there is a random word that's pronounced nothing like it's spelt and it trips me up.
Also, it might not be that bad in retrospect, but learning irregular English verbs as a kid was a pain. Repeating dig dug dug, cut cut cut and go went gone ad nauseum clearly wasn't the funniest part about learning a new language.

>>118196164
Je suis un normand avec un proxy estonien.
>>
>>118219738
2,500 years old. the ancient Greeks created it
>>
>>118212805
Taip, bet kų kalba keistoka.

Did you understand any of it?
>>
>>118226133
>Helios called Sophos a faggot for wanting to learn Latin
Not much has changed since then
>>
why is the american still here seething
>>118223530
basado chinoposteador
>>
>>118214145
>>118218012
its gonna be really fucking hard to convince everyone to change the way they spell, not to mention which dialect would you use as a basis? youre either gonna end with a bunch of people mad their dialect isnt the basis, or every country's writing being unintelligible to the others
also english spelling works mostly fine for people who are accustomed to it and if we switched we would have to rewrite hundreds of years' worth of literature. not worth it
>>
>>118217245
>afro jack
tf does this mean??
>>
>>118212391
learn classical latin to fucking mog his ecclesiastical ass
>>
>>118213525
Catalan
>>
>>118227107
manifest destiny i guess
>>
>>118212996
Bad english is the true lingua franca of today.
Also:
>What? Cases? I just add "s" to the end when talking about many, that will do!
>>
>>118230966
don't reply to him, he's either baiting or extremely ignorant and refuses to learn
>>
>>118219787
Pasted from an earlier thread:
>Duolingo
Good for familiarizing yourself with the sentence structure and introducing new vocabulary. Phone app is also good for a quick practice session if you're on the go and don't have time to study.
>Memrise
Go for the Russian 1 course that is created by Memrise. The course focuses on knowing phrases and words that you will need if you ever visit Russia. It is from the perspective of a tourist basically. Also good for introducing basic vocabulary and for repetition.
>Lingvist
Good at introducing common phrases and some idioms. A good vocabulary booster too.
>LingQ
Freemium but not bad for listening exercises.
>Forvo
Indispensable tool for pronunciation.
>Russian Gram
http://russiangram.com/?r
Tells you where the stress is located in words. You can use this to inform your pronunciation too.
>Cooljugator
https://cooljugator.com/run
A tool that displays noun declensions and verb conjugations with examples. Highly useful.
>https://learnrussianstepbystep.com/en/russian-grammar-charts/russian-declension-chart/
This is a declension chart
>http://www.russianlessons.net/grammar/pronouns.php
This is a pronoun declension chart
>Youtube
Be sure to consume Russian media. Be it songs, movies, or youtube videos. I would recommend this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCklUqFEcJqFnWKEBozw5p4g
He creates videos where he talks about a certain topic like a mobile phone or a computer and introduces you to their vocabulary.
>Writing
Writing is very important! Write down all the sentences and words you encounter during your studying. Remember to also draw things and write down their name next to them (good for memory retention). Here is a free cursive letter practice sheet:
https://storage.googleapis.com/ll-app/docs/ru/Russian%20cursive%20writing%20practice%20sheet.pdf

The only thing missing from this list would be my textbook and finding someone you can talk to. You need to find someone to talk to.
>>
File: Tuscan Raider Alphabet.jpg (104 KB, 1600x1236)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Am I just retarded or do all of these look the same?
>>
>>118232585
With time your eyes will be able to differentiate them better, but you're not mistaken in thinking that they do look similar. A lot of these letters are the same except for the dot placement.
>>
>>118232585
Just rep all of them on Anki for 2 hours and you'll be set for life
>>
>>118232585
just wait til you try to study the other 3 forms
>>
How difficult is Hebrew?
>>
>>118219787
I like the course from Russia Today:
http://learnrussian.rt.com/
>>
>>118231909
>Indispensable tool for pronunciation.
Wiktionary is also very good, as it includes IPA transcriptions (and other useful information such as phonetic respellings in some cases), and so it shows you what you're supposed to be hearing, rather than simply what you're able to hear with your gaijin ears.
>>
>>118234699
>>Indispensable tool for pronunciation.
>Wiktionary is also very good, as it includes IPA transcriptions (and other useful information such as phonetic respellings in some cases), and so it shows you what you're supposed to be hearing, rather than simply what you're able to hear with your gaijin ears.
Yes, absolutely. Sometimes we subconsciously convert foreign sounds to familiar sounds in our mind and that ruins our pronunciation. Wiktionary is also important for etymology.
>>
File: Biblia.jpg (259 KB, 938x1250)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>118234246
ez pz
>>
>>118234246
>>118235862
and cursive
p.s compare to arabic alphabet
>>118232585
I think it's much easier, letters are almost mirrored English
real issue for non Semitic speakers are the guttural sounds they can't seem to make
>>
>>118214678
>I'm nowhere near being good at English
Your entire post is almost indistinguishable from native english
>>
Anki or SuperMemo?
>>
do I study spanish or differential equations today
>>
>>118236894
Espanol mi amigo es importante.
>>
anki just called my sweet ass out for making a bunch of little decks rather than using tags
ok, is there a way to "dissolve" the small (sub)decks I made into their larger parent deck without deleting all of the cards?
>>
>>118213520
German has 3 and a half cases with 3 grammatical genders and a separate plural declension.
Latin has 6-7 cases with 3 grammatical genders (each with their own plural declension) distributed over 5 declensions.
so shut up Mutt, you've got no idea what you're talking about.

