[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Jesus Christ.jpg (214 KB, 957x960)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
Protestants claim to be the closest thing to "original christianity" yet not one single church dating earlier than 1519 anywhere in the world agrees with their views. Not the Catholics, not the Greek Orthodox, not the Armenian Church, Ethiopian, Assyrian, Coptic. Why is this?
>>
because they are stupid and wrong
>>
Protestants are germans, and germans are retarded
>>
>>7087028
Most evangelicals/evangelical off-shoots that claim that have made-up lineages through various groups like Waldensians and even sometimes the Cathars.
>>
>>7087028
Salvation by grace, inerrancy of scripture, the resurrection, and return of Jesus are all teachings that we're taught during Christianity's start though
>>
Protestantism has irreperably damaged the reputation of religion in the west in general.
>>
>>7087044
>inerrancy of scripture
>But you can still translate it wrong either by malice or mistake
What now retard?
>>
>>7087048
It certainly doesn’t help that every time an American uses Christianity to justify their retardation and denial of fact they are always a Protestant
>>
>>7087051
Sure, the possibility of corrupting the texts exists but we know that the Bible we have preserved today is largely the same as it was in the first century church
This is all besides the point. We're not discussing the inerrancy of scripture, we're discussing whether or not Protestants hold onto the same views the early church did. Inerrancy of scripture is definitely something both held onto
>>
File: 1453861844216.jpg (200 KB, 928x960)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>7087028
Evangelicals model ourselves after the church as depicted in the Book of Acts. Notice how there are no popes nor patriarchs nor cathedrals nor basilicas anywhere in the New Testament. No prayers to Mary or the saints either. It really makes you wonder.
>>
>>7087073
That's an awesome picture brother, even little stuff like this is an encouragement in my relationship with following the Word.
>>
>>7087073
Nope, just the 11 remaining apostles gathering together, picking replacements to keep their numbers at 12 and recognizing and differing to one of their own, appointing lesser ministers to do parts of their ministry through a ritualistic act, resolving disputes about doctrine, conducting regular liturgical worship, sending out organized hierarchical missions and commissioning them by the sam ritual act, having them plant churches and then report back, having those churches organized along the same liturgical norms, enforcing discipline, and collecting money from them.

And then the people who learned from those missions are calling themselves catholic, claiming to be the replacements to the apostles and those missions, referencing the stories of saints both biblical and modern, decorating their tombs with images of those saints and Mary, and engaging in liturgical acts around the tombs of the early Christians. When they're no longer being actively persecuted adopting Roman meeting halls (basilicas) to use to meet. Truly it does make you wonder.
>>
File: Good Shepherd.jpg (93 KB, 575x618)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>7087127
Amen. Your words encourage me as well!

>>7087129
I really do wonder how some of them went from "call no man father" to "the Pontifex Maximus is my papa."
>>
>>7087175
The same way Jesus said "call no one teacher or Lord" and yet let his followers refer him as both
>>
>tfw Protestant
>Tfw your denomination was likely founded in the 19th century by some crazy American
>Tfw your "church" is a building in a shopping center
>Tfw your "church" is called The Holy Gathering of 7th day believers of the sacred Water"
>Tfw your pastor is a chubby former drug addict with no formal education in divinity
>Tfw you claim to believe Sola scriptura but follow the interpretations of druggy pastor
>Tfw "Our God is an Awesome God" by Skillet is your best hymn
>>
File: 1453862450327.jpg (41 KB, 480x480)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>7087208
Actually Jesus said "you are not to be called teacher" (Mt 23:8) because He is the teacher and Lord.
>>
>>7087028
Not protestant but it should be obvious that the age of a church does not indicate how similar it is to "original Christianity." Prots see themselves as getting back to basics after the Catholic church went astray.
>>
>>7087054
Catholics are pretty retarded about birth control.
>>
>>7087028
>protcucks are dumb
Is this really news?
>>
>>7087175
>Amen. Your words encourage me as well!
I was being sarcastic you fucking idiot
>>
>>7087028
Because "churches" aren't biblical in the first place
>>
>>7087241
Yeah, Mosche from 19th century sure knows more about original christianity than Jesus' actual brethren and associates
>not a prot
Yeah, shut up prottie
>>
>>7087263
Birth control is pretty overrated. Condoms just encourage sleeping with partners you don't well enough to consider "safe". Artificially overloading an otherwise healthy persons endocrine system has side effects that affect quality of life and worse. Basically they all have serious draw backs that don't address the root problem which is an unhealthy abuse of the bodies natural reward system.
>>
>>7087459
They should have all converted to Orthodoxy, not become ever worse heretics.
>>
File: Honest Faith.jpg (1.38 MB, 2848x2136)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
All Christians no matter their denomination agree the Jesus is the model for how we ought to live our lives; He is the way. Therefore we must look to Jesus as our guide and teacher if our faith is sincere. Jesus reached out to the dregs of society, the sinners, tax-collectors, prostitutes and lepers. Not leaving them as they were but healing them and reintegrating them into the community proving that the God's cleansing power is greater than the sin that separates us. The religious scholars and "righteous people" dared not draw near to the afflicted out of fear that they might become infected not realizing their hardheartedness had already condemned them. It was precisely those who were so sure of their own sanctity who nailed the Son of God to the cross. So when asking "what is the true church?" the deeper question is "which church is most like Jesus?" Which church invites the broken and offers them a cure? Which church reaches out to this sick world instead of quarantining themselves? Which church scandalizes the self-righteous? The church that does these things is the true church.
>>
File: 1511929121845.jpg (1.2 MB, 4656x1500)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
Reminder that the Baptists are ruining Christianity for everyone.
>>
File: 1546858390195.gif (721 KB, 245x245)
721 KB
721 KB GIF
>>7087453
Are you stupid? The idea of a global church is symbolic for all Christians worshiping together as a global community, and hearing the gospel indirectly through the sermons of the priesthood and/or our own study of the bible. This notion of community under God/Christ is EVERYWHERE in the Bible, old and new testament.
>>
>>7087028
Are protestants Christian wahhabis?
>>
>>7088152
Generally this except all Christians are priests. There is no special "priesthood" in the church although some are called to positions of greater authority.
>>
>>7087226
Our god is an awesome god is really catchy tho. So are black gospel songs, like Kirk Franklin.

