[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1552386311571.jpg (21 KB, 200x189)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>professor starts talking about how western europeans have ruined their racial purity in the middle of lecture again
>>
>>6296564
Oh shit, that actually happened or you're making this up?
>>
>take Political Science 1001 class
>professor makes us all take political alignment test
>someone asks him his political ideology
>sketches out a left-to-right diagram on the board
>"I'm here economically [gestures to the far left] and about here socially [gestures to the far right"
>>
>>6296577
it did but it's not something controversial to say where I'm from
>>
>professor was locked in his room with a female student again
>she left smiling with a small glistening white droplet on the corner of her mouth again
>>
>>6296598
Eastern Europe or Asia
>>
One time I had a professor that used the phrase "enlightened those dark-skinned savages" when talking about European colonization of Africa. He said it with a straight face so I don't think he was being ironic.
>>
>>6296598
Some Eastern European shithole?
>>
>>6296618
>>6296622
yes
>>
>>6296589
Those people are the biggest incels.
>>
>>6296564
>Professor does an April fools joke lecture
>It's about 15 minutes before anyone works up the nerve to challenge him on his obviously wrong stuff.
I'm not sure who that most badly reflected on.
>>
>professor brings out the NVA torture live demonstration again
>>
>take Old Testament class
>professor starts literally just reading from the Book of Joshua
>christniggers in the class get butthurt
>>
>>6296684
Anon, Christians wouldn't be Christians if they stopped and read the Old Testament carefully. What exactly surprises you about this?
>>
>>6296630
You're from Poland or...? because Poland is not a shithole.
>>
File: laughingspiderman.png (300 KB, 512x341)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
>>6296695
>Poland is not a shithole
>>
>>6296706
Is not, thought
>>
>>6296741
Then why do its people leave it in droves to work as menial labor in other countries? Literally the Mexico of Europe
>>
>>6296741
t.1/476486577 """"Polish""""-American
>>
>take art history class in HS
>teacher calls the German exchange students "huns" and says Englishmen are uncreative
>calls Hillary Clinton a communist
>calls me and all the other non-white kids in the class 'south americans'
he was pretty based
>>
>>6296589
VERY based
>>
>>6296639
Fuck you.
>>
>>6296564
>in European studies class as I type this in a california school
>professor (female) spends more time talking about women's roles in WW1 than the actual war
>>
I had a philosophy professor (like some 300 course on morality) who spent two classes carefully explaining why the official 9/11 narrative makes no sense and spelling out the relevant evidence that is inconsistent with it with pictures and everything.

He also made clear that moral relativism is incorrect, in no uncertain terms and using cold hard logic. Based, in short.
>>
>>6296589
Doesn't surprise me.
>>
>take Spanish class
>professor brings out his atheism and talks about Spanish inquisition killing muslims and Jews. And how don Quixote is an atheistic critique of Catholicism
>>
>>6297104
>moral relativism is incorrect, in no uncertain terms and using cold hard logic. Based, in short.

>Doubt.jpg
>>
>>6296564
based professor.
fuck niggers.
fin.
>>
>>6297166
if you don't have an objective standard for right and wrong you aren't speaking in moral terms, but rather about your feefees and other related faggotry

cultural differences don't matter at all, a culture celebrating throwing homos off tall buildings doesn't make it not evil
>>
>>6296564
>Be me, in med school during lecture
>Professor is talking with another doctor who is doing surgery as they talk (to demonstrate how the surgery is performed, surgeon has a small camera on his head)
>They mention a disease mostly found in the tropics
>Surgeon: "Perhaps there are any students from Suriname in the room who have heard of this disease?"
>Professor: "Are there any people from Suriname here?"
>(no response)
>Professor: "Apparently there aren't any, or they are all asleep"
>Surgeon: "Then you know they're really from Suriname"
>both laugh
It was based but also weird
>>
>>6296589
fucking based
>>
File: 634576456.jpg (54 KB, 741x649)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>6296564
I can only imagine
>>
File: 1511232711341.png (564 KB, 617x614)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
>>6296564
>history of japanese in hawaii class
>it has a focus on "ethical issues"
>paper on our opinion toward Japanese interment
>say that it wasn't cool, but that it was"understandable that the wartime US government was suspicious of Japanese immigrants after pearl harbor"
>cite sources including the professor's textbook, cultural mood of the time, Niihau incident, etc.
>C-
>mfw I'm full blown japanese
>mfw I find out he's an ethnic studies professor on loan to our department
>mfw I'm wrong for giving my opinion on a question asking for my opinion