on a less cynical note, what's the matter with a couple of case endings. By gaining some complexity you're now able to arrange your words in any order you'd like.
Seems like a worthwhile trade-off to me. In any case(heh), 4 cases don't really compare to Tsez's 64, so stop whining
>>
>>118213567
that you don't all devoice coda obstruents/ that obstruent voicing in coda positions isn't strictly allophonic
pronunciation apart from that was really easy for me.
So I guess accumulating a wide range of vocabulary and phrases.
>>
whats the fucking point
I have social anxiety
I don't even talk to anyone in fucking english
>>
>>118239519
can you give an example of that?
>>
>>118240644
If you speak in a foreign language people will assume your oddities are just due to cultural differences and being bad at the language
>>
I want to learn an European Language and an Asian one, which one do you recommend?
>>
>>118241339
Russian, Japanese
>>
>>118241339
basque and kazakh
>>
>>118241339
finnish
>>
>>118236894
Estudia ecuaciones diferenciales en español
>>
>>118241419
Isn't russia an asian cunt since 3/4 of it's land is in asia?
>>
>>118242082
It is, but its closest relatives (Ukranian, Belarusian) are spoken in Eastern Europe, and it's got quite a few Greek/Latin loanwords, so it's not exactly all that Asian.
You wouldn't call Spanish a South American language or English an East African language, would you?
>>
>>118242285
I never acknowledge spaniards, so maybe. But I get your point
>>
Bump
>>
>join language learning server
>there is only one native active
>most are speaking in english all day like complete retards
>i am the only one there wanting to learn
fuck this. at least my language has a god tier dictionary
>>
>>118240804
Sure, but some terminology first.
A coda is the end of a syllable. i'LL capitaliSE the coda oF eaCH woRD foR a seNteNCE oR two. noTE thaT noT aLL woRDS/ syLLabLS neeD to haVE a coda.
also, keep in mind that what counts as a coda and what does not depends on your particular dialect, so you might disagree with some of the codas I marked above.

Obstruents, for our purposes, are any sounds that aren't m, n, ng(as in sing), w, l, r, and y(as in yes).
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruent and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonorant for more detail.

Voicing is when you vibrate your vocal folds and is also the difference between b and p (e.g. in bet, pet) or f and v (e.g. fan and van), among others.
Devoicing, then, is simply taking any voiced sound and, by devoicing it, pronouncing it without voice(voiceless)

Thus: In German, the word "Tag"(day) is pronounced along the lines of "Tahk", while "Tage"(days) is pronounced "Tah-ge". "Band"(ribbon, string) is pronounced "Bahnt"
while "Bänder"(ribbons, strings) is pronounced "Behn-de" (I give up: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/De-B%C3%A4nder.ogg).
b, g, v, and other "voiced obstruents" simply don't appear in syllable codas, so I had difficulties pronouncing them when I first learnt English.
However, in English, they do. Think of the difference between "had" and "hat" or "back" and "bag.

This was especially devious since it's subtle enough that natively German-speaking English teachers themselves didn't know or notice, nor would native English speakers.
>>
>>118244737
which language?
>>
>>118244946
It is small so I can't reveal it sorry
Point is, I think it's useless to speak English with people in a space dedicated to learning of a language, since then you won't get as much practice.
>>
>>118244902
>Thus: In German, the word "Tag"(day) is pronounced along the lines of "Tahk", while "Tage"(days) is pronounced "Tah-ge". "Band"(ribbon, string) is pronounced "Bahnt"
>while "Bänder"(ribbons, strings) is pronounced "Behn-de" (I give up: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/De-B%C3%A4nder.ogg).
>b, g, v, and other "voiced obstruents" simply don't appear in syllable codas, so I had difficulties pronouncing them when I first learnt English.
>However, in English, they do. Think of the difference between "had" and "hat" or "back" and "bag.

Russian does exactly this, all voice consonants have voiceless counterparts and all consonants are voiceless when they are at the end of a word. I wonder how common de-voicing consonants is in other languages, and how many Russians struggle with pronouncing voiced consonants at the end of words.
>>
>>118245248
what about Egyptian Arabic?
Did you have difficulties learning how to pronounce p or g as Standard Arabic doesn't have them
Was r difficult to learn?
>>
File: PeepoCheer2.png (19 KB, 112x112)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>118244737
Join the /lang/ server instead and meme with us.
>>
>>118244902
lol, I know what codas and voicing are (I'm the anon from the other day recommending Peter Ladefoged), I just had a brainfart and thought you meant english had devoicing, but thanks for the explanation
>>
>>118246308
innbjodslenke?
>>
>>118244902
even harder for austrians since we even have devoiced the z sound as well that occurs in standard German. I had to train my ears for quite some time until I was able to hear the difference between z and s
>>
>>118246347
Vi har fått in många psykfall som spammar skit, så den är inte offentlig. Breva namn#siffror så kan jag DM:a dig en länk.
>>
>>118246483
torer ikkje faavae
om du brever namn so kan eg dma deg
>>
>>118213567
It is not hard, english is easy, everything about it is easy.
>>
>>118246326
>that you don't all devoice coda obstruents
should be
>that you don't devoice all coda obstruents
I really should reread the entirety of a sentence when I mess with some wordings within a sentence
>lol, I know what codas and voicing are
Whom did I write all of those paragraphs for then? D:
>I'm the anon from the other day recommending Peter Ladefoged
But I'm not the anon you recommended him to. As they seem to be at least tangentially related to linguistics, which I like, mind telling me what he is about?
>>
>>118246369
Aren't all obstruents devoiced in southern German?
From what I've heard, southern dialects have fortis-lenis pairs, not voiced-unvoiced pairs
>>
>>118246569
Eh, pallar inte. Var rask innan någon annan tar den. :^)
https://discord.gg/cdZT2n
>>
>>118246326
>>118246660
>Peter Nielsen Ladefoged was a British linguist and phonetician
Did he write a nice book or something?
>>
>>118232585
t. dbqp
>>
So is no one making challenges anymore?
>>
>>118246721
hm maybe, my linguistic knowledge is pretty shallow and I mostly looked into it to improve my English accent so that's just what I noticed
>>
>>118246660
he wrote a bunch of books about phonetics (A Course in Phonetics and The Sounds of the World's Languages are the ones I've peeped), very useful stuff
>>
>>118237019
¡Si, yo necesito a hablar Español!
>>
>>118246898
You could make one, Nathan Zhang
>>
>>118246125
>The sound “g” like great does not exist in standard Arabic. Note : There are certain dialects that have it, for example the in Egyptian and Sudanese dialect, people pronounce the letter ج as a “g” instead of a “j”.
>Was r difficult to learn?
I was taught English at a very young age so pronouncing "P" and the untrilled "R" was never an issue, although if you listen to me closely you might hear a few trilled "R's". "V" also doesn't exist in Arabic but many people who have had no English education can pronounce these letters just fine due to exposure via electronics and social media.
>>
>>118247118
ah, okay
>>
>>118247118
you're the anon who talked abt phonetics the other day anon? what book do you recommend for a beginner who knows nothing abt the subject? will i be able to learn pronunciation this way?
>>
>>118247592
I made the last two challenges. Someone else do it now
Also not Zhang
>>
>>118248037
for a basic introduction perhaps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uZam0ubq-Y, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4A5bXi2Dw
and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLduA6tsl3gygfiWmGAhhHb4-HAqP6I63l 2-7 and 9 might suffice
>>
>>118212183
>>118248121
Thread challenge

>Easy
My mom's the best.

