[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 4679-004-8C0793EF.jpg (20 KB, 550x309)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
April 15th, 1912, 2:20 am. The Titanic sinks, around 3 hours after having struck an iceberg. Of the 2200 people on board, around 1500 would not survive the night.

Favorite Titanic books? What interests you most about the disaster? Any trivia you'd like to share? Is Titanic: Honor and Glory ever going to actually be finished? And any other relevant Titanic thoughts you'd like to share.
>>
>>6464581
>Any trivia you'd like to share?

Harry Hosono's grandfather was a passanger, that's pretty cool I guess
>>
File: 1553300765140.jpg (100 KB, 960x720)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>6464581
It was a coverup.
>>
Though it ws probably not the last song, but, since Nearer My God to Thee was (maybe) played at some point during the sinking... which version do you prefer, regardless of how likely it was that the band would have chosen that version?

Propior Deo/Methodist Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwPkgoqaokk

(Wallace Hartley--the bandmaster- had a Methodist choirmaster father, and he grew up in the church, for what it's worth)

Horbury version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10aKBa3tiQ

(most popular in Britain)

Bethany version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0krghZnYMk

(This is the version most often used in the movies but wasn't in the White Star Line books and was mostly used in America)
>>
File: titanrr.jpg (28 KB, 455x295)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Titanic "In Her Own Words," an audio transcription of her wireless system that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqstKa3qcTw

Messages start at 1:34
>>
File: 153174-004-DCEC7380.jpg (9 KB, 230x300)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
This was mentioned on the Titanic: Honor and Glory live stream last night, so I had to check it out. It's a short film called After the Titanic, set to a poem of the same name by Derek Mahon. It focuses on the waning years of Bruce Ismay and the impact the disaster had on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR83U50VNsk
>>
Also I'm working on a book chart that I've been putting off... any particular requests for Titanic book niches?

So far I'm focusing on broad overviews, passenger memoirs, passenger biographies, and the wreck.
>>
>... the curious sense of the whole thing being a dream was very prominent: that all were looking on at the scene from a near-by vantage point in a position of perfect safety, and that those who walked the decks or tied one another’s lifebelts on were the actors in a scene of which we were but spectators: that the dream would end soon and we should wake up to find the scene had vanished

A quote by Lawrence Beesley, Titanic survivor
>>
Someobody help a retard out. There was a Titanic documentary with reenactments, I can't find it anymore. All I remember is that one of the engine room crew got trapped under a door.

Also a different documentary where people where testing out theories, one of them was if all the compartments were flooded the ship could have floated for a while longer. They tested it on a model but it just capsized.
>>
>>6464770
The first one might be Saving the Titanic?
>>
File: H3194-L169362281.jpg (94 KB, 1000x750)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Some interesting Titanic pieces going up for auctoin this month.

This is an extremely rare 'Hands Across the Sea' postcard, written by Henry Olsen on board the Titanic and postmarked at Queenstown on April 11th. These postcards were reserved for passengers on board ships and very few survived.

I only know of one other Hands Across the Sea postcard from Titanic that was around long enough to be auctioned off... will post next.

This postcard included the note:

>S.S. Titanic Dear Sina, on the way to New York. A very nice boat to travel with, you can imagine. Don't feel anything of the sea, will most likely arrive in New York next Tuesday. Love to everyone at Home. Love Your Henry".

He died in the sinking.
>>
Somone post that one screencap of a guy confusing the Titanic with the Lusitania
>>
>>6464835
The other was sent by Samuel Ward Stanton, a painter and illustrator who specialized in steamboats. At the time of his death he was working on a catalog of American steamboats which, even in its unfinished form, is one of the most comprehensive in existence.

Samuel's letter

>Just a note to say that I am doing fine "On Board" Titanic." I have not walked about the entire ship because it is a vast place with a lot of decks. This liner has it all, more like a floating palace. T was an almost collision with another liner, S.S. New York as we departed. The weather good, not too cold. I will write you again soon. Sincerely, Sam
>>
A letter written by Sidney Siebert, who was part of the delivery crew to Belfast and would work as a steward on the Titanic. He sent this letter to his wife Winnie before his departure. They had a two year old daughter, Lilian, and Winnie was pregnant with their 2nd child.

>My dear darling Winnie,

>I have bought a little note paper so that I could drop you a few more lines than I could get on a postcard. As I told you we had a very trying journey here we were over 11 hours in the train and then straight on to the steamboat for another 8 hours and nowhere to sleep all that time and she was a rather old boat we came over by. I hope you are still keeping well. ...

