[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: battle_of_fei_river.jpg (50 KB, 470x352)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Now that the dust truly has settled - what was the worst battle/siege in history? Post greentexts, stories, anecdotes.

Contenders:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Baghdad_(1258)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rzhev,_Summer_1942
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fei_River
>>
From Nanjing i believe.
>>
The Battle of Aughrim on July 12th, 1691 was arguably the most bloody ever on Irish soil

Both armies numbered about 20,000 men, the Jacobites under St Ruth being mostly Irish Catholics, while Godert van Ginkel, the Williamites’ Dutch general, commanded a force of Irish, English, Scottish, Danish, German and Dutch Protestants, along with French Huguenots.

St Ruth, after the third infantry rush on the Williamite position, believed that the battle was there for the winning, but following his decapitation by a cannonball and the disappearance of his second-in-command, his cavalry, demoralised by the general confusion and their leader’s sudden death, fled the battlefield on the left flank.

The castle quickly fell, its Jacobite garrison surrendered, and thousands, judging the situation to be hopeless, began to flee as dusk threatened, but were easy meat for the Williamite cavalry, since many of them had thrown away their weapons and supplies in order to run faster.

Contemporary accounts spoke of the grass being slippery with blood and of “vast numbers of languishing forms, left lifeless in the mountains and corroded by worms”. It is worth noting, too, that the Jacobite dead, like countless Famine victims, were deprived of burial
>>
>>6750129
leningrad, cold harbor, and the somme
>>
File: D869_77_394_1200.jpg (378 KB, 1200x871)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
Prolonged close-quarters combat tended to be somewhat rare in the 18th and 19th century warfare (contrary to what you might see in a movie like the Patriot), but it did happen on occasion, and when it did, things often got bloody.

>I bayoneted the first Russian in the chest: he fell dead. I was then stabbed in the mouth with great force, which caused me to stagger back, where I shot this second Russian and ran a third through. A fourth and fifth came at me and ran me through the right side. I fell but managed to run one through and brought him down. I stunned him by kicking him, whilst I was engaging my bayonet with another one. Sergeant-Major Algar called out to me not to kick the man that was down, but being dead he was very troublesome to my legs; I was fighting over his body. I returned to the Battery and spat out my teeth: I found only two.

- Private Bancroft of the Grenadiers describing the fighting around the Sandbag Battery during the Battle of Inkerman.
>>
>>6750696
Hard to argue with any of these
>>
>>6750935
Verdun
>>
The Meme Wars.

Veteran here. Fought on /pol/ against JIDF, Reddit, and Bernouts.

Watched Bernie Bros get stabbed in the back by their "allies."

Days awake. No rest. I was up longer than the Taliban got "tortured" with sleep deprivation.

Memes dropped like shells.

I was banned and suspended many times.

I fought hard. My WWII vet grandpa would be proud.

And...

We won.
>>
bbump
>>
>>6750129
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Caporetto
>>
The siege of Port Hudson, Louisiana, a mini-Vicksburg overshadowed by Vicksburg itself. Longest siege in American history if you don’t count Petersburg as a true siege. 30, 000 mostly second rate Union troops, poorly led, starving out 6000 tough western Confederates. Yankees were slaughtered in hopeless frontal assaults, including the first large scale use of black troops. Bodies rotting in the Louisiana summer, disease, Rebs eating rats and mules. They finally surrendered when waves of dead animals and garbage cans floating down the Mississippi and they knew Vicksburg had surrendered. One of my ancestors was in the 15th Arkansas and totally PTSDed for life.
>>
>>6751052
Oi m8 ave ya got a loicense fo that b8?
>>
>>6752217
Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms describes the chaos of the Italian collapse at Caporetto.
>>
>>6752311
I forgot to mention that Port Hudson was a naval battle as well, with Admiral Farragut bringing his blue water ships up the Mississippi to try and run the batteries at Port Hudson, the first high ground on the river. At the same time some Union river ironclads came down the river, as well as the Ellet fleet, gunboats controlled by the Army who were manned by river pirate types. A spectacular night battle, lots of shelling from the federals, and cutting off the river led to the defenders starving out and giving up.
>>
>>6750129
That one where 30k people got eaten because the defenders are out of supply
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld_(955)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Ostend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Antioch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun
>>
>>6750636
what did we do as a people to deserve so much shit luck
>>
>>6750576
The fiction section is >>>/lit/
>>
>>6752740
Its called the paddy factor;the irish decided to use english ammo in their french muskets and found it didnt fit.
>>
>>6750129
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rzhev,_Summer_1942