I want to eat human meat.

Your car is worthless.

>Medium
You'll neither become a pirate nor a cosmonaut.

I came by but you weren't there.

I'll try to convince him.

>Hard
None would have guessed the cruel twist of fate that would occur that night.

If it weren't for me you wouldn't have been able to achieve the goals the company set for you.

It'll be a piece of cake, just you watch: I'll be back before you know it!
>>
>>118249014
>Facile
Ma mère est la meilleure.
Je veux manger la viande humaine.
Ta voiture est sans valeur.

>Moyen
Tu ne vas pas devenir un corsaire ni un cosmonaute.
Je suis passé mais tu n'étais pas là.
Je vais essayer de le convaincre.

>difficile
Personne n'aurait deviné que le coup du sort cruel aurait lieu cette nuit.
Si c'était pas pour moi, tu n'aurais pas été capable d'atteindre les objectives que l'entreprise a fixé pour toi.
Ca sera un joue d'enfant, juste regarder: Je serai de retour avant que tu le saches.
>>
>>118249014
Mater mea optima est
Volo carnem humanam edere
Autocurrus tuus vilis est

Eris neque pirata neque quidem cosmonauta
Adveni at non adfuisti
Conabor eum suadere

Nemo invenisset ominosum illa nocte facturum
Opem tibi non tulissem, munera tibi ab administratione imposita non adeptus esses
Erit facillimum, mira modo: revertar priusquam animadvertes.
>>
>>118248037
A Course in Phonetics and The Sounds of the World's Languages are the ones I've peeped, they give a good overview, but I have had to complement it with a ton of youtube videos and forvo recordings (the first book supposedly comes with a CD but I, ahem, acquired it through legally dubious means)
>>
Bump
>>
File: 1452642597081.jpg (5 KB, 214x163)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>
File: 1570027004971.png (488 KB, 892x481)
488 KB
488 KB PNG
Does anyone know of some cool Cantonese songs with clear vocals to listen to?
Please no hiphop/rap stuff.
>>
>>118248121
Fácil
>My mom's the best.
A minha mãe é a melhor
>I want to eat human meat.
Quero comer carne humana
>Your car is worthless.
Teu carro é inútil
Médio
>You'll neither become a pirate nor a cosmonaut.
Não vais ficar um pirata nem astronauta
>I came by but you weren't there.
Passei mas não estiveste lá
>I'll try to convince him.
Vou tentar convencer-lhe
Difícil
>None would have guessed the cruel twist of fate that would occur that night.
Ninguém adivinharia a mudança de destino cruel que aconteceria aquela noite
>If it weren't for me you wouldn't have been able to achieve the goals the company set for you.
Se não fosse por mim, não terias atingir os objetivos que a companhia mandou te
>It'll be a piece of cake, just you watch: I'll be back before you know it!
Será uma peça de bolo(is there a better saying?), só assista: vou voltar antes do que tu sabes!
>>
>>118249014

>>Easy
>My mom's the best.
Mater mea optima.
Carnem humanam ēsse volo.
>Your car is worthless.
Autocinetum tuum nihil est.
>>Medium
Nec pirata nec cosmonauta fies.
Ivi sed aberas.
Ei persuadere conabor.
>>Hard
Neque quisquam divinare poterat crudelem fortunae versationem illa nocte fieri.
>If it weren't for me you wouldn't have been able to achieve the goals the company set for you.
Sine me nullo modo confecisses quod societas a te postulavit.
>It'll be a piece of cake, just you watch: I'll be back before you know it.
Perfacile erit, tantum vide: redibo quam citissime.
>>
>>118212183
want to learn Italian, need resources.
>>
>>118256157
Have you tried watching Mazinger Z and some other dank 1970s super robot/sf anime dubbed into Italian?
What about watching pasta-making videos?
>>
>>118249014
>>Easy
>My mom's the best.
ἡ ἐμὴ μήτηρ ἀρίστη ἐστίν.
σαρκά γε ἀνθρώπειαν ἐσθίειν βούλομαι.
>Your car is worthless.
ἡ σὴ ἅμαξα κακή ἐστίν.
>>Medium
οὔτε πειρατὴς οὔτε κοσμοναύτης γενήσῃ.
ἔλθον μέν, σὺ δὲ ἐκεῖ οὐ πάρησθα.
πείθειν αὐτὸν ἐπιχειρήσω.
>>
>>118246483
What could you on a language learning Discord, besides exchanging gossip with the "girls"?
>>
Can a Russian flag explain the difference between "вмecтe“ and "вдвoём", please?

I looked both up on wiktionary, both are adverbs, both mean together, both, etc. I'm having trouble understanding when one is used over the other.

Here is the phrase I encountered the words in: "Bдвoём ocтaлиcь вмecтe в лoдкe"
>>
>>118226337

no because I studied latvian for a few hours so far and lithuanian for only five minutes
>>
>>118256157
Literally just read the OP. If you can't do something as simple as that, I don't think you can learn a language. sorry.
>>
>>118235862
What about the grammar?
>>
>>118257673
Bмecтe = together
Bдвoём = the two of us
If there are more than 2, you obviously can’t use вдвoём
>>
>>118257673
Bдвoём Is for exactly TWO people together
вмecтe is just together in general, so
>Bдвoём ocтaлиcь вмecтe в лoдкe
Translates to
>The two stayed together in boat
>>
>>118249014
Лёгкий
Moя мaть — лyчшaя.
Я хoчy ecть мяco мyжики.
Tвoя мaшинa — никчёмный.