He really just circled the passages he didn't want to hear and wrote "incorrect" next to them....
>>
>>6297104
Based in your opinion.
>>
>>6297104
Please explain what you can remember of the moral relativism. That's an interesting point for a prof to try to make
>>
>>6297269
This is reason #2, despite really liking humanities, I majored in STEM.
>>
>>6297210
>cultural differences don't matter at all, a culture celebrating throwing homos off tall buildings doesn't make it not evil
>implying
>>
>>6297286
You made the right choice. I fucking regret my degree. I could've been a botanist but I chose faggot instead
>>
>>6297269
r/asablackman much?

kek, what a shitty larp whitey "Hey bros Japanese here, I wish my people were oppressed by you :) shame a fucking non european ethnicity libtard stopped me >:("
>>
>>6297210
Wait what? What is the basis of all of humanity's concept of right and wrong? There's not really any true objectivity is there? Nothing innate in our DNA that gives us that guidance. It's learned and therefore tainted by cultural differences. I get what you are saying and that it would be nice to have objective, species-wide morality, but that just isn't reality. It's something to strive for, not something that already is.
>>
>>6297277
it was like one of the first things he covered
can't really remember shit and probably didn't take good notes, but it's undeniable really

probably misquoting him and this is mostly what I believe, basically in order to think morally you have to rely on an objective moral standard you can use to judge actions in different situations

different people can disagree on what that standard is, but they have to agree that objectivity is a necessary part of moral systems otherwise they're meaningless
>>
>>6296750
Because it's easy.
>>
>>6296564
>teacher starts with "muh middle ages bad n sheeeit" and blames the church
>>
>>6297352
>referencing reddit
go back
>>
>>6297352
It astounds me that you would bother to browse a history board; You'll only find sadness here.
>>
>>6297367
>it would be nice to have objective, species-wide morality

no see we already do
there actually is a universal moral standard, it's just that we (or at least most of us) don't really know what that is or what "shape" it takes

which is why you see the differences of opinion on things from person to person and culture to culture
>Nothing innate in our DNA that gives us that guidance

debatable, you could very easily make the case for moral ideation being inborn rather than learned
>>
>>6297377
See >>6297367

I think I understand better now. I think what the prof meant was that it needs to work that way. That it should work that way, and I agree. But that isn't how it actually works. The first thing he should've taught before that is that people aren't inherently fair.
>>
File: 1524621049393.png (486 KB, 500x762)
486 KB
486 KB PNG
>>6296564
>professor makes us watch a video about how Europeans unjustly raped Africa during the 18th and 19th centuries right before Spring Break
>goes to Africa over Spring Break to help build a church or something
>literally contracts malaria and dies like a month later because of it
>>
>>6297410
What would the standard be? What shape? I wish human experimentation was doable so that we could test this out with tribes of uncontacted children. This is something i think about often
>>
>>6297418
fucking #SHREKT
>>
>>6297416
oh no he was quite clear, even emphatic about why it's wrong and how bad it is that it's so heavily shilled in certain academic circles and really liked Kant's approach, but walked us through the various holes in his principle (ie lying to an axe murderer asking where your family is hidden being wrong)

