[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How important was the role of religion in the ACW ?
>>
Not very important, although some religious people in New England made abolitionism their holy mission.
>>
Southerners claimed that negroes were afflicted with the curse of Ham, which supposedly justified their submission to whites
>>
very important since many men would soon meet their deaths and their widows would depend on their religious ties for support from the community
>>
I heard something about Jefferson Davis being made aware of the result of some major battle whilst attending a Mass.
>>
>>6625174
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on, His truth is marching

Glory, glory, Hallelujah! Glory, glory, Hallelujah!
Glory, glory, Hallelujah! His truth is marching on

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps
His day is marching on

Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free
While God is marching on

Glory, glory, Hallelujah! Glory, glory, Hallelujah!
Glory, glory, Hallelujah! His truth is marching on!
His truth is marching on! And on and on and on and on and on
>>
The war actually caused one of the largest religious revivals in American history. Mass baptisms occurred in both armies and many men went on to become preachers or other roles in churches or helped start churches in their own communities and communities out west. There's even a rather fascinating story of the Union Army walking up on Confederates performing baptism on a man and instead of attacking both armies sung hymns.
>>
>>6625174
Both sides claimed divine approval obviously, and many men were driven by belief in the divine righteousness of their cause as much as patriotism, but that's true of most wars fought over ideology.
>>
>>6625410
what is a grape of wrath
>>
>>6625503
Biblical prophecies use agricultural metaphors a lot, and the pattern of seed time and harvest. Wine is often used as a metaphor for God’s wrath, as the grapes are grown for a long time and all suddenly and catastrophically smashed, which is a metaphor for how God’s forbearance will eventually run out, and his righteous anger will be unleashed. Hence, “grapes of wrath.”
>>
>>6625531
And also the fact that wine looks a lot like blood doesn’t hurt either.
>>
>>6625430
Interesting

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.