Cpeдний
Tы никoгдa нe cтaнeшь ни пиpaтoм, ни кocмoнaвтoм.
Я зaхoдил, нo ты тaм нe былo.
Я пocтapaюcь yбeдить eгo.
>>
>>118249983
>Conabor eum suadere
Cum recta sit sententia, tamen censeo verbum "suadeo" saepissime cum dativo personae dicendum esse.
>>
>>118258700
>Я хoчy ecть мяco мyжики.
It does sound natural but it means a different thing: “I want to eat meat, guys”. Human meat = чeлoвeчecкoe мяco
Since we are talking food here you could also put мяco in partitive: я хoчy cъecть/пoecть чeлoвeчecкoгo мяca.

>Tвoя мaшинa — никчёмный.
Hикчёмнaя

>Я зaхoдил, нo ты тaм нe былo.
Teбя тaм нe былo. Tы is not a subject in this construction, hence the genitive case.
>>
Here is my research of the Russian word formation rules
eбaть - to fuck
ПO-eбaть - "to fuck a little", also "I don't give a shit"
BЫ-eбaть to literally fuck (as a finished action) or to punish (especially someone lower in rank or social standing)
ПPO-eбaть - to lose something
ПEPE-eбaть - to hit someone or to literally fuck a lot of people
У-eбaть - to hit some, to escape
C'eбaть (cя) - to escape, to leave
HA-eбaть - to fool/to scam someone
B-eбaть - to hit someone, to drink something (especially strong alcohol)
ЗA-eбaть - to annoy someone
ПOД-eбaть - to banter, to make fun of someone
ДO-eбaть (cя) - to give someone a hard time, or to finish fucking someone (literally)
>>
>>118259192
good job, also въeбaть often means ''to lose something''

пocтaвил нa кoннopa и хaтy въeбaл

Also can anyone give an advise what language to learn? italian or arabic
learning english and chinese rn
>>
>>118259192
Very good job
>>
>>118259192
>ЗA-eбaтьCЯ
Is a very common verb, means you are done/sick/tired of [doing] something

That being said, nice
>>
>>118259192
paзъeбaть

to destroy something/someone
>>
>>118259061
>Я хoчy ecть мяco мyжики.
>It does sound natural but it means a different thing: “I want to eat meat, guys”. Human meat = чeлoвeчecкoe мяco
>Since we are talking food here you could also put мяco in partitive: я хoчy cъecть/пoecть чeлoвeчecкoгo мяca.
Бoльшoe cпacибo зa этy инфopмaцию.

>Teбя тaм нe былo. Tы is not a subject in this construction, hence the genitive case.
I am trying to understand why the genitive case, is it because "ты" was not there so there is a missing quantity of "ты"?

>>118259192
Oчeнь пoмoглo, cпacибo.
>>
>>118214678
I dunno anon, this post is pretty good English, give yourself more credit desu
>>
>>118259761
>>118259700
>>118259544
>>118259513
Thanks. Is OБ-eбaть possible? Such as to beat someone in a game (by possibly cheating, basically first HA-eбaть and as a result OБ-eбaть)? Or to fool someone? How about ИЗ-eбaть? BЗO-eбaть? Not sure what that would mean.
>>
>>118259884
>I am trying to understand why the genitive case, is it because "ты" was not there so there is a missing quantity of "ты"?
Yes
>>
>>118259956
Бoльшoe cпacибo
>>
>>118259938
yes, oбъeбaть = нaeбaть, but harder, more cruel or smth like that
you can нaeбaть your friend but oбъeбaть is smth you wouldnt do to him

изъeбaть dont know such a variant, never met it probably

взъeбaть=paзъeбaть but with a leaning towards non-contact interaction
>>
>>118259938
>ИЗ-eбaть
Not really, but ИЗeбaтьCЯ is to find a way from tough situation or more commonly to do something in a very creative/inordinary way.
>>
>>118259938
Bыёбывaтьcя - to show off
>хвaтит выeбывaтьcя. Oн выeбывaлcя нoвым aйфoнoм.

Oтъeбaтьcя - to fuck off
>oтъeбиcь, пидop.

Пpиeбaтьcя = пpиcтaть - to pester, to bother
>кo мнe oпять пpиeбaлиcь кoллeктopы.

Изъёбывaтьcя, изъeбнyтьcя = yмyдpитьcя - to pull off something challenging
>я нe знaю, кaк мнe нaдo изъeбнyтьcя, чтoбы зaвecти тян.

Also въёбывaть нa paбoтe = to work hard
>>
>>118259938
I remembered another two
>eбaнyть
1) to blow (up) hard, for instance as a result of explosion
Eбaни этoмy кoзлy - punch that jerk
Cнapyжи гpoмкo eбaнyлo - something blew up loudly outside
2) I think it’s used when someone is suggesting having a drink
Пoйдём eбaнeм пивкa - let’s go have some beers

>нaeбeнитьcя, нaeбaшитьcя - to get wasted
Cтэйcи нaeбeнилacь нa впиcкe. - Stacey got wasted at the party.
>>
by the way you guys should make yourselves VK accounts if you want to practice russian
>>
>>118259192
eбaть is something like an active role in sex so only a man can do it

eбaтьcя is smth done by two people together

мы eбeмcя, я ee eбy
>>
>>118260526
хopoшaя идeя

>The most popular social networks in Russia are Vkontakte (vk.com) and Odnoklassniki (ok.ru). Vkontakte (translated “In Touch”) is used daily by 28% of Russians, and it is a sort of Russian clone of Facebook. 19% of Russians, mostly middle-aged people, use Odkoklassiniki on a daily basis. Odnoklassniki (translated “Classmates”) started out as a website for finding one’s classmates from school and university, but it has been re-branded to expand its purpose.
>>
>>118260812
Odnoklassniki is such a 2000s thing, even my grandma doesn’t use it anymore
>>
>>118260526
Don't you need a phone number for that?
>>
>>118261093
yes but why are you asking