360 000 casualties from one battle alone
fuck WW2
>>
>>6752861
there's literally proof in the POST you REPLIED TO
>>
>>6750576
Never happened chink. Tennōheika Banzai
>>
>>6752861
jap boi denying war crimes, what's new
>>
>>6750576
seconded for this also unit 731
>>
>>6754621
That's the most rudimentary photoshop I've ever seen. The lighting isn't even remotely similar on the baby compared to the """nips"""
>>
File: Castelnuovo2.jpg (103 KB, 322x553)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>6750129
>Almost all of the Janissaries and 16,000 from the other Ottoman units were killed in the assault. According to rumor, Turkish losses amounted to 37,000 dead.[9][10] Of the Spanish troops only 200 survived, most of them wounded. One of the prisoners was the Biscayan Captain Machín de Munguía. Barbarossa, upon learning this, offered Munguía freedom and a place in his army. The admiral greatly admired him for his actions in the battle of Preveza, where the Spaniard had successfully defended a sinking Venetian carrack against several Ottoman warships.[30] Munguía refused to accept and was therefore beheaded on the spur of the admiral's galley.[9] Half of the prisoners and all the clerics were also slaughtered to satisfy the Ottoman soldiers, who were angry at the great losses which they had suffered in capturing the city.[9] The few survivors were taken as slaves to Constantinople. Twenty-five of them managed to escape from prison six years later and sailed to the port of Messina

This one is pretty kino.
>>
>>6755017
>it's hip when g*rms do it
>it's hip when it's against brown people
You picked the wrong board to try and lambast war crimes.
>>
>>6750576
The Rape of Nanjing did happen but that photo is a fake. A very old fake.
>>
>>6752740
I don't know.
But it comes around eventually.
>>
>>6752424
That one shocked me and it takes a lot at this point.
>>
File: flint arrow wound.jpg (89 KB, 850x638)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>6750129
The Bronze Age is full of bloodbaths we'll never know about:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

