[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Sherpherd.jpg (59 KB, 600x338)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Well /his/?
>>
>>6907079
hitler
>>
>>6907079
>>
>>6907106
You are uneducated and small-minded.
>>
>>6907079
John Sheridan. They even based that exchange of

>I thought you were dead
>I was, I'm better now.
on him.
>>
>>6907079
general Shepard did nothing wrong, objectively.
>>
>>6907079
Billy Mitchell
>>
>>6907079
He is literally Osama Bin Laden.

let me lay out some bullet points:

>Very privileged guy, has wealth and a high position and is generally set up in life.
>Isn't satisfied with any of that because he's an ideological crusader, who has subordinated his entire life to a particular cause.
>Feels that his own nation, his own people, are getting weak and decadent and not appreciative of the sacrifices of the fighters who bleed and die to preserve their way of life; thinks they've become complacent and subjugated without realizing it
>Wants to ignite a great war that will reinvigorate the peoples will
>Deliberately does terrorist atrocity to provoke one of the global powers into declaring war on his nation and culture.
>Expects the pressures of that war to cause a great resurgence in the hearts of his people, blowing the rust off of their souls and bringing them all back to their feet and into the fight with glorious strength and purity of purpose.
>Dies disappointed in a rathole in Central Asia when it doesn't work out the way he dreamed.

General Shepherd is an American version of Osama bin Laden. That is what the creators were setting out to do; to take the basic logic that was behind the terrorist supervillain of the 21st century and go 'Now, how would this play out from the other side?'. You even hunt him and his black-clad, balaclava-wearing followers through the caves of Afghanistan.
>>
>>6908075
At first I though you were bullshitting but now I think you got a valid point. There any mention of this by any COD Devs?
>>
>>6908075
>his black-clad, balaclava-wearing followers
I really loved the look of the Shadow Company. I think it's just a color-inversion of a 90's Delta Force operator, but they looked so cool.
>>
>>6907079
Can someone explain this picture? He shoots his arm and it turns into VHS television static?
>>
>>6908075
>Deliberately does terrorist atrocity
That was Mossad
>>
>>6908075
>Deliberately does terrorist atrocity to provoke one of the global powers into declaring war on his nation and culture.
See that's where it doesn't work because we never even considered war with Saudi Arabia. We instead declared war on a nation he wasn't from but he happened to be hiding somewhere in the mountains between it and Pakistan.
>>
File: LastThingBritsSee.jpg (14 KB, 210x240)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>6908075
>"Five years ago, I lost 30,000 men in the blink of an eye, and the world just fuckin' watched. Tomorrow there will be no shortage of volunteers, no shortage of patriots. I know you understand."
>>
File: Hummel,_francis.jpg (134 KB, 1600x979)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>6909656

General Hummel did it better
>>
>>6910028
It's a shame such a great premise was wasted on such a stupid movie.
>>
>>6908941
>that kino "danger close" callback
>>
>>6910930
The who and whatnow?
>>
>>6908075

Damn
>>
>>6910028
>>6910901
The film is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a Metal Gear game. Even the composer worked on both projects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8i8mVxt258
>>
>>6913170
Caesar was a good guy, Shepherd was not.
>>
>>6913231
>on such as a dogshit title as MW2
bruh what???
>>
>>6908075
I've long considered the MW trilogy a series with far more depth than people give it credit for, but this is a perspective I'd never even considered. Thanks anon.
>>
>>6908075
Wtf the Modern Warfare series actually had an interesting story to it
>>
>>6913487
The themse are interesting, the actual story itself is kinda ridiculous. Fun action movie ridiculous, mind, but still hard to call believeable.
>>
>>6913499
Oh sweet, I love typos.
>>
>>6913545
nah that'd be like black ops 2 with the introduction of microtransaction weapon skins
>>
File: heart.jpg (26 KB, 592x512)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>6913501
You're sweet.
>>
>>6913545
>namefag
>shit taste
Checks out.
>>6913567
Never forget that Treyarch was always lazy and has been Activision's obedient bitch since BO2.
>>
>>6913585
Gay, lol. But thank you.
>>
>>6908067
>gets court-martialed for criticising the DOD for investing in battleships instead of aircraft carriers
>20 years later, aircraft carriers prove key in the US's victory over Japan

poems
>>
>>6908965
it was more about rousing all Muslims to fight the U.S. for declaring war on a Muslim country
This is what happened in Afghanistan in the 1980s - and there were many volunteers who went there to fight the Soviets. a similar phenomenon followed in Bosnia in the '90s. al-Qaeda and that whole strain of Islam doesn't care much for nationality, their vision is a global Islamic caliphate
>>
>>6913708
We get it, you didn't get the nuances and themes of the Modern Warfare series
>>
can we at least degree COD 4's story was good?