is getting one so expensive in america
>>
>>118260858
So is Facebook in second place now?
>>
>>118261169
>americans take out lifelong, crippling debt to pay one month of a cellphone bill
do they really?
>>
>>118261216
No, it's highly unlikely. Twitter has become more popular recently
>>
>>118261230
only retarded leafs would wonder about why someone wouldn't want to give their phone number to some shady website overseas.
>>
>>118261334
nah, i get you. i never give my number unless i really need to for some reason.
>>
>>118261334
>>118261378
GIVE US YOUR PHONE NUMBERS RIGHT FUCKING NOW, YOU LITTLE SHITS
>>
>>118260812
vk is so much better than facebook I wonder why someone still uses that shitty website
>>
>>118261334
>shady website overseas.
I’m calling janny
>>
>>118261606
how do you know his phone number? was it in a db of phone numbers stolen from vk?
>>
>>118261773
burger please stop, noone wants you or other morbidly obese retards in vk
>>
>>118231909
>>118234520
>its all websites and videos
i just want a fuckin book man. i cant learn from the internet at all
>>
>>118249014
>My mom's the best.
Je veux manger de la viande humaine.
>Your car is worthless.
Ta voiture est sans valeur.

Tu ne deviendras pas ni pirate ni cosmonaute.
Je suis passé mais tu n'as pas été là.
J'essaierai de le convaincre.

Personne n'aurait deviné le rebondissement cruel du destin que se présenterait cette-nuit là.
Si n'est pas été pour moi, vous n'auriez pas pu accomplir les buts l'entreprise a posé pour vous.
Ce sera un morceau de gâteau, juste tu regardes, je reviendrai avant que tu le sais.
>>
>>118244902
Good post. Thank you
>>
>>118217326
based A F
>>
>>118246483
https://youtu.be/ShfsBPrNcTI

Kill yourself warlock
>>
r/lang btfo
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318495365_Odrowaz-Coates_A_Peaceful_expansion_of_English_language_in_Europe_A_tool_of_integration_or_quiet_colonization_Multicultural_Studies_III_1_2017_pp_115-126
>>
>>118216612
gib corrections pls
>>
>>118216612
Reise, reise, Seemannreise, jeder tut auf seiner Weise.
>>
bump
>>
File: screen.png (2.93 MB, 2560x1440)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB PNG
watching netflix
>>
>Page: 9
>>
>>118263236
Then try the Penguin Russian Course. Haven't used it myself, but it always gets recommended. I think there's also a scan of it in the tumblr linked in OPs pastebin, if you want to take a look into it.
>>
https://www.languagesquad.com/
Post your audio hard score
>>
Hi Russia, what does « пaнибpaт » mean and in what context is it used?
>>
Don't forget to do your Duolingo
>>
>easy
Moя мaмa нaйкpaщa.
Я хoчy їcти людcькe м'яco.
Tвoя мaшинa нiчoгo нe вapтa.
>>
>>118270879
I will, thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>118270879
>>
>>118270879
>>
>>118272198
That's quite right. Why would you learn Ukrainian anyway?
>>
>>118270879
today i reached a 50 day streak. although I prefer Memrise. it's not as boring
>>
>>118272616
romania is right next to ukraine. maybe he has family over there
>>
>>118269947
>>
>>118272669
I know that much. My point is anyone would better off learning Russian cuz Ukrainian is pretty much a dead useless language.
>>
>>118272967
yeah but familial relations.
>>
>>118273024
Every Ukrainian understands Russian to a decent degree so imo it doesn't really worth it (as for foreigners)
>>
>>118273162
what if he just wants to impress his terminally ill ukrainian grandmother with his basic ukrainian before she slips off into the void?
>>
File: index.png (220 KB, 512x512)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>118273426
Then it works for him, I guess
>>
>>118249014
Can only do easy ones for now.

Η μητέρα μου είναι η καλύτερη.
Θέλω να φάω ανθρώπινο κρέας.
Το αμάξι σου είναι άχρηστο.

Is αμάξι or αυτοκίνητο more common?
>>
>>118249864
>>118263285
Overall pretty damn good, guys. Lemme suggest some minor corrections or more idiomatic phrases.

>Je veux manger la viande humaine.
« Je veux manger de la chair humaine »
(Austrianon, don't forget the "de").

>Ta voiture est sans valeur.
« Ta voiture ne vaut rien »

>Tu ne vas pas devenir un corsaire ni un cosmonaute.
« Tu ne deviendras ni corsaire, ni spationaute »
(to nitpick, note the difference between astronaut, cosmonaut, spationaut and taikonaut…)

>Personne n'aurait deviné que le coup du sort cruel aurait lieu cette nuit.
« Nul n'aurait deviné quel cruel coup du sort s'abattrait cette nuit-là »
(Austrianon, your sentence emphasizes the "when" rather than the "what")

>Si c'était pas pour moi, tu n'aurais pas été capable d'atteindre les objectives que l'entreprise a fixé pour toi.
« Sans moi, tu n'aurais pas été capable d'atteindre les objectifs qu'a fixés pour toi l'entreprise. »
(“If it weren't for me” = sans moi/si je n'avais pas été là)
(the 's' in 'fixés' is one of the trickiest rule in French)

>Ca sera un joue d'enfant, juste regarder: Je serai de retour avant que tu le saches.
« Ça sera un jeu d'enfant, tu vas voir : je serai de retour avant que tu ne t'en aperçoives ! »
>>
have a pitty bump
>>
>>118275532
*pity
i know it doesn't change anything but respect the retarded orthography of english!
>>
>>118254849
Meant for
>>118249014
>>
Bump
>>
>>118263324
you're welcome
>>
why the slump
>>
File: duolingo.jpg (116 KB, 1594x891)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Which one should I pick? Btw the courses that have a small userbase are generally buggy.
>>
>>118280468
why do you want to learn a language?
That matters quite a bit
>>
>>118270333
We should wait for a Russian anon to confirm this but Wiktionary says:
Пaнибpaт:
Знaчeниe (Definition)
1. ycтapeвшee(meaning outdated, so this could be wrong). близкий знaкoмый, пpиятeль (a close acquaintance, buddy)
>>
@118262603
>can't take even light banter
no wonder their janny is so mad and deletes threads left and right. why are they so insecure?
>>
I'm learning Spanish as I've wanted to do since I was tiny. In my pursuits I've set the spoken language of a couple of games I'm playing to Spanish so I can get used to it - the most helpful one I've found so far has been Monster Hunter: World. It's actually taught me a few phrases.