>>6297435
could be blood for the blood god type shit for all I know man
>>
>>6297472
I had a thought in the shower just now. I think the closest thing to universal human morality is subjective fear of punishment. If you think about why a tribe of uncontacted savages with very basic culture (assuming that they understand the concept of the future) might not kill or steal from each other, it's more because they know that there are repercussions than that they know it is wrong. The idea of right and wrong probably comes FROM that fear (or lack thereof) rather than being afraid because you innately know you've done wrong /right. In this, though, it makes it so that they wouldn't ask have the same level of fear because some are stronger or faster than others. It is still a learned concept, but the fear is something we are born with (excluding psychopaths, non-vanilla mind types, etc) and I think that it probably shaped our concepts of right and wrong. It's mitigation of fear from the repercussions of one's actions.
>>
>>6297541
They wouldn't all*
>>
>>6297541
fear is irrational though
in my estimation moral thought processes are higher order

anyways there's this
>The explicit making of moral right and wrong judgments coincides with activation in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (VMPC) while intuitive reactions to situations containing implicit moral issues activates the temporoparietal junction area.[35][33]

>Mirror neurons are neurons in the brain that fire when another person is observed doing a certain action. The neurons fire in imitation of the action being observed, causing the same muscles to act minutely in the observer as are acting grossly in the person actually performing the action. Research on mirror neurons, since their discovery in 1996,[38] suggests that they may have a role to play not only in action understanding, but also in emotion sharing empathy. Cognitive neuro-scientist Jean Decety thinks that the ability to recognize and vicariously experience what another individual is undergoing was a key step forward in the evolution of social behavior, and ultimately, morality.[39] The inability to feel empathy is one of the defining characteristics of psychopathy, and this would appear to lend support to Decety's view.[40][41]
>>
File: 1551097107758.png (10 KB, 489x423)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
What kind of fucking schools do you guys go to where your professors are always trying to force their agenda down your throat? I go to a mid-tier uni in a major US city and my professors are all matter of fact and present everything as objectively as possible. I feel sorry for some of you but moreso for the retards that probably buy into that propaganda
>>
>>6297541
yeah come to think of it not stealing because you're afraid of being caught or not getting away with it isn't moral, it's just pragmatic
even animals do that shit, just consider monkeys, crows, and jackals

it's hard to say animals can be moral in the way humans can, although a case can be made in that regard at least selectively
>>
I would go so far as to say it's possible to argue stealing because you're afraid of being caught is less immoral than not stealing for the same reason.
>>
>>6297576
I went to a community college in the South. We got both sides actually; the English professor was definitely a far-left SJW type, but our Math teacher was a Young-Earth Creationist and an anti-vaxxer.

Funnily enough the most sane and rational teacher I had was the American History teacher.
>>
>>6297576
one of my professors kept a copy of The Bell Curve in a research area, she highly recommends it.
>>
File: 1536907774640.jpg (1.42 MB, 3182x2045)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>6297573
That's really interesting. I think empathy at that subconscious level helped us conglomerate into societies, but the rules we then created were based on the fear of having all of that fall apart. We are pack animals so there is that need to feel for each other and work together. But we are smart enough to allow our irrationality seep into our conscious thoughts. I think that morality was inevitable for us, but that it isn't a necessarily inherent feature. The subconscious tools for us to create morality are there from the start, but what we do with them becomes subjective when our irrational fears of repercussion made us create the rules by which our societies live.
This is the best thread in which I've ever participated. Thanks for the discussion, guys. Keep going guys I'm hooked
>>
>>6297633
I think it would depend on the circumstances of why you are stealing, but I think I see where you're going with this
>>
File: tired pepe cropped.jpg (4 KB, 327x137)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>6297352
Reddit tourists like you have ruined every semi-popular board on this site for quite a while now.
>>
>>6297576

I find that things in this thread happen the most in two scenarios:

1. High school history/literature classes in the Northeast/West Coast in the U.S.
2. Public Universities in 100 - early 200 level humanities courses.