>I expect we are leaving here for our trials on Monday and for home on Tuesday and I can tell you I shall be glad after that long time at home I don’t like being away at all. But I suppose I must not grumble as I have had a good time while I was home and must not get on & earn some money.

>Kiss baby for me tell her her daddy wants to see her and I want to see my other little girl as well. Good Night my own beloved with all the hearts love.

According to fellow steward Andrew Cunningham, Sidney was with him when the ship began to sink. Cunningham testified that they both jumped overboard about 20 minutes before the sinking, and that he, along with several other crew members, swam towards and were picked up by Lifeboat 4 from the water. Sidney died in the boat, presumably from hypothermia or shock, and his body was buried at sea.
>>
>>6464815
it wasn't anon, sorry.
>>
>>6464890
Darn... Well, you should check out Saving the Titanic, anyway.
>>
>>6464912
i've seen it, sorry, thank you.
>>
Some of the hymns sung on board the Titanic. They were part of the April 14th service led by Reverend Ernest Carter.

Lead Kindly Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYbs0Vi1W_Y

Eternal Father, Strong to Save ("For Those in Peril on the Sea")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjwUzUnNpU

On the Resurrection Morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISExEJuask

There is a Green Hill Far Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ybUpuLn8M

The final hymn that night, sung just under 2 hours before she hit the iceberg: Now the Day Is Over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLu0H_5qmkQ
>>
File: H3194-L169362580.jpg (99 KB, 1000x750)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Memorial card to two Welsh champion boxers who died during the sinking.
>>
If the band was playing to keep people calm they probably wouldn't have used such an obvious reminder of death as "Nearer My God to Thee."
>>
>>6465130
Reports of Nearer my God to Thee place it towards being played near the end of the sinking, when the realization of what was going on had already hit and all but the collapsibles were gone. Father Byles was hearing confession, giving absolution, and reciting prayers at that point--why not the band playing religious music?
>>
>>6464842
Speaking of the Lusitania why is the Titanic more remembered than the Lusitania? The Lusitania had almost as much deaths, passengers, and survivors and whatnot.
>>
>>6465632
The tragedy of ship being lost on her maiden voyage, the fact that it was reported as being 'unsinkable', it was a huge blow to man's technology and progress of the 1900's.

Plus it's just a really great story. James Cameron you could not have written a better story than the Titanic.
>>
>>6465650
True, that being said the man-madeness of the Lusitania's fate, the ship going under in under half the time Titanic did, would make it seem to be a more frightful situation deserving a book or film of its own.
>>
>>6465632
Because what makes a historical disaster interesting isn't how many people died. It's about the tragedy and scope of the story as a whole. The nature of the Titanic sinking makes for more compelling human drama when compared to the Lusitania or other ship sinkings, especially war-based ones.

With Titanic, you have this grand ship that the designers, builders and company owners designed to be a "floating palace." A marvel of technical engineering, and a shining example of leisure travel, a triumph of man over what used to be unforgiving (and certainly, not luxurious!) seas.

A ship on her maiden voyage in a then-peaceful world, stocked from top to bottom with literally some of the most prominent people in the world--people whose wealth and power granted them everything and anything they wanted, all the way down to steerage passengers, foreigners and Irishmen and Englishmen, traveling men looking for work or entire families making the courageous decision to head for America and a new life.

The sinking itself was, comparatively speaking to other ship sinkings, drawn out. This makes for, if you'll excuse the expression, a good story. It was long enough for social distinctions to remain intact. It was long enough for people not to devolve into mindless beasts doing whatever they can to survive, as many ship sinkings go. It was long enough for tearful goodbyes and painful decisions and men writing letters to their wives to be tucked into first class ladies coats as they were helped onto the lifeboats.

The nature of the Titanic sinking allowed the Titanic disaster to have "everything" that makes it a compelling piece of history. There are genuine love stories, melodrama, constant if-onlys, tragedy, irony, horror... to paraphrase a Titanic book, "The story of the giant ship that sank on its maiden voyage is so rife with symbolism that if it hadn’t actually happened, we might have had to invent it."
>>
File: 91JMtxRBVTL.jpg (537 KB, 1556x2400)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>6465656
There are books about the Lusitania, and at least one film. A shitty made for TV film but what can ya do.
>>
File: jlvAjyR.gif (491 KB, 500x194)
491 KB
491 KB GIF
It's difficult imagining the horror that these people must have experienced.