The other day I picked up a quest from a side character and when he wished me luck I verbally thanked him, then realised mid sentence that I was thanking him in Spanish. I don't even know if it was GOOD Spanish, but I think I got my point across either way.

I'm sure that random fiver bro NPC is very proud of me.
>>
bump
>>
Have any of you noticed shortcomings in your own language through the study of a different one? English doesn’t have any gendered nouns, I was telling a story about my cousins the other day, I have a male and a female one and there’s no elegant way to tell the difference between them in speech without extra words.
>>
why is arabic so gay and hard to learn
>>
>>118212996
"The" is a totally unnecessary formality. Unless you're gonna start calling Greenland The Green Land I think you aught to shut up. I wish we could just call our own land United States, personally.
>>
>>118249014
Je voudrais manger la viande de l’humaine.
Ta voiture n’a pas le vaut. (is there a better way to say this?)
Vous n’allez pas être un pirate ou un cosmonaute.
J’ai arrivé mais tu n’y étais pas.
Je vais essayer lui convaincre.

i’m still too baby to try the advanced lol (je suis trop de la bébé essayer les avancés honhonhon)
>>
>>118212996
this, thats why modern latin languages are better than classical latin
>>
>>118284584
>Have any of you noticed shortcomings in your own language through the study of a different one?
You just said it! There is no one specific word for "cousin" in Arabic. Instead we have "ابن عم" which literally means "son of uncle". On the other hand we differentiate between maternal and paternal uncles/ aunts.
>>
>>118281355
We don't use that word nowadays, only it's derivatives: пaнибpaтcтвo, пaнибpaтcтвoвaть, пaнибpaтcкий - in these words the stem means acting overly friendly with smb who is not your friend
>>
I've been learning German for a while now but it's really quite difficult to find decent books that aren't fiction. If any germanon knows of a decent history book (any topic really), I'd be grateful.
On a side note, for English history books, I can usually trust the Oxford University Press. Is there any German equivalent?
>>
>>118270333
This is an ancient word I've never used in my entire life and there's no context it could be used for. You probably found it in some old book so don't bother about it so much because I'm sure, most of native speakers can't say meaning of it without dictionary.
>>
>>118275518
Thank you anon. I noticed upon reading austrianon's post that my translations are too literal. I guess once I start reading in French I'll get a feel? for the language and start using idiomatic expressions/sound like a native (with time ofc. I don't see myself sounding like a native in a longlong time)
>>
Chinesebros, I have a surname that like 100 people in Sweden have and almost no one elsewhere has it. Do I get to choose my own cool name in chinese or do I just have to say something similar to my name?
>>
Why does no one talk about their methodology for language learning?
>>
>>118288372
You either make up your own Chinese name or make one out of your real name that won't ever sound Chinese. For example, Barrack Obama becomes 贝拉克·奥巴马 - Bei la ke Ao ba ma.
>>
>>118288626
Cool anon, ty
>>
>>118288424
I would say it is simple: learn grammar up to B1 and 3k words, then combine learning grammar and vocabulary with daily immersion such as YouTube, news, etc. (if it as an alive language), join a speaking club or hire a tutor to practise talking to, when you hit 10k words and cover all the fundamental grammar you do not need to study formally that often, just more immersion and occasional brushing up
>>
>>118288424
because its all in the sticky
>>
>>118288626
>make one out of your real name that won't ever sound Chinese. For example, Barrack Obama becomes 贝拉克·奥巴马 - Bei la ke Ao ba ma.
Wait really? But what if it translates like "I suck my mother's cock"?
>>
>>118288797
They usually don't use combinations of characters that might mean rude stuff. Sometimes it can be interpreted to mean something else. For example, the girl name Alexandra is 亚历山德拉 -Ya li shan de la, but sometimes it's also written as 亚历山大 - Ya li shan da, which is identical in pronunciation to 压力山大 - stress/pressure as big as a mountain.
>>
>>118286834
With history, it really depends on what country and epoch you're interested in. Everything WW2 and Third Reich is heavily biased and you'll find better literature in English, desu.
For classical archaeology, I can recommend the Hölscher:
https://www.amazon.de/Klassische-Arch%C3%A4ologie-Grundwissen-Tonio-H%C3%B6lscher/dp/3806216533/
Geschichte der Antike is another good book:
https://www.amazon.de/Geschichte-Antike-Studienbuch-Hans-Joachim-Gehrke/dp/3476024946/
>>
>>118213172
Why are you even in this thread you close minded subhuman brainlet?
>>
German anons:

Does the article "der" in "der Schönhauser Allee" refer to Allee or Schönhauser? Im confused
>>
Serious question: what is the point of learning any language if any moderately educated person speaks English and you can use that to communicate?
>>
>>118292307
For every question out there the answer is Jesus Christ.
>>
>>118292415
>any moderately educated person
visit china or japan
>>
>>118292473
?
>>
>>118292415
explain that pic to me please
>>
>>118292415
Germanii și francezii nu vorbesc pe engleză, pur și simplu le doare-n pulă de toată lumea parcă-s americani. Iar cei care-s ""educați"" nu vreau să stea la vorbă cu tine. Numai în Austria și Scandinavia poți să folosești engleza zi de zi, dar și acolo o să dai de limite.
>>
Serious question: what is the point of learning any language if any moderately educated person writes JavaScript and you can use that to program?
>>
>>118292816