The common denominator here is entry level courses that get taught to people that usually don't want to be in the class. The easiest way to get the students engaged is to say controversial things to get people talking. Couple this with the classes being entry level meaning any dumbass with a history/lit degree can teach them and you have a setup for leftist ideologues to thrive.
>>
>>6297687
Leftists thrive because history has a bias against the right wing.
>>
>>6297687
Makes sens when you put it that way
>>6297699
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>6297269
>Hey westerners please drop more nukes on my country
>>
>>6297709
Every right wing decision was wrong.
See slavery.
>>
File: 1549668298637.jpg (84 KB, 728x527)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>6297724
I don't feel much for nationalism, so if it happens, it happens. I just try to observe as myself. I guess I'm a Romantic in that way. In the end of it all, I don't feel that loyal to anything but myself. I am all I've got.
>>
>>6296589
NAZBOL
>>
>>6296564
I’m sure it gets tiring.
>>
>>6297780
Redpillman teach me your ways
>>
>>6298125
I wouldn't even know how. I don't pretend to be a preacher. I guess the best advice I could give you is to try to get as close to objectivity as you can. I enjoyed reading Reason in History by Carr. It gave me deeper perspective which helped me cherish the emotional and human parts of life, while at the same time understanding things from a wider objective view. I feel peace.
>>
>>6298284
I wouldn't say that I totally agree with the book. It just helped me think.
>>
>>6297726
>wrong
There's no such thing
>>
>>6297780
It's not nationalism. It's objectivity.
Is it actually fair to imprison Japanese immigrants for something their country decided to randomly do?
You should see if they imprisoned German immigrants. I bet they didn't. It was just simple racism so your opinion was wrong.
>>
>>6298413
I didn't say it was right. I said I understood it. The world isn't and has never been perfect so I don't expect modern fairness when I look at history. If you read my original post, he asked us what we thought of internment and I said "uncool but understandable." My issue is with him implying that there's no way that it is understandable. There's a certain lack of temporal empathy on his part and of course in hindsight it looks bad.
>>
>>6297210
>if you don't have an objective standard for right and wrong you aren't speaking in moral terms, but rather about your feefees and other related faggotry
the whole moral relativist argument is that morality is a culturally conditioned emotional response. I don't understand your objection.
>>
>>6298995
they don't really have a moral system even though they might pretend to
they can't even recognize the implicit objectivity lodged within their own argument, it's almost self contradictory

to say morality is just behavior and nothing else is to completely miss the point
it's an overly simplistic mischaracterization of the subject at hand, I don't think you give them enough credit
>>
>>6296620
How could telling the truth be ironic?
>>
>>6299070
oh i also think moral relativism is incoherent. my point was just that it doesn't make sense to criticize it by saying it's really only concerned with "feelings," as that's exactly what moral relativists purport to believe.
>>
>>6296564
What purity? lol
>>
>>6297377
>So like it's completely subjective
>But if we have to live together we are going to have to pretend that it's objective so let's take mine as the standard and go home ok ?
Moral relativists BTFO
>>
>>6296695
it is
and I say it being a Pole myself
>>
>>6296695
>>6299157
also Poland is a shithole but it's not such a fucking racist country as westerners seem to think,openly racist and nazi teacher would be kicked out instantly
>>
>>6296684
>>6296691
Fake and gay but nice try rabbi
>>
>>6297166
>hasn’t read critique of morality
>>
>>6299136
No more like
>even if we disagree on a moral issue we do not disagree that moral issues exist
>we agree that morality can be understood
>>6297416
Moral relativism is a demonstrably false position.
>>
>>6296589
any other stories where he's let on his political views?
>>
>>6296589
Same.
>>
>>6296639
So were Jesus and Isaac Newton.
>>
>>6299183
>I think this is good
>Well i don't think it is
>Both of you are arguing about moral issues so that means morality is objective !
Relativists BTFO yet again

Also no, in what way can morality be "understood"
Still waiting for that demonstration against moral relativism by the way.
>>
>>6296589
The only sensible alignment
>>
>>6299122
>>6296564
This. Fucking farmers, I swear.
>>
>>6297699
>muh whig historiography
>muh current year
unironically kys
>>
>>6296589
>amerimutts
>left/right ideologia
Two things that should be wiped out
>>
>>6296741
It's one of the biggest shitholes in the world

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.