Low church spirituality is perhaps the only good thing to come out of Protestantism.
>>
>>7087876
This is wisdom
>>
>>7087028
Ignorance and pride
>>
>>7087226
This is how I grew up and you have no idea how accurate this is
>>
>>7087453
The Ekklasia is definitely biblical
>>
>>7088138
Holy shit, that's some strong ass revisionism
>>
>>7088155
Pretty much, especially Evangelicals
>>
>>7088138
Poster from >>7087043, that was the timeline I was thinking of. Thanks1
>>
>>7087028
In a way this is all irrelevant to me because I am living in deep pain. What type of pain you may ask? Well it's pain that you Christians are responsible for. The pain that I have to wake up everyday knowing that your kind, this dessert religion from Palestine, this globalist religion waged a genocide on my native ancestral people's of Europe. My ancestors were proud Nordic pagans who didn't worship a Semitic religion like Christianity but worshiped nature and the soil and land. But no it's dead now. You murdered my ancestors and you give me pain everyday.
>>
>>7089602
The destruction of Norse paganism was done by the Norse and no one else.
>>
>>7089608
>The destruction of cuckstainlity will done by the cuckstains and no one else.
Good times desu.
>>
>>7089630
Most likely, yes. Unless the US bishops/Pope Francis magically get their act together the Catholic Church in the US is going to become pretty much irrelevant like it already is in much of Europe, mainstream Protestants have done themselves in, and evangelicals run on cults of personality and so are unable to really get going.
>>
what books on the history of the church fathers should i read?
>>
>>7089652
The Hadiths.
>>
>>7089652
>>
>>7089602
>claim to be heathen
>spouts nature bullshit which is completely disconnected from actual Norse mythology
>looks down on the Gods of others in the same breath
You bring shame to your ancestors and you will spend your next life in Niflhel or worse. May the Aesir have mercy on you in this life and Hel in the next, because Nidhoggr won't.
>>
>>7089696
>looks down on the Gods of others in the same breath
Was this a thing in Norse religions? I'm legitimately curious.
>>
>>7089696
>all Gods exist! :)
>I am literally too fucking stupid to understand consistency and not be philosophically bankrupt!

Do fuck off moron
>>
>>7089790
Contrary to popular belief, from what we know about most of the Norse peoples, they didn't really look at other religions with great disdain despite refusing conversion. The Norse really had no qualms about dealing with Christians on an even playing field. The problem was the Christians did not like infidels and so friendly relations were hard to come by which soured things a bit. The Norse had no problems with Muslims though. Atheism (or Godlessness as they called it) was pretty common among the Norse as well, largely people who thought the Aesir had abandoned them. Most of the myth of Norse heathens hating other religions comes from Nordic reluctance to convert (ancestor venerance was a very large part of Norse heathenry and if the other religion says you will never see your ancestors and they're in Hell, you're probably not going to convert See: Redbad I) and the fact they plundered churches and monasteries (lightly defended, full of tithes and treasures) and Christians looked poorly on that. OTOH, the Norse saw sacrificing Christians as a way to gain great favor with the Aesir, perhaps because the Christians treated the Norse as enemies whether they were friend or foe, but it seems to be related more to the Christian-Norse relationship than Our Gods vs Your God thing.