Imagine:
>be some local tribesman
>spend life farming in the warm times and hunting in the cold times
>you've seen only fifty people in your entire life, most are your siblings or cousins
>a few years ago, some traveling men wearing the shiniest rocks you've ever seen passed by.
>they sold you a 3in. knife made out the shiny rocks in exchange for food and amber
>it can shatter any rock spear heads like nothing
>it can puncture flesh without much effort
>it must be blessed by those foreigner's gods
>wear it around your neck like an idol
>all of a sudden, the tribe neighboring you approaches the stream dividing your two lands
>gather up the boys, they must be after your crops and sisters
>turns out they come bearing ill news
>there is a large horde of innumerable warriors approaching our homes
>the shallows of the uncrossable river nearby seem to be their target
>told to pack up our things and move our families across
>we do
>arrive at the river
>the shallows, normally serene with only birds and bugs around to make noise, are packed with so many people
>don't even have a number in your language large enough to count them all
>some are as dark as the soil beneath your feet
>others have black hair with curls so tight that it matched sheep's wool
> the men are bearing arms while the women works to keep everyone in the large gathering fed and clothed
>settle your family alongside them
>the strangers smile a lot and seem friendly, but their words are entirely alien
>that night, you finally see him
>him
>he rode on thee largest horse you had ever witnessed in your life
>wait, what’s a horse??
>>
File: Bronze age collapse.jpg (54 KB, 750x501)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>6757190
>on top of those beautiful clothes was a full suit of shiny rocks
>each piece of shiny rock clothes were as hard as the knife you carried
>you grip your idol close to your chest
>this must be the foreign god in mortal form
>run back to your family
>tell them in a headrush about seeing this man-god atop his divine equine
>they follow you back to where you saw him
>though he is gone, the monstrous hoofprints left behind are evidence enough for your mother and siblings
>the night passes uneventfully, but the cacophony of snoring, men and women making love, and babies crying is enough to keep you awake through the night
>the sun rises
>someone rings out a loud cry through a sheep’s horn
>though distant, it was loud enough to bring grave tidings to everyone present
>the men around your tent are mobilizing to the river crossing
>the women and children flee into the nearby woods behind you
>bid your mother and siblings farewell as you take up your father’s flint tipped spear and furs
>they fit you as well as they fit him back in his prime
>the thousands of foreigners you camped with assemble all around you
>the dizzying array of exotic arms and armor is overwhelming
>some appear to have emerged from primitive caves with nothing but bone and ashe covering their naked flesh
>others are bundled in flaxen shirts with no leathers or furs to speak of
>everyone is armed with some kind of weapon however
>your finely made spear is just one of hundreds
>then he appears
>the man-god shines like the sun itself in his fascinating shirt made from the shiny rocks
>he now bears a helmet and leggings also made from the amazing material
>two large, pointed horns jut out from the sides of his helmet akin to a ram
>he bellows out in a raspy voice words of great vigor and anger
>though too foreign for you to understand, his face and those around you who could understand were enough
>when the great horde appears on the horizon, he lets out a great cry
>>
>>6757197
>the mob around you follows suit
>unable to contain the adrenaline, you follow suit
>you did not know your voice could grow so loud
>rising on the high of four thousand voices, the resounding uproar of your spirits cause the approaching horde to halt
>they reply with their own vigorous warcry
>looking around, you notice the man-god leading you is arranging a squadron of spearmen to the front of your mob
>bearing large shields and armed with shiny-tipped spears, they professionally formed into a neat line that encompassed the length of the shallows
>men bearing large cloth banners began waving the mob and you up to the line
>packed in like sheep to a pen, your neighbor shakes like he is freezing
>the warm morning sun and green leaves on the trees tell you otherwise
>try to comfort him
>he turns awkwardly
>eyes so blue that they matched the sky above look down on you
>your words do little for him, so you try a smile
>he reciprocates the toothy expression
>waves of what sound like thunder reach your ears
>the horde approaches
>the many hunters in your tribe and the allied clans move up
>the man-god shouts wildly while pointing with his long knife
>it glitters in the high sun as he does
>your eyes follow it like a moth to a flame
>a flash of passing arrows wakes you from your daydream
>hundreds of shafts rise into the sky lazily before beginning their descent
>the coming mob begins to buzz in panic
>some shout, others begin to run in all directions
>the impact of so many arrows causes a great rise of pain and screams from the horde
>angry shouting from their own banner men starts to regain order
>see their own hunters take to the foray
>your own bannermen begin shouting wildly at you
>they are waving their arms outward like they are swimming
>eyes wider than the sun seem desperate to tell you something
>your neighbor wastes no time in breaking formation
>as does the man behind you
>look up into the sky and see the incoming arrows
>too late to move
>>
>>6757202
>they come like a light rain
>the few arrows that had fletching sing like the pitter patter of an autumn drizzle
>the remaining naked shafts whistle by you
>a wave of painful screams and shrieks pierce your ears
>almost too loud to stand, you cover your ears with both hands
>your father’s spear falls into the mud
>clumsily bending down to reach with one hand, you are knocked down by a stumbling man
>the once marshy ground is wet with crimson life blood
>peering up, you see the stumbling man that was once standing right beside you
>he falls to his knees, making the most awful gurgling noise
>collapsing next to you, his sky blue eyes are wide in fear
>two arrows buried deep into his left lung and throat snapped when his chest hit the ground
>a third protrudes from his head like an antler
>how suddenly still he looks after all that struggle
>it makes you shiver
>shouting banner men are desperately trying to get you back to the line
>a passing clansmen scoops you up by the scruff
>face painted a stark navy blue from pigment mixed with animal fats looks you over once
>laughing madly, he drags you to the front with him
>armed only with a wooden club the length of your arm, he shouts wildly in what you can only assume to be the most vulgar words in his native tongue
>the man-god’s own spearmen did not waver from the front
>their mighty shields absorbed many arrows
>looking between two of them, you notice the approaching horde
>you can make out some of their faces at this point
>many look as terrified as you do
>goaded on by their own bannermen, they eventually break ranks and charge across the river
>the man-god shouts one last time from atop his horse
>the spearmen in front of you advance forward
>unable to flee, your feet seem to follow the path set out by the warrior directly ahead of you
>the cool water rinses over your feet
>>
File: bronze rapier.jpg (519 KB, 1167x1563)
519 KB
519 KB JPG
>>6757209
>it helps to ground you as your own formation braces for impact
>another wave of arrows from the enemy impacts your mob
>one buries itself deep into the spearmen ahead of you
>though tall, his shield failed to catch the incoming missile
>he collapses immediately
>you try to stop and pick him up from the murky water
>the inertia of your own formation pushing forward nearly makes you tumble in too
>unable to save him, you step past the arm reaching out of the water desperate for a savior
>a banshee shout brings your attention to the front
>a naked man bearing a stone axe and antler dagger is trudging towards you
>lowering your father’s spear just in time, you manage to skewer the man wildly swinging his ax above his head
>you expect him to be in grave pain
>he instead appears surprised
>reaching down with both hands, his weapons fall into the already bloody river
>a loose arm that once belonged to a man floats by on the lazy red water
>the man firmly planted onto your weapon tilts over
>falling onto his neighbor, the other hostile warrior is hardly disturbed as he fights against an allied spearman
>men pushing from behind you are packed so tight that you cannot pull the spear back again to get it out
>this is madness
>you have no choice but to release the shish-kebab and reach for your idol
>the small dagger shone greatly against the light
>planting it against your lips for a kiss, you look forward one last time
>another enemy swiftly replaces the one already lost among the other corpses
>the approaching warrior eyes your dagger with great fear
>his own flint dagger was tightly gripped in his left hand
>his right hand bore a small wooden shield poorly put together not long ago
>bearing your teeth, you grapple his dagger hand while avoiding a punching from the shielded one
>a quick downward thrust with your dagger into his neck yields a woman-like scream from the man
>a second silences him
>a burgundy fountain coats your face
>>
File: Bronze Celt swords.jpg (60 KB, 800x528)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>6757217
>before you could withdraw it, a sudden piercing pain cracks across the top of your head
>black void overtakes your sight, your ears seemingly no longer work
>stars trickle across your wide gaze as sight eecks its way back to you
>ears ringing, you can hardly stand anymore
>knees buckle as you turn to see a nearby warrior wielding a knobby wooden club
>he has the same face as the man you just slain, only far younger
>he brings the club up for a second strike
>you try to raise your hand to stay the blow, but your legs give out
>collapsing into the river still clutching the bleeding tribesman, the murky water overtakes your sight
>running water fills your ears to replace the awful cries and shrieks of men
>soon a set of feet step on top of you, pushing out all your breath
>too delirious to even know where the surface is, death swiftly takes you to your gods

