[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I can't even imagine that all those famous historical figures had mundane youths, had days where they were bored, had disappointing moments and period of doubts and feeling low.
I know the story of Caesar and Alexander's statue or that Napoleon was feeling like a loser in his youth, but that's so hard to grasp.
>>
>Napoleon was feeling like a loser in his youth
This is true, but Napoleon's youth was anything but mundane. He felt like a loser because he had to start supporting a family of nine from when he was 15 so he had to live frugal as fuck.
>>
>>6768649
>or that Napoleon was feeling like a loser
He was loser after all
>>
>>6768649
>tfw approaching Julius Caesar hairline in that pic
Oh god oh fuck
>>
>>6768649
All great men were INTJ. They most certainly were loners.
>>
>>6768730
Pretty sure Jesus wasn't a loner anon
>>
>>6768730
>>6768768
Neither was Alexander
>>
>>6768730
Neither was Caesar
>>
>>6768649
There are tons of stories about Napoleon or Caesar being complete chads in their youth though like Caesar story from when he got kidnapped by pirates and Napoleon allegedly playing commander during snowball fights
>>
>>6768721
Why do you think he loved the laurel crown?
>>
>>6769124
I might wear a fuckin laurel crown
>>
>>6769136
You have to earn one
>>
>>6769205
Want to conquer France with me real quick?
>>
>>6768649
That's because you've read historical takes on these people that were larger than they were, and separate from the people.

If you read about the person Caesar, eventually you'll very much be able to picture him being bored and having a bad day. Guy was just an opportunistic fuck who always tried improving his own situation and always tried seeing the positive side of things

One thing lead to another in his case which is why we today know of him in the way that we do. He didn't think "One day I'll conquer Gaul" in his youth, he was flung in that situation and always prevailed

Guy could have a boring day, or feel like a loser, or trip and fall. He swam from the harbour in Alexandria to the palace alone trying to holding important things like map and shit above water level

Guy was a regular person. Napoleon too
>>
>>6769066
Those are things written about them after both were great people they're likely exaggerated
>>
>>6769240
Well I wouldn't call him a regular person. He was clearly some balance of highly intelligent and highly motivated.
>>
>>6768649
Napoleon and Caesar probably fapped.
>>
>>6769066
You didn't Caesar expect to tell how he cried like a bitch when they dressed him up as a trap and ran a train on him.
Why do you think he had them all killed? Think about it.
>>
>>6769264
Obviously. No person who achieves a lot of things and leads a lot of people is retarded and stupid

He was intelligent and highly motivated, but he wasn't the impossible tale we read of him today, he was a regular person

he was tasked by the helvetii, he saw an opportunity and he took it, he won and he moved on, uprising, dealt with, lets explore britannia, lets go back, one thing lead to another next thing you know he pacified gaul. We today read of it as some mad amazing campaign but he was close to death many times and it was actually a shitshow with a lot of grit