It’s not the same thing. You can’t translate C++ or Java to javascript
>>
>>118293017
A programmer can write a program with the same behavior in all of those languages just as a speaker can express any idea in any natural language.
>>
>>118292307
Allee. I'm assuming the context is something like "in der Schönhauser Allee". That's the accusative case (cause of indicating a location in this case), so "die" gets changed to "der"
>>
Anyone ever tried Glossika?
>>
>>118293970
Thank you. So "Schönhauser Allee" IS treated as it's own noun, article takes after the Allee. I was unsure because it's a double noun so is the article coming from the haus part or Allee
>>
>>118294305
Yeah that's how it works with names for places. Stuff like Platz, Allee etc. with a name in front are just the name of the place and thus treated as one word and entity. It's more obvious with streets that are called -straße, -weg etc. cause then it's literally one word, but you can't make it one word if the "prefix" ends with -er, referring to a city or place such as Schönberg (at least I'm assuming that's some place)
>>
>>118294952
Seems really obvious now. Much obliged netherbro
>>
>>118244902
yeeah teachers here fall into the same hole, this is why i have always preferred lectors, and thankfully while i was in elementary school i had a very nice American-hungarian teacher as a lector
>>118213567
for a while i couldn't understand why "had had" was a thing but it caught on eventually
>>
>>118295314
That's what I was hoping for, no prob
I'm just a Germ living here sometimes btw
>>
>>118293982
I have
>>
>>118296347
Was it a good supplement to your language learning routine?
>>
I wanna supplement assimil with some anki decks. Does anyone use a french anki deck that they would recommend? Also do you think it matters which deck I use?
>>
>>118232585
>>118233542
>the other 3 forms
They're the same shape, just connected to another one. It's like when we write in cursive, something like 'am' looks slightly different to 'om' because the a connects to the m at the bottom, whereas the o connects at the top, and unconnected letters also look slightly different to their connected counterparts.

>>118235862
>>118236178
To me the Hebrew alphabet looks just like what foreign websites (i.e. with different alphabets) or the front page of Wikipedia where it listed all lan used to look like 15 years ago, before fonts for all sorts of scripts were widespread. All of the letters are squares.
>>
>>118297936
>all lan
all languages
>>
>>118296461
Glossika is really good. It's not really for absolute beginners but imo more useful for transitioning to speaking with more confidence. I quit after some months because it became a little tedious, and I felt like I would learn the same things by myself. They have redone it a little since then but just try it out, don't they have a useful trial period.
>>
>>118298027
also, all the translations were not 100% so that was a little irritating
>>
How the hell did you get that Fluent?! So you wanna know too? Okay, fine.
Anon, you listen carefully too.
He's going to tell us right now? The secret to Master's power?
I'd like to know too.
Well, fine.
Listen up.
It's too risky! He can't let these guys know his secret!
First, what's important is, to make sure you stick to this intense self-study regimen.
Self study? Not textbooks or apps, But self-study? What self study?
Listen, anon.
You just have to keep doing it.
No matter how hard it gets.
It took me three years to get this fluent.
One hundred anki reps! One hundred new cards!
Then a ten hour immersion.
Every single day!
And of course, make sure you practice shadowing.
In the beginning, you'll wish you were dead.
You might start thinking what's the harm of taking a day off?
But for me, in order to be a polyglot, no matter how tough it was, even if I was bored, I never stopped.
I kept doing anki reps even when my fingers were so heavy they refused to move.
Even when my mouth started making weird clicking noises, I kept doing shadowing.
A year and a half later, I started to notice a difference.
I was bald
And I had become proficient!
In other words, you gotta train like hell to the point where your hair falls out.
That's the only way to become fluent.
>>
>>118298027
Yeah, they have a week long free trial, but I wanted the perspective from someone who had done it for a while.
>>
>>118290344
Vielen Dank anon, I've just ordered the Hölscher, I expected as much from WW2, but would you know of any good scholarship on the overseas German colonies, Austria-Hungary, or the Netherlands?
>>
Why aren't you saving languages from extinction by taking courses on Duolingo™?
>>
>>118298515
I don't really know of any books in those subjects, but I remember that in Germany there's a whole lot of textbooks in pocket size published under C.H. Beck Wissen you can look through. Here's a link to the page of the publisher:
https://www.chbeck.de/buecher/reihen-sachbuch/chbeck-wissen/ueber-chbeck-wissen/
Maybe you find some interesting books there. They're usually well-researched, inexpensive and good introductions.
>>
>>118299319
I know a little bit of Yiddish. It's not critically endangered but it's rarely heard.
>>
>>118299319
Anyone who tries to save a language is a dirty fucking poser.
>>
>>118299319
Why don't the fucking Hawaiians do it
>>
>>118299933
They should adopt the ulpan model
>>
>>118299739
Oh wow, these are really cool. Thanks!
>>
>tfw know chinese is more used and better to know, but wanna learn japanese because it sounds cooler
what do? My plan is to learn mandarin after i finish up spanish, then move on to japo.
>>
>>118301167
If you are going to move to Japan learn Japanese, if you learn Chinese you might as well stay the US because you can get really good paying jobs.
>>
>>118301283
so I should prioritize mandarin? I've heard a lot of chinese people here speak Cantonese as opposed to mandarin, is that true?
>>
>>118301407
Pretty sure most speak mandarin as well but there is no harm in learning both. Would prioritize mandarin though.
>>
>>118299319
I deliberately did not watch this video because his mouth looks so fucking strange in the thumbnail. What the fuck kind of face is that?
Why do all youtubers need to follow the same pattern as each other? It's a lousy model that makes them look like bandwagoners
>>
File: do it for kat.png (1.13 MB, 1400x1000)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>118299319
i'd learn Hawaiian if i got free Hawaiian pizza for life
>>
>>118301629
He does have a reptilian face, and a reptilian accent...
>>
>>118293970
If "die" is changing to "der", then it's dative, not accusative
>>
>>118301750
and that checks out since location requires the dative not accusative
>>
>>118254849
>Não vais ficar um pirata nem astronauta
Não vais tornar-se* um pirata nem astronauta. I highly suggest you learn the difference between these verbs (see https://portuguese.stackexchange.com/questions/1230/tornar-se-vs-ficar/1233 for a detailed discussion), since mixing them will usually lead to confusion. In this particular case, a native would probably not understand what you meant by using "ficar". Also, either "Não vais tornar-se um pirata nem um astronauta" or "Não vais tornar-se pirata nem astronauta" sounds more natural.