Shit’s insane man, the bronze age was no joke
>>
File: Henry.jpg (57 KB, 620x413)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Battle of Flodden: 9th September 1513

While Henry VIII was away fighting in France, James IV of Scotland declared war and invaded England with an army of 30,000 men. James was married to Henry VIII's sister, and in 1502 had signed a "Treaty of Perpetual Peace" with England, but was also bound by the Auld Aliance treaty between Scotland and France.

In the absence of the king, the 70-year old Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey, commanded the English troops.He stopped off at Durham Cathedral to attend mass and collect the Banner of St Cuthbert to use as a talisman in the coming battle. By the end of August he was in Newcastle with the bulk of his army, which was still little over half the size of the Scottish army.

When the two armies met on 9 September, the Scottish pikemen initially broke the English right wing, inflicting heavy casualties. James IV, thinking that the battle was won, charged down on foot towards the centre of the English lines. He and his men were badly affected by muddy conditions – it had been a very wet summer. The English counter-attack, assisted by Sir Edward Stanley's longbowmen was devastatingly effective. In the close combat conditions, the English billhook was far more effective a weapon than the lengthy and cumbersome Scottish pike, and it is thought that as many as 10,000 Scottish soldiers were killed by nightfall – the dead including the King, two abbots, nine earls and 15 barons
>>
File: English longbow salute.gif (1.9 MB, 500x281)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>6757296
Christ, just having a little patience would have saved the whole battle. Pays to be English, I guess
>>
>>6757190
>>6757197
>>6757202
>>6757209
>>6757217
>>6757221