guy was a person with a lot of achievements. People of his kind exist today, too, he wasn't unique, he just had a fucking interesting life
>>
>>6769066
Nah Napoleon was bullied for being a lower class noble, dressing like a poorfag, being a poorfag, speaking with an accent, and generally looking unmanly on account of him not having enough food to eat. He also spent all his time avoiding others and reading, books were basically the one thing he spent what free money he had on.
>>
>>6769316
Did they give him a wedgie?
>>
File: 91DrZ5GoGyL.jpg (842 KB, 1707x2560)
842 KB
842 KB JPG
>>6768649
Anon you should read Napoleon A Life by Andrew Roberts to see just how human Napoleon was. It's a really good book even though he goes full nappyboo half way through.
>>
>>6768649
>>Caesar
>>mundane youth
>>
>>6769331
I'm referring to the author going nappyboo of course.
>>
>>6769337
Don't have sex.
>>
>>6769400
Have sex with me.
>>
>>6769218
If we’re gonna do it we gotta do it for the glory of Rome and Saturn.
>>
>>6769292
Being fucked by another man was less gay than eating pussy. Romans were truly wise beyond their years
>>
>>6768730
>am intp
tfw will die in obscurity
>>
Caesar took it up the ass from the King of Bithynia, Nikomedes. Nikomedes wasn’t even a particularly good ruler.
>>
>>6769066
>Napoleon allegedly playing commander during snowball fights
This has been so thoroughly debunked that seeing it repeated here fills me with depression.
>>
>>6769445
iktf
>>
>>6769450
>Nikomedes wasn’t even a particularly good ruler.
So, just like with Cleopatra. It seems Julius had a thing for mediocrity.
>>
>>6770710
Nikomedes was also literally geriatric and Caesar was in his early 20.
>>
What keeps me going when I feel like an all out failure is that Marius and Sulla both barely accomplished anything of note until they were in their fifties. Yet now we know their names 2000+ years later. As long as you don't give up completely and bide your time you might still get a chance to shine.
>>
>>6768708
This was perfectly mundane by the standards of his time, even for a minor "noble" family.
>>
>>6770712
They might have been bad rulers, but they certainly had other "assets."
>>
>>6768730
>delusional introverts attempting to hold onto the last bit of hope
They were all extroverts and their biggest quality was arguably communication.
>>
>>6768649
>Napoleon was feeling like a loser in his youth
Wasn't Napoleon a general by the age of 24? How are we defining "youth" here?
>>
>>6768730
>They most certainly were loners
How do you look at Caesar's life, all his charisma, grand speeches, friends, women, and think "yep, that guy was a loner"?
>>
>>6769450
Be careful anon, you don't want his ghost to fuck your wife
>>
>>6768730
Quite the opposite. They were neurotypicals.
>>
>>6768730
>Is in the centre of political attention as a teenager because Sulla distrusts everyone who has ties to Marius
>Becomes a war hero in his early twenties
>Is so charismatic that he builds such a close relationship to the king of Bithynia that people wonder if they are lovers
>Bangs all the women in Rome
>Is such a good orator and lawyer that even Cicero commends him for his talent and charisma
>Is so well known and liked by everyone that he is elected to every office of the cursus honorum and the aedilate in his year
>Is so well known and liked by everyone that he gets elected Pontifex Maximus before even becoming Praetor while beating accomplished consulars like Isauricus and Catulus
Yeah Caesar was one of those loners who never really left his house. Like a shadow or a ghost this guy.
>>
>>6768649
I know this is slightly off topic but that's the first Roman thread I saw and I wanted to ask something
I read the
>Gaul was buggered by our Caesar,
>By King Nicomedus he,
>Here comes Caesar, wreathed in laurels,
>For his Gallic victory.
>Nicomedus wears no laurels,
>Though the greatest of the three.
Marching song but I don't get the joke on the last verse.
>>
Alexander honestly was probably never bored once in his life and had a youth filled with exceptional experiences none of us could possibly imagine
>>
>>6771053
Shhhh, don't tell the people here, that. They want to believe that they too can be great, and the Chads from their old high school (who were Chads mostly because of good social skills), will fail, even though they are well liked
>>
>>6772605
Gaul was conquered by Caesar, he was conquered(fucked in the butt) by Nicomedus making Nicomedus the greatest of the three as conqueror of the conqueror.
>>
File: 1560398089913.png (407 KB, 701x774)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>6769331
The best to ever do it
>>
>>6772794
Based. I didn't count Gaul so I was bamboozled on who was the third one.
>>
>>6769322
God, the swirlies must've been awful.
>>
>>6769240
I once saw a tv drama about a Chinese warlord that had a conversation that really stuck with me:

>”What will you do? Will you really overthrow the Han dynasty and replace it?”
>”I don’t know. To tell you the truth, I just don’t know. I was born into a eunuch’s family. At twenty I was nominated for office. I never could have imagined that I would raise troops against Dong Zhuo, that I would reach the highest levels of office. And most of all I never could have imagined that Yuan Shao, whose fame and power was always greater than mine, could be beaten by me. That night, I left my family in my main camp and went myself to attack Wuchao, never imagining that Yuan Shao would try to attack my main camp instead of attacking and killing me. That’s just how things are. We can’t say for certain. We can only take one step, and speak of the next.”

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.