>from across the water there came what Archibald Gracie called “the most horrible sounds ever heard by mortal man.” To Hugh Woolner, it was “the most fearful and bloodcurdling wail,” to Rene Harris it was “a sound ... as will haunt all one’s life and into eternity.”

>Lawrence Beesley thought that the cries carried with them “every possible emotion of human fear, despair, agony, fierce resentment and blind anger, mingled--I am certain of this--with notes of infinite surprise, as though each one were saying, 'How is it possible that this awful thing is happening to me?'"
>>
>>6465805
a fuller Gracie quote:

>[it was] the most horrible sounds ever heard. The agonizing cries of death from over a thousand throats, the wails and groans of the suffering, the shrieks of the terror-stricken and the awful gaspings for breath of those in the last throes of drowning, none of us will ever forget to our dying day.

Gracie, it should be noted, survived on the overturned collapsible and was in the midst of this terror himself.

He would die just a few months later, as his health never recovered from the effects of being partially submerged in the freezing water. He spent his last months corresponding madly with Titanic survivors, compiling research for an account he published on the disaster. Gracie was one of the few first class men who was willing to speak up about the tremendous disadvantage that third class passengers had in surviving. He wrote movingly in his account that a "mass of humanity" came from steerage only after the boats had gone.

His last words, spoken in a delirium, were: "We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats."
>>
>>6465789
That's true, I was thinking more from the fear angle, not so much from the storyline. There was life boats constantly being tipped over spilling their passengers, people trapped below decks, et cetera during the Lusitania.
>>
>>6464770

Doesn't one of the crew get crushed under a door in the movie?
>>
Bump
>>
>>6464598
Love that video. Really well done.
>>
>>6465843
I think so. Then again the movie tried to imply that the stokers were trapped as soon as the watertight doors closed, but there were ladders that went up to escape hatches in every boiler room.
>>
>>6464678
Bruce Ismay gets such a terrible rep.
>>
No one here thinks it was an inside job?
>>
>>6468003
Why would you ram a $200,000,000+ (in today's money) ship full of wealthy people into an iceberg in the middle of the frozen ocean on it's first voyage with tons of it's investors and its owner on it?
What would anyone have to gain?
>>
>>6468003
>cost the White Star Line millions of dollars
>terrible press
>international inquiries
>owner slammed in the American press
>devastated local economies
>loss of future profits with the loss of prominent designers and investors
etc

No, we don't think it was an inside job because to think so would make someone irrational and dumb, or both.
>>
>>6468046

The conspiracy theory is that lots of powerful people opposed to the creation of the Federal Reserve were on board and died.

Why you'd sink a huge ship costing millions, in a convoluted plot that assumes they won't get on a lifeboat or that they'll otherwise die before Carpathia arrives when they could just accidentally get run over crossing the street or something more reliable, another matter entirely.
>>
>>6464581
The Titanic has sunk so often in 107 years, it's gotten waterlogged.
>>
>>6468321
sounds like the start of a poem. or an article on the overabundance of titanic media in popular culture.
>>
>>6468321
>The Titanic has sunk so often in 107 years, it's gotten waterlogged. Yet why can't we let go of the unsinkable ship?
>>
>>6464581
>Is Titanic: Honor and Glory ever going to actually be finished?

They said in the latest livestream that they plan on showing something related to the people animations within the next few weeks. Guess we'll see.
>>
bump
>>
Remember hearing that one of the Titanic survivors stopped going to baseball games because the sound of the crowd reminded him of the people in the water after the ship sank.
>>
>>6470236
It was Frank Goldsmith, who was 9 years old at the time of the sinking.

>Mother and I then were permitted through the gateway, and the crewman in charge reached out to grasp the arm of Alfred Rush to pull him through because he must have felt that the young lad was not much older than me, and he was not very tall for his age, but Alfred had not been stalling. He jerked his arm out of the sailor's hand and with his head held high, said, and I quote, 'No! I'm staying here with the men.' At age 16, he died a hero. ... My dad reached down and patted me on the shoulder and said, 'So long, Frankie, I’ll see you later.' He didn’t and he may have known he wouldn’t."

His family moved to a home near what would later become Tiger Stadium. He said the crowd cheering reminded him of the people screaming in the water, and for that reason he never took his children to baseball games.

He wrote a memoir called Echoes in the Night: Memories of a Titanic Survivor
>>
>>6468046
You're implying it hit an iceberg in the first place. There is no evidence of said iceberg.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.