thanks for triggering my claustrophobia
>>
>>6750576
Take it to >>>/x/, schizo
>>
>>6757190
Makes me want to watch Conan again
>>
>>6757221
Thanks anon I enjoyed that
>>
File: 1559149051660.jpg (229 KB, 650x900)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
People forget how barbaric the first gulf war was. Lots of Iraqis were buried or burned alive and know one talks about it. Depleted uranium poisoning too
>>
>A soldier from New York: "The town of Titatia was surrendered to us a few days ago, and two companies occupy the same. Last night one of our boys was found shot and his stomach cut open. Immediately orders were received from General Wheaton to burn the town and kill every native in sight; which was done to a finish. About 1,000 men, women and children were reported killed. I am probably growing hard-hearted, for I am in my glory when I can sight my gun on some dark skin and pull the trigger."[109]
>>
>>6751052
>against reddit
with reddit spacing?
>against JIDF
by memeing the most Zionist canditate ever?
>>
File: 144752486631.jpg (88 KB, 500x495)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>6758018
>whitebois have to resort to killing women and children because they can't face the red man in battle
>>
bump
>>
File: ueuMds4.0.png (171 KB, 950x765)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
>>6758189
>AGHGHGHGH SAVE ME GREAT SPIRIT IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO END LIKE THIS...
>>
File: yt.png (268 KB, 1920x705)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>6760602
>sorry, I was busy
>>
File: Under_the_yoke.jpg (56 KB, 495x426)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Battle of Arousio, 6th oct.105BC

When Caepio learned that Maximus was at an advanced stage of negotiations and truce was about to be agreed upon, He attacked the Cimbri forces on 6th of October, 105 BCE, and the Cimbri army brutally destroyed legions of Caepio’s army. With this decisive victory, the Germanic army felt confident enough to march on Maximus’ camp. Although Maximus tried to ready his soldiers, it was not enough to repeal the fierce Cimbri army.

The outcome was a devastating experience and the casualties were staggering, over 80,000 infantry lost their lives as well as more than 40,000 auxiliaries and calvary. The figures dwarf the tragic defeat at Cannae. Indeed, the Battle of Arausio ranks among one of the worse defeats that early Roman Empire suffered.

Caepio managed to escape unharmed, but on getting to Rome, he was tried for the excessive losses of his troops by the Tribune of the Plebs.He was stripped of Roman citizenship, denied fire and water within 800 miles of Rome, and was barred from speaking to his family and friends until exile. Finally, he was fined a whopping 15,000 talents of gold, more than the famous aurum Tolosanum he had plundered on the way to the battle, which was assumed to be cursed gold taken from the Balkans during the time of the Gallic invasion.
>>
>>6750576
>>
>>6751052
Cringe
>>
>>6760670
based Danes
>>
>>6752861
>>6754626
>>6757346
proof?
>>
>>6750129
Probably the worst place to be at one point in history is Verdun in 1916. As both a strategic and sentimental location, the Fortress city was to be defended at all costs. Von Falkenhayn later claimed he used the battle to lure the French into a battle for attrition. Whilst this is questionable, there is no doubt this is what the battle achieved and it nearly broke the French army.

The Germans began their attack in February with, as usual, a massive artillery strike. There was a salient around Verdun, meaning it could be attacked from multiple sides. The hills around the city were the main defences, and whilst almost totally annihilated the few surviving French took up defensive positions and managed to call in artillery. The charging Germans, sprawling in the open, were then massacred in turn. However, the worst of the battle was yet to come.

