[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: suicide forest.png (329 KB, 644x419)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
Why does a country like Japan a high standard of living and economic development has a relatively high suicide rate compared to other countries? Does culture play a role in this or it's caused by other factors?
>>
High stress
>>
>>7227687
you mean from work or something else? Becuase I heard Japanese culture is based heavily around humbleness and discipline
>>
it isn't even in top 10
>>
>>7227754
I heard that there was a gradual decrease in suicides after 2013.
>>
>>7227677
They fell for the boomer meme. 80% of government spending goes to Japanese boomers and pre-boomers, and extreme crowding means all the young people save basically no money despite working long, intense hours.
>>
>>7227754
>high standard of living and economic development
Your Slav alcoholic shithole doesn't qualify
>>
>>7227677
They don't have much free time for family and friends.

They are discouraged from expressing strong emotions, as something that is unsightly, so their desperation usually goes under the radar.

There is religion but it doesn't come into people's lives much, it doesn't seem to build communities.

No stigma on suicide the way Christians have and Muslims used to have (used to be punished with hellfire, it was believed, until some fatwa changed it). Dunno about Jews. Japs have stories that associate suicide with honor-keeping.
>>
>>7227811
thank you very much anon))) each slav is programmed to be a doomer since his birth so we need something help us get through the day
>>
>>7227807
and then they spend of their money on hentai
>>
>>7227677
if anything i'd expect being more materially well off would lead to more suicide as without any real struggle in peoples lives they lack purpose. so i personally don't see a contradiction.
>>
>>7227811
there are countries with comparable GDP per capitas in the list before/just after japan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate#List_by_other_sources_and_years_(1985–2018)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
if anything belgium is the black sheep of the first world
>>
https://youtu.be/6tmjXp_AYg0

Obviously take this with a grain of salt but this is not too far off of the average life of a japanese salaryman.

You have barely any time or money for personal hobbies, friends or family. There is also a very high societal expectation from family and society to conform. There is no serious religious or cultural ties with your local community, at least nothing that is actually meaningful.

Romance is also stale and lacklustre. Women are taught to be a proper woman is to be meek and submissive, transitioning later to dutiful stay at home mom. Sounds great right? In reality this translates to a passionless robot with few noteworthy characteristics or drive or interest in either bettering themselves or you their partner.. Trust me, this is something that would bore the shit out of any self respecting man.
>>
>>7227867
So basically Japan is macabre mixture od the old feudal world and the new age of technology
>>
>>7227863
Even there, Japan would be in the top 5 (behind SK, Slovenia, Hungary, and Belgium). But yeah Belgium is a weird place. They also have a surprisingly high gun homicide rate, higher than white America's gun homicide rate.
>>
>>7227867
I have so many things to say about that video (was his boss a westerner?) but I find it really nauseating how Japan was simultaneously completely wrecked by modernity and adapted to it perfectly without asking questions or ever looking back. strange.
>>
>>7227677
unsolveable crimes/murders without a suspect get labeled as suicide by police in most prefectures, which inflates the numbers
realistically, the actual number of suicides, while still slightly higher than other countries, is still within reasonable chance
>>
>>7227677
Its much lower than countries like Korea.

Its a problem with society.
>>
>>7227677
It doesn't help that historically japs have been killing themselves to take responsibility for making mistakes or bringing dishonor.
>>
That’s a myth

Japan is like #60 for suicides out of 140
>>
>>7227677
Japanese women do not really want to fuck Japanese men and now they have created an extremely gynocentric society.
>>
>>7227677
It isn't really that high compared to other countries.
>>
>>7229566
But only 1 out of 30 births are mixed and there are more japanese men married to chinese women than japanese women married to foreign men?
>>
>>7227677
Same reason suicide is now the #1 cause of unnatural death in the US, people are realizing that a sense of belonging or fulfillment is not a concern of the government or the corporations running the government. More people feel they are leading empty lives.
>>
>>7227739
Yeah,pressure of having to eat shit from people, especially your superiors, while having to excel at everything while trying to be humble, and not offending people by coming off as an "egoist
" All this while having the realization that if you don't get into a top univeristy, you won't land a good job and your parents will hate you.
This is worse as they are thought to hold the opinions their parents/family have of them in high regard.
Does that explain it enough?
>>
>>7227677
High stress work environments, ungodly long work days, culture based on ridiculously high expectations, and since the advent of higher tech and anime (yes japanese cartoons are causing cultural instability in japan, mostly in the department of male/female relationships lol) men and women are the loneliest and most stressed out they've ever been in Japan.
>>
>>7229459
Where'd you get your numbers? I mean Japan has a forest being the literal home capital of suicides. It's hard to believe that they're not high on some suicide "Top Ten" list.
>>
>>7227819
>there is religion

in japan? lol
>>
>>7230298
Literally me. Replace parents with a nice woman
>>
>>7229459
this
>>
>>7230645
>aged 15-19
Now show the one for working-aged people
>>
>>7227797
The high suicide rate meme in Japan started ~'95 or so and ended around ~'13. That was due to their stagnation economy. Now their suicide rate is normalized to '95 level. Its now roughly in line with the US.
>>
>>7230469
WHO suicides rank on wiki.
>>
>>7230645
WTF New Zealand?
>>
>>7230871
I think the song Yatta in 2001 helped in this.
>>
>>7227867
What a shit existence, just work work work and zero free-time after
>>
>>7227677
>has a relatively high suicide rate compared to other countries
It doesn't though.
>>7230469
>It's hard to believe that they're not high on some suicide "Top Ten" list
Maybe you should stop looking at things through the lens of pop culture.
>>
>>7231397
They're pretty high on the list of rich countries with a suicide problem
>>
Also worth mentioning that mental health care in East Asia is near non existant, there are many mass stabbings, similiar to mass shootings in the US.
>>
It's cultural.

I also assume the overpopulation plays a role in it, tiny island knows is doomed also know as the british soul syndrome.
>>
Every day i find new reasons to be thankful that i was born in a western country.
>>
>>7232549
>mental health care in east asia
Nearly non-existent due to family support structure and much better health care system. If you're old/sick, your family takes care of you. Extended family structure is dead in the US. You're on your own after you turn 18. This is why homeless/outright mental ill are so few in east asia.

>there are many mass stabbings similar to mass shootings in the US
Absolutely not. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Mass stabbing happens every few years in Japan. Mass shooting in the US happens few every days. Any violent crime in Japan's gets international/national attention because its so freaking rare. The Kyoani company arson attack for example is once in a few decades event. It became international news. In the US, these things happen few times a year become part of the monthly news cycle that gets overshadowed by daily shootings/murders/rape.
>>
>>7232911
32 yen has been deposited into your account
t. JSDF Officer Yoshi Yoshimitsu
>>
>>7227677
A standard set by the few
>>
>>7229566
>gynocentric society
I require sources for this claim

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.