As for the nature thing, they didn't worship nature. They saw aspects of the Gods in nature, but they didn't worship nature itself.

>>7089867
My beliefs are consistent, but then again, I'm not a LARPing retard like you. When's the last time you read the Voluspa? Never, I'm assuming.
>>
>>7089894
This is all very interesting anon. Thanks.
>>
>>7089894
>When's the last time you read the Voluspa
Not him but five months ago.
>>
>>7089914
No worries. Another fun fact for you: Almost immediately after the Norse began raiding monasteries, you increasingly find them adding Jesus to their Pantheon. It's not difficult to understand why. Odin hung from a tree for nine days with an atgeir in his side in order to understand the sacred runes and give them to man in an effort to save them from Ragnarok. Baldur dies and at Ragnarok, he leaves Helheim and rises from the dead. There are many parallels between the Aesir and Christianity so the syncretic work was basically already done.

>>7089938
For pleasure or for religion?
>>
File: you already know.jpg (181 KB, 720x960)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>7089944
>For pleasure or for religion?
>>
>>7089944
>No worries. Another fun fact for you: Almost immediately after the Norse began raiding monasteries, you increasingly find them adding Jesus to their Pantheon. It's not difficult to understand why. Odin hung from a tree for nine days with an atgeir in his side in order to understand the sacred runes and give them to man in an effort to save them from Ragnarok. Baldur dies and at Ragnarok, he leaves Helheim and rises from the dead. There are many parallels between the Aesir and Christianity so the syncretic work was basically already done.
Do you know what this is? A good fucking post. There's a part in the Nag Hammadis that talks about Jesus being sacrificed on a tree, I kid you not.
>>
>>7089894
Reading this makes me wonder why Scandinavia didn't turn Orthodox like some of the other northern frontier parts did, Alaska and California for instance. The approach missionaries used there seem like they would be more inimicable to Norse culture than forced conversions
>>
>>7089951
Please don't be a larper. As a fellow heathen (albeit a syncretic one), I'm begging you, tears in my eyes, do not. Remember what was written in the Havamal. Odin probably cringes reading the larpfests some of our "kin" espouse.

>>7089983
Largely because the Orthodox weren't all that relevant to them. Harald Bluetooth converted under the Franks in part to get the Germans to fuck off instead of breathing down his neck. They were also very distant comparably. Catholics had been on the Norse' doorstep for centuries and seeing all that wealth, seemingly only attainable by your neighbor Christians, well... do the math.
>>
>>7090021
Dude if you don't seriously don the garb of a true believer you can't possibly be heathen, you're basically a christi*an. The renaissance festivals by the way are a great place to meet fellow practitioners, even though a lot of them are admittedly wiccans only, but they still believe in a lot of the same stuff. The Havamal says to be a warrior and forget the hoes. Also to drink lots of mead after dedicating it on the altar(for this purpose I go to a unitarian universalist establishment and they let me borrow theirs). I mean at this point, you've got to be wondering what you're really reading in front of you. I'm actually joking, I'm not even a "heathen". I'm a pure straight syncretist, trying to delve through as many books as I can in order to figure out what I should be believing before I dedicate myself to a path. That's the real reason I read the Voluspa. I'm reading the Vedas now and I'm about to go to a bunch of Hindu temples in all seriousness. But if you think about it, the only real difference between those that use the Vedas and those that use the Eddas being considered LARP is solely popularity.
>>
>>7090053
Had me in the first half, not gonna lie. I do, unironically, hold a blot every time I drink tho. First drink of the alcohol of the night goes to the Aesir and my ancestors, the rest goes to me and if I don't finish my last drink, they get that too. I don't ask them for any favors. I don't fully know if I still believe in Christ, because going to Church has always just made me feel terrible and the Bible never really stuck with me, but I keep Jesus and Jehovah in my pantheon anyways. The Eddas on the other hand, I dunno. They just sparked something in me and the more I read the more I believed. In all honesty, the only Aesir I really "pray" to are Odin, Tyr, Thor and Freya. I could add Njord and Heimdall, but they don't seem relevant to me. I just hate the complete larpfest 4chan heathens are. They make the Asatru and Odinists seem sane, which is fucking saying something.
>>
All you need to do to discredit the Protestent is say the following:

1. Protestants are more tolerant of fags/dyke even with all the crying 9ver Catholic priests molesting boys (which happens among Muslims and school teachers yet strangely there's not that much outcry over those).

2. Protestants are cucks who let women have authority over men in a church.

3. Islam is better than Protestants since at least their sola scriptura arguments have enough backing context they can't be refuted by a timeline.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.