The French could not allow a break in the online, and were thus forced to flood a compact area of fortifications and trench works with large numbers of men. This was therefor perfect ground for the Germans to use their superior artillery. Whilst there is a lot of competition, Verdun lays claim to the most intense artillery bombardment if you go by area divided by shells. A continuous bombardment of this scale is very difficult for our modern minds to comprehend. A common technique was the rolling drum- every best of a drum roll was instead a high explosive shell. Eyewitnesses reported that wooded areas were almost instantly deforested, and trees blasted into the air would be hit by shells mid air due to the density of ordinance. This shelling went on for days. cont.
>>
>>6760757
It was so bad it became impossible to maintain supply or contact with the men at the front. This means no fresh water, no food, and no reinforcements or relief. Men were trapped at the front far longer than they should have, but were forced to hold. Leaving the cramped and disease ridden trench works meant certain death from shrapnel. Within these conditions disease was rife, men with dysentery would often shit in captured helmets and throw them over the trench as an escape. But things got worse- gas. Gas attacks were frequent, but there weren’t enough masks for everyone. In a bunker, the gas poured into the room containing hundreds of men, many wounded and dying. The only source of light in the fort was candle, which the gas suffocated as it made its way through. Men would wrestle for gas masks, as those who didn’t have them would cough up pieces of their chemically burned lungs- dying in agony.

This battle went on for almost the whole of 1916. Realising the French were at breaking point Britain prematurely launched its own nightmare- the Somme. Then in the East the Russians also launched attacks with catastrophic losses. Eventually the Germans were forced to move their artillery to more pressed sectors and took up a defensive stance. Now the tables were turned, and it was the Germans experiencing the artillery and gas. cont.
>>
>>6760758
This is a relatively tiny piece of land, packed full of men and constantly blasted to pieces for months. It doesn’t get much worse than this. Even if you survive, the experience alone of being trapped underground for sometimes weeks at a time and facing constant gas and shelling, with extreme disease thirst and hunger, rightly gave Verdun its reputation as the worst battle of WW1 for both the French and Germans. These were ordinary young men. Conscripted into the army, they would’ve led normal lives if not for the war. Now they found themselves in this hellscape. We have a large degree of separation with most of the people who experienced the battles of this thread, but these were modern men who lived in societies not too dissimilar from our own, yet they still experienced the worst horrors of a siege combined with the destruction of modern weaponry.
>>
>>6760760
Still can't believe we let ww2 happen after all this shit.
>>
>>6760949
What sets WWI apart I feel is not the barbarity of it. WWII was worse in Eastern Europe, China and the Pacific.
It's the hopelessness and futility. Hundreds of thousands died for a few kilometers and losses like this were treated as something, while bad, that was just how war would be from then. Gallipoli and Isonzo may not have been the worst, but in a way they really show the whole stubborness and lack of care generals appeared to have.
>>
>>6760662
You're a mutt, not an injun
>>
Being a Roman at Cannae would be pretty horrifying, since it was essentially a human version of a slaughter line that forced some Romans to swallow dirt or suffocate themselves rather than wait for hours as tens of thousands of comrades were cut down or gored. It must have been exhausting for Hannibal’s army too, since the process of killing humans with melee weapons is surprisingly inefficient when it comes to over 40,000 men in 1 day.
>>
>>6760662
>Mr. Gomez, I don’t feel so good...
>>
>>6757221
The bronze age collapse must have been apocalyptic for the people living then
>>
>>6763083
Was the anon you replied to describing the collapse specifically?
>>
>>6763499
I think so, the article says the battle occured 3,200 years ago and that's about when the Bronze Age Collapse went down
>>
>>6751052
CHEW CHEW CUm
>>
>>6763746
FOR THE ZION DON
>>
>>6757221
It's crazy how someone could live for 20 years, grow up, learn, love, and create things only for a ten minute river skirmish to destroy him
>>
>>6764535
All things are so very fragile, anon.
>>
Bloodiest in England might have been Towton, meant to be somewhere between 20-40,000 dead
>>
>>6766249
Towton was an absolute slog out with no quarter given. Both sides were trapped between rivers and were far from safety, knowing they couldn’t retreat they butchered each other until the Lancasters finally break.
>>
I'd like to dedicate a moment of silence to reflect on the devastation left by the Finno-Korean Hyperwars
>>
>>6750129
Based now that the dust has settled poster.
>>
>>6757221
At least he went out with a positive kdr
>>
>>6766382
Underrated post.
>>
bump
>>
>>6766467
overrated post
>>
>>6750129
There is a general consensus that WW1 was the worst place to be a soldier.Not even the enemies, their bullets and artillery shelling were as bad as the trench conditions
>>
>>6766444
kek
>>
A kindergarten in my Grandma’s village was fire-bombed ‘accidentally’ by Amerimutt bombers. There was no military prescene in the village, no war production, no nothing. Just refugees.

