[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Can we conclusively saw how much Southeast Asian culture is Indian compared to Sino? (Excluding Vietnam)
>music
Mostly Sino I think
>script
Indian
>Numbers
Sino (in Thailand and Cambodia at least)
>Zodiac
Both Hindu and Chinese zodiac
>Clothing
Indian by far
>Literature
100% Indian e.g. Ramayana, Mahabharata
>Architecture
High architecture e.g. temples and palaces ware Indian. Vernacular architecture was more "Asian" although definitely not Sino
>Language
Southeast Asian languages generally had 80% Sanskrit loanwords for political and scientific terms. Definitely indian
>>
>>6461574
Only true of Mainland SEA. And in only a few countries nowadays.

Thailand has significant Chinese influence, the Malays and Indons are quite Muslim now, and Flips are basically Asian Latinos.
>>
>>6461581
Even though they became Muslim, their culture is heavily Indian/Hindu. Even more than mainland Southeast Asia in some ways.

Even in Malaysia and Indonesia the national epics are Ramayana and Mahabharata. The Mahabharata was lost in mainland Southeast Asia
>>
>>6461581
>Thailand has significant Chinese influence
Not really true. The Chinese mostly reside in Bangkok and Thailand is the only country known to successfully fully assimilate the Chinese.
>>
>>6461642
>Thailand is the only country known to successfully fully assimilate the Chinese.
What is their secret?? The Laotians, Burmese, Malay, Vietnamese failed at doing so.
>>
>>6461732
The Vietnamese did assimilate them. The current Chinese diaspora in Vietnam are only the 19th and 20th century migrants. The previous waves of Chinese descendants over the past 2,000 years are found in the Vietnamese population.
>>
>>6461742
I thought they expelled Hoa people out after the North Vietnam win the civil war??
>>
>>6461762
There's still 800,000 of them in Vietnam and I'm saying the previous migrants before them were assimilated.
>>
>>6461804
I see, thanks for the clarification. Still wonders how the Thai did it??
>>
>>6461732
Siam had a fascist regime during WW2. They changed the country's name to Thailand after the dominant ethnic group. They had a pan-Thai nationalist movement. Similar to Deutsch-land.

They forced Chinese to adopt Thai names and banned the teaching of Chinese language.
>>
>>6461817
The fascist dictator who forced the adoption of Thai names and banned teaching of Chinese, was a Chinese-Thai himself, Plaek Phibunsongkhram who had a Chinese grandfather. Pure Thai people didn't try to do that.
>>
>>6461817
I see, what about the Chinese that just recently migrated after world war 2 ended?? Phibunsongkram's regime was already deposed by that point but how can they still able to assimilate the later waves of Chinese immigrants??
>>
>>6461852
He hated his Chinese side and he was culturally 100% Thai

He was based
>>
>>6461861
The vast majority of Chinese immigrants came from 100-300 years ago. Its not like Malaysia where they were brought by the Brits
>>
File: Thai Dha.jpg (31 KB, 816x612)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>6461642
>The Chinese mostly reside in Bangkok and Thailand is the only country known to successfully fully assimilate the Chinese.

Yeah and Sriracha and major Thai products have Chinese scribbles on them.

In addition to """Traditional Thai Weapons"""" being of mostly sinitic origin.
>>
>>6462052
there really arent any "Indic weapons" though
>>
>>6462074
Uh yes there is. Not everything had been PERSIANED. The Khanda is one, and several foreward curving knives/swords.
>>
>>6462052
>Sriracha and major Thai products have Chinese scribbles on them
About Sriracha, the one that sells in US is Vietnamese ripped off. Real one in Thailand don't have Chinese scribbles on them.
>>
>>6462052
Plus thai weapons look nothing like Chinese ones. They were used with two hands. A very different fighting style
>>
>>6462217
Dude using the scabbards as an impromptu parrying staff is VERY Chinese.

In addition the Thai-Burmese word for sword- Dab/Daab- has roots in the word "Dao"- the single edged Chinese

Don't even get me started with the Ngao polearms with blades straight out of the Guan Dao.
>>
>>6461762
They did in small waves but Vietnam started to encourage mass emigration of Hoa after the Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979. Some Hoa people fled to Cambodia only for Pol Pot to exterminate in his Killing Fields
>>
File: Kalaripayattu.jpg (134 KB, 700x700)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>6462293
Indians used staff too.
>>
>>6462395
I see.
>>
>>6462580
stop jumping
>>
>>6461817
Dang, I didn't know that (aside from Thailand's name change lol)

Cool
>>
>>6462580
I didn't know that either. Well staves are sticks, so I suppose most people groups used something like a club or staff at one point
>>
>>6462052
that is the plainest curved sword i have ever seen
>>
>>6461574
/his/, if you had to give a definitive boundary between the East-Asian Orient, the Greater Indian sub-continent, and the Pacific Islands region(Australasia), where would you draw the borders regarding Indo-China?
>>
File: asiaregions.jpg (52 KB, 513x404)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>6465651
Easily
Chinks = NEA
Brown chinks = SEA
Pajeets = south Asia
>>
>>6465659
Don't see why Singapore is brown, majority here are Han settlers that literally displaced the Malays

t. Singaporean
>>
>>6461581
brahmin rites are still a part of thai religious culture. I remember being surprised when the brahmins came out at one or other of the protests of the past decade.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.