[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1556249378094.jpg (224 KB, 1500x1501)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Next week I will start my history study at the university

What should I expect?
>>
The worst
>>
marxist, feminist lunacy and other postmodernist gibberish
>>
You'll have one or two modules you love because of the topic and/or lecturer but most you will resent
Their will be at least one full blown autist in every seminar and lecture (with history this is doubled)
The women on your course will actually be quite cute but it will probably 30-70 split with men in the 70%
No one gives a fuck first year and almost no-one will share your passion for history except the autists
JOIN a society like films or a sport society to actually meet new people and have fun at uni. Don't just sit in your accommodation and play games as you will become even more depressed
>>
>>7225722
At Macquarie University women make up the majority, maybe 60/40, at least they do in the units I've done so far

>>7225709
This, one of my lecturers had a massive rant about how non Europeans marring children and having sex with them and not letting them have an education is not a bad thing and that we're a bunch of Nazis if we assume anything negatively about their way of life.

Every day I always see the Islamist stands (who have a huge stand btw and fuck tons of supporters, they're probably the biggest in the whole uni) the commies and the environmentalists, one time I saw a liberal party (our centre-right party for non Australians) stand with only one person there, he looked super lonely. Occasionally the Catholics have a BBQ but where they do it is hidden away from the main walkway where all the lefties and Islamist groups operate.
>>
>>7225656
Midwits, political courses that have nothing to do with your degree, unemployment.
>>
File: 1536781357026.jpg (79 KB, 750x881)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Im currently studying history and there is so many books i have to get through but little time. Do anyone have any study tips for a history student?
>>
>>7225772
Don't be a slave of the curriculum.
>>
>>7225802
What do you mean by that? Should I not read the curriculum?
>>
>>7225804
Yes. But don't suffercate on the curriculum if certain things doesn't interest you as much. The curriculum varies so don't stress about being an expert in every part - focus on you and your fields of interest and you will be fine.
>>
File: 1538724820178.jpg (172 KB, 1036x900)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>
Do you have whole books to read for your seminars, not just articles?

Anyway I advise doing the assigned reading each week and make clear notes, do question answer plans relevant for the topic for each week. So say the past few years there were questions on Ranke, do questions plans for those the week you do Ranke. Saves you time later .

If you can, meet with your tutors and discuss essay plans to get their feedback early

I didnt really do any of this but it would've helped

>>7227959
Depends what country/ what uni, but don't listen to this. I studied history and worked at Big Four .

Apply for spring weeks and internships and join societies as much as possible
>>
>>7228255
I meant the first bit to >>7225772
>>
>>7225656
probably debt, disappointment, a job outside of your field and either public assistance or substance abuse
>>
>>7225772
You’re not supposed to actually read the books unless they’re on the final essay anon. The last one or two assigned are always on there, the rest usually can be answered with knowledge gained from the class.
>>
>>7225656
Expect to be violently sodomized by your TA.
>>
>>7225754
Holy based
>>
>>7225656
Unemployment
>>
>>7225656
what is this image trying to say?
is the man monk? is it anti religious message?
or maybe it is about the mortality of man?
>>
>>7225656
That the only thing you really learn is what you read yourself.
Lectures have the function of "preparation for literature", that is, of giving you some familiarity with the subject, the text and its background in order to facilitate reading.
So, read a lot if you really want to know our shit.
t. philosophy student
>>
File: 421521376y32.jpg (277 KB, 960x751)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>7225656
you will never know the true history of mankind, history is written and rewritten by those who have won, also you need to be objective what you will learn, most of the history teachers I met said the history is not only black and white like they say in books. Also expect Unemployment
>>
>>7231994
What are these? I've eaten something that looked similar once, some Russian sweet hard bread circles on a string. They were nice. Is this it?
>>
>>7225656
take the wu tang pill and expect the unexpected

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.