The remains of the children couldn’t even be identified by the parents.
>>
Towton.
>>
>>6760758
You make it sound like French were 'miracolously' saved by the British launching Somme, while krauts were already relenting and ceasing the offensive long before Somme.
>>
>>6752526
Holy fuck, I never realized that Hungarians fucked up Krauts and even French so bad for almost a century.
>>
>>6769378
The german plan was to knock one of the allies out in 1916, to stop them from all making concerted attacks, to this end Verdun was successful
>>
>>6769404
No, it was not. Krauts lost almost just as much people as French and gutted their own army
>>
>>6768481
start shit, get hit
>>
File: Germs.gif (261 KB, 280x210)
261 KB
261 KB GIF
>>6768481
No, it was bombed on purpose. Krauts are fucking devils.
>>
>>6769413
>and gutted their own army
Strange then, how they could keep fighting and also launch large scale offensives in 1918
>>
>>6769434
>Strange then, how they could keep fighting and also launch large scale offensives in 1918

Because they succeded on the eastern front, (by sending and funding their agent Lenin to start communist revolt in Russia, but thats another story) so they could send most of their forces from there to France.
>>
>>6769447
So only one part of the german army was gutted then?
>>
>>6769420
>>6769428
They weren’t German.
>>
>>6758189
Injuns preferred slaughtering defenseless villages, too.
>>
Friendly reminder that the mongols would’ve lost to the Tang Dynasty.
>>
>>6757190
>>6757197
>>6757202
>>6757209
>>6757217
>>6757221
Masterfully done, anon. Can anyone make a compilation pic of his posts for future use?
>>
>>6757315
Sauce on that gif?
>>
File: nanjingmassacre.jpg (50 KB, 350x477)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>6752861
Imagine denying war crimes when your own people documented what they did
>>
bump
>>
>>6770690
Not the guy who posted it but that’s from the anime Maria the Virgin Witch. Skallagrim did a video on how it portrays the most accurate medieval combat in media.
>>
>>6769378
Hardly miraculous. Joffre kept begging the British to launch their offensive early to take pressure off Verdun, whilst it wasn’t some big turning point it was necessary to ease the pressure on the French who were facing the brunt of it. That’s partly why the Somme went so badly since the offensive wasn’t fully prepared for, and there were nowhere near enough high explosive shells to clear the defences.
>>
>>6771597
weebaoo
>>
>The Iraqis heavily used Mi-25 Hind to "hunt" the Iranian troops in the marshes, killing many soldiers. On 27 February, Iran finally captured Majnoon Island, but lost 49 of their own helicopters shot down by Iraqi jet fighters. Fighting took place in waters over 2 meters deep at times. Iraq in response to the attacks ran live electrical cables through the water, electrocuting numerous Iranian troops and then displaying their corpses on state television.
>>
>>6773038
damn
>>
File: sad mao.png (787 KB, 726x543)
787 KB
787 KB PNG
>>6764535
Meanwhile I'm 21 and I haven't done anything in my life
>>
What's worse, dying slowly and painfully looking at your own guts from a stray bullet fired by some machine gunner half a mile away who didn't even see you during a shootout or dying slowly and painfully from a dude who just stabbed you after bashing your skull in and poking your eye out in a pre-firearms battle?
>>
>>6773290
Being betrayed by Arminius.
>>
>>6773038
>>6773209

This is how the Iraqis kept Iranian helicopters and paratroopers away
>>
>>6757346
Hiroshima and Nagasaki deserved it you gook freak
>>
File: 478.jpg (1.12 MB, 1432x1790)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>6770720
>beheading partisan terrorists who launch illegal attacks on Japanese soldiers and civilians behind the lines
>war crime
>>
>>6774146
To mark graves?
>>
>>6774175
>The absolute delusion

Troll harder weeaboo
>>
>>6771597
Thank you

>>6772195
Get fucked nerd lmao
>>
>>6774231
>jump out of plane
>finally see the ground
>it's covered in cars
>impact them at 27ft./second
>break all the bones in your lower body
>>
>>6750576
A lot of terrible things happened in Nanking, but
1. That image is supposed to be from the Battle of Shanghai
2. It's actually an infamously doctored photo made for the sake of propaganda during the war
>>
>>6773269
same

>>6770627
Here is an old cap from the first time that I wrote this

>>6757321
no problem

>>6757801
what is best in life?