>Passei mas não estiveste lá
Passei lá, mas tu não estiveste/estavas. Not gonna lie, I'm not sure which form of the verb is the most correct here lol. Estavas sound better imo.

>Ninguém adivinharia a mudança de destino cruel que aconteceria aquela noite
... naquela* noite.

>Se não fosse por mim, não terias atingido* os objetivos que a companhia te estabeleceu*.
Mandar translates better to "to order".

>Será uma peça de bolo(is there a better saying?), só assista: vou voltar antes do que tu sabes!
A piece of cake = um pedaço de bolo, but that's not a saying in Portuguese. Instead we use "moleza", "mamão com açúcar" (less common), "mel na chupeta" (even less common). Not sure what they use in Portugal, though. Also "I'll be back before you know it" could be translated as "Voltarei antes que tu te dês conta" or "Voltarei antes que tu percebas".

Ótimo trabalho, apenas alguns erros que não prejudicam muito os sentidos das frases (exceto a frase do astronauta). Continue assim, amigo.
>>
File: descarga.jpg (20 KB, 268x268)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>118299319
pic related

>>118299833
its fine if its, like, someone with actual cultural ties to the language (or at least someone who has been studying it for very long), but jacob from minnesota isnt saving inuktitut from extinction any time soon
>>
>>118299319
A language "dies" when it no longer has native speakers. Therefore you don't "save" it by learning it. Or would you say Latin is no longer a dead language because I learned it?
>>
>>118299319
channels like langfocus are fucking parasites, they dont do anything new, they just skim the wikipedia page for random languages and use that to write their scripts, all his viewers are indians and normies who say shit like "I've been learning french for 3 years and I can still barely speak it"
>>
>>118301629
It's the mouth of a yellow fever gypsy
>>
>>118270333
этo cлoвo нe вчтpeчaл, нo вcтpeчaл ''пaнибpaтcтвo''
>>
>>118288424
because my method is too good to give it for free and too specific for someone else to use it
>>
>>118288424
I’ll give you my groundbreaking method for three payments of 19.99
>>
>>118298244
Bald and bankrupt?
>>
>>118303636
>I've been learning french for 3 years and I can still barely speak it"
wow it's like /lang/.
>>
>>118302910
Honestamente estava a pensar sobre usando "tornar-se" mas pensei demais e mudei a minha decisão =/
>>
Bump
>>
I know I’m very early in the game but is there a rule for applying masculine and feminine nouns?
Also I know duolingo isn’t recommended as a sole source of french learning, I’m using memrise at the same time but currently don’t have money to spend on other avenues
>>
File: EQ6hAldWkAE0RfG.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>118212183
Currently know English and Spanish. About to study a career in translation next month to learn both Japanese and French. Needless to say I'm really excited. What has learning other Languages brought you besides the joy of watching Chinese cartoons without subs and taking to strangers on the internet /lang/?
>>
>>118308057
What do you mean by studying a career in translation? What occupation do you hope to achieve?
I hope this doesn’t sound smarmy, I’d be interested in doing something similar.
I like communication and understanding, I would like to remove language as a barrier from connecting with people
>>
>>118308203
probably you could get a job as one of those UN people who speak into headphones
>>
>>118307972
not sure about a rule but it'd be best to learn every new word with its gender. that's what i do anyway
you don't need to spend a penny to learn a language
>>
How the FUCK do you stop yourself from aspirating p's and t's at the start of syllables?
>>
File: lwt.png (140 KB, 1219x710)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
real autodidactic hours
>>
What should I do after completing Language Transfer Greek? I'm halfway and it teaches grammar quite well but I won't be at the point where I can just jump into books and movies.
>>
>>118213567
When to use in/on/at.
I still fuck it up from time to time.
>>
im trying to use the pushkininstitute website to learn russian but the website is completely in russin. is there any way i can change this or is it just like this?
>>
>>118313348
Did you try the drop-down menu on the right?
>>
>>118313479
yea i tried that but when you get into a lesson its all in russian even though the lesson is about beginner shit. the website is also a laggy as hell
>>
>>118217326
Based burger
>>
>>118312587
I think ideally you pick up another course or grammar book after it and continue your studies with that. The goal of Language Transfer seems to be to "install" the groundwork of a language in your brain, making it easier to pick up more formal stuff after.
Bottomline: Get a grammar book / course, work through that and build your vocabulary while doing so. Try to get into reading and watching movies as soon as possible, even when you don't understand half of it at first.

>>118314041
So the site's still slow? I've tried pushkininstitute two years ago and found it difficult with how it worked (technically).
>>
bump
>>
>>118313348
>>118313479
That site is unfortunately broke as fuck and a pain to use . On computer i just used chrome to translate the page
>>
honestly i feel that no matter how much i study, have conversations, listen or use native material, i feel like i will never be fluent
>>
>>118308382
That sort of people need to have an extremely high ability immediate interpreting and translation ability. I don’t think that’s something you’d be able to acquire by taking classes for a few years in college.
>>
>>118318940
t. flashtard who believes that reading h-manga and watching cooking videos is learning through immersion
>>
What language will save /lang/?
>>
>>118318754
This feeling haunts me at night but idk what else I'd be doing if I quit. I play video games somethings but it gets boring quick and it's not as rewarding.
>>
>>118273653
αμάξι is vehicle afaik rather than car specifically
>>
>>118249014
>>Easy
>My mom's the best.
Η μάνα μου είναι η καλύτερη
Θέλω να φάω ανθρώπινο κρέας
>Your car is worthless.
Το αυτοκίνητό σου είναι ανάξιο

>>Medium
Θα γίνεις ούτε πειρατής ούτε κοσμοναύτης
Ήρθα αλλά δεν ήσουν εκεί
Θα προσπαθήσω να τον πείσω

>>Hard
Κανένας θα είχε μαντέψει το βάναυσο παιχνίδι της μοίρας που θα σύμβαινε εκείνο το βράδυ
Αν δεν ήμουν εδώ, δεν θα μπορούσες να επιτύχεις τους σκοπούς που η εταιρεία σου έβαλε
Θα είναι πολύ εύκολο, απλά δες: θα γυρίσω πριν το ξέρεις!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.