[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What's the best voting system?
Is voting a civil right or should it be earnerd?
Also, when did your country adopt the women's suffrage?
>>
>>7230846
One man, one vote
>>
>>7230846
mandatory preferential voting
>>
>>7230846
>What's the best voting system?
Each region is represented by a single party and accounts for certain amounts of seats in the national parliament, etc, depending on the importance of the region measured in GDP and total population. The regions respect cultural, communal and historical boundaries, so no bullshit gerrymandering.
>Is voting a civil right or should it be earnerd?
Voting should only be allowed for people over the age of 23, are citizens and have at least one parent from the country.
>Also, when did your country adopt the women's suffrage?
Around 1920
>>
That's hard to say, there are peculiarities in individual countries that might lead to one system being preferable for that particular country than another. There's currently a debate going on here in relation to reforming the election system and the main proposal is for a proportional preferential vote, which would probably be better from the current system. As for presidential vs parliamentary, I can't really say which one I would personally prefer but I think in our current political situation, parliamentary democracy is preferable because I'd be worried about giving an individual politician in this country the powers that the president in a presidential system holds.
Regarding the voter base, I think all adult citizens - excluding those with limited legal capacities and prisoners - should be allowed to vote.

My country was founded in 1945 and women could vote then but let's be honest, the right to vote for the only allowed party doesn't really count as the right to vote, so that would be 1990 when the first multi-party elections were held.
>>
It should be a lottery system. No candidates, everybody just put in a name and whoever gets drawn is president
>>
Preferential voting
>>
>>7231090
>Regarding the voter base, I think all adult citizens - excluding those with limited legal capacities and prisoners - should be allowed to vote.
Should a registration be required? Or should any adult be a registered voter by default?
>>
>>7231739
I don't see why that would be necessary when the appropriate authority can add people to the voter registry.
>>
>>7231262
I am actually a huge fan of this system. If you aren't ready to be president, you don't get the full rights of citizenship.
>>
Anyone who is at least the age of 18 and a citizen of the country will legally be allowed to vote - however, this is under the condition that they will be able to pass an exam (with many questions that require written answers) that will judge whether the individual understands the policies that they are voting for or not. The knowledge required to revise for these exams will be put on online websites for free and on books in libraries, universities, etc.
I don’t trust unknowledgable people to vote for what is best for their country. If one really loves their country, they will go out of their way to learn about it.
>>
>>7231862
Well, in the US you need to register to vote. Can anyone explain why that is?
>>
>>7232634
Yeah, that seems pretty strange. Do they keep dead people in the register until someone brings a death certificate?
>>
>>7230846
If you are adult enough for the court you are adult enough for the ballot, don't care if the age is 16 or 21 as long as this principle holds.

I prefer single transferable vote but lots of people don't get it. Maybe the Janeček Method would be more intuitive for them.

I don't trust direct voting because it makes the voters unaccountable and I don't trust most people anyhoo. I'd combine elected representatives with sortitioned representatives, maybe split 50-50.
>>
>>7232719
Also, I strongly feel that people with dependables that can't vote for themselves should get extra votes or some other form of balancing.
>>
>>7232719
>Janeček Method
I don't know the details but I could see a one-vote-for-power-one-vote-for-control system

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.