>>6757997
you're welcome
>>
>>6774336
Oh. Thank you for explaining.
>>
>>6757190
A chariot would be more appropriate for the period. Horses large enough to carry warriors didn't exist in the bronze age.
>>
>>6774616
that's true, I hear they were donkey sized at best
>>
>>6774347
You're welcome, the Iran-Iraq war is seldom discussed, but one of the most intense wars of the 20th century
>>
>>6767639
I rate this post 0/5
>>
>>6774146
Shit like this, repurposing civilian, everyday stuff to make makeshift deathtraps is so interesting
>>
>>6750129
The single bloodiest day in military history was the battle of Arausio, a Roman blow-out which exceeded Cannae in terms of the sheer scale of loss
>>
>>6757221
We really don't know our history. We may have fragments, but I can only imagine what was lost from libraries burning down or being purposefully destroyed during Roman rule and medieval times
>>
bumping a good thread
>>
>>6764535

The first time I held a rifle to a detainees head I knew that I no longer wanted to fight anyone.
>>
Battle for Berlin
>45000 artillery pieces dropping more tonnes of shells than allied bombers dropped on Berlin
>old men and kids being forced to fight
>the ones that try not to end up hanged by SS for 'desertion'
>tanks turned into bunkers
>every single window has the potential of having a German sniper, machine gunner, or panzerfaust hidden
>big fucken fortified concrete flak towers
>the last stand at the reichstag
>soldiers trying to get to the western lines to surrender to allies or English instead of soviets
Sounds like hell for both attacker and defender alike
>>
>>6779579
Where were you?
>>
>>6779967
Gary, Indiana
>>
>>6757221
10/10 we need more bronze age fiction. it was only the dawn of civilization after all
>>
File: ayy.jpg (8 KB, 300x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>6780854
>it was only the dawn of civilization after all
>he doesn't know
>>
>>6774821
my great uncle was a major during that war. alot of family members on both mum and dads side served. they all came back lol
>>
>>6757801
Funny how Howard wanted to write historical fiction but due to not enough material to study he settled on fantasy to avoid inaccuracies.
>>
>>6779739
At least the Soviets got to rape to their hearts content.
>>
File: 1500103270103.jpg (39 KB, 321x326)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>6782036
>having russians break into your home only to drag you and your relatives on a public square, along with hundreds of other women to have you all lined up and raped on the curb
>>
Can’t remember name but there was that battle where the Chinese ate each other while under siege.
>>
>>6782065
/his/ is a blue board. Please calm down.
>>
>>6781941
Good for them, Iraqi side I'm guessing? I see Iranian tactics being far more human wave and man power while the Iraqis fought using more modern conventions
>>
>>6750129
forgive english, i am Russia. i come to study clothing and fashion at American university. i am here little time and i am very hard stress. i am gay also and this very difficult for me, i am very religion person. i never act to be gay with other men before. but after i am in america 6 weeks i am my friend together he is gay also. He was show me American fashion and then we are kiss. We sex together. I never before now am tell my mother about gay because i am very shame. As i fock this American boy it is very good to me but also i am feel so guilty. I feel extreme guilty as I begin orgasm. I feel so guilty that I pick up my telephone and call Mother in Russia. I awaken her. It too late for stopping so I am cumming sex. I am very upset and guilty and crying, so I yell her, "I AM CUM FROM SEX" (in Russia). She say what? I say "I AM CUM FROM SEX" and she say you boy, do not marry American girl, and I say "NO I AM CUM FROM SEX WITH MAN, I AM IN ASS, I CUM IN ASS" and my mother very angry me. She not get scared though. I hang up phone and am very embarrass. My friend also he is very embarrass. I am guilt and feel very stupid. I wonder, why do I gay with man? But I continue because when it spurt it feel very good in American ass.
>>
>>6783665
old

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.