>that 'mission' where you get driven to your execution
>the usurper literally shooting the deposed president

this is some Liberian shit
>>
>>6913749
I think that almost everybody would agree Modern Warfare is a very good game.
>>
>>6913595
BLOPS is the thinking man’s CoD, MW is the only comparable game.
>>
MW2 was the Empire Strikes back of the trilogy.
>>
>>6913621
I'm absolutely convinced that Black Ops 2 is a work of satire. It's so relentlessly silly that there's no way the developers weren't in on the joke.
The fact that the game's "villain" spent his entire life getting fucked over by the CIA, who killed his family, and is now forming a coalition of the poor and downtrodden and his plan involves hijacking America's army of killer robots should set off alarm bells.
The devs realized that the Call of Duty franchise had been getting more and more ridiculous, and decided to just roll with it, and what they came up with was honestly brilliant.
>>
>>6913771
The first one was, and the second gave us one of the best villains in the franchise, sadly chained to a subpar story.
>>6913813
>>6913790
I really think you two are giving Treyarch a bit too much credit, but BLOPS 2's silliness was obviously intentional. If you ask me it's because Treyarch unironically likes ridiculous stories.
>>
>>6913925
I didn't mean to imply World at War was silly, I'm just saying they have a penchant for silly stories. After World at War they decided to make a fully silly story, focused on government conspiracies and people operating where they aren't supposed to be. But it was a somewhat grounded kind of silly. When they got to Black Ops 2, they decided to go full retard with the silly, and we still got an entertaining story out of it.

Ironically, they actually started taking their stories much more silly come Black Ops 3, Zombies included. And guess what, it turns out that taking inherently silly premises super serious 100% of the time you end up with a shit story. Black Ops 3 was the genuinely the worst campaign in all of COD, if not one of the worst stories I've ever seen, and Zombies went to shit the second it took itself seriously. The trend continued into Black Ops 4, with the small bits of lore we got there being so shit I'm glad it didn't have a campaign. That being said, the Zombies story seems to be getting a bit better, which is nice.
>>
>>6913967
*much more seriously
>>
>>6908067
Was ever a man proven so completely, utterly, and totally right?
>>
>>6908075
All of that also applies to Makarov
>>
>>6913749
>he killed my ma, he killed my pa, but I'll vote for him
>>
>>6910901
The Rock is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>6908052
except be a retard
>>
>>6913790
silly or not, beside blops 2 there would never be a game that depicted the angolan civil war, invasion of panama, soviet afghan war
>>
>>6914518
MGSV does kinda depict the Angolan Civil War since Snake operates along the Angola-Zaire border.
>>
>>6911057
In the first mission of mw2 shepherd calls in an airstrike on a location that is considered danger close to some of his own troops, you can then hear one of your fellow soldiers say 'since when does shepherd care about danger close?'. In the final mission while you are trying to catch up to shepherd he calls in another payload that is danger close and even after warnings of his own forces not to he makes the order go through, resulting in the deaths of a multitude of his own forces while the main protagonists survive.
>>
>>6913967
The zombies story of call of duty is the most ridiculous clusterfuck ever created, seriously just look up a summary of it on youtube and try to keep up with it.
>>
>>6908075
The big difference is the world didn't find out that Shepherd was a traitor, so he died an American hero and you were branded a traitor for killing him.
>>
>>6907079
>Last name Shepard
>Kills his flock
Is this supposed to be poetry or something?
>>
>>6908941
>tfw they werent playable in multiplayer
shame
>>
>>6913749
MW and MW2 had some pretty good stories imho
>>
>>6914523
I was very disappointed by the depiction of the war in Angola in TPP. I was hoping it would be a little closer to our history. Same with Afghanistan.
>>
lmao I get banned for posting in a fucking "offtopic" thread and the mods do fuckall about this shit, congrats you /v/ fucks
>>
>>6913868
I was just speaking about the MP which is objectively more skill based and has a higher skill ceiling than the other titles due to the killstreaks not stacking, really awful latency and overdone recoil on the guns+no quickscoping faggotry. maps were also designed for controlling zones or rushing with extreme caution, and you could not rely on any get out of jail free streaks except for blackbird which was admittedly extremely overpowered.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.